Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 97 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 97 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


left that to embark in the lumber trade, which he followed until



892 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

i88g. Since then he has been quite successful in the management
of a grocery house at Berkley. In 1871 he was married to Joanna,
(laughter of Jonathan Bateman, of Norfolk county.

James D. Godsey, an artilleryman of the Twenty-second Virginia
battalion, now residing at Newport News, was bom in Chesterfield
county, Va., June 19, 1842, the son of Francis and Parmelia
(Hatcher) Godsey. The father dying before the birth of his son
James, the latter was cared for by his mother, upon the farm of
her father, Abner Hatcher, in Chesterfield county, and given a
common school education. He entered the Confederate service in
January, 1862, as a private in a company first designated as the
Second Virginia heavy artillery, and subsequently known as Com-
pany A of the Twenty-second Virginia battalion. His first service
was in the Peninsular campaign which was begun by McClellan's
invasion soon after his enlistment, and at the battle of Gaines'
Mill. June 27, 1862, he fell with a wound in the right side that
totally disabled him for further active service. He was confined
to bed for three months, but, as soon as he was able to render
any duty, he accepted a position in the commissary department at
Richmond, where he remained on duty until the close of the war.
He has made his home in Virginia since then, with the exception
of eight years spent in the State of Missouri. In June, 1881, he
located at Newport News and was given a responsible position in
the service of the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad company, which he
still holds. He was one of the early victims of the war and his
service at the front was consequently brief, but it was distinguished
by the bravery and devotion of a true Confederate soldier. Hiram
W. Godsey, a brother of the foregoing, born in Chesterfield county,
entered the service in April, 1861, as a member of a company or-
ganized eight years previous, which was mustered in as Company
D of the Fourteenth Virginia infantry, and served in Armistead's
brigade of Pickett's division, Longstreet's corps. He shared in
the operations of his command up to and including the Pennsyl-
vania campaign. In the fatal assault of his division upon the Fed-
eral lines at Gettysburg he did the duty of a devoted soldier. Only
eight of his company returned alive to the Confederate lines, and
his body, left on the battlefield, now reposes in an unknown grave
somewhere on the green hillsides about the little Pennsylvania
village.

Garrett G. Gooch, a prominent citizen of Staunton, Va., was
born in Orange county in 1837. He was reared and educated in
Louisa county, and, during the administration of President Bu-
chanan, was appointed a mail agent on the old Virginia Central
railroad. He held this position at the outbreak of the war, but
abandoned it to share the perils and the honor of the military
defense of the State. He enlisted as a private in the 'Thirteenth
Virginia regiment of infantry at Winchester, in June, 1861, and
served with that command about one year, participating creditably
in the first battle of Manassas. He was then detailed to the mail
service of the Confederate States, the government being in need
of experienced men in that important duty. He remained in the
mail service until the close of the war when he was paroled by
Federal authority. At the close of hostilities he embarked in the
mercantile business on an extensive scale, conducting ten stores
in Virginia and West Virginia, and conducted this business with



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 893

much success from 1868 until 1882, when he made his home at
Staunton, and for five years conducted a wholesale grocery business.
Since retiring from that activity he has been engaged as a railroad
contractor. In 1872 Mr. Gooch was married in Alleghany county
to Mary W., daughter of the late Dr. George H. Payne.

John Goode, a Virginian, whose name is prominently associated
with public events before, during and since the war of the Con-
federacy, was born in Bedford county, May 27, 1829. His father,
John Goode, was a prosperous planter and a soldier in the war of
1812. His paternal grandfather, Edmund Goode, removed, in
colonial days, from Caroline to Bedford county and served in the
war of the Revolution. His mother, Ann M. Leftwich, was a
daughter of John Leftwich and Sally (Walton) Leftwich, and grand-
daughter of Joel Leftwich, who served as an officer of the Conti-
nental army at Germantown, Brandywine, Camden and Guilford
Court House (being severely wounded in the latter battle), and in
the war of 1812 commanded a brigade under Gen. William Henry
Harrison at Fort Meigs, afterward was promoted major-general,
and, during several sessions, sat in the Virginia legislature. Mr.
Goode was educated at the New London academy in Bedford
county and at Emory and Henry college, where he was graduated
in June, 1848. During the two succeeding winters he studied law
with Hon. John W. Brockenbrough, at Lexington, was admitted
to the bar in April, 1851, and began the practice of his profession
at Liberty, the seat of his native county. At the age of twenty-two
he was elected to the house of delegates; in 1852 and 1856 was a
presidential elector on the Democratic ticket and in 1861 was a
member of the Virginia convention, where he earnestly advocated
the secession of Virginia, after Northern troops had been called out
to coerce the previously seceding States. On May 1, in earnest of
his views regarding the duty of the State, he enlisted as a private
in the first company that left Bedford county for active service;
mustered in as Company A of the Second Virginia cavalry, and as
such participated in the first battle of Manassas. He was subse-
quently assigned to duty, on the staf? of Gen. Jubal A. Early, as
volunteer aide-de-camp with the rank of captain. In the fall of
1861 he was elected to the congress of the Confederate States, and
on February 22, 1862, took his seat in that body, which he con-
tinued to hold, by re-election, until the close of the war. During
the recess of 1862 he rejoined General Early, as volunteer aide, and
in that capacity served in the battle of Malvern Hill, also during
the campaign against General Hunter in 1864. In September, 1865,
he removed to Norfolk for the practice of his profession and was
there elected to the Virginia legislature of 1866-67. In 1874 he was
elected representative in Congress from the Norfolk district and
served in the Forty-fourth and, by re-election, in the Forty-fifth and
Forty-sixth Congresses. In his candidacy for the Forty-seventh
Congress he was defeated on account of his opposition to the pro-
posed "readjustment" of the State debt. As a member of the
Forty-sixth Congress he was the author of the bill providing for
the erection of a monument at Yorktown in commemoration of
the surrender of Lord Cornwallis to the allied armies of Wash-
ington and Lafayette. He was also president of the Yorktown
centennial association. During the Forty-fifth and Forty-sixth Con-
gresses he was chairman of the committee on education. He has



894 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

served as a member of the national committee of his political party,
and in 1884 was an elector at large for Virginia and president of
the electoral college. In May, 1885, he was appointed by President
Cleveland solicitor-general of the United States, an office which
he held until August, 1886. During his term of service he was sent
by the department of justice to British Columbia to represent the
United States in an important case of extradition. At the termina-
tion of his official career he established a law office at Washington
and resumed the practice, in which he has attained great prom-
inence. During his professional career he has been connected with
several notable criminal trials and has held the position of lecturer
on criminal law at the National law school at Washington. Mr.
Goode is a member of the board of visitors to William and Mary
college, Virginia agricultural and mechanical college, and the uni-
versity of Virginia. He is also a member of the commission estab-
lished by the United States and Chili to decide upon the validity of
claims. In July, 1855, he married Sally Urquhart, daughter of
Richard A. Urquhart and Mary (Norfleet) Urquhart, of "Straw-
berry Plains," Isle of Wight county, and they have four children
living: Mary, wife of William T. Brooke, city engineer of Nor-
folk; Richard U., a topographical engineer in the geological sur-
vey; John B., a practicing attorney at Bedford City, Va., where
Mr. Goode maintains his residence, and James U., a graduate of
the Washington and Lee university, now practicing law at Nor-
folk, Va.

John Richard Goode, of Richmond, Va., a veteran of Stuart's
cavalry, was born in Chesterfield county, Va., in the year 1836.
His family had long been residents of the State, and the grand-
father, Benjamin Goode, a native of Chesterfield county, served in
the war of 1812 with the rank of captain. At the age of fifteen
years he removed with his parents to Powhatan county, where he
received his education, and at the outbreak of war abandoned his
occupations to become a soldier in the Confederate service. He
enlisted, May 28. 1861. as orderly-sergeant in a company of the
Twentieth Virginia infantry, and subsequently served with this
command in the West Virginia campaign until after the battle
of Rich Mountain. The command met with such losses in that
engagement that it was disbanded in the fall of 1861, and he then
became a private in the Powhatan troop of cavalry, afterward en-
rolled as Company E of the Fourth Virginia cavalry. Soon after
the battle of Chancellorsville he was promoted sergeant, in which
rank he served until the close of the war, when he was paroled
at Richmond. His service included participation in the battle of
Rich Mountain, and then, after joining the cavalry, the skirmish
at Malvern Hill, soon after the Seven Days' battles, the raid around
Pope's army and the capture of his headquarters at Catlett's Sta-
tion, the raid through Pennsylvania from Carlisle to Gettysburg,
the battles of Trevilian's Station and Yellow Tavern, and an en-
gagement near Front Royal, where he was shot through the lungs,
a severe and dangerous wound which caused his disability from
August, 1864, to February, 1865. Subsequently he participated in
the movement from Richmond to Appomattox and joined in the
surrender of the army. Then he made his home in Powhatan
county for five years, after which he removed to Richmond, where
he has subsequently resided. In 1885 he engaged in business on



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 895

his own account and has met with flattering success. Still alive to
the memories of the army, he maintains memberships in Lee and
Pickett camps of Confederate Veterans and in the Powhatan troop
association, of which he has served as treasurer. In 1866 he was
married to Sarah E., daughter of the late Marlowe W. Atkinson, of
Powhatan county, who died, leaving two children, Wyatt L. and
Richard N. In 1874 he was married to Ann E., daughter of the
late John Keese, of Charlotte county, and they have two children,
John K. and Mary L.

Colonel J. Thomas Goode, a prominent artillery officer and com-
mander of the Wise brigade at the close of the war, and who was
directly in line for immediate promotion to the rank of brigadier-
general, was born in Mecklenburg county, Va., July 21, 1835, and
was educated at the Virginia military institute at Lexington, Va.
In 1855 he was commissioned second lieutenant of artillery in the
United States army and assigned to Company F, Fourth regiment,
with the following company officers: Capt. John C. Pemberton,
subsequently lieutenant-general C. S. A.; First Lieut. Stephen D.
Lee, subsequently lieutenant-general C. S. A.; First Lieut. Gustavus
A. DeRussy, subsequently colonel U. S. A., and Second Lieut. J.
Thomas Goode, subsequently colonel C. S. A. With this company
Lieutenant Goode served one year at Fort Hamilton, N. Y. harbor,
and commanded the post for month's during a scourge of yellow
fever, suffering severely with the malady himself. From there his
regiment was ordered to Florida, where he performed arduous
service in the Seminole war of 1856-57. With Stephen D. Lee,
then first lieutenant, he waded the everglades, swam rivers, and
was five days without food, excepting horse and alligators on the
fifth day, fought Indians and suffered much from chills and fever,
having several congestive chiUs. From Florida his regiment went
to Kansas to suppress the John Brown rebellion. He was then
promoted first lieutenant of Company A, same regiment, and went
to Utah in command of Companies A and E, Gen. Albert Sidney
Johnston's command. From Camp Floyd, Utah, he escorted sev-
eral companies of emigrants to California, having repeated en-
counters with Indians. In 1861 he resigned his commission in the
United States army to offer his services to his mother State, Vir-
ginia, and, in order to reach his home, ran the gauntlet of hostile
Indians and dareknights, traveling thirteen hundred miles by pri-
vate conveyance, bringing his wife and two little girls through the
Indian country with no escort save one hired man, a California
horse thief who boasted that he was coming east to steal horses
from the Federal army for the Confederates, and vice versa. He
was Hobson's choice, but proved faithful in this emergency. On
reaching St. Joseph, Mo., Lieutenant Goode was offered the
colonelcy of a Confederate regiment just formed, but, wishing to
bring his family to Virginia, had to decline. Reporting for duty
in Richmond, he was assigned to duty as chief of artillery at York-
town with rank of major, was afterward promoted lieutenant-
colonel an(i later full colonel. After the evacuation of Yorktown
Colonel Goode was directed by Gen. R. E. Lee to take charge of
the batteries around Richmond, but, finding only one small fort
with four smooth bore 32-pounders mounted, he appUed to have
his regiment temporarily armed with rifles that it might aid in the
defenses of the city. His command was in the battle of Seven



896 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Pines, and two companies manned the heavy guns at Drewry's
Bluff which repulsed the attack of the Federal gunboats Monitor
and Galena. The regiment was then assigned to Wise's brigade
and served with that command to the end of the war. After the
battle of Malvern Hill, Wise's brigade held the Southern line of
defenses to the Confederate capital until 1863, when it was assigned
to the command of Gen. G. T. Beauregard in South Carolina and
served in defense of Charleston and the sea coast until 1864, when
General Beauregard and his command were summoned to the de-
fense of Petersburg, Va. Wise's brigade fought and routed the
enemy at Stony Creek on the Weldon railroad whilst en route to
Petersburg, It fought and won the battles of Port Walthall Junc-
tion and Clay's Farm in Chesterfield county, and a series of battles
in front of Petersburg (in which Colonel Goode commanded the
brigade on and after the i6th of June, General Wise having been
placed on detached service), notably the isth, i6th, 17th and i8th of
June, and the battle of the Crater, July 30, 1864. "The last named
was one of the bloodiest battles of the civil war, lasting from 5
o'clock in the morning to 2 o'clock p. m. Wise's brigade was the
first command in line immediately on the right of the crater, and,
the object of the enemy being to widen the breach so as to march
his army in, he concentrated all the fire that could possibly be
brought to bear on this command, both infantry and artillery, and
the loss was appalling. One-third of the left regiment perished.
The brigade commander who remained with that regiment during
the day had to have the dead lifted out of the trenches to give room
for the living tc fight. About 2 o'clock Gen. Bushrod Johnson,
the division commander, appeared and directed Colonel Goode
to visit the crater and report its condition. He can never forget
the sickening scene he witnessed, dead and wounded Confederates
and Federals, both white and colored, lying together at the bot-
tom of the pit. General Wise having returned to the brigade,
Colonel Goode commanded his regiment in the hotly contested
battles of Hatcher's Run and Boydton Plank Road on the 29th
and 31st of March, 1865. On the retreat he was engaged in con-
tinued fighting, bringing up the rear most of the time. He fought
faithfully in the great battle of Sailor's Creek, which lasted from
dawn until dark. General Wise was promoted major-general from
that battle and Colonel Goode succeeded him as brigadier-general,
but, the Confederate authorities being then en route South and the
war closing in a few days, .they never received their commissions,
which they had faithfully won. Their last battle was at Appomattox
Court House, when the flags of truce were passing between Gen-
erals Grant and Lee. Goode made many hairbreadth escapes and
was struck three times, but was never seriously wounded. Since
the close of the war he has taken some part in public affairs, rep-
resenting his county in the legislature of Virginia in 1891-92. He
has been twice nominated for Congress since, but declined to run.
He is a son of the Hon. William O. Goode, who represented the
Fourth Virginia district in Congress for inany terms and had just
been re-elected at the time of his death.

Colonel Thomas F. Goode, of the Third Virginia cavalry, was
born in Roanoke county, Va., in 1827, the son of Thomas Goode,
M. D., a prominent physician of that region. He was educated in



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 897

the old field schools and the Episcopal high school at Alexandria,
and then studied law with Judge Edward R. Chambers, of Boyd-
ton, gaining admission to the bar in 1848. He engaged in the
practice of his profession at Boydton and speedily became prom-
inent at the bar as well as in public affairs generally. In 1856 he
was elected commonwealth attorney, an office which he held until
the outbreak of war, and for a short time after the close of the
same. He was a member of the famous State convention of 1861
which adopted the ordinance of secession, and with true loyalty to
his State, though in delicate health, entered thoro\ighly into the
work of preparing for military defense. He organized and was
given the rank of captain of the Mecklenburg troop of cavalry,
which subsequently became Company A of the Third Virginia cav-
alry regiment. During the first year of the war he commanded his
company, unattached, in General Magruder's department, the
peninsula, and upon the organization of the regiment was pro-
moted major, and soon rose through lieutenant-colonel to colonel.
In May, 1862, commanding the Third regiment, he served under
Stuart in guarding the withdrawal of the forces from Yorktown,
and during the fighting on the Telegraph road was sent by Stuart
with a hundred men to pursue a body of the enemy. Stuart re-
ported that when Colonel Goode came upon the enemy "a spirited
conflict ensued, in which the enemy's cavalry, after repeated
charges, was entirely routed and betook themselves to the shelter of
artillery and infantry." Stuart added: "Colonel Goode's gallant con-
duct and the bravery of his men deserve the highest praise. He cap-
tured the enemy's flag and withdrew, bringing his wounded in in a
very orderly manner." In his report of the battle of Williamsburg,
which soon followed. General Stuart alluded again to the "unfalter-
ing intrepidity" and patient endurance of the regiment under Col-
onel Goode's command. But it soon became apparent that, while
Colonel Goode's gallantry and efficient soldiership were such as to
attract the admiring mention of the famous Stuart, his health would
not permit him to follow his regiment through its glorious career.
After the battle of Seven Pines, and when he had been recom-
mended for promotion to brigadier-general, he was compelled to
retire from the active service. He served in the legislature a por-
tion of the term of 1863-64, but resigned on account of ill health.
After the close of hostilities he resumed the practice of law, but
gave this up because of his health in 1875. Soon afterward, at Buf-
falo Springs, he discovered the famous lithia water there, in the
development of which he took a leading part. He is now a resident
of Boydton, Va. In 1861 he was married to Rosa C, daughter of
Edward R. Chambers, and they have five children: Edward C., com-
monwealth attorney for Mecklenburg county; Thomas F., banker at
Boydton; John C. ; Marian K., wife of T. J. Briscoe, Knoxville,
Tenn., and Kate.

A. J. Goodrich, a well-known business man of Norfolk, who
served throughout the war as a private in the Norfolk Light Artil-
lery Blues, was born in Southampton county, Va., in 1839. He is
the son of E. L. Goodrich, who before the Confederate period was
an inspector of grain at Norfolk, and during the war was con-
nected with the navy yard at Charlotte, N. C. At the secession
of Virginia A. J. Goodrich went into active service as a member
of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues, a company organized thirty-



898 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

three years before. He was on duty when the powder was removed
from Fort Norfolk April 19, 1861. Not long afterward the com-
pany turned over its four brass howitzers to the Huger battery,
and served with the Sixteenth regiment, also in artillery service,
mainly at Sewell's point, until the abandonment of Norfolk.
During this time Private Goodrich witnessed the naval duel be-
tween the Virginia and Monitor. On reaching Petersburg the
company was furnished six guns, and assigned to the defenses of
Richmond. In the fall of 1862 Mr. Goodrich was with the com-
pany at Brandy Station ford on the Rappahannock, and later he
took part in the battle of Fredericksburg. In 1863 he fought at
Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, attached to Colonel Garnett's
battalion of artillery, and in 1864 he was at the front and in the
heat of the fight, in the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House,
Hanover Junction and Cold Harbor. During the siege of Peters-
burg he served on the lines to the right of the scene of the Crater
mine explosion and battle. At Hatcher's Run, April 2, 1865, he
was captured by the enemy, and being sent to Point Lookout, was
held there as a prisoner of war until June 14, 1865. Then returning
to Norfolk he resumed the mercantile pursuits he had entered upon
before the war, and after several years' service as a clerk, opened a
grocery establishment in 1873, which he conducted with much
success for about twenty years, then retiring from trade. He was
a director of the City gas company, and is now a member of the
street sewerage and drainage board.

John T. Goolrick, a prominent attorney of Fredericksburg, Va.,
was born at that city, September 10, 1845. His father, Hon. Peter
Goolrick, a native of Sligo, Ireland, and son of Bartholomew
Goolrick, was born in 1801, served as a midshipman in the British
navy until compelled by ill health to resign, came to America in
1820 and made his home at Fredericksburg, where he was pros-
perous as a merchant, served seven years as mayor, and died in
1868. His wife was Jane V., daughter of Charles Tackett, a dis-
tinguished Virginia educator of the former period. When John
T. Goolrick had reached the age of nineteen years he enlisted in
the Fredericksburg artillery, while the fighting was in progress
at Spottsylvania Court House, and participated in the remainder
of the campaign from the Wilderness to Richmond, including the
battle of Cold Harbor, and then served on the lines in defense of
the Confederate capital, taking part in the battle of the Crater,
and the battle of Fort Harrison on October 10, 1864. In the latter
fight he was wounded in the left leg, and, in consequence, was;
disabled until the latter part of March, 1865. After the close of
hostilities he completed his legal studies at the Valley law school
under Judge Richard Parker, brother of the late Capt. W. H.
Parker, and began the practice as a lawyer at Fredericksburg in
1870. In 1871 he was elected judge of the city court and judge of
the county court, and in this dual judicial capacity he served for
a period of twelve years In 1883 he resumed the practice as an
attorney and ha? continued the same since then, except during
two years, 1886-88, when he held the office of chief of divisions of
the postoffice department at Washington, D. C, under appoint-
ment of President Cleveland. He has also held for four years the



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 97 of 153)