Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 75 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 75 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and brothers, and is an active member of the Hampton camp of
Sons of Confederate Veterans

Hunter R. Booker, a very successful business man of Hampton,
Va., is the sixth and youngest son of Maj. George Booker, and not
the least conspicuous of a notable family. He was born at the
ancestral homestead, near Hampton, March 23, 1858, and his in-
fancy and boyhood days were passed amid the discomforts of refu-
gee life, largely within hearing of the uproar of battle. Shortly be-
fore the war came to an end the family made its way back to Sher-
wood and began to repair the ruin wrought by the military occupa-
tion. Hunter remained there until he was fourteen years of age,
and then went to Baltimore and found employment as fireman in, a
machine shop. Soon afterward, however, he took a position in a
wholesale house in New York and remained there a year. He then
returned to Hampton and, after attending school a few months be-
gan his career as a druggist's clerk with the munificent salary of
$5 per month. He served at this rate for three years and a
half. On February i, 1877, he bought out his employer, on credit,
and speedily manifesting splendid business ability, was able to gain
a good commercial standing in the first year. By strict economy
and intense application to his work, he has since then built up a
thriving business, now embracing, in addition to both wholesale
and retail trade in drugs, a hardware department. He has a fine
home and is comfortably established for life. He was married
October 15, 1887. to Mattie A., daughter of Maj. Samuel R. Chis-
man, formerly chief quartermaster of the army under Gen. J. E.
Johnston. They have two children: Dorothy Whiting and Ann

R. S. Booker, a gallant soldier of Company I, Fifty-sixth Vir-
ginia infantry regiment, enlisted in 1861 and was with his regiment
in its service as a part of Garnett's brigade of Pickett's division,
army of Northern Virginia. J. E. Booker, brother of the above,
was born at Hampden-Sidney, in Prince Edward county, Va., the
son of Frederick A. and Sarah (Johns) Booker. The latter was a
daughter of John ,Claybrook Johns, a cousin of Bishop Johns, and
connected with the Claybrook and Calhoun families of Virginia.
Frederick A. Booker, a merchant, and for many years sheriff of his
county, was the son of Edward Booker, a well-known attorney
who represented his county seven terms in the Virginia legislature,
served in the war of 1812, and was the legal representative of John
Randolph, particularly during the latter's service as minister to
France. George Booker, the father of Edward, held the office of
sheriff many years, and was a soldier of the Revolution. The family
is one of the oldest in America, and is traced back to the Rochettes,
of French-Huguenot lineage. Mr. Booker studied at Hampden-
Sidney college, and during the war viras at Charlotte Court House.


From 1870 to 1876 he served as a commissioner of revenue, and in
1878 he made his home at Suffolk, where a year later he became bus-
iness manager of the Suffolk Herald. Four years afterward he be-
came owner of the paper. He was elected to the house of delegates
in 1893 and served with credit on the finance committee, and as
chairman of the committee on schools and colleges, and also as
chairman of the committee on public buildings. He was re-elected
in 189s and again in 1897. He is prominent in political affairs, is
chairman of the county democracy, and has been delegate to several
State conventions.

Richard M. Boiling, a prominent citizen of Princess Anne county,
was born in Goochland county, March 7, 1841, of a distinguished
Virginia family, and to his honor he added credit by faithful service
with the armv of Northern Virginia. His family was founded in
Virginia by Robert Boiling, son of John and Mary Boiling, of
Boiling hall, near Bradford, Yorkshire. Robert Boiling was born
in the parish of AU-Halloway, Tower street, London, December 26,
1646. He came to Virginia in 1660, at the age of fourteen years.
He was married in 1675 to Jane Rolfe, daughter of Thomas Rolfe,
and granddaughter of the Indian princess, Pocahontas. His
place of residence, near Petersburg, was known as Cobb's planta-
tion, and passed successively to his son, John Boiling, then to the
latter's son, John, then to his son Thomas, and then to William
Boiling. The latter married Mary Randolph, of Curies Neck, a
first cousin of John Randolph of Roanoke, and their son, Thomas,
was the father of the subject of this, mention. Thomas Boiling
was an influential planter of Goochland county and survived until
18^. His wife was Mary Louise, daughter of Richard Morris, a
distinguished attorney of Hanover county. Richard Boiling was
reared in Goochland county and prepared for college at Hanover
academy under Hilary P. Jones; but he abandoned his studies in
the spring of 1861 to enter the service of the Confederate States.
Becoming a private in the Goochland troop of cavalry, he was sta-
tioned at Union Mills, near Manassas, and during the battle of
July 21, 1861, served as a courier for General Ewell. His troop
was made a company of the Fourth Virginia cavalry under Gen.
Beverly H. Robinson, and he served with that command until after
the battle of Williamsburg, when he became sergeant-major of ar-
tillery in Boggs' battalion, and was stationed at Richmond. In
186.3 he was elected second lieutenant of the company of Capt.
A. J. Rogers, which became Company G of the Twenty-fourth Vir-
ginia cavalry, the command with which he served during the re-
mainder of the war. During his service, which terminated at Ap-
pomattox, he was twice wounded. One, a painful wound in the
face, which disabled him for some time, was received at Darbytown,
and the second was a wound in the arm, received near Amelia
Court House. After the close of hostilities he farmed for several
years on Boiling's island, Goochland county, and then embarked
in the profession of civil engineering. While thus engaged he par-
ticipated in the survey of several railroads in Virginia, was for a
time in the employ of the United States rolling stock company at
Urbana, Ohio, and Chicago, and was city engineer at Montgomery,
Ala., from 1887 until 1890. In the latter year he removed to Princess
Anne county and purchased an oyster farm on Lynnhaven bay,
where he now resides. He was married October 24, 1882, to Miss


Anne Montgomery Barksdale, daughter of Robert Barksdale, of
Amelia county, and granddaughter of Judge John Robertson, of
Mount Athos, Va. Two children have been born to them: John
Rolfe, who died in infancy, and Mary Frances Monro, born June

4, 1885.

General Stith Boiling, of Petersburg Va., captain in the Con-
federate service and appointed brigaaier-general by Governor
Walker, in 1870, is a native of Lunenburg county, where he was
born February 28, 1835. His father, a prosperous farmer of that
county, was born in Nottoway county in l8o8 and died in 1888.
His mother, Mary T. Irby, was also a native of Nottoway county.
General Boiling was reared upon the home farm until he reached
the age of nineteen years, and was then engaged in the wholesale
business with his brothers at Richmond until 1861, when he re-
turned to his native county and enlisted as a private in the Lunen-
burg cavalry company. His soldierly qualities were speedily recog-
nized by promotion to orderly-sergeant, then to second lieutenant,
and in 1862 he was elected captain. In this rank he served during
the remainder of the war, commanding Company G, Ninth Vir-
ginia cavalry, W. H. F. Lee's brigade of Stuart's command. Dur-
ing a considerable part of the war he was attached to the staff of
Gen. W. H. F. Lee as acting adjutant-general. He was wounded
six times; first, near Culpeper Court House; second, near Green
House; third, at Morton's Ford, where he was struck on the head
by a cannon ball and left on the field for dead, but was able to
report for duty three months later; fourth, at Guinea's Station,
where he was shot through the thigh; fifth, near Petersburg, and
last at Gaines' Mill. After the war he returned to agricultural
pursuits in Lunenburg county. In 1869 he was elected to the
Virginia house of delegates, and in 1871 he was re-elected. In 1875
he was appointed by Governor Kemper inspector of tobacco, an
o£fice which he held until 1882, meanwhile making his home at
Petersburg, where he has resided since. In the latter part of 1882
he was appointed postmaster at Petersburg by President Arthur,
and this office he had in charge during a term of four and a half
years. In July, 1889, he was appointed a second time to this office
by President Harrison, and in i8g8 was again appointed by Presi-
dent McKinley. General Boiling has been active in the political
arena as a republican, has served four years as a member of the
State executive committee of that party, taken part in the canvasses
of the State, and in 1888 was a candidate for presidential elector.
He is vice-president of the chamber of commerce and president of
the tobacco association, and has rendered valuable service as presi-
dent of the board of public schools. He was married May 9, i860,
to Cornelia Scott-Forrest, of Lunenburg county, and they have
four children, two of whom are living, Mary E. and Cornelia I.
The names of the two children, deceased, were Jessie S. and Stith
Forrest, the latter having just finished a course at college prior to
his death.

James D. Bondurant, of Lynchburg, who experienced long and
arduous service in the army of Northern Virginia, as an artillery-
man, is a native of Bedford county, where he was born in 1846.
On account of his youth he was not received as an enlisted soldier
during the first year of the war, but in April, 1861, he became at-
tached to the Bedford Light Artillery, under Capt. Tyler C. Jor-


dan. This was a hard-fighting organization, distinguished on the
many battlefields of the First corps of the army. As a volunteer
Private Bondurant served until the reorganization in the spring of
1862, when he was regularly mustered in. He subsequently was
promoted gunner, and continued in the service until the end of
the war. Stationed early in the struggle in the vicinity of York-
town, he was in the artillery action at Dam No. i, below that
point, served during the retreat and at the battle of Williamsburg,
and shared the work of his battery through the Seven Days' bat-
tles, and at Second Manassas. During the Maryland campaign he
took part in the defense of the South Mountain passes, and shared
the important service of the artillery battalion of Gen. S. D. Lee at
Sharpsburg. Subsequently he served in the battles of Fredericks-
burg and Chancellorsville, and the three days' fighting at Gettys-
burg, after which he went with Longstreet to the assistance of
General Bragg, taking part in the battles of Chickamauga, Look-
out Mountain, Missionary Ridge and the Knoxville campaign, in
which there were a large number of encounters with the enemy.
Returning to Virginia, he participated in the Wilderness and Spott-
sylvania campaigns and the Shenandoah Valley campaign under
Early, and during the following winter served on the Hewlett
house line before Richmond. A few days before the surrender he
was sent to Bedford county to secure horses and forage for his
company, and while upon this duty the end came. Mr. Bondurant's
service, thus briefly outlined, was brave and self-sacrificing and he
did not escape serious injury from the storms of shot and shell to
which he was so frequently exposed. He was slightly wounded,
first at Manassas, and a second time in the battle of the Wilderness.
After the war he remained in Bedford county several years and
learned the trade of carpentry, which he followed at Lexington
and Baltimore, and, since 1872, at Lynchburg, where he is now
prominent in the contracting and building trade. He is a member
of the Masonic chapter and commandery, and is steward of the
Memorial Methodist church. In 1872 he was married to Alice,
daughter of the late Berr}- Hughes, of Campbell county.

Thomas R. Borland, of Norfolk, now prominent among the at-
torneys of eastern Virginia, served throughout the entire war in
the army of Northern Virginia, and surrendered at Appomattox
when he was just past his twenty-first birthday. He was born at
Murfreesboro, N. C, March 3, 1844, the son of Roscius C. Borland,
who was born in Nansemond county, Va., in 1807, and removed to
North Carolina, where he married Tempe, daughter of David Ram-
say, a planter of Scotch descent, and made his home in that State.
He was a promising lawyer and a member of the North Carolina
legislature at twenty-one years of age, but his career was cut short
by death when he had reached the age of thiity-five years, his wife
having passed away tw6 yeais previous. The grandfather of Mr.
Borland, Dr. Thomas Wood Borland, came from Scotland with his
father to America prior to the year 1800, became a surgeon in the
United States navy, under commission from President Thomas
Jefferson, and afterward was for a considerable period presiding
magistrate of Nansemond county and representative in the Virginia
legislature. _ Thomas R. Borland, left an orphan in infancy, was
taken by his uncle, Dr. Euclid Borland, who when the lad had
reached the age of eleven years, entered him at school at Bolmar



West Chester, Pa., where he remained four years, subsequently at-
tending the Bloomfield academy, in Albemarle county, Va. In
April, 1861, though but seventeen years of age, he enlisted as a
private in Company K of the Ninth Virginia infantry, with which
command he served throughout the entire war. During the first
year of his service he was engaged at Pinner's Point, in Norfolk
harbor, and during the following years of struggle he took part in
many engagements, among the most important of which were the
battle of Seven Pines, the fighting on the York River railroad,
Malvern Hill, Gettysburg, Warrenton Springs, the siege of Suffolk,
Five Forks and Sailor's Creek. As a member of the division of
General Pickett he participated in the historic charge upon Ceme-
tery hill, on the third day at Gettysburg, and received a wound in
the shoulder on that occasion. At Appomattox he was present and
capitulated with the remnant of the army. Then, at the age of
twenty-one years, with such a momentous experience behind him
and all of the career of manhood in the future, he determined to
take up the profession of law. With this end in view he entered
the law department of the university of Virginia, becoming a mem-
ber of a class of eighty students, about half of whom were Confed-
erate soldiers, and about two-thirds of whom have since held posi-
tions of more or less importance in the service of State or nation.
In this famous class were Senators John W. Daniel, of Virginia,
and Charles J. Faulkner, of West Virginia. After his graduation
in 1867, Mr. Borland traveled abroad two years, visiting England,
France and Switzerland, and then, in 1869, made his home at Nor-
folk, and entered upon the practice of the law. In the same year
he was elected city attorney and two years later was chosen to rep-
resent the county in the house of delegates. Beginning in 1878
he was four times elected commonwealth's attorney at Norfolk,
holding the office most satisfactorily to the public for a period of
eight years. In the political movement led by Gen. William Ma-
hone he was an earnest participant and in May, 1869, he was ap-
pointed by President Harrison to the office of United States dis-
trict attorney for the eastern district of Virginia, holding that posi-
tion until his resignation in i8m. In 1892 he was the unsuccessful
candidate of his party for Congress from the Norfolk district.
Mr. Borland was married in 1871 to Mary L. Camp, who died in
1878 leaving two children, of whom one survives. In 1879 he was
wedded to Miss Carrie Barney, of Richmond. They have three
children living.

Captain James N. Bosang, of Pulaski City, during the years
1862-63 commander of the famous "Pulaski Guards" in the Stone-
wall brigade, was born in the county of which he is now a resident.
May 2, 1836. He became a member of the Guards in 1839, the or-
ganization having been made at the time of the raid on Harper's
Ferry by John Brown; and on April 17, 1861, he went into active
service with his company, which then had for its commissioned of-
ficers, James A. Walker, later brigadier-general, captain; R. D.
Gardner, first lieutenant, and T. J. Boyd, second lieutenant. The
company was called to Richmond and was there detailed for some
time in the duty of drilling new companies, after which it moved
to Harper's Ferry and was assigned as Company C to the Fourth
Virginia infantry. At the first battle of Manassas the regiment was
distinguished and received the special praise of General Jackson

Va 47


for its gallantry in attacking the enemy. Here Sergeant Bosang
shared the perils of his company, which lost twenty-one men out
of sixty-one engaged, and was promoted first sergeant for his
meritorious conduct. In the following spring he became first lieu-
tenant, and soon after this promotion was made captain of the
company, the former commander rising to the rank of lieutenant-
colonel. He fought under Jackson in the campaigns in the valley
of the Shenandoah, the Seven Days before Richmond, Second
Manassas, Harper's Ferry and Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg and
Chancellorsville, and after the death of his general shared the ser-
vice of Johnson's division through the Gettysburg campaign and
the battle of the Wilderness until he was captured in the disaster
that befell the command at Spottsylvania Court House. He fell upon
this field, wounded in the groin, and was taken to the hospital at
Washington, then to the Old Capitol prison and from there to
Fort Delaware, where he was one of three hundred who refused to
take the oath as long as any of their comrades were still in the
field. On this account he was compelled to endure the hardships
of prison life until July 25, 1865, over fourteen months after his
capture. Two brothers of Captain Bosang served in the same com-
pany with hiln: John A., who became a lieutenant and was killed at
Spottsylvania; and Henry, who was first wounded at Second Ma-
nassas, afterward became major commanding a battalion, was
wounded a second time during Averell's raid in southwest Vir-
ginia, and died from his wounds after the war, while in California.
Captain Bosang has been a resident of Pulaski City since the return
of peace. In 1893 his patriotic service and estimable qualities as a
citizen were rewarded by election to the office of clerk of the county
and circuit courts. By his marriage to Mary F. Cecil he has seven
children: Jessie N., N. L., Viola M., Callie F., Ella N., Maggie
L., James G.

Evan J. Bosher, of Richmond, an honored veteran of the Second
Richmond howitzers, is a native of that city, born in September,
1845. In March, 1863, at the age of seventeen years, he enlisted as
a private in the Second Richmond howitzers, and from that date
until the close of the war shared gallantly in the conspicuous action
of that command. In the list of battles in which he participated are
the famous names of Chancellorsville, Winchester, Gettysburg,
Mine Run, Spottsylvania, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Berry-
ville. Cedar Creek, the defense of Petersburg, Sailor's Creek and
Appomattox. Joining in the surrender of the army of Northern
Virginia, he received his parole and returned to Richmond, where
he embarked in civil life at the age of twenty-one years. During
the period that has elapsed since the dark day at Appomattox he
has achieved prominent citizenship in his native city and is now
prosperous and busy as a manufacturer. In 1868 he took a leading
part in the reorganization of the Richmond Howitzers, and since
then has served in all the ranks of the association, in 1880 being
elected to the position of captain.

Robert S. Bosher, one of the most prominent business men of
Richmond, Va., widely known in the South and throughout the
whole country, was born at that city in 1843. He entered the ser-
vice of the Confederate States in May, 1861, as a member "of the
Second company of Richmond howitzers, an organization of artil-
lery that was famous in the army of Northern Virginia and did un-


excelled service throughout the war. The howitzer battery was
first under the command of Maj. George W. Randolph, at a later
date secretary of war, served at the battle of Big Bethel, and in the
latter part of April had 225 drilled men. Increased in numbers of
men and guns, the battery was divided into three companies, and
the Second, at first under command of Captain Hudnall, after the
Peninsula campaign came under the leadership of Capt. David
Watson. Subsequently Watson's battery; the Third howitzers, un-
der Capt. B. H. Smith; the Powhatan artillery, Capt. W. J. Dance;
the Rockbridge artillery, Capt. A. Graham; and the Salem artil-
lery, Capt. A. Hupp (later Capt. C. B. Griffin), formed the First
regiment Virginia light artillery. The Second howitzers served
under the command of Col. J. Thompson Brown in the Maryland
campaign, and a section aided Gen. J. E. B. Stuart in a demonstra-
tion at Williamsport, covering the crossing of Lee's army after the
battle of Sharpsburg. At Fredericksburg the Second howitzers
served under the command of the gallant John Pelhani, repelling
the dangerous advance of the enemy in the vicinity of Hamilton's
crossing. This battery, as well as the others, was admirably man-
aged and bravely fought. It went into action after marching all the
previous night, and coming upon a field strewn with the wrecks
of other batteries, behaved in a manner that elicited the praise of
observer,S. The First artillery regiment rendered important service
in the battle of Chancellorsville, where, after Colonel Crutchfield
was wounded. Colonel Brown took command of the artillery of
Jackson's corps. The regiment was under the command of Cap-
tains Watson and Dance. The fame which the First regiment aijd
the Second howitzers had by this time obtained, was fully sustained
by their effective service on the field of Gettysburg. Taking posi-
tion on the ridge near the Lutheran cemetery on the second day,
they became at once engaged; and on the third day they fought on
the right of the Fairfield road. Colonel Brown reported, "the
First Virgrinia artillery and a portion of Carter's and Nelson's bat-
talions engaged the enemy's batteries in order to divert their fire
from our infantry advancing from the right. This fire was well
directed and its effect very noticeable." Subsequently when the
army was withdrawn to the Hagerstown line, and the larger part of
it had moved thence to cross the Potomac, an advance of tne en-
emy was so firmly and gallantly met by Ramseur's men and the
Second Richmond howitzers, so General Rodes reported, that the
Federals fell back with a loss of many killed and wounded. During
the campaign of 1864 the regiment was known as Hardaway's bat-
telion. Col. J. T. Brown was in command of this battalion,
Nelson's and Braxton's. On the loth of May, after going through
the Wilderness fight, the batterjr did very effective service at Spott-
sylvania Court House, and Major Watson was mortally wounded.
On the I2th, where the battery did much to save the battle lines,
Colonel Hardaway was wounded and Captain Dance took com-
mand of the battalion. Throughout the subsequent campaign,
which ended with the Federal army crossing the James river, ana
all through the siege of Richmond and the final Appomattox cam-
paign, the Second howitzers were distinguished for faithful and ef-
fective service. Robert S. Bosher, beginning his service with this
gallant battery as a private, shared all of its battles, and at the time
of the surrender at Appomattox held the rank of sergeant. Since


the war he has devoted himself to business pursuits, achieving
great success, and is now one of the leading citizens of Richmond.
Captain John Clinton Boude was born in Frederick county, Va.,
N&vember 23, 1833, and came of an ancestry distinguished for mil-
itary spirit. His father, Rudolph Thomas Clarkson Boude, served
iU' the war of 1812 as a member of the Baltimore light infantry
Blues, Thirty-third regiment, Maryland volunteers; his grand-
father, Joseph Boude, served in the Revolutionary war, in which

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 75 of 153)