Conn.) Wesleyan University (Middletown.

Alumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn online

. (page 1 of 111)
Online LibraryConn.) Wesleyan University (MiddletownAlumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn → online text (page 1 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


^-ss -T
W*,




ft










ALUMNI RECORD



OF



WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY



MIDDLETOWN, CONN.



FIFTH EDITION
1921



EDITED BY

FRANK W. NICOLSON
Dean of the University



THE TUTTLE, MOREHOUSE & TAYLOR COMPANY
New Haven, Conn.



,4



CONTENTS



PAGE

PREFACE v

HISTORICAL SKETCH vii

ANNALS, 1910-1921 xix

TRUSTEES xxv

FACULTY xxxiii

RECORDS OF THE FACULTY, NOT WESLEYAN GRADUATES xlviii

GRADUATES I

NON-GRADUATES 612

MASTERS OF ARTS OR OF SCIENCE, NOT WESLEYAN GRADUATES . . 847

HONORARY ALUMNI 850

SUMMARY 910

INDEX 911



488032



PREFACE



Four editions of the Alumni Record of Wesleyan University have been
published to date. The first (1869) was compiled and published at his
own expense by Orange Judd, '47; the second (1873) was published by
the Alumni Association; the third (1883) and the fourth (1911) were
issued by the University. This fifth edition was authorized by the
Trustees in May, 1919, but publication has been delayed by the high cost
of printing. The present intention is to issue a sixth edition in 1931,
when the college celebrates its one hundredth anniversary.

The plan of this book follows that of 1911, but with certain curtail-
ments, due to limitation of space, and with some additional matter. With
the large graduating classes of recent years, the number of individual
records to be treated has risen to over 6,500 ; an account of each, as com-
plete as in the previous edition, would have made a book too cumbersome
for convenient use. Therefore the records of those who died before
1911 are given in this edition in condensed form, though all essential
facts are stated ; and, in order to save further space, the appointments
of Methodist Episcopal ministers are not given year by year, but only
their Conference relations.

In accord with the practice of a number of colleges and universities
which have adopted this method, among others, of emphasizing the
importance of high scholarship, a new feature in this edition is the men-
tion of honors achieved at graduation. Up to the year 1873 the highest
scholar of a graduating class at Wesleyan was termed the Valedictorian,
the second in rank, the Salutatorian; the abbreviations Valedic. and
Salut. after the bachelor's degree in this book indicate these respective
honors. Beginning in 1874, honors in general scholarship were awarded
in two grades, first and second, and special honors were granted in the
several departments of study. Since 1897, honors in general scholar-
ship have been distinguished as honors and high honors, and honors in
the several departments of study are also divided into two groups, simi-
larly named. With this explanation, the italic abbreviations after the
bachelor's degree in the book will, it is hoped, be intelligible. The fol-
lowing further explanatory remarks may be offered concerning certain
other features:

Abbreviations. Only those in common use have been employed, as, for
instance, b. for born, m. for married, d. for died. An asterisk before a
name indicates decease.

Degrees. All degrees are from Wes^an University, unless other-
wise stated, except that in a few cases, for lack of information, M.D. is
printed without indication of the college from which it was received.



WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY ALUMNI RECORD.

Bibliography. On account of lack of space it has been impossible to
include mention of articles and ephemeral publications; the titles of
books only are given, and in many cases merely a selection of titles from
a long list

Fraternities. Mention of fraternities is restricted to those in active
existence at the present time, including the Commons Club. These are,
in the order of their establishment: Phi Nu Theta (Eclectic), Psi
Upsilon, Chi Psi, Alpha Delta Phi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Beta Theta Pi,
Commons Club, Delta Tau Delta, Alpha Chi Rho, Delta Upsilon, Sigma
Nu, and Gamma Psi.

The committee of the Trustees charged with the publication of the
Fifth Edition of the Record consists of Dr. David G. Downey, '84, Mr.
Henry I. Harriman, '95, and Dr. Frank K. Hallock, '82, to each of
whom the Editor is greatly indebted for advice and assistance.

FRANK W. NICOLSON.



VI



HISTORICAL SKETCH OF WESLEYAN
UNIVERSITY



It was not until about the close of the first quarter of the last century
that the Methodist Episcopal Church began to give any very earnest and
hearty patronage to the cause of higher education. Between the years
1824 and 1826, the flourishing seminaries at Wilbraham, Kents Hill, and
Cazenovia were opened under the auspices of the denomination, and
immediately secured a large attendance. While the seminaries served to
foster and encourage the newly-awakened interest in education, the lead-
ing minds of the Church became convinced of the need of some institu-
tion of collegiate rank, located in New England or New York, which
should provide facilities for the highest intellectual culture.

At this juncture, a seeming accident turned their attention to Middle-
town, Conn., and secured the immediate establishment of the projected
institution at this place. In 1825, Capt. Alden Partridge, first Superin-
tendent of the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, opened in Mid-
dletown the "American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy."
Through the liberality of the citizens of Middletown, two substantial
stone buildings had been erected for the school; and it was for a short
time very prosperous, drawing cadets from almost every state in the
Union. Its prosperity, however, soon waned; and, because of failure to
obtain a charter from the Legislature, it was removed, early in 1829, to
Norwich, Vt, leaving vacant the buildings it had occupied. The Rev.
Laban Clark, D.D., then Presiding Elder of the New Haven District,
happened shortly after to be in Middletown; and being informed that
one of the trustees of these buildings had casually suggested selling them
to the Methodists, for the sum of five thousand dollars, he at once noti-
fied them that he would be one of ten to purchase the property, and
would promptly secure the other nine. This led to the serious considera-
tion of the matter; and at the ensuing session of the New York Con-
ference, May, 1829, Dr. Clark presented from the trustees proposals for
the transfer of the property in due form, and urged their acceptance
upon the conference. A committee, consisting of James Emory, Samuel
Lucky, and Heman Bangs, was appointed to consider these proposals.
The New England Conference, being invited to unite in the project,
appointed Timothy Merritt, S. Martindale, and Willbur Fisk to act in
conjunction with the New York Committee.

The first act of this joint committee was to issue proposals inviting
the several towns within a specified region to compete for the location

vii



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

of the college by the offer of subscriptions. Liberal offers came from
Troy, N." Y., Bridgeport, Conn., and Wilbraham, Mass. ; but those from
Middletown were now so modified that the committee had no hesitation
in preferring them. The trustees of the Academy, with the consent of
the stockholders, offered the entire property, valued at about $30,000, to
the conferences, on the two conditions, that it should be perpetually used
for a college or university, and that a fund of $40,000 should first be
raised for the endowment of the college. About $18,000 of this fund
was promptly subscribed by citizens of Middletown. The report of the
committee recommending the acceptance of this offer was adopted at
the session of conference in May, 1830. The $40,000 was soon raised,
trustees were at once chosen, and the college organized under the name,
"The Wesleyan University."

At the first meeting of the joint Board of Trustees and Visitors,
August 24, 1830, the Rev. Willbur Fisk, D.D., then principal of Wes-
leyan Academy, was elected first President of the Wesleyan University.
In October of the same year, a preparatory school was opened in the
buildings, under the superintendence of the Rev. W. C. Larrabee. In
May, 1831, a charter was granted the University which provided that the
institution should be non-sectarian in character; and on the twenty-first
of the following September its halls were opened to students. The
Faculty consisted of President Fisk, Professors Augustus W. Smith and
John Mott Smith, and Tutor W. Magoun. At first, in accordance with
the peculiar views of President Fisk, which were afterwards entertained
by Presidents Wayland of Brown and Marsh of the University of
Vermont, the proficiency of the student was made the only basis of
classification; and any student able to pass the requisite examination
received a diploma, without regard to the time he had spent in college.
This plan, however, was soon abandoned, and the usual system of classi-
fication adopted in its stead. It is worthy of note, that the Wesleyan
University anticipated another of the most important features of the
new education, by establishing, very early in its history, a scientific
course, to meet the wants of those who wished to obtain advanced
literary and scientific training, but whose tastes or circumstances forbade
the ordinary classical course. In its early days of poverty and of
struggle, the institution had many faithful and earnest friends, among
whom Dr. Laban Clark and Dr. Heman Bangs are worthy of especial
mention ; but to no one was it so deeply indebted as to its President,
Willbur Fisk. His pure and lofty piety and his gentle and winning
manner endeared him to all who knew him ; while his tact and prudence,
his high administrative ability, his thorough culture and extensive repu-
tation, and his untiring efforts in behalf of the University, soon assured
its success, and secured for it general recognition.

At the death of Dr. Fisk, in 1839, Dr. Stephen Olin, then in Europe,
was elected President. On his return from Europe, the following year,
Dr. Olin found himself too feeble to assume the duties of the presi-
dency, and consequently resigned it early in 1841. In February of that

viii



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

year, Dr. Nathan Bangs was elected to the vacant post. Dr. Bangs,
then in the midst of a long and honorable career, felt that the sphere
of his greatest usefulness lay elsewhere; he accepted the position with
reluctance, and in July, 1842, willingly resigned it to Dr. Olin, whose
health had now so improved as to justify his acceptance.

Dr. Olin's fame as a pulpit orator, and his previous success in a similar
situation, caused him to be greeted with an enthusiastic welcome. His
health was so feeble as never to allow him to devote himself as he wished
to the work of instruction. He was, however, very successful in improv-
ing the financial condition of the University, and extending its reputation ;
and his noble and commanding character was itself an inspiration to
all the students under his charge. He received very efficient aid in the
general administration of the University from Professor Augustus W.
Smith, LL.D., who for several years filled the office of Vice-President.

Dr. Olin died in 1851. After an interval of a year, Professor Smith
was elected to the chair of President. Dr. Smith had been connected
with the University from the beginning; he was a most thorough
scholar, and extended, while President, the high and well-deserved
reputation he had won as a professor of mathematics. It was the con-
stant desire of President Smith, during the whole term of his adminis-
tration, to secure such an endowment fund for the University as would
relieve it from the constant pressure of financial embarrassment, and
assure its continued existence and prosperity. About $100,000 was sub-
scribed to this fund; and although, as is usual in such cases, the full
amount subscribed was never realized, yet by the persevering labors of
President Smith, ably aided by Professor H. B. Lane, more than $80,000
was at this time invested for the endowment of professorships. Mr.
Isaac Rich, of Boston, was the chief donor to this fund.

Upon the resignation of President Smith, in 1857, the Rev. Joseph
Cummings, D.D., LL.D., President of Genesee College (B.A., Wesleyan,
1840), was elected to the vacant post, although he did not assume office
until the spring of 1858. The personal force and energy of President
Cummings, his tireless industry, his hearty devotion to the welfare of the
University, together with his skill and popularity as an instructor, com-
bined to make his administration in many respects a very successful
one. It was particularly marked by the growth of the material interests
of the institution, in which President Cummings always took especial
concern. To his labors the University is principally indebted for the
line of noble buildings that now crown the hill.

During the Commencement week of 1868, a new and tasteful, library
building, capable of containing ninety thousand volumes, was dedicated.
This building was erected by the late Mr. Isaac Rich, at a cost of
$40,000. During the same week, the contributions of Mr. Rich to the
Endowment Fund were increased to $100,000. In the fall of 1868, the
old "Boarding Hall" was remodeled and transformed into "Observatory
Hall," by the addition of a tower, in which was placed one of Alvan
Clark's finest refracting telescopes. The Commencement season of 1871

ix



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

was rendered memorable by the dedication of two new and beautiful
buildings. The one, the Memorial Chapel, was erected at a cost of about
$60,000, in memory of those alumni and students who fell in the war for
the Union. The funds for the erection of this chapel were mostly
raised by general subscription during the centenary year, 1866. The
other building was the Orange Judd Hall of Natural Science, erected
during the years 1869-71, at a cost of $100,000. For this building the
University is indebted to the munificence of Orange Judd (B.A., Wes-
leyan, 1847), of New York, N. Y., who will ever be remembered as
one of the most faithful and generous friends of his Alma Mater.

It was during this period also that provision was made for the regular
increase of the library and the scientific collections of the University.
During the years 1864-65, a library fund amounting to $27,600 was
raised by the alumni. This fund, although originally none too large,
and afterwards somewhat depleted by unfortunate investments, secured
for the library a continuous, if not a very rapid, growth. The completion
of the Orange Judd Hall of Natural Science, in 1872, provided ample
accommodations for the proper care and arrangement of the scientific
collections of the University; and in the years immediately following,
large additions were made to these collections, chiefly by the endeavors
of Mr. G. Brown Goode (B.A., Wesleyan, 1870), then Curator of the
Museum. Since that time the growth of the Museum has been constant
and rapid. In 1872 the college curriculum was enlarged, especially in
the department of natural science, and modified by the extension of the
elective system ; and in the fall of that year the halls of the University
were, for the first time, opened to women.

President Cummings resigned his position in June, 1875, though he
continued in charge of the department of philosophy until January, 1878.
At a special meeting, held July 28, 1875, the Trustees elected as the
successor of President Cummings, the Rev. Cyrus D. Foss, D.D. (B.A.,
Wesleyan, 1854). President Foss entered upon the duties of his office
at the opening of the fall term, and was formally inaugurated October
26, 1875. He found it necessary to give immediate attention to the
enlargement of the permanent funds of the University. The growth of
the endowment during the previous ten years had by no means kept pace
with the growth of the unproductive wealth of the University in buildings,
collections, and other material facilities. The increase in the number
of buildings and the needful enlargements of the course of study ren-
dered the annual expenditures, of necessity, greater than ever; while,
on the other hand, in the stagnation of business and general financial
depression that followed the panic of 1873, the productive property of
the University had depreciated greatly in value. In March, 1876, a com-
mittee of the Trustees decided that only about one-half of the bills
receivable reported at the previous Commencement could be any longer
considered good. A debt, allowed gradually to increase for twenty
years, had reached the sum of $60,000; while the total amount of funds
from which income was available was only $141,000. The annual expen-



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

diture was about $46,000; the annual income from all sources only
$20,000. In these circumstances, it was evident to quote the words of
President Foss in his report to the conference in 1876 that "only
large and generous help, promptly given to the institution, could save
it from disaster." Never, perhaps, was the University in a more critical
position. It is gratifying to be able to record that the generosity of
its friends soon removed it out of urgent danger. A committee appointed
by the Alumni Association appealed for aid to all the graduates of the
college. In response to this appeal about $40,000 was subscribed, of
which the greater part was paid. Still more largely liberal was the
response to the untiring energy of President Foss. The inevitable
annual deficit, while it yet continued, was met by generous -annual sub-
scriptions, in advance, chiefly from the Trustees. The debt of the Uni-
versity was paid. Largely by his efforts, the "Centennial Fund," started
in 1876, was carried to about $400,000, some of which was not paid in
until after his retirement from the presidency. During the five years of
his administration, nearly $250,000 was added to the permanent produc-
tive funds. If the needs of the University were still great, the danger
of immediate disaster was past. Of the group of generous friends whose
liberality brought this timely aid, the largest giver was Hon. George I.
Seney (non-graduate, class of 1845), who began then the series of his
princely gifts.

But it was not financial success alone that marked the administration
of President Foss, A character so noble, a kindness and courtesy so
unvarying, an enthusiasm for goodness so inspiring, a piety so high and
pure these could not fail of their effect upon all who knew him. His
influence was itself an education of the best sort. No president of
Wesleyan University was ever more respected; none was ever better
beloved.

In May of 1880, President Foss was called by the General Confer-
ence of the Methodist Episcopal Church to fill the highest office in the
gift of the Church. At the annual meeting of the Trustees in June fol-
lowing, the place thus made vacant was filled by the election of the Rev.
John W. Beach, D.D. (B.A., Wesleyan, 1845). President Beach brought
to his position a sound, conservative scholarship, combined with energy
and caution in the management of practical affairs and a remarkable
mastery of administrative details. The opening years of his adminis-
tration promised a large increase in the resources of the University, but
adverse circumstances prevented the complete fulfillment of that promise.
A period of general financial stringency came on. There was a shrinkage
in rates of interest, and Mr. Seney, the most liberal benefactor of the
University thus far, who had already given over $175,000, found it
impossible to pay the large additional sum which he had promised in
the first year of President Beach's administration. For some years,
therefore, the University grew but slowly, yet it continued to grow.
No additional debts were incurred, the number of the Faculty was not
lessened, while the number of students steadily, though slowly, increased.

xi



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

President Beach retired from office in 1887, and Senior Professor
John M. Van Vleck (B.A., Wesleyan, 1850), to whose wise counsels
Wesleyan University had owed so much ever since its early days, served
as Acting-President for two years. In November, 1888, the Rev.
Bradford Paul Raymond, Ph.D., D.D., LL.D., was elected President,
but did not assume the duties of his office until the beginning of the
next college year, in September, 1889. At the time of his election, Presi-
dent Raymond was at the head of Lawrence University, in Appleton,
Wis. He had enjoyed a thorough educational training, and brought to
his new office enthusiasm, vigor, and liberal notions of educational policy.
He held the chair of President until 1908, a longer period than that of
any preceding President.

Those nineteen years were marked by great advancement in almost
every department of the college life. In December, 1889, Dr. Daniel
Ayres (non-graduate, class of 1842) gave to the University securities to
the value of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, "for scientific pur-
poses." In the next year, 1890, by the will of D. B. Fayerweather,
Wesleyan received a bequest of one hundred thousand dollars and a share
in the residue of the estate. There was considerable litigation attending
the settlement of the estate, but the University has received in all from
that source the sum of nearly $224,000. Twenty-five thousand dollars of
the Fayerweather bequest was added to an amount already raised by
subscription for a new college gymnasium ; and this building, the
Fayerweather Gymnasium, was formally dedicated in October, 1895.
With this exception, the full amount of* these two large bequests was
devoted to the increase of the permanent Endowment Fund. Other gifts
from time to time increased this permanent Endowment Fund before the
close of the term of President Raymond to the sum of $1,506,909.

The real property of the University also largely increased during
President Raymond's term. In the summer of 1893 the interior of old
North College was entirely renovated by Mr. John E. Andrus (B.A.,
Wesleyan, 1862) at an expense of about $26,500. In 1903-04 a new
physical laboratory was erected by the liberality of Mr. Charles Scott
and Mr. Charles Scott, Jr. (B.A., Wesleyan, 1886), of Philadelphia, to
be called the John Bell Scott Laboratory of Physics, in memory of John
Bell Scott of the class of 1881, who died while serving as naval chaplain
during the Spanish war of 1898. This well-appointed building cost
about $117,000. During the same years the Willbur Fisk Hall on High
Street was erected at a cost of about $118,000, and was paid for
mostly by individual gifts in the "Twentieth Century Thank Offering
Movement."

On the morning of March i, 1906, the old North College burned to
the ground. The new structure, which took its place and occupies the
same site, was opened in January, 1908. It cost about $134,000.

The Alumni Library Fund, which had originally amounted to $27,600,
had been reduced by unfortunate investments to about $18,000, a sum
altogether inadequate to the needs of the library. In the Commencement



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

season of 1895, a movement was started to increase this fund by a general
subscription among the alumni, and Mr. John E. Andrus, '62, generously
offered to give one dollar for every three that should be thus contributed.
The sum raised in this way amounted to $16,857. Then, in the fall of
1898, the library received the sum of $30,000 and a choice collection of
6,000 volumes by the will of the Rev. Albert S. Hunt, D.D. (B.A., Wes-
leyan, 1851). Three years later the Library Fund received a further
addition of $20,000 from a bequest of Mrs. Stephen Wilcox, of Brooklyn,
N. Y. The Library Fund was thus increased to more than $89,000.

The total property of the University increased in these ways amounted,
at the close of the administration of President Raymond, to $2,589,923,
having more than doubled since he took office.

The question of co-education was a matter of earnest discussion during
the whole term of President Raymond. So long as there were com-
paratively few women in college their presence excited little opposition,
but after 1890 thejr number rapidly increased. In March, 1899, the
Trustees authorized the appointment of a joint committee of Trustees,
Faculty, and alumni to consider the whole question of co-education in
Wesleyan University. The deliberations of this committee lasted some-
what over a year, and they were not able then to agree upon a unanimous
report. But as the result of their deliberations, in June of 1900 the
Trustees voted that the number of women to be admitted to the college
in future should be limited to twenty per cent, of the total number of
students in the preceding year. This action, however, like all measures



Online LibraryConn.) Wesleyan University (MiddletownAlumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn → online text (page 1 of 111)