Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 147 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 147 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tary supplies. On his return he was commissioned surgeon in the
provisional army, and assigned to hospital duty at Staunton. Or-
dered to Danville in the winter of 1862, he remained there about
four months, treating the small-pox among the prisoners. In the
spring of 1863 he was assigned to duty as surgeon of the Sixty-
second Virginia infantry, with which command he served in the-
battle of New Market. Subsequently assigned to the Twenty-sec-
ond Virginia cavalry, he served at the battles at Winchester,.
Fisher's Hill and near Luray, and until after the fight at Gor-
donsville, when he was incapacitated, February, 1865, by sickness,
for further service. During almost the entire period since the
war Dr. Wayt has conducted a drug business at Staunton in con-
nection with his practice. He has served four years in the city
council, and two years as a member of the board of the western
State hospital.

Joseph F. Weaver, of Portsmouth, a Confederate of varied and
interesting war experience, was born at Portsmouth April 24, 1833,
the son of George and Ann (Lightboy) Weaver. His father was
connected with the navy yard, as engineer in charge of the pumps,
and contracted disease in that service from which he died in 1839.
His mother, a native of England, came to America at the age of
five years, and died in 1887. At the outbreak of war Mr. Weaver
was employed in spar and mast making and the ship carpenter's
department of the Gosport navy yard, and was a member of the
Portsmouth Rifles, a company of the Third Virginia militia regi-
ment. He went into service with his company April 21st, and
after a few days on guard at the navy yard, they were ordered to
Pig Point, where they constructed the first four-gun battery in the



1246 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Confederate service, cutting the timber themselves and btiilding
a strong earthwork, where they subsequently made a spirited fight
against the Federal boat Harriet Lane. In December, 1861, Mr.
Weaver was appointed carpenter in the Confederate navy, and
was ordered to report to Commodore Lynch at New Bern, N. C.
Then being ordered back to Portsmouth, he was assigned to the
Sea Bird, under Lieut. Patrick McCarrick, the flagship of Com-
modore Ljrnch. He took part in the capture of a Federal schooner
near Old Point Comfort, and then at Roanoke island in January,
1862, he took part in the naval battle against the Federal fleet ac-
companying Bumside's expedition. Commodore Lynch thence re-
tired up the Pasquotank to Elizabeth City and sent Captain Hunter
to Norfolk for ammunition. Here their little fleet of six vessels
was overwhelmed by the fourteen Federal warships and Mr.
Weaver was taken prisoner. After being held for a time on board
a Federal ship he was released. He made his way to Richmond
from Portsmouth, through the Federal lines, and reporting to the
secretary of the navy, was ordered to Charleston, where he was
assigned to the steamer Chicora during its construction and equip-
ment, after which he served on that vessel under Capt John R.
Tucker, until 1864. Then applying for transfer to the army or his
discharge, he was granted the latter. But he immediately joined
his family at Richmond and during the remainder of the war
served in the navy yard at Rockett's and as a soldier in the de-
fense of the city. During the greater part of the years which have
since elapsed, he has been conducting quite successfully a retail
drug business at Portsmouth, and has rendered efficient public
service as a member of the city council and the school board. In
185s he was married to Harriet F. Morgan, and they have five
chUdren living: Samuel W., Hattie F., wife of James E. Williams;
Orie P., Lillie H. and Joseph F., Jr.

John S. Webber, assistant chief of the fire department of Nor-
folk, and a veteran of the artillery of the army of Northern Vir-
ginia, was bom at Norfolk in 1843. His father, John Webber,
son of William Webber, a native of England, was an officer in the
United States navy. His mother was Lucie, daughter of Paul
Doto, a native of France. Mr. Webber was reared and educated
at his native city, and at the age of seventeen became a member
of the United artillery, under command of Captain KeviU, and
with this command entered as a private the service of the Con-
federate States. Subsequently he was transferred to Captain
Young's floating artillery, but on account of his familiarity with
the arts of sailmaking was detailed by Governor Letcher in the
manufacture of tents for the army. He was thus engaged at Rich-
mond until 1862, when he enlisted with the Fayette artillery, with
which he served during the remainder of the war, doing the full
duty of a soldier and earning promotion to the rank of sergeant
He joined the Fayette artillery at Yorktown early in 1862 and par-
ticipated in the subsequent campaign on the peninsula until the
two days' struggle at Seven Pines, when he received a severe
woimd in the neck which disabled him for about four months.
After his return to his command he took part in the battle of
Chancellorsville, and then, attached to the artillery battalion of
Pickett's division of Longstreet's corps, participated in the Peim-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1247

sylvania campaign and the mighty three days' struggle at Gettys-
burg. During the retreat he was often engaged with the enemy,
and during the succeeding campaign in Virginia fought at Bristoe
Station and other affairs. In 1864 he was actively engaged at the
Wilderness and thence to Richmond and Petersburg, where he
served in defense of the capital until the evacuation. In this serv-
ice he was again wounded. On the final retreat he fought at
Sailor's Creek and near High Bridge, being captured at the latter
place April 7, 1865. Thence he was transported to City Point and
Point Lookout and held until paroled June 24, 1865. Sergeant
Webber also served in the campaign, in North Carolina in various
engagements, the most important of which were at New Bern and
Plymouth. After the end of the war he resided at Philadelphia
until 1866, when he returned to Norfolk and entered the fire de-
partment. In this department he has rendered brave and faithful
service, which was appropriately recognized by his promotion, in
January, 1897, to the position of assistant chief. In 1870 he was
married to Caroline Marys, of Norfolk, and they have eight chil-
dren living: Lucy Paul, wife of Harold Childs, of North Caro-
lina; Sarah Lottie, wife of Edwin Page, of Norfolk; Madeline,
wife of Harry Cage, of Norfolk; Caroline, wife of Charles Law-
rence, of Norfolk; John J., William S., Charles C. and Oliver A.

Captain Charles Lanstran Weller, of Staunton, is a native
of Richmond, where he was reared and educated. In 1861 he
went to Staunton and enlisted in Company C of the Fifty-second
Virginia infantry regiment, as a private. His meritorious service
and high standing with his comrades led to his promotion to sec-
ond lieutenant in March, 1863, and to first lieutenant soon after-
ward. He was commissioned captain in March, 1865, after he had
been performing the duties of that rank in command of his com-
pany for a year previous. His regiment was in the brigade of
Gen. Edward Johnson, near Staunton, at the opening of the Val-
ley campaign under Stonewall Jackson, having previously fought
in the engagement of Greenbrier river, and on Jackson's advance
from Staunton, participated in the affair at Allegheny Mountain
and the battle of McDowell against Schenck and Milroy. Soon
afterward he participated in the valley battles of Front Royal,
Middletown and Port Republic, and continued to share the for-
tunes of Jackson's corps, in the brigade commanded successively
by Generals Elzey and Early, participating in the Seven Days'
battles before Richmond, Second Manassas, First and Second
Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Subsequently his regiment
was in Ewell's corps. Captain Weller was wounded at Fredericks-
burg, December 13, 1862, and at the Second Fredericksburg, May,
1863, was severely hurt by a fragment of shell, which prevented
his participation in the Gettysburg campaign, though he took part
in the defeat of Milroy at Winchester. In the campaign of 1864
he fbught in the battles of the Wilderness and at Spottsylvania,
receiving a third wound, in the leg, but was again in command
of his company before Petersburg, serving in the trenches several
months and taking part in the battle of Hatcher's Run, and the
famous sally under Gordon against Fort Steadman, March 25,
1865, when he was captured by the enemy and sent to Fort Dela-
ware, where he remained as a prisoner of war until paroled, June



1248 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

21, 1865. This closed his worthy record as an officer of the array
of Northern Virginia. In 1868 he removed from Richmond to
Staunton, where he has since resided, occupying an influential
place in the community. He has rendered valuable service to the
city during eight years as a councilman.

J. L. Welton, of Portsmouth, a gallant Virginian who came
home from Appomattox in 1865, a veteran of Mahone's brigade at
the age of twenty years, is of good old Virginia stock, his family
having been residents of Greenesville county for many years. He
was born there in 1845, the son of J. W. Welton and his wife,
Rebecca B. Harrison. He was in school during the first year of
the war, but in the spring of 1862, took a sudden and unannounced
departure from home, and just after the battle of Seven Pines, en-
listed in Company I of the Twelfth Virginia infantry regiment.
Very soon afterward he received his introduction to war during
the operations of his brigade, under General Mahone, in the Pe-
ninsular campaign, particularly in the bloody assault on Malvern
Hill. Subsequently he took part in the battle of Second Ma-
nassas, was one of the heroes who held the Federal army at bay
on Crampton's Gap of the South mountain, participated in the
battle of Sharpsburg, and later at Brandy Station. In 1863 he
fought at Chancellorsville, at Gettysburg on the second and third
days, and was in the Bristoe and Mine Run campaigns. During.
1864 he was at the front in the campaign from the Wilderness to
Cold Harbor, and then stationed on the Petersburg lines, took
part in much severe fighting, including the battle of the Crater.
In the latter desperate fight he narrowly escaped death at the
hands of three negro soldiers, who attacked him with clubbed
muskets, but were all killed by Emmet Richardson of Company K.
Finally in the engagement at Five Forks he joined in the retreat
which followed and surrendered with Lee at Appomattox. After
his return home this faithful soldier, who had gained the rank of
sergeant of his company, and manifested his cool bravery on many
bloody fields, attended school for six months, and then began his
career in civil life. Entering the service of the Petersburg &
Weldon railroad, he was soon given the position of locomotive
engineer. Four years later he was, for a few months, in the service
of the Norfolk & Western road, then under the presidency of his
old commander, General Mahone. Since then he has acted as
engineer eleven years with the Wilmington & Weldon and seven-
teen years with the Seaboard Air Line railroad, displaying in this
responsible position the same courage and trustworthiness which
characterized his military career. By his marriage in 1866 to Miss
Catherine Victoria Bendall, he has two sons, Charles R. and
Richard F., both well-known business men of Portsmouth, and
two daughters, Mary V. and Fanny R.

Thomas I. West, adjutant of Peachy-Gilmer-Breckinridge camp.
Confederate Veterans, Botetourt county, enlisted on April 6,
1861, in the Greenbrier Rifles, organized at Lewisburg, W. Va.
This became Company E of the Twenty-seventh regiment, Stone-
wall brigade, with which Comrade West was identified throughout
the four years' war. He served at Harper's Ferry under Jackson,
participated in the expedition to Falling Waters, and there was
taken with pneumonia which caused him to be left at Martins-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1249

burg when that place was abandoned by General Johnston. When
the Federals took possession he was transferred to the hospitable
home of two ladies and cared for but kept under guard. As the
time approached when he could be moved North he was aided by
the ladies to escape. Recovering his strength in time to return
to duty in September, 1861, he rejoined Jackson's command and
served gallantly in the ranks at Kernstown, McDowell, Winches-
ter, Cross Keys and Port Republic. At Second Manassas he was
wounded, and again at Chancellorsville while in the famous charge
at Hooker's headquarters. He lay on the field till dark, and was
reported killed, but fortunately recovered and rejoined his gallant
company. Previously first sergeant, he was now made commissary
of the regiment. In January, 1865, on the Petersburg lines, he was
detailed by General Terry in response to a request of Gen. C. A.
Evans, commanding division, for a courier who would go when
and where he was sent. In this duty he never failed. In the fight
at Deatonsville, during the retreat from Richmond, he carried or-
ders through a murderous fire, and from then until the surrender
acted as aide-de-camp to General Evans.

William T. Westwood, a gallant artilleryman of the Second
corps of the army of Northern Virginia, was born at Hampton,
May 16, 1836. His father, John S. Westwood, a native of Elizabeth
City county, for many years held the position of collector of the
port at Hampton, and was beloved for his good deeds as a local
preacher in the Methodist church. The father of the latter was
William Westwood, and his father, who bore the same name,
founded the family in Virginia, emigrating from England. The
wife of John S. Westwood was Hiza Stanworth, of Welsh descent.
William T. Westwood was educated at the Hampton military
academy under John B. Cary, and engaged in mercantile pursuits
until April, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in the Hampton
light artillery. He served with this command at Yorktown under
Magruder, and remained in the peninsula taking part in the opera-
tions of the artillery until after the defeat of McClellan, in the
meantime, on May 28, 1862, having been transferred to the King
William artillery, under command of Capt. T. H. Carter. With
this command, attached to D. H. Hill's division of Jackson's corps,
he took part in the subsequent campaigns, including many engage-
ments, the principal among which were the Seven Pines battles,
Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and
Gettysburg. On September 14, 1863, while participating in an ar-
tillery duel at Somerville ford, on the Rapidan river, he received
a severe shoulder wound from the explosion of a shell from the
enemy's guns, which killed one man and wounded eight others in
his battery. He was in hospital at Richmond eight months on
account of this injury, and never fully recovered, losing the use
of his left arm permanently. He was given an honorable discharge,
whereupon he entered the quartermaster-general's department at
Richmond, and remained there, winning promotion by efficient
service, until the close of hostilities. Mr. Westwood resided at
Smithfield from 1866 to 1871, was then for two years a foreman
of railway construction with his home at Richmond, and subse-
quently held for nine years a responsible position in the mechan-
ical department of the Hampton normal and agricultural institute.



1250 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

In 1889 he was elected town clerk, and since then has been contin-
uously re-elected to this office. He is a member of R. E. Lee
camp. No. 3, Confederate Veterans. June 24, 1857, Mr. Westwood
was married to Hannah D. Hutchinson, of Washington, D. C,
who died in August, 1896, leaving three daughters, Mary E., Han-
nah D., wife of Thomas W. Keaton, and Lizzie Lee, wife of B. L.
Turnbull.

Lyman B. Wharton, D. D., in 1864 chaplain of a gallant Virginia
regiment of Anderson's corps, and now chaplain of Magruder-
Ewell camp, Confederate Veterans, as well as performing the duties
of a professor in the college of William and Mary, was born and
reared in Bedford City, Va. His father was Rev. John Austin
Wharton, an attorney, judge, and Episcopal clergyman of Bedford
county, who was born March 22, 1803, and died June 20, 1888. He
was the son of John Wharton, of English descent. The mother of
Professor Wharton was Isabella Brown, a native of Berkshire,
county, Mass., born in 1811, died 1895, who married Judge Whar-
ton in 1829, and bore him three sons and six daughters. John E.,
one of the sons, was a cadet at the Virginia military institute at
the beginning of the war, and subsequently served in the army of
Northern Virginia. Dr. Lyman B. Wharton studied in youth two
years at the university of Virginia, then taught two years, and after-
ward pursued the study of theology at the Episcopal seminary at
Alexandria. He was ordained at Lynchburg, by Bishop Meade,
November 8, 1858, and performed the duties of rector in Charlotte
county until the spring of 1864, when he entered the Confederate
service as chaplain of the Fifty-ninth Virginia regiment. He ac-
companied his command on the retreat from Petersburg, and was
present at Appomattox. He was subsequently rector in Montgom-
ery county and at Abingdon until 1870, when he accepted the chair
of Greek and German at William and Mary college, which he held
until 1871, Latin and French having meanwhile been added to his
department. In 1874 he received the degree of D. D. from this
college. The embarrassments of the institution compelled him to
find other educational work until 1888, when the college was re-
opened and he was called to his former duties. Of late his chair
has been the professorship of Latin. In 1877 he was married to
Paulina Taylor, who died August 19, 1897.

Morton Byron Wharton, D. D., a distinguished representative
of the spirited, patriotic and devoted Christian ministry to which
the South is greatly indebted, is a Virginian by birth and a mem-
ber of the American family founded by Sir George Wharton, who
came from Westmoreland, England, in the early days of the com-
monwealth. In honor of this noble progenitor, Over Wharton par-
ish, in Spottsylvania county, is named, as is related in Bishop
Meade's history. Dr. Wharton was bom April S, 1839, in Orange
county. At the age of eighteen, while residing at Alexandria, he
was converted and became a member of the Baptist church. In
October, 1858, in preparation for the ministry, he entered Rich-
mond college, where he was graduated early in 1861. He then
entered the military school of the university of Virginia, and sub-
sequently through the recommendation of J. S. Barber, since
United States senator, he was appointed clerk to Hon. A. M. Bar-
ber, chief quartermaster of the army. While stationed at Center-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1251

ville, he was thrown into frequent contact with the great military
leaders. In i8& he was stationed at Gbrdonsville with Maj. George
Johnston, serving as pay-clerk and rendering valuable service in
the collection of grain and teams. As the agent of the Sunday-
school and publication board at Richmond he traveled through
Georgia and parts of Alabama, and met with great success in rais-
ing funds to supply the brave boys in the field with Bibles and
religious literature. He also preached at diflferent places to the
soldiers. Being in Richmond a few days before the surrender he
and his wife accepted the invitation of Major Speed, of Alabama,
to accompany to Georgia a party which included Mrs. Howell,
mother-in-law of the president, and Mrs. Waller and children.
After a journey of three weeks they reached Washington, Ga., on
the route which Mr. Davis and thousands of broken and disheart-
ened soldiers soon followed. During the latter part of the war
period he also rendered notable service as the agent of the domes-
tic and Indian mission board of the Southern Baptist convention.
Subsequently he served as pastor of the Eufaula, Ala., Baptist
church, where he brought about the building of a handsome new
house of worship; of the Walnut street church, Louisville, Ky.,
and the Greene street church, Augusta, Ga., at all these places
leading in a remarkable improvement in membership and in the
benevolences of the churches. These labors left him, in 1876, so
sadly broken in health, that he retired to his farm in southwestern
Georgia, and remained there in seclusion until prevailed upon to
undertake the collection of the quota of Georgia for the Southern
Baptist theological seminary. Meeting with entire success in this
undertaking, he then became corresponding secretary of the semi-
nary, with the duty of raising $20,000 annually for the current ex-
penses of the institution. After a few years of this work at Au-
gusta, he accepted from President Garfield the appointment as
United States consul at Sonneberg-Coberg, Germany, and spent
some years abroad. Returning with fresh enthusiasm for the work
of the church, he held for two years, and with marked ability, the
position of editor-in-chief of the Christian Index, published at
Atlanta, Ga. Since then he has served as a pastor for six years
at the First Baptist church of Montgomery, Ala., where he re-
ceived six hundred members, and since 1891 at the Baptist church
of Norfolk, Va., succeeding Rev. J. L. Burrows, D. D. Here his
labors have been in no degree abated, nor permitted to be in any
way less effective. Five hundred new members have been received
into the church, and large sums of money have been raised for
benevolences and the improvement of the magnificent place of wor-
ship. Early in his career his abilities were recognized by the con-
ferring of the title of D. D. by the Washington and Lee university.
As a preacher he is gifted with an extraordinary memory which
never fails in its fund of illustration, a fine power of analysis and
broad grasp of the essential relations of things, and an oratorical
power that brings large congregations within the influence of his
logic and human sympathy. He finds time for many channels of
usefulness; as a trustee of Mercer university, of the Baptist
orphans home, and of the Southern Baptist theological seminary;
has delivered many public addresses, such as before the South-
ern Baptist convention, the Monteagle assembly, the Interna-



1252 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

tional convention at Martha's Vineyard, and the International
young people's union. In literature he has also won laurels, as
the author of "European Notes, or What I Saw in the Old
World," "The Famous Women of the Old World," "The Famous
Women of the New World," and a recent book of Poems which
has had a large circulation. He is a member of the Sons of the
American Revolution, by right of the distinguished service of his
grandfather, who was wounded at Yorktown. Dr. Wharton has
two brothers living. Rev. Dr. H. M. Wharton, of Baltimore, and
Rev. J. S. Wharton, M. D., of Tallapoosa, Ga. The latter was

.an eminent surgeon during the war, attached to the hospitals at
Richmond and Lynchburg. Dr. Wharton was married in 1864 to
Belle, daughter of Rev. C. M. Irvin, D. D., of Georgia, and they
have two children, Mrs. John M. Moore, of Atlanta, and M. B.
Wharton, Jr., of Graham, N. C.

Captain William H. Wheary, of Petersburg, Va., rendered ef-
ficient service to the Confederacy both as a manufacturer of sup-

^plies for the army and as a soldier at the front. He was born in
Baltimore county, Md., in 1836, the son of Joseph and Ann M.

'(Richmond) Wheary. His father was a merchant and later a man-
ufacturer of cotton goods, and the son was reared to that industry,
learning the craft of a cotton spinner in Maryland, and at the out-
break of the war being superintendent of cotton mills at Peters-
burg. His father entered the Confederate service and had the rank
of orderly-sergeant of his company, survived the war, and died in
1888. The Confederate government took charge of the cotton mills
early in the war period, and required the employes and superin-
tendent to remain at their posts, and this subject continued there

• on duty during the greater part of the war, in the course of his
work making the first tent cloth ever produced in the State. A
company was finally organized at the mills and W. H. Wheary
was elected captain. In command of this organization, entitled
Company B of Hood's battalion, he took part in the operations
under Beauregard for the defense of Petersburg, until in the fight

- of June IS, 1864, he was captured by the enemy. He was impris-



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 147 of 153)