Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 151 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 151 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Anne county March 4, 1804, and they had six children, of whom
the only survivor is Captain Wilson. He received his education
at the Norfolk military academy and the university of Virginia.
At the commencement of the war he left the university to enlist
as a private in the volunteer organizations for the defense of the
State. On April 22, 1861, he was made second lieutenant of Com-
pany A of the Sixth Virginia infantry, and served in that rank
until the reorganization in 1862, when he was promoted first lieu-
tenant. On November 8, 1862, he was promoted captain of his
company, and on the organization of the sharpshooters of his
brigade in January, 1863, he was detached from his company and
assigned to the command of a company of sharpshooters. In
this capacity he rendered effective service until the battle of Cold
Harbor in June, 1864, when he was taken prisoner. Subsequently
he was confined at Fort Delaware until some time after the war
was over, not being released until June, 1865. During his service
he participated in all the skirmishes and battles of his command,
taking part in the Seven Days' battles before Richmond, at Fray-
ser's Farm, Charles City Road and Malvern Hill, and subsequently
in many engagements, the most important of which were the Sec-
ond Manassas, Crampton's Gap, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg,
Mine Run, Chancellorsville, Salem Church, the Wilderness,
Spottsylvania Court House. In the December following his re-
turn to civil life Captain Wilson established a book and stationery
store at Norfolk, which he conducted until January, 1874, when
he sold the business and turned his attention to farming. He
has since been engaged in the management of lands near Norfolk
and in Princess Anne county, and since 1874 has resided in a
beautiful farm home near the city of Norfolk. He is a very pop-
ular gentleman, and influential in many ways for the best interests
of his community. He was married December 9, 1869, to Pamela
Boiling West, daughter of Thomas B. West, of Norfolk, and they
have six children now living: Charles Boiling, Louisa Seaton,
Francis Deleware, Gary Robinson, Thomas Seaton, and Virginia

John T. Wilson, a popular dental surgeon at Lexington, Va.,
was born in Rockbridge county in 1838. Here he received his
early training and education, and left Lexington on June 8, 1861,
as a member of the Liberty Hall Volunteers, a company which
contributed some gallant spirits to the Confederate cause. Being
incorporated in the Fourth Virginia regiment of infantry as Com-
pany I, it did its full share in winning the laurels of Jackson's
Stonewall brigade, and the fame of Jackson's corps of the army
of Northern Virginia. The military career of Dr. Wilson was
identified with that of his regiment and the Stonewall brigade
until the battle of Chancellorsville, where their gallant commander
fell. In that engagement he was wounded in the thigh, and so
seriously that he was permanently disabled for active service in
the field. He was, however, able at the beginning of the year
1864 to accept an assignment in the quartermaster's department,
where he served six months. Subsequently he was ordered to
Lexington, to serve as assistant to the commandant at that post.
In the performance of these duties he continued until the war
was closed in Virginia by_ the surrender of General Lee. Notable
among the engagements in which he served with honor may be


mentioned the battles of Falling Waters, Winchester, Charlestown,
Cold Harbor, Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas,
and Chancellorsville. At Second Manassas he received a gunshot
wound in the hand._ After the close of hostilities he returned to
the duties of civil life, and presently prepared himself for a pro-
fessional career as a dental surgeon, to which he has devoted him-
self up to the present time. He enjoys an enviable professional
reputation and the general esteem as a worthy and valuable cit-

Captain Peter Eidson Wilson, of Staunton, Va., a veteran of the
Stonewall' brigade notable for devoted and faithful service, is a
native of Augusta county, born September 9, 1839. He was reared
and educated in his native county and in early manhood enlisted
in the service of his State. His military career began in April,
1861, as a private in the West View Volunteers, of Staunton, which
became Company F of the Fifth Virginia infantry regiment. In
the spring of 1862 his merit as a soldier was recognized by election
to the first lieutenancy, and after the battle of Second Manassas,
the captain becoming incapacitated by wounds, Lieutenant Wil-
son took command of the company and continued in that duty,
though he did not receive his commission as captain until the fall
of 1863. Soon after he first took command of his company he
was given charge of the skirmish line of the Stonewall brigade, a
capacity in which he served during the larger part of the remainder
of the war. At the time of the surrender of the army at Appo-
mattox, he was in command of his regiment. The principal bat-
tles in which he participated were Manassas, July 21, 1861; Kerns-
town, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg, and
Fredericksburg, in 1862; Chancellorsville and Mine Run in 1863;
the Wilderness in 1864, and the battle of Fort Steadman and the
fighting in the lines at Petersburg and on the retreat to Appo-
mattox in 1865. During the second day's fight at the Wilderness
while he was one hundred yards in front of the breastworks, both
his legs were broken by a minie ball, and this severe injury en-
tirely disabled him until January, 1865. After being paroled at
Appomattox he returned to Augusta county and found employ-
ment for a season on his father's farm, then attending Roanoke
college, and subsequently pursuing a course of studies at the
Bryant & Stratton college at Baltimore. He was in business at
Richmond for eight years, and continued in mercantile pursuits
at Staunton until 1889. In 1890 he entered the real estate busi-
ness, in which he is still engaged. He is a popular and influential
citizen, highly regarded alike by his former comrades and the
public generally. , r-

Captain Christopher V. Winfree, of Lynchburg, durmg the Con-
federate war one of the commanders of the Lynchburg Rifles,
was born at that city in 1826. He was educated at the Virgmia
military institute, with graduation in 1848, and subsequently fol-
lowed the profession of civil engineer for eight years at his native
State. As first lieutenant of the Lynchburg Rifles he entered the
Confederate service in June, 1861. The command became Com-
pany E of the Eleventh Virginia infantry regiment, under Col.
Samuel Garland, and was assigned to Longstreet's brigade of
Beauregard's army of the Potomac. With this regiment he par-
ticipated in the battles of Blackburn's Ford, Manassas and Dranes-


ville, in the summer of 1861, and was promoted captain of his
company. He held this rank until the reorganization in the spring
of 1862, when he returned to Lynchburg, and with a commission
as major in the Virginia service, took charge of the home guards.
A year later he entered the engineer corps of the army, in which
he continued to serve until the close of the war. After the sur-
render of the army of Lee he attempted to join the forces in
North Carolina under Johnston, but was halted at Danville by
news of the general surrender, and subsequently was paroled at
Lynchburg. After peace was restored he engaged in the manu-
facture of tobacco which he carried on with much success until
189s, when he retired from business. Captain Winfree is of a
family for many years identified with the history of the Old Do-
minion. His father, Christopher Winfree, was an extensive ship-
per of tobacco and died in 1858, at the age of seventy-three years.
His grandfather, Dr. John B. Tilden, served with the rank of
lieutenant in the war of the Revolution in the Pennsylvania line,
was at the surrender of Cornwallis, subsequently was a member of
the Order of Cincinnati, and died in 1837, about seventy-five years
of age.

L. M. Wingfield, of Berkley, Va., a veteran of Stuart's cavalry,
was born at Richmond, May 19, 1844, the son of William T. Wing-
field, who was for many years city paver at Richmond, served
during the war as a member of the Richmond Howitzers, and died
in 1875. Another son of the latter, William Joseph Wingfield,
was a member of Company H, Twenty-third Virginia regiment,
throughout the war and died in 1874. L. M. Wingfield enlisted
in a cavalry company organized at Richmond, which was sub-
sequently attached to the Tenth Virginia cavalry regiment. With
this company he was in the Manassas battle of July 21, 1861, and
the fights at Winchester and Ball's Blufif, later in the year, after
which he was in camp on the James river until the spring of 1862.
He participated in the operations of the cavalry during the Pe-
ninsular campaign from Williamsburg to Malvern Hill, and from
that time until the end of the war was identified with the service
of the brigade and division of W. H. F. Lee, taking part in a
great number of battles and skirmishes, prominent among which
were the fights at Bunker Hill, Fisher's Hill, Waynesboro, the
Wilderness and Spottsylvania, Yellow Tavern and Cold Harbor.
He received slight wounds on three occasions and in an engage-
ment at Winchester was seriously wounded, in consequence of
which he was for a considerable time in the general hospital at
Staunton. As was the case with most of the cavalry, he did not
surrender at Appomattox, but afterward went to Richmond and
gave his parole. Subsequently he traveled in the western States
for five years, and then returning to Virginia, he made his home
at Norfolk, where of recent years he has been quite successful,
engaged in business as a merchant. In 1871 he was married to
Mary E., daughter of William N. Godwin, who during his life-
time was a prominent business man of Norfolk. They have two
children living: Edward L. and Mary E.

Charles E. Wingo, of Richmond, did gallant service in the
artillery of the army of Northern Virginia until he fell with seri-
ous wounds upon the bloody field of Sharpsburg. He was born
in Amelia county, Va., July 12, 1843, came to Richmond in 1859,


and in July, 1861, at the age of eighteen years, enlisted as a pri-
vate in the First Richmond Howitzers. Stationed on the line of
the Potomac, after the battle of Manassas, he served with his
command in the effective repulse of the Federal sortie into Vir-
ginia at Ball's Bluff, and subsequently when the battery moved
southward to meet the advance of McClellan upon Richmond,
and was placed in position at Dam No. i, he shared in the dan-
gerous service of the command under the enemy's guns for five
or six days. When Johnston fell back to Williamsburg the bat-
tery was again warmly engaged at that place, and subsequently
fell back to the lines around Richmond. In the advance which
followed, and the effective attacks upon the Federal positions at
Frayser's farm and Malvern Hill, Private Wingo did faithful serv-
ice, and then, the "on to Richmond" movement having been en-
tirely abandoned, he enjoyed with his command a season of rest
and recuperation, until the Maryland campaign. Accompanying
a section of his battery he moved to the Potomac, crossed at
Leesburg into Maryland, and moved over the Catoctin mountains
into Pleasant valley, opposite Harper's Ferry, where they lay for
twenty-four hours hemmed in by the enemy, but finally crossed
without inconvenience into Virginia, and participated in the at-
tack on Harper's Ferry and the capture of the Federal army at
that post. Thence he moved to Sharpsburg, Md., and participated
in the desperate fighting of September 17, 1862, receiving severe
wounds in the leg and arm, which disabled him for further
active service. Returning home when he was sufficiently recov-
ered, he was detailed as enrolling officer for Amelia county, and
served in that capacity until the army of General Lee passed
through that county on its retreat from Richmond, when he joined
in the movement to Appomattox and there participated in the
capitulation. At the return of peace Mr. Wingo removed to Rich-
mond and has ever since been occupied in mercantile affairs at
that city. He is a member of R. E. Lee camp, Confederate Vet-
erans, and of the Howitzer association. In 1894 he received from
Governor O'Ferrall the high compliment of appointment to the
staff, with rank of colonel, in the Virginia militia.

George Wise, of Alexandria, Va., was born at that city in 1840,
and there became a member, in the fall of i860, of the Old Do-
minion Rifles, subsequently part of a battalion commanded by
Maj. M. D. Corse. In the spring of 1861 the Rifles became Com-
pany H of the Seventeenth Virginia infantry, and he entered the
active service as a corporal and was soon promoted sergeant.
Upon the organization of Corse's brigade in November, 1862,
Sergeant Wise became ordnance-sergeant of the Seventeenth regi-
ment. In December, 1863, he was transferred to the First regi-
ment, engineer troops. Col. T. M. R. Talcott commandmg, as
sergeant of Company G. In this capacity he was in charge of the
engineering work and location of guns on that part of the Peters-
burg lines including Colquitt's, Grade's and Elliott's salients, dur-
ing a large part of the fall of 1864, and superintended the counter-
mining against the Federals. Under orders from General Lee he
mapped a large section including Fort Clifton and the Howlett
line, also, one month before the evacuation of Petersburg and
Richmond, copied the various orders prepared by General Lee in
contemplation of such an emergency. On Friday preceding the


evacuation he bore dispatches to the companies in charge of pon-
toon trains on the Staunton river, and was with the trains when
news arrived of the capitulation at Appomattox. The pontoon
escort then separated with orders to individually join the army in
North Carolina, but en route Sergeant Wise was advised by Con-
federate officers to apply for parole at the nearest Federal post,
which he did. Mr. Wise is a member of R. E. Lee camp, No. 3,
of Alexandria. He is the author of the history of the Seventeenth
Virginia regiment, also of a work entitled, "The Johnny Rebs of
the Army of Northern Virginia."

George Douglas Wise, an eminent lawyer of Richmond, Va.,
who was distinguished alike in the military service of the Confeder-
ate States and as a representative, since the war, in the Congress of
the United States, was born in Accomack county, Va., in 1833.
His father, Tully Wise, also a native of Accomack county, was a
prosperous planter, who, though educated for the law, never prac-
ticed that profession, but was prominent in politics, sat in the
legislature and served as auditor of the treasury department of the
United States. At the age of twelve years he accompanied his
parents to Washington, D. C, where he held for a time the posi-
tion of page in the House. He subsequently entered the university
of Indiana, where he was graduated in 1853. Then taking up the
study of law, he was graduated professionally by William and
Mary college in 1857. Returning to Washington he continued his
studies and was admitted to the bar, but upon the secession of
Virginia he abandoned his professional career and returned to
Richmond. Thence he proceeded to Montgomery, Ala., then the
capital of the Confederate States, and received from President
Davis a commission as lieutenant in the regular army. Reporting
to Gen. R. E. Lee at Richmond he was sent to Gen. J. E. John-
ston, at Harper's Ferry, and by him assigned to the First Ken-
tucky infantry, with which he served in the Virginia campaigns
of the following year. He was then temporarily attached to the
command of Gen. H. A. Wise, on the James river, near Drewry's
Bluff, where he served until after the Seven Days' battles. The
remainder of his military career was in the Western army, upon
the staff of Maj.-Gen. Carter L. Stevenson, being promoted from
lieutenant to captain and finally to inspector-general of the di-
vision. He participated in the Virginia battles of Dranesville and
Malvern Hill; in the Vicksburg campaign took part in the fight at
■ Baker's Creek and all the engagements at and around the besieged
city, and bore to General Johnston the last dispatches sent out by
General Pemberton, leaving Vicksburg June 20, 1863. After this
he joined the army besieging Chattanooga, and served in the sub-
sequent engagements of Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge,
Dalton, Crow Valley, and Resaca. At the latter severe action he
fell with a gunshot wound that disabled him for about three
months. Upon his recovery he found the army under Hood, en-
tering upon the Tennessee campaign, and in this he participated,
fighting at Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, and all the actions on
the retreat to Columbia, Tenn. At the last he rendered efficient
service with the forces gathered under General Johnston, and
fought at Bentonville, N. C, March ^9-21, 1865, afterward joining
in the capitulation at Greensboro. Then returning to Richmond
he began the practice of law, and at once rose to prominence at the



bar. By successive re-elections he filled the office of common-
wealth attorney from 1870 to 1880. Elected to Congress from the
Third district of Virginia in 1880, he was returned by his constitu-
ents without interruption until 1894. During this service he held
membership in the most important committees, such as those on
naval affairs, foreign affairs, rivers and harbors, military affairs,
merchant marine and fisheries, and in the Forty-ninth Congress was
chairman of the committee on manufactures. During the Fifty-
second and Fifty-third Congresses he was chairman of the commit-
tee on interstate and foreign commerce. Captain Wise cherishes
his comradeship with the survivors of the Confederate armies, and
maintains memberships in the R. E. Lee and George E. Pickett
camps, of Richmond.

Lieutenant Henry A. Wise, superintendent of the public schools
of Baltimore, is a Virginian by birth and rearing, and during the
war served with the forces in the field, as well as in other capaci-
ties, though not yet in years having attained his majority at the
close of the struggle. He was born in Accomack county, Va.,
May 18, 1844, and passed the years of childhood in Princess Anne
county and at Norfolk, where he attended the Norfolk academy.
Thence he entered the Virginia military institute, at Lexington,
and was there as a student when the war, became imminent. In
April, 1861, he went with the other students to Richmond to re-
port for duty in the service of the State, and was assigned to the
work of drilling volunteers, an occupation which he continued
subsequently at Ashland, and in western Virginia. He was com-
missioned in May, 1861, as first lieutenant and adjutant of the
Forty-sixth Virginia regiment of infantry, and served with the
command in the early operations in West Virginia, where he par-
ticipated in several skirmishes. In February, 1862, he participated
in the defense of Roanoke island, and was captured with a large
number of the troops, and held there two or three weeks, after
which he was paroled. He then proceeded to the Virginia mili-
tary institute, and received the appointment of assistant professor
of mathematics, Latin and tactics, as which he served during the
major part of the war period. At one time he was appointed ad-
jutant of a battalion of scouts and guides under command of Col.
John H. Richardson, and attached to the headquarters of General
Lee, but in this capacity never served, remaining at the insti-
tute' In the spring of 1864, when General Breckinridge collected
a body of men to reinforce General Imboden in the valley of
Virginia he called out the full corps of cadets at Lexmgton, to
the number of over two hundred, who marched under the com-
mand of Col. Scott Shipp, commandant, to the battlefield of New
Market Here Professor Wise commanded Company A with the rank
of captain V M I. cadets, and when Colonel Shipp was wounded
took command. For several hours they successfully engaged,
with their supports, the troops of General Sigel, and finally made
a gallant charge against a battery of six guns. The boys made
their way through a deep gulch, grown with underbrush, m ad-
vance of their support, the Sixty-second regment, and formed their
lines under Captain Wise's commands, standing steady in the face
of a' destructive fire. Then they charged and drove the Federals
from the position, capturing the guns but with severe loss. Cap-
in?" Wise escaped unhurt, though eight or ten bullets pierced his


clothing. About a month before the fall of Richmond he reported
for duty with the battery of Capt. John Donnell Smith, in which
he had received a commission as lieutenant, and in that capacity
he took part in the subsequent engagements of the battery, serv-
ing on the lines near the Howlett House and at Sailor's Creek,
and being present at Appomattox Court House, where he was sur-
rendered with General Lee's army. After this event he repaired to
Princess Anne county, Va., and found employment on a farm for
two or three months, afterward teaching school for a year. De-
ciding to make his career in this profession he went to Norfolk
and was for three years an instructor in the academy there. In
1870 he removed to Baltimore, and became principal of the male
grammar school, No. 4, and after six years' service was appointed
assistant superintendent of the public schools of the city. In 1883
he was promoted to the position of superintendent, and during
the long period which has elapsed he has continued to efficiently
discharge the duties of that office. He is an active member of the
society of the Army and Navy, of Maryland. It should be noted
in closing that Professor Wise is the descendant of men distin-
guished in military service, his maternal grandfather. Col. John
Finney, having served in the war of 1812, and his great-grandfather.
Gen. John Cropper, having held that rank in the Continental army.
Colonel Peyton Wise, a distinguished officer of the army of
Northern Virginia, and since the war prominent in the business
and public affairs of Richmond, was born in Accomack county,
February 9, 1838. His father was Tully R. Wise, his mother Mar-
garet D. P. Wise, a sister of Gov. Henry A. Wise. At an early
age he was taken by his family to Washington, D. C, where his
father had been appointed to high public service, and he was
reared and given his academic education at the national capital.
In later youth he went to Philadelphia and entered as a law stu-
dent the office of one of the most distinguished members of the
bar of that city. As he was thus engaged in preparation for a
life career the crisis of 1861 arrived, and true and loyal to his
State, he promptly returned to the land of his nativity and the
home of his kindred, ready to undergo any sacrifice for its de-
fense. Going into Goochland county, which he had never pre-
viously visited, his ability as an organizer and strength as a leader
were soon manifested by the speedy raising of a company which
was mustered into the service July 3, 1861, as Company H of the
Forty-sixth Virginia regiment of infantry, in the command of
Brig.-Gen. Henry A. Wise. He was introduced to the activities
of war in the West Virginia campaign under the general command
of Robert E. Lee, his regiment operating in the Kanawha region.
Thence he returned to Richmond to participate in the battle of
Seven Pines and the Seven Days' battles on the peninsula. Sub-
sequently he took part in the Roanoke Island campaign, in the
defense of Charleston under Beauregard, and in the defense of
the Petersburg lines during the siege of 1864-65. At the reorgani-
zation of the army in 1862 he was promoted major of the Forty-
sixth regiment, and in 1863 was again promoted to the rank of
lieutenant-colonel. During a great part of the remainder of the
war he was in command of his regiment. During the fighting
before Petersburg he was severely wounded, and on the first day
after his return to duty in October, 1864, he was captured by the



enemy. Subsequently he was held as a prisoner of war six weeks
at Washington, and three and a half months at Fort Delaware. He

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 151 of 153)