Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 152 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 152 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was then paroled, but never being exchanged, was not able to ren-
der any further active service to the Confederate cause. At the time
of the surrender of Johnston's army he was at Greensboro, and
he thence returned to Richmond, where he made his home ever
afterward. Being compelled by stress of circumstances to aban-
don his cherished career in the legal profession, he at once em-
barked in mercantile business, and presently became one of the
most prominent merchants of the city, at the same time being
active in public aflfairs for the best interest of the municipality and
the commonwealth. In 1888 he retired from business life, and
since then his activities have been all in public aflfairs. He was
known as General Peyton through his connection with the State
military organization, being appointed in 1870 by Gov. G. C.
Walker as ranking major-general of the State militia. He also
held the rank of general in the United Confederate Veterans' asso-
ciation, as a member of the staflf of General Gordon. His mem-
bership was in R. E. Lee camp. No. i, of Richmond. As chair-
man of the local committee of arrangements for the Confederate
Veterans' reunion at Richmond in 1896, he contributed largely to
the success of that important assembly. He was also one of the
organizers of the Jefferson Davis monument association. On
several memorable occasions he demonstrated remarkable ability
as an eloquent and forceful public speaker. General Wise was
married several years after the war to Laura, daughter of Gen.
R. L. Chilton. On March 29, 1897, though General Wise had
not yet reached the age of sixty years, his life of generous activity
and chivalrous honor was cut short by death.

William N. Wise, of Leesburg, who came out of the war in his
twenty-first year as a veteran of the celebrated Black Horse cav-
alry, was born in Alexandria, Va., August 6, 1844. In his youth,
during the years of peace immediately preceding the great strug-
gle, he was sent to the Hallowell school at Stanmore, Md., and
was a student there at the outbreak of the war. In 1863 he left
school, unable longer to resist his longing to share in the dan-
gers and exciting experiences of his brethren of the Old Dominion,
and waded across the Potomac to the soil of his native State to
avoid the difficulty of passing the Federal lines. On May 20, 1863,
he enlisted in the Confederate service as a private in Company H
of the Fourth Virginia cavalry, popularly known as the Black
Horse troop, and in this command served throughout the remain-
der of the war. Among the many engagements in which he took
an honorable part were two affairs at Brandy Station, Aldie, Shep-
herdstown, Stevensburg, the Wilderness, Yellow Tavern, Trevil-
ian's. White House, Hawe's Shop, the engagements on Wilson's
raid 'Winchester, Front Royal, Waynesboro, Bridgewater, Tom's
Brook. Cedar Creek, the Moorefield raid, Five Forks, Farmville,
High Bridge, and Appomattox Court House. Before the surren-
der the brigade cut its way through the Federal lines and moved
to Lynchburg, where the command was disbanded. After his re-
turn to Loudoun county he was appointed clerk of the circuit
court, and after four and a half years of this service he was ap-
pointed commissioner in chancery, a position he still occupies.
Mr Wise is an active member of Clinton-Hatcher camp, occupy-



1282 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

ing the position of adjutant. He is prominent in the Masonic
order, of the rank of past master, and is a communicant of the
Presbyterian church.

Colonel Elijah Benton Withers, late of Danville, was born in
Caswell county, N. C, December 31, 1836, the son of Hon. Elijah
K. Withers, a planter of Caswell county, who served in both
branches of the legislature of North Carolina and died in 1871.
His mother was Nancy B., daughter of Rev. David Lawson, a
clergyman of the Baptist church. Colonel Withers was graduated
in the university of .North Carolina in i8';o, and studied law under
Judge William H. Battle and Samuel F. Phillips, afterward solici-
tor-general of the United States. He began the practice of his
profession at Yanceyville, N. C, in the fall of i860. At the first
threat of war between the States he became a member of the
Yanceyville Grays, and with it entered the Confederate service
in May, 1861. The command became Company A of the Third
North Carolina volunteers, later designated as the Thirteenth
North Carolina infantry. Col. W. D. Pender. At the reorganiza-
tion in 1862 he was elected captain, subsequently was promoted
major and finally lieutenant-colonel in the latter part of 1863. He
participated in the battle of Williamsburg, in command of one
of the companies stationed at the old revolutionary breastworks,
and witnessed the sanguinary conflict with bayonets in which three
companies of the Thirteenth lost sixty-nine killed and wounded;
fought at Seven Pines, and then was disabled by illness until the
Maryland campaign, in which he took part in the battles of
Boonsboro and Sharpsburg. At the latter fight a shell struck
in front of him, penetrated the ground beneath him and exploded,
stunning him so that his legs were completely paralyzed for a day
or more. His next battle was Fredericksburg. At Chancellors-
ville Captain Withers was detailed by General Pender to take
command of the Twenty-second North Carolina regiment during
the absence of its colonel, a high testimonial of confidence in his
soldierly ability. With promotion to major he served in the
Pennsylvania campaign and was severely wounded in the first
day's battle at Gettysburg, after which he was disabled for four
months. He took part in all the battles of 1864 from the Wilder-
ness to Petersburg. On the Petersburg lines, one day, having
posted two companies to fortify a position to protect the with-
drawal of Cooke's brigade, he and his adjutant, T. L. Rawley, on
their return were summoned to surrender, and refusing were ex-
posed to the fire of about seventy-five Federal soldiers, but fortu-
nately escaped unhurt. He was in the war to the end and with
Lee at Appomattox. Then resuming the practice of law in North
Carolina, he was elected to the legislature in 1870, and to the con-
stitutional convention in 1875. Since the fall of 1876 he was en-
gaged in the f)ractice of law at Danville, Va. For three terms he
held the position of commander of Cabell-Graves camp, Confed-
erate Veterans, until his death, which occurred on April 23. 1898,
at his home in Danville. He was married in 1863 to Mary Price,
who died in 1868, and in 1875 he married Lemma Price. The eld-
est of his five children, Eugene Withers, a, member of the Virginia
State senate, was his partner in law practice, and since his father's
death continues the affairs of the firm.
Colonel Robert Enoch Withers, of Wytheville, distinguished in



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1283

the military history of Virginia as commander of the Eighteenth
Virginia infantry, was born in Campbell county, September i8,
1821. In 1861 his home was at Danville, where he entered the
Confederate service as major of a battalion composed of the Dan-
ville Blues and Danville Grays, two gallant volunteer companies.
When he joined Beauregard's army he was appointed colonel of
the Eighteenth Virginia infantry regiment and assigned to Cocke's
brigade. He was first stationed with his regiment at Fairfax Court
House, then fell back to Bull Run, and on the morning of July
2ist was stationed on the "Federal side of the run, at Ball's Ford.
Thence he moved his command to the left to meet the Federal
flank attack, and joining in a gallant charge, his men captured
a battery of the enemy and turned it against the foe, contributi.ig
in no slight degree to the great victory. He went into the battle
of Gainesville, July, 1862, in the brigade of General i'ickelt, which
made a direct assault upon the enemy's works, and while leading
his regiment in the attack he fell severely wounded by a shot
through the lungs. General Longstreet, who wrote in his official
report that "there was more individual gallantry displayed upon
this field than any I have ever seen," mentioned Colonel Withers
as "conspicuous among the gallant officers." The wound he re-
ceived prevented further service in the field. He was assigned to
the invalid corps, and put in charge of^ihe post at Danville, where
he remained until the close of the war. He then edited the Lynch-
burg Daily News until he was nominated for governor of Virginia
by the conservative party. He made a canvass of the State, advo-
cating the defeat of the Underwood constitution. Later it was
decided to withdraw the ticket which he headed in favor of the
one led by Gilbert C. Walker, which was elected. Through the
efforts of the party which he led in this fight, the objectionable
features of the proposed constitution were eliminated before adop-
tion. At the next State election he was chosen lieutenant-gover-
nor, and by the succeeding legislature was elected United States
senator. In that position he served from 1875 to 1881. During
the first administration of President Cleveland he was consul for
the United States at Hong Kong. Senator Withers was married
February 3, 1876, to Miss Mary Virginia Byrd.

Captain Henry Wood, a prominent attorney of Mecklenburg
county, is a native of that county, born in 1844, the son of Henry
Wood, a well-known attorney and representative of Amelia county
in the State legislature. He was educated at the Virginia military
institute, which he left at the age of seventeen years to enter the
Confederate service. He assisted in the organization and was
elected second lieutenant of a company which was mustered in in
August, 1861, and attached to the Second North Carolina bat-
talion, and at the reorganization in 1862 was transferred and des-
ignated as Company G of the Fifty-ninth Virginia regiment, bri-
gade of General Wise, Wood then being elected captain. His first
year's service was rendered on the peninsula. Under General
Wise he took part in the battle of Roanoke Island, February 8,
1862 was captured, and was not exchanged until August, 1862,
after which he was on duty at Charleston, S. C, and in Florida,
under General Beauregard, until March, 1864, when his regiment
was called northward for the defense of Petersburg. He fought
against Bugler at Drewry's Bluff, and during the subsequent siege



1284 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

of Petersburg was on the lines between that city and Richmond,
also taking part in the battle of the Crater with Johnson's division,
in which he was slightly wounded in the head, and the fight at
Burgess' Mill, in both of which he commanded his regiment. He
was in the battle of Five Forks, and at Sailor's Creek was wounded,
being then taken to his home. His service was gallant and de-
voted, and he was recommended for promotion to lieutenant-col-
onel by Col. William B. Tabb, but the close of the war prevented
his receipt of the commission. After the close of hostilities he
studied law and engaged in practice with his father until the lat-
ter's death in 1885, since when he has continued in his profes-
sional work alone. He has served one term as commonwealth's
attorney for Charlotte county, and held the office of judge of Meck-
lenburg county from 1874 to 1880. In 1869 he was married to
Mary J., daughter of Dr. Richard Wood, and granddaughter of
Richard Sampson, of Goochland, Va. She died in 1873, leaving
one son, Cabell Sampson Wood, and in 1878 he married Sallie L.
Morton, by whom he has six children. Two brothers of Judge
Wood served in the army of Northern Virginia: John S., captain
of Company G, Thirty-eighth Virginia regiment, and Lieut.-Col.
W. W. Wood, of the Fourteenth Virginia regiment.

Lieutenant Henry C. Woodhouse, a gallant officer of the Twelfth
Virginia infantry regiment, of the Confederate States army, was
born at Norfolk, Va., September 13, 1835, the descendant of a line
of Virginians of distinguished origin. His father, William Wood-
house, was born March 12, 1799, married Ann Maria Spangler
September 17, 1829, and died April 18, 1878. Jonathan Wood-
house, father of the latter, was born in 1749, married Ann Barnes
and died in 1824. His father, William Woodhouse, was married
to a Miss Pembroke and died in 1774. His father, Henry Wood-
house, married Elizabeth Dawley and died in 1719. His father,
William Woodhouse, married Jean Dawley and died in 1700. His
father, Henry Woodhouse, settled in lower Norfolk county, now
Princess Anne county, some time prior to the year 1647, served
in the Virginia house of burgesses, and died in 1655. The latter
was the son of Sir Henry Woodhouse, governor of Bermuda,
who married Anne Bacon, daughter of Sir Nicholas Bacon, and
half-sister of Francis Bacon, Baron Verulam, Viscount St. Albans,
and lord chancellor of England. Ann Maria Spangler, mother of
Lieutenant Woodhouse, was the daughter of Isaac Spangler, a
resident of Baltimore who was stationed at Fortress Monroe in
the government employ. Lieutenant Woodhouse, after receiving
his education at Norfolk, found employment in the trade of a
plasterer until the outbreak of the war. Then, on May 8, 1861,
he enlisted as a second sergeant in Company H of the Twelfth
Virginia regiment of infantry, commanded by Capt. Finley Fer-
guson. His first service was at Boush's Blufif, where he remained
about eight months, and had some experience in fighting while
locating batteries at Sewell's Point. Rejoining his regiment in the
entrenched camp, he remained there until the evacuation of the
city in May, 1862, when he accompanied his regiment to Peters-
burg, and thence to battlefields before Richmond, where he par-
ticipated in the hard fighting at French's Farm, Frayser's Farm
and Malvern Hill. Subsequently he took part in the battles of
Second Manassas, Crampton's Gap, Md., and all the minor ac-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1285

tions of his command, and helped to hold the line at Fredericks-
burg in December. In 1863 he was in the battles of Chancellors-
ville, Salem Church, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Mine Run, and
he participated in the desperate fighting of 1864 through the Wil-
derness, and in the action at Shady Grove received a wound in
the foot that seriously disabled him. He spent some time on this
account in the Seabrook and Chimborazo hospitals at Richmond,
and was then brought before the examining board of surgeons and
declared disabled for further duty. During this arduous service
Mr. Woodhouse rose by promotion to first sergeant, and later
to first lieutenant, all of which he richly deserved. After the sur-
render he returned to Norfolk, where he began his trade again,
and has become one of the leading contractors in the city. He
contracted for the plastering of the Epworth Methodist church
of Norfolk, a notable building, and several of the handsomest
houses in Ghent. Lieutenant Woodhouse was married in 1864 to
Columbia, a daughter of Page Eley, of Nansemond county, and
they have four children: Annie Lee, Harry E., Charles H., Frank
E. The latter served in the volunteer army of 1898 in Company
E, Fourth Virginia regiment infantry, under Fitzhugh Lee. In
social life he is a member of the Methodist church; of the Odd
Fellows and Knights of Pythias, and past commander of Pickett-
Buchanan camp, U. C. V.

John J. Woodhouse, a prominent member of the legal profes-
sion and judge of Princess Anne county, is a native of that county.
He rendered faithful service in the cause of the South until disa-
bility on account of illness compelled his honorable discharge. He
has held the office of clerk of the courts, and is now judge of the
Princess Anne county court. His wife, a daughter of William Mc-
Kenney, was born at Washington, D. C. Her father was a dentist
by profession, and during the war commanded Company C of the
Sixth Virginia regiment, familiarly known as "McKenney's Eye
Teeth." Judge Woodhouse and family lived in Norfolk for several
years, but removed from Norfolk to Princess Anne county in 1869,
and their son, William McK. Woodhouse, now a well-known lawyer
of Norfolk (born at the latter city, August 19, i860), was there
reared upon a farm. In 1884 he began a service of four years as
deputy clerk under his father, during which period he also pursued
the study of law. In 1888 he was admitted to practice in Princess
Anne county, and he remained there engaged in the work of his
profession until 1894, when he opened an office at Norfolk. He is
now a member of the legal firm of Judson & Woodhouse, and m
the enjoyment of a lucrative practice, and a worthy position profes-
sionally and socially. His residence is at Berkley, near the city of
Norfolk. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and Red Men,
is clerk and member of the official body of the Baptist church, and
takes an active interest in the organization of the Sons of Con-
federate Veterans, as a member of the Junior camp of Berkley. On
March 28. 1889, he was married to Bettie F. Duke, a native of North
Carolina, ' and they have four children. .

Major John Thomas Woodhouse, a representative of an ancient
Virginian family, who served with honor on many bloody fields
with the army of Northern Virginia, was born at White Hall, the
family estate in Princess Anne county, April 15, 1838. His family
originated in England, where in the sixteenth century an ancestor,
Va 81



1286 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Sir Henry Woodhouse, married Ann, the daughter of Sir Nicholas
Bacon, keeper of records and seals, and the sister of Francis
Bacon, Lord Verulam. In Virginia the line was founded by
Henry Woodhouse, son of Henry Woodhouse, governor of the
Bermudas. The son of William Woodhouse was Capt. Thomas
Woodhouse, who owned and navigated a ship between New York
and Liverpool. Capt. John Woodhouse, a son of the latter, and
father of Major Woodhouse, was born in Princess Anne October
I, 1811, and died there January 15, 1869, having been occupied
throughout life as a planter, also serving in the State troops as
captain, in the legislature two terms and as magistrate twenty
years. It may be said of the family that it has been distinguished
in both the military and civil history of the State. The great-
grandfather of Major Woodhouse, with his brothers, served in the
Continental army, and he suffered the hardships of a prisoner of
war upon a British ship. Several members of the family partici-
pated in the war of 1812, among them H. B. Woodhouse, who
was afterward a brigadier-general of the State forces. Capt. John
Woodhouse married Eliza Ann Woodhouse, born August 11,
1811, died October 22, 1895. Major Woodhouse, the only child
which they reared, was educated in the military academy at Nor-
folk, and was preparing for a legal career as a student at William
and Mary college when the crisis of 1861 led him to enter the
military service of the State. In May, 1861, he was appointed by
Governor Letcher a captain of infantry in the Twentieth regiment.
Ninth brigade. Fourth division, Virginia militia. As soon as Vir-
ginia was united with the Confederate States he organized Com-
pany G of the Sixteenth Virginia infantry, which was assigned to
Mahone's brigade of Anderson's division. He served in com-
mand of this company until March 16, 1863, when he was com-
missioned major of the regiment, a promotion richly deserved by
gallant service. His record embraces nearly all the great cam-
paigns and battles of the army of Northern Virginia, including the
engagements at White Oak Swaraj and Malvern Hill before Rich-
mond, Second Manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Get-
tysburg, Salem Church, Bristoe Station, the Wilderness, Spott-
sylvania Court House, Po River, North Anna River, Cold Harbor,
and the encounters on the Weldon railroad and at the Crater before
Petersburg. He was wounded at Malvern Hill and at Gettysburg,
and at the Crater received such serious injuries that he was en-
tirely disabled, and was honorably retired from active service
March 8, 1865. He did not leave the hospital at Richmond until
June, 1865, when he returned to his home, where for several years
he was restricted to such occupations as the constant use of
crutches permitted. During this period he served as commissioner
in chancery and member of the board of supervisors. In 1869 he
was able to direct his farming operations, and finally recovering
his strength he has for a quarter of a century been actively en-
gaged in the management of the White Hall plantation. He has
also since 1874 conducted the office of county treasurer, to which
he was elected in that year, and has been consecutively re-elected.
He is a member of Pickett-Buchanan camp, of Norfolk, and prom-
inent in the Masonic order and Knights of Honor. Of the ancient
Eastern Shore chapel, Lynnhaven Parish, of which Henry Wood-
house was a vestryman 257 years ago, he and two kinsmen. Judge



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 1287

John J. Woodhouse and Jonathan Woodhouse, are now vestry-
men He was married August i6, 1871, to Virginia Elizabeth,
daughter of James M. and Delia K. (Drayton) Whitehurst, and
they have two children: John Paul, born June 20, 1875, educated
at William and Mary college and the university of Virginia, and
now a student of law, and Grace Arlington, born April 30, 1878,
a graduate of Norfolk college for young ladies, and an artist of
talent.

Harry Wooding, an eminent citizen of Danville, Va., is a native
of that city, and the son of Col. William H. Wooding, who rep-
resented Pittsylvania county in the general assembly both as sen-
ator and member of the lower house. He left school in the spring
of 1861 to enlist as a private in the Danville Grays, which became
Company B, Eighteenth Virginia infantry. As sergeant of this
cornpany he served at the first battle of Manassas. At the reor-
ganization he was transferred to Company C, Fifth Virginia cav-
alry, Col. T. L. Rosser, with which he served during the remain-
der of the war, taking part in many battles, including the cavalry
fighting during the Maryland campaign, the Fredericksburg and
Chancellorsville campaigns, the Gettysburg campaign, the Bris-
toe and Mine Run and Wilderness campaigns. Yellow Tavern, the
battles about Richmond and the Shenandoah valley campaign.
Throughout his career he was distinguished by intrepidity and
devotion. In his report of the fight at Kelly's Ford in March,
1863, Gen. Fitzhugh Lee reported among those deserving men-
tion: "Private Henry Wooding, Company C (especially com-
mended), seized the colors when the horse of the color-bearer
was shot and carried them bravely through the fight." For sev-
eral years after the war he served as captain of the Danville Grays,
and he is now first lieutenant-commander of Cabell-Graves camp.
His public services as member of the city council, president of
the chamber of commerce, chairman of the Democratic executive
committee, and mayor of the city for three terms, have been of
great value. He is also widely known in the State as past grand
chancellor of the Knights of Pythias. By his marriage in 1873 to
Ella Coleman he has three children living.

Lieutenant Micajah Woods, of Charlottesville, since 1893 brig-
adier-general commanding the Second brigade, Virginia division.
United Confederate veterans of the United States, was born at
Holkham, his father's home, in Albemarle county. May 17, 1844.
He entered the military service of Virginia at the age of seventeen
years as volunteer aide on the staflf of Gen. John B. Floyd, serv-
ing in that capacity in the West Virginia campaign of 1861, and
participating in the battles of Cross Lanes and Carnifix Ferry.
He was at the side of General Floyd when he was wounded in
the latter battle. As soon as he had attained military age, in May,
1862 he joined the Albemarle light horse, Company K of Mun-
ford's old regiment, the Second Virginia cavalry, and as a private
trooper, took part in the battles of Port Republic, the cavalry op-
erations at Malvern Hill, the battles of the Second Manassas cam-
paign and Stuart's raid to the rear of Pope's army, Crampton's
Gap and Sharpsburg— campaigns and battles in which his company
suffered severe losses. In October, 1862, General Floyd, having
been put in command of the Virginia State line, operating in
southwestern Virginia, asked the secretary of war for the assign-



1288 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

ment of Private Woods to his staff, which was accordingly made,
and Woods was commissioned first lieutenant of cavalry by Gov-
ernor Letcher. He served as adjutant-general of the First brigade
of Floyd's command, participating in the engagements near Preston-



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 152 of 153)