Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 68 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 68 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

cavalry, and in 1859 was elected to the State senate
from the district composed of Hanover and Henrico, as
a Whig. In 1861, elected by the people of Henrico to
the State convention as a Union man, he was bitterly
opposed to the war and voted against the ordinance of
secession, but immediately upon the secession of Virginia,


he determined to share the fortunes of his people, and
took his company, "the Hanover dragoons," into active
service. He participated in the first battle of Manassas
and the preceding outpost skirmishes, and in Septem-
ber, 1 86 1, was commissioned by Governor Letcher, lieu-
tenant-colonel of the Fourth Virginia cavalry. On May
4, 1862, he received a severe saber wound in a cavalry
charge at Williamsburg, which prevented him from par-
ticipating in the battles around Richmond. While
wounded he was taken prisoner at his home on McClel-
lan's advance, paroled, and speedily exchanged by special
cartel for his wife's kinsman, Lieut. -Col. Thomas L. Kane,
of the Pennsylvania "Bucktails. " In August, 1862, he
was commissioned colonel of the Fourth Virginia cavalry,
and in that rank he participated in the battles of Second
Manassas, Boonsboro, Sharpsburg and the frequent
engagements of the cavalry under General Stuart. Dur-
ing the advance of the army of the Potomac into Virginia,
after the battle of Sharpsburg, he was again wounded, by
a piece of shell, in the neck, while temporarily in com-
mand of Fitz Lee's brigade at Upperville. Recovering
from this wound, he regained his command in time to
take part in the battle of Fredericksburg, December 12,
1862. When the army went into winter quarters, he was
on the picket lines on the Rappahannock river from
Fredericksburg to a point above the junction of the Rap-
idan, and was on those lines when Burnside made his
unsuccessful attempt to cross the river again. In the
spring of 1863, he and his command participated actively
in the outpost conflicts preceding the battle of Chancel-
lorsville, and was posted on the right flank during that
battle. Prior to the opening of the campaign in 1863,
while in command of his regiment at the front, he
announced himself a candidate for the Confederate Con-
gress from the Richmond district, and without going into
the district was elected shortly after the battle of Chan-
cellorsville, by an unparalleled majority. He, however,
remained at his post in the army, leaving his seat in
Congress vacant until the fall of 1864. On the advance
into Pennsylvania Colonel Wickham's command formed
a part of the force which Stuart took on his raid around
Meade's army, rejoining the army of Northern Virginia
on the eve of the battle of Gettysburg, was posted on
the extreme left flank during that engagement, and


aided in covering the retreat. On September 9, 1863, he
was commissioned brigadier-general, and put in com-
mand of Wickham's brigade of Fitzhugh Lee's division.
The cavalry of both armies had frequent encounters dur-
ing the following months, the engagements at Bristoe,
Brandy Station and Buckland Mills being the most seri-
ous until February, 1864, when the fighting to repel
Kilpatrick's raid upon Richmond, and Custer's attack on
Charlottesville was very desperate. In March and April,
1864, General Wickham and his brigade were again on
guard on the Rapidan and Rappahannock rivers. He
took part in the battles of the Wilderness and Spott-
sylvania Court House, and when Sheridan moved
on Richmond, he was with Stuart on May i ith at Yellow
Tavern. "Order Wickham to dismount his brigade and
attack, ' ' was the last order given by General Stuart to a
brigade of cavalry. Subsequently he was actively en-
gaged in the battles of Totopotomay, Cold Harbor, Tre-
vilian's, Reams' Station and many of the lesser cavalry
engagements. On August 10, 1864, he and his command
were ordered from the south side of the James river to
join Early's army in the valley of Virginia, Fitzhugh
Lee being in command of the cavalry corps with General
Wickham in command of Lee's division. At the battle
of Winchester on September 19, 1864, General Wickham
covered the retreat. Rallying his men with great abil-
ity. General Early again sustained a terrific reverse at
Fisher's hill, September 2 2d, and his army was saved
from destruction by the successful defense of the Luray
valley by Lee's cavalry division under the command of
General Wickham, against the advance of Torbert's corps
on which Sheridan relied to intercept the retreat of Early
at New Market in the main valley. Rejoining General
Early at Brown's gap, Wickham was ordered to guard
Rockfish gap, and on arriving at the foot of the mountain
attacked the Federal cavalry at Waynesboro, driving
them back. The next day the enemy retreated down
the valley, and the lines of the armies were established at
Bridgewater. General Wickham resigned his commis-
sion in the Confederate army on October 5, 1864, trans-
ferred his command to General Rosser, went to Rich-
mond and took his seat in Congress when the session
opened. It took him but a few days after the assembling
of the Confederate Congress to ascertain that the end of


the Confederacy was drawing near, and for a brief
period he had the hope that reunion could be brought
about upon a basis which, while it would in no way tar-
nish the honor of the armies or people of the South,
would save the lives of thousands of noble men, and pre-
serve some of their property from the wreck of war.
After the failure of the Hampton Roads conference, he
continued at his post in Richmond, awaiting the end.
After the surrender of the armies. General Wickham
addressed himself to the effort to restore friendly rela-
tions between the sections of the Union ; to reorganize
on a mutually satisfactory basis the labor necessary for
the farming operations of the country, and to induce his
fellow-citizens to accept the situation. The condition of
the South was terrible. General Wickham stood side by
side with his old constituents and shared their fate. He
had been educated a Whig and a Union man. When
the war ended, his political faith remained unchanged,
and as the Whig party had disappeared, he adopted the
principles of the party which he regarded as its legiti-
mate successor. On April 23, 1865, in an open letter, he
aligned himself with the Republican party. This step
estranged very many of his old associates from him. In
November, 1865, he was elected president of the Virginia
Central railroad company; in November, 1868, president
of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad company, and in 1869
was made vice-president of the company with C. P.
Huntington as president, and continued as such until
1875, when he was appointed its receiver, which position
be held until July i, 1878, when he became its second
vice-president and so continued until his death. He was
elected chairman of the board of supervisors of Hanover
county in 1871, and was continuously re-elected as long
as he lived. In 1872 he was a member of the electoral
college of Virginia, and cast his vote for General Grant.
In 1880 he was honored by a tender of the secretaryship
of the navy by President Hayes, but declined on account
of business engagements. In 1881 he was tendered the
nomination for governor of the State by the Republican
convention, but declined to accept it. Opposing the
"readjuster party" in 1883, he again became a member of
the State senate, and was the chairman of the finance com-
mittee of that body until his death, although he occupied an
independent position and declined to go into any caucus.


While not an impassioned speaker, he was brave and calm
and cool, and possessed in a remarkable degree the
capacity to arouse manifestations of enthusiasm and per-
sonal attachment. On the 23d of July, 1888, he died in
his office in Richmond of heart failure. The men of his
old command, from many of whom he had become polit-
ically estranged, resolved that "in the camp and on the
field of battle, in the fatigue of the march, in the gloom
of the hospital, under the depression of the waiting and
in the glory of the charge, he was the friend, the com-
rade, the guardian, the leader of his men, the Ijeau-ideal
of a soldier and of a commander," and they organized to
perpetuate his memory in bronze. In 1890 the general
assembly of Virginia provided for a site on the capitol
grounds for the statue of General Wickham. which was
unveiled on October 29, 1891, the oration being deliv-
ered by Gen. Fitzhugh Lee.

Brigadier-General Henry Alexander Wise was bom at
Drummondtown, Accomack county, December 3, 1806, a
descendant of John Wise, who came to Virginia from
England about 1650, and was a man of influence in the
colony. Maj. John Wise, father of General Wise, clerk
of Accomack county and twice speaker of the Virginia
senate, died in 181 2, and his wife, Sarah Corbin, in 18 13.
Young Wise was cared for by his kinsmen, and educated
at Washington college. Pa. After his graduation
in 1825, he studied law three years with Henry St.
George Tucker, and in 1828 removed to Nashville,
Tenn., for the practice of his profession. Returning to
Accomack in 1831, he soon became prominent politically,
and in 1833, as a supporter of Jackson, was elected to
Congress, the contest at the polls being followed by a
duel in which his opponent for Congress was wounded.
He was re-elected in 1835 and again in 1837, and was a
zealous advocate of the admission of Texas. In 1837 he
acted as second in a duel between William J. Graves, of
Kentucky, and Jonathan Cilley, of Maine, both con-
gressmen, in which Cilley was killed, and Wise was made
to suffer much of the opprobrium of the unfortunate
aflEair. He was very influential in causing the nomina-
tion of John Tyler for vice-president and exerted consid-
erable power under his administration. Tyler appointed
him minister to France, but the Senate objecting, he


w3S-a^»iiiEbe.€l teffinadilliiiiiitS^, anxf.nemaiiQed, tHere untill
i;8i)j7;.. ffie; wasi a>, IDteiraiDmaiiiir edJactor ih; 1-84,8. and. 118:50,,
aitdl amrenuifeerf gdS: tOhe- (cajiKdiittiitiiisiiaill Gfimvrenibioin of- 1:850..
^1 ii%S; Se; maiife ai TfaiiHSkiMb. cam^adgpa &jj tiliB, gpweinor-
aliiig) a^hsti tdta;- Know^^lSibiiBiittg- gBnt^raindl wasielfeotedl.
En. 118^ ttei ;giiMeftE)iI ai ttneatisBDOjii tjeiiEitorial! gpweajnmieiit, ,
upiioMmg; tjiei-. dbutmijifi; off osDaigaieseibnal! giotectiibii' of'
ala^itacy ife tihfi: aew; tsatmiteniis;. The: eassLGutibn; of the:
9ei)-wi.lB: ijisuimeciibiri&t,, Jblim Efcowj!',, ©ieiienrbei;- 2>„ nS-jg,,
was:oneof '1iie:lkstie.-Keiitis;(5£hisjadmimstaatibm. loi E861!
he: safe iiai fehe; "Vf iiiginik Gsmiweiitiiiani,, amilasia.niemBer.of the-
i!e.gei!ttSi ugojii the: p.osiibibiii "^iigjiniai shouldl take; ikii the:
Qiiisisi. Hfe: entenedi h.earit!i%- ihto' the; miiitariy defense ofi'
the; State,, andl ©Biaihedl pexmissibni to> raise; am ihdkpiend'-
entigantd^maonmmndi. Ini MjaK'He;was.adwisedIhy.- Pres-
idenite Dto^is.; to> talifii; a; aommissibn! as; Tksigadieir-gp^eiiar ofr'
priowisibnal: fjonGas.w.ibh! aommandlihi the KTanaswhai vallfej:.
Reaching; CharifestDm feomi a. siclsL bed;, iiii Jfune; hfi. com -
plated! tlie.' Qxiganizatabni ofi" Wriae.'&; ]Legibni„ ihi Gommand!
ofi -whiflhi -witii; the- KanawJiai-woiiintieerBihB.endeaMOTjedi
patribtically,- to .-witihstand] tihec sugEmibri- fbrcess sent! against.
hiim . Hfe ' feughb, with; ihtellig-esnce; and; ^ill! ihi the viiiih:- -
it^. ofi' Charlfestonv andi sel'feat&d! the.- Eositibni att Se-w.ell!
mounteaih;, -w.hane.-; took; Gomtnand;. confirontiiig; Esbse-
ar.ansiuntdll tihati offli3e3jr!etraatB.dl. lii. the; fall! off 1186^1: he;
-was; assigned' to; oommandl at: R'oanoXe:- islkndj, K. C. „
wJierie;, in; his;absenia.e;, man^ ofl'hisdfegibn: -ware Gaptured^.
and! hisA son], (Hagti . ©i, Jjennings? "Wise;, off the- RiGhmond!
iLig-hb lSifantr:y.-Blhesi,-wias^moiitally,'-w.oHnded!. His^fiaeble-
health; now/ kept hihn firiom\ the field! fibri- soma time; , But, in :
II863-, hej was.giv.en' Gommandi ofi" the? districU between 1 the -
Mattap«ny>*andltiie:J^niES5.-wdthihis.brigiadtei the Twenty-
fbuEth^, Thirt^.-fbtHtih't andl ff biity.-sikthi infantry-;, aibattal -
ibm off artilleny.- and; ai sqjiadron; off cavalry;. While- at"
GhafHh\s^f&,-rm;. he conducted! soma.' gallknti attacks^upom
the' enemy;, andl racojsered': 'Williamsburg; from; General;
©ix.. H'e.' aubseq^iemtry senv.ed'i under B'aauregardl at;
Charleston; with": his; Gommandl drove; the^ enemy from-.
Johnis. island;. andl took; pant iht two- battles; iii: Elbrida;.
Raturinihg:tDi"V^irginiai iii' M'ay;.^j.on; June' ist' he.'was;
assigned! to commandl tHe Firsts militarydisttict, .including;-
Betersburg;; He- participated' in; the' defeat' of ' BiitleT att
Urewxy'fe. bluff; andlon: June. 1.5th his brigade albne.heldi


at bay tfie array corps^ of A. J. Smith, until Lee could'
cross- the- Jaimies.. Faithful to the last,, he commanded hiS'
brigadfe iin; Anderson's- corps, during, the: saeg,e of Peters-
burg,, gallantly- fought in the firont line of battle March.
2:9. and 31, 11865,, andi during the; retreat, on April' 6th,.
made' a. gallant andi successf iili charge' against the enemy.
In Gen; Fitzhugh Lee's, report of the final operations, he
wrote' most fitly:. "The past services of Gen.. Henry A.
Wise-,, his; anteeedfents in. civil! life,, and! his age; caused
his bearing upon this most, trying retreat tO' shine con-
spicuously forth.. His unconqjierable spirit was filled
with as; much' earnestness an d.zeali in' April; 1.865, as when
he first took; up arras four years ago;, and" the freedom
with which; he exposed! a. long, life; laden, with honors
provedl he; was; willing; to; sacriffce itif'itwould! conduce
toward' attaining, the liberty of his country; ' '' After the
war he engaged! in' the practice of law at Richmond.
His death; occurred' September 14,, i876'. His sons who
3urvi!v;edi him. were; Kichard Al'sop; a di'stihguished! physi-
cian; and John; Sergeant, captain Richmond Light
Infantry Bliues,, andi after the- war a congressman; from;

Julius Adolphus De Lagnel, the hero of Rich Mount-
ain, commissioned; brig^dier-g,eneral; in the provisional
army of. the Confederate States; was borff in' N'ew Jer-
sey, and' was; appointed! from' Virginia to the' United
States; arjny on; March 8;. 1847, as second lieutenant of
the SecondUnfantry: In; January,. 1849, he was promoted
first, lieutenant; Resigning, his. commissibtf upon" the
fbrmiatibn' of the; Confederacy, he tendered his services to
the new g,overnment,. and was. commissioned! captain,
corps of aritill'ery,. C; S; A.. Going: intO' western Virginia
with; General! Garnett,, he; became his- chief of artillery,
and! was; stationed; at Richi mountain;, with, the; command
of General' Ebgram; When' the" latter officer' perceived
that MTcClbllkn' ihfendedl to' fl'ant his posiitibm by talcing,
possessibmof the crest of R-ich"m'ountaih;he'sentDeLagneL
with: seT;;erar companies oft infantry and' one piece of artil-
lery to defend! themountaih^ to' the last extrfemi'ty:- Here
he withstood the' att^acli; of- a; largely superior' force under
Rosecrans, making a desperate fight until his raeri were
fbrced back, by the heavy fire of musketry and! artillery; •


With indomitable courage he fought his gun alone until
the enemy were upon him, and he fell severely wounded.
In the confusion he managed to hide himself in a mount-
ain thicket until the Federal troops were withdrawn,
when he obtained shelter with a sympathetic mountain-
eer. Here he was cared for until his recovery, when he
attempted, disguised as a herder, to make his way
through the Federal lines. He was successful until he
had reached the last picket post, when an inquisitive
soldier noticed that his boots were of a kind unusual
among the natives, and being pulled off, they revealed
his name. The latter was well known, as there had
been much speculation regarding his mysterious disap-
pearance from the battlefield, and he was promptly sent
as a prisoner to Federal headquarters. Upon his return
to the service, he was promoted major. Twentieth battal-
ion Virginia artillery, and was offered the commission of
brigadier-general, which he declined. He subsequently
served in the ordnance bureau at Richmond.


William Harrison Ackiss, of the Fifteenth Virginia cavalry, was
born May 12, 1841, in Princess Anne county, Va. He enlisted
in the Princess Anne cavalry -In July, 1861, and in January, 1862,
was appointed courier for General Mahone. At the evacuation
of Norfolk he assisted in spiking the heavy guns, and subse-
quently as a courier participated in the Seven Days' campaign and
the battles of Second Manassas, Fredericksburg and Chancellors-
ville. He then returned to his cavalry squadron, now known as
Company E, Fifteenth Virginia cavalry regiment, and shared its
services until, in the fighting of the Wilderness battles in May, 1864,
he was severely wounded. Subsequently he was upon detached
duty until the surrender. He was paroled at Norfolk, April 15,
1865. Since then he has resided upon his farm in Princess Anne
county. His son, Harrison Seneca Ackiss, clerk of the United
States court, for the eastern district of Virginia, was born in that
county July 31, 1868, and was graduated at the National business
college, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in 1888. After engaging in business
and later in the study of law at Norfolk, he was in April, 1890, ap-
pointed deputy clerk of the United States court, in which capacity
he served for two years, then receiving from Judge Robert W.
Hughes the appointment of clerk of the court. Though but twenty-
one years of age when given this responsible position he has per-
formed his duties with such fidelity and capability as to win the
commendations of the bar and the public. Meanwhile he has re-
tained a connection with business interests, and as a member of the
Light Artillery Blues, takes much interest in military affairs. On
November 5, 1893, Mr. Ackiss was married to Lizzie Daughtrey
Anderson, daughter of William A. Anderson, of Norfolk, and they
have one child — Ella Daughtrey.

James Adams, of Norfolk, a gallant soldier and at the last com-
mander of Company K of the Sixty-first infantry, was born in
County Down, Ireland, April 9, 1843, the son of James and Esther
(Hawthorne) Adams. His father was a merchant in the native
land and passed his life there. When young Adams was fourteen years
of age he came to America and after remaining at Chester, Pa.,
where he went from the city of New York, his landing place, three
or four years, removed to Norfolk, where an uncle resided, in the
latter part of the year i860. In the spring of 1862 he entered the
military organization known as the Floyd Guards, and was chosen
fourth sergeant. This company, under the command of Capt. Max-
imilian Herbert, was attached to Gaboon's battalion, and served
during its first year of duty mainly on picket in the vicinity of
Petersburg. In July, 1862, the battalion was disbanded, but Captain
Herbert subsequently succeeded in reorganizing his company and



securing its assignment to the Sixty-first Virginia infantry regi-
ment as Company K. With this command Sergeant Adams shared
the fortunes of Mahone's gallant brigade, and by his excellent serv-
ice won promotion to the rank of first sergeant, and richly de-
served a commission. The company joined the Sixty-first regiment
just after the battle of Cedar Mountain, and was a part of the small
force commanded by Col. V. D. Groner, which throughout the en-
tire day held in check the Federal army at Warrenton. He partici-
pated in the two battles at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, Yellow
Tavern, Burgess' Mill, and all the other fighting of Mahone's bri-
gade. The lieutenants of the company falling into the hands of the
enemy at the time of the breaking of the lines at Petersburg, Ser-
geant Adams commanded the company on the retreat. At Appo-
mattox it had but two privates to report for duty. On the day be-
fore the surrender Sergeant Adams had been captured by Federal
cavalry while stopping, as he supposed, out of reach of the enemy,
to prepare some food which was the first he had seen for two or
three days. After his parole he returned to Norfolk and engaged
in the city transfer business, to which he has since given his atten-
tion. Early in the '70's, when Gen. B. F. Butler visited Norfolk,
Sergeant Adams, considering that Federal commander an excep-
tion, refused to carry him in his hack, an incident which gained for
him a wide notoriety at the time. He is a niember of Pickett-
Buchanan camp, St. Paul's Episcopal church, and the order of
Red Men. He was married in August, 1861, to Sarah Roberts, of
Baltimore, who died November 26, 1883.

Captain Richard Henry Toler Adams, of Lynchburg, Va., whose
faithful service in the Confederate cause was identified with the
brigade, division and corps of Gen. A. P. Hill, is a native of the
city where he now resides, born November 6, 1839. At the age of
ten years his home was made in Appomattox county, where he was
educated. In 1857 he removed to Richmond and was there en-
gaged in the wholesale grocery trade until April, 1861, when he re-
turned to Lynchburg to enlist in the Home Guard, or Company G
of the Eleventh regiment, Virginia infantry. With this command
he served as a private until May, 1862, in the meantime taking part
in the battles of Blackburn's Ford, First Manassas and Dranes-
ville, and in the spring of 1862, upon the promotion of his brigade
commander, A. P. Hill, to the command of the Light division of
Jackson's corps, Adams was promoted captain in the signal service
and assigned to General Hill's division. He reported for this duty
just before the battle of Cold Harbor, July, 1862, and subsequently
was with General Hill until he was killed before Petersburg. In
the discharge of his duty he was with his command in the battles
of Gaines' Mill, Frayser's Farm, Cedar Mountain, Second Manas-
sas, Sharpsburg, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, and served in the
trenches before Petersburg from June, 1864, until April, 1865. His
service was of an active and perilous nature. "Three horses were
killed under him during the war, and he was wounded at Peters-
burg. During the siege of Harper's Ferry, in 1862, stationed on
Loudoun heights, he transmitted General Jackson's order of attack
to Maryland heights in five minutes— rapid work which elicited


the warm compliments of the general. At Sharpsburg he went
into the battle and shared in the hard fighting which resulted in
the repulse of Burnside. Since the close of_ hostilities Captain
Adams was for some time engaged in dealing in coal and lumber,
doing an extensive business, and since 1891 has been interested in
coal mining operations in the Pocahontas district of West Virginia.
Since 1873 he has been doing an extensive export tobacco business.
He is an influential citizen of Lynchburg, and has served upon the
city council.

Judge Stephen Adams, a distinguished attorney of Lynchburg,
Va., recently appointed to the bench, was educated at Yale college
and was graduated with the class of 1850. Immediately thereafter
he made his home at Lynchburg and entered upon the study of
law with Robert J. Davis, Esq. In 1854 he was admitted to the
bar and then embarked in the practice in Raleigh county, now
West Virginia, where he was living at the outbreak of the war.
Thoroughly devoted to the cause of the State he organized a com-
pany of which he was elected captain, and was commissioned in
that rank when the company was mustered in as a part of the
Twenty-second Virginia regiment of infantry. Captain Adams was,
however, very soon afterward detached from the regiment and
placed in command of the military post at Sulphur Springs, Va.
He remained there until July or August, 1861, when he rejoined
the army at Big Sewell mountain, with the men of his command,
and was assigned to the Thirtieth Virginia battalion, an organiza-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 68 of 153)