Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 72 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 72 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and was educated at Hanson's academy and the university of Vir-
ginia. He studied law under his father and Judge John Tayloe
Lomax, of Fredericksburg, and began the practice of his profession
at that city in 1841. During the next twenty years he was a suc-
cessful attorney, was for a long time an influential member of the
city council and a leader in public affairs. He was also captain
of the Washington Guards, and when his company and the Fred-
ericksburg Grays were formed in a battalion in i860, he was com-
missioned major. During 1861 he served as major of the Thirtieth
Virginia regiment, and participated in its service. Upon the re-
organization, in 1862, he was transferred from the line to staff
duties, and throughout the remainder of the war Major Barton
served as judge advocate general in the army of Northern Virginia.
Before his death he stated that the most pleasant recollections he
had of the great struggle were of the lives he had been permitted
to save from hasty condemnation. In this service he not only pre-
served for the army some good soldiers, but brought happiness
again to many a pleading wife whose husband had for some of-
fense brought himself under the stern judgment of a court-martial.
After the war he resumed his law practice at Fredericksburg, and
by his honorable and genial life became one of the most popular
citizens of the town. From 1870 until his death he held the office
of judge of the circuit comprising the city of Fredericksburg and
eight counties. His wife, Marion Eliza Jenifer, of Maryland, passed
away three years before his demise, which occurred January 16,
1898.

William Upshur Bass, a prominent wholesale merchant of Rich-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 717

mond, is a native of that city, born in 1841. He was reared and
educated at Richmond until the secession of tne State, when, though
he had not yet reached the military age, he entered with enthusiasm
into the Confederate cause. He enlisted, April 21, 1861, as a pri-
vate in Company D of the First Virginia regiment of infantry, and
served about seven months before it was discovered that he was
under the required age. He was then discharged from the service,
but in spite of this he managed to remain with his company another
three or four months, and rendered active service in many impor-
tant engagements. Finally returning to Richmond he soon after-
ward became a member of the President's Guard, with the rank of
first sergeant, and subsequently was promoted first lieutenant.
With this command he served at the president's home, and in and
about the city in its defense and finally, during the siege of 1864-6S
at Fort Harrison. At the evacuation of the city, he was captured
by the Federal troops, and paroled there. Among the battles in
which he participated were Bull Run, First Manassas, Mason's Hill,
Munson's Hill, Fairfax Court House, Falls Church and the fighting
at Fort Harrison in defense of Richmond, in all of which he ren-
dered honorable service as a Confederate soldier. Lieutenant Bass
was in command of the company that brought the prisoners off of
the boat Shawsheen. After the close of the war he engaged in com-
mercial pursuits and is now successfully conducting a wholesale
grocery business. In March, 1864, Lieutenant Bass was married to
Sallie E., daughter of Robert Redford, a native of Virginia, and
they have four sons and three daughters living, and have lost one
daughter. Lieutenant Bass is a valued member of both the R. E.
Lee and G. E. Pickett camps of Confederate veterans at Richmond.
Rev. Henry Wilson Battle, D. D., was born July 19, 1856, in the
town of Tuskegee, Ala., which in those days few southern com-
munities outranked in wealth and refinement. In the first part
of the century, his grandfather. Dr. Cullen Battle, a man of refined
culture and ample wealth, had emigrated from the Old North State.
Henry's father rendered distinguished services to the South in the
hour of her need and her greatest peril. On the platform during
those years of heated debate, that finally precipitated the civil war,
his eloquent tongue was often heard, and his name was often
coupled with Alabama's greatest forensic orator, William L.
Yancey. And when the war of words became a war of swords, there
was not a braver soldier, or more gallant officer, to follow the for-
tunes of the Confederacy than Brig.-Gen. Cullen A. Battle, of the
army of Northern Virginia. Early in life Henry W. Battle showed
the marks of this heredity in his strong mental endowments and
oratorical gifts. Before he had attained his majority he was chosen
by the executive committee of the Democratic party of Alabama to
canvass the State with" the famous orator. Gen. Alpheus Baker, and
at the following session of the legislature, his disabilities of nonage
were removed by special act, to enable him to hold office. At the
age of nineteen he became a member of one of the most distin-
g^uished and brilliant bars in the South. Three years after his ad-
mission to the bar, and while there was pending a flattering propo-
sition to practice law in New York, to the surprise of his friends
he suddenly announced his purpose to enter the gospel ministry,
and in less than a month he had entered the Southern Baptist the-
ological seminary. Dr. Battle's first pastorate was at Columbus,



718 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Miss., one of the most prominent churches of that State. A not
overstrong constitution soon felt the effect of the Columbus cli-
mate, and after three years of successful work, he was compelled
to seek a more invigorating atmosphere. This brought him at
length to North Carolina, where, with tokens of divine blessing,
he served in several town pastorates. It was at this time and in
the Old North State that he found his helpmeet, a woman in
every way suited to share his life work, its toils and its honors.
He was on the nth of June, 1889, married to Miss Margaret Stew-
art, of Clinton, N. C. At this writing it has been six years since
Dr. Battle came to the pastorate of the First Baptist church of
Petersburg, Va., and his ministry in the Cockade city has been an
uninterrupted success. Presiding over a large congregation of
wealthy and cultivated people, he measures up to the full require-
ments of the highjposition and exerts a commanding influence on
the moral and spiritual life of the city. In the State of Virginia
Dr. Battle easily takes a front rank in the Baptist denomination
and his voice is heard and influence felt in all her councils. He
is the honored president of the Sunday School and Bible board,
and a valued trustee of the Woman's college at Richmond, Va.
Soon after his coming to Virginia he received from Wake Forest
college, the honorary degree of doctor of divinity.

Oscar F. Baxter, of Norfolk, a veteran of the cavalry of the
army of Northern Virginia, was born in Currituck county, N. C,
where his family had resided for several generations, his
grandfather, Isaac Baxter, having been a prosperous planter, and
sheriff of the county for over forty years. He was left an orphan
in early boyhood by the death of his father, Isaac N. Baxter, in
1855, and by the death of his mother, whose maiden name was
Frances Bray, in 1852. From 1855 until 1862 he made his home
with his uncle, Dr. Oscar F. Baxter, for whom he was named,
who had served in the United States army as a surgeon during the
Mexican war, and subsequently held the same rank in the Con-
federate States army. At the age of seventeen he left his uncle's
home at Kempsville, Princess Anne county, Va., and in May, 1862,
entered the Confederate service as a private in Burrough's Four-
teenth battalion of cavalry. After the evacuation of Norfolk in
1862, this battalion was united with the Fifteenth battalion of cav-
alry, the two forming the Fifteenth Virginia regiment of cavalry.
Still later the Fifteenth was consolidated with the Fifth Virginia
regiment of cavalry. With this gallant command he endured the
dangers and hardships of a soldier's life, sharing in fatiguing
marches and going sometimes for three days and nights without
food, and missing none of the engagements of his regiment ex-
cept when he was a prisoner of war. Among the prominent bat-
tles of his service were Seven Pines, Manassas, Fredericksburg,
Chancellorsville, Culpeper Court House, Brandy Station, Luray,
Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Gainesville, Trevilian Station, Reams'
Station. In 1864 he was captured in eastern North Carolina and
was confined at Point Lookout seven months. On being exchanged
he rejoined his command and served until the surrender at Appo-
mattox, receiving his final parole at Norfolk. Returning to his
home before he was twenty-one, he engaged in farming until 1891,
meanwhile removing to Broad Creek, Princess Anne county. Since
1891 he has resided at Norfolk, and has been occupied with real



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 719

estate business. He is a member of Pickett-Buchanan camp, and of
the orders of Masons and Knights of Pythias. He is a communi-
cant of St. Peter's Episcopal church. He was married January
l6, 1872, to Mary Granby Scott, who died May 19, 1897, leaving
three children, Mary Arraitt, Alan Leonidas, Frank Clifton.

C. B. Beale, of Norfolk, a gallant soldier of the Thirty-first North
Carolina infantry, was born in Hertford county, N. C, June 10,
1843. His father, William Beale, born in the same county Jan-
uary I, 1800, dying in 1861, was a very successful farmer, owning
two plantations and a large number of slaves. His mother, whose
maiden name was Martha Ann Britt, born February 8, 1808, dying
in 1886, was a descendant of the excellent Goodman family, of Vir-
ginia. Young Beale was educated in Buckhorn academy of his
native township, until he had reached the age of seventeen years,
when he enlisted, in April, 1861, as a private in the Hertford Light
Infantry. Shortly afterward he was sent home on a sick furlough,
and during his absence the company was captured by General But-
ler at Cape Hatteras. He then enlisted in the Hertford County
Guards, Company G of the Thirty-first North Carolina regiment
of infantry, in which he served during the remainder of the war,
being promoted to fifth sergeant of his company and sergeant
major of his regiment. At Roanoke island, February 12, 1862, he
was captured with his entire command and paroled for six months,,
after which the regiment was reorganized at Raleigh in September.
He participated in the fight at White Hall, N. C, where he was
wounded in the right shoulder, was engaged against a colored di-
vision under General Terry on James island, August 16, 1863, and
two days later served in the defense of Battery Wagner, on Morris
island, against the attack of the Federals, which lasted from sun-
rise until I o'clock of the following morning, and ended in their
repulse with a loss of 2,000. He assisted in the capture of the
Federal gunboat Smith Briggs, at Smithfield, Va., and was next
with the gallant command which fought its way through Butler's
lines between Richmond and Petersburg, May 12, 1864, and joined
the Confederate force at Drewry's bluflf, fighting there on May 16th,
and at Bermuda Hundreds on the day following. On May 31st he
fought against Grant at Cold Harbor, his regiment losing no
men in ten minutes, and took part in the repulse of the Federals
next day. On the following day, while attempting to dislodge the
enemy who had occupied a gap between Early and Hoke, the at-
tacking Confederates lost about half their men, and Sergeant Major
Beale was wounded in the left temple. He declined an offered fur-
lough, and was so anxious to rejoin his regiment that the hos-
pital officials sent him to the command, on the Petersburg lines,
in an ambulance, June i6th, and during that night and the next day
he took part in the repulse of the Federal assault. Though now
in a serious physical condition he stayed in the trenches, and fought
again August 19th, in defense of the Weldon railroad. He next par-
ticipated in the attempt to recapture Fort Harrison, where the
regiment went in with 202 men, the remaining 20 being detailed as
an ambulance corps, and had 200 men killed or wounded, he finding
himself in the fiercest engagement he had yet encountered. In
the early part of the fight one of the bones of his right leg was
shattered, but finding he couldyet walk he pressed on until within
forty yards of the fort, when his left leg was struck above the knee



720 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

joint, fracturing the femur. He fell, and believing that if he did
not have the care of friends he could not recover, he cravirled to a
point where he could hide behind a tree and await the night, when
he was picked up by the ambulance corps. After a month in hos-
pital and a furlough of sixty days Jie rejoined his regiment at Wil-
mington, N. C, on crutches, and in an ambulance accompanied
his regiment to Sugar Loaf in support of Fort Fisher. Subse-
quently he participated in the three days' fight at Kinston, N. C,
and at Bentonville, and fought in the last battle of the war. ^ He
was captured and paroled at Neal's Ferry, N. C, in May. Since
1867 he has resided at Norfolk, and was employed in the wholesale
grocery business and the dairy business until 1893, when he became
a commission merchant, his present occupation. He is a member
of Spurgeon Memorial Baptist church, and of the order of Royal
Arch Masons. He has two daughters living, Essie R., wife of Percy
R. Jones, of Florence, Ala., and Eva P., wife of C. E. Herbert, of
Norfolk.

Edward T. Beall, adjutant of William Watts camp. United Con-
federate Veterans, at Roanoke, Va., is a native of Monongalia
county, now included in the State of West Virginia. Born Feb-
ruary 21, 1847, he was far under the military age at the outbreak of
the war, but he was thoroughly imbued with the patriotic impulses
which brought so many Virginians into the field at the first call
to arms. Finally, on November 29, 1862, being in his sixteenth
year, he became a member of Company F of the First Virginia
Partisan Rangers. In the following month a reorganization was
made, in consequence of which he was assigned to Company H of
the Sixty-second Virginia regiment of infantry. With this com-
mand he served gallantly until captured by the enemy. He partic-
ipated in an engagement at Beverly, W. Va., in April, 1863, on July
6th fought at Williamsport, Md., and on October i8th took part in
the engagement at Charlestown, W. Va. After this he was engaged
in several scouting expeditions in Randolph county, and on the re-
turn from the last of these, December 6, 1863, he fell into the hands
of the Federals. From that date until after the close of the war
he suffered the hardships and deprivations, and mental and bodily
suffering incident to imprisonment in the Northern camps. He was
held three months at Camp Chase, Ohio, and thence was trans-
ferred to Fort Delaware, where he was kept from March 4, 1864,
to June 20, 1865. He still has in his possession his order of re-
lease which restored him to friends and home. Since the war he
has been a worthy and valued citizen, as becomes a brave veteran
of the army of Northern Virginia. In October, 1873, he was mar-
ried to Miss Judith Lowry, and they have two daughters, Mary
Triplett, born July 6, 1875, and Mildred Key, born June 24, 1877.

C. W. Beatie, of Chilhowie, Va., was born in Smyth county, Jan-
uary 28, 1828, the son of Robert and Pauline Beatie. He was
reared in Smyth county and resided there until he entered the Con-
federate service. He enlisted as a private in Derrick's battalion in
the command of General Loring, and was soon afterward made
assistant quartermaster. Though before the close of the war he
was past the age limit fixed at the reorganization of 1862, he con-
tinued in the service, and faithfully performed the duties of a sol-
dier. After his service with General Loring he became a member
of King's battery, stationed at the defenses of Richmond, and served



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 721

in this capacity until the Confederate capital was evacuated. Be-
fore the investment of the city by Grant he had been serving with
his company in southwest Virginia, defending the salt works at
Saltville, but being ordered back, he served on the lines, until the
retreat to Appomattox began. His company was disbanded at
Newbern, Pulaski county, and he then returned to Chilhowie, where
he now resides. He is married to Flora Bailey, a native of West
Virginia, and they have four children: Alonzo C. Bailey, Catherine
P., Carrie A. and Rowena. T. T. Beatie, a brother of the fore-
going, now residing near Alexandria, Va., served with Mosby's
cavalry throughout the war, winning by his gallantry the rank of
lieutenant.

Major Henderson Moffett Bell, formerly a member of the well-
known law firm of Echols, Bell & Catlett, of Staunton, and con-
spicuous during the war for important services rendered the army
of Northern Virginia, is a native of Augusta county, born in 1826.
He is the son of James Bell, born in the same county in 1772, died
in 1856, who served for a considerable period as sheriff and high
sheriff and was for thirty years presiding justice of the county
court. The father of the latter was Joseph Bell, also a native of
Augusta county, born in 1742, who during the Revolution occupied
the position of supply agent in Augusta county for the army, and
survived until 1823. The latter's father, William Bell, the founder
of the family in America, left his native land, the north of Ireland,
with his four eldest children, about 1722, and after residing in
Pennsylvania until 1738, made his home in Augusta county, where
he died in 1756 and was interred at Fort Defiance, near Staunton.
Major Bell was graduated at Washington college in 1847, then
studied law with Judge Lucas P. Thompson at Staunton, and in
1849 was admitted to the bar. He continued in the practice with
much success until April, 1861, when he entered the military service
of the State, and was at once assigned to the duty of receiving and
forwarding troops to the front, and stationed at Staunton. In the
following August he was commissioned captain and assigned by
Col. M. G. Harman to the quartermaster's department, in charge of
that branch of the service at Staunton. In 1862 he was promoted
major, the rank in which he served during the remainder of the
war, in charge of the quartermaster's department of the Valley.
The duties of this important position were discharged by him
with remarkable eflSciency. He furnished all the supplies from
Staunton for the armies of Jackson and Lee with satisfactory
promptness, and was able to dp so without in any case resorting to
impressment. During the period of this service he organized fac-
tories for the production of shoes and clothing, and made and set
up machines for the manufacture of shoe-pegs, concerns which
were able to turn out from one hundred and fifty to two hundred
pairs of shoes daily and about the same number of suits of cloth-
ing. With the surrender of the army, which put an end to this
activity, he was paroled at Staunton, and returned to the duties of
his profession. A law partnership was soon formed between Gen-
eral Echols, Col. R. H. Catlett and himself, which continued for a
number of years, and gained a prominent position in the legal pro-
fession of the State. In 1869 he yielded to the wishes of the people
of the county that he should represent Augusta in the State legis-
lature, and held a membership in the important assembly which



722 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

reorganized the State government. As chairman of the committee
of schools and colleges, and as a member of the committee on
courts of justice, he took a conspicuous part in the organization of
the free school system and the reorganization of the judiciary.
During his merabershij) he was one of the victims of the capitol
disaster, but escaped with no greater injury than the breaking of
an arm. In 1852, Major Bell was married to Ann M., daughter of
William Kinney, of Staunton, a prominent lawyer, president of the
Central bank of Virginia, and for many years a member of the Vir-
ginia house and senate. They have three children living: Richard
Phillips, Ann, and Henderson Moflfett, Jr.

Edward L. Bennett, of Leesburg, a gallant soldier of the Thirty-
fifth battalion of cavalry, was born in Loudoun county, near Lees-
burg, May 21, 1842, There he was reared and educated, and early
in the second year of the Confederacy, on March 20, 1862, enlisted
in Company A in the command of Col. E. V. White, as a sergeant.
In this command he served under Stonewall Jackson in the arduous
but brilliant campaign in the valley, fighting at Front Royal, Win-
chester, Strasburg, Cross Keys, Port Republic, thence proceeding
to the support of Lee and fighting in the Seven Days' battles which
drove McClellan's army from the front of Richmond. Subsequently
in the same year he fought at Brandy Station, at Cedar Mountain
and the second battle of Manassas, where the enemy was again de-
feated, and' then joined in the campaign in Maryland, taking part
in the heroic stand made at Sharpsburg against the overwhelming
odds of the Federal army. His service continued throughout 1863^
including the Pennsylvania campaign, his command leading the
advance to Gettysburg, and the battle of Gettysburg. In 1864 he
fought in the Wilderness campaign, and in June met Sheridan at
Trevilian Station, where he was struck in the right leg by a shell,
causing a wound which resulted in the amputation of the limb.
This very severe injury brought about his retirement from the
service of the Confederate States, though still anxiously devoted to
the cause. Returning from hospital to his home he soon embarked
in mercantile business in which he was engaged for five years. He
then entered upon a long official career, in which he has been hon-
ored with important trusts by the people, and has repaid this con-
fidence by faithful and efficient service. For twelve years he served
as commissioner of revenue, and since then has served as clerk
of the circuit court. Mr. Bennett is still a true comrade to the
survivors of the army of Northern Virginia, and maintains a mem-
bership in the Clinton Hatcher camp.

William H. Benson, for many years a resident of Chesterfield
county, and head of a staunch patriotic Confederate family, was
born in Somerset county, Md., February 9, 181 1. He followed the
trade of a merchant tailor a large part of his life, settled in Kins-
ale, Westmoreland county, in 1826, removed to Richmond about
1851, and died March 6, 1887. During the war he resided upon his
farm, three miles from Richmond, and though too old for military
service, aided the Confederate cause in every way that he could.
In latter years he described as the happiest day of his life the occa-
sion when he volunteered to feed the entire command of Gen.
Custis Lee. To furnish this entertainment he found it necessary
to use sverything on his farm which could be quickly converted
into food, of all of which he made a cheerful offering, and after
everything else available was eaten up and the soldiers were about



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 723

to leave he took many of them to his granary and had them fill
their knapsacks with corn. His wife, Martha Fry Redman, was
born in Westmoreland county, December 3, 1817. They were mar-
ried at Point Pleasant, April 4, 1833, and in 1883, at Richmond, they
celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. September 13th fol-
lowing, the wife and mother passed away. These parents reared
eleven children, two of whom, Henry Clay and Charles Edward,
served in the Confederate army, Henry Clay Benson was a mem-
ber of the Ninth Virginia cavalry throughout the war, served as
standard-bearer, was twice wounded in battle, and finally was pa-
roled at Appomattox. He died at Gurley, Ala., January i, 1891.
Charles Edward Benson served in the Otey battery, surrendered at
Appomattox, and died at Richmond, October 7, 1879. Another son
of this family, John Redman Benson, died before the war at the
age of nineteen years, just after completing a course of study at the
Virginia military institute. The youngest and only surviving son,
Thomas Moore Benson, now a prosperous coal merchant of New-
port News, Va., was born at Richmond, November 29, 1854. He
made his home at Newport News in 1883, where he speedily became
successful in business and influential as a citizen. By his marriage,
May 20, 1885, to Annie Louise, daughter of Col. George W. Nelms,
of Newport News, he has four children: George William, Annie



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 72 of 153)