eBooksRead.com books search new books
Cross Fleury.

Time-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster online

. (page 24 of 55)
Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 24 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

first effort at extcmpoj'c preaching took place while he was doing
duty for a friend in a solitary parish church one winter afternoon.
It became very dark, and the preacher upon ascending the pulpit
found it impossible to read his manuscript without a candle or
lamp. He laid down his written discourse and proceeded to speak
to his congregation right off just what he telt inspired to speak.
The effect was amazing. The rustics were charmed with his voice,
style, and the nature of his address. Not long after, his friend, the
Archdeacon of Northampton, induced him to preach before the
Bishop of Peterborough and a distinguished congregation. He
did as requested, and from that time his preferment may be said to
have been assured. Canon Little is no apathetic dronish parson,
but a lively broad-hearted man, who sees room for other opinions
besides his own in the Church, and he loves to fraternise with all
true Christians and work for the good of his fellow-creatures,
joining issue with all who endeavour to do likewise whatever be
their creed or doctrine. He is conscientious and straight, fearless
and zealous, and will if he live reach a higher altitude in the Church



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 257



f England. I am indebted for certain facts to Major F. L. G. Little,
Chief Constable of Preston, and to Men and Women of the Day,
published by Messrs. Eglington & Co., of 78 and 78A, Great Queen
Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, W.C.

The Rev. Colin Campbell, M.A.

The Rev. Colin Campbell. M.A., was born on the 17th of
November, 1806. He was the son of the late Colin Campbell,
Esq., cotton broker, of Toxteth Park, Liverpool. The reverend
gentleman graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge, and subse-
quently became curate of Gainsborough, in Lincolnshire.

He succeeded the Rev. J. N. G. Armytage in the incumbency
of St. Thomas', on the 27th of April, 1845. Mr. Campbell did a
great deal of useful work while he was with us, and the schools,
founded in 1843 and 1847, at a cost of about ,£2,500 are a standing
memorial of his liberality. Only ,£1,300 was subscribed towards
the erection of the schools when Mr. Campbell "took over the
responsibility of ownership on behalf of the Church." He after-
wards added the play ground adjoining the Prince William Henrv
Field, and connected the fine open space with the school rooms by
means of a bridge and tunnel. The advowson of the living of St
Thomas' passed from "the devises of Elizabeth Salisburv," who
endowed the Church, it is said, with the interest of ,£1,000 after
her decease in 1851, and became the property of Mr. Campbell,
who, on condition of ^500 being raised by the inhabitants of the
parish, guaranteed the erection of the spire, designed by Messrs.
Sharpe and Paley. The foundation stone of the spire was laid on
the 26th of April, 1852, and was completed on the 26th of May,
1853. The brother of the late Mr. Campbell —John Campbell,
Esq., of Liverpool — presented the Church with an organ, and the
instrument bears an inscription intimating that a "freehold residence
was also purchased for the use and benefit of the organist."

The Rev. Colin Campbell was much esteemed in Lancaster.
Not only did he labour diligently as a clergyman, but proved his



25S TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



sterling love for his Church by aiding - on many occasions in
rendering" the same free from encumbrance. He spent no less than
£1 1,000 on improvements and additions, a sum representing a third
of his entire fortune. He died on the 30th of March, 1856, after a
long period of illness caused by an internal cancer, and was
followed to his last mortal resting place by many of those to whom
he had endeared himself and who deeply lamented the event. Mr.
Campbell did not survive his wife much over four months. A
memorial window in the south gallery facing the east perpetuates
this ladv's virtues. The window was designed by her husband,
and from the inscription we learn that she was the daughter of
Abraham Hume, Esq., of Bilton Grange, and grand-daughter of
the Rev. Charles Wheeler, prebendary of York, that she was born
in 1808, married on the 30th of October, 1832, and died on the 10th
of November, 1835.

Mr. Campbell's ministry is very suitably commemorated by
" four large editions of the Book of Common Prayer, strongly and
elegantly bound, with metallic gilt rims, purchased and adorned at
an expense of about ,£.14, and placed in the chancel stalls and
secured to the desk on the north side by means of separate chains."
Each book is inscribed : — " To the memory of the Rev. Colin
Campbell, M.A., Patron and Incumbent, this book is dedicated by
the churchwardens, T. Howitt and E. Jackson, 1836." The family
Mr. Campbell belonged to is a branch of the Argyle clan. It is
related to the late Dr. Mc.Neile's family and to that of Cave
Brown-Cave also. The Rev. Colin Campbell, M.A., successor of
his father in the living of St. Thomas' from 1858 until 1872, also
graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge. He resides at Weston-
Super-Mare, Somerset.

Eminent Laymen born i?i Lancaster.
Sir John Harrison.

Sir John Harrison, born in 1589, was one of the borough
members in 1661. He was the author of the plan for collecting the



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER 259



customs by commission. Sir John Harrison's name is still highly
venerated, and deservedly so in Lancaster. This remarkable man
went to London in 161 1, at the age of 22, and became an important
official in the Custom House. He died in 1669, aged 80, at Balls
House, Hertford, the residence of his descendant, Lord John
Townsend. (See Cony, vol. II., p 45, and Harland's edition
of Gregson's Portfolio.) Sir John Harrison bore for his arms or,
upon a cross, azure, four pheons, or; and his ancestors resided at
Aldcliffe. The first name on the pedigree is Thomas Harrison,
who married Jane, daughter of . . . Heysham, o\' Higham,
one of the same family as Robert Heysham, M.P. for Lancaster,
1701-14. Sir John Harrison's first wife was Margaret, daughter of
Robert Fanshawe, Esq., and his second wife, Mary, daughter ot
Mr. Shotbolt. By his first wife he had a daughter, Ann, who
became the wife of Sir Richard Fanshawe, ambassador to Spain.
From Sir John Harrison, Charles, third Viscount Townshend,
descended, and later George, first Marquis of Townshend

Henry Brackex.

Henry Bracken, M.D., was born, according to the parish
register, in 1697. The baptismal entry is as follows : — " Henry,
the son of Henry Bracken, of Lancaster, October, 31st, 1697."
This remarkable man was born at the Horse and Farrier in Church
Street. He died in Lancaster, on the 13th November, 1764, and
was buried in St. Mary's Church. His widow died in 1787, aged
87. Their one son, so a gentleman who knew him informs me,
died at a comparatively early age. Dr. Bracken had three sisters.
He was twice mayor of Lancaster, viz., in 1747-8 and in 1757-8.
In the parish registers are the following Bracken entries : — " May,
1657, Ann, daughter of John Bracken, of Eshton." " November,
1657, Margaret Bracken, of Oureton, widow." Both are burials.

I took a rubbing of the brass memorial erected to the
memory of Dr. Bracken. This memorial now lies with many more
in the north corner of the church. It is surmounted by a coat of



2 6o TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



arms, in the shield of which are three pistols, and beneath is the
motto, " Post Tenebras." The engraving is thus : " Henricus
Brackin, M.D., obiit 13 die Novembris anno domini 1764,
Aetatis suae 64." _*-

From the European Magazine^ I take the following items
concerning Henry Bracken : —

" It is stated that Dr. Bracken was born at the Horse and Farrier Inn,
described as the third house above Bridge Lane. During his professional career, he
lived chiefly and at length died in a house, now rebuilt, two doors above that in
which he was horn. The former house is undoubtedly the one which has long
belonged to the Barton family, and previously occupied by members, of the Ford
and Worswick families. The Horse and Farrier was next door above the Mitre
Inn. It was a low two-storied thatched house, and on the east side of the doorway,
under the kitchen window, was a stone bench. Mr. James Hurtley, sexton, lived
here, and here the churchwardens used to repair after their Sabbath peregrinations,
and solace themselves with 'cheese and ale.' Behind the house were a coach-
house and hearse-house, and over the latter building a club-room, in which the
churchwardens and others dined >>n St. Stephen's Day, and liberally dispensed some
portion of the Church rate. The Horse and Farrier ceased to exist as an inn in
1837, when the front was rebuilt, and the whole property turned into cottages.
Above the Mitre was a third house, called the Grapes Inn, turned into a couple of
dwelling-houses by one of the Fords. Dr. Bracken's wife was Ann, daughter of Mr.
Christopher Hopkins, stationer and bookseller. She survived her husband twenty-
one years.

'fhe doctor must have been somewhat eccentric, for it is said that he would
frequently get up in the summer, about two or three o'clock in the morning, and in
his night-gown and slippers, and with a telescope in his hand, go into the church-
yard to look at his horses exercising on the Marsh, and then he would return to bed
again.

Dr. Bracken was charged with disloyalty, because he treated two of the
rebel leaders- the Duke of Athol and Lord Balmerino — with civility when he met
them in Lancaster, at a Mrs. Livesey's, the house afterwards belonging to the
Marlon family in Church Street, and drank with them a disloyal toast. The Doctor
had met these noblemen in Paris before the rebellion. His enemies determined
to make him out as a rebel, and so he was committed to the Castle on the 22nd of
lanuarv, 1740, and was harshly treated by the jailer, and this at a lime when fever
was raging in the prison. However, he managed to obtain bail until the assizes,
when nothing was proved against him and he was liberated."



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 261

John Heysham, M.D.

Another distinguished medical gentleman, born in Lancaster
in 1753, was John Heysham, M.D., F.L.S., J. P. He was a well
known politician and litterateur. He died on the 23rd of March,
1834, aged 81.

Stephen's Biographical Dictionary states that Dr. Heysham
was the son of John Heysham and Anne Cumming, his wife, the
daughter of a Westmorland statesman. The Dr. settled in Carlisle
in 1778. He was well known as a naturalist, and it is supposed
that he assisted Archdeacon Paley in regard to questions of
structural design in nature. This member of an ancient Lancaster
family published an account of the gaol fever at Carlisle, in 1781.
The work was published in London in 1782. Dr. Heysham estab-
lished the first dispensary in Carlisle. A " Life of John Heysham,
M.D.," was written by H. Lonsdale. M.D., Lon , 1870, and it
includes the doctor's correspondence with one Joshua Milne,
respecting the Carlisle Bills of Mortality.

William Penny.

Alderman William Penny appears to have been a descendant
of one Alan Penny, brother of Mr. William Penny, oi' Lakeside,
vixit 1676, who is said to have settled in Lancaster. He was a
member of the family of Penny, of Penny Bridge, and was related
to the Cole family and to the Hindes of Overton. The will of the
Alderman commences in the manner common to his time — " In the
name of God, amen," and is dated 2nd March, 1715, "according
to the computation of the Church of England." His executors were
Edmund Hornby, of Poulton, Thomas Bennison, the elder, and
Edward Carter. He left ^700 with which to purchase land for
the erection of an almshouse with twelve apartments, and to grant
five marks yearly to twelve poor ancient indigent men of Lancaster
or to poor indigent women of Lancaster. It appears from a case
stated for the opinion of counsel in the year 1739, that the trustees



26z TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER



named in the will died without nominating - any persons to join with
them in the execution of the trusts, that Thomas Bennison survived
his co-trustees, and that the trust was carried on by his son,
Thomas, until the time of his death, after which the Mayor and
Aldermen of Lancaster being" advised that there was an actual
cessor or failure in carrying on the trusts (the heirs of the trustees
Hornbv and Bennison being minors) entered upon the trust premises
and took upon themselves the execution of the trusts. From the
year 1739 the accounts of this charity were kept by the Mayor, and
were audited annually at a meeting of the Mayor and Common
Councilmen, until the passing of the Municipal Reform Act of 1835,
when an appointment of trustees by the Court of Chancery became
necessary.

Mr. Penny left to his cousin, Annie Cole, wife of Edmund
Cole, Esq., ^10; to Hannah Hodgson, another kinswoman, £10;
and to Ruth, wife of James Allanson, to Margaret, wife of Robert
Armstrong, and to Jennet Gardner, half a guinea each. His large
silver tankard he left to Dorothy, wife of Stephen Williamson, Esq.,
oi' Natland, his relation, and to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Hinde,
of Overton, his small tankard. To James Penny, of Penny Bridge,
he left his kewble statutes at large, and to John Bower and
Margaret, his wife, the sum of 20s. each. To his executor, Thomas
Hornby, he bequeathed his large Bible with maps, and to his
trustees rings of about 20s. value. The witnesses to the will are
Thomas Croft, Robert Barber, Nathan Armistead, and Thomas
Bennison, junior.

Among many hundreds of deeds and MSS. formerly belong-
ing to the late learned Dr. Lingard and Mr. West, author of
the " Antiquities of Furness," I have found certain papers relating
to the property of William Penny, founder of the Penny Hospital.
The first is headed "An inventory ot' all and every the goods
chattells and personall estate of Win. Penny, late of the town of
Lancaster, in the county of Lancaster, Esq., now deceased, taken
and approved the third and fourth days of July, 1716, by Thomas



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 263



Croft, James Tomlinson, Robert Barber, and Robert Winder,
Esqs." The signatures of these gentlemen are appended. Mention
is made, inter alia, of "A silver cup, 3 silver salts, 2 large dram
cups of silver and one small of the same mettall, valued at 05 o o.
Two rusty guns and a sword-belt valued at 00 05 o, the deceased's
purse and apparell ^27 3s. 6d."

1 also note the entry ot certain fields thus: — "Two acres
or thereabouts sown with barley in a close called Sower Holme,
^6 ; an acre and a half sown with oats in a close called Middle,
^3 os. od. ; a rood of land sown with wheat in a close called
Edenbreck, 01 o o. " Next comes —

" An account how the ^700 directed by Mr. Penny's will to be laid out
by his trustees in the purchase of lands was applied.

2nd ffeb : 1 7 19. Paid to Mr. Hornby for purchase of 16 acres oi land

and a barn in Lancaster ^421 16 o

22nd (Jet. 1 7 1 7. Paid Mr. Butterfield and Mr. Sherson for purchase of

the Blew Stoops, stable and garden 132 o O

Paid Mr. Barton for assignment of his mortgage thereof 40 o o

4th March, 17 17. 1'aid Mr. Warren and Mr. Sturzaker for purchase of

a garden called Partington's Garden 30 o o

Expended in re-building and repairing the house and
stable immediately upon the purchase whereby
the rent was considerably advanced 93 1 7 3



^7i~ 13 .5
Then follow three large sheets endorsed :—

" Acctofthe rents and profitts of the late Mr. Penny's estate, and what
was purchased with the ^"700 from his death till the 2nd ffebry, 1 738, and the
application thereof."

The first sheet begins with a heading similar to the endorse-
ment, and the first item reads thus : —

" Trustees. — 1716. By rents this year due at and alter Mr. Penny'.-, death,
^26 10s. 8d.

N.B.— The trustees now began to buy and build, set lands and husban
everything for the best, and as there was likely to ensue a great deal of trouble and
care they appointed Mr. James Tomlinson to manage and transact the whole and
keep accounts for which until the tn ublesom jail o( the trust was o\ u he was to



£12








57
8










60








60








60








45
8


1







40








4
8











264 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



have allowed and accordingly had allowed 5 guineas a year."' In 1723 is a note
stating that " The agreement with Mr. Tomlinson for 5 guineas a year now ceased
and for the future he was to have only 2 guineas a year."

To give the whole of the items would serve no purpose. I
will, however, select from the Cr. side the amounts paid " to the
poor appointed for ye hospital."

1716. To poor persons appointed for ye hospital

1 71 7. To the poor persons as by receipt

To putting - out two apprentices

1718. To the poor persons at ,£15 a quarter as l>y receipt

1 719. To the poor persons

1720. To the poor persons

1721. To the poor persons

To liveries anil making

1722. To poor persons

To curate's salary

To liveries

From 1723 to 1738 the amounts in each case were the same, viz., for

these items 52 o o

Up to 1721 inclusive ^310 is. was expended. From 1722 inclusive to 1738
.£884 was expended, lepresenting altogether ^1,194 is. spent on behalf of the poor.

The " Balance to the representative of the surviving trustee "
is put clown as ^120 10s. iij^d., " of which sum there is due
to Mr. Tomlinson £97 11s. io^d., and due to Mr. Benison
^22 19s. o^d." In a deed dated "thirtieth of November, 1676,"
William Penny agrees to lease of John ffoster, woollen draper,
of Lancaster, son of Thomas ffoster, of Lancaster, the close
or parcel of land known as the Hill Meadow, and parcel of
certaine grounds called the Deepcarrs containing three acres,
subject to a yearly rent for thirty-four years from date of deed of
ffive shillings payable to the maior and bailiffs of Lancaster upon
the ffeast dayes of Easter and St. Michaell the Archangell. The
sum paid to John ffoster for having "demised, granted, assigned
and sett over " the land and its appurtenances was forty-three
pounds. In an indenture of 1693, between John Hodgson, Mayor
of Lancaster, Henry Casson, and John Bryer, bailiffs, of the one
part, and William Penny of the other part, the latter agrees to
hold as tenant certain lands in Quernmore called the Copyholds for



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER 26



z>



the sum of fifty pounds, the rents of ten pounds payable quarterly
being included in the tenancy for the space of six years. There is
mention of Thomas Dugdale, of Quernmore, evidently a former
lessee ; also of George Patchett, Christopher Cawson, ffrancis
Hodgson, &c, the copyholds with their appurtenances belonged to
the town of Lancaster. The signatories to the deed are those of
John Hodgson, Henry Casson, and John Bryer. Another deed is
of the time of James II., and is between John Hadwen, of Carn-
forth, and Allan Penny. Hadwen is spelt with an " e" after the d,
and Penny with only one " n." The deed is in Latin and concerns
the sale of the Sowerholme estate.

William Hadwen.

Another Lancaster poet must yet be named — a member of an
old Carnforth family, as ancient inquisitions prove. I refer to
William Hadwen, who contributed some excellent poems to the
New Town ami Comity Magazine. In the volume for the year 1788,
are several productions signed " W. Hadwen, Lancaster."

Among them I may mention " An Elegy to the memory of
Mr. T. H. Rawlinson, who died at the age of 21." "A Sonnet
written after listening to the notes of a thrush and a blackbird,"
" The Dawn," " On seeing a young lady run to a place of worship."
" Allithwaite, a descriptive poem written at the request of two
young ladies," "Soliloquy on the death of a young lady," "Gisburn
Park," &c. There are several other productions signed " H.
Rusland," " Leander, Rusland," which smack strongly of the same
style as that of " W. H. Hadwen, Lancaster," or " W. Hadwen,
Allithwaite."

No doubt the poetical Mr. Hadwen of a hundred and three
years ago had many poems in other volumes of the magazine from
which I quote. Most of his emanations are decidedly good ; they
are not written by rule, they are not fantastical and poetaster-like,
but display smart ringing metal and a perfectly correct idea of



266 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



scansion. What a pity that this Lancaster poet's works are not
looked up and rescued from the semi-oblivion into which they have
fallen. From the poem " On the Lakes, and the Cascades of Ridal
Hall," addressed to a clergyman, 1 cull these lines :—

" THOU, in whosp smiles, bright seraphim rejoice,
Thy bounteous love — thy world creating voice,
Thy sovereign wisdom — thy almighty power
Bade this sweet spring its endless torrent pour
O'er many a rugged rock, amid these hills,
Where dulcet murmurs lead to gurgling rills ;
The lofty mountains, crown'd with waving trees
The lakes that quiver to the- curling breeze
The sylvan scenes in this my native land
Were thus arranged in beauty by Thy hand."

The poem is a moderately long one and was written at Satterthwaite.

True poets are the troubadours who mark the eras of the
world ; they are its modern prophets, gifted still with ancient fire,
and to their King they stand or fall in a higher sense than do
ordinary souls. Their ears hear the far distant whispers of eternity
which coarser souls must travel on far into old age e'er they can
detect the faintest notes thereof or hear its still small voice. '

William Sandhrson.



William Sanderson was the son of John Sanderson,
merchant, of Lancaster. He was born at 39, Castle Park, in 1804.
He was for some time a contributor to the Lancaster Gazette, and
afterwards did much miscellaneous writing for the Lancaster Herald.
He died on the 20th of January, 1848, aged 44 years.

Perhaps it would repay an enterprising publisher to re-
publish Sanderson's poems, and give us an edition worthy of most
of the metal the author's songs contain. Some are wild flowers of
beauty despite the ruggedness of their sepals and carpels. The
book he wrote is entitled "Songs and Miscellaneous Poems, by the
late William Sanderson, of Lancaster." The imprint is simply
" Lancaster : Printed for the author's family by J. Nevatt," and the



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 267



book contains 94 pages. It is "dedicated to Thomas Greene,
Esq., M.P. for Lancaster, as a public expression of thanks for his
kindness to the author's family." Altogether there are fifty-six
poems in the book, the more pretentious of which are " Random
Thoughts " (dotted down whilst resting on the banks of the Lune,
one afternoon during the summer of 1842, and addressed to a
friend) : "The Young Bride's Song to her Husband," " The Candle
and the Bottle," "The Orphan Boy," "The Maniac Maiden,"
" Descriptive Stanzas, written whilst admiring a splendid prospect
from Haythornthwaite Fells, having witnessed the effects of a
violent storm from the same place on the preceding day," "The
Song of the Emigrant's Wife to her Husband," "The Two Steamers
— a versified and glowing description of the most fierce, vitupera-
tive, but interesting quarrel which has just taken place between the
new iron steamboat, the Duchess of Lancaster, and the old heart
of oak one, the John O'Gaunl, wherein is most veritably set forth
how the Duchess attacked the Duke ; how the Duke retaliated
upon the Duchess ; how the parties then had a pugilistic recontre,
with various other matters of greatest importance, which ought
immediately to be read, mark'd, learnt, and inwardly digested by a
sagacious public," "The Butterfly," "Lines founded on Fact
(concerning a circumstance which occurred in the Fleet Prison
some years ago, &c,") " To the memory of John Christian, Esq.,
of Liverpool, who died at Caton, near Lancaster, 5th December,
1843," "The Mother to her sleeping Babe," "The Joys ot
Mossing, a fellside song," " Address to the Greeks," " Stanzas on
the death of Mr. William Walmsley, of Lancaster, who died in the
thirty-first year of his age, September, 1846," "Address spoken in
aid of the widows and orphans of the Earl of Lincoln's Lodge of
Oddfellows, at their anniversary held at Lancaster, the 2nd of
January, 1843," " -^ son g written on the event of Admiral Tatham
gaining a verdict at Lancaster, on the 9th of September, 1836,
dedicated to the honest people of Hornby," " The Virtue of
Prudence," " A Letter" (to a cousin), " Stanzas most respectfully
and gratefully addressed to Miss Mary Ann Bond, who, when
sickness and sorrow invaded the home of the writer, restored to it.



268 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



through her Christian kindness, comfort and peace," " To my



Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 24 of 55)
Using the text of ebook Time-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster by Cross Fleury active link like:
read the ebook Time-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014