Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 84 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 84 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the face of a hot Federal fire, in which he was himself wounded,
saved the fortunes of that part of the army and made possible the
effective check that McClellan received at Sharpsburg. He subse-
quently fought with the Sixth regiment at Fredericksburg. On
December i6, 1862, he was detailed as a member of Captain Huger's
battery, and after three months' service in that capacity, he was
surprised by an order to report to Colonel Crutchfield as adjutant
of the artillery of the Second corps. After the battle of Chancel-
lorsville, at the reorganization which followed the death of Jack-
son, he became acting adjutant of artillery of the Third corps, and
on October 23, 1863, he was promoted captain and assistant adju-
tant-general, on the staff of General Walker, chief of artillery.
Third army corps. With the artillery he participated in the battles
of Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold
Harbor, the defense of Petersburg, and the retreat to Appomattox.
He was paroled at Danville about June i, 1865, and then returned
to Norfolk. Since then he has been engaged principally in bank-
ing, but for the past twenty years he has been prominent in rail-
road management. In 1877 he became treasurer of the Seaboard
& Roanoke railroad, and still holding that position at the time of
the formation of the Seaboard Air Line, he was promoted comp-
troller of the new system, a position he has subsequently filled.
He is a member of Pickett-Buchanan camp and the Christ Episco-
pal church. April 21, 1864, he was married to Mattie Hughes Dil-
lard, of Franklin county, Va., and they have three children, Mary
Wilson, wife of Fergus Reid, of Norfolk; Ann Dillard, wife of
Lieut. Frank W. Coe, U. S. A., and William Chamberlaine, a lieu-
tenant in the United States army, of the West Point class of 1892.
Capt. George Chamberlaine, brother of the foregoing, was
born at Norfolk, July 30, 1834, and was educated at the Norfolk
military academy and the Virginia military institute, being g;radu-
ated at the latter school in 1853. After two years spent in the
banking house of Samuel Harris & Sons, Baltimore, he became
a partner in his father's bank at Norfolk, where he remained until
on September i, 1861, he entered the service of the Confederate
States as commissary. He was assigned to duty at Craney island
by the secretary of war, and subsequently served with the Ninth
Virginia infantry, of Armistead's brigade, until after the battle of
Gettysburg. After that time he was on post duty at Franklin and
Burkeville, Va., until he surrendered and was paroled at Richmond
in April, 1865. Since the war he has been engaged in banking at
Norfolk.

Robert F. Chambers, of Petersburg, Va., entered the Confed-
erate service in 1862 as a private in Capt. A. B. Goodwyn's com-
pany, organized at Petersburg. During a large part of his military
career he performed guard duty at various places and served with
fidelity in the duties assigned him. His last active participation in
the great struggle was in the battle of Five Forks, where he fought



CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTORY. 801

with the Confederate troops in their gallant stand against the over-
whelming forces under Sheridan on April i, 1865, the result of
the battle determining the fate of Richmond. He was captured
by the enemy in this engagement and subsequently was confined
as a prisoner of war at Point Lookout until June 3, 1865. Then
being released, he returned to Dinwiddle county and during the
next ten years gave his attention to farming. He then engaged in
mercantile pursuits, in which he has been quite successful, and in
addition has for some time been interested in real estate brokerage.
He maintains a membership in A. P. Hill camp, Confederate Vet-
erans. In 1867 he was married to Miss Ann C. Ellington, and they
have four children living: Florence, wife of W. R. Roffe; Annie
E., R. L., and Virginia May.

Lieutenant-Colonel W. H. Chapman, distinguished alike as an
artillery officer of the army of Northern Virginia, and one of the
lieutenants of the famous leader, John S. Mosby, was born in Mad-
ison county,- Va., April 17, 1840. His parents soon after moved to
and resided in Page county, of that State, and he became a student
in the university of Virginia. A? a member of the company of
students called the Southern Guards, he went to Harper's Ferry to
take possession of that post immediately upon the secession of Vir-
ginia, but soon afterward his company and the Sons of Liberty
were sent back to the university and disbanded, that they might
be scattered among other commands. He at once assisted in the
organization of the Dixie artillery, and was elected second lieu-
tenant, and at the reorganization, was promoted to captain. He
was under Beauregard's and Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's command
during the early part of the war in Virginia, in the Seven Days'
battles served in Colonel Walton's battalion of Longstreet's com-
mand, at Second Manassas was attached to Featherston's brigade
and. occupying an important position, contributed very materially
to the defeat of the Federal army, and at Sharpsburg took an active
part in the battle. After the Maryland campaign the artillery of
the army was consolidated and his battery was joined to that of
Pegram, and assigned to duty in Fauquier county. Early in 1863
Colonel Mosby began the organization of his famous command,
and Captain Chapman, co-operating with him, formed Company C
of the Forty-third battalion, and was elected captain. He was one
of the foremost of Mosby's men till the end of the struggle, and
rose to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. During the war he was
married to Miss Josephine Jeffries in Fauquier county. Va., and
tnade his home there and engaged in farming until 1873, when,
through the friendship of Colonel Mosby and General Grant, he
was appointed to the railway mail service. Subsequently he was
appointed a special agent of the department of internal revenue
of the United States government, the duties of which he has per-
formed with great efficiency, serving at different times in nearly
every Southern and many of the Northern States. For some time
he has been stationed at Greensboro, N. C, though his place of
residence is in Orange county, near Gordonsville, Va.

James B. Chastain.a business man of Baltimore, is a native of
Virginia, born in Halifax county, in 1843, of a family which traces
its descent back to the Huguenots of France. At an early age,
■while at home in Halifax county, he began to take a deep interest



802 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

in the events of that period, when history was rapidly making, and
when the movement began to organize companies of militia for
defense against possible danger, as a result of the excitement at-
tending the attempted insurrection under the leadership of John
Brown, young Chastain became a member, at the age of seventeen,
of John Grammar's infantry company of forty-two men. When
Virginia decided to cast her lot with her sister States of the South,
this company was the first to go into the field from that county,
and was assigned to Major Montague's battalion, and subsequently
to the command of Gen. John B. Magruder. Eighteen months
later Mr. Chastain retired from the ranks and went to Lexington
and began a course of study in the Virginia military institute,
which he continued foi a year and a half. He then enlisted in the
Third Richmond Howitzers, and served in that command during
the remainder of the war, being present'at the surrender at Appo-
mattox. During the period of his service he participated in a nura,-
l)er of engagements, among which may be noted as the most imr
portant, the engagement at Big Bethel, June lo, 1861, it being the
first battle which took place betweeii the North and SoiJlh, in
^yhich the Confederate forces were commanded by Colonel, after-
ward general, J. B. Magruder. Here the brave action of the Con-
federates in the face of large odds added greatly to the confidence
of the young soldiers. At New Market he seryed in the successful
battle with Sigel in the valley, under General Breckinridge, in the
ranks of the gallant cadets. He fought in the bloody engagements
in the Wilderness and down to Spottsylvania, was in the engage-
ment at New Market heights on the north side of the James river,
when Fort Harrison was captured, and finally participated in the
battle of Sailor's Creek. After all was over he returned to his old
home with nothing but a horse he had bought of a comrade. This
he was able to sell for $150 and with the proceeds he made his way
in September, 1865, to Baltimore, to enter business life. He en-
tered the employment of Hamilton, Easter & Co., and five
years later became connected with William Devries & Co.,
with whom he remained three years. Then after eighteen months'
experience in the dry goods commission business for himself, he
was solicited to engage with Wyman, Byrd & Co. with whom he
Tyas associated until Mr. Wyman's death in 1883, when he embarked
in the real estate business, which he still carries on with marked
success.

William Dallas Chesterman, a well-known journalist of Rich-
mond, was born in Hanover county, Va., July 10, 1845. He was
receiving his education at Richmond when the war broke out, and
on February 16, 1862, abandoned the occupations of youth to be-
come a soldier in the service of the Confederate States. He en-
listed as a private in the Richmond Light Infantry Blues and sub-
sequently participated in many campaigns and battles, doing the
duty of a gallant soldier at Yorktown, the battles before Richmond,
the campaign of General Wise's brigade in South Carolina, the
defense of Petersburg and elsewhere, until permanently disabled
for active duty by a wound received in the trenches of Petersburg
June 17, 1864. During the following winter, however, he was suffi-
ciently recovered to serve at Richmond in the bureau for the ex-
change of prisoners, where he remained until paroled in April,
1865. After this event he continued to reside at Richmond and



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 803

soon became associated with the Daily Examiner as private sec-
retary of the editor, beginning in this capacity a career of journal-
ism in which he has been eminently successful. Subsequently he
was made business manager of the Southern Opinion company,
from which position he returned to the Enquirer as local editor.
Since 1874 he has been connected with the Dispatch, of which he
is vice-president at the present time. For twelve years Mr. Ches-
terman was a member of the board of directors of the State peni-
tentiary. He maintains a membership in Lee camp of Confederate
Veterans.

Aurelius Garland Chewning, a prominent business man of Roa-
noke, who served as a boy with the cavalry of Gen. W. H. F. Lee,
was born in Caroline county, October 23, 1847, and was reared
until the age of fourteen years at the home of his parents in
Spottsylvania county. When he had reached the latter age the
devastations of war compelled the family to take refuge in Caroline
county, where he remained until July, 1864, when, being in his
seventeenth year, he determined to serve with the army. He vol-
unteered with Company E of the Ninth cavalry, and did camp
duty, though not regularly enlisted, until October, 1864. After
that date he participated in the operations of the regiment until
the surrender. He was in the cavalry engagements at Ashland and
about Petersburg and Richmond during the siege, the fighting on
the retreat, including Five Forks and the final operations at Appo-
mattox. With the cavalry he did not remain for the surrender,
but subsequently was paroled at Ashland. After the conclusion
of hostilities he busied himself at farming in Caroline county for
two years, and then was occupied as a clerk at Fredericksburg for
five years. During the next seventeen years he was in business
at Washington, whence he removed in 1889 to make his home at
Roanoke.

George L. Christian, one of Richmond's best known and most
esteemed citizens, was bom in Charles City county in 1842, where
he was reared and educated at the Northwood academy. In 1859
he left his native county and soon afterward made his home at
Richmond. At the beginning of the war he enlisted in the Rich-
mond Howitzers and subsequently took part in all the engagements
of that gallant command until he was disabled by wounds, receiving
promotion to the rank of sergeant. With the Howitzers he took
part in the siege of Yorktown and the battles of Williamsburg,
Seven Pines, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and
Winchester, and fought through the bloody conflicts of 1864 in
the Wilderness and at Spottsylvania, until, at the "bloody angle,"
he received wounds that rendered him unfit for further military
duty. In the heat of the fight with his battery, a cannon ball tore
off one foot entirely and the heel of the other, maiming him for
life. As soon as he was able to walk after this injury, he entered
the university of Virginia for the study of law and embarked in
that profession, in which he has since achieved notable success.
From 1872 to 1878 he held the office of clerk of the supreme court,
and from 1878 to 1883 served as judge of the Hustings court of
Richmond. In civil life he again narrowly escaped death during
the Capitol disaster, his life being saved on_ this occasion by the
bodies of two others who were killed. As judge he made a fine



804 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

record for ability and impartial justice, and as president of the
common council, president of the chamber of commerce, president
of the National bank of Virginia, and director in many other im-
portant institutions, he has manifested a generous public spirit, and
remarkable energy and physical endurance. Of the Virginia di-
vision of the army of Northern Virginia, the pioneer of the Con-
federate organizations of the South, he has always been an active
and influential member, and served as its sixth president, succeed-
ing Gens. Fitzhugh Lee, George E. Pickett, W. H. F. Lee, William
B. Taliaferro and William H. Payne, in this honorable position.

R. L. Christian, a veteran business man of Richmond, rendered
meritorious service throughout the entire war of the Confederacy
in the artillery of the army of Northern Virginia. He is a native
of Charles City county, Va., born in 1829, and was reared and
educated in that county. Coming to Richmond in 1848 to embark
on a business career, he made a modest beginning, but has ever
since been engaged in a prosperous trade, either in the grocery or
dry goods lines, except during the period of the war. He went
into the military service of the State, at the outbreak of the strug-
gle, as a private in the Richmond Howitzers and served with the
guns for six months. Then being fitted by his previous training
for the important work of provisioning the troops, he was appointed
to the post of quartermaster of the battalion of artillery composed
of the Second and Third Howitzers, the Powhatan artillery, the
Salem artillery and the Rockbridge artillery. In this important
relation he served with these famous commands until the surrender
at Appomattox. After that event he returned to business life,
working with renewed activity to repair the losses of the war.
Now among the oldest business men of the city, he enjoys the re-
spect and esteem that follow a long and honorable career. He
maintains a membership in R. E. Lee camp, in comradeship with
other survivors of the great struggle, and also with the Howitzer
association.

John Herbert Claiborne, M. D., an eminent physician of Peters-
burg, during the Confederate era rendered distinguished service,
both as a member of the Virginia senate and as a surgeon in the
military service with the rank of major. He is a native of Bruns-
wick county, born March 10, 1828, and is the descendant of a family
distinguished for patriotic service to the commonwealth. His
father, Rev. John G. Claiborne, born in Dinwiddle county in 1798,
died at Petersburg in 1887, was a practitioner of the law and later
a clergyman, and married Mary E., daughter of Daniel and Polly
(Frazer) Weldon, of Roanoke, who died in 1857. The grandfather
of Dr. Claiborne was Herbert Claiborne, who served in the Surry
troop of Lee's legion during the war of the Revolution. The latter
was the son of Col. Augustine Claiborne, secretary of the county
of Surry during the reign of George IH, and he was a great-
grandson of William Claiborne, of Maryland. Dr. Claiborne was
prepared for college at the Ebenezer academy in his native county,
one of the oldest educational institutions of the State, and at an
academy at Leesburg, N. C. He was graduated by Randolph-
Macon college with the degree of A. B. and subsequently received
the degree of A. M. from the same institution. Turning his atten-
tion to the study of medicine, he was graduated in that profession



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 805

by the university of Virginia in 1849, by Jefferson medical college,
of Philadelphia, in 1850, and by the Pennsylvania hospital and the
Philadelphia obstetrical institute in 1851. His professional work
was begun at Petersburg in 1851, and it has since been interrupted
only by his public and military services. During this exceptionally
long and successful career he has been the recipient of many honors
from his professional brethren. He is honorary fellow and ex-
president of the Virginia medical association, is a fellow of the
Southern surgical and gynecological association, a fellow of the
Gynecological society of Boston, a member of the American health
association and a member-elect of the Victoria institute of Great
Britain. In 1855 Dr. Claiborne was elected to the house of dele-
gates of Virginia, and after one term was elected to the State sen-
. ate for four years. Before the expiration of this term the ordinance
of secession was passed by the convention. When the Fourth
battalion of Virginia volunteers, composed of the military com-
panies of the city of Petersburg, left the city on the afternoon of
Saturday, April 20, 1861, for Norfolk, Dr. Claiborne accompanied
them with the rank of captain. In May following he was promoted
surgeon, with the rank of major, and assigned to duty with the
Twelfth Virginia regiment, Mahone's brigade. In the same month
he was re-elected to the State senate, but he remained with his reg-
iment until December, 1861, when he was ordered by the secretary
of war to take his seat in the senate. This order he obeyed, but
immediately resigned the civil office, and asked further orders as a
surgeon. His regimental place having been filled meantime, he
was assigned to the duty ot organizing and equipping general hos-
pitals. In June, 1864, when Lee's army occupied Petersburg, Dr.
Claiborne was the senior surgeon of the post and was assigned
to duty as chief executive officer and chief surgeon of all the mil-
itary hospitals in Petersburg and vicinity. He was wounded during
the siege, but continued on duty and accompanied the army to Ap-
pomattox, where he was captured on April 9, 1865, by General
Deven's command, one hour before the surrender by General Lee.
Since that period he has, in addition to his practice, held the posi-
tions of health officer of Petersburg, president of the State board
of health and surgeon of the Veteran corps, A. P. Hill camp, and
has made many valuable contributions to medical literature, in-
cluding a well-known work entitled, "Clinical Reports from Private
Practice." He was married in 1863 to Sarah J. Alston, who died in
1869. In 1887 he married Miss Anna L. Watson. Seven children
are living. His oldest son, John Herbert Claiborne, Jr., is a cele-
brated specialist in the medical profession, with his home at New
York city.

William D. Clark, a native of Virginia and veteran of the Con-
federacy, who is now prominent in mercantile life at Washington,
D. C., was born in Albemarle county in 1840, and was there reared
and educated. His father was David H. Clark, a native of Virginia.
In April, 1861, he went to Harper's Ferry as a member of the
Monticello Guards, and became a member of the Nineteenth
Virginia infantry regiment, with which he served at the first battle
of Manassas, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Gaines' Mill, Frayser's
Farm and Malvern Hill. After the battle of Sharpsburg he was
transferred to Captain Massie's battery and shared the fighting of
Va 51



806 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

that command at Fredericksburg, Kelly's Ford, Gettysburg, the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, the defeat of Wallace at
Monocacy, Early's demonstration before Washington and the bat-
tles under Early in the Valley, at Winchester, Fisher's Hill and
Cedar Creek. In the latter engagement he was captured and was
subsequently held at Point Lookout until June, 1865. In the fol-
lowing September he made his home at Washington and ten years
later entered the dry goods business at that city. Besides himself,
two brothers served in the Confederate army, Edmund F., as a
private in the Nineteenth Virginia, and Charles D., in Massie's
battery

Henry C. Cline, M. D., of Front Royal, a veteran of the "Laurel
Brigade," entered the service in his boyhood as a private in Capt.
Walter Bowen's company of cavalry of Colonel McDonald's regi- ■
ment. He participated in the West Virginia campaign of 1861, and
then, under Ashby's command in the army commanded by Stone-
wall Jackson, participated in the winter expedition against Bath.
In May, 1862, he took part in the battle of McDowell, where fell
the lamented Colonel Gibbons of the Tenth Virginia regiment, and
then marched down the valley, fighting at Front Royal and Win-
chester and driving Banks across the Potomac. During the return
march up the valley he served with the cavalry, guarding the im-
mense wagon trains captured from the Federals, and participated
in the fights at Strasburg, Fisher's Hill, Woodstock and other
encounters of the rear guard with the enemy. He was in the fight
when Ashby fell after capturing Sir Percy Wyndham, who had
boasted that he would "bag Ashby and his band," and in the battles
of Cross Keys and Port Republic which followed in quick succes-
sion. In the cavalry brigade of Gen. W. E. Jones he took part in
the second Manassas campaign, the Maryland campaign, the expe-
dition into West Virginia in April, 1863, when the command was
in the saddle thirty-three days, fighting and skirmishing almost
daily; the Gettysburg campaign, and the battles of Brandy Station
and Cold Harbor. He fought with Rosser and Early in the valley,
including the battles of Cedar Creek and Fisher's Hill; was in the
fight between Custer and Mosby at Front Royal, where Custer
captured and executed six of Mosby's men; and was in all the
cavalry engagements under Rosser, Lee and Hampton in the Rich-
mond and Appomattox campaign, including Five Forks, High
Bridge and Appomattox Court House; after which, cutting through
the Federal lines, he was paroled at Winchester. W. R. Cline, a
brother of Dr. Cline, born in 1844, now living at Fulton, Mo.,
served in the Warren Rifles, a company of the Seventeenth Vir-
ginia infantry. Corse's brigade, at First Manassas, Seven Pines,
Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, and Fredericksburg, and in the
summer of 1863, was transferred to the Eighth Virginia cavalry
and shared his brother's service to the close. After the war Dr.
Cline studied at the Front Royal academy and Roanoke college,
and after teaching school for several years, was graduated in 1876
by the Maryland medical college. Since then he has enjoyed a
successful practice. He is a member of the William Richardson
camp, United Confederate Veterans.

William Izard Clopton, judge of the county court of Chesterfield
county, Va., rendered effective service during the war of the Con-
federacy as a captain of artillery. He was born in Henrico county



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 807

in 1839, and was graduated at William and Mary college at the age
of eighteen years with the degree of A. M. Then embarking upon
the study and practice of law, he was admitted to the bar while in
the State of Georgia. Returning to Virginia before the crisis of
1861, he entered the Confederate service on April 19th as junior sec-
ond lieutenant of the Richmond Fayette artillery. Not long after-
ward he was promoted captain, and he commanded the battery in
all its engagements, except three, during the four years' war. The
Fayette battery rendered distinguished service on many hard-fought
fields, and the history of its service would be that of this subject
in the army of Northern Virginia. Among the engagements in



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 84 of 153)