Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 93 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 93 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Fannie Santos, Virginia Diana and Charles Antonio. A brother-
in-law, Walter T. Santos, is associated with Mr. Etheridge under
the firm name of James E. Etheridge & Co.

William McKendrie Evans, of Richmond, Va., was born at that
city. February i, 1847. His father was of English birth and his
mother of Irish-American parentage. Being well-to-do, they gave
young Evans the advantages of the best schools then attainable,
both at Richmond and in the North, and he was attending an
academy at Philadelphia when the trouble between the States
approached a crisis in the spring of 1861. Satisfied that tremend-
ous events were close at hand, he left school in April and arrived
at home on the day before the convention voted for the ordinance
of secession. Though much under the age at which volunteers


were accepted, he had a strong desire for military service, which
led him to enroll himself with one of the three junior military
organizations of the city, the "Junior Volunteers." His company
was the first to assemble for action on the memorable Sunday
when Richmond anxiously watched for the Pawnee to steam up
to the wharfs and open fire on the city. In such a state of affairs
study was out of the question, and, having lost both his parents,
the spirit of unrest had full sway, and business was more acceptable
than school. In the fall of 1861, when it was determined to form
companies, battalions and regiments of men over the age of forty-
five and boys above sixteen years, young Evans, though still under
the required age, was elected second lieutenant of one of the com-
panies. He served in the city of Richmond until one month after
the date of his commission, March, 1862, and then, desirous of
more active duty, resigned his commission and enlisted as a pri-
vate in the Parker battery, then organizing with nine other bat-
teries at Camp Lee. The history of the "Parker battery" is well
worth study — a battery of boys with the records of men. Early
in his service he was wounded, May 30th, by a shot through the
right leg, and being sent home on sick leave, was not able to
rejoin his command until after it had crossed the Potomac for
the Maryland campaign. With his battery he fought at Sharps-
burg, and was one of a volunteer section which returned to the
battlefield as a "forlorn hope," at the request of Col. Stephen
D. Lee. Subsequently he was detailed as courier at the head-
quarters of Colonel Lee's battalion, and after the promotion of Lee
to general, he continued with his successor. Col. E. P. Alexander,
until the spring of 1863, participating, meanwhile, in the battle of
Fredericksburg. Again, with his battery, he fought on General
Jackson's skirmish line at Chancellorsville, May I, 1863, with the
advance guard May 2d, and on the main line May 3d. In July he
returned to duty at battalion headquarters and served in that ca-
pacity at the battle of Gettysburg, and with the rear guard at
the subsequent crossing of the Potomac river. His next impor-
tant service was with Longstreet's corps in Tennessee, where he
was present at every action from Sweetwater to Knoxville, in-
cluding the affairs at Bean Station and Campbell Station. During
the winter of 1863-64 he was engaged in outpost duty, then partici-
pated in the campaign from the Wilderness to Hewlett House,
served in the defense of Richmond until the evacuation, and on
the retreat fought and was captured at Sailor's Creek, April 6,
1865. This unfortunate event resulted in his imprisonment at Point
Lookout until June 20th, from the effects of which he was an invalid
until the following wmter. Then returning to civil life, he devoted
himself to business with the same fidelity which characterized his
service in the field. He is now serving his twenty-third year as
office manager for a large wholesale house. About fifteen years
ago Mr. Evans joined the Richmond Light Infantry Blues as a
private, and was promoted through the positions of corporal and
sergeant to the rank of lieutenant. Then receiving appointment
to the brigade staff as commissary of subsistence, he was pro-
moted adjutant-general and chief of staff, which has been his rank
during the past nine years.

William R. Ezell, M. D., of Gholsonville, was born in Bruns-


wick county, Va., the son of Buckner D. Ezell, a worthy descend-
ant of one of the oldest families of the State. He was educated
at Atlanta, Ga., and professionally at Jeflferson medical college,
Philadelphia, and the medical department of the university oi
Virginia, being graduated by the former institution in 1861. In
March, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Neblett's heavy artillery.
Smith's battalion, which was stationed on the Richmond and
Petersburg lines during the war. Soon after his enlistment he
was promoted to lieutenant. For some time he was in command
of a battery at Drewry's blufif and at Howlett's bluff, and was
for. a long time engaged in constant artillery fighting. After the
evacuation of Richmond he participated in the battle at Sailor's
Creek, and was among the many who were captured at that place.
For six weeks afterward he was confined in a dungeon at the Old
Capitol prison, and thence was transferred to Johnson's island,
where he was held until July, 1865. On his return home he re-
sumed the practice of his profession, in which he has since con-
tinued. He is widely known as a skillful and successful physician,
and is also prominent in his community by reason of his large
land holdings and manufacturing interests. He was married, in
1880, to Eva, daughter of Josiah Gregg, of Texas, a kinswoman
of the well-known Bishop Gregg ard Gen. John Gregg, who
fell at Petersburg. They have one child living, Gregg Ezell, born
in 1881.

Charles Falger, of Wytheville, a veteran of the Salem artillery,
is a native of Prussia, born January 28, 1828. He came to America
in i8S4, and was first at Salem on November 3 of that year, where
he found employment with Col. A. Hupp. The latter organized
the Salem "Flying Artillery," in March, 1861, and Mr. Falger
became a member of the company, which was known throughout
the war as the Salem artillery or Hupp's battery. The command
was first on duty at Craney island, below Norfolk, where, about
a year after his enlistment, he was selected as one of the gun-
crew of the famous ironclad Merrimac He served, as loader
of the second gun, in the fight of March 8, when the invincible
Confederate ironclad destroyed the United States frigates Con-
gress and Cumberland. Cronin, an English gunner, put the
first shot into the doomed Congress, whose brave crew went
down, fighting to the last. Falger was also in the fight with the
Monitor next day and remained with the Merrimac until
after it was destroyed. He participated in the gallant fight against
the Federal fleet from Drewry's bluff and then returned to his
battery, with which he served during the remainder of the war.
His battery, with the Second and Third Richmond Howitzers, the
Rockbridge and the Powhatan artillery, formed the battalion of
Col. J. Thompson Brown, later commanded by Colonel Hard-
away, and, during 1862, was in the reserve artillery commanded
by General Pendleton. Afterward, in the command of Colonel
Crutchfield, it was attached to the Second army corps and fought
to the end under Ewell and Gordon. It rendered valuable ser-
vices on many occasions, including the battles of Fredericksburg,
Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Mine Run, and was present at the
surrender at Appomattox, after participating in the defense of
Richmond and Petersburg, and surviving the perils of retreat.


During the years that have since intervened, Mr. Falger has been
successfully engaged in business in southwest Virginia and

Walter W Faulkner, a prosperous citizen of Newport News,
enjoys the distinction of having been the youngest member of
Colonel Mosby's cavalry and one of the youngest sol-
diers of the Confederacy. He was born at Winchester, Va., Oc-
tober i6, 1849, and was educated at the Virginia college, a military
school at that place. His father was Isaac H. Faulkner, a native of
Maryland, who was in successful business as a merchant at Win-
chester, and died in 1894, at the age of seventy-eight years. His
grandfather Faulkner came to America, about the time of the
Revolution, as sailing master of a British man-of-war, and, being
in sympathy with the colonists, espoused their cause and was in
the Continental service until the close of the war, when he settled
in Maryland. The mother of Walter W. was Julia A., daughter
of John Frederick, of Virginia, but a German by nativity, who
was trained as a soldier in the German army, and, serving under
Gen. Sam Houston in the Texan war for independence, received
a wound at San Jacinto which caused his death. The maternal
grandfather of Mrs. Faulkner was Conrad Kremer, a soldier of
the Revolution, who marched with Morgan to Quebec and was
captured in the battle before that city. Walter Faulkner, studying
quietly in the institute at his native town, had no idea of being
called upon to emulate the warlike valor of his ancestors until
the country was aroused by the demonstration made against Har-
per's Ferry by John Brown in 1859. He then, though only eleven
years of age, accompanied the cadets to the threatened point and
shared their service. At the outbreak of more serious troubles
in 1861 he was too young to be admitted to the ranks, but was
compelled to remain in school through 1861, 1862 and 1863.
Finally, about July i, 1864. he became enrolled in the command
of Colonel Mosby, at Upperville, and participated in the daring
and romantic operations of that body of troopers until in Febru-
ary, 1865, he was captured at Hillsboro, Va., while acting as a
scout on detached duty. After this misfortune he was carried to
Fort McHenry, Md., and there confined as a prisoner of war, with
many other gallant sons of the South for several long and weary
months. It was not until July 4, 1865, that he was paroled and
permitted to return to his home. He soon afterward went from
Winchester to Lynchburg and found employment with his brother
as clerk in a drug store, and, deciding to embrace the profession
of medicine, studied in that line, besides acquiring a practical
knowledge of pharmacy. In the fall of 1867 he entered the med-
ical school of the university of Maryland, but, after taking one
course of lectures, was compelled to abandon his professional am-
bition on account of a total loss of the powers of the olfactory
nerve. For several years subsequently he was engaged in business
with his father at Winchester, and during this period he served
with the rank of captain upon the regimental staff of Cql. William
L. Bumgartner, of the State militia. In 1884 he embarked in the
lumber and fruit business in Florida, and in 1887 entered the lumber
trade at Baltimore as the partner of H. Clay Tunis, under the firm
name of Tunis & Faulkner. His residence at Newport News began


in 1894, and since that date he has conducted with remarkable suc-
cess one of the leading retail grocery establishments of the city.
He is highly regarded as an enterprising citizen, is prominent in
the Masonic order as past master, past high priest and past emi-
nent commander, Knights Templar, and is commander of Magru-
der camp. United Confederate Veterans. His present wife, Anna
M. (Baker) Willey, to whom he was married at Baltimore, No-
vember 8, 1893 is a member of Bethel chapter. Daughters of the
Confederacy. Mr. Faulkner's first and second marriages were
blighted by death, leaving him but one child, Mary Julia Rebecca,
born in 1886.

Captain John Alexander Fauver, of Augusta county, Va., a gal-
lant officer of the Fifty-second Virginia volunteer infantry, was
born of German ancestry in Augusta county, Va., in 1840. He was
reared and educated in his native county, and in July, 1861, entered
the Confederate service as a private in Company F of the Fifty-
second regiment. In May, 1862, he was elected junior second lieu-
tenant, in 1863 was promoted first lieutenant, and, under the con-
solidation act of 1864, was promoted captain of his company, in
which rank he served until the end of the struggle, at that time also
serving as acting-adjutant of the regiment. He served with dis-
tinction under the command of Stonewall Jackson in the Valley of
the Shenandoah, at Allegheny, McDowell, Winchester, Strasburg,
Harrisonburg, Cross Keys, Port Republic and Front Royal. After
this active participation in the immortal deeds of the Valley cam-
paign of 1862, he followed Jackson to Richmond and fought in the
defense of the capital at Gaines' Mill and Malvern Hill. Subse-
quently he was engaged at Cedar Mountain and the two battles at
Fredericksburg, the defeat of Milroy at Winchester, the battles of
the Wilderness and Spottsylvania and the defense of Lynchburg,
served with Early in the movement through Maryland against
Washington, fighting at Monocacy (where he came in possession of
a Federal sword), and in the demonstration against the United
States capital. Then he served in the trenches at Petersburg and
in the gallant sortie which resulted in the capture of Fort Sted-
man, and on the retreat was engaged at Deep Creek and Appo-
mattox. Captain Fauver was wounded July 20, 1864, four miles
north of Winchester, receiving a ball which lodged under the left
shoulder blade and was not extracted until 1869. After the close
of this notable career as a soldier. Captain Fauver returned to
Augusta county and was engaged in farming for four ye^rs. Then,
becoming interested in railroad construction, he followed that
occupation in Virginia and West Virginia until about the year
187s, when he made his home at Staunton and embarked in the
grocery trade, in which he has since been engaged, with marked
success. He was married in 1873 to Margaret C, daughter of
John H. Will, of Augusta county, and they have five children,
Richard A., Addie J. (wife of J. Luther Henderson, of Staunton),
John A., Katie W., and Harry S.

Captain John Charles Featherston, since the war an honored
citizen of Lynchburg, Va., was born at Athens, Ala., in 1837. He
was reared there and educated, preparatory to entering the mili-
tary institute at Frankfort, Ky., where he pursued his studies for
three years. Then, returning to his Alabama home, he entered
the Confederate service in April, 1861, as lieutenant of Company


F of the Ninth Alabama regiment of infantry. The command was
soon called to Virginia, where his regiment made the forced march
from Winchester to the first battle of Manassas. He, with his
regiment, was in the siege of Yorktown. Just after the. Seven
Days' battles before Richmond, where his regiment participated
in the Fourth brigade of Longstreet's division, under the imme-
diate command of Brig.-Gen. Richard H. Anderson, he was pro-
moted captain of Company F. With this rank he served through-
out the remainder of the war, frequently acting as field officer of
his regiment, for some time as assistant adjutant-general of the
brigade and for a considerable period on the staff of General An-
derson as provost marshal of his division. His record was a most
honorable and gallant one, embracing participation in the battles
of First Manassas, Williamsburg (at that time being adjutant of
his regiment). Second Manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellors-
ville, Gettysburg (where he was severely wounded), Bristoe Sta-
tion, the defense of Petersburg, including the battle of the Crater.
He was a second time wounded, but fortunately only slightly,
while serving before Petersburg. His military career ended with
his parole at Decatur, Ala., in May, 1865, which he still has in his
possession. While the war was still in progress he was married,
at Lynchburg, Va., in January, 1864, to Miss Letitia Preston Floyd,
daughter of the late Dr. N. W. Floyd, of that city, and, after the
close of hostilities, he made his home in the Old Dominion,
where he is held in high esteem. During both the administrations
of President Cleveland he held the position of agricultural statis-
tician for the State of Virginia, and is at this time a member of
the Virginia legislature.

Lieutenant George B. Finch, president of the Bank of Mecklen-
burg, Boydton, Va., is a native of that county, and was educated
at Randolph-Macon college, receiving the degree of A. M. in
i860. He entered the Confederate service as a private in Company
E, Fourteenth Virginia regiment, in May, 1861, and was promoted
to lieutenant early m 1862. He was first under the command of
General Magruder, on the peninsula, and was for some time sta-
tioned on Jamestown island. In the fall of 1861 he was disabled
by an attack of typhoid fever, but was able to rejoin his regiment,
then a part of Armistead's brigade, in winter quarters at Suffolk.
Subsequently he participated in the battles of Seven Pines, Second
Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg, and in the spring of
1863 serve'd with Longstreet's command in the siege of Suffolk.
At the battle of Gettysburg he commanded his company, and
went with them up the slope of Cemetery hill, in the famous
charge of Pickett's division, and fell within a short distance of the
stone wall with a severe wound in the hip. He crawled to a pile
of rails for shelter and, under the screen of night, managed to
regain the Confederate lines. After experiencing great suffering
he reached the hospital at Richmond, only to experience another
attack of typhoid fever, which prevented him from getting home
for several months. His gallantry at Gettysburg received the hon-
orable mention of his superior officers and he was offered promo-
tion to captain, in case he could return to the active service, but
this the nature of his wound prevented. He was compelled to use
crutches until 1868, when the minie ball which caused his wound


was removed. After peace was restored he studied law in the
university of Virginia and embarked in the practice of his profes-
sion at Boydton. The duties of the presidency of the Bank of
Mecklenburg, to which he was elected in 1872, and the care of his
estate on the Roanoke river, now engage his attention. In 1887
he was married to Alice Marrow, of Mecklenburg county.

Captain Alexander N. Finks, of Criglersville, Madison county,
Va., commander of Kemper-Strother-Fry camp. Confederate vet-
erans, was born in that county, August 23, 1835. In the spring of
1861 he left the mercantile business, in which he was then engaged,
to take up arras for the defense of Virginia, and was first assigned
to duty at Culpeper as provost marshal. Eight months later he
became first lieutenant of Company L, Tenth Virginia infantry,
and, upon the reorganization of the army, he was promoted cap-
tain of the company. He was identified with the gallant record
of his company in every campaign and battle from First Manassas
to Spottsylvania Court House. In the latter battle, during the
disastrous attack upon Johnson's division, May 12, 1864, he was
captured and for nearly fourteen months afterward was a prisoner
of war. He was first confined at Fort Delaware and thence, in
August, 1864, was transported to Morris island, S. C, where, after
being held on the prison ship Crescent for six weeks, he was landed
on Morris island and placed in the stockade between Batteries
Wagner and Gregg and guarded by negroes of the Fifty-fourth
Massachusetts. He was one of the six hundred Confederate officers
sent to the department of South Carolina for retaHation and, for
forty-one days held in camp under fire of the opposing batteries,
with ten ounces of meal per day for rations. In October he was
carried to Fort Pulaski, Ga., and thence to Hilton Head, where
he spent the winter. Thence being returned to Fort Delaware, he
was paroled there after the capitulation of General Lee, June 27,
1865. One of his companions during the entire prison life was
Lieut. Charles F. Crisp, of the same regiment, afterward the dis-
tinguished speaker of the United States House of Representatives.
Since the close of hostilities Captain Finks has been engaged in
the profession of teaching and surveying. He is organizer of the
Farmers' alliance for Madison county and chairman of the Dem-
ocratic county committee. In 1858 fie was married to Miss J. F.
Story, and they have five sons living.

James A. Fishburn, a well-known business man of Roanoke,
Va., who rendered efficient service in the Confederate cause, is a
native of Franklin county, where he was born in 1840 and reared
and educated. Going to Alliance, Texas, in i860, he entered the
military service in that State at the outbreak of war, becoming
a member of Company F of the Fourth Texas regiment. Shortly
afterward he secured a transfer to Virginia, and the Fourth regi-
ment also being sent to that field of war, he re-enlisted in Com-
pany F in April, 1862. He served as a private of this command
during the remainder of the war, but in the early part of 1863 he
was detailed to the quartermaster's department, and his services
after that date were rendered in the very essential duty of caring
for the army. He was stationed at Big Lick, now Roanoke, one
year, and after that at Lynchburg, as headquarters, but his duties
in obtaining forage, etc., made it necessary for him to travel

Va 55


through all parts of the Confederate States. He was paroled at
Rocky Mount in May, 1865, and he then engaged in farming in
Franklin county two years. During the following nine years he
was agent of the Louisville & Nashville railroad at Mitchellsburg,
Ky. After spending two years at Danville, Ky., he returned to
Virginia and engaged in business at Roanoke. He has since then
been active in various lines of trade at that city. While a citizen
of Kentucky he was assistant postmaster at Mitchellsburg two
years, and served as road supervisor and school trustee in Boyle
county. For six years he was overseer of. the poor at Roanoke.
September 13, 1864, he was married to Mary Louise Harriett,
daughter of the late Fleming Boone, of Franklin county, Va., and
they have eight children. Four brothers of Mr. Fishburn served
in the Confederate armies, Jacob W., Ferdinand B., who died as a
prisoner of war at Camp Chase, Ohio; Peter H., and Reuben H.,
the only survivor.

William A. Fiske, a veteran of Pickett's division, army of North-
ern Virginia, now proprietor of an extensive printing establish-
ment at Portsmouth, Va., was born in 1840 at that city. His
father, David D. Fiske, who founded the business now conducted
by his son, was a prominent citizen of Portsmouth, editor and
proprietor of the "Daily Transcript," and mayor during the yellow
fever epidemic of 1855-56. His grandfather, William Fiske, was a
native of New Hampshire, and a descendant of Baron Simon
Fiske, of England. William A. Fiske was educated at Webster's
military institute at Portsmouth, and the institute of Albert C.
Roe at Cornwall-on-the-Hudson, after which he prepared for ex-
amination for entrance to the United States naval engineer service.
But at this period the war broke out and he went into the Con-
federate army as a private of the Marion Rifles, Company B of the
Third Virginia infantry regiment. This company was disbanded
in May, 1861, by Colonel Pryor, because fourteen men had exer-
cised their right to vote against the ordinance of secession,
though at the same time testifying their readiness to follow as sol-
diers the decision of the State. Private Fiske joined after the re-
organization. Before the evacuation of Norfolk, the company
joined Magruder at Yorktown and engaged in the Peninsular cam-
paign, the battles of Seven Pines, Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill,
Frayser's Farm and Cold Harbor. At Malvern Hill his brother
Melzar, only sixteen years of age, was fatally wounded and died
two days later at the Seabrook hospital, Richmond. Private
Fiske remained with his company until captured, barefooted, in
the first Maryland campaign; was confined at Fort Delaware and
exchanged in time to rejoin his command in the operations near
Suffolk, Va., and in the following summer marched into Pennsyl-
vania. The company had but fifteen men when it reached the field
of Gettysburg, and of these nine were killed and disabled by the
intense heat and the enemy's artillery fire during the five hours
they lay waiting for the order to assault Cemetery Hill. The re-

Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 93 of 153)