Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 80 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 80 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

his regiment in Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's Seventh army corps.

Captain Francis E. Buford, a veteran of the heavy artillery serv-
ice, was born in Brunswick county, Va., November 17, 1836, the
son of William P. Buford, for many years sheriff of that county,
and grandson of Abraham Buford, a native of Lunenburg county,
who held the rank of captain during the war of 1812. He was edu-
cated at William and Mary college and studied law at the univer-
sity of Virginia. In December, 1857, he was admitted to the bar
and began the practice of his profession. He entered the service
of the Confederate States in February, 1862, as captain of Company
E, Third Virginia regiment, heavy artillery, stationed at Richmond
for the defense of the Confederate capital. This company he had
organized, and he continued on duty until disabled by a malady
which carried off twenty-nine of his company in less than thirty
days. From the effects of the disease Captain Buford never com-
pletely recovered, and being unfitted for active duty, he took
charge of the enrolling work for Brunswick county and served in
that capacity until the war came to an end. In 1865 he was elected
commonwealth attorney for his county, and after fifteen years'
service in that oflSce he was elected judge of the county court. He
discharged the duties of this honorable position with much dig-
nity and impartiality until 1892, when he retired from the bench
and from the practice of law. In the latter he has been succeeded
by his son, Edward P. Buford, who was admitted to the bar in
1889, and is now commonwealth attorney and member of the State
legislature. During the past few years Captain Buford has ably
edited the Brunswick Gazette.

Thomas P. Buford, a Mississippian by rearing, education and
military service, was born in Maury county, Tenn., in 1833, and is
now a resident of Roanoke, Va., where he enjoys that esteem which
is due a brave Confederate soldier, and holds the rank of past com-
mander of William Watts camp. United Confederate Veterans. He
is of an old Virginia family, long residents of Lunenburg county,
where his great-grandfather, Warren Buford, was born. His
grandfather, Philemon Buford, born in 1765, died about 1849. His
father, Goodloe W. Buford, also a native of Lunenburg county,
removed to Tennessee, where Thomas P. was born, and thence,
during the latter's infancy, to La Fayette county. Miss. Here the
father died in 1887 in his ninety-fourth year. In 1854 Thomas P.
Buford was graduated at the university of Mississippi, at Oxford,
and then engaged in planting in La Fayette county until the in-
vasion of the South. In April, 1861, he enlisted as a private in
Company G of the Eleventh Mississippi infantry regiment, with
which he served until disabled by wounds near the close of the
war, holding the position of corporal after his first year's service.
Prominent among the battles in which he participated were the
engagement at Seven Pines, the fighting about Suffolk, Va., Mine
Run, the Wilderness, and the struggle about Petersburg during
Grant's siege. At Seven Pines he was slightly wounded in the
left knee. After the Suffolk campaign he was disabled by sickness
for six months and at the Wilderness he was so seriously wounded


in the left thigh as to be incapacitated for half a year. In the
trenches before Petersburg he was again wounded in the left leg,
which disabled him until June, 1865. Returning to his home in
Mississippi he resumed his occupation as a planter, but in 1873, on
account of ill health, he removed to Roanoke, Va. There he was
married, January 12, 1876, to Martha J., daughter of the late
Capt. R. B. Moorman, of the Virginia cavalry. They have five
children, Anna G., Loulie M., Warren B., Ernestine E. and John
M. Mr. Buford had three brothers in the Confederate service:
Hampden A., now residing in La Fayette county. Miss., who served
throughout the entire war as a private in the Thirtieth Mississippi
infantry, except during an imprisonment at Rock Island, 111., fol-
lowing the battle of Chickamauga, where he was wounded and
captured; John E., who was killed December 30, 1862^ at the age
of twenty-eight years, at the battle of Murfreesboro; Goodloe W.,
now living in Mississippi, who served in the Eleventh Mississippi
from April, 1861, until disabled by wounds received during the
siege of Petersburg, he having previously been wounded at the

Sergeant Alphonzo M. Bullock, United States shipping commis-
sioner at Norfolk, Va., was born in that city March 23, 1839. He
was there reared and educated and then apprenticed to the ship-
builder's trade, which was his occupation at the outbreak of the
war. Being thoroughly in sympathy with the Confederacy, he
enlisted in 1861 as a member of the United Artillery of Norfolk,
under the command of Capt. Thomas Kevill, and as a member of
that celebrated organization, rendered valuable service throughout
the succeeding four years of i, conflict. The record of the command
is described in the biography of its captain. It may be said here
of Sergeant Bullock that he was never a laggard in duty, but par-
ticipated on many occasions with great gallantry in the actions of
his battery. He took part in the capture of the magazine and the
planting of batteries at Fort Norfolk, served on the Central rail-
road during the Peninsular campaign, and during the prolonged
assignment of the battery opposite Dutch Gap was distinguished
for faithful and gallant service. At the close of the war he held the
rank of second sergeant in his command, his brother, John T.
Bullock, being first sergeant. After he had given his parole at
Appomattox he returned to Norfolk and embarked in the shipping
business, in which he gained such rank and reputation as to make
highly appropriate his appointment in 1876 to the position of ship-
ping commissioner, which he has since held. Through his connec-
tion with this great industry of the city he has contributed in a
considerable degree toward the splendid development of Norfolk
sinre the war.

Joseph A. A. Bullock, born at Norfolk, Va., March 23, 1837, has
since the war, been associated with his brother, Sergt. Alphonzo M.
Bullock, in the shipping business of that port. Their father, Jo-
seph Mansfield Bullock, a native of Fredericksburg, Va., was a
well-known merchant of Norfolk. He was the son of John Bul-
lock, a planter of Spottsylvania county, and descended from John
Bullock, who came from England early in the seventeenth cen-
tury and became the founder of the Bullock family in Virginia.
Their mother was Mary Ann Martin, daughter of Alphonzo Martin,
a native of Spain, and their grandmother was Henrietta La Cost,


daughter of the Count dp Ls- Cost, of Bordeaux, France. .She was
a graduate of Urrington college and a finely educated woman.
Joseph A. A. Bullock was engaged in mercantile pursuits until the
beginning of the war of the Confederacy, when he unlisted pn May
2, 1861, in Company F of Burroughs' battalion, under Captaii? Coop-
er. At the time of the Confederate evacua^on of Richmond he was
stationed at the Rip Raps. From there he accompanied his com-
mand to Richmond and was assigned to thg brigade of Gen. L. L,
Lomax, under whose command he participated in the I'eninsular
campaign of 1862. His military service continued thrpughout
i.8fe, including participation in the battle of Fredericksburg, and
in 1863 until the engagement at Culpeperj when he was captured
by General Meade's forces and made a prisoner of war. The im-
prisonment which followed was long and severe. Transported
first to Washington, he remained there two months, was then con-
fined at Point Lookout thirteen nionths, and from there was trans-
ferred to Elmira, N, Y., where he remained as a prisoner until
after the surrender of the army of Nprthern Virginia, when he was
permitted to return to his home.

John Henry Burgess, a prominent business man of FHzabeth
City, had an adventurous career in the Confederate service as a
spldier and scout. Born at Elizabeth City, February 27, 1843, he
enlisted among the early volunteers, in May, j86i, as a corporal of
Company I, Seventeenth regiment, and was at a later date pro-
moted to sergeant. He was among the troops stationed at Oregon
inlet at the time of the first Federal .invasion of the coast, and after
the fall of Fort Hatteras, fell back to Roanoke island and was
stationed at Fort Bartow. Here they were attacked by the fleet
and army of Burnside's expedition and compelled to surrender.
Soon afterward he was paroled, but was not exchanged until the
fall of 1862, when he went on duty at Weldon as provost guard,
and remained until the spring of 1863. Subsequently he joined the
signal corps commanded by Maj. James F. Milligan, and was star
tioned on the lower James river, successively at Brandford, Bran-
don, Swan's Point and Mount Pleasant, and at Fort Clifton on the
Petersburg lines. His service on this line of signalmen was of
great importance to the defense of Richmond and was frequently
attended by danger. With eleven comrades under the command
of Sergeant Averett, he was engaged on scouting duty in the rear
of Grant's army during May, 1864, obtaining valuable information
for General Lee. He was finally with the army on the retreat from
Petersburg and was surrendered at Appomattox. Soon after the
close of hostilities, he embarked in the mercantile business in
which he is still engaged. By his marriage in 1866 to Martha R.
Newbold, he has seven children living: Henrietta Louise, wife of
C. R. Bell, of Baltimore; John Henry, Jr., and William Frederick
Martin, both in business at Norfolk; Nancy Newbold, Creighton
Newbold, Joseph Warren and Arthur Earl.

John Henry Burgess, Jr., son of the foregoing, and prominent in
the insurance business at Norfolk, Va., was btirn at Elizabeth City,
N. C. He was educated in the schools of his native city until the
age of seventeen years, when he removed to Norfolk and entered
the employment of the firm of Childrey & Mets, with whom he re-
mained four years. At the expiration of that period he returned
to Elizabeth City and became a member of the firm of G. M. Scott

CQNffJ^P^RATM M!l.IT41iY ffJ§TQRY. 776

& Co., conducting 9 gi^,efal insurance business. Two years l^ter
he formed a partnership '>yith his brother under the title of Johfi'H.
Burgess 4c Brother, V^hich' ' continued until he w« c;onipell,e(j by
poor health to retire ^om work for a time. In 1895 he' returned!
to Norfolk, and jifter connection with the firm of R. C. M. Wing-
field & Co. for one year, became a njember of the firm. On Fep-
ruary 6, 1890, h,e formed a partnership with W. W. Dey, under the
firm name of Burgess & Dey, representing the following insurance
companies: Greenwich of New York, the London' Assurance,
the Eqi^tahl? Fire of Charlpstpwn, the Maryland Life, the Trav-
elers' Accident of Hartford, and the Agricultural insurance cbrn-
pany of Watertown, N. Y. In November, 1897, the interest ot Mr.
pey was purchased by Mr. Burgess, who now conducts the husi-
riess as Burgess & Co. He is also a member of the firm of C. R.
Bell & Co., of Elizabeth City, N. C, a director in the South Oak-
wood Park land company, and in fill his business enterprises man-
ifests a keen and aggressive spirit t,hat is a guarantee of success.
Socially he is popular, and is a valued member of the Merrimac
ciub, the Masonic order, apd the order of Columbus.

John W. Burgess, a f^^rmer by occupation enlisted in a North
Cfirblina regiment early in 1861, and served throughout the war as
a private. At the close he was with the army under Gen. J. E.
Jonnston and surrendered at Greensboro. He escaped serious in-
jury during his military career, but not long after its close, in 1867,
he met an untimely death by accident. By his marriage to Mary
Elizabeth Powell, in 1859. he had three children, of whom two
survive. The only son, William G. Burgess, now a prominent
business man of Newport News, Va., was born at Morganton,
N. C, November 19, 1867, and was there reared and educated.
At the ^ge of fourteen years, taking the position of drug clerk, he
embarked in his career as a pharmacist, in 1887 he graduated at the
Chicago college of pharmacy, and during the following eight
years was employed at Manchester and Hampton, Va. His career
as proprietor of a drug establishment at Newport News began in
189s, and during the subsequent period he has fully demonstrated
his excellent business abili^ and enterprise. While a resident of
Manchester he served upon the city council, and at Newport News
he has taken an active part in municipal and social anairs, is a
member of the business men's association and several prominent
fraternal orders, and has gained a genuine popularity among the
people of the city.

Captain John J. Burroughs, of Norfolk, well known, especially
in legal and political circles throughout Virginia, is a native of
Princess Anne county, and was born April 22, 1841. His father,
who bore the same name, is well remembered as holding for nearly
half a century the office of clerk of the courts for Princess Anne
county. He died in 1874, two years after the death of his wife, Ann,
who was a daughter of Col. William Nimmo. Both the Bur-
roughs and Nimmo families are among the oldest in Virginia, and
their histories include many admirable careers in military and civil
life. Captain Burroughs, at the age of fourteen years, was sent
to school in Botetourt county to a famous teacher of that day, W.
R. Gait, brother of the celebrated sculptor, Alexander Gait. Sub-
sequently he entered Lynchburg college, a military institution,
where he completed a four years' course in the spring of 1861. The


momentous events of that period, culminating in the passage of an
ordinance of secession by the State of Virginia, filled the minds
of the Lynchburg class of 1861 to the exclusion of other topics,
and on account of their anxiety to enlist in the service of the State
the graduating exercises were held about two months earlier than
usual. In this class of young patriots were Senator John W. Daniel
and Edward S. Gregory, the poet and journalist. During his col-
lege days young Burroughs displayed a military ability that led to
his being put in command of an organization, and by virtue of this
rank he had the honor, before departing, of raising the Confederate
flag over the college. This proceeding was objected to by two of
the trustees, but Burroughs nevertheless unfurled the colors, an act
for which he was subsequently thanked after the war had actually
begun. After his graduation he returned to Norfolk and enlisted •
as a private in "Old Company F," as a member of which he served
several months at Craney island in defense of Norfolk harbor.
Tiring of this monotonous duty, he secured a transfer to a battery
of artillery on service in east Tennessee under command of his
brother, Capt. William H. Burroughs. Entering the command as
a private, he gained promotion by meritorious conduct, to orderly
sergeant, third, second and first lieutenant, and served throughout
the war. His duty, in the commands of Generals Stevenson and
Kirby Smith, called him into various campaigns in Tennessee and
Kentucky, and a large number of battles and skirmishes, the most
important engagements being at Bull's Gap, Cumberland Gap,
Marion and Knoxville. Out of this service he came without a
wound, fortunately, though on one occasion his horse, standing
by his side, lost a leg by a cannon shot from the enemy. Captain
Burroughs' company is -the one upon which Federal General Aver-
■ell vowed vengeance on account of their execution of a deserter
who joined the Federals and was afterward captured by them. The
execution of the young fellow upon the gallows after his commis-
sioning a comrade to put his sweetheart's picture under his head
when buried, are among the most painful memories of Captain
Burroughs. But such are the dread necessities of war. A notable
incident in the career of this artillery command in mountainous
territory was their charge upon a blockhouse which had
been captured and garrisoned by Federals. This remarkable mili-
tary movement for artillery was entirely successful. It illustrates
the demands made in that region upon the versatility of the Con-
federate officers. Captain Burroughs, after giving his parole at
Lynchburg, late in the summer of 1865, returned home and began
the study of law, entering upon the practice in 1866. Since 1869 he
has been a resident of Norfolk and associated in the practice
■of his profession with his brother, _ Capt. W. H. Burroughs, a
partnership which has not been interrupted, except by the
lew years' service of his brother as judge of the cor-
poration court of Norfolk. Mr. Burroughs' official career
has been limited to one term as police judge, but he has
for years taken an active part in political affairs, frequently
being called upon to speak throughout the State during the cam-
paigns of the Democratic party. He is a member of the chamber
of commerce of the city, and is a comrade of Pickett-Buchanan
camp, United Confederate Veterans. He was married in 1867 to
Eliza A. Moore, of Wythe county, who died in 1872. Five years


later he married Maria May, daughter of Richard H. Baker, a
prominent Norfolk lawyer, and a granddaughter of David May,
eminent in the Petersburg bar, and of Judge Richard H. Baker,
a Virginian of much note in his day. By this marriage he has
four sons living: William H., Richard Hansford, Hugh May and
Benjamin Baker. Captain Burroughs is a typical Virginian of the
noblest mold, in person a fine specimen of manhood, of command-
ing presence, and graceful and courtly manners. As a lawyer he is
able, skillful and fearless, but always scrupulously respectful toward
opposing counsel. Gentle as a woman, he has the chivalric courage
of knighthood, and all who come in contact with him recognize
the honorable and fairminded advocate, the courteous gentleman
and the able defender of his client's rights. As a public speaker
his accomplishments are equal if not superior to those of any con-
temporaries of the bar at which he practices. A select and varied
vocabulary, an earnest and graceful delivery, a mind well-stored
with literary lore, an ardent and enthusiastic temperament — these
and other attractive qualities are combined in his personality. As
a citizen, the fire of patriotism burns in his bosom intensely and
brightly as the sun shines in the heavens, and his public spirit is
only limited by his resources. Indeed, in every department of
life his virtues stamp him with the impress of noble manhood,
worthy of the palmiest days of the grand old State of which he is
so devoted a son.

Captain William H. Burroughs, a prominent attorney of Norfolk,
is a native of Princess Anne county, born February 20, 1832. His
family, originally of English descent, is one of the oldest in Vir-
ginia. His father, John J. Burroughs, born in Essex county in
October, 1798, was the son of Capt. Elzy Burroughs, a native of
Stafford county, who served on the staff of Gen. Robert E. Taylor
in the war of 1812. Captain Burroughs' mother was Eliza, daughter
of William Thomson, a merchant of Norfolk and collector of the
port at Norfolk under the presidency of Thomas JefTerson, who
migrated from Scotland to America in the latter part of the eigh-
teenth century, crossing in the same boat which brought the
Whittle family. Captain Burroughs, as a boy of thirteen, entered
a school at Norfolk which was taught by William R. Gait, a cele-
brated teacher of that day, and he studied there from 1845 to 1848,
then entering the Virginia military institute at Lexington, where
he was graduated in 1851. Having received an excellent education,
he became a teacher in the Norfolk military academy, holding that
position for two years. Then deciding to turn his attention to the
law, he entered the law department of William and Mary college,
and after his graduation, which occurred July 4, 1854, he embarked
in the practice at Princess Anne Court House. Thence he re-
moved in January, 1859, to Lee Court House, and a few months
later to Jacksboro, Campbell county, Tenn., where he continued
in the practice until the beginning of the war, in 1861. At that
time he was a staunch supporter of the old Union and opposed
secession until his State took that action, whenhe loyally enlisted
in her service. Repairing to Knoxville early in 1861, he utilized
his military training by drilling a regiment mustered in under
command of William M. Churchill, and then received a commission
as captain of a company in this command in June, 1861. He ac-
companied the regiment to Cumberland Gap in September, and in


file February following the coriipaiiy Mder his command was de-
tached, by order of the secretary of war, ahd organized as a battery
of Itg^ht artillery. As such it was subseqiiently attached to the
brigade of Col. Tom Taylor, iti Gen. Carter L. Stevenson's brig-
ade of E. Kirby Smith's corps. On their evacuation of Cumber-
land Gap it was occupied by the Fedefals under command of Gen-
eral Morgan, and Captain Burroughs participated inthe campaign
against them, which occupied Aixgust, and resulted in the Federal
evacuation. His command followed the retreating enemy into
Kentucky and were about to give battle when ordered to move to
Canville, Ry., where they remained until after the battle of Perry-
ville, when they joined in Bragg's retreat to Tennessee. Captain
Burroughs' battery was then assigned to duty at Cumberland Gap,
during the winter of 1862-63, and in the spring following was en-

f:aged in guarding the bridges at ZoUicoffer and vicinity. In the
all of 1863 they captured the Federal blockhouse at Limestone,
Tenn., being led in this action by Gen. Wm. L. Jackson. They
'were again engaged that fall at Bluntville, and in the following
Winter were stationed at the salt works near Abingdon, and in
May, 1864, when all troops were withdrawn from that military dis-
trict. Burroughs' battery went to the protection of the lead mines
in Wythe coulity, Va., acting with a force of home gtiards. In
October, 1864, Gen. John C. Breckinridge was assigned to that
territory, and under his command the battery moved to Wythe-
Ville, and subsequently fought in thfe battles of Bull's Gap and
Marion, intending to join the army of Lee at Lynchburg. But at
Christiansburg they learned that the army of Northern Virgihia
kad surrendered and Captain Burroughs, with twenty-five of his
hien, moved toward Johnston's army, joining it at Greensboro
about the time of its surrender, in which they participated, and
Were paroled May 4, 1865. Returning then to his home. Captain
Burroughs resumed the practice of law at Norfolk in 1866, soon
becoming distinguished in the profession. In 1870 his attainments
were recognized by his election to the position of corporation
judge, by the legislature, a post he filled with eminent ability until
1877. He is the author of two works of a legal nature, one en-
titled "Law of Taxation, Federal, State and Municipal," published
in September, 1877, and one on "Public Securities of America,"
published in 1881, which have become widely accepted as authori-
ties on those topics. He is an active member of Pickett-Buchanan
camp, United Confederate Veterans.

John S. Burwell, of Taylor's Store, Va., was born in Franklin
fcounty, September 15, 1845, a great-grandson of Col. Lewis Bur-
Well, of Revolutionary fame. True to the patriotic traditions of
his family, he enlisted when seventeen years of age, in the fall of
1862, as a private in Compahy G of the Thirty-seventh Virginia
battalion of cavalry, Maj. James L. Claiborne. During Longstreet's
bccupation of east Tennessee in the fall and winter of 1863, he
served in the cavalry brigade of W. E. Jones, Ransom's division,
in that region, and was engaged in frequent skirmishes with the
fenemy. Returning then to the Shenandoah valley, he served in the
contests in the spring and summer of 1864 in that region, ahd after
fiarly took command, participated in the raid through Maryland
to Washington, D. C, and, the many skirmishes and severe battles
which followed between Early and Sheridan, having his inost


se*6re encoufltct with the efieftiy at WiMhcStef. Ifi the Spring of
i86s he was on his way with his command to join General Lee
when they received news of the surrender at Appomattox. An

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 80 of 153)