Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 69 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 69 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tion of sharpshooters with the rank of senior captain. During the
remainder of his service he was for a large part of the time in com-
mand of the battalion, which rendered gallant service on many
hard-fought fields. He participated in the battle of Cold Harbor,
June I, 1864; was in command after the wounding of Maj. Peter
J. Otey, of his battalion at the fight at New Market, May 15, 1864;
and took part in all the fights under Early in the Shenandoah val-
ley until wounded and captured at Winchester on September ipth.
He was then sent as a prisoner of war to the Baltimore hospital,
and detained until just before the surrender of the army, when he
was exchanged and paroled. Returning to Virginia he made his
home at Lynchburg, and resuming the practice of law, soon at-
tained prominence in that profession. In 1880 he represented his
county in the legislature of Virginia, and in 1896 he was appointed
to the oflSce of judge of the Campbell county court.

John H. Alexander, of Leesburg, who served the Confederacy in
the gallant band of troopers known as "Mosb/s men," is a native
of Clarke county, born in September, 1846. In April, 1864, having
reached the age of eighteen years, he enlisted in the Confederate
army as a private in Company A of the Forty-third Virginia battal-
ion, under the command of Colonel Mosby, and during the follow-
ing year of the war participated in the many daring and romantic
exploits of that famous body of cavalry. The service was constant
and arduous and was effective in the interests of the cause far out
of proportion to the numerical strength of the command, owing
to the fertile ingenuity of the commander. During the Adamstown
raid, made in co-operation with Early's expedition against Wash-
ington, Mr. Alexander, was wounded in an action with Federal
troops. After the surrender of the command, on April 22, 1865,


he Was arrested on the charge of breaking parole, but was released
after being held at Winchester two weeks. He then went to Lou-
doun county, and resumed his school work, completing his educa-
tion in the university of Virginia. Determining to make his career
in the profession of the law, he equipped himself in this direction
and began the practice at Leesburg in 1871, for eleven years being a
law partner of Gen. W. H. Payne. In 1895 he was elected com-
monwealth's attorney for Loudoun county, but resigned the office
after a brief tenure. He has met with notable success in his pro-
fession, and is a valued citizen and popular gentleman. He main-
taiiis memberships in the Clinton-Hatcher camp, at Leesburg, and
Jdhn S. Mosby camp, of Confederate veterans. In the Knights of
Pythias order he is prominent as past supreme representative of
Virginia, and was a member of the commission for revision of the
constitution and laws of the order, and is now chief tribune of the
Supreme Tribunal of the world. He is happily married to Emma
H. Hughes, of Loudoun county, and they have five children.

Thomas L. Alfriend, of Richmond, was born at that city in 1843.
He is a member of the fourth generation of his family in Virginia,
his great-grandfather being a native of Scotland. His grandfather,
Colin Alfriend, born in the Old Dominion, died at the age of forty
years. His father, Thomas M. Alfriend, a native of Petersburg,
served during the war in the local defense troops at Richmond, and
survived until 1885, when he passed away at the age of seventy-five
years. The subject of this mention rendered faithful service through-
out the war of the Confederacy, enlisting on May 14, 1861, in Com-
pany B of the Fifteenth Virginia infantry regiment. With this
command he served as a private something oyer a year, partici-
pating during that period in the battles of Big Bethel, Yorktown,
Savage Station, and Malvern Hill. After the close of the Seven
Days' battles he was ordered on detached service at Richmond,
and was connected first with the headquarters of Gen. Gustavus
Smith, and subsequently with the headquarters of Gen. Arnold
Elzey. In- the fall of i8(53 he returned to duty in the field, being
transferred to the artillery command of Capt. W. W. Parker, with
the rank of orderly-sergeant. Going to the West with General
Longstreet, he participated in the engagements at Campbell's Sta-
tion, Tenn., Bean's Station and the fighting around Knoxville.
Subsequently returning with the battery to Virginia he fought at
Spottsylvania Court House, Hanover Junction, North Anna river,
Hewlett house, and on the retreat from Richmond at Sailor's creek,
where he was among the captured. Thence he was carried as a
prisoner of war to Point Lookout, and held until June 23, .1865.
Returning to Richmond he became engaged three days after his
arrival in the insurance business, which he has carried on ever since
that time with notable success. He is a valued member of both
the R. E. Lee and George E. Pickett camps. Confederate veterans,
and is highly esteemed as a citizen.

Captain Henry A. Allen, of Portsmouth, Va., distinguished in
the history of the Old Dominion Guard, was bbrn at Portsmouth,
November 11, 1831. His parents were William and Sarah (Tabb)
Allen, the father a native of Princess Anne county, and the mother
of Elizabeth City county. He was reared, and educated at Ports-
mouth and apprenticed to the craft of a brick-mason, in which he


was occupied until the outbreak of the war. He had gained a
knowledge of military tactics as a student for four years in thfi
Portsmouth military academy, and was one of the organizers, of
the Old Dominion Guard, on June 26, 1856, in which he held the
rank of lieutenant before the war. With his comrades he entered
the active service of the State on April 19, 1861, and in June the
company became Company K of the Ninth Virginia regiment of
infantry. Until the evacuation of Norfolk the company was sta-
tioned at Pinner's Point, where in April, 1862, the company was
rc-enlisted for the war and Allen, who had been promoted cor-
poral and sergeant, was elected second lieutenant. He was spon
promoted first lieutenant, and after the death of Captain Vermillion
at Malvern Hill he became captain, and commanded his company
until Gettysburg. He participated in all the battles of his regiment
except Drewry's Bluff, and shared the brave and distinguished
service of Armistead's brigade. At Gettysburg, on the third day of
the battle he led the nineteen men of his company in the charge
of Pickett's division against Cemetery hill, in which all but one
were killed, wounded or captured. Captain Allen, who reached
the stone wall, was among the captured, and during the remainder
of the war, almost two years, he suffered the deprivations and mis-
ery of the Northern prison camps. Finalljr paroled in July, 1865,
he returned to Portsmouth and resumed his previous occupation,
in which he has since been quite prosperous as a contractor and
builder. He has served one term as city collector, and is a valued
member of Stonewall camp. Confederate veterans. On September
I, 1853, he was married to Sarah Burton, who died in June, 1854.
In October, 1857, he was married to Sarah Brown. His home is
blessed with three children.

Obadiah M. Allen, of Martinsville, Henry county, a gallant and
faithful soldier of Pickett's division, army of Northern Virginia,
was born in the county where he now resides, June 6, 1840. He
enlisted for the service of the Confederate States as a member of
Company H, Twenty-fourth Virginia infantry, which at the start
was commanded by Col. Jubal A. Early, later distinguished in high
command. His first battle was at Blackburn's ford, July i8th, where
the Twenty-fourth with Kemper's Seventh and Hays' Louisiana
regiment, were under the brigade command of Colonel Early. In
the battle of First Manassas, which soon followed, the Twenty-
fourth was sent to the assistance of Longstreet by Colonel Early,
and shared the duties of Longstreet's brigade in the attack at
Blackburn's ford and the pursuit of the defeated enemy. Private
Allen remained with his regiment near Manassas during the rest
of the year 1861, and through the winter, and then accompanied it
to Richmond and Williamsburg. At the latter place the regiment
was particularly distinguished in the fight of May sth against the
advance of McCkllan's army. Moving through the woods to meet
the enemy before Fort Magruder, the gallant command emerged
in the face of a New York battery supported by a brigade under
General Hancock. Without pausing or wavering they charged
under heavy fire, without support at first, driving back the battery
and infantry before them. The Fifth North Carolina came to their
aid, and the two regiments joined in an attack and did not give
way, despite the fearful odds against them, until ordered to retire


by General Hill. For their bravery in this action the boys of the
Twenty-fourth received unstinted praise in the oflScial reports.
They lost severely, and again at Seven Pines, where as a part of
General Garland's brigade, they made a fierce attack through
swamp and thicket, upon the enemy. When Lee took command
the regiment was assigned to General Kemper's brigade. Long-
street's division, later commanded by Pickett, and thereafter was
identified with the service of those commands. It was distinguished
for intrepidity at Frayser's farm, and sustained its good record
throughout the war. This was shared by Private Allen, who was
in every action of Pickett's division, except at Petersburg, includ-
ing Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Plymouth, N. C, Drewry's Bluflf
and Cold Harbor. From June s, 1861, to December 25, 1863, he
never lost a day from duty, and at the latter date received a fur-
lough in recognition of his fidelity. Fortunately he was never
wounded, though his clothing was frequently cut by rifle balls, and
his wrist was grazed by a cannon ball on the day following the
capture of Harper's Ferry. On March 7, 1865, he received his first
sick furlough, of twenty days, and soon after his return he took
part in the fight at Five Forks, and was captured. He was con-
fined at Point Lookout until his parole, June 26, 1865. Since the
war he has been engaged in farming, also since 1879 in tobacco
warehousing, and has been successful in business. He was married
November 7, 1865, to Miss E. J. Munn, and has seven children:
Nannie S., Sallie O., Annie E., Fanny F., Peachy L., Lucy D., and
R. J. Allen.

S. Brown Allen, of Staunton, Va., a veteran of the Fourteenth
Virginia cavalry, was born in Bath county, in 184s, and soon after-
ward was brought by his parents to Augusta county, where he was
reared and educated. He entered the military service of Virginia
early in 1861 as a private in the Churchville cavalry company, which
was attached to the command of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and as-
signed to picket duty. A few months later the company with three
others was organized in a cavalry battalion, and in 18& it became
Company A of the Fourteenth cavalry. In this command Private
Allen served throughout the remainder of the war, being promoted
to corporal just before the battle of Gettysburg, and sergeant six
months later. During his service he participated in the battles of
Allegheny Mountain, Camp Bartow, McDowell's, Droop Moun-
tain, took part in the month's skirmishing with the Federals under
Averell up the valley from Sweet Spring mountain to Lynchburg,
and then returning down the valley he participated in Early's suc-
cessful pursuit of the enemy to the Potomac river. Continuing
under Early's command he shared in the march through Maryland
to the defenses before the city of Washington, in 1864, and took
part in the subsequent battles at Winchester, Cedar creek, Fisher's
Hill, Port Republic and Waynesboro. In the campaigns about
Richmond he served gallantly at Culpeper Court House, Brandy
Station, Gordonsville, and then being engaged at Petersburg from
early in 1865, was in the action at Five Forks, and the final combat
at Sailor's Creek. At Appomattox he did not surrender, but with
many others, being mounted, went through the enemy's lines and es-
caped. Returning to Augusta county a veteran at the age of twenty
years, he went upon the farm, and has continued ever since in agri-


cultural pursuits. He has taken a prominent part in political af-
fairs, and was one of Mahone's trusted lieutenants in his rnemorable
revolt against the Democratic party, in 1879, on the question of the
readjustment of the Virginia State debt. During the years
1882 and 1883 he served the State as auditor of public accounts.
For several years he held a position in the office of the secretary of
the United States Senate, and during the administration of Ben-
jamin Harrison he served as deputy collector of internal revenue
for the counties of Augusta. Rockbridge, Highland, Alleghany,
Bath and Botetourt. He is now United States marshal for the
western district of Virginia, having been appointed, after a spirited
contest, by President McKinley. A brother of Mr. Allen's, William
F. Allen, born in 1842, entered the same command in April, 1861,
and became second lieutenant of Company C of the Fourteenth
cavalry. He was killed at Gettysburg, in the second day's fight,
and fell dead in the arms of his brother.

Thomas B. Amiss, M. D., of Luray, Va., who was recognized
as one of the faithful and skillful among Confederate surgeons,
was born in Rappahannock county, Va., July 4, 1839. He
was educated at the Virginia military institute at Lexington, and
subsequently took a medical course at the university of Pennsyl-
vania, where he was graduated in March, 1861. The important
events of that period prevented his embarking in the practice at
pnce, and in the following month he was busily engaged in putting
in practice, instead, the lessons he had learned at Lexington, drill-
ing the volunteer companies of Rappahannock and Culpeper coun-
ties. He enlisted as a private in Company B, Sixth Virginia cav-
alry, and served with that command until after the first battle of
Manassas, when, in September, 1861, he was commissioned as-
sistant surgeon and assigned to duty in Bailey's factory hospital at
Richmond. He served at that post of duty until after the Peninsu-
lar campaign, when he was assigned as surgeon to the Thirty-first
regiment, Georgia infantry. Col. Clement A. Evans, then en-
camped near Gordonsville. He served in the field with this com-
mand through the Cedar Mountain, Manassas and Sharpsburg
campaigns, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and then, in the
spring of 1863, on account of impaired health, he was assigned to
hospital duty and ordered to report to Dr. Curry at Salisbury, N.
C. When that garrison was transferred to Andersonville, Ga., he
was ordered to report to Major Webb, at Weldon, N. C., where he
remained until the surrender of Johnston's army, when he was pa-
roled. Returning to Virginia he practiced medicine in Rappahan-
nock county until 1874, since when he has devoted himself to pro-
fessional duties at Luray, meeting with pronounced success, and
holding an influential place in the community. He was married
July 16, 1861, to Miss Mary E. Miller of his native county, and they
have three children: Thomas Jackson, superintendent of education
of Walker county, Ala.; Frederick T., a graduate of the Vir-
ginia military institute, and a civil engineer at Luray; and a daugh-
ter, Nannie M., the wife of J. B. Martin, an attorney at law of
Luray, Va.

George William Ammen, of Roanoke, was born in Botetourt
county in 1847. He was reared and educated in his native county,
and there, in his eighteenth year, enlisted in the service of the Con-


federate States. He becdtiie a private in Company D of the Elev-
enth Virginia infantry, January 19, 1865, and served gallantly in the
final engagetnents of the army of Northern Virginia, participating
in the skirmishes on the Howlett house line, several skirmishes *ith
Sheridan's cavalry on the Pamunkey river, and the actions at Din-
widdle Court House, Five Forks and High bridge. On the day fol-
lowing the fight at High bridge, he was pronounced unfit for fur-
ther duty on account of physical disability, and he consequently, on
the evening of April 8th left Appomattox for his home and was at
Lynchburg at the time of the surrender of the army. He farmed
in his native county until his removal in 1876 to Big Lick, now
Roanoke, where he clerked for Fishburne Bros, until 1887, when
he engaged in the laundry business. While in Botetourt county
he was honored by election to local offices, and in 1878 he was
elected deputy sergeant of Big Lick, a position he held for two
years. Mr. Ammen was married in Coles county. 111., in 1883,
to Lottie R. Greer, and they have five children — ^Tipton G., John
N., George W., Rudolph and Lottie E. Daniel Ammen, father of
the foregoing, a native of Botetourt county, also served in the Con-
federate cause, as his age permitted, as captain of the Botetourt
Home Guards. John Neville Ammen, an older brother of George
W., was distinguished for long and devoted service in behalf of
his native State. He was born in Botetourt county in 1842, and
was a member of the Fincastle Rifles, a volunteer company under
the command of Capt. William H. Anthony, which served at Har-
per's Ferry during the John Brown affair of 1859. In April, 1861,
he went out with his command, which became Company D of the
Eleventh Virginia regiment of infantry, and subsequeiitly served
throughout the entire war. He was among the first troops to oc-
cupy Manassas junction, and participated in the fighting in that
vicinity in July, 1861, and after that tiiere was not an engagement
of the army of Northern Virginia in which he did not bear his full
share of danger, fatigue and suffering. His innate cheerfulness made
him the life of his camp, and added to his intrepid courage, niade
him a most valuable soldier. He was wounded while taking part in
Pickett's immortal charge at Gettysburg, and again at the Wilder-
ness, and at Five Forks fell into the hands of the enemy ,_ by whom
he was held as a prisoner of war until July, 1865. At this last dis-
astrous engagement he was promoted from sergeant to captain for
fallantry on the field of battle. After the war he went West and
nally settled at Denver, was prosperous in business, married in
Roanoke and became the father of three children. But a few days
after the birth of his third child, James N. Ammen, an insidious dis-
ease terminated his life, June 23, 1895. Touching tributes to his
moral worth were made officially by the Lutheran church of that
city of which he was a member.

Captain Abner Anderson, of Danville, Va., was born in Pittsyl-
vania county, Va., December 2, 1832, the son of Joseph E. and
Minerva C. (Terry) Anderson, the father being a merchant and
farmer in that county. During the first two years of the war
Captain Anderson served as quartermaster of the Eighteenth Vir-
ginia regiment, and during the last two years, his health having
failed, he was attached as a clerk to the quartermaster's post at
Danville. After the close of hostilities he remained at the latter


cify, and continued in the management and editorial charge of the
Weekly Register, whidh he had first taken control of in 1856. In
1882 he established the Daily Register, and in 1886 and 1887 he
was upon the editorial staff of the Richmond Whig. Since 1894
he has held the office of superintendent of schools at Danville. He
maintains a membership in Cabell-Graves camp, Confederate Vet-

Captain Edward Willoughby Anderson, C. S. A., was born at St.
Augustine, Fla., November 11, 1841, of distinguished and patriotic
ancestry. His grandfather, Col. William Anderson, a native of
Chester, Pa., was the son of the Rev. James Anderson, first pas-
tor of the Presbyterian church at Middletown, near Chester, and a
firm supporter of the patriot cause during the Revolution. Colonel
Anderson entered the United States navy, served with Decatur in
the capture iof the Macedonian, and toward the end of his life,
was colonel of marines and in charge of the navy yard at Norfolk,
Va., the family home of his wife, Jane Willoughby, who was a de-
scendant of Col. Thomas Willoughby, who came to Virginia in
1610, owned Willoughby Point, opposite Fortress Monroe, and
was prominent in the early settlement of the Old Dominion, being
a member of the colonial council under Lord Berkeley. The mater-
nal grandfather, Capt. Elihu Brown, of Portsmouth, N. H., was
also distinguished in the navy during the war of 1812, as com-
mander of the privateer Fox. The father of Mr. Anderson, Capt.
James Willoughby Anderson, was graduated at West Point in 1833,
became an officer of the Second United States infantry, served with
distinction in the Seminole war, capturing some of the chief In-
dians lone-handed, and lost his life in the Mexican war during the
charge at Churubusco, in August, 1847. When the disruption of
the Union was imminent, young Anderson naturally felt that he
should follow the action of his pebple and it was for the Confed-
eracy he volunteered to draw his sword. He was at the time a
cadet at the United States military academy, where he had been ap-
pointed at large by request of Gen. Winfield Scott, after receiving
an education in liberal arts at the college of the City of New York.
In March, 1861, after the secession of South Carolina and Missis-
sippi, he declined to take the oath of allegiance, and resigned his
cadetship with sincere regret, and left West Point for the South,
being the first to take that decisive step. Arriving at Richmond in
April, 1861, he became an officer in the Virginia provisional army,
and as lieutenant was assigned to the Sixth Virginia infantry as
drill-master. Subsequently he was appointed to the engineer corps
of the regular army of the Confederate States, as a cadet, not
having yet reached the age of twenty-one years. He served as
an officer of engineers at Fort Norfolk, St. Helena and Craney
island, until the evacuation of that district, when he went with
General Huger to General Lee, and began an active career with
the army of Northern Virginia, which included nearly all its
famous campaigns and battles. He served during the Peninsu-
lar campaign, participating in the battles of the Chickahominy,
Cold Harbor and Malvern _ Hill, and then lay in hospital for sixty
days on account of injuries received at Cold Harbor. Subse-
quently he Was placed in charge of the artillery store at Rich-
mond, but soon applied for permission to go to the front, and


became assistant chief of ordnance on the staff of General Lee,
a position he held until after the battle of Fredericksburg, in De-
cember, 1863. Subsequently he served upon the stafif of Maj.-Gen.
W. D. Pender, commanding a division of A. P. Hill's corps,
until Pender fell mortally wounded at Gettysburg, and after that
time upon the staff of the successor to the command of the "Light
Division," Gen. Cadmus Wilcox, until the surrender at Appo-
mattox. Meanwhile he was commissioned captain of artillery in
the regular army. He was at Appomattox Court House when the
surrender of Lee's army took place, but made his way to the head-
quarters of Gen. J. E. Johnston, in North Carolina, and at the sur-
render of the latter, started with Gen. Wade Hampton to join
the army of the Trans-Mississippi. Hampton did not proceed fur-
ther than Yorkville, S. C, but Captain Anderson went on with
General Lee's scout, Shadbourne, and his party, toward Texas.
With three others he reached Alexandria, in the Red river coun-
try, but the Federals being in possession, and Gen. Kirby Smith
having surrendered. Captain Anderson went to New Orleans and
returned to Virginia upon a transport steamer. This terminated
his military career, and for a livelihood he engaged in teaching
school for a year at Norfolk. During his residence there he was
married to Miss Lizzie Masi, daughter of the Virginia educator
and composer, Prof. P. H. Masi. In 1867 he removed to Washing-
ton, D. C, studied law in the Columbian university, and was ad-
mitted to the bar in 1871. In his subsequent practice he has made
a specialty of patent law, a department of jurisprudence in which
he has attained high rank. His investigations in this line of work
are models of accuracy and thoroughness, and the correctness of
his conclusions is seldom found to be questionable. In the midst
of an active professional career he has retained a lively sympathy

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 69 of 153)