Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 90 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 90 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

war. This long imprisonment was ended by his parole in the spring
of 1865, when he immediately returned to Washington, his native
city. Captain Drew was born at Washington in 1841 and, previous
to the outbreak of war, was educated at the old Columbia college
now known as the Columbian university. Here, taking up again
the duties of civil life, he soon became proficient in the calling of a
pharmacist and embarked in the business of a druggist, which has
since been his occupation. He still endeavors to maintain his com-
radeship with the survivors of the Confederate armies and is an
active member of the Washington association of Confederate vet-

E. J. Driver, of Nansemond county, Va., a descendant of a gallant
colonel of the war of the Revolution^ served in the army of North-
ern Virginia as a soldier in the Thirteenth Virginia cavalry. He
shared the service of this regiment throughout the war, fighting
with Chambliss and W. H. F. Lee in many of the famous battles of
1861 to 1865. In the spirited cavalry encounter at Middleburg he
was twice wounded. His son, Wilson E. Driver, M. D., prominent
in the medical profession at Norfolk, was born in Nansemond coun-


br, October i6, 1870, and was graduated as doctor of medicine in
the class of 1892 at the university of Maryland, during his course of
study also having the advantages of instruction from the noted spe-
cialist, Julian J. Chisholm, of Baltimore, and practice in the hos-
pital of the university and as resident surgeon at the Presbyterian
hospital of Baltimore. In 1894 he made his home at Norfolk, and
devoted himself to the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, tnroat
and nose. In this department of medicine he has already shown a
degree of skill and with such successful results that his practice has
gained extensive proportions. He has contributed several papers
to medical literature and during the session of 1897 of the Western
Ophthalmological, Otological, Laryngological and Rhinological as-
sociation at St. Louis read a paper entitled "A General Considera-
tion of the Etiology and Treatment of Choroiditis Non-Suppura-
tive," which was received with much favor. He is a member of Nor-
fclk medical society, the State medical society, and honorary mem-
ber of the Western medical association, and is surgeon to the Nor-
folk & Western and Seaboard Air Line railroads, St. Vincent hos-
pital, and the Retreat for the Sick. In 1896 Dr. Driver was married
to Lucy Waring Baylor, daughter of Robert P. Baylor, who also
served in the Thirteenth Virginia cavalry from Essex county, and
granddaughter of the late Dr. Robert B. Tunstall, of Norfolk.

William R. Drury, of Norfolk, who rendered valuable service with
the artillery and navy of the Confederate States, was born at Ports-
mouth, July 27, 1838. Before he had reached the age of two years
he was orphaned by the death of his father, William R. Drury, a
native of Scotland, and this sad event was soon followed by the
death of his mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Farant. Thus
deprived of parents in infancy he was reared by his guardian,
George W. Farant, his mother's brother, at that time a prominent
merchant tailor for the navy. He was educated in the Norfolk mil-
itary academy and at the Abbott institute of Georgetown, D. C., un-
til the age of eighteen years, when he began an apprenticeship as
a machinist and engineer. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in
the United artillery of Norfolk, under command of Capt. Thomas
Kevill, and served with that command at Fort Norfolk until the
evacuation. May 10, 1862. He then joined in the movement to Pe-
tersburg, whence he was sent to destroy the Zuni bridge over the
Blackwater, in order to prevent the crossing of that stream by the
Federals. The company was ordered to the front and given charge
of batteries Nos. i and 2, stationed on the farm of the noted James
Minor Botts. During the Seven Days' fighting before Richmond
he served with the famous ironclad railroad battery, and fought in
the battle of Drewry's Bluflf. Subsequently he was detailed by Pres-
ident Davis as an engineer in the navy, and served first in that ca-
pacity on the ironclad North Carolina, at Wilmington, under
Captain Poindexter. After a brief assignment to the Raleigh,
under Commodore Lynch, he returned to the first named vessel,
and was detailed with Captain McCarrick on the tug Equator for
the rescue of the Eugenia, ashore near Fort Fisher. He was on
the Raleigh when that vessel went to pieces, and next held the
position of chief engineer on the flagship Cape Fear. Subse-
quently he was on duty as chief engineer on the g^unboat Pee Dee,
on the Pee Dee river. South Carolina, and as chief engineer of the


navy yard at Pee Dee bridge, where he was serving when Sherman's
army reached that post. He took part in the destruction of the
yard, and escaping capture, made his way to a point near George-
town, S. C, where he and his companions, Cephas Gilbert and
Junius Hanks, put themselves under the protection of Major Buck,
who advised them to surrender to the Federal navy on the Black-
water, the army of Northern Virginia having already been surren-
dered. They accordingly gave themselves up to a Federal gunboat,
and, being soon paroled, Drury and Hanks made their way to
Charleston and Hilton Head, where they were given transportation'
to New York. Returning to Norfolk, Mr. Drury has since
then given his attention to the civil occupations of merchandising,
marine engineering, and the practice of law, winning an influential
place in the community. He was married July 27, i860, to Catherine
Ruth Braithwaite, and they have seven children living: William T.,
Talbot L., Elizabeth R., Anna R., Roberta, Azula V. and Ruth.

Captain Robert R. Duncan, of Culpeper, a gallant officer of the
Sixth Virginia cavalry regiment, is a native of Rappahannock coun-
ty, born April 23, 1833. He is one of three brothers who served in
the Confederate cause. One, James H. Duncan, of the Sixteenth
Mississippi regiment, held the rank of lieutenant-colonel at the close
of the war, and the other, B. F. Duncan, served in the same com-
pany with his brother Robert, until he fell in battle at Cedarville,
near Front Royal, in May, 1862. Captain Duncan was mainly
reared and educated in Culpeper county. He began his active career
by making the journey to California during the excitement following
the discovery of gold, whence, two years later, he returned to
Mississippi and thence to Virginia. Soon afterward he went to
Kansas and was there during the border warfare in which John
Brown was distinguished; and at the outbreak of the war in 1861
he joined the Confederate forces and participated in the battle of
Carthage, Mo. Then returning to his native State, he enlisted
as a private in Company B of the Sixth Virginia cavalry. At the
reorganization of the army he was elected second lieutenant, was
soon promoted first lieutenant, and in the last year of the war was
made captain of his company. He participated in nearly all the im-
portant engagements of his regiment, and was frequently entrusted
with separate command of scouting expeditions, in which he dis-
charged important duties with a skill and daring that elicited the
warm commendation of his superior officers. During the Pennsyl-
vania campaign his regiment had a spirited and successful fight
with the Sixth United States regular cavalry at Fairfield. In his re-
port Major Flournoy, commanding, wrote: "Lieutenant Duncan,
Company B, was conspicuous for his daring, having sabered five
Yankees, running his saber entirely through one and twisting him
from his horse." He did not himself escape injury, being wounded
in the hand at Second Manassas, in the breast at Trevilian's, and at
Tom's Brook receiving a bullet wound in the left arm which neces-
sitated its amputation. He was also captured at the latter fight and
was subsequently held at Fort Delaware until a short time before
the surrender at Appomattox. At the return of peace he disposed
of his property in Kansas and made his permanent home at Cul-
peper, where he has ever since been engaged in farming. He main-
tains a membership in A. P. Hill camp at Culpeper. In 1868 he was


married to Miss Lucy C. Browning, and they have four children:
Maude A., Mildred R., Jay F., and Lucy Russell. By a previous
marriage he has three children: Blanche A., Ada K., and Robert L.

J. Thomas Dunn, adjutant of the Stonevirall camj) of Confederate
Veterans at Portsmouth, and the youngest surviving Confederate
soldier at that city, was born there on October i, 1846. At fifteen
years of age he left the public school to enter the Confederate service
and was twice refused, on account of his youth, before he became a
meinber, on March 4, 1862, of the Norfolk County Rifle Patriots,
which was first organized in i860 and did splendid service through-
out the war. Young Dunn accompanied the company from the
navy yard to Sewell's Point, in March, 1862, where it became Com-
pany F of the Forty-first Virginia regiment, and subsequently was
assigned to Mahone's brigade. During his stay at Sewell's Point
he witnessed the famous conflict between the Virginia and Mon-
itor, but was not engaged until his regiment was thrown into the
fight at Seven Pines, where Company F was particularly distin-
guished for steadiness and bravery. His military record, thus begun,
subsequently included the battles of the Seven Days before Rich-
mond, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg,
Spottsylvania Court House and the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, the
Crater and Yellow Tavern. He was twice captured, first at Strasburg,
Va., but immediately paroled, and at Yellow Tavern, August 19,
1864, he was again taken by the enemy and this time held at Point
Lookout until May, 1865. At the close of the war, in which he had
performed the part of a veteran, he was but eighteen and a half
years of age. He returned to his home without education in the
schools, but with an excellent diploma from the army of Northern
Virginia, and, though without money or a trade he has subsequently
made a successful career. Perfecting himself asa machinist, he has
been occupied in that direction with but little interruption, having
been for twenty-three years connected with the shops of the Sea-
board Air Line railroad at Portsmouth, for a number of years hold-
ing the position of foreman. In municipal affairs and social life he
is active and influential. He has served one term in the city coun-
cil, three terms on the school board and three terms as registrar
of the Third ward. He is a charter member of Stonewall camp, of
which he has been adjutant six years, and is treasurer and trustee;
is trustee and treasurer of the I. O. O. F. lodge, and led in the or-
ganization of Seaside lodge. Knights of Pythias. He is also a mem-
ber of International association of machinists. January 29, 1868, he
was married to Mary E., daughter of Charles Ballentine, and they
have four children living: William H., who has served seven years
in company E, Second battalion; Maria E., wife of G. Hope Tonkin;
Sarah C, wife of Kemper Hankins, and Ernest C. Mr. Dunn is a
son of Thomas G. and Maria (Lloyd) Dunn, both natives of Balti-
more. His father was a seaman and engineer of Scotch descent.

William Logan Dunn, M. D., of Glade Spring, Va., was born near
that town, September 15, 1839, the son of Dr. Samuel Dunn, a prom-
inent physician in that region of Virginia for sixty years, whose
wife was a granddaughter of Maj. William Edmondson, who
commanded the regiment from Washington county in the Revolu-
tionary battle of King's Mountain. The paternal grandfather of
Dr. Dunn was Lieut. William Dunn, an officer of Gen. Anthony


Wayne's brigade. Dr. Dunn was educated at Emory-Henry col-
lege, and was attending lectures at Jefferson medical college, Phila-
delphia, when the war opened. He was a member of the Washing-
ton Mounted Rifles, organized in i860, and was enlisted under Capt.
William E. Jones, afterward general, in April, 1861. The company
became Company D of the First Virginia cavalry, Col. J. E. B.
Stuart. Joining Johnston's army, he served in all the skirmishes
which covered the march to Manassas, and on reaching that battle-
field he was ordered to report for duty on the medical staff. But
riding up to the front to observe the fight, he was ordered by Gen-
eral Beauregard to report the condition at Blackburn's ford, and
was then sent by General Johnston to observe the situation lower
down Bull run. While on this duty he witnessed the attack of Gen.
Kirby Smith upon the Federal flank. Then riding to the front
with Stuart he carried dispatches to Johnston that night announcing
the demoralization of McDowell's army. Afterward he advanced as
a scout to within sight of the Federal capital, at Falls church, Mun-
son's hill and Bailey's Cross roads. He held his post as a picket
when his company was ambuscaded at Lunensville and was one of
the boys in gray from which Fitz John Porter made a narrow es-
cape at Flint Hill. W. E. Jones at this time became colonel of the
regiment, and being determined to feel the enemy in his front, cap-
tured a body of their pickets. When Johnston withdrew from
Manassas to the peninsula, the cavalry halted at the Rappahannock
and the First cavalry recrossed and in a dash at the enemy cap-
tured a considerable number of the Eighth Illinois cavalry, after
which they left Dunn and his comrade, Charles Delaney, to scout
on the enemy's side, a duty which they performed so well as to win
official mention by General Stuart. Meantime Dr. Dunn had also
gained some fame in treatment of camp fever, and at the expiration
of his year's enlistment he was transferred to the medical depart-
ment and stationed at general hospital No. 4, to study surgerj' un-
der Dr. J. B. Read. He graduated in" April, 1863, and after declin-
ing several requests of infantry colonels for his service, yielded to
the invitation of Colonel Mosby in July, and joined his battalion
with the rank of assistant surgeon. A few days later he gave surgi-
cal attention to Mosby, who was wounded at Gooden's Tavern, and
brought him safely back to the Confederate lines, though several
Federal troops were hunting for him. Twice afterward he rendered
medical service to the gallant partisan leader. But his professional
duties did not prevent his participating in nearly all the fights of
the Forty-third battalion. He was with Major Richards late in the
fall of 1864 when nine of Mosby's men brought out twenty-seven
Michigan cavalrymen, including Captain Helbner, and, as several
of the captives were Masons, the doctor persuaded Major Richards
to have them sent direct to Richmond and not to Mosby's head-
quarters, some prisoners having been sent out before Captain Helb-
ner was captured. On September 3, 1864, he was with Mosby near
Halltown, and he and Flynn were sent to capture a train of ambu-
lances, which they left unmolested on account of the wounded men
they carried. The same men, with a comrade, a mile below, created
a stampede in a Federal command, captured a Federal bandwagon
and band and started for the Shenandoah with it, but were pursued
by a squadron of the enemy. Dr. Dunn and Flynn halted to fight


them in order to give Mohler a chance to escape. Mohler disguised
himself and deceived the enemy by a report that the woods were full
of Confederates in the direction they were going. In February,
1865, Dunn followed Colonel Chapman to the northern neck of Vir-
ginia, while there was promoted surgeon and, on account of his val-
nable service, was ordered by the war department to keep Privates
Wallace, Jett, and "Commodore" Payne, and remain in that region.
After receiving news of the fall of Richmond, he, in company with
Lieutenant Murphy, rejoined Mosby in time to be at the disband-
ment at Salem, Fauquier county, April 21, 1865. Since the war
Surgeon Dunn has been engaged very successfully in the medical
practice at Glade Spring. He treasures a number of interesting
mementoes of his service, among which are the instruments he used
in extracting a ball from Colonel Mosby, those used in dressing the
wounds of Colonel Turney, Colonel George and Major Buchanan,
and documents bearing the signatures of Stonewall Jackson and
Jefferson Davis.

William Purnell Dupuy, a prominent citizen of Roanoke, Va.,
ex-member of the legislature and postmaster, served gallantly in
his youth as a trooper in the cavalry of the army of Northern Vir-
ginia. He was born in Charlotte county in 1S4S, and, when five
years of age, was taken by his parents, on their removal, to Prince
Edward county, where he was reared and prepared for Hampden-
Sidney college. He left that institution in March, 1863, for a ca-
reer under the gallant "Jeb" Stuart. Entering the service as a
private in the Third regiment of cavalry, he participated in the
fights at Brandy Station, the raid around Meade's army into Penn-
sylvania, the third day at Gettysburg, Yellow Tavern, the engage-
ments about Fredericksburg, in one of which, in Fauquier county,
October 9, 1863, he was shot in the head, causing three months' dis-
ability; all the cavalry engagements with Grant's army in the spring
of 1864, two battles at Winchester, the affair at Tom's Brook, Octo-
ber 9, 1864, when he was again disabled, this time for two months,
by a gunshot wound in the shoulder; the fight at Port Republic,
Rosser's raid to Beverly, W. Va., Five Forks, and the fightmg on
the retreat to Appomattox, including Sailor's Creek. At the time
of the surrender he was half way between the Appomattox depot
and Court House, and was paroled at Farmville, in June, 1865.
This gallant career was closed in his twentieth year. He taught
school during the year following the close of hostilities, and then,
his father having died, he occupied the home farm and managed it
until 1890, when he made his residence at Roanoke, having pre-
viously engaged in the real estate business at that city. While a
resident of Prince Edward county, he was elected, in the fall of
188s, to the State legislature and was subsequently twice re-elected,
serving with honor and influence. As a citizen of Roanoke he is
held in like esteem, and in 1894 he was appointed postmaster of the

Captain H. H. Dyer, second lieutenant-commander of Cabell-
Graves camp, Danville, Va., was born in Henry county, December
16, 1833, the son of Hugh N. and Ruth A. (Draper) Dyer, of that
county, of which the father was a prominent official. Captain Dyer
was reared upon a farm, became engaged in mercantile pursuits,
and had served as captain and major in the State militia prior to the


beginning of war in 1861. He then enlisted, June i, 1861, as a pri-
vate in the Henry Guards, which became Company H, Twenty-
fourth Virginia infantry, and the next fall was elected captain. De-
clining re-election on account of failing health, in the spring of
1862 he was succeeded by Capt. O. M. Barrow, but he returned to
the company as a private not long afterward arid fought at the bat-
tle of Second Manassas, where he was wounded in the left Side,
compelling his remaining at home until the following November.
Again joining the company, he was promoted first lieutenant, arid
soon after the battle of GettysDurg, which he witnessed but could
not take part in on account of illness, he was commissioned captaili
of Company B of his regiment. In these various ranks he fought
in the battles of Blackburn's Ford, first and second Manassas, Wil-
liamsburg, Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, Drewry's Bluff, Five
Forks and Sailor's Creek. In the latter disastrous affair he was cap-
tured, and from then until June i8th was a prisoner of war, main-
ly at Johnson's island. In the fall of 1865 he visited Missouri arid
"Texas, but returned to Henry county a year later and embarked in
business. Since 1869 he has been prominent in business affairs at

Charles Peter Eanes, of Petersburg, a Confederate who had ah
interesting career in both army and navy, was born at Petersburg
in 1843, the son of German EaneS, a farmer of Chesterfield county,
who died previous to 1861. In May, 1861, being then seveftteefi
years of age, Mr. Eanes enlisted in the Archer Rifles, a volunteer
company, afterward assigned as Company K to the Twelfth Vir-
ginia regiment of infantry. His first service was at Fort Powhatan,
on the James, after which he was stationed at Craney island, near
Norfolk. Early in 1862 he enlisted in the Confederate navy and
was assigned to one of the vessels at Roanoke island under Com-
modore Lynch. Here he took part in the gallant defense made
against Burnside's expedition, until his ship was sunk in the fir^t
day's engagement, when the crew was transferred to a schooner,
mounting five guns, in which they sailed up the Pasquotank river
to Elizabeth City and made a second stand urider the guns of a
Confederate battery. Here again they were crushed by supericir
strength, and Eanes and his comrades, after they had abandoned
their vessel, made their way through the Dismal Swamp, coming
out at Camden Court House, and thence making their way to South
Mills, took a steamer for Norfolk. After a short visit to his hom6,
Mr. Eanes returned to Norfolk and was one of the crew of the
Virginia in her first trip down Hampton Roads, in which the
Cumberland was sunk and the Congress captured. He was then
sent to the naval hospital, but, returning to the Virginia, hp
was upon her in the last trip, under fire of Fortress Monroe and thfc
Rip-rap batteries, when she sought to draw the Monitor into an-
other engagement, but failed on account of the retreat of the Federal
ironclad. He was one of the crew, when it was determined to
lighten the Virginia so that she might steam up the James river,
that worked all night for that purpose, and he finally left the famous
ironclad when she was blown up by her own men. After this event
Mr. Eanes returned to his old infantry command arid participated in
the Seven Days' battles before Richmond, Chancellorsville and oth-
er important engagements, though during a considerable part of the


tme disabled by severe illness. In 1864, upon the requisition of
ti^^ president of the Petersburg railroad, he was assigned to service
upQn that road, in which he remained until the close of hostilities.
3mce then he has been for many years in charge of the planing mill
and bo? factory at that city and (or two years in charge of the
lf^dg;e force on the Weldon railroad. In 1894 he was elected com-
mis^pner of revenue for the city. He is a valued member of A. P.
Hill c?mp,|Cpnfederat;e Veterans.

Gabriel £|dmonstoq, a citizen pf Washington who rendered, valu-
able seifvice to the Confederate States, was born in that city in the
year 1839. Es^tjy in April, 1861, hc entered the Confederate service,
4S a metnber pf an independent command, and participated in the
]^^ninsular campaign with this organization, taking part in the en-
gskgement with gunboats at DrewJy's Blufl^ tihe battle of Seven
Pines, and skirmishing on the river with Federal gunboats. In
June he enlisted in Company F of the Forty-first Virginia regiment
and fought at Malvern Hill, after which he was promoted color
bearer. He was with his command and participated in the battles of
Secqnd Manassas, South Mountain and Shs^rpsburg. At the latter
engagement he was wounded, and, after lying in field hospital about
tep days, was sent to Richmond, where he remained, disabled, until
the spring of 1863. He was then pronounced unfit for infantry ser-
vice and he made an effort to join the cavalry, but, failing to obtain
s^ horse, entered the naval service on Chesapeake bay, under the
command of Col. Edwin G. Lee and, subsequently, of John V. Bell.
He continued in this service, operating in open boats in expeditions
aj^ainst the Federal commerqe, until he was captured and sent in
irp^is to Fort litcHenry. After he had been kept there in close con-
finement for two wee^s, he succeeded in making his escape and,
Ctpssiog the Potomac at the mouth of Monocacy creek, reported to
Liieutenant Parker. By the latter he was sent to Richmond for
naval supplies and while there he entered the secret service of the
government. While on this duty he was again captured in the fall
of 18^, in Fauquier courtty. and taken in irons to Alexandria and
thence to Old Capitol prison and later to Elmira, N. Y., where he

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 90 of 153)