Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 70 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 70 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

for his comrades in the Confederate army, and maintains a mem-
bership in Pickett-Buchanan camp, of Norfolk, and in the Washing-
ton Confederate Veterans association, of which he was the organ-
izer and president.

Linnseus B. Anderson, M. D., a prominent physician of Norfolk,
Va., is a native of Caroline county, of that State, and the son of Dr.
Thomas Bates Anderson, who was born in Hanover county, Jan-
uary 14, 1792, the son of John Anderson, and he of Thomas Ander-
son, of English birth, who was a naval architect of Gloucester, Va.
Of the ancestry of the latter no authentic record is possessed. He
was born February 10, 1733, and married Frances Jones, of Glou-
cester, March 29, 1757. She, according to tradition and the cor-
roboration of associated facts, was the daughter of Elizabeth (Cary)
Jones, daughter of William Cary and granddaughter of Col. Myles
Cary, the immigrant to Virginia, whose ancestral lines run back to
Sir William Cary, husband of Mary Boleyn, the sister of Anne
Boleyn, and father of William Cary, lord mayor of Bristol. Dr.
Thomas B. Anderson's mother was a Miss Trevilian, whose mother
was Sophia Terry, akin to the families of the same name in Lynch-
burg and southwest Virginia, and to the Bates family of Missouri.
His father, John Anderson, who was in his minority during the
Revolution, and had small facilities for education, was nevertheless
a man of fine natural mental powers, and having determined to
fully educate his children, sent his son, Thomas B., to the academies


of Mr. Byars and Mr. Thomas Nelson, where, as the classmate of
I. Winston Jones and Joseph M. Shepherd, he completed his aca-
demic studies. He then passed two years in the office of Dr. Carter
Berkley, and in 1809 entered the university of Pennsylvania, where
he was graduated in medicine in 181 1. He was prominent in his
profession until his death, May 3, 1872. His wife, mother of Lin-
naeus B., was Harriet, daughter of John McLaughlin, whose wife
was nearly related to Commodore Maury and Gen. John Minor.
Dr. L. B. Anderson was educated principally by his father and
prepared for matriculation in the Richmond medical college,
where he was graduated at the age of eighteen years. Enter-
ing the practice at once in association with his father, he con-
tinued that partnership for more than thirty years, practicing in
the Virginia counties of Caroline, Hanover, Louisa and Spottsyl-
vania. He then removed to Norfolk, where he has been active and
prominent in his profession during fifteen years. He faithfully
supported the Confederacy, but during the first two years of the
war was kept out of the military service by continued illness. In
1863 he engaged in the scouting service for General Pettigrew, of
the army of Northern Virginia, and afterward was authorized to
organize a company of scouts, first called Home Guards, and later
the North Anna Mounted Rifles, or the North Anna Scouts.
With the rank of captain he led this troop in an adventurous and
valuable service, being attached at different times to the com-
mands of Gens. W. H. F. Lee, Kemper and Stuart, and others,
but mainly under the immediate orders of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
He was finally paroled at Richmond by Colonel Evans, of the
United States army, about ten days after the surrender at Appo-
mattox. During his professional career he has been devoted
to the routine of practice, but has also taken an active part in the
social life of the profession, and has contributed freely to the lit-
erature of medicine. He was a member of the first medical organi-
zation in Virginia in 1851, was first vice-president of the society of
alumni of the Virginia medical college, for two years was presi-
dent of the Norfolk medical society, and was a member of the Pan-
American medical congress at Washington. Since the war he has
been active in public affairs and has rendered efficient public ser-
vice as magistrate of Hanover county. He was a director in the
Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac railroad company. Dr.
Anderson was married February 4, 1846, to Edmonia T., daughter
of John T. Anderson, of Hanover county. Their children living
are Dr. Hermann B. Anderson, of Hanover county, Capt. Havelock
Anderson, of Kansas City, now serving in United States army,
Thomas J. Anderson, general passenger agent for the Seaboard Air
Line railroad, William T. Anderson, postmaster of Norfolk,
Sydney J. Anderson, water inspector of Norfolk, Mrs. I. T. Jack-
son, of Charlottesville, and Mrs. Dr. E. O. Peyton, of Aug^ista coun-
ty, Va. William T. Anderson, of Norfolk, son of the foregoing, was
born in Hanover county, July 6, 1865. He was educated in the
school of Alfred Duke, continued his studies at Hatcher's academy
in Orange county and at Richmond college, and then in the sum-
mer of 1885 removed to Norfolk, which has since been his home.
In 1891 he became one of the incorporators and a director of the
Nottingham & Wrenn company, which stands at the head of the


coal and lumber trade in the city. He is also one of the principal
stockholders in the Tidewater ice company. In 1892 he became
the representative of his ward upon the Democratic executive com-
mittee, and was reappointed in 1894. In 1896 he was elected to a
membership in the city council, and by his party was chosen chair-
man of the executive committee for the city organization. Both
these positions he resigned on March 2, 1897, to accept from Pres-
ident Cleveland the appointment of postmaster of Norfolk. In
1890 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Kate Nottingham, and
they have four children.

William A. Anderson, a distinguished citizen of Lexington, Va.,
who participated with gallantry in the early achievements of the
Stonewall brigade, was born in Botetourt county in 1842. At the
passage of the ordinance of secession he was a student at Wash-
ington college, Lexington, and left that institution in April, for the
military service of the State, as orderly-sergeant of the Liberty
Hall Volunteers, which became Company I of the Fourth regiment
of infantry. He participated with this command in the affair at
Falling Waters, and in the battle of July 21, 1861, at Manassas, when
he received a wound in the knee which confined him to his bed for
five months and for years compelled him to resort to the use of
crutches. Nevertheless, in 1864, while yet on crutches, he was a
member of an artillery company formed in Albemarle county, of
disabled soldiers, and saw some service there and with the home
guards of Rockbridge county in raids against Averell and other
Federal commanders. After the war he studied law in the uni-
versity of Virginia, graduating in 1866, and since then has been
engaged in the practice of his profession at Lexington. He has
been prominent in political affairs, as a campaign speaker and for
ten years as member of the State executive committee of the Dem-
ocratic party. In 1869 he was elected to the State senate and
served until 1873. Subsequently he was a member of the house
from 1883 to 1885 and from 1887 to 1889. During the Paris expo-
sition of 1888 he served as one of the United States commissioners,
and prepared a report on the railway exhibit, transportation, etc.
In recognition of his services he received a diploma and medal
from the French government.

John S. Apperson, M. D., of Marion, Va., was born August 21,
1837, in Orange county, Va., and passed the first six years of his
life upon the field where the bloody battle of Chancellorsville was
fought a quarter of a century later. In 1859 he removed to Smyth
county, and was engaged in the study of medicine when the crisis
arrived between the North and South. Upon the day that Fort
Sumter surrendered he enlisted as a private in the Smyth Blues, a
volunteer organization which soon afterward was called to Rich-
mond and thence sent to Harper's Ferry, where it became Company
D of the Fourth Virginia infantry, brigade of Gen. T. J. Jackson,
the "Stonewall brigade." Soon after reaching this rendezvous
Private Apperson, on account of his professional acquirements, was
detailed as hospital steward under Surgeon Harvey Black, with
whom he served until just before the battle of Fredericksburg,
when he was attached to the field infirmary of the Second corps,
army of Northern Virginia, the first organized traveling infirmary
of the civil war. It was a thoroughly equipped field hospital, acting
intermediary to the field and general hospitals. In the course of


his valued and faithful service Dr. Apperson was present at every
engagement of the armies of Lee and Jackson, except the fight
at Seven Pines. He was with Jackson at Kernstown, Bull Pasture
Mountain and McDowell, Front Royal, Winchester, Cross Keys
and Port Republic, then all the battles of Jackson's corps through
1862, from the Chickahominy to Fredericksburg. He passed the
winter at Guiney's Station, and in the following year served upon
the battlefields of Chancellorsville, Winchester, Gettysburg and
Payne's Farm, and during the return from Pennsylvania was ac-
tively engaged in a skirmish at Williamsport, in command of a
small body of Confederates, driving ofif a party of the enemy. After
wintering at Orange Court House he was present in all the battles
from the Wilderness to Richmond, then in the Lynchburg cam-
paign, the pursuit of the Yankees down the valley, the expedition
through Maryland, including the battle of Monocacy, and the
skirmishes before Washington, closing this busy year with the cam-
paign of Early against Sheridan. After wintering at Fishersville,
and witnessing the disastrous fight at Waynesboro, he rejoined
Lee at Richmond March 25, 1865, and soon afterward participated
in the movement toward Lynchburg which closed at Appomattox.
He came home with a mule, the only pay received for his ser-
vices, which he disposed of to obtain drugs, and he then began
the practice of medicine. In 1867 he was graduated at the uni-
versity of Virginia, and established himself for professional work at
Chilhowie, where he remained until 1887. At this time he be-
came a member of the building committee of the Southwestern
asylum for the insane, and upon the completion of the institution
served two years as assistant physician. Then after two years' prac-
tice at Glade Springs he made his home at Marion, where he has
since continued in practice, with the exception of one year spent
at Chicago. In 1868 Dr. Apperson was married to Ellen V. Hull,
who died in 1887, and two years later he was married to Miss
Lizzie Black.

Frank M. Arthur, a prosperous farmer of Nansemond county,
Va., and a veteran of Pickett's division, army of Northern Vir-
ginia, was born at the family home, where he now resides, in 1843.
He is the son of James S. Arthur, also a farmer, and the grandson
of John S. Arthur, a native of England, who came to America and
settled in that county, subsequently serving as a soldier in the
war of 1812. The mother of Mr. Arthur was Charlotte, daughter of
James Ward, also a soldier of 1812. Early in 1862, being about
nineteen years of age, Arthur enlisted in Company I of the Ninth
Virginia regiment of infantry, formerly known as the Craney Island
artillery, and soon afterward fought in his first battle at Malvern
Hill, where the company behaved like veterans. He subsequently
participated in the battles at Warrenton Springs, Second Manassas,
Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg, and the December battle of Fred-
ericksburg. Marching into Pennsylvania with the army, he was
one of the heroes who charged up the slope of Cemetery hill in
the battle of Gettysburg, on July 3d His company lost twenty-
seven out of thirty-eight men that went into the fight. Private
Arthur was among those who gained the Federal lines, and was
near General Armistead when the latter fell. He was captured and
confined at Fort Delaware and Point Lookout about fourteen
months, and while in prison was elected second lieutenant by his


comrades. On being exchanged he rejoined his company at Rich-
mond, and participated in the fighting during the long siege of
Richmond, in command of his company. At the battle of Five
Forks he was again captured on April I, l86s, and from then until
the latter part of June was confined at Johnson's island, Ohio.
Then returning to his home, he resumed the occupation_ of farm-
ing, and still resides upon the farm of one hundred and ninety-two
acres on the banks of the Nansemond, which has always been in
possession of his family since his ancestor acquired it. He was
married in 1872 to Mary, daughter of Hardy C. Williams, of Gates
county, N. C, and they have one child living, William Hardy
Arthur, a student in the university college of medicine.

Captain William Aylett Ashby was born in Culpeper county,
Va., in 1838, the son of John Thompson and Emily Buckner Ashby.
His early life was spent at Culpeper Court House. In 1859 the
Culpeper Minute Men were organized, and he was elected sergeant,
the company being commanded by Capt. Tazewell Patton, The
Minute Men were ordered to Harper's Ferry in April, l86l, and
were assigned to the Thirteenth Virginia regiment. Col. A. P.
Hill's regiment. Sergeant Ashby was appointed quartermaster ser-
geant of this regiment at Winchester in the spring of 1861. This
position he held until the spring of 1863, when he was elected first
lieutenant of Company E, Thirteenth Virginia. He was made
captain of this company soon after the battle of Fredericksburg,
the captain of Company E having been killed in battle. Captain
Ashby was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court
House, and many other engagements. He was with General Ewell
at Lynchburg, and with General Early in the campaign of the Val-
ley of Virginia, and took part in its engagements. He was cap-
tured at Fisher's Hill, and remained in prison until the close of
the war. Immediately after the war he was in Baltimore for about
six years, connected with a large dry goods house, then moved to
Culpeper Court House and was a merchant there for fifteen years.
He was appointed postmaster under Cleveland's second adminis-
tration. He married Miss Nellie P. Alcocke, of Culpeper, Va., and
they have two sons, one practicing law at Newport News, Va., and
the other chief clerk of division of Chesapeake & Ohio railway
company from Ashland to Louisville, Ky. C. Aylett Ashby, son
of the foregoing, was born in Culpeper county, July 19, 1874, and
was graduated in law at Richmond college, in 1896, and at once
established himself at Newport News, where he is highly regarded,
and has the promise of a successful career.

General Turner Ashby Camp Guard: At Winchester, Va.,
where the memory of the chivalrous Confederate hero. Gen. Turner
Ashby, is specially precious, his name is honored by the title of
the organized camp of Confederate veterans, also by an auxiliary
association, known as Gen. Turner Ashby Camp Guard, of Win-
chester, which is worthy of notice. The purpose of the guard is
to cherish and perpetuate the memories of Confederate soldiers,
and their heroic struggle for their cause, to aid in ministering to
the wants of disabled comrades and their widows and orphans, and
to act as an escort of the camp at its public appearances. "The
membership is restricted to sympathizers and sons of Confed-
erate soldiers or sailors. The roll in 1897 bore the names of sixty-


five gallant young men of Winchester, under the command of Capt.
A. M. Baker, who has been prominent in the formation of the
association, and is entitled to much credit for its success. The
public appearances of the Guard, uniformed in full gray, and bear-
ing swords, are always a subject of flattering comment. This or-
ganization, the first of its kind in the country, is deemed worthy
of mention here, as an instance of the honor paid to the Confed-
erate cause by the generation which has taken the place of the
soldiers of 1861-65.

Lieutenant William W. Athey; of Leesburg, a distinguished vet-
eran of the Seventeenth Virginia infantry, was born near Mount
Vernon, Va., August 15, 1836. In the spring of 1855 he re-
moved to Leesburg, which has been his home since that date, ex-
cept during the period of his service in the Confederate army.
He enlisted among the first, in the spring of 1861, as a member of
Company C of the Seventeenth regiment of infantry, under com-
mand of the gallant M. D. Corse. At the time of enlistment he
was appointed third sergeant, and on the organization was pro-
moted to the rank of sergeant-major of the regiment. On July i,
1861, he was promoted first sergeant of the company, and on April
29, 1862, first lieutenant, the rank in which he served during the
remainder of the war. He participated in the battles in 1861 of
Blackburn's Ford and Manassas, and in 1862, during the Mary-
land campaign, fought at South mountain or Boonsboro, where
his gallantry received special mention in the official report of
Colonel Corse. Here he was slightly wounded. In the Penin-
sular campaign of 1862, he fought at Williamsburg, Seven Pines and
Frayser's farm, and was captured by the enemy in the latter en-
gagement, but fortunately was exchanged after a month's imprison-
ment. Subsequently he participated in the battle of Fredericksburg,
the siege of Suffolk, Manassas Gap, July 21, 1863; Flat Creek
Bridge, May 14. 1864, and Drewr/s Bluff. At the time of the sur-
render at Appomattox he was absent on leave, and soon afterward
was paroled. He then quietly resumed the duties of civil life, and
became engaged in the tailoring^ business, which was his occupa-
tion before the war. He maintains a membership in the Clinton-
Hatcher camp. Lieutenant Athey was married in 1858, and his fam-
ily includes five children.

Colonel T. P. August. After Virginia had passed the ordinance
of secession (April 17, 1861), T. P. Aug^ust, one of her prominent
citizens, at once began to raise a regiment, and on May 21, 1861,
was on the peninsula at the head of a regiment of Virginia vol-
unteers in the army operating under General Magruder. His
regiment became the Fifteenth Virginia and he received from the
Confederate government the confirmation of his rank as colonel.
He continued to serve under General Magruder until after the
Seven Days' battles around Richmond in the summer of 1862.
In his report of these battles General Magruder says: "Col. T.
P. August was particularly^ distinguished." He was wounded and
was unable to participate in the Second Manassas and Maryland
campaigns. At Fredericksburg he was again at the head of his
regiment. At the time of the battle of Chancellorsville he was
with Longstreet in southeast Virginia. _ He was afterward on de-
tached duty, and was not engaged in active campaigning again dur-


ing the war.. Since the return of peace he has spent most of his
time in Richmond, engaged in the practice of law.

Major William J. Baker, of the Confederate States army, a
brother of Gen. Lawrence S. Baker, and a descendant of Gen.
Lawrence Baker, of the Continental army, was born in North Car-
olina, a son of Dr. John B. Baker, a leading physician of Gates
county, and for many years a prominent member of the legislature
of that State. He was educated for the legal profession, and on
reaching manhood was admitted to practice by the supreme court
of the State. He pursued the practice of law until North Carolina
entered the Confederacy, when he volunteered for military duty,
and was assigned to the general staff of the army. Early in his
military career he was on duty at headquarters in Norfolk, and
later was in the field as a member of the staff of Gen. J. J. Petti-
grew, until that officer was killed during the retreat from Gettys-
burg. At the time of the surrender at Appomattox he was post
commander at Raleigh, N. C, and at once repaired to the head-
quarters of Gen. J. E. Johnston, with whom he was surrendered at
Greensboro. Subsequently he made his home at Norfolk, and was
engaged in the practice of law and business pursuits until his death
in 1882. The wife of Major Baker was Sarah F. Collins, of Ports-
mouth, who died in 1889. Their son. William Lawrence Baker,
was born at Norfolk, July 29, i8s7, and was educated at the school
of Prof. N. B. Webster, Norfolk, and Brigham's school at Me-
baneville, N. C. Subsequently he was for three years employed by
the Merchants' and Miners' transportation company, for several
years was purser with the Washington steamship line, and after ten
years' service as a cotton weigher, resigned that position for the
office of city collector, to which he was elected in i8g6. He was
formerly a member of the Light Artillery Blues, and is connected
with several fraternal orders.

Colonel John Brown Baldwin, one of the most loved leaders
of the Virginia people during the period following the war of the
Confederacy, was born at Spring Farm, near Staunton, January 11,
1820, and died September 30, 1873. He was the eldest son of the
late Judge Briscoe G. Baldwin, of the supreme court of appeals,
whose wife was Martha Steele Brown, daughter of Judge John
Brown, chancellor of the Staunton circuit. Destined by ancestral
inspiration and his own inclinations to a legal career, he obtained
a liberal education at Staunton academy and the university of
Virginia, and then entered the law office of his father. At the age
of twenty-one he became the professional partner of his brother-
in-law, Hon. A. H. H. Stuart, and three years later embarked upon
an independent career as a practitioner. On September 20, 1842,
he was married to Susan Madison, eldest daughter of the eminent
lawyer, John Howe Peyton. As a whig he participated in the polit-
ical campaign of 1844, and at the age of twenty-four years first at-
tracted public attention to his remarkable powers as an orator. At
this time, as throughout his life, the great power of his oratory lay
in the strength of his arguments, his firm and unwavering grasp of
the essential points at issue, and the consciousness of his audience
that he honestly believed every word he said. He was not ornate,
but his sentences were full of meaning and fell with sledge-hammer
weight. Elected to the legislature he soon distinguished himself,
and courageously took such ground regarding the proposed new


constitution that he was defeated at the next election. He contin-
ued to take part in the political campaigns, and held rank in the
militia as a colonel. In i860 he was one of the most ardent sup-
porters of the Union, and opened the State campaign for Bell and
Everett by a powerful speech at Richmond. In 1861 he sat in the
State convention from Augusta county, and during the session had
an interview with President Lincoln as a representative of the
Union members. He returned greatly disappointed, and when it
became certain that secession and war were inevitable he retired
to his chamber and broke into tears. But when the ordinance had
been ratified by the people he signed it, and with entire bravery
took up the issue of the State. He accepted the office of inspector-
general of the Virginia troops from Governor Letcher, and when
these troops had been turned over to the Confederate States, he
was commissioned colonel of the Fifty-second Virginia infantry.
With this command he served in the West Virginia campaign until
prostrated by a physical ailment which finally terminated his life.
Before his recovery he was elected to the Confederate Congress,
where he served with distinction during the continuance of the
government, meanwhile, during the recesses of Congress, frequently
being in active service as colonel of a home regiment of reserves.
In May, 1865, he took an active part in a meeting at Staunton to
advocate the restoration of peace and the preservation of order,
and in the fall he was elected to the house of delegates, of which
he served as speaker. In December, 1867, he was prominent in the
great convention for organization against the "Underwood consti-
tution," and there proposed a system of political organization that
became of great efficiency. In 1868 he was president of the con-
vention of the conservative party, and declined the nomination for
governor in a speech which led a prominent journal to say that he
had "reached the zenith of the confidence of the people of Virginia
and stood before them almost without a peer." He was chair-
man of the Virginia delegation to the Democratic national con-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 70 of 153)