Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 83 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 83 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Richmond. Remaining in Richmond he enlisted in the Richmond
Howitzers, a volunteer battery commanded by Capt. George W.
Randolph, kter secretary of war for the Confederate States. As a
private he served with this command in the suppression of the John
Brown insurrection at Harper's Ferry. Upon the secession of Vir-
ginia the battery was rapidly recruited and enlarged to a battalion,
composed of the first, second and third companies, and called the
Richmond Howitzer battalion, all under the command of Captain
Randolph, promoted to the rank of major. Carter was assigned to
the third company and was mustered into the service on Capitol
Square, April 18, i86i. Soon being promoted corporal, he started
with the command on June 6th, to report to Col. J. B. Magruder, in
command at Yorktown. At the battle of Big Bethel, on June loth,
he sighted and ordered to be fired the first gun of the engagement,
which was also the first cannon shot of any regular engagement in
Virginia during the war of the Confederacy. Promotion soon fol-
lowed to sergeant, and to second lieutenant in the winter of 1861.
He served on the peninsula until March, 1862, when he was ordered
to Suffolk, where the battery remained until the evacuation of Nor-
folk. Then participating in the fighting against McClellan, the bat-
tery won laurels at Mechanicsville, Frayser's Farm and Gaines' Mill.
In August Lieutenant Carter participated in the night attack on the
Federal fleet at Harrison's landing, and then moved with the reserve
artillery to Manassas, thence taking part in the Maryland campaign
and the battle of Sharpsburg. On the return to Virginia he reported
to Gen. J. E. B. Stuart with two guns, and was stationed on outpost
duty at Charleston, where, on October 16th, he sustained a heavy at-
tack by Hancock's troops. In the engagement he was severely
wounded by a 12-pound round shot in the shoulder, this being
one of the few instances in either army where such a wound was
survived. He rejoined his battery near Fredericksburg near the
close of the year and went into winter quarters at Bowling Green.
Ordered to Fredericksburg April 21, 1863, he moved thence on the
rear of Jackson's flanking column to the field of battle at Chancel-
lorsville. During the heavy attack at Catherine Furnace by Sickles'
corps he was ordered with two guns to hold the enemy in check
until the Confederate column could form in position higher up the
hill, a service he satisfactorily performed. During the fighting of
the 3d of May his battery was placed in position by Gen. J. E. B.
Stuart in person, near Chancellor's house, and rendered effective
execution. During this engagement Carter's horse was shot under
him. Moving from Culpeper Court House with Ewell's corps June
I2th,_he_ assisted in the capture of Milroy's forces at Winchester, and
continuing to Gettysburg, participated in the second and third days'



794 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

fighting. The following winter was spent in camp at Frederi<:kshall,
in Louisa county. The opening of the campaign of 1864 found him
in the Wilderness, where the artillery could not effectively take part.
At Spottsylvania Court House, on May loth, he was heavily engaged
to the left of the "bloody angle," losing, in fortjr minutes, 18 men
killed and wounded and 25 captured, and also losing 30 horses, in-
cluding his own. With the remnant of his command he lay behind
the line of battle all day May 12th, hoping to be able to recover the
guns that had been taken by Hancock's men. On the iSth he aided
in the disastrous repulse of the attack of the Sixth corps and Bar-
low's division, and on June ist, fighting in the lines to the left of
Cold Harbor, he rendered effective aid in the repulse of Baldy
Smith's Federal corps. In August he engaged in a series of fights
near New Market heights on the north side of the James. The
Third Howitzers was the only artillery which participated in Gen.
Tige Anderson's handsome repulse of Hancock's troops at this
point, and was specially complimented by General Anderson. On
September 29th, Carter's battery was on picket near Four Mile Creek
church with two guns, supported by the Texas brigade and Gay's
cavalry, and aided in repulsing a Federal attack. The line being
broken to the right they retired to Laurel Hill church, where, sup-
ported by the cavalry, they held the enemy in check, being the only
troops between the Federals and Richmond, until Confederate forces
could be thrown into the fortified lines. In October his battery de-
fended the Darbytown road against a determined attack. He served
thus north of the James until the city was evacuated. At Deaton-
ville, during the retreat, the column he accompanied was charged by
Sheridan's cavalry, but the battery was quickly unlimbered and the
attack repulsed. In this affair he received a slight flesh wound on
the breast from a fragment of shell. Finally, at Appomattox, the
guns which the Howitzers had borrowed from the enemy in 1863,
were returned, and Captain Carter and his command were paroled.
Since then he has made his home at Richmond. A few years after
the war he reorganized the Howitzers and was elected captain, as
which he served five years. He then held for two years the rank of
major of the First battalion of artillery and during that time served
in the suppression of illegal oyster dredging on Chesapeake bay and
of a negro uprising at Danville. He is a member of G. E. Pickett
camp. Confederate Veterans

Frank Noble Carver, now prominent in the building circles of
Washington, D. C, was born in Charles county, Md., December,
1843. He was reared and educated at Washington, and when in his
youth the crisis arrived between the North and South, he allied
himself heartily with the cause of Virginia. In April, 1861, the
Washington Volunteers were organized at Alexandria for service in
the Virginia army, and he enlisted in this command, afterward be-
ing transferred with a part of the battalion to the First Virginia, as
Company E. With this regiment he served as a private until the
reorganization at Yorktown, taking part meanwhile in the first bat-
tle of Manassas. At the reorganization he became a member of the
Seventh Virginia infantry and a few days later participated in the
engagement at Williamsburg, where he was seriously wounded in
the left thigh and fell into the hands of the enemy. Destined to en-
dure the privations of a prisoner of war for a time, he was sent to
Fortress Monroe and two months later to Fort Delaware, whence.



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 795

fortunately, after four weeks' confinement, he was exchanged in
August, 1862. On returning to the army he sought service in the
infantry and became orderly sergeant of the Twenty-fifth Virginia.
He remained with that command until the fall of 1863, when he
joined the Richmond Fayette artillery as a private. With this fa-
mous old organization he participated in the fights with Sheridan's
raiders around Richmond, in the attack on New Bern, N. C, the
engagement at Chapin's Farm or New Market Heights, and in the
defense of Richmond and Petersburg, He marched with his bat-
tery in the final campaign and participated in the fight at Sailor's
Creek, where he was again captured. On this occasion he was taken
to Manchester, Va., and thence to Libby prison, but was released
a few days later upon taking the oath, the war being over. He re-
mained in Richmond after his release and engaged in the carpenter's
trade until the winter of 1867-68, when he removed to Washington,
where he has since remained, and by honorable methods and devo-
tion to duty, built up a large business as a contractor and builder.
Mr. Carver is a member of the Washington Confederate association.

James A. Casey, of Berkley, Va., a private of the Sixty-first
Virginia infantry, Mahone's brigade, was born in Nansemond
county, in 1841, the son of Eldon Casey, a farmer of that county.
Early in 1861 he enlisted in Company G of the Forty-first Virginia
infantry, and during his first year's service was stationed at Sewell's
Point, where he witnessed the naval battles in Hampton Roads,
which revolutionized that sort of warfare all over the world. A few
days before the evacuation he was ordered with his command to
Smithfield, whence he moved to Petersburg and Richmond and went
into the Peninsular campaign. Meanwhile he had been transferred
to the "Bilisoly Blues." or Company I of the Sixty-first Virginia in-
fantry, subsequently distinguished under Col. Virginius D. Groner
and Lieut.-Col. William F. Niemeyer. With this command he par-
ticipated in the battles of Seven Pines, the Seven Days' fighting be-
fore Richmond, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg and
Chancellorsville, where the regiment was very actively engaged,
and the three days' battle at Gettysburg. After the latter campaign
he was at Petersburg and in camp at Farmville until the opening of
the campaign of 1864, when, with Anderson's division he took part
in the bloody fighting at the Wilderness and Spottsylvania Court
House. At the Wilderness his brother, Elwin K. Casey, lost an arm.
He subsequently fought on the Charles City road, at Cold Harbor,
on the Petersburg lines, participated in the Confederate charge at
the battle of the Crater, was in the battle of August 19th and con-
tinual skirmishing until in the fight at Boydton plank road, October
27, 1864, he was captured by the enemy. He was held as a prisoner
at Point Lookout for five months, being released in time to reach
Richmond April i, 1865, and participate in the retreat and the sur-
render at Appomattox, on that occasion being stationed so that he
was an eye-witness of much of the negotiations. Since the war he
has been occupied as a steamboat engineer, as such being licensed
in 1869. In the same year he was married to Miss Nannie F. Wood-
house, daughter of Sawyer Woodhouse.

Colonel Richard H. Catlett. formerly a distinguished member of
the bar of western Virginia, during the Confederate war rendered
valuable service upon the staflF of Governor Letcher and subsequent-
ly in similar association with Generals Echols and Kemper. He is



796 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

a native o£ Fauquier county, born in 1828, but passed his youth in
Orange county, and in 1848 removed to Lexington, where he held
the position of quartermaster of the Virginia military institute and
later was treasurer of that institution until 1858. He then, having
prepared himself for the legal profession, was admitted to the bar at
Lexington, where he continued in the practice until the military or-
ganization of the State was put upon a war footing in 1861. In
April of that year he was called to Richmond by Governor Letcher
to take the position of aide-de-camp to the governor, with the rank
of lieutenant-colonel. He was busily occupied with the duties of
this ofiSce, practically acting as secretary to the governor, during the
exciting days of 1861 and continued in the position until late in the
summer of 1862, when he was assigned to the staff of Brigadier-
General Echols as assistant adjutant-general. His military services
in the field were mainly rendered in western Virginia, where he par-
ticipated in the battles of Fayette Court House, Droop Mountain
and New Market. After serving with General Echols until the fall
of 1864, he was ordered to Richmond to assist General Kemper in
the organization of the State reserves, a duty which occupied him
until the evacuation of the capital. He then accompanied Kemper
and his command to Danville, where the men were disbanded, and
Colonel Catlett made his way to Staunton to resume the civil pro-
fession which had been interrupted for four years in obedience to the
call of his State. He soon afterward formed a law partnership with
General Echols and H. M. Bell, which was continued with much
professional success and mutual pleasure until eighteen years later,
when General Echols removed to Kentucky. Colonel Catlett con-
tinued the practice of his profession, and the law partnership with
Mr. Bell, and other business interests, until his death, March 23,
i8g8.

Edward A. Catlin, of Richmond, now prominent in the financial
circles of that city, performed honorable service in the army of
Northern Virginia as a civil engineer and in active conflict upon the
field. He was born at Richmond October i, 1846, but passed his
childhood and youth, until i860, in Hanover county. Returning to
the city in the latter year to attend school, he witnessed the stirring
events of 1861 and longed to participate in the brave deeds and sac-
rifices of his Virginia brothers. The opportunity arrived in April,
1862, when, though he had not reached his sixteenth birthday, he
entered the service as a member of the engineering corps. He re-
mained in this work for one year and then, on account of his meri-
torious service, was tendered a commission as first lieutenant and
ordered to proceed through the tidewater counties of Virginia and
prepare a topographical map of the region. At this time, however,
his father became prostrated with a dangerous illness and young
Catlin was compelled to resign and devote himself to the care of his
father during the following year. He then, in the summer of 1864,
enlisted as a private in the Fourth Virginia cavalry and shared the
actions and campaigns of that dashing command until the close of
the struggle. During his service he participated in a number of
battles which are famous in the records of the war, including the
action at Drewry's Bluff, at Yellow Tavern (as a volunteer), in
several of the engagements about Richmond during the siege, and
was with Early in the Valley campaign of 1864, fighting at Five
Forks and other places. At Appomattox he was with his regiment



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 797

when it cut its way through the Federal lines and attempted to join
Johnston's army, but soon returned and was paroled at Richmond
in June, 1865. He then returned to Hanover county and was
busied with farming until 1872, when he removed to Danville and
was in business as a merchant for ten years. Returning to Rich-
mond in 1882, he carried on a wholesale shoe trade until 1887,
when he gave his attention to the real estate business, which he
still is connected with, though he has in the meantime become
connected with other important interests. His financial ability and
the confidence reposed in him are indicated by his positions as
president of the Security bank of Richmond, and as cashier of
the Home building company. He is a member of the Presbyterian
church and a comrade of R. E. Lee camp of Richmond.

Captain C. H. Causey, Jr., a rising young attorney of Suffolk,
Va.^ is a worthy member of the Causey family, of southeast Vir-
ginia, which gave some worthy soldiers to the Confederate cause.
William Causey, the father, was, previous to the war, in the engineer
service at Fortress Monroe, and afterward engaged in farming
until his death in 1884. Three of his sons followed the gallant
Stuart in the cavalry of the army of Northern Virginia, Capt. C.
H. Causey, J. C. Causey, and William Causey. Capt. C. H. Causey
was born at New Castle in 1837, his father being then stationed
at that point in the United States service, and was given a thorough
education at Hampton academy, Va., Union college. Pa., and
the university of Virginia. At the outbreak of the war he was en-
gaged in teaching in Georgia, but promptly returning to Virginia,
he enlisted in Company B of the Third Virginia cavalry. In
August, 1861, he was promoted first lieutenant, and in 1862 was
detailed and promoted captain in the secret service. He served
upon the staff of General Magruder during the Peninsular cam-
paign, and remaining on duty before Richmond, was captured in
1863 and subsequently imprisoned for several months at Fort Nor-
folk. After his release he continued in the Confederate service
until the close of hostilities, when he surrendered at Suffolk. After
the war he entered the legal profession and became distinguished
both as a lawyer and public man. He was clerk of the Virginia
senate four years, also served in that body as a senator from his
district, held the office of commonwealth attorney for a consid-
erable period, and at the time of his death, in 1890, was attorney
for the Seaboard Air Line and Atlantic & Danville railroads.
James C. Causey was born at Fortress Monroe in 1841 and was
educated at the Hampton military academy and Emory and Henry
college, leaving the latter institution in July, 1861, to enlist in
Company B of the Third Virginia cavalry, as a private. He served
during the Peninsular campaign at Yorktown, in the battle at
Williamsburg and through the Seven Days' fighting, in the cam-
paign of Second Manassas and the battle of Fredericksburg, and
also served as orderly for Gen. Robert Toombs. Later m the
progress of the war he was in the secret service, operating between
Richmond and Old Point until August, 1864, when he was cap-
tured. After two months' confinement at Point Lookout he was
exchanged. He then rejoined the army and participated in the
army operations from January until the surrender at Appomattox.
Subsequently he engaged in farming in Elizabeth City county



798 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

until i86g, when he embarked in business at Baltimore. William
N. Causey, the third brother, was born at Old Point in 1839 and
was educated at Hampton academy, Union college, and Emory and
Henry, and William and Mary colleges. He enlisted as first ser-
geant in Company B, Third Virginia regiment, and on account of
ill health was discharged in 1862, after which he served in th^
secret service on the peninsula, obtaining valuable information for
the Confederate government. He died August 27, 1890. Capt. C.
H. Causey, Jr., a son of the first named of these three brothers,
now resides at Suffolk, Va., engaged in the practice of law, and
holding the rank of captain of the Suffolk Grays, Company F,
Fourth Virginia regiment, to which honor he has risen from the
ranks since his enlistment in 1888. Captain Causey, Jr., values his
blood connection with the men who stood by Virginia in the
severest ordeal through which the great old State ever passed.

Milton Cayce, of Henrico county, Va., formerly prominent in
the tobacco business of Richmond, was born in Cumberland
county, December 10, 1832. He left his native county at the age of
seventeen and since then has been a resident of Petersburg or
Richmond. During the first year of the war of the Confederacy he
served as an attendant in a hospital at Petersburg, and in 1862 he
enlisted for the war as a private in Company B of the Twelfth
Virginia infantry. With the career of this gallant command he
was subsequently identified, participating honorably in the battles
of Seven Pines, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, and
others, and finally, while taking part in the repulse of the Federal
attack at the Crater falling in battle with a severe wound in the
shoulder which incapacitated him for further service. After the
surrender he made his home at Petersburg until 1870, when he re-
moved to Richmond and engaged in the tobacco business, at first
with Allen &_ Ginter. After a successful career, he has of late
years been retired from business life. He was a gallant soldier and
keeps in touch with his comrades of the great struggle by mem-
berships in both the R. E. Lee and George E. Pickett camps of
Confederate Veterans. Two brothers of Mr. Cayce also served
with honorable records in the army of Northern Virginia. George
M. Cayce, who held the rank of captain of Purcell's battery, was
wounded at Spottsylvania, and died in 1886; and E. M. Cayce, who
served at first in the Twelfth Virginia infantry, subsequently was
transferred to Purcell's battery, and was wounded at the second
battle of Manassas.

Richard Booker ChafSn, a well-known business man of Rich-
mond, is a native of Amelia county, Va., where he was born No-
vember 29, 1844, and reared and educated preparatory to entering
the Virginia military institute. While he was a youthful student at
that institution, the early period of the war of the Confederacy
was in progress, and he abandoned his studies in October, 1863, to
enlist in the Confederate States army. He joined as a volunteer
the cavalry command of Gen. W. L. Jackson, of Virginia, and par-
ticipated in the operations of his brigade until, while taking part
in a charge at Jackson river, he was so severely wounded as to be
incapacitated for further military service. When in March, 1864,
he had become competent for lighter duty, he was assigned to the
department of the provost marshal with promotion to the rank of



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY, 799

lieutenant, and, being detailed for duty in Powhatan county, re-
mained there until the close of the war, rendering efficiently the
service assigned to him. In the spring of 1864 he embraced an op-
portunity to engage in the fighting for possession of the Rich-
mond & Danville railroad. He was paroled at the surrender in
April, 1865, and then returned to his home in Amelia county, where
he occupied himself with farming during the succeeding five years.
In 1873 he made his home at Richmond and engaged in the real
estate business, which he has carried on since that date with consid-
erable success, and has been honorably identified with the develop-
ment of the city since the war. In his native county and in the
city of his adoption he is highly esteemed as a citizen and business
man. For four years he has served the city as a member of the
board of aldermen. He is a valued member of R. E. Lee camp.
No. I, of Confederate Veterans.

Captain William W. Chamberlaine, of Norfolk, distinguished in
the record of Mahone's brigade, and in the artillery of the army of
Northern Virginia, was born at Norfolk, October 16, 1836. His
father, Richard H. Chamberlaine, born in the same city June 7,
1807, died July 23, 1879, was a banker and influential citizen. George
Chamberlaine, father of the latter, a shipbuilder and soldier of the
war of 1812, was the son of George Chamberlaine, of Warrick
county, a sea captain and lieutenant in the Virginia navy during
the Revolution. The subject of this notice was reared at his native
city and educated in the Norfolk military academy and Hampden-
Sidney college, in early manhood becoming associated with his
father as a partner in the banking business. Before the war he was
a member, with the rank of first sergeant, of the military organiza-
tion known as "Company F," which was the largest in numbers
in the city and composed of a notable representation of the best
families. It was mustered under arms April 19, 1861, and attached
as Company G to the Sixth Virginia regiment of infantry. Ser-
geant Chamberlaine was then promoted first lieutenant. The
company was stationed at Craney island until the evacuation, and
there being in charge of a battery of heavy guns acquired a pro-
ficiency in the artillery service that influenced Lieutenant Cham-
berlaine's subsequent career, and made possible some important
service on the field of Sharpsburg. The company served as sharp-
shooters at Drewry's bluff in the fight with the Monitor and its
consorts, and lost heavily at Malvern Hill and Second Manassas,
fighting also in the skirmishes at King's Schoolhouse and Charles
City cross-roads. During the Maryland campaign the command
shared in the heroic stand made at Crampton's Gap, and in the
forced march from Pleasant valley to join Lee at Sharpsburg. The
loss of the company had been so great that, on reaching that field, it
consisted only of Lieutenants Robertson and Chamberlaine and
Private C. W. Hill, and Mahone's entire brigade hardly reached
the dignity of a company in numbers. The command was ordered
up on the Hagerstown road to the Piper house, and meeting a
heavy fire, Lieutenant Chamberlaine was sent to the rear to report
the situation. En route he found a six-poundergun on the Hagers-
town road which had been abandoned, and rallying a few men about
him, put the gun in position to defend a stone wall at which the
retreating troops were put in line. For some time this gun played



800 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

an important part in the battle, driving back the Federal advance.
Lieutenant Chamberlaine sighted the gun and served the vent, with
some Georgia soldiers for a gun crew, and Privates Hill and Todd,
of Company F, as infantry support. So well was the gun served
that General Hancock reported that two guns had been used
against his line. It may truthfully be said that Lieutenant Cham-
berlaine's coolness and skill at this juncture, staying by his gun in



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 83 of 153)