Cross Fleury.

Time-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster online

. (page 29 of 55)
Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 29 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reforms granted by the king twenty years ago, including religious
liberty to all, and the right to wear the hair as Europeans wear it,



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 311






instead of enjoining - the shaving off oi' all but the old-fashioned

brush or tuft grown usually on the forepart of the head. The

kingdom of Siam is now included in the Postal and Parcel Union ;

it has its Telephonic Exchange, and just recently an Electric

Lighting Company has been established in the capital. The

Government have European printing presses in every department,

and many private noblemen have presses for educational and other

purposes. There is much in the publication concerning commercial

progress and the natural productions of the country. Among these

latter are teak, rice, hides, teelseed, pepper and dyewoods. There

are two or three native and two European newspapers in Bangkok.

The Bangkok Times is printed in English, and dates its first issue

from January 1st, 1887. The opposition newspaper is the Siam

Mercantile Gazette, published by a German. An extract from Sir

John Bowring's " Treaty of friendship and commerce between Great

Britain and Siam, 1856," appears on page 28, and an appendix

refuting several of the charges brought against the Siamese King

by Mr. Holt S. Hallett ; and lastly a list of articles exported from

Siam. Captain Loftus has experienced many dangers both on land

and sea, and has known what it was to face many cyclones, the

most terrible of which were those of the 21st October, 1861, and

the 1st of November, 1867, when 30,000 small houses were

unroofed, crops in Lower Bengal destroyed, and many vessels

wrecked, in fact, torn to shreds. On one occasion, when seriously

ill, the Foreign Minister, Prince Drumaluong Devawongse, sent his

own physician to attend him, and as it was feared that he would

succumb to his malady the king had a handsome coffin made for

the reception of his remains. Fortunately he did not require the

chest of "honour" for he recovered, much to the delight of his

king and his friends in Europe.

Captain Loftus is the inventor of the " Loftus patent
Glycerine Lamp," which has been introduced to many eminent
authorities, and is being used by steam shipping companies. It
has received high commendation from nautical men.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



It ought to be stated that Captain Loftus has also invented a
new kind of sun-dial for the Royal Gardens of Siam. It is called
the Royal Cylinder Axis Sun-dial, and it has attracted considerable
notice. The Graphic some time ago called attention to it. Models
of it have been sent to France, Germany and Italy. The idea
occurred to the Captain in a quiet moment on the eastern shore of
the Gulf of Siam, that by trapping a sunbeam, he could obtain local
apparent time to within 28 seconds of the truth. The dial is
contra-distinct from all others, and a child can use it.

Since his last return to England, in 1889, the Captain has
been engaged in working" out the problem oi securing a more
powerful and perfect medium of signals for the merchants' and
railway services, and so far his efforts have been highly successful.

Commander Loftus is well versed in the Malay languages,
and his connexion with Siam has tended to increase the bonds of
friendship between Great Britain and the land of the White
Elephant. Some, years ago he presented the town of Lancaster
with a full-length portrait of the Siamese monarch.

The following is a copy of the K.C.C.S. Order granted in
1886 to this distinguished officer : —

"Somdetch Phra Paramendr Maha Chulalongjcorn, Phra Chula Chorn
Klas, King of Siam, both Northern and Southern, and all its dependencies, <\;c.,
&c, tvx. , Laos, Malays, Kereans, Sovereign and Chief of the Most Honourable
Order of the Crown of Siam.

To all and singular to whom these presents shall come, know ye whereas
we have thought it fit to nominate and appoint Captain A. J. Loftus, the Honourable
Phra Nides Joldhi, Member of the Third Class called Mandanabhorn, or Commander
of our most Honourable Order of the Crown of Siam.

We, the Sovereign and Chief of the said most Honourable Order, do, by
these presents, grant unto Captain A. J. Loftus, the Honourable Phra Nides Joldhi,
the most Honourable Order of the Crown of Siam of the Third Class, called
Mandanabhorn, as a mark of honour, which he shall hold and enjoy in future.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 313



.May that power which is supreme in the universe, keep and guard Captain
A. T- Loftus, and grant him prosperity and every kind of blessing.

Given at our Court in the Chakrikri Mahaprasad, at Bangkok, the 30th
day of the waxing moon of the lunar month Bhadrapada, in the year Chaw, the 8th
of the decade, 1248 of the Siamese astronomical era, corresponding to the European
solar date the 30th of August, 1886, of the Christian Era, being the 6,702nd or the
19th of our reign.

Manu Regia Chulalongkorn, R.S.

Mr. William Kennett Loftus, born at Rye, in Sussex, and educated at Old
Park, Durham, and Caius College, Cambridge, was a brother of Captain Loftus. He
was well known as a geologist and entomologist, and while quite young had the good
fortune to attract the attention of Professor Sedgwick. The Bangkok Times of June
25th, 1890, states that he also became known to Sir Henry de la Beche, and in due
course received an appointment at the hands of Lord Palmerston to accompany the
commission sent out to settle the boundary lines of Turkey and Persia, and under
the command of Colonel (afterwards General) Fenwick Williams. Mr. Kennett
Loftus was a Fellow of the Geographical Society, and the author of a book entitled,
" Chaldsea and Susiana," illustrated with representations of the cuneiform inscriptions
and sculptures of Babylonia, Susiana and Mesopotamia. He died on the 27th of
November, 1858, aged 37.

Mr. William Linton.

I am indebted to the late Mrs. Fearenside, of Morecambe, for
particulars concerning her distinguished cousin, the late Mr.
William Linton. From this lady I learned that Mr. Linton was one
of the artists who aided in establishing the Suffolk Street Society of
British Artists. He was born in 1791, and died on the 18th of
August, 1876. Although not born in Lancaster, he was brought
up from a child in Lancaster and Cartmel. On the 27th October,
1831, he married Julia Adeline, only daughter of the Rev. Thomas
Swettenham, Rector of Swettenham, and niece of the Countess of
Winterton. The marriage took place at Shillinglee, Sussex, the
Rev. James Hayes, vicar of Wybunbury, Cheshire, performing the
ceremony. His mother was the widow of Mr. Thomas Eskrigge,
of Lancaster, one of the Eskrigges of Eskrigge. Among the
beautiful paintings of Mr. Linton shown to me by his venerable cousin



;i4 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



were: — " View of Morecambe in i S16, " "The Bridge at Kirkby
Lonsdale," " Lancaster " (dedicated to the Queen, in commemora-
tion of her visit to our ancient city), " Festiniog, " " Ennerdale,"
" Loch Lomond," " Temple of Jupiter, Athens," "Lucerne," and
the " Embarkation of Agamemnon to the seige of Troy." The
two last are very large paintings, and are beautifully executed.
Mrs. Fearenside had many other pictures, the work of her able
relative's brush, all of which were fine specimens of landscape
painting. This lady had also a portrait of the artist when he was
30, and a fine bust of him was to be seen in the entrance hall of her
house.

At the first exhibition of the Society of Arts, Mr. Linton
exhibited a picture called "The Vale of Lonsdale." It was pur-
chased by Sir William Fielden. This was in 1824. Two valuable
works were published by Mr. Linton. One on " Ancient and
Modern Colours from the earliest period to the present time, with
their chemical and artistic properties," and " Scenery of Greece and
its Islands" (1857). The Art Journal for 1858, page 9, gives an
account of his career, and an obituary notice appears in the volume
for 1876. Mr. Linton was cousin to Sir William Linton.

Mr. Jonathan Binns.

Mr. Jonathan Binns is remembered, and deservedly so, for
his excellent map of Lancaster, completed in 1821. Mr. Binns was
the son of Jonathan Binns, Esq., M.D., and Mary Binns, nee
Albright. He was born in Liverpool in May, 1785. By profession
he was a land surveyor. He died in March, 1871. Excellent
copies of his map are extant. It is valuable from many points,
especially so topographically. It shows us the character of the
Town in 1821, and has all the old paddocks and wells marked upon
it. Jonathan Binns was no mean disciple of Anaximander, the
reputed inventor of maps. He also wrote a book entitled, "Beauties
of Ireland."



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER 315



Edward Dexis de Vitre, Esq., M.D., J. P.

Edward Denis de Vitre, M.D., was born on the 24th of
March, 1806, at West Knoll, in the parish of Irthington, near the
city of Carlisle. He was the sixth son of Lieutenant John Denis
de Vitre, R.N., and Bridget Fawcett, daughter of James Fawcett.
Esq. of Scaleby Castle, Cumberland, whose marriage took place on
the 3rd of October, 1791. Lieutenant de Vitre, his father, who
died on the 29th of December, 1846, in his 90th year, at his residence
in King Street, Lancaster, was an officer who had seen much active
service. He suffered much during the wars with the French, bearing
the marks of the rigorous treatment he was subjected to after being
imprisoned by the French military authorities, up to the day of his
death. Dr. de Vitre, his son, and the subject of this notice, com-
menced his professional career at Annan, Dumfries-shire. He came
to settle in Lancaster about 1832. Ten years later he succeeded
Dr. Whalley as consulting physician at the Lancaster Asylum, a
post he held until 1858. Perhaps it is not too much to say that as
a cautious and far-seeing man, both professionally and generally,
he stood second to none, and his name is inseparably connected
with the origin and progress of that grand stone volume designated
the Royal Albert Asylum for Idiots and Imbeciles. He it was who
introduced the humane treatment of the mentally afflicted into
both County and Royal Albert Asylums, his co-adjutor being Mr.
Gaskell. His papers on medical and psychological matters were
always carefully considered, and revealed a comprehensive ability
rarely surpassed. His " Observations on the necessity of an
extended legislative protection to persons of unsound mind," did
much for the cause of the mentally afflicted in this county and in the
north of England, and the best memorial that can be awarded him
is that which prominently embodies his noble traits and perpetuates
the heartiness he displayed in any work undertaken on behalf of his
fellow-creatures with which he identified himself. Convinced of the
utility of any local movement, his co-operation was genuine, firm,
and lasting. Dr. de Vitre entered the Lancaster Town Council in
1 841 , was mayor of the Borough in 1843 and in 1855. From February,



316 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



1845, he was one of the Committee of the Lancaster Canal
Company, but did not remain a member of this body beyond a short
period. He was also, in 1853, a director of the West Hartlepool
Harbour and Railway Company. He died deservedly lamented on
the 4th of October, 1878, and his body was followed to the grave in
the Lancaster Cemetery by a large number of citizens, whose
expressions of regret were as sincere as they were general. Dr.
de Vitre was a Justice of the Peace for the Borough and County of
Lancaster.

Mr. Stephen Ross.

Of our old time freemen and burgesses, perhaps none was more thoroughly
esteemed in his day and generation than the late Mr. Stephen Ross, of Southfield
and Cheapside in this town. This gentleman was educated at Lancaster and
Cartmel Grammar Schools, and was intended for the medical profession. Owing,
however, to defective vision, he was compelled to relinquish the idea of becoming a
surgeon, and in due course adopted the occupation and business of a pharmaceutical
and analytical chemist. For some time he was with Dr. Christopher Johnson,
father of Dr. Christopher Johnson, of Castle Park, having for his colleague the late
Dr. Cox of Liverpool. In all but being born in our midst, Mr. Ross was a Lancaster
man, who throughout his life was ever willing to further the well-being of those
around him, both socially and commercially. He was one of the moving spirits in
the building of St. Thomas's and Glasson Churches, and also one of the original
trustees of the latter. He was likewise very active during the Cotton Famine, and
in collecting funds in aid of the Royal Albert Asylum for Idiots. For a long period
he was associated with the Infirmary, the Church Missionary, Bible and Tract
Societies, and every good Christian movement in Lancaster. His disposition was
pleasing, modest, and retiring, and being reticent he reserved his speech until the
most judicious moments.

It is not generally known that the subject of these remarks was descended
from a very old Scottish family, in fact from the Earls of Ross. In the Scottish
Antiquary of June, 1890, is a genealogy of the Ross family, including the Rosses of
Meddat, the Rosses of Midfairnie, and the Rosses of Morangie. From the latter
branch Mr. Stephen Ross was descended, and his lineage dates from one Alexander
Ross, chaplain of Dunskaith, a chaplaincy founded by James II., in the parochial
church of Tain, between 1456 and 1458. In 14S7 it was annexed as a prebend to the
collegiate church which the same king founded at Tain, according to the Exchequer
Rati, 227. Alexander Ross, above named, was presented to the chaplaincy vacant
by the incapacity or demission of Sir John Poilson, chanter, of Caithness, 13th June,



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 317



1500 (Privy Seal Register, vol. /. fol. 126J. This priesl is supposed to have been a
member of the family of Ros, of Shandwick, one of whom, Walter Ross, who died in
1531, had a wadsel of the town and chaplaincy of Dunskaith. This Alexander had a
Sir Nicholas Ross, cousin to Alexander Ross, of Balnagown. Sir Nicholas was presented
to the provostry of the Collegiate Church of Tain, and to the annexed Vicarage by
Queen .Mary, in the year 1549, a position he resigned in 1567 on his accession 10 the
Abbot's chair at Feme. He sat in the Parliament held in Edinburgh, in August,
1560, and voted for the abolition of the Roman Catholic religion. lie had four sons,
Nicholas, William, Donald, and Thomas. His death took place in 1569, and in the
kalendar of Feme is the following entry relating to it: — "The xvii clay of September
the year of God 1569, nicolas Ros, commedator of feme, provesl of tane, dec.
quhom God assolze." The Abbot was buried in the Abbey to the north of the choir.
He seems to have been succeeded by his son, Thomas, in the provostry of the
Collegiate Church of Tain, and this son also became commendator oi Feme, and
twentieth Abbot of that monastery. Other members of this ancient family held
ecclesiastical offices from time to time, and William, son of Thomas, was granted the
chaplaincy of Morangie for life in 1586, "in succesion to his brother Walter."
Among those of the family who have held appointments of a more secular character
in their own kingdom may be mentioned David Ross, who was " portioner of
Meddat " (Saseine, 22nd August, 1626), " portioner of Meikle Meddat," 19th June,
1627, in Meddat, and " portioner of 1'itcalzean, 13th March, 1653. This David is
believed to have been the second son of Walter Ross, third of Balmachy. George
Ross of Morangie, descended from the Rosses of Balnagown Castle, was appointed
Commissioner of Supply for Ross-shire in 1685-6, and this gentleman registered arms
at the Lyon office about 1672. The arms consist of gules, three lions rampant,
between as many stars argent. On ane torse for his crest a fox-head couped ppr ;
motto, Spes aspera levat. He died on the 7th of April, 1703, leaving issue George,
who died young, Thomas, designated second son in his father's will, and William,
I >aptised in Edinburgh, on the 14th of August, 1688, by profession a writer. This
William married, and had issue John and William. The latter became a merchant
in Liverpool, and married on the 26th of January, 1768, having issue Henry, William,
and Arthur. Henry became a merchant at Liverpool, and on the 15th of May, 1799,
married Eleanor, daughter of James Moore, Esq., Mayor of Lancaster, who con-
ferred the freedom of the Town on him. He died on the 27th of March. 1806,
leaving issue James Moore. William Horner, Henry, who became a solicitor in
London, Stephen, and Mary. The Stephen here named was the son whom this
notice is intended more especially to refer to. He was baptised at St. James s
Church, Liverpool, in 1804, married on the 9th of April, 1833, Charlotte, daughter of
William Harrison, Esq., M.D., of Ulverston, and sister of James Harrison, Esq.,
J. P.. of this town, and had issue eight children, the eldest and only surviving of
whom is the Rev. Henry Ross, L.L.D., F.C.S., of Dallas House, Lancaster. Mr.
S. Ross died on the 41I1 of October, 1869, aged 65 years. Of this gentleman's



3 i8 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



pupils were three youths who are now distinguished stars in the scientific world.
They are Dr. Edward Frankland, F.R.S., late of the South Kensington Museum
Professor Galloway, F.C.S., &c, who formerly held the Chemical Chair at the Museum
of Irish Industry, Stephen's Green. Dublin; and Mr. George Maule, of Harewood
House, Brighton, famous for his anilyne dyes. Hut to return to Mr. Ross's family.
Burke's Landed Gentry,*vo\. ii. , gives much information respecting the Rosses of
Cromarty — Glastullich of Ross-Trever all more or less allied to the Rosses of
Balnagown. On the maternal side the Ross family can claim descent from the
Huddlestons of Hutton John ; the I'arkes of Whitheck Hall : the Fletchers of Clea
Hall ; the Nortons of Norton ; and the Stockdales of Carke House, Carke, and are
also related to various members of the English and Scottish nobility, as a perusal of
the family pedigrees, and Burke, and " Annals of Cartmel " will demonstrate. The
representative of this family is the Rev. H. Ross, LL.D., of Dallas House, formerly
Civil Chaplain, Mauritius, and Vicar of Dolphinholme, who married at Port Louis,
Mauritius, in 1862, Amelia Rachael, second daughter of the Rev. J. Gallienne
Bichard, late Civil Chaplain of the Leychelles, and now Vicar of Lurlingham,
Norfolk.



Sir Thomas Storey, J. P.

Sir Thomas Storey is the son of the late Mr. Isaac Storey,
who died on the 4th of June, 1841, aged 43 years.

The worthy knight was born at Bardsea in the month
of October, 1825. His mother was a Miss Patrickson, of
Millom. Sir Thomas is a large landowner, colliery proprietor
in Lancashire, employer of labour, and is likewise interested in
the iron industry. He has been Mayor of Lancaster four times,
viz., in 1867, 1873, 1874, ar, d in 1886. He is very popular,
has once contested the Northern Division of the County of Lan-
caster in the Liberal interest, viz., in 1880, in opposition to
Lord Stanley and Lieutenant-General Fielden, and at the time
of writing - has been chosen Liberal Unionist candidate for the
Lancaster Division at a meeting of both his own section of
politicians and the Conservative party, who have pledged them-
selves to support him. The meeting adopting him as candidate
was held in the Athenaeum on the 31st January, 1891. Sir Thomas
Storey was one of the number of mayors selected during the Jubilee



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER 319



year for the honour of knighthood. He has a courteous manner,
is dignified, smart in grasping important points, has travelled much
in Europe, and is an excellent French scholar. His gift to the
town of a Jubilee Memorial in the shape of an Art Institute will
hand his name down to posterity and secure for it inclusion in the
local Valhalla.



Benjamin Robinson, Esq., J. P.

Mr. Benjamin Robinson was born at Over Kellet, in the
vear 1830, and received his early education at Bolton-le-Sands
Grammar School. On leaving school he was apprenticed to Mr.
Edmund Jackson, and at the age of twenty-one he proceeded to
London' to take an appointment in a well known drug house.
Owing to an unexpected circumstance Mr. Robinson returned north
and settled at Pendleton. Eventually he established a drug
business at the corner of Cross Lane and Broad Street, and retired
in 1 88 1 from the retail trade in order to follow a manufacturing
trade in Church Street. In 1861 he was elected a member of
the Salford Board of Guardians, but on account of an increasing
trade requiring ail his attention he was compelled to relinquish th e
office after four years' service. Twenty years after he was chosen
a Guardian for the second time, and acted as chairman of the Hope
Hospital Committee for three years. In 1882 Mr. Robinson was
returned as a Councillor for Seedley Ward, and on the expiry of
his term of office in 1888 a requisition signed by 1,200 burgesses of
the ward was presented to him and another gentleman asking both
to accept re-election, and the consequence was Mr. Robinson and
his colleague were returned unopposed. He was elected Mayor of
Salford for the municipal year 1888-9, ana " m 1 890-1 filled the same
important office. His Worship is a gentleman of high integrity,
and no one is more pleased to hear of his success in life than his
venerable friend and early employer, Edmund Jackson, Esq., of
Castle Park.



3 20 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



Mr. H. Gilbert.

Mr. H. Gilbert, the art master, was born on the 8th of April,
1 83 1, in the city of Salisbury. He came into the world at a period
when art was not regarded as a lucrative profession and as a youth
received but small encouragement in the sphere his tastes destined
him to adopt. Inclination being stronger than reason he went to
London and in due course became a student of the schools of art at
Somerset House, schools then being tentatively tried as an experi-
ment by the Government. He studied under their auspices, and
subsequently became one of their pioneers, serving first as a
teacher in many of the elementary schools in London, thence passing
on to the District Schools at Wilmington Square, Rotherhithe and
Spitalfields, after having done duty for a time at Dudley and Bath.
At length Mr. Gilbert was appointed master of the Lancaster
School of Art by the direct recommendation of Sir Henry Cole (then
Mr. Cole). About the year i860 he visited Preston, where he found
art in a very dead state. Owing to his advent on this occasion
arrangements were soon made for his visiting Preston regularlv in
order to educate the teachers of the elementary schools, and
ultimately he was successful in establishing a school of art at the
institution for the diffusion of useful knowledge which was under
the presidency and guardianship of the then vicar of Preston, the
Rev. Canon Owen Parr, M.A., father of Mr. Harrington Welford
Parr, late postmaster of Labuan and governor of Lancaster Castle,
and now of Warwick. The late Town Clerk of Preston (an excel-
lent educationist), and many other gentlemen of influence, did all
they could for the advance of art in Preston, and the result was
that Mr. Gilbert was appointed art master for Preston, a position
he has held twelve years. He is therefore art master for both
towns.

Eminent Catholic Divines and La vine n closely identified with

Lancaster.

The Rev. Edward Hawarden, D. D.

The following notes on this priest have been supplied by the
Very Rev. Provost Walker, their author : —



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



The Rev. Edward Hawarden, D.D.. may in a manner be
looked upon as the first resident priest in Lancaster. He was a noted
man ; in fact he had won for himself a European reputation. He
was born at Appleton, and came of a family oi' great respectability
in the county. He was sent at a very early age to Douay, and
passed through the educational course of that celebrated college in
a most brilliant manner. He was successively chosen as Professor
of Humanity, Philosophy, and Divinity, and was, says Dodd, a
person of consummate knowledge in all ecclesiastical matters,
scholastic, moral and historical ; and to do him justice, perhaps the
present age cannot show his equal. Charles Butler, in his " Re-
miniscences," gives the following anecdote respecting Dr. Hawarden
and Dr. Clarke, which may well bear repeating. In this work
entitled, " The Scripture Doctrine of the Trinity," Dr. Claike pro-
pounded his system with great clearness, and supported it with
considerable strength and subtilty of argument. He met a power-



Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 29 of 55)