Clement Anselm Evans.

Confederate military history; a library of Confederate States history online

. (page 98 of 153)
Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 98 of 153)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


office of commonwealth attorney for the city of Fredericksburg.
He was the first commander and is an active member of Maury



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 899

camp, Confederate Veterans. On June S, 1872, Judge Goolrick
was married to Frances Bernard White, daughter of Capt. Chester

B. White, U. S. A., who died in 1857 at Benicia barracks, Cali-
fornia. Her mother was Frances Hooe, of King George county,
a granddaughter of George Mason, of Gunston, the author of the
Virginia bill of rights and the intimate friend of General Wash-
ington. Mrs. Goolrick succeeded her mother as president of the
Confederate memorial society of Fredericksburg and served several
years as vice-president for Virginia, of the National Martha Wash-
ington monument association.

Lieutenant John Wotton Gordon, of Richmond, was born March
25, 1847, at Hertford, Perquimans county, N. C. His grandfather
was John Copeland Gordon, a wealthy planter at Woodlawn, N.

C, and the grandfather of the latter, coming from Loch Lo-
mond, Scotland, founded the family in America. His father,
George Bradford Gordon, a graduate of the State university and
a lawyer by profession, maintained a plantation near Gatesville,
N. C, where young Gordon was reared and prepared for college.
At the age of fourteen, the State having seceded from the Union,
he sought permission to enter one of the volunteer military com-
panies, but was instead sent to the Hillsboro military academy.
Returning, in the fall of 1862, to his home, then within the Federal
lines, he determined to join the Confederate forces, and, in Janu-
ary, 1863, mounted upon a pet mare of his own rearing, he passed
the picket line at Franklin, Va., and rode alone toward the lines
of the army of Northern Virginia. Near Drewry's blufT he fell
in with a squadron of cavalry, with whom he began his military
career at the age of fifteen years. On January 20, 1863, he enlisted
as a private in Company C, Second North Carolina cavalry,
which, with the Ninth, Tenth, Thirteenth and Fifteenth Virginia
regiments, composed the brigade of Gen. W. H. F. Lee. Soon
afterward he engaged in Longstreet's siege of Suffolk and had
the pleasure of doing his first fighting against regiments of Federal
cavalry which had pillaged his father's home. In this campaign,
during a fight on the Nansemond river, while acting as courier
for General McLaws, bearing a dispatch across a newly plowed
field, under fire of the enemy's sharpshooters, Gordon and his
horse were nearly buried in the mud thrown by a shell which
exploded upon the ground a few feet before them. His gallantry
and daring resulted in his clothing being several times pierced by
minie balls which sought closer touch, and, at Brandy Station,
June 9, 1863, he was disabled by two wounds and fell into the
hands of the enemy. After four weeks in hospital at Alexandria,
he was confined as a prisoner of war at the Old Capitol prison and
at Point Lookout until his exchange in February, 1864. On his
return to the ranks he was promoted corporal, and sergeant, and
finally aide-de-camp, with rank of first lieutenant, on the staff of
Gen. W P. Roberts, a gallant soldier who had rapidly risen from
the rank of orderly in Gordon's company to the command of a
brigade. Except when wounded and in prison Lieutenant Gordon
never missed a day's duty nor any of the engagements of his regi-
ment, among which, besides those mentioned, were the battles of
Beaver Dam, Ashland, Yellow Tavern, North Anna, White Oak
Swamp, Hanover, Hawe's Shop, Salem Church, Samaria, Malvern
Hill, Reams' Station and other affairs on the Weldon railroad.



900 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Poplar Springs Church, Stony Creek, Cabin Point, Blacks and
Whites, and other fights on Wilson's and Kautz' raids. Hatcher's
Run, etc. He was several times detailed on important duty. In
the early part of 1865 he was sent in charge of a detail to eastern
North Carolina on a reconnoissance on the Chowan river, and with
orders to break up a marauding band of deserters from both armies
who had their headquarters on Flax island. At the close of the
war Lieutenant Gordon found that his father, annoyed by Federal
raiders and the loss of his slaves, had sold his plantation and in-
vested all his wealth in Confederate bonds. Thus, at the age of
eighteen, being the oldest son of a penniless family, he heroically
devoted himself to their support by farming rented land. His
labors were eflfective, and, at the age of twenty-one, he was able
to leave the family in some comfort and accept an instructorship in
St. John's school, Wilmington. Here and at Frederick college,
Maryland, he taught until, in 1871, he returned to Wilmington,
and engaged in the business of fire insurance, in which he has since
been notably successful, being now general agent for several states
of the Hamburg-Bremen and United States fire insurance com-
panies, with headquarters at Richmond, Va. In 1876 he enlisted
as a private in the Wilmington light infantry and subsequently be-
came captain of the Whiting Rifles, from which he was promoted
lieutenant-colonel of the Second regiment North Carolina State
guard. Since 1879 he has resided at Richmond, Va., and has be-
come identified with the city's best interests. In 1877 he was mar-
ried to Miss Annie Pender, of Tarboro, N. C, a niece of Gen. W.
D. Pender.

Lieutenant Mason Gordon, of Charlottesville, Va., was born in
Albemarle county in 1840 and, at the beginning of hostilities be-
tween the North and South, left home as a private in the Albe-
marle Light Horse, a gallant cavalry organization which was after-
ward known as Company K of the Second Virginia cavalry, Gen-
eral Munford's old regiment. He served with his troop at the first
battle of Manassas, with Ashby and Jackson through the Shenan-
doah valley campaign of 1862, and Second Manassas, the frequent
skirmishes through Maryland and the battle of Sharpsburg. After
the latter battle he was detached from his regiment and ordered
to report to General Robertson in the department of Virginia and
North Carolina, with whom he served as second lieutenant. At a
later date he was attached to the command of General Whiting,
at Wilmington, where he remained until that city was evacuated
early in 1865. Then, joining the army under J. E. Johnston, he
participated in the battle of Bentonville in March. He was a gal-
lant soldier and an intelligent and faithful officer.

William A. Gordon, of Washington, D. C, who rendered effect-
ive service to the Confederacy in the engineer department of the
army of Northern Virginia, and since the war has been a promi-
nent attorney and financier of the National capital, was born in the
District of Columbia in 1841. His father, William A. Gordon,
was a native of Baltimore, was educated at the United States
military academy at West Point, and from about 1824 to 1874 held
the position of chief clerk of the quartermaster-general's office at
Washington. His maternal grandfather. Dr. James H. Blake, was
elected mayor of Washington in 1812, and was the intimate friend
of President Madison. He was educated at the Columbian col-



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 901

lege at Washington, receiving the degree of master of arts in 1861.
For a time he remained in the university as assistant professor of
mathematics and then began the study of law under the preceptor-
ship of Judge Robert Ould, then United States attorney for the
District of Columbia. In the meantime the war of the Confed-
eracy was under way and his sympathy with the South, which he
neither sought to conceal nor make obtrusive, became known to
the Federal authorities. In August, 1862, while on a visit to Bal-
timore, he was arrested upon a steamer, and, upon his refusal to
take the oath, was conveyed to Fort McHenry and held as a pris-
oner for several days. Then released through the influence of his
family he was ordered to return to Washington and report to the
officer in command. These reports were required to be made
weekly, and were kept up until in October following he was al-
lowed to accompany a party of prisoners for exchange to Rich-
mond. There he at once tendered his services to the Confederate
authorities and was appointed assistant engineer with the rank of
first lieutenant. His first assignment of duty was to make recon-
noissances in Fauquier, Culpeper and adjoining counties, with a
party under the protection of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. In the spring
of 1863 he was called to Richmond to accept a commission as lieu-
tenant of engineers, and reported to General Pickett, with whose
division he joined in the march to Gettysburg and was under fire
in that battle. On the return to Virginia he was ordered to Rich-
mond to take charge under Colonel Talcott of the regimental
headquarters of the First regiment of engineer troops, then being
organized under a special act of congress. Of this command he
was appointed acting adjutant and served in that capacity until the
organization was completed, when he declined the appointment of
adjutant and returned to his company of engineers. In this ca-
pacity he took part in the subsequent campaigns of the Wilderness,
Cold Harbor, the operations on James river and in the defense of
Petersburg, where, after the explosion of the Crater, he was put
in charge of Cook's salient, immediately to the right of the Crater,
where he protected that portion of the line by countermining, the
only work of the kind, so far as known, in the Confederate lines.
About five weeks before Petersburg was evacuated he was ordered
to Chesterfield county to construct bridges over the Appomattox.
By the time this work was concluded the evacuation occurred and
Lieutenant Gordon was assigned to the rear guard of the retreating
army, with orders to assist in directing the destruction of the
bridges. He was probably the last man of the Confederate army
to cross High Bridge, having applied the torch to that and an-
other bridge near it, under the fire of the enemy. Two days later
he surrendered at Appomattox. Returning to Washington he re-
sumed the study of law, and, though he could not be admitted to
the bar for several years on account of the test oath, has been en-
gaged in the practice since 1866. In this he has been quite suc-
cessful, and at the same time he has formed many important busi-
ness connections. He is president of the Washington safe deposit
company and of the Linthicum institute, vice-president of the
Traders' national bank and of the Columbia Title insurance com-
pany. He maintains a membership in the Washington camp of
Confederate Veterans. In 1875 Mr. Gordon was married to Har-
riette, daughter of Hon. Allen T. C. Caperton, senator from
Va S7



902 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

Virginia in the Confederate States senate and senator from West
Virginia, subsequently, in the United States senate. They have
four sons and a daugliter.

Patrick F. Gorman, of Alexandria, a veteran of Kemper's bat-
tery, was born in Kilkenny county, Ireland, February 14, 1842.
When five years of age he was brought by his parents to America,
the family first making its home in Massachusetts. After two
years' residence in that State they removed 'to Baltimore and a
year later to Alexandria, where Mr. Gorman was reared and edu-
cated. At the organization of the Alexandria Light Artillery, more
widely known as Kemper's battery, in February, 1861, he enlisted
as a private, and, in this command, served throughout the war,
earning promotion to the rank of sergeant. His military career
was identical with that of the battery, of which he furnishes the
following brief but comprehensive account: The organization
was mustered into the service April 17, 1861, and on June 17th
following was engaged in the affair at Vienna Station. On July
l8th the battery was in the action of Bull Run, and on July 21st
took an important part in the battle of Manassas. At the close
of that day No. i gun fired solid shot at a wagon on Stone bridge,
upsetting the wagon and causing a stampede of the Federal troops
at that place. Credit has been erroneously given for this action
to another battery, but Kemper's was the only artillery there at
that time. During the movement from Manassas to Richmond,
the battery served as rear guard upon one of the roads used by
the army, with several engagements en route, and in the vicinity
of Richmond was engaged in most of the actions on the Chick-
ahominy river and fought under General Magruder through the
Peninsular campaign. At Meadow bridge they were engaged and
during the Seven Days' battles did splendid service, including
several successful engagements on the line of the York River
railroad before reaching Savage Station, where the battery was
charged under heavy fire and attempted to be captured, but by
heroic action repulsed the attack. At Frayser's Farm, White Oak
Swamp and Malvern Hill they were also engaged with distinction.
Subsequently the battery served on the Pamunkey river near
White House and on the Nansemond river, including a fight with
the gunboat Stepping Stones and other vessels. Other service
was done at Franklin Station on the Seaboard & Roanoke rail-
road, and on the Blackwater river. During the investment of
Richmond the company was assigned to the Eighteenth Virginia
battalion, heavy artillery, and, serving as infantry, did creditable
service in all the fights about Richmond during the raids of
Stoneman, Dahlgren and Kilpatrick. It took part in the engage-
ments at Fort Gilmer, Darbytown Road aiid Charles City Court
House, and continued to serve in the lines of defense until the
evacuation of the capital. During the retreat the company was
several times engaged with the enemy, and finally surrendered at
Sailor's Creek, on April 6, 1865, after a gallant defense, in which
the enemy was three times repulsed. At sundown of that day
the command was surrounded by the Federal forces and compelled
to capitulate. In this battle Sergeant Gorman was seriously
wounded in the leg, and, after being captured, lay upon the battle-
field several days, after which he was taken to Port Walthall,
thence to City Point, Baltimore and Fort McHenry. At the



CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY. 903

solicitation of his father he was soon released, and then for two
years was at horae, incapacitated for work by his wound. Since
then he has been engaged as a boiler maker. He is highly re-
garded by the community, and, since 1889 has continuously held
the position of city tax collector. He was married October 24,
1S67, to Anna M. Germand, and they have eight children.

Abner W. Grandy, of Norfolk, who rendered brave and devoted
service as a private in the Sixty-first Virginia infantry, is a native
of North Carolina, born in Camden county, January 26, 1842. His
father, Evan Grandy, was a member of the Light Horse Dragoons,
organized for the Mexican war but never called out, and was the
son of Ammon Grandy, the latter the son of Absalom Grandy who
came from England early in the eighteenth century and occupied
a grant of land in Camden county bestowed upon him by Lord
Granville. Evan Grandy married Mary Williamson, whose father
was a native of England. She died when her son Abner was two
years old, and, four years later, in 1848, the father died at the
age of thirty-five years, leaving young Abner Grandy to the care
of his aunt, Mrs. Lydia Gregory. The latter, whose husband was
a grandson of General Gregory of the Continental army, gave the
boy a good primary education and had entered him at the Rey-
noldson institute in Gates county when the war of the Confederacy
drew him from his studies to the field of battle. Leaving school
in May, 1861, he volunteered at Norfolk in Company C of the
Sixty-first regiment. With this regiment, subsequently being
transferred to Company B, he served as a private throughout the
war, sharing the fortunes of Mahone's brigade and participating
in all the battles of the army of Northern Virginia from Seven
Pines to Appomattox, except when disabled by wounds. He
fought at Seven Pines, through the Seven Days' battles, at Ma-
nassas, Sharpsburg, both battles at Fredericksburg, Chancellors-
ville, Salem Church, Gettysburg, Brandy Station, Mine Run, the
Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, the Crater, Wilcox's
Farm, Reams' Station, Burgess' Mill and Hatcher's Run. In the
fight of May 12th, at Spottsylvania, he was severely wounded,
causing him to miss the fighting at Cold Harbor, and at Hatcher's
Run, on February 6, 1865, he received a wound through the right
lung which ended his service a few weeks before the close of the
war. During the subsequent years of peace he has made his home
at Norfolk, where for nearly thirty years he was occupied as ai
drygoods salesman. During the past year he has held the office of
scaler of weights and measures of the city, to which he was elected
in the spring of 1896, by the largest majority ever given a munic-
ipal candidate, 3,615 votes, an eloquent testimonial of the esteem
in which he is held by the people. He is a member of Pickett-
Buchanan camp, the Baptist church and the Masonic order. On
August IS, 1869, he was married to Amelia Trafton, and they have
four children living: Lily L. Grandy, Mary Grandy, Herbert L.
Grandy and Bruce Grandy.

Captain Charles Grattan, of Staunton, Va., who served with
distinction in the artillery of the army of Northern Virginia, was
born in Albemarle county, December 8, 1833. He was reared in
Rockingham county and was there elected to the legislature in
1859. Subsequently he entered the university of Virginia for the
study of law, and while there entered the military service of the



904 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

State at the time of the passage of the ordinance of secession
joining the forces which assembled at Harper's Ferry and seized
that post. Then, being detailed to the quartermaster's department
under Major-Generai harper, he served there until the meeting
of the State legislature in December, 1861, he having been re-
elected from Rockingham county. At tiie close of the session he
passed the ordnance examination and was assigned to Cabell's
battalion of artillery with the rank of first lieutenant. Soon after
the battle of Chanceilorsville he was promoted captain and placed
in charge of the reserve ordnance of Longstreet's corps. Subse-
quently he was transferred to the Second corps and put in charge
of the field park of the corps. After the battle of Gettysburg he
was promoted chief of ordnance with rank of captain in the corps
of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, with whom he served, and his successor,
Gen. Wade Hampton, until the close of the war. Captain Grattan
remained in Virginia when Hampton went South and at the time
of the surrender was at Staunton, having been engaged in gather-
ing up the artillery abandoned at Waynesboro, at Early's defeat,
and was on his way to rejoin the army. During his service he
participated in the battles of First Manassas, Fredericksburg,
Chanceilorsville, the three days at Gettysburg, the Wilderness,
Spottsylvania Court House, Yellow Tavern, Waynesboro, Mine
Run, 'Trevilian's, Jack's Shop, and all the cavalry fights of Stuart
and Hampton after his association with them. He was paroled
in June, 1865, and after farming in Augusta county until 1871 he
made his home at Staunton, and resumed the profession of law,
upon which he had embarked at the beginning of the war. For
two years he has served as commissioner of immigration for Vir-
ginia. In 1888 he was elected to fill the unexpired term of Judge
Smith, of the hustings court of Augusta county, was re-elected
and in 1894 again re-elected for a term of six years.

Captain Peyton B. Gravely, of Danville, Va., was born in Henry
county. May 15, 1835. His father, Willis Gravely, also a native of
Henry county and the son of a Revolutionary soldier, Joseph
Gravely, married Ann Marshall Barrow, who was related to the
distinguished Marshall family of Virginia. Five of their sons were
in the Confederate army, Peyton B., William A., Marshall F.,
Joseph H. H., and Chester B. Two of these, William and Mar-
shall, were 'killed in battle. Peyton B. received a liberal educa-
tion at various prominent academies of that day and at Emory
and Henry college, and in i8s7 became a partner of his father
in the manufacture of tobacco. This occupation he abandoned
on April 9, 1861, to enlist in the Danville artillery, with which he
served one year as sergeant, participating in the battles of Laurel
Hill and Carrick's Ford, and the engagements of Stonewall Jack-
son's campaign in the Shenandoah valley. At the reorganization
he was elected captain of Company F, Forty-second regiment,
Virginia infantry, Jones' brigade, Jackson's division, with which
he served throughout the greater part of the war, participating in
the battles of Seven Pines, the Seven Days' campaign. Second
Manassas, Frederick City, Harper's Ferry, Fredericksburg, Chan-
ceilorsville, Winchester, Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness,
Spottsylvania Court House (where he escaped the general disaster
at the "bloody angle"). Cold Harbor, Hatcher's Run, Sailor's
Creek, and other fights. He served for some time as adjutant of



CONFEDERA TE MILITARY HISTORY. 905

his regiment, and was later assigned to the staff of Gen. Bradley
T. Johnson.- He was wounded four times, most severely at the
Wilderness, where he was shot through the shoulder. At Cedar
Creek he was captured, but managed to escape. At Appomattox
he was on the skirmish line April 9, 1865. Subsequently Captam
Gravely resided in Henry county until 1870, when he removed to
Danville and continued in his manufacturing business. He is a
member of Cabell-Graves camp. Confederate Veterans. In 1871
he was married to Mary F. Walters, and they have five children:
Kate W., now Mrs. George C. Cabell, Jr.; Peyton, James G.,
Nancy D., and Mary V.

Captain David Coffman Grayson, a native of Virginia, who is
engaged in business at Washington, D. C, was born at Luray
in 1838, the son of Benjamin F. Grayson, who held the office of
sheriff of Page county, Va., for twenty-three years. From the
age of fourteen he acted as deputy sheriff, and in 1859 was grad-
uated at the Baltimore business college. On June 2, 1861, he
entered the service of the Confederate States, and, going to Har-
per's Ferry, was assigned to the Tenth Virginia regiment of
infantry, as third lieutenant of Company K, formerly known as
the Page Guards. He served in this rank until May, 1862, when
he began to command the company, and in October, 1863, he
was promoted captain. He participated in the battles of First
Manassas, McDowell, Winchester, Port Republic, Gaines' Mill,
Frayser's Farm, Malvern Hill, Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville,
the Milroy fight at Winchester, the second and third days at
Gettysburg, Mine Run, Bristoe Station and Spottsylvania Court
House. At Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862, he was shot through
the lungs and pronounced fatally wounded, but recovered so as to
be able for duty in the following February. At the battle of
Chancellorsville he was captured and exchanged after six weeks'
confinement at the Old Capitol prison. He was again captured
at Spottsylvania Court House and held three months at Fort
Delaware, then sent to Morris island and kept under fire for
forty-three days. After this latter severe experience he was con-
fined at Fort Pulaski, with rations of ten ounces of cornmeal a
day and no meat, from October, 1864, until March, 1865. He was
held further at Fort Delaware, until released June 15, 1865. After
the war he engaged in business at Luray and Alexandria, and in
1870 at Baltimore in the wholesale grocery trade. Since 1873 he
has been in the lumber trade at Washington.

Bernard P. Green, a citizen of Warrenton, Va., who is con-
nected with the engineering department of the government of the
District of Columbia, was born at Richmond. Va., in 1842. His
family has been identified with the history of the Old Dominion
since 1712, when the founder of the family in America, Robert
Green, emigrated from England. Since then the family has been
distinguished in the military service of the State. John Green, a
son of the founder, served as colonel of the Culpeper Minute
Men, or the Sixth Virginia regiment, during the war of the Revo-
lution. Gen. Moses Green, a son of the latter, was distinguished
in the war of 1812, and his son, Thomas Green, who died in 1882
at the age of eighty-four years, held the rank of colonel in thd
Virginia militia. The profession of the latter was that of attorney
at law. His son, Bernard P. Green, was brought to Washington



906 CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.



Online LibraryClement Anselm EvansConfederate military history; a library of Confederate States history → online text (page 98 of 153)