Conn.) Wesleyan University (Middletown.

Alumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn online

. (page 2 of 111)
Online LibraryConn.) Wesleyan University (MiddletownAlumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn → online text (page 2 of 111)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of compromise, was not really satisfactory to anybody, and the opposi-
tion to co-education, although less bitter and pronounced, continued,
until finally, in February, 1909, the Trustees voted that no women should
be admitted to any class later than that entering in 1909. In point of
fact, no women presented themselves for admission after the passage
of that vote, and with the graduation of the class of 1912 the presence
of women undergraduates ceased. The Trustees in a later resolution
made it clear that women may be admitted as graduate students, and a
few have availed themselves of the privilege.

The large addition to the resources of the University during President
Raymond's administration allowed an expansion of the course of study
and an increase in the number of the Faculty. When he took office
the Faculty numbered twenty. When he resigned it numbered thirty-
seven. There was also a corresponding increase in the number of
students enrolled. Appropriations were made by the State and the
National Government for the prosecution of scientific research in the
laboratories of the University, and it was in this period that the important
investigations of Professors Atwater, Rosa, Benedict, and Conn did
much to extend the reputation of the University.

But large as was the increase in the resources of the University, its
expenditures more than kept pace with its income, until during the last
few years of President Raymond's term there was a considerable annual
deficit. The cares and responsibilities 'of his office, increasing with the

xiii



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

growth of the University, told heavily upon the health of Presi
Raymond, and he was obliged in the summer of 1907 to tender his
resignation, to take effect in 1908. He accepted the position of Professor
of the English Bible, but his continued ill health rendered it impossible
for him to perform the duties of that office, and, in 1909, he was retired
as Professor Emeritus. He continued until his death in 1916 to reside
in Middletown, where his genial, sympathetic nature had won for him
the lasting respect and love of a host of friends. Through the major
part of his administration President Raymond was ably assisted in the
conduct of the internal affairs of the University by Professor John M.
Van Vleck, who held the office of Vice-President from 1890 to 1903,
and for a third time served as Acting-President during Dr. Raymond's
absence on leave in 1896-97.

On the resignation of President Raymond, Professor William North
Rice, '65, who, since the retirement of Professor Van Vleck, had been
the senior professor in active service, was made Acting-President, and
he filled that office for an interregnum of two years. On November 13,
1908, the Trustees elected to the presidency William Arnold Shanklin,
D.D., LL.D., then President of Upper Iowa University. President
Shanklin assumed the duties of his office immediately after Commence-
ment, 1909, and was formally inaugurated on November 12, 1909. He
devoted his first year to familiarizing himself with the details of adminis-
tration and forming acquaintance with the student body, and with the
patrons and friends of the University. The next year, 1910-11, he
engaged in an effort to secure an addition of $1,000,000 to the resources
of the University. From the outset his remarkable energy and the
charm of his personality evoked most general and hearty enthusiasm,
stimulated everywhere the interest and loyalty of the alumni and friends
of the University, and thus assured the success of his administration.

One of the first tasks which President Shanklin set for himself was
the improvement of the financial condition of the University. As a
result of the vigorous campaign of 1910 and 1911, he was able to announce
in June, 1912, that subscriptions were in hand amounting to $1,043,828.
Practically every subscription was ultimately paid in full. This very
considerable addition to the endowment funds made possible the payment
of a deficit of $90,000 which had accumulated in recent years, the enlarge-
ment of the Faculty, an increase in salaries, and the setting aside of a
small surplus to meet future needs.

A programme of conservative but steady advancement in educational
policy was inaugurated at the first Faculty meeting over which President
Shanklin presided, by the appointment of a special committee on the
improvement of scholarship. Within the next few years the requirements
for promotion and graduation were raised to a higher standard by the
adoption of a number of recommendations from this committee.

The normal development of the University was interrupted by the
conditions which grew out of the Great War. Shortly after its outbreak



xiv



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

much interest in military matters began to be manifested. In 1915
several alumni and students attended the summer training camp in
Plattsburg, N. Y. In 1916 a still larger number were in attendance. A
Reserve Officers' Training Corps was authorized in 1916, and established
shortly before the declaration of war in April, 1917. The Faculty had
already voted to put the facilities and equipment of the University at
the disposal of the National Government, and to adjust generously the
credits for uncompleted courses in the case of students entering the
national service. The response of both alumni and students to the call
of the nation was prompt and general. In the spring of 1918 a broad
"scheme was adopted for the fuller adaptation of the curriculum to the
requirements of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, and this scheme
was readily adjusted to the plan prepared in the ensuing summer by the
War Department for the establishment of the Student Army Training
Corps. President Shanklin had a part in the preparation of this plan
as a member of the Committee of Seven representing the Emergency
Council on Education, comprising all the institutions of higher education
in the country.

In October, 1918, the entire undergraduate body, with the exception
of a few students exempted from military duty, was inducted with
impressive ceremony into the service of the Government, and Major
Philip G. Wrightson, U. S. A., assumed command. The difficulties of
the trying period that followed were very much mitigated by the helpful
spirit of cooperation shown by the Commandant, his staff, and the
Faculty. Several members of the Faculty were engaged in important
research work for the Government; Dean Nicolson became Assistant
District Supervisor of the New England District of the Student Army
Training Corps, and practically every member of the instructing staff
was assigned unfamiliar duties. The University became for the time
being a military post ; but in few institutions did the anomalous arrange-
ment work as smoothly and as successfully as at Wesleyan. In
November came the armistice ; the undergraduates were mustered out of
service, and the administration of the University returned to an academic
basis. At the Victory Commencement in June, 1919, Wesleyan fittingly
commemorated the devotion of her sons, especially of the twenty-seven
who gave their lives in the cause of freedom and justice.

Immediately after the armistice, liberal arrangements were announced
by means of which students who had left college to enter the national
service were enabled to complete their work for graduation, an oppor-
tunity of which a gratifyingly large number availed themselves. This
seemed to the Faculty also an appropriate time for a thorough revision
of the curriculum, of scholarship regulations, and of requirements for
admission, and a Committee on Academic Policy was therefore constituted
to study these problems. Though no radical changes were introduced,
the adoption of numerous amendments suggested by the experience of
recent years and the systematic correlation of all provisions relating to
instruction and scholarship resulted in marked improvement in the desired
directions.

xv



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

In view of the gradual advancement in standards, the increase in the
size of the student body from less than three hundred men in 1909 to
more than five hundred in 1915 was especially gratifying. With the
attainment of an enrollment of five hundred, the much discussed question
of the limitation of numbers had to be faced frankly, and in 1920, pur-
suant to recommendations of the Faculty, the Trustees authorized the
limitation of the undergraduate body to an average attendance of about
five hundred.

The increased importance accorded in recent years to physical educa-
tion, which received added emphasis from the experiences of the war,
was recognized by the election in 1913 of Edgar Fauver, M.D., as
Professor in charge of the department; by the extension in 1919 of the
required work in physical training to cover the whole of the first three
years of the college course, with the instruction on the same basis as in
other departments; by the development of a complete system of intra-
mural athletics; by the addition in 1915 of swimming to the number
of intercollegiate sports ; and by constituting the Professor of Physical
Education college physician, with full supervision over the health of the
college community.

Increased attention was also given to the development of the religious
training and spiritual life of the students by the appointment of a salaried
graduate secretary of the Christian Association, by the maintenance,
beginning with the year 1909, of Sunday services in the Memorial Chapel
addressed by distinguished preachers, and by the organization in 1916
of the Church of Christ in Wesleyan University, membership in which
is supplemental to the student's membership in his home church. The
student body not only supports its Christian Association, but also con-
tributes regularly to the work of the West China University at Cheng-tu,
the President of which, as well as several members of the Faculty, are
graduates of Wesleyan University.

In order to meet the exigencies caused by the war-time rise in prices,
and to make possible the enlargement of the Faculty, President Shanklin
began in the autumn of 1919 a campaign for the raising of three million
dollars of additional endowment. By Commencement, 1921, $1,200,000
had been subscribed to meet a conditional gift of $400,000 from the
General Education Board. The exhibition of loyalty on the part of the
alumni was even more notable than in 1911, both in their organized
cooperation and in the percentage of subscribers. A gift of $75,000
from the Carnegie Corporation and a bequest of $20,000 from Mr.
William H. Burrows, a member of the Board of Trustees, were added
to the endowment of the library, which was thus increased to $215,000.
In addition to these sums, the University received the largest single
benefaction in its history, a bequest from Mr. William F. Armstrong,
of New York City, amounting to about a million dollars. In anticipation
of the completion of this fund, the Trustees authorized in 1919 and 1920
an increase of about fifty per cent, in Faculty salaries and the addition
of several members to the instructing staff. Aside from the amounts



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

raised by the general campaigns of 1910-12 and 1919-21, the most notable
addition to the permanent funds was the gift in 1911 by Miss Elizabeth
J. Mead, of Stamford, Connecticut, of $67,250 for the endowment of a
chair of Ethics and Religion.

In 1911 the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
placed Wesleyan upon its list of approved colleges whose professors
should be entitled to receive the retiring allowances provided by that
corporation. This action may properly be considered as equivalent to
a material increase in the endowment funds, or as an increase in Faculty
salaries. In consequence of a change in the regulations of the Carnegie
Foundation and the establishment of the Teachers Insurance and Annuity
Association, the Trustees in 1921 entered into an agreement with the
latter corporation on behalf of the Faculty.

Curing the administration of President Shanklin there have been not-
able improvements in buildings, grounds, and equipment. In 1914 the
generosity of Mr. Charles Gibson, a Trustee, made possible the extension
of Fayerweather Gymnasium to contain a swimming pool, at a total cost
of over $40,000. In the following year various gifts, including one
anonymous subscription of $75,ooo, provided for the erection of the New
Dormitory at a cost of about $150,000, and the generosity of Mr. Joseph
Van Vleck, together with a bequest from his brother, Professor John
M. Van Vleck, '50, made possible the erection and partial equipment of
the Van Vleck Observatory. In the same year a gift of $35,000 by
Mr. Ralph H. Ensign and his son Mr. Joseph Ensign, with other sub-
scriptions to a total amount of $55,ooo, permitted a most successful
remodeling of the Memorial Chapel, and an excellent organ was installed
through the liberality of Mr. John Gribbel, Vice-President of the Board
of Trustees. Announcement has been made, also, of the gift by Mrs.
Gardner Hall, Jr., of $150,000 for the construction of a chemical labor-
atory in memory of her late husband.

In the meantime the library collection has grown from 80,000 volumes,
in 1909, to 127,000, in 1921, and there has been a corresponding enlarge-
ment of the laboratory equipment in the departments of psychology,
biology, chemistry, and physics. The development of the equipment of
the Van Vleck Observatory includes the installation of a new twenty-
inch lens for the telescope, one of the ten largest lenses in this country.

The steady growth of the University in property and in the numbers
of its Faculty and students, together with the extension of its several
fields of activity, has increased very greatly the complexity of its admin-
istrative problems. This difficulty has necessitated important changes in
the organization of the committees of both Trustees and Faculty. In
1911 an Advisory Committee of the Academic Council was created to
cooperate with the President in dealing with questions of appointments
to the Faculty ; and in order to promote cooperation between the Trus-
tees and the Faculty, the Committee of the Board on Faculty and Cur-
riculum has since 1918 conferred regularly with this Advisory Committee.
Upon the retirement in 1918 of Professor Rice, who as senior professor

xvii



HISTORICAL SKETCH.

had hitherto assisted President Shanklin in the internal administration
of the University and had served as Acting-President from December,
1917, to June, 1918, during the absence of the President in Europe on
duties in connection with the Great War, it was decided to revive the
office of Vice-President, to which the first appointee was Professor
George M. Butcher, and to create the office of Dean, which was filled
by the selection of Professor Frank W. Nicolson, who had served as
Secretary of the Faculty for more than a quarter of a century. In the
office of Assistant Treasurer, as well as of Librarian, Dr. William J.
James, '83, has rendered efficient service for many years. Professor
Leroy A. Howland, 'oo, is now Vice-President.

An important change in the organization of the growing body of
alumni was effected in 1912 through the supersession of the venerable
Alumni Association by an Alumni Council with a salaried secretary.
The result has been the formation of additional local alumni associations
in every part of the country where a sufficient group of alumni can be
found, and the helpful interest and cooperation of Wesleyan graduates
in all plans for the advancement of the University. The first three
secretaries, who have had the responsibility of organizing and developing
the work, have been Warren F. Sheldon, '99, Roy B. Chamber lin, '09,
and Arthur B. Haley, '07. Since 1916, the Council has published the
Wesleyan Alumnus as its organ.

At the close of the first ninety years of its history, Wesleyan may
survey with pride the steady enlargement of its resources and its con-
sistent adherence to high intellectual and moral standards. These
standards found their justification in the careers of Wesleyan alumni,
whose unfaltering loyalty and generous support have contributed so
largely to the success of their Alma Mater. It involves no diminution
of the achievement of the earlier generations to pronounce the last dozen
years, under the inspiring and tireless leadership of -William Arnold
Shanklin, the greatest period in the development of Wesleyan University,
for it is by the loyal and indefatigable advancement of the ideals with
which they so nobly endowed the institution that he has brought their
work to a full and splendid fruition.



xvin



THE ANNALS OF WESLEYAN
UNIVERSITY, 1910-1921



[For the Annals from the founding of the University (1831) to 1882,
see THE ALUMNI RECORD, 3rd edition (1881-83) ; from 1882 to 1910,
4th edition (1911).]



Nov. Freshman and Sophomore class societies abolished. Initiation
into Phi Beta Kappa of four members of the Senior class, thus reverting
to the former custom of initiating before the completion of the course.

1911, Feb. Joe Beech Fund of $500.00 raised among the under-
graduates for missionary work in China.

Mar ii. Advisory Committee instituted by the Academic Council, to
confer with the President as to appointments to the Faculty. Wesleyan
wins championship of New England Basketball League. 30. Trustees
authorize the appointment of an Alumni Secretary.

April. College receives outright $67,250.00 on which annuity has been
paid.

May. Ground purchased for the Observatory from Mr. Samuel Russell
for $8,000.00. 4. Wesleyan competes for the first time in the New
England Oratorical League. 31. Phi Gamma Chapter of Alpha Chi Rho
organized from the Alpha Chi Alpha, a local fraternity since December
i, 1910.

June. A Record of Scientific Work at Wesleyan published (No. 49
of The Bulletin), with a bibliography of the professors of science.

New scholarship regulations were adopted this year. Hereafter sixty
per cent, of the work of a student must be above fourth grade, if he is
to graduate. Freshmen debarred from athletics for the first half of the
year.



J9JM2.

Sept. i. Foss House seriously damaged by fire. Walter Hubbard, of
Meriden, leaves $40,000.00 to the college in his will.

Oct. 14. First meeting of the Alumni Council; 'George I. Bodine,
Jr., '06, secretary pro tempore.

1912, Mar. 30. Gift of a swimming pool from Mr. Charles Gibson,
a Trustee.

May 28. Chi Psi Lodge damaged by fire.

June. The undergraduates subscribe over $11,500.00 for the Endow-
ment Fund.

Commencement. Announcement of the completion of the Million
Dollar Campaign.

xix



1912-16] ANNALS.



W2-J3*

Dec. Debating League formed between Bowdoin, Hamilton, and
Wesleyan.

The year is marked by many successes in athletics. J. I. Wendell, '13,
won the second place in the no-meter international hurdle race at the
Olympic Games, Stockholm, in the summer of 1912, and in February,
1913, broke the world record for 50-yard indoor hurdle race. He later
equalled the world record for the 70-yard hurdles. Wesleyan won four-
teen out of sixteen games in basketball this year, and was generally con-
sidered to have the championship team of the East. In football the
score for the season was 113-35 points, with victories over Bowdoin,
Brown, Tufts, Union, New York University, and Trinity. Wesleyan
won the championship doubles in tennis this year. There was great
development in intra-mural athletics.

W3-J4.

Oct. 24. Formal opening of the Beta Theta Pi chapter house, the
gift of William R. Baird, in memory of his son, Raimond Diiy Baird,
'09. Trustees make plans for raising money for a new dormitory, and
determine the site. Argus changed in form; reduced to four pages of
larger size.

Nov. 21. Gift announced of a cup from F. A. Jackson, '81, for
competition in scholarship between the fraternities.

1914, Jan. 16. Pool opened, cost about $40,000.00. Omega Phi, a
local fraternity, given provisional recognition by the College Body.

Feb. New Faculty regulations announced, governing house parties.

June 15. Presentation by the Class of 1889 of a flag staff and endow-
ment fund to purchase flags. 16. Ground broken for the Van Vleck
Observatory.

Spring term. Squire Fellowship founded, the endowment of the
Squire Scholarship being increased to $10,000.00. The rule adopted in
1911, requiring sixty per cent, of marks to be above fourth grade for
graduation, applied, with certain modifications, for promotion from class
to class. System of Faculty advisers begun. Independents (not mem-
bers of fraternities or the Commons Club) organized. Young Faculty
Club formed.

W4-J5.

Fall term. Various clubs organized Radio Club, Westgate Club,
Literary Society, and Short Story Club.

Nov. W. T. Rich, Trustee, endows a fellowship in Economics.

1915, Spring term. Library now numbers over 100,000 volumes.
Swimming team organized, independent of college athletics and managed
by the Andrus Swimming Association.

June 21. Commencement on Monday instead of Wednesday, under a
plan of a week-end Commencement. Ground broken for the New
Dormitory.

W5-J6.

Summer. Granolithic walks laid on the campus ; expenses met in part
by gifts of residents of Middletown amounting to $3,000.00.

xx



ANNALS. [1916-17

Fall term. For the first time, over 500 men in college. Joint Com-
mittee of Faculty and Trustees on military matters appointed. Four
undergraduates and one assistant attend the training camp for officers at
Plattsburg, N. Y., during the summer. Faculty voted to give academic
credit for military instruction. George Slocum Bennett Lectureship
Fund established. House on Wyllys Street opened as college infirmary.

Oct. Night watchman employed for the first time.

Dec. Rule concerning conditions changed; no one with a condition
promoted to the Sophomore class.

Feb. 22. Cannon scrap abolished by vote of the undergraduates.
(The custom dates from before Civil War times.) 27. Death of ex-
President Raymond.

Mar. Publications Board organized.

May. Required chapel: omitted for the rest of the year on account of
remodeling of Memorial Chapel, through the gift of Ralph H. Ensign
and Joseph R. Ensign of Simsbury. New organ built, the gift of John
Gribbel, Vice-President of the Board of Trustees. Atwater (Chemistry)
Club organized.

June 1 6. Dedication of Van Vleck Observatory.



J9J6-J7*

Summer. Tower removed from Observatory Hall. Eight new tennis
courts built, west of Mt. Vernon Street and north of the new Observa-
tory.

Oct. New Dormitory completed and occupied. Announcement of gift
of $150,000.00 for a new chemical laboratory from Mrs. Gardner Hall,
Jr., of South Wellington, in memory of her late husband. Faculty and
students contribute over $5,000.00 to the fund for the relief of war
prisoners. First appearance of the Wesley an Alumnus.

Nov. 21. Liberal Arts Club organized.

Dec. 14. Faculty votes to approve the organization of a Reserve
Officers' Training Corps under General Orders 49.

1917, Jan. 12. Announcement of the gift of a chime of bells by the
Class of 1863.

Feb. 23. Alpha Sigma Delta fraternity organized. Visitors' Days
inaugurated, with Teachers' Conference.

Mar. 9-10. First celebration of "sub-freshman" days, apart from
Washington's Birthday. 28. Two hundred and sixty-seven students
assemble to learn the rudiments of military training, Professor W. G.
Cady, Commandant. 31. Faculty votes leave of absence, with full credit
for the year, to students leaving to enlist in the Army or Navy, or in
Y. M. C. A. or ambulance work.

Apr. 15. Reserve Officers' Training Corps recognized by the War
Department; Lieutenant A. J. Hanlon, '06, detailed in charge of military
instruction at Wesleyan. 17. Dr. F. K. Hallock, '82, presents a Wes-
leyan ambulance for use in the war. A number of students sail for
France for ambulance work.

May 14. Colors presented to the Reserve Officers' Training Corps
unit by the Class of 1897.

Spring term. ^ Forty-three undergraduates leave for various military
camps, twenty-eight to join the Naval Reserve, and twelve to enter the
Ambulance Corps.

Commencement. Baccalaureate and University sermons and Com-
mencement exercises held in remodeled Memorial Chapel, instead of in
the First Methodist Episcopal Church.



xxi



1917-19] ANNALS.



W7-J8.

Sept. 20. Unveiling of windows in Memorial Chapel in memory of
former Presidents Fisk, Olin, Cummings, and Foss ; installation of the
new organ. Alumni Council presents a National flag and two service
flags to the chapel.

Fall term. Number of students reduced by war conditions from 504



Online LibraryConn.) Wesleyan University (MiddletownAlumni record of Wesleyan university, Middletown, Conn → online text (page 2 of 111)