Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 96 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 96 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Trinity church, Richmond. At Portsmouth he then was put in
charge of Dinwiddie street station, wher^ he remained four years
and built the Monumental church, as a memorial to Robert Wil-
liams, the pioneer of Methodism in the South. After serving at
Petersburg four years, he was made presiding elder of Randolph-
Macon district, and has subsequently had charge of the Lynch-
burg, the Richmond and the Norfolk districts. In 1885 his dis-
tinguished services were recognized by the conferment of the de-
gree of doctor of divinity by Emory and Henry college. In 1890
he was elected as a delegate to the general conference at St. Louis;
in 1894 to the general conference at Nashville; and, in 1898, to the
general conference at Baltimore. He maintains fraternal connec-
tion with the orders of Masons, Knights Templar, Knights of
Pythias and Odd Fellows. Dr. Garland was married in 1858 to
Lucy V. Braxton, of Fredericksburg, Va., and, after her death,
wedded Cissa E. Dillard, of Lynchburg, in 1884. He has eight
children living: Maria Corbin, wife of George R. Howard, of
Lynchburg: Samuel M., of Lebanon, Ore., ex-superintendent of
Indian instruction, and attorney; J. Powell, Jr., attorney at Jack-
son, Texas; David S., attorney, and editor of the English and
American Law Encyclopedia, Northport, L. I.; Thomas W., of
Lynchburg; John B., of Nashville; Mildred I., wife of George E.
Murrell, of Bedford county, and Lucy B.

Captain Theodore S. Garnett, a distinguished attorney of
Norfolk, Va., in his youth served gallantly in the cavalry of the
army of Northern Virginia. He was born at the city of Rich-
mond, October 28, 1844, and in boyhood entered the Episcopal
high school at Alexandria, Va., and subsequently became a student
in the university of Virginia. Biit he abandoned his studies m
May, 1861, to join the company of Hanover artillery under com-
mand of Capt. William Nelson. Thence he was transferred to the
navy department of the Confederacy, but resigned to enlist in the
Essex troop of cavalry. Company F of the Ninth Virginia regi-
ment. He served in this command as a private soldier, but detailed
for duty at division headquarters, from May, 1863, until January
27, 1864, when he was appointed aide-de-camp on the stafT of the
gallant cavalry commander, Maj.-Gen. J. E. B. Stuart. He was
with that general when he was mortally wounded at Yellow Tavern,
May II, 1864, and aided in carrying him from the field. He
attended the dying commander until his death the next day and
then was present at his funeral at Hollywood, May 13th. After this
Garnett was commissioned first lieutenant and attached to the staii'
of Gen. W. H. F. Lee on June i, 1864. He served in that capacity
until March, 1865. when he was commissioned captain and assist-
ant adjutant-general of the cavalry brigade of Gen. William P.
Roberts, holding that rank at Appomattox. Captain Garnett par-
ticipated in many serious engagements during his military career,
and had three horses shot under him, but escaped himself without
wounds. After the war he returned to the university and was
graduated in law in 1867. His subsequent progress in the profes-
sion was rapid, and three years later he was elected judge of Nanse-
mond county. Though re-elected, he resigned and removed to
Norfolk, where he has since been successfully engaged in the prac-
tice. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Protestant
Episcopal theological seminary and high school of Virginia, and
Va.5a



886 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

is a past-commander of Pickett-Buchanan camp, United Confed-
erate Veterans. Captain Garnett is a member of a distinguished
Virginia family. His father, Theodore S. Garnett, Sr., was prom-
inent as a civil engineer, and was connected with the construction
of several important Southern railways. He was chief engineer and
superintendent of the North Carolina, the Charlotte, Columbia &
Augusta, and other railroads. His death occurred in 1885. He
was the son of James Mercer Garnett, who was born in Essex
county June 8, 1770, and died in May, 1843. He was a fovinder
and the first president of the United States agricultural society,
and a noted author on allied topics. For twelve years he main-
tained a female seminary in his own house and actively sought to
introduce improved methods of education. After several years'
service in the Virginia legislature, he was twice elected to Congress,
where he was a friend of his colleague, John Randolph, of Roanoke,
and engaged in a controversy with Matthew Carey, the protection-
ist. In 1829 he was a member of the Virginia constitutional con-
vention. While in Congress he and his friend Randolph were in
the habit of occasionally taking a Saturday afternoon off for hunt-
ing partridges, and it is remembered as a curious instance of the
change in the notions of the responsibilities of public servants,
that these two distinguished men were regularly "docked" their
half-days' time spent in recreation. The founder of the American
branch of the Garnett family was John Garnett, who came from
England in 1674 and located in Gloucester coimty. The mother
of Captain Garnett was Florentina, daughter of Francisco Moreno,
former Spanish consul at Pensacola, Fla.

Captain William E. Garrett, of Leesburg, notable among the
officers of the Eighth Virginia infantry, was born in Loudoun
county, November 30, 1838. Though a son of one of the most
prosperous farmers of that region, he was taught habits of industry
and self-reliance. In the private schools of his county, where he
received his education, he stood at the head of his classes. Becom-
ing engaged as a farmer in early manhood, he was called from
that occupation by the threatened invasion of the State, and then
became a member of the Eighth regiment, under command of Col.
Eppa Hunton. After serving through the campaigns of the regi-
ment in the first year of its service, including the battle of Ma-
nassas, he was unanimously chosen captain of Company I, at the
reorganization, and commissioned accordingly. In this rank he
served gallantly with his command and until by reason of contin-
ued bad health and the advice of the medical board he was hon-
orably discharged. He then returned to his home and resumed
the occupations of ci-^il life, being soon afterward happily married
to the daughter of Hon. Daniel Shreve, of Loudoun county. In
1874 he was elected to the office of clerk of the circuit court of his
county, Hon. James Keith, now president of the court of appeals,
being then upon the bench. This office he filled for twelve years, to
the entire satisfaction of the bar and the public, at the same time
pursuing the study of law with the advantages that his position
afforded him. On retiring from office he embarked in the profes
sion of law, in which he has met with notable success in Loudoun
and adjoining counties, beinglately associated in the practice with
his son, a graduate of the university of Virginia. Captain Garrett
is a prominent member of the order of Knights of Pythias, for



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 887

many years representing his lodge in the grand lodge, and serving
in 1895-96 as grand chancellor of the order for the State of Vir-
ginia. He is cdso a prominent member of the Baptist church, hav-
ing been, for a number of years, and is now, clerk of the Potomac
Baptist association.

William M. Gary, Jr.. an honored resident of King William
county, cherishes the honorable distinction of being one of a family
of Confederate patriots, and an ancestry long identified, both in
peace and war, with the interests of Virginia. The first of his
family in America was Thomas Gary, a native of Wales, who set-
tled in Charles City county in colonial times. His son, Benjamin
Gary, was a patriot soldier of the Continental army. The son of
the latter, William M. Gary, a farmer and merchant of King Wil-
liam county, born in 1807, died in 1885, gave two sons to the Con-
federate army: William M., Jr., and James H. William M., Jr.,
. the eldest, entered the service as a member of the Lee Rangers, or
Company H, Ninth Virginia cavalry. He served throughout the
war, mainly in the adventurous and perilous duties of a scout, and
after parting with his comrades at Appomattox, returned to his
home in King William county, where he now resides. He was
born February 21, 1838, and in early manhood married Annie
Page, daughter of Samuel Clarke Roper, of Chesterfield county.
Their son. Dr. Benjamin R. Gary, prominent in the medical pro-
fession of Newport News, was born December 18, 1868, and reared
in King William county. He studied at Aberdeen academy after he
had reached his seventeenth year, and in the fall of 1889 entered
the medical department of the university of Maryland. In the spring
of 1891, having also for a year been a resident student in the uni-
versity hospital, Baltimore, he was graduated, and soon after passed
the examination of the Virginia State board. Beginning his pro-
fessional work at Newport News in June, l8gi, he has since met
with flattering success. He is a member of the American and the
Virginia medical associations, and for five years has been secretary
and treasurer of the Newport News medical society. He also
holds the office of coroner of the city. December 16, 1896, he was
married to Miss Willie A. Barham, daughter of Lieut. William R.
Barham, of the Confederate cavalry service.

William Kemp Gatewood, M. D., a prominent physician of West
Point, Va., who devoted his professional ability to the service of
the army during the Confederate period, is a native of Middlesex
county, born March 5, 1836. His father, William L. Gatewood,
M. D., born in Essex county. February 22, 1812, was graduated in
medicine at the university of Pennsylvania, and for a period of
thirty years, until his death, in 1869, was a leading physician of
Middlesex county. He married Lucy, daughter of Thomas Street,
a wealthy farmer of Middlesex. The parents of the senior Dr.
Gatewood were Col. Kemp Gatewood, a soldier of the war of 1812
and a prosperous planter, and his wife, Barbara, daughter of Gen-
eral Minor, of Fredericksburg, and aunt of the eminent legal
authority and professor of the university of Virginia law school,
John B. Minor; also aunt of the famous scientist and loyal Con-
federate, Commodore Matthew F. Maury. Dr. William Kemp
Gatewood was educated at Ridgeway academy in Albemarle county
and William and Marjr college, and prepared for the medical pro-
fession at the university of Virginia and the medical college of



888 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Virginia, with graduation by the latter institution in 1858. He
practiced medicine in Middlesex county and Bertie county, N. C,
until the spring of 1861. He then enlisted as a private in Company
C of the Fifth Virginia regiment of infantry, and was soon after-
ward detailed as assistant surgeon. In this capacity he served
throughout the war, mainly in the hospital at Richmond. His
was a service essential to the army. There were none too many
skilled and faithful surgeons and those who labored in this field
are entitled to grateful remembrance and a due share of the honors
that fall to duty well done. In the years that have since elapsed
Surgeon Gatewood has devoted himself entirely to his profession,
until 1886 in Middlesex county and since then at West Point, where,
during the palmy days of that seaport, he had a remarkably large
practice, and is yet a successful and prosperous physician. He is
the local surgeon for the Southern railroad, and quarantine officer
at West Point, and has memberships in the State medical society,
the American medical association, and the association of Southern
railway surgeons. He was married in i860 to Martha J. Bowden,
who died in October, 1875, and in 1879 he married Mary McCand-
lish, daughter of Col. Robert McCandlish, of Williamsburg, Va.

Lieutenant L. A. Gay, of Company D, Third "\rirginia regiment
of infantry, now clerk of the circuit court of Southampton county,
was born in Isle of Wight county, Va., in 1840. His father, William
E. Gay, a native of that county, was an influential citizen and active
in politics, at one time holding the office of county commissioner
of revenue. He died in 1865. Lieutenant Gay was educated in
the schools of his vicmity and at Buckhorn academy, leaving school
in April, 1861, to serve in the cause of the Confederacy. He en-
listed as third sergeant in Company D, Third Virginia regiment
of infantry, was soon promoted orderly-sergeant, then third lieu-
tenant in June, 1862, and finally first lieutenant, in which rank he
commanded his company during a large part of the war. Early
in the spring of 1862 he left Rock's wharf on the James river,
where his company had been stationed during i86i, and, reaching
Yorktown, was assigned to Longstreet's division, with which he
participated in the battles at Dam No. 2, Williamsburg, Seven
Pines and the Seven Days' battles, his regiment suffering partic-
ularly heavy losses at Frayser's Farm. He was with his regiment
in its conspicuous service on the field of Second Manassas, after
'which he was disabled by illness until after the Maryland cam-
paign. He was in the battle of Fredericksburg, and then partici-
pated in the North Carolina and Suffolk campaigns of Longstreet's
corps. At the battle of Gettysburg he took part in the famous
assault of Pickett's division on the third day, and, after the return
of the army to Virginia, was assigned with his command to duty in
the defenses of Richmond. After being at Richmond a short time
he was detached with his company and sent to Danville, Va., for
provost duty, guarding prisoners, for about fourteen months. He
was frequently engaged in battle, receiving severe wounds in the
engagement oear Dinwiddle Court House. On account of these
injuries he was lying in the hospital at Danville at the time of the
surrender. Then, being paroled, he returned to his home in
Southampton county and, as soon as his health permitted, engaged
in farming, his occupation since that time until appointed to his
present official position. He has also held for four years the office



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 889

of assessor and collector of taxes and for about sixteen years the
office of commissioner of revenue. He is a valued comrade of the
Urquhart-Gillette camp, United Confederate Veterans. On March
29, 1866, he was married to Elizabeth Rosa Bryant, who died
April 18, 1891, leaving five children, Ann E., Josiah B., Antoinette
A., Rosa M. and Lee A.

R. R. Gee, of Petersburg, Va., now prominent in the business
of life insurance in that State, is one of three brothers who served
in the army of Northern Virginia. Their father, Henry Gee, a
wealthy farmer of Prince George county, served with the Virginia
troops in the war of 1812 and died prior to the Confederate era.
One of these brothers, Lieut. John Gee, was a member of the
Petersburg cavalry company, under Captain Goodwin, and, sur-
viving the struggle, was subsequently engaged in mercantile pur-
suits until his death. Another, Lieut. Winfield S. Gee, served in
the Forty-fir.st Virginia infantry, Mahone's brigade, until he fell
while commanding his company in the terrible fight at the Crater
on the Petersburg lines. R. R. Gee, the survivor, who cherishes
the memory of these gallant brothers, was born in Prince George
county in 1831. He was engaged in farming, in charge of the
family homestead, until 1864, when he enlisted in Company E of
the Twelfth Virginia infantry, Mahone's division, and shared the
arduous service of the command in the trenches before Petersburg,
and its various severe battles, until the surrender at Appomattox.
He returned then to his vocation as a farmer, and continued to be
thus engaged until 1885, when he removed to Petersburg and be-
came connected with the life insurance company of Virginia. For
about ten years past he has held the position of superintendent of
that company. He has also extensive property interests, which
have largely increased in value under his skillful business manage-
ment. He maintains a membership in A. P. Hill camp. Confed-
erate Veterans.

William Pate Gibbs, a prominent wholesale merchant of Lynch-
burg, is a native of Bedford county, where he was born in 1843
and reared and educated. Early in 1861 he became a member of
the Bedford light artillery, which was made Company A of Stephen
D. Lee's battalion just before the opening of the Seven Days' bat-
tles before Richmond. Mr. Gibbs entered the service as a private
and was promoted corporal. He participated in the many battles
and campaigns in which the battalion was engaged from the begin-
ning until the close of the war, his first actions being at York
town, and the battles around Richmond. After fighting through
the Peninsular campaign, and the second battle of Manassas, he
was engaged at Sharpsburg, Md., in the great combat of September
17, 1862, and subsequently did effective service at Fredericksburg,
Chancellorsville, Gettysburg on the second and third days. Going
west with Longstreet's command, he fought at Chickamauga, and,
after his return to Virginia, was actively engaged in the Wilder-
ness and fought fourteen days at Spottsylvania, serving on the
left of the "bloody angle." In the defense of Petersburg he served
for several months on the Howlett house line. In March, 1865,
he was detailed with others to procure forage for the army, and
was engaged on that special service in the last dark days of defeat
and surrender. After the fall of the Southern cause he returned
to his home and resided in Bedford county until 1872, when he



890 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

removed to Lynchburg. There he engaged in business and has
met with notable success, now being identified with the wholesale
grocery trade, and is reckoned among the useful and enterprising
citizens of the town.

Colonel J. Catlett Gibson, of Culpeper, was born in that county
in 183s, and was educated at the university of Virginia. In the
spring of 1861 he enlisted at Harper's Ferry in the Culpeper Minute
Men, later a company of the Thirteenth regiment. After serving
as a private six weeks, he organized a new company, of which he
was elected captain, and which was assigned to the Forty-ninth in-
fantry. He commanded his company at the first battle of Manassas,
upon the reorganization in 1862 was elected lieutenant-colonel, and
not long after was promoted colonel, the rank in which he served
throughout the remainder of the war. Colonel Gibson was wounded
twice at Seven Pines, one of the wounds being quite serious; again
by a fragment of shell at White Oak swamp, and slightly at both
Second Manassas and Chantilly. At Sharpsburg he was slightly
wounded on the night of the i6th, and on the 17th was wounded
by a canister shot so seriously that he was unfit for duty for several
months. He was slightly wounded at Fredericksburg, and at Be-
thesda church, in 1864, his right leg was so mangled that he was
compelled to retire from active service. During the fight of May
12, 1864, at the "bloody angle," near Spottsylvania, Colonel Gibson
was particularly distinguished for gallantry. His brigade went
into action, after Johnson's division had been overwhelmed, under
command of Col. John S. Huffman, in Gen. John B. Gordon's
division. Gen. R. E, Lee, riding up, undertook to lead the charge
with uncovered head, but was dissuaded by General Gordon, his
horse being led back to a space between the Forty-ninth regiment
and Gordon's brigade. As Lee rode with Gordon to the rear,
Colonel Gibson cried out: "General, shall we give them the bay-
onet?" and, receiving the answer "Yes," gave the command to
charge. In this movement Colonel Huffman was wounded, and,
when the brigade reached the redoubts on the left of the angle,
the center was exposed to a rear fire. The command was then
divided, Colonel Gibson taking charge of three regiments on the
right and Col. James B. Terrill of two on the left. A bloody fight
followed, in the midst of which Colonel Gibson moved part of his
command to the right to support a portion of Gordon's brigade,
which was commanded in this fight by Gen. Clement A. Evans.
Presently his ammunition gave out and he rode to General Ewell
to report his necessities. On his return he ran into a Yankee line,
but they laughed at his mistake and cheered him. A moment
later, in the terrible confusion, he encountered another line of
Federals, who fired upon him and wounded his horse so that the
animal fell just as Colonel Gibson reached his command. Subse-
quently, at Morton's ford, he remembered the consideration of his
enemies at Spottsylvania and prevented his men from firing upon
a gallant Federal officer who was trying to force his skirmish line
upon the Confederate breastworks. In 1866-67 Colonel Gibson
represented Fauquier and Rappahannock counties in the Virginia
constitutional convention. In the meantime he engaged in the
practice of law, and, a few years after the war, removed to Culpeper
and married the daughter of Judge Henry Shackelford. They have
one son living, Edwin H. Gibson, commonwealth attorney for



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 891

Madison county. Colonel Gibson was elected to the Virginia legis-
lature in 1879 and several times subsequently, and, during the first
administration of President Cleveland, he was United States attor-
ney for the eastern district of Virginia. Several brothers of Colonel
Gibson were in the Confederate service. Pierre Gibson was an
officer of the Sixth Virginia cavalry and was killed at Westminster,
Md., previous to the battle of Gettysburg; John S. Gibson, an
ordnance officer of the Forty-ninth regiment, died after the war, in
Alabama; Eustace Gibson, first lieutenant in the Seventh cavalry,
until disabled by wounds, afterward captain quartermaster, has,
since the war, represented a West Virginia district in Congress;
Edwin Gibson, who enlisted before he was fourteen years old, was
elected lieutenant and captain, but, on account of his youth, was
sent to the Virginia military institute. He died in 1869.

John St. P. Gibson, M. D., of Staunton, Va., was born in Cul-
peper, now Rappahannock county, Va., in 1832. Removing witli
his parents to Maryland, in 1842, he' studied medicine in the uni-
versity of Maryland and was graduated in 1858. He practiced his
profession in Preston county, Va., until July, 1862, when he entered
the Confederate service as surgeon in the rear hospitals at Aldie
and Winchester. In November he was commissioned assistant
surgeon of the Fifty-second Virginia infantry, was soon promoted
surgeon, and at Gettysburg, and thence until the close of the war,
held the rank of brigade surgeon. After his parole at Appomattox
he practiced at Waynesboro until 1877, when he made his home
at Staunton, where his professional career has been eminently
successful It is interesting to note that Dr. Gibson and Stonewall
Jackson descended from the same great-grandfather, Minor Winn.

Robertson Gilbert, a heroic soldier of Mahone's brigade, army
of Northern Virginia, left his farm home in Norfolk county, in
April, 1861, as a private in the Norfolk County Riile Patriots, for
the military service of Virginia. His company was organized in
i860. After the 21st of April it served at the arsenal of St. Helena
and the Gosport navy yard, until March, 1862, when it joined the
Forty-first regiment, Virginia infantry, under Colonel (afterward
General) Chambliss, at Sewell's point, as Company F. His first
battle was at Seven Pines, where his company was distinguished
for steady valor, and he subsequently fought on the peninsula, at
the Charles City road and Malvern hill. Throughout the re-
mainder of the career of Mahone's brigade he was a faithful and
devoted soldier, shared all the famous battles of his command,
including Second Manassas, Crampton's Gap, Sharpsburg, Fred-
ericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Mine
Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Turkey Ridge, Frayser's
Farm, Cold Harbor, the many months in the trenches, including
the famous battle of the Crater, Davis' Farm, Reams' Station, Bur-
gess' Mill, Hatcher's Run and Cumberland Church. Surviving all
this arduous and dangerous service, he removed to Tennessee after
the close of hostilities and died there in 1882. Lafayette Gilbert, a
son of the above, who cherishes the memory of the patriotic deeds
of his father, and is an active member of the Junior Neimeyer-
Shaw camp. Confederate Veterans, was born in North Carolina and
was brought by his parents to Norfolk county in his childhood.
Here, during his early manhood, he was engaged in farming, but



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 96 of 153)