burial immediately took place and the good priest
was laid to rest surrounded in death by those to whom
in life he had ministered.
The next want to be filled was a chapel for the
meeting of Sunday-schools and various church socie-
ties. For this purpose the First Christian Baptist
Churchâ€” together with its organ and furnitureâ€” was
purchased from Elder Pike for the sum of seven
thousand two hundred dollars in July, 1873.
Soon after this, having in view the establishment
of parochal schools at no distant day, the site of the
" Female High School," at the corner of Washington
and Court Streets, was purchased in August, 1873, for
$4800 from Robert Couch.
Father Teeling having taken, during the summer
and fall of 1878, a well-earned vacation, returned in
November to his place, which had been filled during
his absence by his assistant, now the pastor of the
Church of our Lady of the Rosary, South Boston â€”
Rev. John J. McNulty, aided by Rev. James O'Reilly,
now pastor at York, Pa. Reference to these reverend
gentlemen recalls the fact that, after his first year
here. Father Teeling received as assistant Rev.
Edward S. Galligan, who remained a year. After an
interval of about another year a second assistant.
Rev. John McNulty, whom we have already men-
tioned, was sent to the parish, and remained there
until August, 1879. Some time prior to that, how-
ever, refreshed and strengthened by his trip, and with
faculties and judgment developed by his travels.
Father Teeling set about another great work â€” the
freeing of the church from the debts remaining upon
it, and solemnly consecrating it to the divine service :
something that cannot be done while there is a cent
of debt upon it. The congregation, entering heartily
into his great design, responded more generously than
ever, and on the 24th of June, 1879, shared with their
pastor the joy attendant on the fulfillment of their
pious desires, â€” and the church was solemnly conse-
crated. The celebrant on this occasion was Most
Rev. Archbishop Williams, and the sermon was de-
livered by Rt. Rev. Bishop O'Reilly, of Springfield.
Archbishop Williams also presided at Vespers in the
evening, and delivered an address of congratulation
to the Catholics of Newburyport for the glorious
work accomplished by them â€” freeing their church
from debt, and being thus the first in the present
archdiocese of Boston to solemnly consecrate a parish
church to the service of God. Next after the congre-
gation, its pastor and its assistant, the archbishop
stated that he himself experienced the most heart-
felt thrill of joy at the grand success.
After the departure of Father McNulty, Rev. John
T. Gormley succeeded, and remained nearly two
years. Before his arrival, however, it became evi-
dent that the energetic pastor did not yet consider
his work complete. July 1, 1879, he bought from
George J. L. Colby, Esq., his estate on Court
Street, next to the parochial residence, for two thou-
sand three hundred dollars ; and we learn from the
Semi-ioeekly Germ, dated November 12, 1879, that
â– ' Father Teeling informed his congregation on Sun-
day last that in a year from that time a Catholic
school would be in the full tide of successful opera-
tion in the Catholic square on the corner of Court
and Washington streets, on the former site of the
'Female High School.'" From another Newbury-
port paper, the Merrimac Valley Visitor, dated Decem-
ber 20, 1879, we copy : "The plans for the Catholic
school building have been completed by Rufus Sar-
gent, and the contract for labor will be given out in
January." Again, the same paper, bearing date Sep-
tember 15, 1880, under the heading, "Something
they may be proud of," reads as follows : " The Cath-
olic Church is paying for their school-house as it is
being built, and to this day have no debt upon it. It
is the largest wooden building in the city, and will
be an elegant structure, costing at least $40,000."
[It cost thirty thousand dollars.] " If they can have
it free from debt next September, it will be a monu-
ment of their industry and devotion to religious edu-
cation. The parsonage on Court Street and the in-
fant schools at the north and south ends will also be
completed next year. It is not probable that the
Catholic Church will long confine Father Teeling's
great executive ability to this parish. If he had a
broad field in some Western State, he would make his
mark upon the country."
HISTORY OF ESSEX COUNTY, MASSACHUSETTS.
For the first year the work went steadily on, but
just as everything was most promising, in April,
1881, an event occurred which would have discour-
aged a less determined and less generous people.
This was the destruction by fire of the pastor's former
residence, which, though old and dilapidated, would
have been made to do duty until the other undertak-
ings that had been commenced could have been com-
pleted. Such was not to be, however, and once more
the energy of pastor and people met the emergency,
and immediate preparations were made for the erec-
tion of the present pastoral residence, to which, in
August, 1882, the people so gladly welcomed their
priests after the latter had been obliged to live for
nearly a year and a half at quite an inconvenient dis-
tance from the church.
Notwithstanding the unfortunate event we have
mentioned, such had been the progress that the
Parochial Hall was ready and formally dedicated to
religion, patriotism, poetry, music and good cheer
on the natal anniversary of Ireland's great poet,
Thomas Moore, May 28, 1881, when, at a social gath-
ering there, his genius and patriotism were com-
September, 1881, the beautiful chapel was com-
jileted and dedicated. Thenceforward work pro-
gressed with no interruption until the completion of
all, â€” school-house, convent and parochial residence.
The latter, as we have said, was occupied in August,
1882. Its cost was seven thousand dollars. Nine
Sisters of Charity came from Kentucky the following
week, and took possession of the house prepared for
them by removing the Colby estate to the northeast
side of the Parochial Hall, and there making such
changes as were necessary to adapt it for a convent.
The cost of this was four thousand dollars. The
Sisters, who are known as Sisters of Charity of Naza-
reth, belong to an order founded in Kentucky in the
year 1812 by three pious and charitable women,
under the inspiration and direction of Catherine
Spalding, a near relative of the famous Archbishop
Spalding, of Baltimore. This was the first colony of
the order that came east of Kentucky ; but in the
many cities of the West and South, where they have
long had charge of schools, they have won an excel-
lent reputation as teachers and disciplinarians. The
schools opened under their charge Tuesday, Septem-
ber 5th, after celebration of Mass by Archbishop
Meanwhile, Father Gormley had been succeeded
by another assistant. Rev. William A. Ryan, who
came to Newburyport in June, 1881. Still another
became necessary the following Christmas, and the
present able and zealous priest, Rev. Murtagh E.
Twomey, having been just ordained afier a col-
legiate and seminary course, in which he achieved
rare distinction, came to Newburyport. His ser-
vices have been particularly valuable in the
schools, the highest grade of the boys' department
being ever since entirely under his care. A depres-
sion in business, the closing of the Ocean Mill and
consequent departure of some of the residents render-
ing a retrenchment necessary. Rev. Father Ryan's
services had to be reluctantly dispensed with, and
another position at the Church of the Assumption,
Brookline, was assigned him.
Owing to the unexpectedly large number of pupils
that sought the instruction of the Sisters, the number
of the latter had to be increased by three, and others
have since been added, so that there are now eighteen,
having over seven hundred children in charge. For
the benefit of the younger children living at the two
extreme ends of the city, two of the city school-houses,
which had become vacant, were leased September 19,
1883, for ten years,for the sum of fifty dollars a year.
A few months after this, April 28, 1884, the school,
convent and parochial house were, under the name of
the Immaculate Conception Educational Association,
incorporated according to the laws of the Common-
wealth of Massachusetts ; and August 2d of the
same year, under the special act of the Legislature
for Roman Catholic Churches, the church and
cemetery were incorporated under title of the Im-
maculate Conception Society of Newburyport.
In the early summer of 1886 the Wills estate, at
the corner of Washington and Green Streets, having
come into the market, it was deemed advisable to
purchase it as a residence for the Sisters, whose num-
ber had outgrown the accommodations of the first
convent provided for them. This purchase was
made July 6, 1880, for the sum of eleven thousand
two hundred and fifty dollars, and the Sisters, moved
into their new home the next month. A portion of
the first convent was then converted into school-
rooms, the remainder into apartments for the meet-
ing of a Literary and Musical Club connected with
And thus have the Catholic relig ion and Catholic
education progressed in Newburyport, until now
their condition presents a most gratifying recompense
to the people who have so earnestly and unselfishly
worked for this advancement, and who now rejoice
in beholding in them a strong bulwark against im-
morality and infidelity.
There are two churches in Newburyport which
wereoriginally secedersfrom the First Church in New-
bury, â€” the First Religious Society and the First
The First Religious Society was organized in
1725, and settled Rev. John Lowell (Harvard 1721)
in 1726. In 1735 it was formally set off by an act of
the General Court. Mr. Lowell continued in the
pastorate until his death, in 1767, and was succeeded
by Rev. Thomas Cary (Harvard 1761) in 1768. Mr.
Cary served twenty years, when Rev. John Andrews
(Harvard 1786) was settled as his colleague, and suc-
ceeded him in the full psistorate on his death, which
occurred November 24, 1808. Mr. Andrews continued
in the pastorate until 1830, and was succeeded by
Rev. Thomas B. Fox (Harvard 1828), whose followers
have been Rev. Thomas W. Higginson (Harvard 1841),
Rev. Charles Bo wen, Rev. A. B. Muzzey (Harvard
1824), Rev. George L. Stowell and Rev. D. W. More-
house, who resigned in October, 1887. The first
meeting-house of the society was in Market Square,
and the present edifice on Pleasant Street was built
The First Presbyterian Church was formed
out of the First Newbury Church, January 3, 1740.
Nineteen members of that church had seceded, and for
two years had worshipped in a small building on
what is now High street, with Joseph Adams, a grad-
uate of Harvard in 1742, as its officiating clergyman.
On the 19th of March, 1746, Rev. Jonathan Parsons was
installed and has been followed by Rev. John Murray,
Rev. Daniel Dana, D.D., Rev. S. P. Williams, John
Proudfit, D.D., Jonathan F. Stearns (Harvard 1830),
A. S. Vermilye, R. H. Richardson, Charles F. Durfee^
William W. Newell, Jr. (Harvard 1859), and Rev!
Charles C. Wallace. The meeting-hou-ie occupied by
the society was built in 1756, and Whitefield was
buried in a vault under its pulpit.
The Fourth Religious Society was incorporated
in 1794 and made up of seceders from the First Pres-
byterian, who were dis.satisfied with Rev. John Mur-
ray. They had built their present house of worship
in 1793, and Rev. Charles W. Melton was installed
March 20, 1794. Mr. Melton continued in the pas-
torate until his death, March 31, 1837, and was suc-
ceeded by Rev. Randolph Campbell in the same
year whose assistant, I. H. Ross, was settled in 1877,
and Rev. P. S. Hurlbert. Their church edifice was
remodeled in 1800.
The Second Presbyterian Church was organ-
ized October 29, 1795, by seceders from the First Pres-
by terian, who were dissatisfied with the settlement of
Rev. Daniel Dana. The first pastor was Rev. John
Boddely, of Bristol, England, who died November 4,
1802, and was succeeded by Rev. John Giles, also an
Englishman, who resigned in 1823. Rev. Wm. Ford
followed in 1824 and Rev. Daniel Dana in 1825. In
1845 Dr. Dana resigned, and in 1846 Rev. W. W.
Eels was settled, followed by several others, of whom
Rev. J. A. Bartlett was settled in 1877, and was suc-
ceeded by the present pastor. Rev. Theodore Beigley.
The North Congregational Church was formed
in 1768 and incorporated as the "Third Religious So-
ciety of Newburyport." Its first members were
persons who left the First Church at the time of the
settlement of Rev. Thomas Cary. The secession,
which was due to the liberal sentiments of Mr. Cary
and of those who supported him, was entirely harmo-
nious, as is shown by the vote of the old church
passed January 18, 1768, to divide the church plate
and stock between the seceding and remaining
brethren. Rev. Christopher Bridge Marsh (Harvard
1761) was settled October 19, 1768, and was followed,
after an interval of four years from his death, which
occurred December 3, 1773, by Rev. Samuel Spring,
who was ordained in August, 1777. Dr. Spring died
March 4, 1819, and was succeeded by Rev. Luther F.
Dimmick, D.D., December 8th in the same year.
Rev. E. C. Hooker succeeded December 11, 1860, who
left at the end of four years and was succeeded by
Rev. W. A. McGinly in 1865, by Rev. James Powell
in 1869 and by Rev. Charles R. Seymour and Rev.
Charles P. Mills. The meeting-house of this society,
built in 1769, was burned in 1861, and at once rebuilt
on the old site. '
The Belleville Church was incorporated in 1808
under the name of the " Fourth Religious Society "
in Newbury, and was originally set off as a separate
parish in 1761. At first this society occupied the old
Queen Anne's Chapel, and in 1763 built a place of
worship of its own. Rev. Oliver Noble was settled in
1762 and .served until 1784. After an interval of
twenty-four years without a settled minister. Rev.
James Miltimore was settled in 1808. He was suc-
ceeded in 1832 by Rev. J. C. March, a native of New-
buryport, who remained until his death, in Septem-
ber, 1846. The Rev. Daniel T. Fisk was ordained in
1847 and resigned during the last summer. Rev.
Willis A. Hadley has since accepted a call. The
house of worship of the society stands on the site oc-
cupied by the old one, which was struck by lightning ,
and burned in 1816.
The Green Street Baptist is an outgrowth of the \
Baptist Church which was formed in 1804 and organ- '
ized in the next year. Rev. Joshua Chase preached
for a short time and was followed late in 1805 by Rev. 1
John Peak. Rev. Hosea Wheeler succeeded Mr. '
Peak in 1818 and was followed by Nathaniel Wil-
liams, Wm. B. Jacobs, Jonathan Aldrich, Albert N.
Arnold and Nicholas Medbury, when it ceased to ex-
ist. In 1809 a brick meeting-house was built on
Liberty Street, which was burned in the fire of 1811. i
In 1812 the building on Congress Street, afterwards ]
occupied by the Christian Society, was built. The '
Green Street Society was organized in 1846 with the
Rev. Nicholas Medbury, of the old society, as its pas-
tor, and the meeting-house now in use was erected
in 1848. There were dissensions and secessions in the
old organization, but the present society has closed
and healed all former divisions. Its pastors since
Mr. Medbury have been Revs. John Richardson, J. R.
Lane, J. T. Beckley and Eugene E. Thomas. I
The Purchase Street Methodist Episcopal
Church, called the " People's Church," had its origin
in the labors of Rev. John Adams, who in 1819 col-
lected a congregation which, until 1825, was connected
with the Salisbury Conference. In 1825 Newburyport i
was made a station and placed under the charge |
of Mr. Adams. In the same year a meeting-house
was built on Purchase Street. In 1826 Rev. Barthol-
omew Othman was appointed to the station. The
present pastor is Rev. F. K. Stratton.
HISTORY OF ESSEX COUNTY, MASSACHUSETTS.
The Washington St. Methodist Episcopal
Church was organized June 20, 1827, and a meeting-
house on Liberty Street was built in the same year.
Rev. Bartholomew Othraan was its first pastor. Its
present house of worship is on Washington Street,
and its pastor is Rev. W. A. Manaton.
The Univeesai-ist Society was organized Dec.
20, 1834. Its meetiug-house on Middle Street was
dedicated in 1840. Its pastors have been William
M. Fernold, Darius Forbes, Edwin A. Easton, James
Shrigley, A. R. Abbot, Daniel M. Reed, Willard
Spaulding and J. H. Hartley.
The Christiax Church was organized May 7,
1840, and Rev. Daniel P. Pike was settled as its first
minister. In 1845 a meeting-house was built on
Court Street, which is now owned by the Catholic
Church. The old Baptist Church on Congress Street
was afterwards purchased and is now occupied by
The Second Advent Church was organized in
December, 1848, under Rev. John Pearson, Jr. After
meeting several years in Washington Hall, the
society built its present handsome edifice on Charter
The Whitefiei.d Congregational Church was
organized January 1, 1850. Rev. John E. Emerson
was ordained its first pastor, but died a little more
than a year after his settlement. Rev. Samuel J.
Spaulding, D.D., succeeded him, followed by Rev.
Henry E. Mott. The meeting-house of this society
was built in 1852.
The Seventh-Day Adventists were organized
A more minute history of the churches is imprac-
ticable within the limited space to which this narrative
must be confined, and after reference has been made
to the schools, the Public Library, to other organiza-
tions not yet spoken of, and the press, this necessarily
incomplete history of Nevvburyport must be brought
to a close.
According to the last report of the School Com-
mittee, the number of children in the city of school
age was 2515, and the number in the public schools
1783. For the instruction of these children seventeen
schools are furnished. These are the Brown and Girls'
High School, with one principal and three assistants,
and an average attendance of 98 ; the Kelley School,
one principal and seven assistants, with an average
attendance of 282 ; the Jackman Boys' Grammar
School, one principal and one assistant and an aver-
age attendance of 56 ; the Johnson Girls' Grammar
School, one principal and one assistant and an aver-
age attendance of 64 ; the Bromfield Street Girls'
Grammar School, one principal and one assistant,
with an average attendance of 52 ; the Currier Boys'
Grammar School, one principal and one assistant and
an average attendance of 55 ; the Forrester Street
Girls' Grammar School, one principal and one assist-
ant and an average attendance of 59; the Plains
Mixed Grammar and Primary School, one principal
and an average attendance of 25; the Moultouville
Mixed Grammar and Primary School, one principal
and an average attendance of 28 ; the Bromfield
Street Primary School, one principal and one assistant
and an average attendance of 55 ; the Jackman Boys'
Primary School, one principal and one assistant and
an average attendance of 56 ; the Johnson Girls' Pri-
mary School, one principal and one assistant and an
average attendance of 58 ; the Temple Street Girls'
Primary School, one principal and an average attend-
ance of 23; the Davenport Boys' Primary School, one
principal and one assistant and an average attendance
of 42 ; the Davenport Girls' Primary School, one prin-
cipal and an average attendance of 26 ; the Kent
Street Mixed Primary School, one principal and an
average attendance of 29 â€¢ and the Ashland Street
Mixed Primary School, one principal and one assist-
ant and an average attendance of 75.
For the support of these schools an appropriation
of twenty thousand dollars was made in 1886, but
this sum does not represent the cost of their mainten-
ance, as the income of several funds is devoted to
that purpose, among which are the Putnam and
Brown funds, already referred to, for the support of
the Putnam Free School and the Brown High School,
both of which are now merged in the Boys' and Girls'
In 185G the Public Library was founded by a gift
of five thousand dollars from Hon. Josiah Little.
This fund has been increased from time to time by
gifts already described, and finally the library was
established on a permanent basis by the gift of the
Tracy mansion, to which reference has been made.
The number of books in the library at the time of the
last report, in 1886, was twenty-three thousand eight
hundred and thirty-three. In connection with the
library there is a free public reading-room, which is
fully performing its part in making that institution
an educating and elevating influence in the commu-
The local press of Newburyport consists of the
Weekly Herald, published on Fridays, the Baily Her-
ald and the Merrimac Valley Visitor. The first
newspaper started here was The Essex Journal and
Merrimac Packet, or the Massachusetts and New Hamp-
shire General Advertiser, by Thomas & Tinges, of
which Isaiah Thomas was the senior partner. The
first number was dated December 4th in that year.
On Friday, June 30, 1775, its name was changed to
Essex Journal, or the Massachusetts and New Hamp-
shire Oene^-al Advertiser. On the 4th of August, 1775,
it was changed to Essex Journal, or New Hampshire
Packet, and November 1, 1776, it was again changed
to Essex Journal, or New Hampshire Packet and the
Weekly Advertiser. The Impartial Herald, a Federal
paper, was started in 1793 and was the parent of the
present Newburyport Herald. The first number was
i.Â»sued May 17, 1793, and consisted of four pages of
four narrow columns each, and the price was nine
shillings per year. It was published on Saturdays,
in Market Square, "opposite the southeast corner of
Mr. Andrews' meeting-house." The two proprietors
were Edward M. Blunt and Howard S. Robinson.
Mr. Blunt was the author of the " Coast Pilot," and
served his apprenticeship with John Mycall, the
successor of Isaiah Thomas in the Essex Journal.
Angier March succeeded Mr. Robinson and became
a partner of Mr. Blunt in 1794. On the 16th of De-
cember in that year the Herald became a semi-week-
ly and continued such until Friday, June 6, 1879,
when it became again a weekly. On the 6th of
November, 1795, the office was removed to Mr.
Blunt's bookstore on State Street. On the 24th of
September, 1796, Mr. Blunt retired and left Mr.
March the sole proprietor. The price, which since
Mr. March joined Mr. Blunt had been twelve shill-
ings, was now fixed at two dollars and fifty cents per
year. On the 31st of October, 1797, William Barrett
became associated with Mr. March and the paper
called the Political Gazette, which he had started on
the 30th of April in that year, was merged in the
Impartial Herald, under the name of the Newburyport
Herald and Country Gazette. On the 22d of Decem-
ber, 1797, the partnership was dissolved and Mr.
March returned to his old quarters. On the 29th of
November, 1798, he removed again to State Street and
there remained until December 31, 1799, when he
removed to the north corner of Market Square.
On the 1st of April, 1800, the price was raised to
three dollars, and from April 11, 1800, to October 17,
1800, it was published by Chester Stebbins for the
proprietor. On the 4th of August, 1801, Mr. March
retired, the office having been previously removed to
the south side of Market Square. The new proprie-
tors were Ephraim W. Allen and Jeremy Stickney,
who had been publishing a paper called the American
Intelligencer, which was merged in the Herald. Their
oflice was on Middle Street until December 4th, when
it was moved to No. 7 State Street. On the 15th of
June, 1802, Mr. Stickney retired, selling his interest
to John Barnard, who remained until July 8, 1803,
leaving Mr. Allen the sole proprietor, as he contin-
ued during most of the time until 1834. At the time
of the fire his office was on Middle Street, and was
burned. Until December 13, 1811, Mr. Allen occu-
pied a temporary office on Merrimac Street at Brown's
wharf. His ne.xt removal was to No. 16 State Street
in December, 1811, where the Herald has remained
up to the present time.
Mr. Allen, at various times, had as associates
Henry R. Stickney, his brother William B. Allen