Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 82 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 82 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

attended two sessipns pf the Xprth Carolina military academy 9.%
Hillsboro. At seventeen years of age he manifested an independ-
ent and courageous spirit by going into the We^t, where he was
employed, at the oijitbrealc of the war, as a clerk on the steamers
of the St. Louis ^ Memphis packet company. Earnestly symr
pathJzing with the movement of the South for i,n4ependeiice, he
was with the Mjgsouri minute' rnen at Camp Jackson w^ien they
were captured by General X.yon, but escaped in the confusion,
and speedily taking boat, soon after^irard reached Virginia. IJe
enlisted at Norfolk in the Petersburg City Guard, under Capt.
John P. May, subsequently Company A of the Twelfth Virginia
infantry, and soon after his arrivaf was elected second lieutenant
of Company D of that regiment. In Miay, 1862, he was appomted
adjutant of the regiment, in which rank he took part in the Pen-
insular campaign and the battle of Second Manassas, in the latter
engagement receiving a wound which disabled him until the fol-
lowing December, when he reported for duty during the battle
of Fredericksburg. He was then detailed as brigade-inspector of
Mahone's brigade, in which capacity he .served until June, 1863,
when he returned to his regiment and with it participated in thq
Gettysburg campaign. In December, 1863, he was commissioned
captain in the inspector-general's department and assigned ,to duty
with Davis' brigade of Heth's division. In this capacity he par-
ticipated in the campaigns tA the spring and summer of 1864, and
the battles from the Wilderness to the Weldon railroad. In
October he was apppinted assists^nt adjutant-genejral, an^ assigned
to his old brigade, tien under the command of General Weisiger,
in Mahone's division, with which he remained during the siege
of Petersburg and the subsequent retreat, finally surrendering at
Appomattox. In the eventful years immediately following the war
Captain Cameron was a conspicuous figure. He began the study
of law immediately after hostilities closed, but at the same time
performed the duties of local editor of the Petersburg Index.
Finding that journalism gave him a ready field of influence, he
continued in that work as editor of the Norfolk Virginian and
editor of the Petersburg Index, and after 1870 as editor success-
ively of the Richmond Whig and the Enquirer. From Governor
Walker, in this period, he received the honor of appointment as
colonel upon the gubernatorial staflf. In 1876 he was elected
mayor of his native city and held the office by re-election until
December 31, 1881, when he resigned to become the governor
of Virginia, an office to which he had been elected in Noyember
of that year. He discharged the duties of chief executive with
dignity and honor during a term of four years, and then returned
to Petersburg and resumed the practice of law. Since, with the
exception of a brief residence in Florida, he has been an honored
citizen of his native town and devoted to the work of his pro-

R. J. Camp, a prominent citizen of Franklin, Va., is a younger

CQfiiFf:i)mATE MfUTA^Y fif STORY . 787

son of George Ai>d Sallie Ca<np, of South^niptpn pou.nty, Va., who
were honored by th^ devoted service of thetr elder sons for their
State during the fiery trial through which it passed in four ye^s
of .war. Since then the survivors have been conspicuous jby reason
of the success which has crowned their efforts in building up a
great industry and utilising the resources of the south. Three
of the brothers served in the Confederate cause: John S. Camp,
who was in .the army of Northern Virginia throughout the war;
W. N., who served during the last two years of the struggle; and
Joseph, who gave his life in the defense of his State and the
Confederacy. Of the surviving brothers, three are now active
members of the Camp manufacturing ^company, of Franklin, Va-,
of which P. D. Camp is prestc(ent; J, \^ Camp, vic^-president and
general manager; and R. J. Camp, secretary and treasurer; John
S., Wm. N. and Benjamin F. also being stockholders. The com-
pany manufactures and deals in lumber on an extensive scale,
having one of the largest saw-mill and planing plants in the
South, including mills at Franklin and Arnn^dale, m which five
hundred men are employed, and producing thirty to forty million
feet of lumtier per year, a considerable part of which is shipped
to Europe, the remainder mainly to New England and the North.
P. D. Camp, Sr., president of this company and founder of the
business from which the present enterprise gjew, was born in
Southampton county in 1848. In early manhood he left the farm
of his parents and embarked in the lumber business, first on the
Nottoway river and then in Hertford cotmty, N. C-, in associa-
tion with his brother, J. L. Camp. In 1886 he came to Franklin,
and with his brothers, purchased a small lumber plant, established
before the war, which they have enlarged to its present propor-
tions. He is married to Ella V., daughter of Madison Cobb, and
they have six children :_ Ryland, John M-, May, Ella, Willie and
Ruth. J. L. Camp, vice-president and general manager of the
company, was born in Southampton county in 1857. After re-
ceiving a business education at Baltimore he began in the lumber
business in an humble capacity at the age of eighteen years, and
having thoroughly mastered the details of the industry, is enabled
to discharge with remarkable skill the duties allotted him in
the conduct of the extensive business with which he is now asso-
ciated. He was married in 1884 to Carrie, daughter of Rev. R.
R. Savage, a minister of the Baptist church. R._J. Camp, secre-
tary and treasurer, bom in Southampton county in 1854, received
an education in the local schools and the university of Virginia,
and then, after three years devoted to mercantile pursuits, returned
to the lumbering business with which he had been associated from
childhood. In 1880-81 he went to Florida and, in conjunction with
his brothers, John S. and B. F. Camp, engaged in the orange
industry, owning a productive grove of seventy-five acres. In
1887 he returned to Franklin and became a member of the Camp
manufacturing company. He was married in 1890 to Cora An-
toinette, daughter of Cecil C. Vaughan, a Confederate veteran
and prominent citizen. They have two children, Vaughan and
Antoinette Gay.

Thomas P. Campbell, of Richmond, a veteran of the Stonewall
brigade, was born in Washington county, Va., October 6 1842.
His family removing to Sms^th county during his infancy, tie was


there reared and educated. On April i8, 1861, he enlisted in Com-
pany D of the Fourth Virginia regiment of infantry, which was
assigned to the brigade commanded by Gen. T. J. Jackson, and
which won immortality at the first battle of Manassas. Campbell
served as a private until July, 1863, when he was promoted second
lieutenant, and after the capture of the captain and first lieutenant
at Gettysburg, he commanded his company during the remainder
of his service. He participated in the battle of First Manassas,
sharing in the famous stand made by his brigade, and took part
in the Valley campaign until the battle of Kernstown, where he
was captured and subsequently held as a prisoner of war at Fort
Delaware until August S, 1862. Returning to his regiment he
fought at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Bristoe Station, dur-
ing the three days' battle at Gettysburg, the fighting at the Rapi-
dan in December, 1863, and the battle of the Wilderness, May S,
1864, when, in the first day's fighting he was badly wounded in
the left hip and rendered incapable of further military service
during the continuance of the war. After the close of the hos-
tilities he occupied himself for a year in keeping a hotel in his
native county, but in September, 1866, he removed to Richmond
and embarked in business. His worth as a citizen was soon rec-
ognized at Richmond, and he was five times elected to the city
council, serving in all ten years, during two terms holding the
position of president of the council. He now holds the position
of lumber inspector for the city. On July 2^ 1866, he was com-
missioned by Gov. F. H. Pierpont as captain m the One Hundred
and Sixteenth regiment, Twenty-fifth brig^ade, and Fifth division
of Virginia militia, but resigned the commission in the following
September. He maintains membership in both the Lee and
Pickett camps of Confederate veterans at Richmond, and is a
charter member of the Jefferson Davis monumental association.
Captain Campbell was married July 27, 1864, to Miss Anna C.
Whiting, who died in September, 1891, leaving five children. On
February 22, 1893, he was married to Miss Leah Stonebreaker, of
Fredericksburg. Joseph S. Campbell, brother of the foregoing,
served as a private in Captain Campbell's company from June,
1862, until he was captured at the battle of Five Forks. At the
time of the assassination of President Lincoln he was confined in
the Old Capitol prison.

Leonard O. Capps, late of Norfolk, abandoned his youthful
studies at the outbreak of the war to enter the military service
as a member of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues. This com-
pany was organized in 1828, and turned out in full ranks April 19,
1861, served faithfully throughout the war, and at the close was
probably the largest company in the Confederate service, having
more than 150 men ready for duty in the spring of 1865. Capt.
Jacob Vickery was first in command, but Capt. Charles R. Grandy
had charge of the company during the greater part of the war.
The battery served at Craney island, Boush's bluflf and Sewell's
Point until May, 1862, and had several engagements with the
enemy. It then served about Petersburg and Richmond until the fall
of 1862, when it was ordered to the Rappahannock, and in Decem-
ber took part in the battle of Fredericksburg. The battery opened
the fight at Chancellorsville, took part in the battles of Gettys-
burg and Bristoe Station, were at the front from the Wilderness


to Cold Harbor, and during the siege of Petersburg served partly
near the Crater and partly on the Boydton plank road. Private
Capps shared this honorable service from beginning to end, par-
ticipating in all the battles of the company, and throughout dis-
charged with faithfulness and intrepidity the duties assigned him.
Charles R. Capps, son of the foregoing, born at Norfolk, March
4, 1871, after receiving an education in private schools arid Roanoke
college, entered upon his career as a railroad official in Octpber,
1888, in the humble position of messenger boy in the local office
of the Seaboard Air Line railroad.- His devotion to duty and in-
telligence and integrity led to his rapid promotion, until in July,
189s, he became general freight agent of that extensive railroad
system, a position in which he has proved himself thoroughly mas-
ter of the situation. He is also interested in cotton manufacturing
and has other important financial interests.

Colonel John B. Cary was born near Hampton, Va., October
18, 1819, of the ancient and well-known family of his name, which
settled in the Tidewater portion of Virginia and was very promi-
nent in that section until the beginning of the civil war. This
event scattered them widely, and deprived them of home and for-
tune. Colonel Cary was educated at the old college of William
and Mary, from which he graduated in 1839. He established, in
Hampton, a school of high grade, which grew to be well known
throughout the South as the Hampton military academy, whose
cadets filled, throughout the war, positions of honor and service.
The school was disbanded in May, 1861, and its principal was
appointed major of Virginia volunteers on May 13, 1861, by the
executive council of Virginia, composed of the governor, lieu-
tenant-governor, president of the State convention. Gen. R. E. Lee
and Com. M. F. _ Maury. He was assigned to the command of
a battalion, consisting of two infantry companies, one cavalry,
and one heavy artillery, then organizing at Hampton, 2 miles
from iOld Point, where Gen. B. F. Butler was in command of
10,000 volunteers, exclusive of the regular garrison. Two weeks
thereafter General Butler landed 5,000 of his men at Newport
News and Major Cary retired to Bethel, and thence by command
of General (then colonel) Magruder, to Yorktown, with his bat-
talion. This caused the evacuation of Hampton and in the fol-
lowing August this pretty little colonial town was burned to
ashes by our own troops, Major Gary's fine academy buildings
and residence, with all of their furniture and equipments, sharing
the same sad fate. In June Major Cary was assigned to duty on
Magruder's stafif, where he served at the battle of Bethel, June
loth, the first engagement of the war, after which he was promoted
for gallantry to be lieutenant-colonel of the Thirty-second Vir-
ginia. In the fall of 1861 he was put in charge of a battalion of
Alabamians and Texans, and when they were transferred to the
army of Northern Virginia he was again detailed by General
Magruder to serve on his staff as inspector-general of the army
of the Peninsula, during which time, at the siege of Yorktown, he
had his horse shot under him. Just before McClellan's advance
on Yorktown, at General Magruder's request, he was appointed
assistant adjutant and inspector-general by the secretary of war,
and as such served on his staflf until after McClellan's retreat,
being engaged actively in the fight at Savage's Station, where he

Va 50


had another horse shot under him, and at Malvern Hill. After
the battles around Richmond, Magruder was ordered to Texas,
and Colonel Gary, being disabled by having his left arm broken,
was transferred to the pay department, located in Richmond, and
served there until the close of the war. At the evacuation of
Richmond, on Sunday, April 2d, at sunrise, he left his home and
family just outside of the lines, and followed Lee, reaching
Appomattox Saturday evening. Having no command in the field,
in company with several prominent officers on Pickett's staff, he
made his escape Saturday night and reached Lynchburg the fata}
Sunday of Lee's surrender. Learning of this event they crossed
the river into Amherst county and, wandering through the country
for a week longer, he reached home on the following Saturday and
was paroled on the Grove road, near the present Soldiers' Home,
on April i6, 1865. After the war. Colonel Cary began life over
again at the bottom of the ladder, in Richmond, where he lived
as a successful and highly trusted business man until his death,
January 13, 1898, full of years and of honors. To the last he
was ever an ardent supporter of every effort to preserve the
true history of the Confederate cause and to clear the name of
his people from the charge of "treason" and "rebellion." To this
end he was one of the most active friends of the Confederate
memorial literary society, which is in charge of the Confederate
museum in Richmond. As a member of the board of aldermen,
and chairman of the school board, he was chiefly instrumental
in securing the former residence of Jefferson Davis, used by the
city las a public school, for this sacred historical purpose, and
was, up to the time of his death, chairman of the advisory board
of this society. He was also a member of the board of trustees
of the Confederate memorial association from Virginia, on the
executive committee of the Jefferson Davis monument associa-
tion, chairman of finance committee of soldiers' and sailors'
monument, and of the finance committee of the Confederate re-
union in 1896, and he was chief of staff to Gen. John B. Gordon
at the ceremonies of the reinterment of President Davis' remains
at Richmond in 1893. He truly belonged to the "Old Guard,"
and his portrait now adorns the walls of Lee camp No. i, at
Richmond, as one of their most honored veterans.

Spotswood Wellford Carmichael, M. D., of Fredericksburg,
was among the professional men who served faithfully and unsel-
fishly among the sick and wounded of the Confederate armies
during the four years' war. He comes of a family who are dis-
tinguished as physicians and now occupies the office at Freder-
icksburg which was used by his father and grandfather before
him. The latter, Dr. James Carmichael, who had been graduated
in medicine at Edinburgh, Scotland, left his native land at the
age of twenty and made his home at Fredericksburg about 1790,
where an uncle, Dr. George French, also a Scotchman, had set-
tled some time before. His son, Dr. George F. Carmichael, took
up his father's practice, married Mary, daughter of John Spots-
wood Wellford, and granddaughter of Dr. Robert Wellford (a
native of England), and during the war served as a surgeon in
the army of Korthern Virginia, having charge for some time of
the Danville hospital. His three sons also welre in the military
service. James, who was educated at the university of Virginia


hnd the Episcopal seminary at Alexandria, was ordained an
Episcopal clergyman, was rector of a church at Wilmington, N.
C, and during the war served as a chaplain. Charles Carter,
who was first lieutenant of Company C, Thirtieth Virginia regi-
ment, now resides at Fredericksburg. Dr. Carmichael was born
at Fredericksburg, November 22, 1830, and after a general edu-
cation at a classical school at Princeton, N. J., and Concord
academy, Virginia, he began the study of medicine with his
father. He continued his professional studies at the medical de-
partment of the university of Virginia and Jefterson_ medical col-
lege, Philadelphia, being graduated by the latter institution in
1852, after *rhich he pursued a course of study and practice at
New York. During the period which intervened before the seces-
sion of Virginia from the old union, he engaged in practice at
Fredericksburg, and during the first year of the war served as
an assistant surgeon, on duty at Culpeper Court House and later
at Chaffin's bluff, on the James river, attached to an artillery
command. In the spring of 1862 he was promoted surgeon. He
remained at Chafifin's bluff until the fall of 1862, and during the
following year was on hospital duty at Danville. From the fall
of 1863 to the spring of 1864, he was surgeon of the hospital at
Newnan, Ga., and then until July, 1864, was on duty at Ridi-
mond. The remainder of the war he was stationed at Lyndi-
burg. Ever since the war he has been engaged with remarkable
success in professional duties at his native city. For many years
he has been a fellow of the State medical society, and for four
years was a member of the medical examining board of Virginia.
On December 19, 1861, he was married to Fannie Tucker, daughter
of John Randolph Bryan, a native of Georgia. She died August
17, 18^, leaving five children: Randolph Bryan, a physician of
Washington, D. C; Coalter Bryan, of Richmond; Elizabeth
Coalter, Ellen Spotswood and Fannie Tucker.

C. H. Carper, editor of the Democrat, Marion, Va., was
born in 1850 at Fincastle, Botetourt county. Though consid-
erably below military age during the whole progress of the war,
he was identified for some time with the Confederate service and
won much attention by his youthful devotion to the cause. At
the age of thirteen years he became a member of Philip J. Thur-
mond's partisan rangers, with which he served on the border on
scouting duty and against the Federal raiders in West Virginia.
Subsequently he was detailed for duty as telegraph operator on
the line built under the direction of his uncle, John S. Francis,
from Dublin Depot to Union, W. Va., and while thus engaged
he was enrolled as a member of Company E, Thirty-sixth Vir-
ginia cavalry battalion, of which his uncle was first lieutenant.
After the close of hostilities Mr. Carper engaged in the printing
business, first at Marion and then at Lynchburg, where he was
occupied on the Evening Press one year. After this he estab-
lished the Montgomery Messenger at Christiansburg, which he
conducted for eleven years, and then disposed of that journal to
found his present enterprise, the Democrat, at Marion, one of
the leading papers of that section of the State. In 1870 Mr. Carper
was married to Mary Frances Seaver, who died in 1890, leaving
four children: Pearl E., Charles C, Lucy L., and Grover Cleve-
land Carper. On January 31, 1894, he married Miss Mattie E.


Williams, by whom he has two children: Katherine E. and

Major James McDowell Carrington, a prominent attorney at
the National capital, was among the earliest to enlist in the mili-
tary forces of Virginia, and had a brilliant career in the army of
General Lee as an artillery officer. He was born at Berry Hill,
in Halifax county, September ii, 1838, which was the residence of
his father. Gen. Edward C. Carrington, also a native of that
county. Subsequently the family removed to Botetourt county,
where General Carrington died in 1856, after which the widowed
mother and her son removed to Charlottesville, Va., where the
latter attended the university of Virginia. He was occupied as
a student when there occurred the first premonition of the ap-
proaching conflict, the raid of John Brown at Harper's Ferry.
On this occasion a military company, called the Sons of Lib-
erty, was organized at the college, which he joined and accom-
panied as a private to the scene of action, and was then promoted to
corporal. When quiet was restored, the company was disbanded and
Carrington returned to his studies, until Virginia troops were
again called out to meet the threatened invasion of the State.
His first service was on the staff of Gen. John B. Floyd, to whom
he was related by marriage of the general to the sister of Mrs.
Carrington. General Floyd was in command in the Kanawha
valley, and young Carrington participated in his campaigns as
aide-de-camp until after the successful aflfair at Carnifix Ferry,
in August, 1861, when he returned to his home at Charlottesville
and organized a battery of six guns. Of this organization he was
elected captain and with it took the field in the command of
Gen. Stonewall Jackson, serving under that great leader until he
fell at Chancellorsville. He joined Jackson at Port Republic and
participated in all his subsequent battles except that of Sharps-
burg. At Gettysburg he was attached to General Early's division
of Ewell's corps. Captain Carrington continued to serve with
the Charlottesville battery until after the battle of Spottsylvania
Court House. There, at bloody angle, on May i2,_ 1864, in the
hottest of the desperate fighting, he commanded his battery and
Tanner's, of Richmond, and by his gallantry earned promotion to
major. The appointment was made but the commission never
reached him, as he was captured in a Federal charge and was
fated never to rejoin the army of Northern Virginia. From the
field of battle he was transferred to Fort Delaware and there held
as, a prisoner of war until September, 1864, when, in company
with six hundred other Confederate officers, he was taken to
Morris island, S. C, where for eight weeks they lay under fire
of the batteries on Morris and Sullivan islands. Subsequently
he was held at Fort Pulaski about one month and at Hilton
Head, S. C, for forty-three days, after which he was sent North
again, where the weary imprisonment was continued until June
12, 1865. Then long after the war had ceased, he was liberated
by command of General Grant. He returned at once to Virginia
and in 1870 made his home at Richmond, where he engaged in
the study and practice of law. For one term he served as com-
monwealth attorney for Henrico county. After this he spent one
winter in New York city, where he was admitted to the bar, and
removed from there to Washington, D. C, which has since been


his home. At that city he has continued in the practice of law,
attaining an honorable rank in the profession. Major Carring-
ton retains an earnest affection for his comrades and maintains
a membership in the camp of Confederate veterans at Wash-

Major Henry C. Carter, of Richmond, a distinguished participant
in the famous career of the Richmond Howitzers in the army of
Northern Virginia, was born in Appomattox county, July 4, 1841, a
son of Archibald W. Carter. At the age of sixteen he became a
deputy in the office of the circuit court clerk of Campbell county,
aiid in 1858 served for six months in the State auditor's office at

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 82 of 153)