Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 76 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 76 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


conflict the latter's brother, Thomas, earned the rank of major in
Anthony Wayne's Pennsylvania regiment, and was promoted for
g^lantry at Stony Point. The family, of French origin, resided at
Baltimore, from which place the father of Captain Boude removed
to Virginia after the war of 1812, married Elizabeth Ewing and
became the father of eight children. John Clinton Boude, the
sixth of these children, was reared in the lower valley, but in i8ss
made his home at Lexington. Watching the tide of events with
intelligent scrutiny, he saw long before the war broke out that the
drift of politics was inevitably in that direction, and his expression
of this conviction led to his being called an "original secessionist."
Thou^ unconnected with the institution of slavery, and as a mat-
ter of principle opposed to it, yet he fully believed in the righteous-
ness of the cause of the South, and during the excitement attend-
ing the John Brown invasion, gave expression, on the Rockbridge
fair ground, to perhaps the first secession sentiment uttered in the
State. It made the blood run cold in the veins of those who heard
it, but the rapid progress of events soon justified his prophetic
power. The Rockbridge Rifles was presently organized, of which
he became sergeant, and when the State seceded his company was
among the first mustered into active service. The company was
assigned temporarily to the Fourth and Fifth regiments and fin-
ally to the Twenty-seventh regiment of infantry, forming part of
the famous "Stonewall" brigade. He participated in every cam-
paign and battle of "Stonewall" Jackson, except the battle of
Kernstown, he then being absent on recruiting service, and early
in 1862 his gallantry earned promotion to the captaincy of his com-
pany. He received a slight wound in the wrist at the second battle
of Manassas and at the battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863, he
was struck by a minie ball which shattered his knee joint and ne-
cessitated the amputation of his leg. As soon as he could wear an
artificial leg he was appointed enrolling oflficer for Rockbridge
county, a position he held until the close of the war. Faithful and
true in the performance of duty and patient in suffering, he won
the admiration of all, which was expressed by his election in 1864
to the clerkship of the circuit court and his continuous re-election
during a period of thirty-two years — the remainder of his life. Hav-
ing graduated in the law school of Washington and Lee university,
he was a good lawyer and discharged his official duties with re-
markable efficiency. Notwithstanding his crippled condition, his
strong constitution and indomitable will were such that he was
public spirited in a high degree and accomplished remarkable un-
dertakings in civil life. For many years he served upon the city
council and school board, was secretary of the Jackson memorial
association and commander of Lee-Jackson camp. Confederate Vet-
erans; was master of Mountain City lodge, F. & A. M., for fifteen
years, and at his death was its last surviving charter member. He



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 745

was district deputy grand master for about twenty years and a
regular attendant at the sessions of the grand lodge; was prominent
in the Royal Arch chapter and the Knights Templar and was
active in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was a firm
believer in the Christian religion, and in early manhood became a
member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. He was married
June 9, 187s, to Dora A., daughter of James and Margaret Mc-
MuUin Plunkett. Her father was a soldier of the war of 1812, and
at the time of his death, in 1865, was the oldest native of Lexington.
Her brother, Robert W. Plunkett, served in the Forty-second Vir-
ginia regiment in the Confederate war until disabled by a wound.
Mrs. Boude still resides at the Lexington home where Captain
Boude died, May 28, 1896. He passed away suddenly, with no spe-
cial disease, but from the effects of his Confederate service, and
was laid to rest by his comrades and Masonic brethren, in a spot
he had selected years before, on Memorial day, with a Confederate
flag waving over his final resting place.

Captain E. E. Bouldin, of Danville, Va., was born in Charlotte
county, March 31, 1838, the son of Hon. James W. Bouldin, whose
wife was Almeria, daughter of Rev. Clement R. Read, one of the
first trustees of the old Hampden-Sidney college. James W. Boul-
din, a lawyer of distinction, served for several terms in the United
States Congress as the successor of his brother, Thomas Tyler
Bouldin, who succeeded John Randolph in Congress and died
suddenly while addressing that body in 1834. The grandfather of
Captain Bouldin was Wood Bouldin, who married Joanna, sister
of Gov. John Tyler, and aunt of President Tyler. The family
is an old one in America, this branch being descended from Col.
Thomas Bouldin, who built the second frame house in Charlotte
county, about 174S. Captain Bouldin was educated at the univer-
sity of Virginia, and after admission to the bar entered upon the
practice of law in Goliad, Tex., early in i860. In April he served
under General Van Dorn in the capture of the Federal troops that
were about to leave Texas for the North, and immediately there-
after he returned to Virginia and enlisted as a private in the. Char-
lotte cavalry. With this troop he served in the Laurel Hill and
Rich Mountain campaign, and soon afterward was promoted first
lieutenant. In the following spring he was elected captain of the
company — the rank in which he served during the remainder of the
war. The company participated in the Kanawha valley campaign
in the battalion of Major Jackson, and later became Company B of
the Fourteenth Virginia cavalry regiment. Col. James Cochrane.
This regiment was part of Jenkins' brigade, the advance guard of
Lee's army in the Pennsylvania campaign, and Captain Bouldin,
with a squadron of cavalry, was the first to enter Chambersburg.
On July 3, 1863, he commanded his regiment in the famous cavalry
fight between Stuart and Gregg on the Federal right, in which half
of the Fourteenth who were engaged were killed or wounded, and
he was struck and painfully hurt by a spent ball. He was actively
engaged in protecting the Confederate trains on the retreat, and
at the Potomac river his arm was broken by the explosion of a
shell which killed several of his men. After his recovery he com-
manded the extreme rear guard of General McCausland's command
in the movement from Covington to Lynchburg before Hunter,
also the rear guard in the Chambersburg raid of 1864, and on the



746 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

return from that expedition he was captured at Moorefield. He
was imprisoned for eight months at Camp Chase, and was then ex-
changed and assumed command as senior captain of the Fourteenth
regiment. In that capacity he took part in the battle of Five Forks
and the fighting on the retreat to Appomattox. On the night of
April 8, 1865, being on the right of Lee's army, he was ordered by
W. H. F. Lee to capture a battery of the enemy just in front of his
position, which was gallantly accomplished and the guns turned
on the enemy. In this charge, James Wilson of Rockbridge county,
color-bearer of the Fourteenth regiment, was killed, and the latter
is believed to have been the last man of the army of Northern
Virginia killed in battle. On returning from this charge Captain
Bouldin was informed that the army was about to be surrendered
and was given the option of cutting his way out or surrendering.
All his men declared for the former alternative, and they rode out
across the James river and to the Peaks of Otter, where Captain
Bouldin sent home all the men not from his own county and then
led the latter to Charlotte county, and a few weeks later had his
command paroled at Farmville. Since August of that memorable
year Captain Bouldin has been engaged in the practice of law, with
much success, at Danville. Since the surrender he has not per-
mitted his name to be used in connection with political office. He
was one of the Confederate officers who located the lines of the
cavalry fight at Gettysburg, which are now appropriately marked
by monuments. In 1871 he was married to Lucy L. Edmonds, and
they have seven children living: James W., Bessie E., wife of
Julian Meade; Joseph N., Alma K., Lucy L., Fannie H., and
Hattie.

Aubin L. Boulware, prominently associated with the financial af-
fairs of the Virginia capital, was born in King and Queen county,
December 27, 1843. He resided in his native county until he reached
early manhood. In his nineteenth year, in July, 1862, he became a
member of Company H of the Ninth Virginia cavalry regiment and
with this gallant command he served as a private uiitil the close of
the war. He shared with honor in the operations of the cavalry
brigade of Gen. W. H. F. Lee, under the command of the famous
J. E. B. Stuart, and after the death of the latter general in the
division of Gen. W. H. F. Lee. His record of service in the Con-
federate cause embraces participation in the battles of Sharpsburg,
Fredericksburg, Chancellors vi He, Miller's Mill, Brandy Station,
Catlett Station, six days' fighting at Upperville, the struggle in the
Wilderness and at Spottsylvania, Reams' Station, Five Forks, and
the fighting on the retreat from Richmond, including Sailor's
Creek. He was wounded in the aflfair at Miller's creek, and again
at Five Forks. At the close of this arduous and devoted career in
the army of Northern Virginia, Mr. Boulware returned to civil life,
entered the university of Virginia, from which he received the de-
gree of master of arts, taught school for a year or two, meanwhile
prepariuK himself for the practice of law, which he began at Rich-
mond. During the subsequent years of his life he attained promi-
nence as a lawyer, banker and business man, and gained an influ-
ential position in the city which his worth and probity richly de-
served. He was a true comrade to the survivors of the army and
maintained a membership in the R. E. Lee camp of Confederate
Veterans until he departed this life, June 12, 1897.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 747

N. R. Bowman, of Lynchburg, well remembered by his com-
rades as a faithful soldier of the Confederate States, was born in
Botetourt county in 1837. He was reared in Prince Edward and
Charlotte counties until 1855, when he made his home at Lynch-
burg. He entered the service in the spring of 1862 as orderly-ser-
geant of a company of artillery, organized at Lynchburg, and with
this command was assigned to the artillery battalion of Col. T. S.
Rhett, for service in the defense of Richmond. His health was
delicate, and in about four months it gave way to such an extent
that he was unable longer to perform his duties with the battery.
He was then detailed by Colonel Rhett for duty in the ordnance
bureau, but his increasing disability compelled him to go home a
few months later. In 1864, having somewhat recovered his health,
he volunteered as a private in Company B of the Second Virginia
cavalry, of General Munford's division, with which he served until
the close of the war. While with the Second cavalry he partici-
pated in the battle of Cedar Creek and the skirmishes which ac-
companied the retreat from the valley of the Shenandoah. Since
the close of hostilities Sergeant Bowman has been engaged in bus-
iness at Lynchburg, where he is highly regarded by his former
comrades and the community generally. He has served in the city
council, and in various ways honorably discharged those duties of
good citizenship becoming a Confederate veteran.

Richard Simon Boykin, a prominent citizen of Suflfolk, Va., was
born in Southampton county, May I, 1846, the son of Maj. John
Boykin, also a native of that county, where the family has resided
for many years. His ancestor, William Boykin, came from Eng-
land in 1634 and settled on a large estate granted him in the county
of Isle of Wight, which then comprised the territory of Southamp-
ton county, in which part of the Boykin estate lies. Maj. John
Boykin had two or three farms in Virginia and one near Holly
Springs, Miss., and led the life of a planter until his death in 1857.
His wife, the mother of R. S. Boykin, was Caroline, daughter of
Col. Richard Kello, whose father, William Kello, came to Vir-
ginia from England. She died in 1868. Mr. Boykin, in his youth,
was educated in the schools of Berlin, Southampton county, and
in Nansemond and Caroline counties and spent two years at Har-
rison's school, a famous institution in Amelia county. On leaving
this school it was with the intention of entering the university of
Virginia, but the war was making such demands then upon the
strength of the State, that as a loyal citizen, though but a boy of
seventeen years, he enlisted in the Confederate service early in
1864, as a private in Company A of the Eighteenth Virginia bat-
talion of artillery. His gallantry as a soldier earned him promo-
tion to the rank of lieutenant, but he never received his commis-
sion on account of the speedy close of the war. He participated
in the battle of Sailor's Creek and was among the captured, and
on July 6, 1865, was paroled and released. Five members of his
family being engaged in the medical profession, he took up the
study of medicine with his uncle. Dr. Samuel B. Kello, but soon
abandoned the study and began reading law under Judge George
T. Bartlett, of Georgia, his cousin. On completing his studies he
was admitted to the bar, and then, on account of his mother's ill-
ness, he returned to Virginia, and after her death, which soon fol-
lowed, he took charge of the estate. The assumption of these



748 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

duties led to his abandoning a professional career, and he remained
on the homestead, leading the life of a planter until 1892. He
then removed to Suffolk and embarked in the insurance business,
in which he has met with marked success. During his life he has
been honored by being called upon for public services, being
elected at the age of twenty-one to the position of magistrate,
which he was soon compelled to resign on account of poor health,
caused by his confinement as a prisoner of war. For a number
of years he was a member of the executive committee of the Dem-
ocratic party of Southampton county, and in 1888 he was elected
a member of the State legislature, in which position he served
two years. During both terms of the presidency of Mr. Cleveland
he served as deputy collector of i-nternal revenue, in charge of the
Norfolk division. During his residence in Southampton county
he was for a short time one of the owners and editors of the Peters-
burg Mail. Mr. Boykin is still a true comrade of the Confederate
soldiery, and is a member of Tom Smith camp, of Suffolk, of the
United Confederate Veterans. He was married in 1872 to Miss
Nannie Urquhart, of Southampton county, who died in 1881, leav-
ing four children. On April 6, 1887, he wedded Miss Susie Pret-
low, of Surry county, and three children have been born to them.

Andrew J. Bradfield, of Leesburg, one of the surviving original
members of the Loudoun Guards, was born in Loudoun county in
1836. At the age of sixteen years he was honored by appointment
as deputy clerk in the office of the clerk of courts in Clarke county.
In 1858 he returned to Loudoun county and had charge of the clerk's
office of the circuit court of said county until the outbreak of the
war. He was then among the first to offpr their services to the
defense of the State, and becoming one of the original members
of the Loudoun Guards, was elected to the rank of sergeant. He
was mustered into the service of the State in this rank and served
throughout the entire war in the army of Northern Virginia.
Early in the conflict he fought in the ranks at Blackburn's Ford,
and at the Manassas battle of July 21, 1861. Subsequently, on ac-
count of failing health, which made it impossible to sustain the
fatigues of active service, he was assigned to duty in the commis-
sary department, in which his services were rendered during the
remainder of the war of the Confederacy. He surrendered with the
army at Appomattox and then returned to Leesburg, where he
was soon afterward appointed deputy clerk. Subsequently by ap-
pointment and by election he held the office of clerk until 1870,
when he declined to qualify, though re-elected, and engaged in
the banking business, which has been his occupation smce that
date. He is one of the prominent and influential men of the city
and highly esteemed by the community. He is a warm friend of
the ex-Confederate soldiers and maintains a membership in Clin-
ton-Hatcher camp. United Confederate Veterans.

William Henry Bramblitt, M. D., a prominent physician and cit-
izen of Pulaski City, Va., who in earlier life gave four years' ser-
vice to the Confederate cause, was born in Bedford City, January
29, 1829. He was reared from infancy near New London, Camp-
bell county, and was educated for the profession of medicine, being
graduated in l8s7 by the university of New York. Soon after he
had entered upon the duties of his profession the crisis of 1861 ar-
rived and he entered enthusiastically into the military preparation



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 749

for the defense of his native State. Early in 1861 he organized a
company of cavalry in Grayson county, where he vi^as then engaged
in practice, of which he was elected captain. This company, known
as the Grayson Cavalry, Col. W. H. Jenifer commanding, served
under Gens. John B. Floyd and Henry Heth in southwest Virginia
and the Kanawha valley of West Virginia during 1861, and during
this period he commanded his company with efficiency and gal-
lantry. At the close of the first year's service he was transferred
to the medical department, commissioned surgeon, and assigned
to the Sixty-third Virginia infantry regiment. With this com-
mand he served in the army of the Kanawha, and in the South-
west Virginia and East Tennessee campaigns of 1863, and was
with the regiment in Buckner's corps of the army of Tennessee
during the battle of Chickamauga. Subsequently he was on hos-
pital duty at Forsyth, Ga., and at the Floyd House hospital,
Macon, until the close of the war. He was captured by the enemy
at the fall of Macon, April 20, 1865. While in the military service
and since then he has been distinguished for his success in some
of the most difficult and dangerous of surgical operations. After
the close of hostilities he resumed the practice of his profession at
Newbern, Pulaski county, Va., and in 1884 he removed to his pres-
ent home at Pulaski City, where he is engaged actively in his
profession.

Major Thomas A. Brander, of Richmond, distinguished as an
artillery officer of the Confederate States army, was born in that
city December 12, 1839. In his youth he engaged in mercantile
employment and was so occupied when the troops of Virginia
were called out to repel the threatened invasion. As a private he
had served with Company F, First Virginia regiment, at Harper's
Ferry and Charlestown, during the John Brown affair, and in the
same station he entered the service in 1861. He was at once pro-
moted second lieutenant of Company A, Twentieth regiment, Vir-
ginia volunteers. With this command he participated in the cam-
paign in West Virginia, fighting at Rich Mountain July 11, 1861.
On his return from this campaign he was promoted to a cap-
taincy in the provisional army^ and in the fall and winter of that
year he assisted in the organization and equipment of Letcher's
battery, an artillery command of six guns, of which he was ap-
pointed junior first lieutenant. In this rank he served until after
the battle of Chancellorsville, when his bravery and efficiency were
recognized by promotion on the field to captain of the battery.
He retained this command until January, 1865, when he was pro-
moted major of artillery and assigned to the battalion of Col.
William T. Poague, with whom he served until Appomattox.
Among the battles in which he participated, the most notable are
Rich Mountain, Mechanicsville, Malvern Hill, the three days' fight
at Chancellorsville, the engagement at Fredericksburg in 1^2,
when he was badly wounded. Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg, Spott-
sylvania Court House, all the fighting on the Petersburg line dur-
ing the siege, and the two battles at Reams' Station. When he
had done his whole duty as an intrepid and devoted soldier, he
returned to Richmond at the close of the struggle and embarked
in business, giving his attention mainly to insurance agencies. He
is universally popular as a gentleman and a business man, and is
influential in many directions for the good of the community. He



750 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

has served as alderman of Richmond, and during the first admin-
istration of President Cleveland held an office with the collector
of customs at that city. A warm supporter of the various Con-
federate organizations, he has been honored by his comrades with
conspicuous position. He is past commander of R. E. Lee camp.
No. I, United Confederate Veterans, and past commander of the
grand camp of the State. This later important position, with the
rank of major-general, he held during the years of 1894, 189S,
1896 and 1897. He is also prominent in the maintenance of that
noble institution, the Soldiers' Home, of which he is vice-president
and chairman of the executive committee.

Colonel Carter M. Braxton, distinguished as an artillery officer
of the army of Northern Virginia, was born at Norfolk, Va., Sep-
tember s, 1836. His father, Carter M. Braxton, was a prominent
lawyer in southeastern Virginia, and served as a captain in the
war of 1812. The latter's father, who bore the same name, was the
son of Carter Braxton, a well-remembered patriot of colonial days,
and one of the signers of the declaration of independence. The
maiden name of Colonel Braxton's mother was Elizabeth Mayo.
When he was two years of age his parents removed to King and
Queen county, where, and in the cities of Richmond and Fred-
ericksburg, he passed his childhood and youth. He was educated
at the Hanover academy at Fredericksburg, and was prepared for
the profession of civil engineering, of which he began the practice
in 1853. In this line of work, to which his life was chiefly devoted,
he early showed remarkable talent, and was intrusted with re-
sponsible positions, being chief engineer of the Fredericksburg
& Gordonsville railroad at the outbreak of the war in 1861. In
April of that year he promptly resigned his civil employment to
serve the State, and accepted a commission as captain of engineers
in the Virginia army. In this capacity he was assigned to duty on
the Potomac defenses under Col. Thomas Williamson, but soon
afterward was made captain of the Fredericksburg Light Artillery,
in which he had served as lieutenant previous to the war. This
soon became famous as Braxton's battery, and was distinguished
for the brave and steady performance of duty throughout the four
years' struggle. It served on the Potomac previous to the Penin-
sular campaign, and in the latter contest fought from Mechanics-
ville to Frayser's Farm, with the division of A. P. Hill. General
Archer reported that "Capt. Carter M. Braxton, with his Freder-
icksburg battery, seconded by Lieutenant Marye, tendered effi-
cient service at Mechanicsville and Gaines' Mill, and displayed re-
markable skill and gallantry," and General Hill, in reviewing the
whole campaign, gave him especial mention for conspicuous gal-
lantry. Subsequently Captain Braxton was identified with the
campaigns and battles of Hill's division, and after the latter's pro-
motion, with the Second army corps, under Hill and Ewell and
Gordon, until the fateful 9th of April, 1865. With his division
he took part in the fights at Slaughter's Mountain, Chantilly,
Groveton, Second Manassas, the investment of Harper's Ferry,
during which he shelled the Federal works from Bolivar heights,
and at Sharpsburg he acted temporarily as chief of artillery during
the disability of Colonel Walker. At Fredericksburg, General
Hill reported that "though sick he appeared on the field and fought
his guns." After this battle, being promoted major, he was second



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 751

in command of Lieut.-Col. T. H. Carter's battalion on the fields
of Chancellorsville, Winchester and Gettysburg. At Chancellors-
ville he took part in Jackson's flank movement, and on the second
day, in command of several batteries pushed forward gallantly



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 76 of 153)