Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 95 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 95 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


878 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

rections than those pertaining to private business, he serves as
trustee of the Miller orphan asylum, has been in the city council
ten or twelve years, and has served sixteen years or more upon
the school board, of which he is now chairman, and is one of the
board of governors of the Lynchburg public library. Fraternally
he is connected with the Masonic order. Major Franklin was
married, in 1861, to a daughter of Colonel Bennett, and seven
children were born to them. His wife died in 1876 and he was
married in 1880 to Mrs. Neal.

Captain James Franklin, Jr., of Lynchburg, Va., was born in
Pittsylvania county in 1839, at the plantation home of his family,
where he was reared and educated. Losing his father by death in
1855, he made his home at Lynchburg in the following year. In
1859 he became a member of the Home Guards, organized Novem-
ber 8th, and with that famous organization was mustered into the
service of the State on April 24, 1861, as Company G of the
Eleventh Virginia infantry, and went to join the army of Beaure-
gard upon the plains of Manassas. His gallant service was re-
warded by steady promotion, on May 7, 1861, to corporal; in July,
1861, to sergeant; in April, 1862, to orderly-sergeaiit; and in Oc-
tober, 1862, to second lieutenant of Company G. He served in
the latter rank until March, 1863, when he accepted the position
of quartermaster of the Eleventh regiment, with the rank of cap-
tain, as which he continued until April, 1864, when he resigiied
from that rank and duty to take his old place with the company
as second lieutenant. After participating in the heroic fighting and
the glorious victory at Manassas, July 21, 1861, he was transferred
with his command to Richmond, to oppose the advance of Mc-
Clellan. On May sth he was engaged in the battle of Williains-
burg, and here received a severe wound in the left arm, which
has disabled him for life. Notwithstanding this injury, he per-
sisted in the struggle, afterward participated in the battles of Fred-
ericksburg, Va., Plymouth, N. C., and Drewry's Bluff, in April,
1864, when he was again wounded, this time in the breast, iiicreas-
ing his disabilities to such an extent that he was forced to accept
an honorable discharge and retire from the active service. Re-
turning to Lynchburg, he surrendered there in June, 1865, and then
turned his energies to the affairs of civil life. In 1866 he and his
brother Jacob formed a partnership in the grocery business, under
the firm name of Franklin Bros. During the years that have since
elapsed he has been an honored and influential citizen of Lynch-
burg, sat in the city council in 1874 and 1875, and for four years,
beginning in 1876, served as magistrate. Captain Franklin's family
contributed nobly to the army of the Confederate States, five of
his brothers enlisting. John A. Franklin, of Bogata, Tex.,
served in General Price's army and ranked as major at the sur-
render; William E. Franklin was a private in the Second Virginia
cavalry, Company I, and died in service from disease; Jacob H.
Franklin, now living at Lynchburg, who went out in the Eleventh
Virginia infantry and ranked as major in General Longstreet's
corps; Thomas C. Franklin, who served throughout the war as a
private in the Second Virginia cavalry and died at Lynchburg in
1871, at the time holding the office of city sergeant; Charles C.
Franklin, who enlisted in Company C, Forty-second Virginia in-
fantry, and was first lieutenant when killed at Chancellorsville in



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 879

May, 1863. In 1866 Mr. Franklin married Miss Lucy A. Mayse,
a daughter of Robert Mayse. They have had two children, William
Robert, who died in 1892, and Margaret G. Mr. Franklin's wife died
in 1874, and he married for his second wife, Miss Bird Anderson,
by whom he had one son that died in infancy. His second wife
died in 1878.

William H. Fray, of Culpeper, Va., a survivor of Pickett's Vir-
ginia division of the army under Lee, was born in Madison
county, March 31, 1844. He received his education in the "old
field schools," until he had reached the age of seventeen years,
when he enlisted m a volunteer company, which became Company
A of the Seventh Virginia infantry, Kemper's brigade, Pickett's
division. First army corps. With this command he served four
years, taking part in the first battle of Manassas, Williamsburg,
Malvern Hill, South Mountain, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Get-
tysburg, the Suffolk and North Carolina campaigns, including the
battle of Plymouth, Cold Harbor, and the many months' fighting
of this division before Petersburg. He was a faithful and devoted
soldier, deserving to be remembered among the brave men who
assailed the Federal lines at the climax of the war on the slopes
of Cemetery hill. On April 6, l86s, during the retreat of the army
from the Confederate capital, he was captured by the enemy and
was subsequently confined at Point Lookout until the general re-
lease of prisoners of war. Then returning to his farm home, he
removed to Culpeper in 1866, where he has ever since been engaged
in business. He is an influential citizen and is especially popular
with his comrades of A. P. Hill camp. Confederate Veterans. On
February 15, 1872, he was married to Miss Emma R. Miller, of
Fleetwood, and they have three children living.

Walker Burford Freeman, of Richmond, a gallant veteran of the
army of Northern Virginia, was born in Bedford county, Va., Aug-
ust 28, 1843, where he was reared and educated. Early in the war
period he became a member of the Piedmont artillery, organized at
Bedford City, and four months later, August 31, 1861, he was mus-
tered with this command into the service of the Confederate States.
He served with this company of artillery during the defense of
Yorktown and Gloucester Point until the evacuation, when the
company was assigned to the Thirty-fourth Virginia infantry, as
Company E. Freeman served as a private until September, 1863,
when his gallant service led to his appointment to act as sergeant.
During his service he participated, after the evacuation of York-
town, in the two days' battle of Seven Pines, where he was wounded
three times in one day and received seven bullet holes in his cloth-
ing; in the second engagement at Williamsburg; was under fire at
Fort Sumter in 1863; took part in the action at Fort Walthall Junc-
tion and various engagements on the Howlett House line in May
and June, 1864; in the defense of the lines at Petersburg, June 17,
1864, and various engagements on the Petersburg line, and in the
engagements on the Boydton Plank Road, at Hatcher's Run and
Sailor's Creek, and finally surrendered at Appomattox. After the
war he returned to Lynchburg, and embarked in the wholesale gro-
cery trade. He continued in this until 1886 and then went into the
insurance business, which, after following the same six years at
Lynchburg, he has continued at Richmond since 1892. While at



880 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Lynchburg he was honored for several years by his fellow citizens^
with the office of alderman. He is a member of R. E. Lee camp, of
Richmond. Three brothers of Mr. Freeman participated in the
Confederate service: Stephen M. Freeman, who served as a private-
in Company A of the Second Virginia cavalry, and died from a fall
from a horse at the battle of Manassas, July, 1861; Gustavus A.
Freeman, who served as a private in Company E of the Thirty-
fourth Virginia infantry, and died of camp fever in 1862; and John.
R. Freeman, a private of the Thirteenth Virginia infantry, who now
resides at Amherst, Va.

Frederick J. Friedlin, a well-known merchant of Portsmouth, who-
was identified with the gallant record of the Virginia Defenders, is
a native of Switzerland, born at Basel, August 10, 1841. His parents,
John H. and Elizabeth (Hunzecker) Friedlin, came to Ports-
mouth with their family in 1854, settling at Portsmouth, where the
father was a victim of the yellow fever scourge of 1855, the mother
surviving until February 8, 1895. Their family consisted of seven
sons and two daughters, and three of the sons, John H., Adolphus,
and Frederick J., served in the armies of the Confederacy, the sec-
ond named giving his life for the cause at the battle of Frayser's-
Farm. In 1858 Frederick J. Friedlin entered the military service of
the State as a member of the Portsmouth National Grays, which
was on duty during the John Brown affair, and went into active-
service under the governor's orders of April 20, 1861. Soon after
the muster he was detailed for duty as an engineer in the railway-
shops at Portsmouth, in which he continued until the evacuation,
when he became a private in the Virginia Defenders, a company
which had been organized on the night of April 20, 1861, and subse-
quently attached to the Sixteenth infantry regiment as Company C.
After an uneventful camp life at Norfolk, the company joined Ma-
hone's brigade of Anderson's division, A. P. Hill's corps, of the
army of Northern Virginia, and with the regiment was quartered
on the Rapidan river, guarding a railroad bridge, until the battle of
Seven Pines, when the command moved to Richmond and partici-
pated in the Seven Days' battles. Private Friedlin shared this fight-
ing and was subsequently engaged at Second Manassas, at Cramp-
ton's Gap, Md. (where the company was particularly distinguished
in the gallant stand made against overwhelming odds), at Sharps-
burg, at Fredericksburg, and at Gettysburg. On the retreat from
Gettysjjurg he was captured, July Sth,and was held at Fort McHenry
and Fort Delaware as a prisoner of war until September, 1863, when
he made a daring escape from the Federal prison, and succeeded
in reaching Virginia in safety. His prison confinement had ruined
his health, and it was not until the war was near its close that he
was able to serve in the field, and his services were then of no avail.
In October, 1863, he began a grocery business on a small scale at
Portsmouth, with a capital of $75, and, meeting with success, in
later years he conducted both a retail and wholesale trade. In 1890
he turned this over to his sons, who have since conducted a whole-
sale grocery establishment on the foundation he had laid. He then
established a general or department store at Portsmouth, and is-
now conducting an extensive and successful business. He is pop-
ular both in business and social circles, has served four years in
the city council, is a director of the Metropolitan building and



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 881

loan association of Richmond, is a stockholder in the People's
bank, treasurer of the Independent fire company, treasurer of the
Portsmouth and Atlantic club, and is fraternally associated with
.the orders of Elks, Odd Fellows, Red Men, and Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Friedlin was married March 23, 1864, to Alice Sturtevant, who
died July 31, 1877. On May 20, 1880, he wedded Fannie E. Orton,
who died February 16, 1895, and on August S, 1896, he was married
to Roma S. Zink. Ten children are living: Lee N., wife of W. R.
Vieth, of Norfolk; Frederick A., Blanche I., May Rose, wife of
George Ewell, of Portsmouth; Charles E., Grace D., wife of George
Martin; Lisette H., Fannie E., Thomas H., and Samuel Zink.

Lieutenant John C. Fulford, of Portsmouth, a gallant veteran
of the Third Virginia regiment of infantry, who served throughout
the war and commanded his company at Appomattox, was born in
Norfolk county. May. 23, 1838. He is the son of John and Fannie
(West) Fulford, both natives of Norfolk county, at whose country
home he was reared to the age of twelve years, when the family re-
moved to Portsmouth. After receiving an education in the public
schools he was apprenticed to the carpenter's craft. At the age of
twenty-one be became a member of the National Grays, a strong
and well-disciplined company, which was organized at Portsmouth
in May, 1856. and was on duty at Charleston, Va., during the John
Brown insurrection of 1859. As a private in this company he
turned out under arms on April 20, 1861, and served with the com-
pany at the Gosport navy yard until August, then being stationed at
Burwell's Bay and (Ji^amp Pemberton. At the opening of McClel-
lan's penin,';ular invasion, the command, as Company H of the
Third regiment, was moved to the scene of action in March, and
fought at Dam No. 2, in Longstreet's division. Subsequent actions,
in which Lieutenant Fulford shared the gallant record of the Grays,
were Williamsburg, Seven Pines, the Seven Days' fighting, Second
Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettys-
1)urg, Culpeper Court House, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold
Harbor, Five Forks, besides many less important engagements.
Early in his service being promoted orderly sergeant of his com-
pany, he was commissioned second lieutenant after Gettysburg and
subsequently first lieutenant, in this rank having command of his
company during the absence of Capt. John D. Whitehead, who was
captured at the stone wall at Gettysburg on the third day, and held
until the spring of 1865. In the closing days of the struggle the
papers were perfected for the promotion of the gallant lieutenant to
the rank of captain, but in the confusion then prevailing the com-
inission never arrived. Returning to Portsmouth after his parole
at Appomattox. Lieutenant Fulford was occupied at his trade for a
time, then turned his attention to mercantile pursuits,which engaged
"him for several years, and since 1884 he has occupied a responsible
position with the Portsmouth and Norfolk ferries, in which con-
nection he is widely known and esteemed as a faithful and popular
official. He is a comrade of Stonewall camp, Confederate Veterans,
is a deacon of South Street Baptist church, and an active member
of the order of Odd Fellows. He has served the city in an official
-capacity as a police commissioner. February 14, 1867, Mr. Fulford
was married to Virginia C. Davis, of Portsmouth, who died March
^4, 1890. Four children are living: Minnie Lee, wife of Rev. John



882 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

W. Daugherty; Lulu May, wife of W. T. Edmonds; Walter A., and
Ruth Virginia.

Jacob A. Fulmer, of Smithfield, Va., is a man of northern birth,
education and training, who voluntarily parted from his friends and
kindred who supported the Northern cause, to enlist in the Con-
federate army. He was born at Philadelphia, April lo, 1838, the son
of Thomas and Susan (Yeager) Fulmer, Pennsylvanians by birth.
His brother, William T. Fulmer, served as paymaster, with the rank
of major, in the Union army. When the fight began for Southern
independence he came South, in April, 1861, on the last boat from
Baltimore to Norfolk before the blockade was established, and, pro-
ceeding to Nansemond county, enlisted as a private in the Old
Dominion light artillery Blues, afterward Company A of the Nine-
teenth Virginia battalion. During his first year's service he was sta-
tioned at Town Point, and was then transferred to Richmond, where
he served during the remainder of the war on the fortified lines in
defense of the Confederate capital. At the end he was captured
with many others in the disaster to Ewell's corps at Sailor's Creek,
after which he was imprisoned for three weeks in Libby prison. On
being paroled in May, 1865, he found himself without money or em-
ployment and wandered about Richmond a day or two without food
or the means of obtaining it. Finally, in desperation, he applied to
Colonel Slater, the Union officer in charge of commissary stores,
for work of any kind to prevent starvation. The colonel was du-
bious in encouragement, in view of the tattered gray uniform which
Fulmer wore, but the young Confederate frankly.admitted his former
allegiance and so stoutly stood up for the greatness of his old com-
mander, General Lee, and the justness of his cause, that the Federal
officer, won by his sincerity, gave him an order for ten days' ra-
tions, and on the next day assigned him to a responsible position.
This occupation lasted over thirty days, and before Colonel Slater
left he complimented Fulmer upon the fidelity and ability he had
manifested and left him an envelope to open in private. This con-
tained $72, which, to the Confederate soldier, was a fortune, and,
as he had also received free transportation to Norfolk for himself
and the young lady who afterward became his wife, his future
seemed bright at that moment. Proceeding to Norfolk he soon es-
tablished himself as a carpenter at Smithfield, and has there ever
since resided, winning a competence by his industry as a builder
and contractor. He was married in 1866 to Miss Alice W. Mister,
a young lady who, subsequent to their first meeting at Town Point,
had taken refuge at Richmond during the war. They have two
daughters, Gertrude Lee, who married Benjamin Pond, and
Anna S.

Captain Alexander H. Fultz, an attorney, and prominent citizen
of Staunton, Va., who held for many years the office of mayor of
the city, was born in Bath county, Va., in 1837. Brought by his
family to Staunton in infancy, he was there reared and educated,
preparatory to the course of study he followed at Washington col-
lege. Preparing himself for the profession of law, he was admitted
to the bar in 1861, but was compelled to postpone the practice he
was about to undertake by the outbreak of the war. He entered
the military service of the State on April 17, 1861, as a private in
the Staunton artillery. His gallant record brought steady promo-



CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTORY. 883

tion. After one year as private, he served two years as second
lieutenant, then as first lieutenant until the winter of 1864, when he
was promoted captain, the rank he held at Appomattox. He par-
ticipated creditably and bravely in the battles of First Manassas,
Williamsburg, the Seven Days' fighting before Richmond, Cedar
Mountain, Second Manassas, Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, Freder-
icksburg, Chancellorsville (where he received his only wound, a
slight one in the foot), the defeat of Milroy at Winchester, Gettys-
burg, Mine Run, and the Wilderness and Spottsylvania campaign.
At the time of the surrender he was with a mounted detail, ten miles
south of Appomattox, and he was paroled at Staunton in June,
1865. During the two years immediately following the war he
found employment in farming and then took up his career where
he abandoned it at the call of the State. Since then he has pros-
pered in the profession of law and holds a high place in the esteem
of the people of Staunton. He was first elected mayor of the city
in 1888, and subsequently was regularly re-elected every two years.

Joseph Addington Gale, M. D., a distinguished physician and
surgeon of Roanoke, Va., was bom at Norfolk in 1842. His an-
cestry is English and Scotch descent, and settled originally in North
Carolina, removing thence to Virginia subsequent to the Revolu-
tionary war. Both his grandfathers were soldiers in the war of
1812. Dr. Gale was a student in the Norfolk military academy at
the outbreak of the war, and he left that institution in the summer
of 1861 to become a private in Huger's battery. He served with
this command until the spring of 1862, participating in the battles
of the Peninsula and Seven Pines, and being upon the fields of
Mechanicsville, Cold Harbor, Frayser's Farm, Malvern Hill and
Drewry's Bluflf. He was then appointed hospital steward at Chim-
borazo hospital, at Richmond, and put in charge of the dispensary
for the Second division, under Dr. Habersham. During his serv-
ice in this department he was hospital steward in charge of medical
and surgical supplies for the reserve corps of surgeons, and was
busily engaged upon the field in all the battles around Richmond
during the siege of 1864-65. During this period he also attended
medical lectures at the Richmond medical college, and, in the
spring of 1866, he was graduated in medicine at the Bellevue hos-
pital medical college. New York. For six months subsequently he
served as surgeon on a ship between New York and Liverpool,
and then received the appointment of United States contract sur-
geon at Sandy Hook. In the summer of 1867 he made his home
in Roanoke county, and in 1882 established himself at the city of
Roanoke, where he has since been engaged successfully in the
practice of his profession. For twelve years he served as surgeon
for the Norfolk & Western railroad, and has held the position of
chief surgeon for the road since September, 1895. He is a member
of the State medical society of Virginia, and of the National asso-
ciation of railway surgeons. He is also active socially and for the
best interests of the community. He is one of the trustees of the
Methodist church South, of his city, and is a valued member of
the Masonic order, the KnigR'ts of Pythias and Odd Fellows. He
has served the county as magistrate and, during two terms, sat in
the council of the city.

Captain Asher W. Garber, of Richmond, a gallant artillery
officer of the Second corps of the army of Northern Virginia, was



S84 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

born at Staunton, Va., in 1834. From that city he entered the
service on April 17, 1861, as second lieutenant of the Staunton
artillery. In Decemljer, 1862, after he had commanded his battery
at Fredericksburg, attached to Ewell's division, he was promoted
captain, after which he continued in command until the close of
the war. His record of service is a notable one and embraces
gallant action at the memorable battles of First Manassas, the
Seven Days' fighting before Richmond, Second Manassas, the
Milroy fight at Winchester, Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, Freder-
icksburg, Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania
Court House on the loth, 12th and i8th of May, 1864, Second
Cold Harbor, Chantilly, Deep Bottom, New Market, Berryville,
Cedar Run, Sailor's Creek and Appomattox. At Chancellorsville
his battery was engaged but he was absent at the time, securing
horses for the command. He was wounded at the First Manassas
and at Berryville and was struck by a spent ball at Sailor's Creek.
After the close of hostilities Captain Garber returned to Staunton
for a few months, and then made his permanent home at Rich-
mond, where he has since that time been engaged in the transfer
business. He is a member of R. E. Lee camp. Confederate Vet-
erans.

J. Powell Garland, D. D., now presiding elder of the Norfolk
district of the Methodist church, whose career well illustrates the
chaplaincy of the Confederate army, was born in Amherst county,
Va., November 9, 1835. "The Powell and Garland families, from
which he is descended, are well known and have a worthy part in
the history of Virginia. His father, Samuel M. Garland, was an
attorney at Amherst Court House, for forty years clerk of the
county, a member of the reform convention of 1854, and of the
convention of 1861. The latter was the son of JHon. David S.
Garland, for several years a member of Congress, whose wife was
a daughter of Col. Samuel Meredith, who married a sister of Pat-
rick Henry and assisted that patriot in raising a force to march
upon Williamsburg and demand of Governor Dunbar the return
of gunpowder, thus precipitating the war of the Revolution. The
mother of Dr. Garland, Mildred, was the daughter of James Powell,
M. D., of Amherst, a descendant of the early settlers. Dr. Gar-
land was educated at Higginbotham academy, in his native county,
and at Emory and Henry college, where he was graduated in 1857,
as A. M. He then began the study of law, but, one year later,
feeling an irresistible impulse in that direction, he entered the
ministry, being licensed to preach and received on trial by the
annual conference at Portsmouth, in 1858. He was then in charge,
successively, of Appomattox circuit, where his work was blessed
by the conversion of about one hundred and fifty souls; Cumlier-
land circuit, and Fincastle. In August, 1862, he resigned his
charge and entered the Confederate army as chaplain of the Forty-
ninth Virginia regiment. In this capacity he was present at the
battles of Chancellorsville, Winchester, Gettysburg, the Wilder-
ness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, and other scenes
of warfare. Resigning the chaplaincy, in the fall of 1864, on ac-
count of failing health, he returned to the ministry of his church
and was assigned to the charge of Amherst circuit, whence, after
four years, he was appointed to the Ninth street church, Man-
chester, where he served two years, and then the same term at



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 885



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 95 of 153)