Cross Fleury.

Time-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster online

. (page 49 of 55)
Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 49 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rigby, 1 homas, married Hannah, daughter of
Benjamin Pearson, accountant, Kendal.

Southey. — . R.N., died on his passage from
Demerara, March, 1838. Brother to the poet
Sou they.

ey James captai f the steamer ' Winder-
mere ' in 1838.

Thompson, William (from this captain the
houses in Skerton. known as ' Captain's Row,'
\\ ere named).

Whinray, Thomas subsequently master of a
vessel sailing between Ulverston and Liverpool.
He died at Arnside October 19th, 1832, aged 48.

Wadeson, Robert, died at Kingston, Jamaica,
February 4th, 1825, aged 29.

Walker. William, dead before 1835.

Williams, John ('.'). of the Mansfield ' died
March 28th, 1836 on his passage from Africa.

Willocke, Richard, daughter Fanny married to
Mr. Robert Dormison. master builder, of Liver-
pool on the 30th March, 1837 He was agent for
Lloyds to this port.'

Williamson, John, lived at St. George's Quay.



A few items concerning' the old shipping- trade of Lancaster
will not be without interest at the present time. In 1708, only one
single ship, the "Content," sailed from Lancaster to the West Indies.
In the year 1722, vessels sailing from Lancaster to the following-
foreign countries are mentioned in an old shipping list : — Antigua
1, Barbadoes 1, Jamaica 1, Virginia 2, Norway 2, Holland 1,
Russia 1, Spain 1; total, 10. Those sailing to or from Ireland 13,
making altogether for that year 23. In 1799, we find the returns as
follows : — Antigua 3, Barbadoes 4, Granada 2, St. Kitt's 4, Jamaica
16, St. Vincent's 2, St. Lucis 1, Riga 3, St. Petersburg 2 ; total 37.
Ireland 26, and Isle of Man, 1 ; total, 64. Not including coasters.



There were at one period no less than fourteen vessels sailing
from Lancaster engaged in the slave trade, a trade carried on under
the glossy name of "the ivory trade." A tradition has been pub-



540 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



lished to the effect that a Captain Marshall stole a Guinea King's
daughter and that this put an end to any further dealings with
Lancaster traders.

The Census, 1891.

These particulars have been courteously supplied by Mr. Ennion.

In the Borough of Lancaster during the last decade there has been a large
• ncrease of population amounting to 10,370, and compared with the census of 1871
the increase is 13,789. This is due in some measure to the incorporations of portions
of the townships of Scotforth and Skerton, which have added a population of 4,409.
The progressive increase of the town during- the present century is given in the
following decennial totals :—



1801 9,030

1811 9,247

1821 10,144



1831 1-', 813

1841 12,089

1851 I4,5°2

1861 14,481



1871 17,245

1SS1 20,664

1891 31,034



The increase in the township of Bulk is due to the migration of the surplus
population of Lancaster over the border since the opening out of the Silk Mill estate.
The population of Scotforth now numbers 1,598, whereas last census it was 2,264,
and that of Skerton 31 1, compared with 2,838 in 1881.

The figures given above do not include the population of the port of
Lancaster, the returns of which are sent direct to the Census Office by H.M.'s Officers
of Customs. The ecclesiastical district of Christ Chinch, Lancaster, includes the
Workhouse, County Asylum, and Bowerham Barracks. St. Mary's district includes
the Castle and Ripley Hospital. St. Paul's, Scotforth, includes 655 in the Royal
Albert Asylum.

Items concerning Wards.

Park Ward. — The population in this ward includes 1980 in the County
Lunatic Asylum, and 193 in the Workhouse.

John o'Gaunt Ward. — The population in this ward includes 297 in the
Bowerham Barracks.

Queen's Ward. — The population in this ward includes 321 in Ripley
Hospital.

Castle Ward. — The population in this ward includes 61 in H.M.'s prison.

On page 110 the population of Lancaster on 1881 returns is given owing to
the above returns not being issued.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 541

WARD BOUNDARIES.

St. Anne's Ward.

From the boundary of the borough at Germany Bridge along
the centre of Germany Street, Parliament Street, North Road,
Cheapside, St. Nicholas Street, Stonevvell, Great John Street,
Dalton Square (west and south sides), and Nelson Street to the
Canal Bridge, along the Canal in a northerly direction to where the
borough boundary crosses the canal near the Dry Dock, following
along such boundary in a westerly direction to Germany Bridge.

John o'Gaunt Ward.

From the west end of Common Garden Street along the
centre of King Street, Penny Street, South Road and Bowerham
Lane to the boundary of the added area of Scotforth, then along
such boundary in a northerly direction to Golgotha and then in a
north westerly direction along the centre of Wyresdale Road, East
Road, Nelson Street, Dalton Square (south side), Brock Street and
Common Garden Street, to its junction in King Street.

Castle Ward.

From the centre of the River Lune at Carlisle Railway Bridge
along the river in a south easterly direction to a point opposite the
Timber Slip, then in a southerly direction along the centre of Dam-
side Street, North Road, Cheapside, St. Nicholas Street, Stonewell,
Great John Street, Dalton Square (west side), Brock Street, Common
Garden Street, King Street, Market Street, Castle Hill, Castle Park,
West Road and Willow Lane to the boundary of the borough at the
south end of such lane following along such boundary in a westerly
direction to the River Lune at Freeman's Wood end, and so up to
the river to the Carlisle Railway Bridge.



542 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



Queen's Ward.

From the west end of Common Garden Street along" the
centre of King Street, Upper King Street, Penny Street, South
Road and Bowerham Lane to the boundary of the added area of
Scotforth, thence along such boundary in a westerly and north-
erly direction to the south end of Willow Lane, then along such
lane to its junction with West Road, and thence along the centre of
West Road, Castle Park, Castle Hill, Market Street, and King
Street, to its junction with Common Garden Street.

Park Ward.

From the boundary of the borough where it crosses the
Lancaster Canal near the Dry Dock, along the canal in a southerly
direction to Nelson Street Bridge, then in an easterly direction along
the centre of East Road and Wyresdale Road to the borough
boundary at Golgotha ; thence in an easterly and northerly direction
along such boundary to where such boundary first joins the bound-
ary of the township of Bulk, and then in a westerly direction along
the borough boundary to the Lancaster Canal near the Dry Dock-



Skerton Ward.

From the centre of the River Lune at Carlisle Railway Bridge
along the river in a south easterly direction to a point opposite the
Timber Slip, then in a southerly direction along the centre of Dam-
side Street, North Road, Parliament Street, and Germany Bridge,
following along such boundary in a northerly direction to the centre
of the River Lune opposite the end of the Ladies' Walk, where it
joins the boundary of the added area of Skerton.

The Government Surveyor of Taxes is Mr. A. W. Foster,
Church Street ; the Clerk, Mr. G. W. Maxsted ; and the Assessor
and Collector, Mr. S. Bond. Borough Commissioners, Sir T. Storey;
M. Simpson, W. Pickard, Esqrs., and Col. Whalley.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



543



Rainfall in Lancaster, 1889.
Rain Gauge.



Station.
Smithfield



Authority.
Mr. Roper



I tiameter.



12 in.



Height
above ground.

3 ft., 6 in.



Height above
sea level.

114



Depth of
Rain.

3779



Days on which

o"i or more rain

fell.

174



From Symon's "British Rainfall."

For 1890, the total rainfall was 39 '68. Station : Marton Street Van! (70
feet above ordnance level).



Building Societies in Lancaster, with dates of their

Formation.

A Shakespeare Building- Society formed about 1840.

-An Amicable Building- Society was established at the Fleece
Inn, by twenty tradesmen, in January, 1844.

The Lancaster Benefit Building Society, established January
27th, 1844. In 1845, at the annual meeting there were sixty-eight
members.

An Alliance Building Society commenced in March, 1845.

First Starr-Bowkett Building Society. Secretary, Mr. Row,
Market Hall; formed 16th November, 1886.

Second Starr-Bowkett. Secretary, Mr. W. Ritson, Market
Street; 1 8th October, 1887.

Economic Building Society. Secretary, Mr. (',. H. Petty,
Market Street ; September, 1887.

Lancaster and County Permanent Benefit Building Society.
Secretary, Mr. N. Molyneux, 83, Church Street, and 20, Queen
Street, Morecambe; formed in 1873.

Lancaster "Model" Building Society. Secretary, Mr. C. R.
Compston, 1, New* Road; 5th May, 1888.



544 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER



Carnforth and District Permanent Benefit Building- Society.
Secretary, Mr. H.J. Orr, Church Street, Carnforth ; ioth December,
1886.

Lancaster and Morecambe Building Society. Secretary, Mr.
A. W. Gorton; formed, 15th December, 1886.

John o'Gaunt Building Society. Secretaries, Messrs. Maxsted
and Gibson.

The first John o'Gaunt's book dates from 1861 ; the second
from 1873, and the third from 1886.



Literary and Scientific Societies.

The Amicable Society and Library was founded in 1768. Mr
W. O. Roper, Deputy Town Clerk, is the Secretary.

The Lancaster Philosophical Society was established in 1884.

Presidents.

W. H. Higgin, Esq., Q.C., 1 885-1 887 ; Rev. Canon Allen,
D.D., 1888; Edward B. Dawson, Esq., L.L.B., 1889; Rev. D. Davis,
B.A., 1890; Rev. W. E. Pryke, M.A., 1891 ; W. O. Roper, Esq.

The Lancaster School of Art was one of the first Schools of
Art established by the Science and Art Department after the 185 1
exhibition. It dates from 1856. The Secretary is Mr. J. W.
Pickard; Art Master: Mr. H. Gilbert.

The Lancaster Photographic Society, numbering fifty-five
members, formed in 1889.

The Lancaster Science Students' Association, established in
1889.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 545

Musical and Operatic Societies.

Lancaster Choral Society, originally established in 1836;
revived by Mr. F. Dean, Mus. Bac, and others, in 1857. The
following gentlemen constituted the committee: Mr. John Stewart,
Mr. William Whelon, Mr. E. G. Paley, Mr. J. Shrigley, and Mr.
C. Howe; Treasurer, Mr. J.J. Maudsley; Secretary, Mr. Thomas
Johnson; Organist, Mr. George Kempe; Conductor, Mr. F. Dean.

Amateur Dramatic Society, established in September, 1S69;
revived in February, 1891 . First performance in the year 1869, "The
Illustrious Stranger," followed by a farce entitled "Raising the
Wind."

Lancaster Orchestral Society, established in October, 1881.

Church Defence.

Church Defence Institution, Lancaster Branch formed in
1872. Mr. J. Hatch, junr., secretary.

Law.

Law Society founded in 1838.

In 1800, according to an old law list, there were 63 barristers
and five silk gownsmen on the Northern Circuit, viz., Messrs. Law
and Park, and Sergeants Cockell, Clayton, and Hey wood. In
1844 there were 221 barristers, and thirteen silk gownsmen. In
1891 the number of barristers and silksmen on the Northern Circuit
was 325. Of this number 24 are Q.C's.

Marine Society 1792. Law Library attached.

Clubs.

County Club (non-political), established first in Great John
Street, where the Reform Club now is, in August, 1873. Steward,
Mr. Rose.



K2



j 4 6 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



Lancaster Conservative Club, established in April, 1883.
President, the Rev. C. T. Royds, M.A., A.C.C.; secretary, J. W.
Marshall, Esq. ; treasurer, Mr. T. Bayley,

Lancaster Reform Club established in the summer of 1881.
Lord Edward Cavendish was the first president. Premises renovated
in 1891.

Temperance Society.

Lancaster Total Abstinence Society, founded in 1853. Pre-
sident, E. B. Dawson, Esq., Aldcliffe Hall ; secretary, Mr. F. W.
Smith. The first Temperance Society in Lancaster was founded 1832.

Horticultural and Agricultural Societies.

Lancaster and District Floral and Horticultural Society,
founded September 2nd, 1874, at a public meeting held in the
Exchange Hall, Penny Street, Henry Gregson, Esq., in the chair.
President, E. B. Dawson, Esq., Aldcliffe Hall ; secretary, Mr. T.
H. Stirzaker.

Lancaster Agricultural Society, established about 1796-8.

Another matter worth noting consists of the formation in
this, the county town, of the Royal North Lancashire Agricultural
Society, which held its first show here in 1847, Lord Stanley
iding at the dinner held in the National School.

Rowing Societies.

Lancaster Rowing Club, formed in 1843. Colonel Whalley
elected Commodore in 1871. The club used to meet on the Quay ;
it first met on Halton Water in 1845. (A Leander Rowing Club
was^established in May, 1845.)



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER. 547



John o'Gaunt Rowing Club, established in 1867 by gentle-
men belonging to the former club. The first name was entered
on August 20th, 1867. lion. Sec, Mr. E. Dugdale ; lion
treasurer, Couneillor Turney.

Various Clubs and Societies.

Luneside Cricket Club, June, 1841.

Lancaster Cycling- Club, established in 1887. Secretary,
Mr. S. Dawson; Treasurer, Mr. A. P. Bnlfield.

Lancaster Swimming- Club, established in 1889.

Lancaster Footpath Protection and Preservation Association,
established 1878. The first officers were proposed on what is known
as "Hard Times," on the moor.

The Gregson Memorial Club and Reading Rooms were opened
on the 20th of April, 1890. The Lancaster Coffee House Company
took over these premises about November, 1890.

The Lancaster and Skerton Co-operative Societv was estab-
lished in i860.

Lancaster and District Butchers' Association, established in
1889. Mr. Wm. Hathornthwaite, president; Mr. Joseph Parker,
Secretary.

The Schoolmasters' Benevolent Institution was established
in 1883. President: the Rev. Dr. Allen, Vicar of Lancaster;
Secretary: Mr. J. Hatch, Aldcliffe Road.

Home Teaching and General Help for the Blind: Branch
Society established in Lancaster, March 1st, 1891.



; 4 8 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER



Charities, Addenda.

Mrs. Margaret France ,£300 upon trust, 20s. each to be paid to the inmates
of the Gillison and Penny Hospitals the day after her burial, and after the expenses
of the deed, &c, two-thirds of the funds remaining were to go to the Trustees of the
Lancaster Dispensary and the other third to be used in repairing or improving the
houses of the Gillison Hospital Will dated 27th May, 1S18.

Sir Thomas Gerrard's charity consisted of about £8 annually to debtors in
Lancaster Castle.

Sir John Harrison, by will dated 21st September, 1669, ,£100 to be laid out
in land for the benefit of the poor.

William Heysham's gift of East Green, Kent, consisted of messuages, lands,
and tenements situated at the ( rreaves, the same were to go to a certain Mary Miller for
life, and then at her death to the Lancaster Corporation for ever in trust, the rents
and profits to he divided among eight deserving poor men of the town selected by
the mayor, recorder, and three senior aldermen. Will is dated 22nd April, 1725.

Peter Lathom, of Bispham, left by will dated 2nd April, 1700, the profits of
as much land as ,£200 would purchase for the use of poor prisoners in the Castle.

William Edmundson left half the rent of Lowheld, in Scotforth, for the
benefit of debtors.

Abigail Rigby by will dated 1709 left a rent charge of £2 per annum to
poor widows not in receipt of parish relief. Another like rent charge for the benefit
of debtors was also left by this lady.

arietta Rigby by will dated 5th August, 1741, left .£,100 for the purchase
of lands near Lancaster, the vicar and mayor of the borough to distribute 20s. to four
poor widows, and the residue to be divided among twelve poor debtors in the Castle.
The legacy was ne'er laid out in land as directed by the testatrix.

George Rogerson left by r indenture dated 15th January, 1619, certain lands,
the rents to go towards providing aid for poor persons in Preston, and apprenticing
youths to suitable trades, the rest to be used in providing meat and drink for poor
debtors in the Castle at Lancaster. £9 yearly was to he distributed by the mayor of
Preston and four senior aldermen for Preston recipients, and the residue to the
Mayor of Lancaster and some ancient aldermen for like distribution amongst the
prisoneis. the amounts to be paid half yearly on the Feasts of St. John the Baptist
and St. Thomas the Apostle.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER 549



It is pleasing to observe from the second annual report of the Trustees of
the Lancaster Charities (1891) that there have been " two handsome contributions to
the funds available for out-door pensions: viz. , the Lancastei Clothing Society, per
Miss Hindle, ^80 ; a lady friend, ^30. On the receipt of these gifts the trustees
made grants of additional pensions of 5s. per week each to foui pool and ag
widows." It is also gratifying to learn that "The endowment fund has been
augmented during- the year by a legacy of ^xoo (free of legacy duty) from Mrs. J
Sandham, of Rugby, for Gardyner's Charity. Intimation lias also been received of
a very handsome bequest under the will of Miss Bradshaw.

The Lancaster and District Tramways Company, Limited,
was formed in 1S88, and incorporated under the Companies' Acts,
1862 to 1886, in 1889. The Royal Assent to the Tramways' Act is
dated July 26th, 1889. The capital of the Company consists of
^40,000 with ^20,000 issue in 20,000 jQi shares, payable 2s. 6d.
on application, and 2s. 6d. per share on allotment.

The Lancaster and Morecambe section was first opened to
the public on Saturday, August 2nd, 1890.



SKERTON.

Of this village but little is known concerning its ancient
history. The name it bears is certainly a compound of Danish and
Saxon, and Anglicised represents simpiy Scartown, from Danish
skaar, a precipitous bank or rock, Icelandic sAor, Breton skitrr.

Skerton, or anciently Schertune, was estimated in the Dooms-
day Survey at six carucates within the extensive manor of Ha/tunc,
held by the Saxon Earl Tosti, Sartun is distinctly named among the
possessions of the Crown in the 6th of Henry III. (Rot. Fin. J 1222,



55o TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER



and it gave name to a family who held it by reeveship ' per provost-
eriam.' William, the first on record, gave to the lepers of St.
Leonard's Hospital, Lancaster, six acres in alms, and the monks of
Furneis 12 acres; to John de Thoraldestohn he gave 40 acres.
Roger de Skerton or Schertun, his sun, who died about 1225 (9th
Henry III.) held half a carucate of land ' per provos/eriam ' and gave
to Philip, the clerk, five acres (Testa de NevilL). In a Roll of Fines
(9th Henry III), is a mandate to the Sheriff expressed in these terms :
" It appears to the King by the inquisition which he caused to be
made, that Roger de Skerton held of the Crown half a carucate,
with appurtenances in Skerton, and that Robert de Skerton, his son,
is the next heir ; " the Sheriff is, therefore, commanded to take
security for half a mark, to be paid to the King for his relief, and
to deliver seisin to Robert de Skertun (Rot. Fin. m. j.J It also
appears according to the Testa de Nevill that Robert, son of Roger
de Shertenay, held half a carucate in the same town by the service
of being the King's reeve in Skerton, and it was worth 40s. Robert
de Skerton gave to the Prior} - o\ Lancaster a place called Muffors-
cote, near the road to Bare ; an acre between Harmcs and Longrig ;
and an acre in the plain of Scarton near to Hareham Syke ; half a
bovate of land in the vliL oi Bare (Reg. St. Mary). It does not
appear at what period these local proprietors ceased their connection
with the township. !n the 25th Edward 1. (1297) Skerton was one
of the possessions of Edmund, Earl of Lancaster; in the 17th
Edward II. (1323-4) John Travers had a grant of lands and tene-
ments in Skerton, Torrisholme and Bare, besides other places in
Lonsdale (Rot. Pat. iyth Ed. ii p.l. in. 2). In the survey of 1320-6
( Chetham Society Ixxiv. p. 6jJ, John Pedes holds 20 acres in
Skerton in socage ; John Lawrence, 22 acres ; the Abbot of
Fourneux, 1 toft and 25 acres ; the Prior of Lancaster, 4
acres. Skerton was accounted a manor among the estates of
John of Gaunt, in 1361, when, or perhaps before that time, John
Lawrence held 30 acres of land. In the i6th year of Henry VII.
(1501), it was held as a manor by Sir fames Lawrence; but in
inquisitions after the deaths of others of the same family, it is not
styled a manor. Beaumont, in this township, was one of the ancient
granges or farms belonging to the Abbey of Furness.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



XV



The village of Skerton has been considered a rough spot
earlier on in the present century. Since the incorporation of the
township, in 1888, many improvements have taken place. Dwelling'
houses and shops have been rebuilt, and the old county police
station relinquished in favour of new premises erected in 1889-90 at
a cost of ^5,000. At Acrelands, in this parish, Mr. W. H. Higgin,
Q.C., was born (see biographical notice). Lune Bank is the old
seat of the Housman family, (see also Biographies). William Shaw
Simpson was also born here. Ryelands, the seat of the member
for the Lancaster division, was erected about fifty-two years ago,
by Mr. W. Dunn. Mr. Williamson purchased this estate in 1874,
for ^24,500. It contains 90 acres. On the the opposite side is
Lune Villa, the delightful seat of Mr. Smalley. The township
contains about 1,186 acres of land.

The Church at Skerton was erected in 1833. It is dedicated
to St. Luke. The incumbents of Skerton have been the Rev. C.
Bury, appointed in 1833. He was succeeded by the Rev. Barclay
Bevan, rector of Brede, Sussex, May 9th, 1840; who resigned the
living in October, 1S42. He was succeeded by the Rev. John Barrow,
who died February 28th, 1844. The Rev. Edmund Clay, vicar,
1847. Next came the Rev. Robert Simpson, M.A., author of the
" History and Antiquities of Lancaster." who died May 6th, 1855,
aged 58. After him we have the Rev. T. Lodge, followed by the
Rev. W. C. Bradbury and the Rev. John Brack, present incumbent.
A Mr. Davis is mentioned on page 93 of " Lancaster Churches and
Chapels."

The Rev. T. Lodge, I learn, was Incumbent twelve or
thirteen years, and the Rev. W. C. Bradbury a little over twelve
months.

The interior of the Church is bright and pleasant, and makes
one fancy he is in a rural sanctuary, far away from Skerton Bridge.



552 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.



On the north wall near the east end is the following
memorial : —

this tablet

to the memory of the late

Rev. Thomas Barrow,

incumbent of st. lukes, skerton,

who departed this life february 19th, 1 844,

aged 28 years.

is erected by numerous friends who desire thus to record

their high esteem for him as a faithful preacher and

consistent christian.
'• He being" dead yet speaketh." — Heb. xi. 3.

On the south wall is one-

IN MEMORY OF

Captain Thomas Graham (2ND Bombay Grenadiers),

WHO DIED AT SKERTON, IITH MAY, 1837,
AND WAS BURIED IN THIS CHURCH YARD,

^T 35.

ALSO OF HIS CHILDREN

WHO DIED IN INDIA

IN THEIR INFANCY

AND

Thomas (ist Lieut. Bombay Artillery),

who died in india, between suez and cairo,

on his way home from india, 5th june, 1 855,

and was buried at the 4th station from suez.

JET 23.

also John, (late Captain 2sd Bombay Grenadiers),
who died in bombay, november 28th, 1864,

-^ T 35-

and of Helen Bridget, widow of the above

Captain Thomas Graham, who departed this life

at buckleigh, westward ho, on the 25th july, 1 876.

in her /3rd year.



TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER



03.1



Another states that —

THIS TABLET

IN MEMORY OF JOSEPH WHALLEY OF LANCASTER,

BARR1STER-AT-LAW OF THE HON. SOCIETY OF LINCOLN'S INN, ESQ.,

WHO DIED AT LEAMINGTON, MARCH 8TH, 1850,

AGED 35 YEARS,

IS ERECTED BY HIS DEEPLY SORROWING WIDOW

AS A TRIBUTE OF' AFFECTION.

" Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee." — 49 Isiah 15 v.
On a brass below is read —

in memory of
Charles Lawson Whalley,

of richmond house, esq.,

who died june 3rd, 1 884,

aged 65 years.

Next is a marble —

in memory of

John Ellershaw, of Skerton,

who died november 29th, 1 845,

aged 68 years.

ALSO OF

Nancy, his widow,

who died march 6th, 1855,

aged 75 years.

ALSO OF

Mary, their daughter,

who died november 22nd, 1 87 1,

aged 64 years,

ALSO OF

John, their son,

who died february 5th, 1880,

aged 70 years.



554 TIME-HONOURED LANCASTER.

At the base of the north lancet window of the east end of the
Church are these words: — "To the Glory of God and in loving
memory of Frances Margaret Whalley, widow of the late Joseph



Online LibraryCross FleuryTime-honoured Lancaster ... Historic notes on the ancient borough of Lancaster → online text (page 49 of 55)