Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 89 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 89 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

new government and was commissioned captain, corps of artillery,
C. S. A. Going into western Virginia with General Garnett, he
became his chief of artillery and was stationed at Rich Mountain
with the command of General Pegram. When the latter officer
perceived that McClellan intended to flank his position by taking
possession of the crest of Rich Mountain, he sent De Lagnel with
several companies of infantry and one piece of artillery, to defend
the mountain to the last extremity. Here he withstood the attack
of a largely superior force under Rosecrans, making a desperate
fight until his men were forced back by the heavy fire of musketry
and artillery. With indomitable courage he fought his gun alone
until the enemy were upon him and he fell severely wounded. In
the confusion he managed to hide himself in a mountain thicket
until the Federal troops were withdrawn and then obtained shelter
with a sympathetic mountaineer. Here he was cared for until his
recovery, when he attempted, disguised as a herder, to make his
way through the Federal lines. He was successful until he had
reached the last picket post, when an inquisitive soldier noticed
that his boots were of a kind unusual among the natives, and
being pulled off, they revealed his name. The latter was well
known, as there had been much speculation regarding his mysteri-
ous disappearance from the battlefield, and he was promptly sent
as a prisoner to Federal headquarters. Upon his return to the
service he was promoted major of the Twentieth battalion, Vir-
ginia artillery, and was oflFered the commission of brigadier-gen-
eral, which he declined. He subsequently served upon the ordnance
bureau at Richmond.


Captain Owington G. Delk, of Smithfield, Va., a veteran of the
Third Virginia infantry, was born in Southampton county, August
14, 1838, the son of Josiah' X). M. and Emily A. (Harvey) Delk,
both natives of the same county. After the father's death, in 1844,
the mother with her two children removed to Isle of Wight county,
where Captain Delk was reared and educated in the old field
schools. At the age of twenty-one he embarked in business as
proprietor of a country store, but closed this in the spring of
1861 to enter the Confederate service. He was mustered in at
Smithfield, in June, 1861, as second sergeant of a company or-
ganized for the heavy artillery, with which he served a month on
the Nansemond river and a few months at Fort Boykin, after
which the company was transferred to infantry and became Com-
pany I of the Third Virginia. Sergeant Delk was detached for
service in a signal corps, with which he was connected until a few
days after the battle of Williamsburg, when he rejoined his com-
pany and was soon promoted second lieutenant, in which rank he
participated in the battles of Seven Pines and Second Manassas.
He was then promoted captain and, in command of his company,
he took part in the subsequent operations of Pickett's division in
Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, including
the famous charge at Gettysburg. On January 8, 1865, while on
duty before Dutch Gap, he was taken with a severe attack of
rheumatism which compelled his retirement from the army, and
disabled him for a year afterward. Upon his recovery he farmed
for two years, and then entered nautical life as manager of a sail
packet between Smithfield and Norfolk. Since 1871 he has been
connected with the Old Dominion Steamship company, passing
through the grades of mate, purser and pilot to that of captain,
having held the latter office fifteen years. He is now in charge
of the Luray, plying between Smithfield and Norfolk, and is
trusted by the company and very popular with the public. Cap-
tain Delk was married in December, 1871, to Anna M., daughter
of Albert G. and Lavinia (Wheedon) Spratley, and they have
three children: Owington Gordon, Anna Cary, and Emily

Lewis C. Dey, who, at the beginning of the war of the Con-
federacy, enlisted as a member of the Norfolk Home Guard, com-
manded by Captain Warren, was born in Princess Anne county,
in 1824, but has resided in Norfolk since 1830. In 1861, soon after
the commencement of the war, he was detailed to manufacture
uniforms for the Confederate officers and soldiers, and continued
this work until after the evacuation of Richmond. His wife, Lucy
C, daughter of George Armistead, who was a wealthjr and influ-
ential planter of Matthews county prior to the war, died in 189S.
William Walter Dey, a son of this couple, was born at Norfolk
February 28, 1862, and was reared in his native city, completing
his education under the supervision of Professor James H. Dillard,
now noted as the president of Tulane university, of New Orleans.
At seventeen years of age he became connected with the great
transportation business of the city as a clerk in the office of the
Norfolk & Western railroad company. Subsequently he was
engaged with the Old Dominion steamship company for a period
of eight years, leaving that employment in 1888, on account of his


election to the office of commissioner of revenue of Norfolk.
Taking this office at the age of twenty-six, he was the youngest
tnan who had ever held this position, or ^n fact any of the mu-
nicipal offices. He was re-elected in 1892 and again in i8g6, and
his service has justified the trust reposed in him by the community.
He occupies a high position in social and business circles, is a
member of the Business Men's association and the Merrimac club,
and is a staff officer of the Fourth Virginia regiment. His fra-
ternal connections are with the Odd Fellows, the Masonic order,
Knigljts of Pythias, the Elks, Royal Arcanum, Red Men, Hepta-
sophs, National Union and Modern Woodmen. He was mar-
ried November 14, 1888, to Jariie, daughter of Capt Henry Whyte,
of the Norfolk & Western railroad.

Captain James Woodson Dickerson, of Lynchburg, commander,
during the latter part of the war, of the Lynchburg artillery, or
Latham's battery, was born at Richmond, Va., in 1837. Removing
with his family to Lynchburg, in 1850, he entered the Confederate
service in April, 1861, as a corporal of the artillery company under
Capt. H. G. Latham. Three months later he was made fourth
sergeant, and in the spring of 1S62 he was elected first lieutenant.
His promotion to captain occurred in November, 1864, and he
was in command of the company from that date until the sur-
render at Appomattox. His military career, which is highly de-
serving of honorable place apiong the records of the gallant
artillery ofiScers of the army of Northern Virginia, embraces faith-
ful service in a large part of the famous campaigns and battles
in which the army participated. Among the engagements in which
he served with his guns were First Manassas, Williamsburg and
Seven Pines, after which he was disabled for some time by a
severe wound received in the latter battle, his right leg being
broken by a musket ball, which he still carries. After his recovery
he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and the second
and third days at Gettysburg, and was engaged against the enemy
while crossing the Potomac on the retreat from Maryland. He
was subsequently stationed at Petersburg^ from September until
December, 1863, took part in a reconnoissance toward Suffolk,
Norfolk and other points, and, early in 1864 participated in the
campaign in North Carolina, fighting at Plymouth, Little Wash-
ington and New Bern. Then recalled to the defense of Rich-
mond be fought against Butler's army at Drewry's Bluff and
against Grant at Cold Harbor, and again, before Fetersburg, was
in the fight against Grant on June 15 and 16, 1864. After that date,
until the evacuation, he participated in the defense of the Howlett
line, during nearly all the. time fighting day and night. On the
retreat which followed he was actively engaged in holding^ the
Federal army in check, and,"particip^ing in the battle of Sailor's
Creek, received a flesh wound in the head from a rifle ball. His
battery did effective work at Sailor's Creek and, escaping the gen-
eral disaster, was again in action at Appomattox Station on the
Saturday evening before the surrender. Near Oakville the gallant
men were compelled to spike and leave their guns. Thence Cap-
tain Dickerson went to Lynchburg, by way of Harris' Perry, and
had made his way into North Carolina before hearing of the
surrender of the armies of both Lee and Johnston. He spent

Va 53


several weeks in the mountains of North Carolina and then re-
turned to his home. He soon became engaged in the furniture
business, which he carried on until 1887, since when he has man-
aged his farming and other interests. He is an influential citizen,
has served ten years on the city council, and is a member of Gar-
land-Rodes camp. Confederate Veterans. In 1873 he was married
to Miss Jemmie Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Craig, of Roanoke,
and they have six children: William Woodson, Julia E., Yrmyr,
James W., Robert, and Margaret V.

Marion Johnson Dimmock, a well-known architect of Richmond
and a veteran of Wise's cavalry legion, was bom at Portsmouth,
Va., in 1842, but, being brought to Richmond in infancy by his
parents, he was there reared and educated. He is the son of Gen.
Charles H. Dimmock, a native of Massachusetts, who was ap-
pointed to the National military academy at West Point from that
State, and after graduation served in the United States army
under General Scott in the Indian Florida wars. Going to Vir-
ginia about 1840 and making his home at Portsmouth, he held
the position of commandant of the Public Guard of Virginia when
the war broke out. He entered heartily into the part which was
enacted by Virginia during the war of the Confederacy and was
appointed by Governor Letcher to the rank of brigadier-general
and chief of ordnance for the department of Virginia. In this posi-
tion he rendered efficient service until his death, in the year 1863,
at the age of sixty-three years. His son, Marion Johnson Dim-
mock, entered the Confederate service in April, 1861, as a private
in the cavalry of Gen. H. A. Wise's legidri, afterward known as
the Tenth regiment of Virginia cavalry. He was at once pro-
moted to the rank of adjutant of the regiment, as which he served
throughout the war. He participated with honor in the battles
of Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Hagerstown, Md. (where his horse
was killed under him). Big Sewell Mountain, W. Va., Chancellors-
ville, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania Court House and Five Forks,
where again his horse was shot under him. With the mass of
the cavalry he evaded the surrender at Appomattox and made his
way to Johnston's army in North Carolina,^ with which he sur-
rendered at Greensboro and was paroled at Danville in May, 1865.
At the close of his military service, which was characterized
throughout by the true gallantry of a Confederate soldierj he re-
turned to Richmond and studied for the profession of architecture,
in which he has subsequently had a successful career. He is a
member of R. E. Lee camp, No. i, Confederate Veterans, and of
the Association of the army of Northern Virginia.

Lieutenant Henry J. Dobbs, of Amherst, Va., a veteran of
Pickett's division, army of Northern Virginia, was born in Norfolk
county in 1834. Upon the call to arms he enlisted, April 23^ 1861,
in a company which was assigned to the Eighteenth Virginia
infantry, Col. R. E. Withers, as Company E. Enlisting as a pri-
vate he was promoted color sergeant June 27, 1862, and fifteen
months after became lieutenant, the rank in which he served until
the end of the war. In Cocke's brigade of the army, under Beau-
regard, he participated in the first battle of Manassas, and in
George E. Pickett's brigade he took part in the battles of Williams-
burg, Seven Pines, Gaines' Mill and Frayser's Farm. He shared


in the work of Pickett's division at Gettysburg, and in the fight-
ing around Richmond and Petersburg he received three wounds,
was captured a few days before the Confederate capital was aban-
doned and soon afterward paroled. Returning to Cumberland, he
resumed farming as soon as injuries permitted, and later went to
Georgia where he conducted a saw mill for two years. He then
made, his home at Amherst, and, after farming until 1882, he
entered the mercantile business at the town of Amherst. In 1873
he was married to Miss Anna D. Quarles, and they have two

Captain Hugh S. Doggett, of Fredericksburg, Va., a venerable
veteran of the army of Northern Virginia, is the son of Lemuel
Doggett, a soldier of the war of 1812. Tne latter married Sarah
Meredith Doggett in^iSio, and three of their children survive:
L. B. Doggett, of Chicago, late a private of the Thirtieth Vir-
ginia regiment; James M. Doggett, of Spottsylvania county, and
Capt. Hugh S. Doggett. The latter was born at Fredericksburg,
May II, 1816, and was reared there and in that vicinity until he
was sixteen years old, when he entered upon an apprenticeship.
After learning his trade he was thrown out of employment during
the financial crisis of 1837, and, failing to find work in Baltimore
and other cities, he embarked in the grocery trade, which has
been his steady occupation during the past sixty years, except
when in the Confederate service. November 28, 1844, he was
married to Sarah A., daughter of William Burress, of Caroline
county. From his eighteenth year Captain Doggett was a mem-
ber of the volunteer company at Fredericksburg, which became
Company B of the Thirtieth regiment, and with it he went into
service immediately upon the secession of Virginia, as first lieu-
tenant. On the day following the one on which the State went
out of the Union he was in battle at Aquia Creek with Federal
gunboats, and his next battle was at the rout of McDowell's army
at Manassas, July 21, 1861. His regiment was then ordered to
Goldsboro, N. C., where he was on duty until the spring of
1862. At the reorganization, in May, he was elected captain of
Company B, and he commanded^ his company throughout the
Seven Days' battles and the previous fighting about Richmond,
at Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, and all other
battles in which his company participated. At Sharpsburg, he led
twenty-five men into the fight and brought back but five, all the
others being killed or wounded. He himself received three pain-
ful wounds, but, after a furlough of thirty days, resumed com-
mand. On the 4th of April, 1864, on account of his advanced age,
he was detailed as post-commandant and provost-marshal at Fred-
ericksburg, but still retained his captaincy, First Lieut. James Knox
commanding the company during the remainder of its service.
Since the war Captain Doggett has been honored by a magistracy
and a seat in the city council for many years, and has twice held
the office of mayor. His wife died January 13, 1885, and he has but
one child living, Mrs. Fannie A. Scott; but through her this worthy
Confederate veteran has seven grandchildren and one great-grand-

J. A. Dooley, of Bedford City, served during the Confederate
war among the artillerymen who manned the heavy guns in the


{prtifications about Richmond, and though not pfteji called upon
to face the enemy, except toward the last, and altogether with-
out experience in those adventurous marches, raids and hand-to-
hand fighting, which made other commands famous, $tood gu^rd
faithfully and bravely at the Confederate capital, doing their whQle
duty, and playing a necessary and important part in the war for
Southern independence. He was born in Bedford cpunty, Va., in
1B29, was reared there, and renjained in his. native coiintv until he
entered the Confederate service as a private in the Ninth battery,
heavy artillery, Capt. A.. G. Williams commanding. He served
four years in the defense of. Richmond and took an active part in
the battle of Chaffin's Farm, during the aggressjye operation; of
the Federal army north of the James river, in the fall pf 1864. .IJe
went through this service without wounds, and, thpugh sometimes
ill, never was absent from his post or in hospital. At the evacu-
ktibn of Richmond he was taken prisoner and afterward con&j.ed
at Point' Lookout until June, 1865, long after the close of the mili-
tary operations in Virginia. Since the war he has been a resident
6f Bedford City and has mainly been engaged in mercantile busi-
ness, in which he has been quite successful. In 1861; he was mar-
ried to Miss Saluda E. Juter, and they have eight ct^ildren; Albert,
Waverley, Frederick, Will, Lulu, Lelia, LilHe and Addison.

James H. Douthat, of Pulaski ' City, Va., was devoted to the
C6nfedera,te service during the four years' war, except when 4U-
abled by illness. He was born in Pulaski county Apti} 3, 1838, ?ind
enlisted in April, 1861, as a private in Captain Francis' company
of the Forty-fifth regiment. After the first year's service, for which
lie was enlisted, he' was retained by Montgomery county for the
manufacture of shoes for the soldiers of that county, an occupation
for which he was prepared by previous training. Jle continued in
this work through the suiiimer of 1862., and then going to Rich-
mond, became a member of Captain Stinson's company of infantry,
First battalion of reserves, and meanwhile engaged in the manufac-
ture of shoes for the army until he had got out over two thousand
pairs. In July, 1863, he was taken with typhoid fever and was dis-
abled in consequence until October, 1864, when he reported for duty
at Dublin and was enlisted in Swann's battalion of cavalry. He fur-
nished his own mount and served faithfully in southwest Virginia
during the winter pf 1864-65, and later in West Virginia, attached to
the command of Col. Vincent; A. Witcher, under Genersd Sreck-
anridge He continued wi^h this command through the spring of
1865 ^nd, at the time of the surrender, April 9th, wfis pn his way tp
.Tptn General Lee's army when he was informed of its.f:apitula>tion-
He surrendered at Wytheville with Major McDonald. Sinc^ the
•?!pse of hpstilities he has been engaged in the shoe business vrith
mucji, success in the counties of Wythe and Pulfts^i. He was mar-
ried in 1856 to Miss. R! J. Windle, who (Jied May 26, 1891, leav-
ihg nine children; Edw?ird B„ C'em.entine, William H., Cleann,
Marfiaret, John D., Rosalie, Ann Pearl and Charles B.

Richard Pevereux Dpyle, a prominent member of tha legal pro-
fession of Norfolk, Va., is a representative of a patriotic family of
southeastern Virginia which contributed freely to the Confederate
cause. His father, John Edward Doyle, born in county Wexford,


Ireland, in 1813, was the son of Thomas Doyle, a merchant of coun-
ty Wexford, a namesake and cousin of Sir Richard Devereux, the
Irish philanthropist, who was made a knight of St. Gregory by
Pope Pius IX., and belonged to a family distinguished in English
and Irish annals since the Norman conquest. He received a class-
ical education in his native land, and coming to America at the ag6
of eighteen years, made his home at Norfolk, engaged in business
as a merchant and manufacturer, and married the daughter of Ed-
ward Fitzgerald, who held the position of purser in the United
States navy. John Edward Doyle entered heartily into the move-
ment for Southern independence and was mainly instrumental in
the organization of a company of cavalry known as the Sewell's^
Point cavalry, and also as Doyle's cavalry, he having been elected'
captain of the command. With this company he was engaged in
guarding the beach from Sewell's Point to Ocean View, during
l86i. At the end of his year's service, he resigned on account of
advanced age, and the company was assigned to the Second Vir-
ginia cavalry. He survived until 1877. His eldest son, Walter Her-
ron, who bore the name of a great-uncle who for half a century was
identified with the history of Norfolk as a business man of great
wealth and a leader in social life, entered the service in April, 1861,
at the age of sixteen years, as a private in the Norfolk Light Artil-
lery Blues, which was attached to Garnett's battalion in 1863.
He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court
House, Turkey Ridge, and the fighting on the Petersburg lines,
finally being paroled at Appomattox with the rank of sergeant.
Another son, John Edward, Jr., when under eighteen years of age,
accompanied by his cousin, Thomas H. Doyle, made his way
through the Federal lines about Norfolk, and served with the Thir-
teenth Virginia cavalry, until captured near Appomattox. A
brother of the senior Doyle. Walter J. Doyle, served as captain
and quartermaster in the Forty-first Virginia regiment, under Col-
onel (afterward General) Chambliss, to the end of the war. Wil-
liam B. Fitzgerald, a brother of Mrs. Doyle, resigned a lieuten-
ancy in the United States navy and received the same rank in the
Confederate States navy, and died in the service. Innumerable
cousins and connections of the Doyle family served in the Confed-
erate army, among them Maj. Joseph Van Holt Nash of Atlanta,
Ga. Richard Devereux Doyle, sixth of the twelve children of Cap-
tain Doyle, was educated in the schools of Norfolk, at Georgetown
college, and in the academic and law departments of the
university of Virginia, being graduated by the latter in 1871.
For the practice of his profession he removed to Indianapolis, and
there attained such standing that in 1874, through the influence of
the late Vice-President Thomas A. Hendricks and others he was
appointed assistant attorney-general of Indiana, a position he held
for two years. Returning to Norfolk in 1877 he continued the
practice of law, in which he has met with marked success. Here
as in Indiana he has represented some very important interests be-
fore the supreme courts, and with such ability that the result of but
one of these actions has been adverse to his clients. He has served
the city one term as corporation attorney. In political affairs he
has been a prominent worker for the Democratic party, and has


made extensive contributions in the form of newspaper and pam-
phlet publications to the literature of politics and political economy.
One of his latest publications was an article on the Venezuelan ques-
tion in the Virginia Law Register. Upon the rostrum also he has
been an indefatigable worker. In i8^ he was a delegate to the
National convention at Indianapolis, and subsequently was a prom-
inent advocate throughout the State of the ticket there nominated.
In the field of general literature he has published some poems that
have met with popular approval, and has for several years past
made a special study of Napoleon and his times, having in prepara-
tion a historical and critical work on the campaign and battle of
Waterloo. He is member of the State bar association and the
Merrimac club.

John Waters Drew, of Washington, D. C, had the privilege, dur-
ing the war of the Confederacy, to serve as a gallant cavalry officer
in the army of Northern Virginia. He entered the service in May,
1861, joining the volunteer organization formed at Alexandria, Va.,
and called the Beauregard Rifles. This company was mustered in
as Company F of the First Virginia regiment, and he served with
this command until the reorganization of the army about a year
later, when he was commissioned captain of Company F, Twenty-
third Virginia cavalry, a rank he held during the remainder of his
army life. Captain Drew participated in the campaign before Rich-
mond, which included the Seven Days' battles against McClellan;
and in the valley of Virginia, in the commands of Breckinridge and
Imboden, he operated against Sigel in the spring of 1864, partici-
pating in the fighting at New Market, where a signal victory was
won. Under the command of Early, in the following summer, he
took part in the successful actions at Lynchburg and Salem, Va., at
the latter engagement having his horse killed under him. After
the march to Washington he again fought under General Early at
the battle of Winchester, on September ig, 1864, where the army
suffered defeat and he with others fell into the hands of Sheridan.
With the other prisoners of that day he was conveyed to Fort Del-
aware and there confined as a prisoner of war until the close of the

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 89 of 153)