Dallas T. (Dallas Tabor) Herndon.

Centennial history of Arkansas online

. (page 151 of 186)
Online LibraryDallas T. (Dallas Tabor) HerndonCentennial history of Arkansas → online text (page 151 of 186)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Medical Societies and also the American Medical Association.

Dr. Nolan is well known as a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and of the Masonic fraternity and is a loyal follower of the high purposes of these
organizations. He is likewise a consistent member of the Baptist church and his
life is ruled by principles which in every land and clime awaken confidence and regard.



OTTO V. MARTIN.



Otto V. Martin is a most alert, energetic and wide-awake young business man,
who is at the head of the Otto V. Martin Industries of Fort Smith, with offices in the
Merchants National Bank building. He was born in Ozark, Arkansas, in 1891, and
is a son of W. A. and Orinthla (Adams) Martin. Thus he was constantly broadening
his knowledge and in his studies specialized in industrial chemistry, metallurgy and
similar lines. For a time he taught school at Texarkana and in the high schoal of
Port Smith he became a teacher of chemistry. It was in 1917 that he organized and
promoted the Industrial Laboratories Company of Fort Smith, of which he became



920 CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF ARKANSAS

the president. This company manufactures heavy chemicals and specializes on waste
products. It manufactures sweeping compounds, floor oils, manganese salts, etc.

Mr. Martin does research work in connection with all of Arkansas' natural re-
sources, for the purpose of utilizing the products of the state and all by-products.
He specializes in dust prevention and gravel road building and has been very active
in superintending the roads construction in Arkansas and Oklahoma. He has had
contracts for the building of roads, amounting to iive hundred thousand dollars. He
is still a young man but has already made notable progress and occupies today a
prominent position among the road builders of the southwest. He understands thor-
oughly all the scientific processes and methods which lie back of his manufacturing
and building interests and his progressiveness has brought him prominently to the
fore in these connections. He has now combined his various interests under one
head and is doing business under the name of Otto V. Martin Industries, of Fort
Smith, Arkansas.

During the period of the World war Mr. Martin served on the war industries
board and was engaged in experimentation with poisonous, gases. He is ever loyal
to all interests calculated to benefit the country at large or to advance the wonderful
development of the southwest and he has made for himself a most creditable position
in the commercial circles of Fort Smith.



SIDNEY YANCEY WEST.



Sidney Yancey West, a cotton merchant of Little Rock, prominent as a represen-
tative of the industry in the southwest, his position in trade circles being indicated
in the fact that he was elected to the presidency of the Little Rock Cotton Exchange
in 1920, has throughout his entire career manifested those sterling qualities of industry,
perseverance and sound judgment which constitute the basic element not only of
individual prosperity but of public benefit as well.

Mr. West was born on a farm in Holmes county, Mississippi, July 6, 1885, and is a
son of Benjamin G. and Mary (Crump) West. The father's birth occurred in Oxford,
Mississippi, in 1855, while the mother was born in Holly Springs, that state, in 1864,
They were married at the latter place in 1882 and 1891 they removed from the farm
in Holmes county to the city of Memphis. On coming to Arkansas they settled in
Pulaski county and through the intervening period to the present time Benjamin
G. West has been identified with agricultural pursuits in this state. His political
endorsement has always been given to the democratic party. He and his wife have two
sons and three daughters and the family circle still remains unbroken by the hind
of death.

Sidney Yancey West was but six years of age when his parents removed to
Memphis and there in the public schools he acquired his education. In later years
he has learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience. Moreover, from
the faithful performance of each day's duties he has found strength and encourage-
ment for the labors of the succeeding day, and step by step he has advanced, each
forward step bringing him a broader outlook and wider chance for the attainment
of the goal of success. For twenty-one years he has been connected with the cotton
trade and is today conducting a large and profitable business as a cotton merchant.
He has studied closely every phase of the business, so that his labors have at all
times been directed with a sound judgment which insures the accumulation of a com-
petence. That his colleagues and contemporaries in this field have faith in his busi-
ness wisdom is indicated in the fact of his election to the presidency of the Little
Rock Cotton Exchange in 1920. He was president of the Pine Bluff Cotton Exchange
in 1913; treasurer of the World's Cotton Conference in New Orleans in 1919; Arkansas
delegate to the World's Cotton Conference, Liverpool, England, in 1921; a member of
the executive committee. World's Cotton Conference in 1919 and 1921; and a member
of the committee of cotton exporters to work out details of the war finance corpora-
tion in 1921.

Since attaining accountable age duty has ever been the watchword of Sidney
Y. West and when he felt that his country needed his military aid he entered the
Officers Training Camp at Plattsburg, New York, in July, 1916, remaining there for
thirty days. He then returned to Little Rock and after a thorough study of condi-
tions he finally joined up with the adjutant general of the United States army, be-
coming civilian aide to Adjutant General McCain, serving from May, 1917, until January
1, 1919.

Mr. West is an Episcopalian in religious faith and a democrat in his political
views. He belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is prominently




SIDNEY Y. WEST



CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF ARKANSAS 923

known in club circles not only in Little Rock but in other cities as well, having mem-
bership in the Country Club, the Little Rock Athletic Association, the Lakeside Coun-
try Club, the Memphis Country Club of Memphis, Tennessee, the Rotary Club of
Little Rock and the Wamsutta Club of New Bedford. Massachusetts. His social quali-
ties make for popularity wherever he is known, and his circle of friends is almost
coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.



ALBERT SIDNEY GOODWIN.

Albert Sidney Goodwin, a native son of Arkansas and a representative of one
of the pioneer families of the state, is well known in financial circles of Hot Springs
as cashier of the Security Bank and is making a most creditable record in the office
by the prompt and faithful manner in which he is discharging his duties. He was
born near Batesville, in Independence county, Arkansas, on the 27th of August, 1877,
a son of Hezekiah H. and Mary E. (Pope) Goodwin, the former of whom was also
a native of that section of the state, while the latter was born in Dalton, Georgia.
The paternal grandfather, Overton P. Goodwin, was a native of Virginia and con-
tinued a resident of that state until 1836, when he came to Arkansas, casting in his
lot with its pioneer settlers.

In the acquirement of an education Albert S. Goodwin attended the grammar and
high schools of Batesville, Arkansas, and afterward turned his attention to educa-
tional work, teaching in the rural schools of that vicinity for about three years. He
then went to Little Rock, Arkansas, and during the fall of 1901 was employed in a
clerical capacity in the Nelson Morris packing house. He next went to Jonesboro,
Arkansas, where he entered financial circles, becoming a clerk in the Bank of Jones-
boro. His next removal took him to Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where he was given
charge of the commercial department of the Ouachita Baptist College, and tor about
two years was thus engaged. On the 13th of July, 1904, he came to Hot Springs as
bookkeeper for the Security Bank and his conscientious and efficient discharge of his
duties in that connection won for him merited promotion until in 1908 he occupied
the position of assistant cashier, while on the 18th of August, 1920, he was advanced
to the cashiership, in which capacity he is now serving. The complex problems of
banking are thoroughly familiar to him, tor comprehensive study and broad expe-
rience have acquainted him with the various phases of the business, and through
able and systematic work he has been largely instrumental in promoting the growth
and success of the institution.

On the 16th of August, 1904, Mr. Goodwin was united in marriage to Miss Eflie
Sims, a daughter of Robert C. Sims, now deceased, who became one of the successful
planters of Independence county, this state. To this union four children have been
born: Mary Frances, Alberta, Ernestine and Virginia.

Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin and two of their daughters are members of the Baptist
church and his political allegiance is given to the democratic party, while fraternally
he is connected with the Masons, holding membership in Sumpter Lodge, No. 419,
F. & A. M., of Hot Springs; Hot Springs Chapter, No. 47, Royal Arch Masons; Hot
Springs Commandery, No. 5, Knights Templar; Sahara Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of
Pine Bluff. His business career has been marked by continuous advancement and
he has labored effectively to broaden the scope of the institution with which he is
connected. His success has been the result of intense application, ceaseless watchful-
ness of opportunity, unwavering courage and a readiness to assume responsibility.
As a business man his standing is of the highest and in all matters of citizenship his
influence is on the side of progress and improvement.



JOHN K. MOOSE, D. D. S.



Dr. John K. Moose has for the past seventeen years been actively engaged in
the practice of dentistry in Gentry, where he is the only representative of his pro-
fession and has most satisfactorily met the demands made upon him in this connection.
He is a native of Taylorsville, North Carolina, and a son of David W. and Sophia
(Kivett) Moose, who were also born in that state. Representatives of the family
removed from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, where the birth of Anthony Moose, the
paternal grandfather of Dr. Moose, likewise occurred. The maternal grandfather,
John Kivett, spent his entire life in Randolph county. North Carolina. David W.
Moose, the father of John K. Moose, successfully followed farming and carpentering



924 CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF ARKANSAS

throughout his active business career. His sympathies were with the Union cause
during the period of hostilities between the north and the south, but he did not join
the army, doing duty with the Home Guards. His political allegiance was given to
the republican party, while his religious faith was indicated by his membership in
the Baptist church, to which his wife also belonged. It was in North Carolina that
he wedded Miss Sophia Kivett and both died in Alexander county, that state. Their
family numbered nine children, seven of whom still survive.

John K. Moose, the third in order of birth in his father's household, supplemented
his preliminary education by a course of study in the United Baptist Institute at
Taylorsville, North Carolina, and subsequently pursued a course in dentistry at Knox-
ville, Tennessee, where he was graduated with the degree of D. D. S. in 1891. His
first professional work was done in Georgia, whence he afterward returned to Alexander
county, North Carolina, there continuing in practice for a decade. The year 1904
witnessed his arrival in Gentry, Arkansas, where he has remained throughout the
intervening period of seventeen years and where his time has been busily occupied,
as he is the only dentist in the town. This fact alone is unmistakable proof of his
professional ability. He displays marked skill in handling the multitudinous delicate
little instruments which constitute a part of the equipment of the modern dental
practitioner and possesses most thorough knowledge concerning the care and preser-
vation of the teeth.

In 1SS2 Dr. Moose was united in marriage to Miss Georgia Cushing, a native of
Georgia, and they have become parents of the following children: Paul, who is em-
ployed by the Eastman Kodak Company in San Francisco, California; Kivett, who is
deceased; Estell D., who is engaged in the oil business at Granger, Texas; Edgar T.,
who resides at Drumright, Oklahoma, and is also engaged In the oil business; Alma,
a student in the Baptist College at Grand Island, Nebraska; and Georgia, who is
a milliner and resides at home.

In politics Dr. Moose is a stalwart republican. He has served as alderman for
several terms and has twice been elected mayor of Gentry, giving to the city a most
businesslike and progressive administration characterized by many needed reforms
and improvements. He acted as food administrator of his town and township during
the period of the World war and while still a resident of North Carolina filled the
position of postmaster at Lenoir under President McKinley. Both he and his wife
are devoted and consistent members of the Missionary Baptist church, while fra-
ternally he is identified with the Masons, now serving as secretary of the blue lodge.
Gardening affords him needed recreation and he has also been a contributor to the
local press, in which connection he has gained wide popularity as a writer of humorous
articles. He was also the originator of a local organization in Gentry called the Sun-
shine Dodgers and in fact has long been recognized as one of the leading and valued
residents of the town.



CHARLES GREEN COLQUITT.

Charles Green Colquitt, mayor of Magnolia, was born in Columbia county on the
1st of April, 1876, a son of John C. and Sarah Louisa (Gladney) Colquitt, both of
whom are deceased. John C. Colquitt was born in Georgia and came to this state
in 1869. For some time he engaged in farming and in conducting a mercantile busi-
ness and he achieved substantial success in both connections. In 1885 he represented
Columbia county in the state legislature and was speaker of the house in 1895. He
was in the auditor's office of the state for twelve years. In Columbia county on the
28th of August, 1870, was celebrated the marriage of John C. Colquitt to Miss Sarah
Louisa Gladney. She was born and reared in Columbia county, her parents having
come here from Tennessee, in 1845. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Colquitt six children
were born, Charles Green, whose name initiates this review being the third in order of
birth. All of the children are living. Mr. Colquitt died at his home in Magnolia, in
1913, when sixty-seven years of age. Mrs. Colquitt's demise occurred in Magnolia in
1908.

Charles Green Colquitt was educated in the Magnolia public schools and took
an academic course, which was equivalent to two years in college. Subsequently he
enrolled in the school of commerce in the University of Kentucky at Lexington, and
was graduated from that institution with the class of 1899. He. then became active
in the cotton business as an employe of Ardis Company, Ltd. His conscientious per-
formance of every duty assigned him soon won him promotion and in 1909 he was
made manager of that concern, his headquarters being in Shreveport, Louisiana. In
1912 he severed his relations with that company and until 1914 traveled for the



CENTENNIAL HISTORY OP ARKANSAS 925

Crunden-Martin Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, his territory covering
the state of Mississippi. In 1915 he returned to Magnolia as a representative of the
Lesser-Goldman Cotton Company of St. Louis, and was active in that connection until
May, 1921. In 1920 Mr. Colquitt was elected mayor of Magnolia and his administra-
tion is being marked by prosperity and a general development and improvement in
the welfare of the community. He has extensive interests, being a stockholder in
the Columbia County Bank and in the Consumers Ice & Light Company.

On the 18th of December, 1905, occurred the marriage of Mr. Colquitt to Miss
Robbie May Colquitt, a daughter of Robert Colquitt of Shreveport, Louisiana. The
ceremony was performed at Austin, Texas. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Colquitt
two children have been born: Robert, who is thirteen years of age and a student
in the grammar school here; and Charles G., Jr., ten years of age, who is likewise
a student in the grammar school.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. South,
and they are generous contributors to its support. Mr. Colquitt holds membership
in the Traveling Men's Protective Association. He is justly accorded a place among
the prominent and representative citizens of Magnolia, for he belongs to that class
of men whose enterprising spirit Is used not alone for their own benefit but also
advances the general good and promotes public prosperity.



SIMEON J. HESTERLY, M. D.

The medical profession in Arkansas finds a worthy representative in Dr. Simeon
J. Hesterly, who has been practicing in Prescott for twenty-four years. He was born
in Magnolia, this state, on the 19th of September, 1863, a son of Francis B. and Mary A. '
Hesterly, both natives of Georgia. Their marriage was celebrated in that state and
they resided there until the outbreak of the Civil war, in 1S61, when they came to
Arkansas. For a short time they stopped in Magnolia, Columbia county, but later
removed to Nevada county, where Mr. Hesterly purchased a farm. He was actively
engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1893, when he retired and moved into Prescott,
where his death occurred five years later.

In the acquirement of an education Simeon J. Hesterly attended the public schools
of Prescott and in due time became a student in the Tom Allen high school, gradu-
ating therefrom with the class of 1884. After putting his textbooks aside he engaged
in farming with his father and was active in that association until 1888, when he
took up the study of medicine, reading under the preceptorship of Dr. A. Harris, a
well known physician and surgeon of Prescott. In 1889 and 1890 he attended a course
of lectures at the old Memphis Hospital Medical College, now the medical department
of the University of Tennessee, and subsequently he went to Pine Bluff, where he
began the practice of his profession. In 1896 he was graduated from the Memphis
Hospital Medical College, remaining in Pine Bluff for the remainder of that year,
but on the 1st of January, 1897, he came to Prescott, where he has since practiced.
A professional partnership was formed in 1919, when Dr. Hesterly's son. Dr. J. B.
Hesterly, further mention of whom is made on another page of this work, became
associated with his father in the practice of his profession and they have gained wide
recognition, not only from the general public but also among their professional brethren.
The senior Dr. Hesterly has remained a constant student of his chosen profession and
has taken several postgraduate courses since locating in Prescott. In 1900 he attended
the Chicago Post Graduate School and in 1912 he took postgraduate work at the New
York Polyclinic. He again attended the Chicago Post Graduate School in 1915. Aside
from his professional interests. Dr. Hesterly is vice president of the Bank of Prescott
and he is an equal partner with his son, Francis B., in the Hesterly Drug Store here.

On the 27th of March. 1885, occurred the marriage of Dr. Hesterly to Miss Sarah
M. Gibson, a native of Nevada county, and to their union five children have been
born: Francis B., who is conducting the Hesterly Drug Store in Prescott; Bertha A.,
the wife of G. R. Scott, assistant cashier of the Bank of Prescott; Dr. Jacob B., physi-
cian and surgeon of this city; Beulah E., the wife of 0. G. Stephenson of Prescott;
and Ernest, who is in his junior year at the Prescott high school. The religious faith
of the family is that of the Missionary Baptist church and Dr. Hesterly has been a
deacon in the church for many years.

Fraternally Dr. Hesterly is identified with the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons,
holding membership in Prescott Lodge, No. 80, and he is likewise a member of the
Knights of Pythias. Along strictly professional lines he is identified with the American
Medical Association; the Tri State Medical Association, comprising the states of
Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas; the Southern R-iilroad Surgeons Association; the



926 CENTENNIAL. HISTORY OF ARKANSAS

Southern Medical Association; the Arkansas State Medical Society; and the Nevada
County Medical Society. Dr. Hesterly has ever held to high Ideals in his profes-
sional service, has utilized every opportunity to promote his knowledge and thus
advance his efficiency and has the tact and ready sympathy which enables him to
understand the mental as well as the physical condition of his patients. The con-
sensus of public opinion places him among the representative practitioners of southern
Arkansas.



JACOB B. HESTERLY, M. D.

Prescott numbers among her native sens Dr. Jacob B. Hesterly, whose birth
occurred on the 13th of November, 1S92, a son of Dr. Simeon J. and Mary M. (Gibson)
Hesterly, further mention of whom is made on another page of this work.

Jacob B. Hesterly received his early education in the public schools of Prescott
and later entered Ouachita College at Arkadelphia. Subsequently, determining to
follow in his father's footsteps, he enrolled in the medical department of the University
of Arkansas and received the M. D. degree in 1915. During the following year he
was an interne in the City Hospital at Little Rock and on the 2d of June, 1917, putting
all personal interests aside, he enlisted in the United States army for service in the
World war. He was assigned to the medical department laboratory division and sta-
tioned at New York city, where he remained until he received his honorable discharge
on the 19th of June, 1919. He then returned to Prescott and began the practice of
his profession in association with his father.

In 1917 Dr. Hesterly was married to Miss Rene Elizabeth Smith, a daughter of
C. H. Smith, president of the First State Bank at Prescott. Mrs. Hesterly is prominent
in the cUib and social circles of this community.

Along strictly professional lines Dr. Hesterly holds membership in the American
Medical Association; the Association of Military Surgeons; the Arkansas State Medical
Society and the Nevada County Medical Society. Fraternally he is a member of Chi
Zeta Chi, a national college fraternity. Dr. Hesterly is a consistent member of the
Baptist church, while his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. South.
They have many friends in this community who have known them since childhood
and they are ranked among Prescott's substantial and representative citizens. Dr.
Hesterly is meeting with the most gratifying success in the practice of his profession
and owing to his skill, both as a surgeon and physician, he is acquiring far more
than a local reputation.



P. R. WATKINS, M. D.

Dr. P. R. Watkins, who is rendering signal service to his fellowmen through his
capability in the practice of medicine and surgery at Mena, was born in Collinsville,
Alabama, March 13, 1866. He is a son of General Pinkney and Caroline (Siniard)
Watkins and a grandson of Green Watkins, who was born in Georgia but became a
pioneer settler of Alabama, whence in 1860 he removed to Arkansas, his death occurring
near Pine Bluff. He was a farmer, devoting his life to agricultural pursuits. He
married a -Miss Tidmore and their son, General Pinkney Watkins, was born near
Gadsden, Alabama, in 1838. In his native state he married Caroline Siniard, who
was born in Collinsville, Alabama, in 1842. General Watkins was a school teacher
and farmer and for many years he served as justice of the peace. He was a well
informed man for his day, being a great reader and thus keeping in touch with the
trend of modern thought and progress. In politics he was a republican and at the
time of the Civil war he strongly advocated the Union cause. The Confederate gov-
ernment, however, forced him to enter the army. He soon deserted and joined the
Union forces and while not a soldier he did work for the army and remained with
the Boys in Blue until the close of hostilities. In the tall of 1867 he removed to
Arkansas, settling in the northern part of the state and subsequently took up his
abode in Washington county, Arkansas, where he remained for five years. He after-
ward spent a year in Logan county and thence went to Scott county, his death occurring
in 1901 near Mansfield, where he owned a small farm. For a considerable period he



Online LibraryDallas T. (Dallas Tabor) HerndonCentennial history of Arkansas → online text (page 151 of 186)