Dublin (N.H.).

The history of Dublin, N.H. online

. (page 1 of 43)
Online LibraryDublin (N.H.)The history of Dublin, N.H. → online text (page 1 of 43)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


^mm^^^^'^'-





t^^-^r>> t^y (J cjj^^tiyAj^L^^



THE



HISTORY OF DUBLII, N.H..



CONTAINING THE




ADDRESS BY CHARLES MASON,



|mccebiitgs at ll;e €mkmml €tfetirHfioii,



June 17, 1852;



A REGISTER OF FAMILIES.






BOSTON:

PRINTED BY JOHN WILSON AND SON,

22, School Street.

1855.






Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1855
BY LEVI W. LEONARD,
In the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the District of New Uampshi;



Q .i^>.



U H :)



P E E F A C E.



It has become quite common at the present day, especially in New
England, to publish histories of towns. The practice is a good
one. The traditions of past events are always fading from the
memories of successive generations ; and, unless they are written
and printed, many of them will be lost beyond recovery. It hap-
pens already that the existing inhabitants of towns, the histories of
which have not been published, are but slightly acquainted with
the events that moved the hearts, and aroused the energies, of their
progenitors. This has been made very evident in our case by
many unsuccessful attempts to obtain information in reference to
the early history of Dublin. Passing events have so absorbed
interest and attention, that the transactions of former times —
transactions, too, which have made or marred their own fortunes —
have received little or no consideration. The aged, it is true, are
apt to dwell upon the past ; while the young look intently to the
future, speculating more upon what will be than upon what has
been. But the history of the past, even in a small town, contains
lessons from which those who now live, even the young, may learn
wisdom for the futui-e. Many instructors of youth have urged the
importance of beginning the study of geography with that of their
own town. If they are right, then the same may be urged, to
some extent, with regard to history, which, if thus begun, cannot
fail to have in the minds of the young a more living reality.



To some persons it may seem a work of little labor to prepare
a history of a small, retired country town, whose existence dates
back only one hundred years. To others it may seem to be a
labor not worth the pains. The Committee of Publication are
experimentally certain that what they have done with regard to
the preparation of the " History of Dublin " has cost them no small
amount of labor. Of what value the result of their labor may
prove to be must be left to the judgments of those who read the
book. These judgments will be various. Some persons will not
find in it what they looked for, and others will find what they did
not look for. Both may feel disappointment, and perchance find
fault. To the native-born citizens of Dublin, whether resident or
emigrant, we trust the book will not be wholly without interest.

It was not the design of the Publishing Committee at first to
make so large a book. The printing of the Address, with the
Proceedings of the Centennial Celebration, and some documents
alluded to in the Address, was all that was contemplated. But, on
further consideration, they concluded to add other matter, which
could not properly be comprehended in an address on a public
occasion. Some repetition of facts stated in the Address were
introduced, in order to keep up a connection in the matter added,
and to avoid too frequent reference. Although a large portion of
the additions are rather materials for a history than a history itself,
yet, in connection with the Address and the Proceedings of the
Centennial Celebration, we trust the book will be found to contain
a tolerably complete history of the town from its first settlement to
the present time.

The Registers of Families occupy more space than was at first
apprehended. In order to make them uniform, it was found neces-
sary to recopy the whole number furnished. Many of them, how-
ever, were gathered from the recollections of individuals, and from
the scanty and imperfect records of the town-clerks who held the
office previous to 1820. As these Registers are principally made
up of names and dates, no one should be surprised if numerous
errors are discovered. Frequently, the Registers handed to the
Committee diifered as to dates from the town-records. It was not
in our power, in most instances of this kind, to determine which



PREFACE, ^ V

were correct. Sometimes one Kegister was found to be inconsistent
with another, which gave dates respecting the same person. In
such cases, we occasionally discovered, as we believed, the true
date ; and this will account for the variations from the original
copies, which the persons who furnished them may perhaps regard
as errors. Of the soldiers of the Revolution, we have inserted
nearly in full all the notices that were received. The living resi-
dents of Dublin are left to the future historian. The names of
those who have held offices in town will be found under their
appropriate heads in the course of the history. If the Register of
any family is omitted, it is because none was received, or could be
gathered from any accessible sources of information.

To the persons who have aided us in collecting materials for this
book, we tender our thanks. We offer it to the town, which has
taken the responsibility of its publication, as the best we could
prepare during the time we were employed upon it. Taking all
circumstances into consideration, we do not feel that there has been
any needless delay. A copy of the Address was not received till
nearly a year after its delivery. Sickness in the family of the
Chairman of the Committee, and his residence, most of the time,
during the last year and a half, in another town, have also contri-
buted to hinder the progress of the work. The map which we
prefix to the book is believed to be as correct as could be made
without an accurate and expensive survey by measurement of the
whole town. Many parts of it were drawn from actual measure-
ment ; and its errors, if any shall be discovered, will be found to
be less numerous, we think, than in most other town-maps.

The portraits, with the exceptions hereafter mentioned, were
furnished by the persons whom they represent, or by their friends.
The plates for the porti-aits of Samuel Appleton and Dr. Twitchell
were kindly furnished, for the taking of impressions from them ; the
first by Mrs. Appleton, and the second by Dr. G. W. Twitchell.
The plate for the porti-ait of L. W. Leonard was the same that
was procured by his friends in 1850. The portrait of Mr. Sprague
was lithographed from the original painting by Belknap.

Mr. Lawson Belknap, a member of the Committee of Publica-
tion, died Oct. 3, 1853. He was active and earnest in his efforts



VI PREFACE.

to collect information respecting the history of Dublin, his native
town. Had he lived, he would have afforded us much aid in
preparing the Eegister of Families, which were not begun to be
collected till after his death.

The Chairman of the Committee of Publication may here be
permitted to say, that he is not responsible for the insertion of
the laudatory remarks respecting himself, contained in some of the
addresses made at the Centennial Celebration. Over this portion
of the book he had no control. He could not, with propriety,
either erase or modify what the gentlemen thought fit to offer for
publication.

The names on the list of emigrants from Dublin, collected and
arranged by Mr. Fisk, a member of the Committee of Publication,
have been added in the belief that to many persons it will be grati-
fying to have old friends and fellow-townsmen thus brought to their
recollection. Though some of them removed from town before
most of the persons now living here were born, we cannot think
that their nkmes will be read with entire indifference ; for they once
had their home here, and many of them strove with their fellOw-
townsmen to promote the common welfare. A large portion of
them are no longer alive; but their children, in many instances,
survive, and have doubtless heard from the lips of their parents
some account of their temporary sojourn in Dublin. Though they
never saw our hills and valleys, nor the faces of those who now
dwell here, yet they cannot but feel some interest in the town from
which their fathers and mothers emigrated. The list is a long one ;
and it shows that, though the town has not increased in population
of late years, yet Dublin has furnished a large number of persons
for the settlement of new states, and for the cities and manufac-
turing villages of New England.

With regard to the spelling of names, there will not be found a
uniformity in all parts of the book. The records and papers used
as sources of information exhibited no little variety in this respect.
The same name was, in many cases, variously spelled ; and our
copy was often conformed to the original documents.



CONTENTS.



PAGE.

Address by Charles Mason . 3
Proceedings of Centennial

Celebration 49

History of Dublin, Situa-
tion, &c 117

Dublin under the Masonian

Proprietors 124

Names of Proprietors . . . 128

Incorporation of Dublin . . 139

Invoice of 1771 142

Warnings out of Town . . 144
Revolutionary War . . . 148
Eccleslastical History . . 152
Second Congregational So-
ciety . . .■ 182

The Baptist Church . . . 190

Sacred Music, &c 196

New Meeting Houses . . . 201
Population at different Pe-
riods 208

Census of the United States 209
Summary of Census .... 220
Political and Municipal His-
tory 222

Town Officers 229

Votes for Chief Magistrate 235

Valuation, Taxes .... 237



PAGE.

Surplus Revenue .... 242

Pauperism 242

School AND Ministerial Funds 243

Post Office, Mail Stage . . 245

Schools and School-houses . 246

View of School-house No. 1 252

Inspection of Schools , . . 254

School Committee .... 255

Appleton Fund 259

Libraries 261

Graduates of Colleges . . 264

Physicians 264

Sickness, Mortality . . . 265

Temperance Reformation. . 268

Altemont Lodge 270

Merchants or Traders . . 271

Mechanics 272

Manufactures, &c 273

Military Affairs .... 277

Hardships of Early Settlers 279

Anecdotes 281

Fatal Casualties 286

Justices of the Peace . . . 287

Miscellaneous Items . . . 288

Occupants of Lots .... 291

Register op Families . . . 309

Emigrants 424



LOCATION OF ENGRAVINGS AND LITHOGRAPHS.



Map.

De. Twitchell .... facing titlepage.

Charles Mason 3

JoNATH-iN K. Smith 54

Dr. Ebenezer Morse 61

Samuel Appleton 88

Daniel Elliot 105

Rev. E. Sprague 162

Ret. L. W. Leonard 180

Solomon Piper 199

Old Church on the Hill . . . 205

New Conqeegational Church . . 207

RuFUS Piper 23.3



Isaac Appleton 313

Aaron Appleton 314

John Bixby 318

John Crombie, Jun 326

A. H. FisK 336

WiLLLAM Greenwood 344

Ebenezer Greenwood 346

James Hatward 352

Moses Marshall 362

Thaddeus p. Mason 366

Cyrus Piper 383

John Piper 384

Charles Whittemore 412



ADDRESS

BY CHARLES MASON.




'^. a.<^Z^^



^S.



^ (Z^S^^-i-r-z^



ADDRESS



Whether a particular settlement were made within the
limits of this town or of that, or when made, or by whom,
are questions which, in themselves, may be of little moment.
But from our habits of viewing things, and from the relation
in wliich we stand to them, matters of this kind sometimes
assume a grave significance, and become invested with a
peculiar interest. "We are accustomed, for some purposes,
to consider a given portion of territory, or period of time, as
detached from the rest, and possessed in itself of the attri-
butes of unity and completeness. Thus, we are used to look
upon our native town as a separate domain, having a history
of its own, constituting a distinct chapter, — a chapter, too,
of deep and absorbing interest to us, however obscure and
unimportant the place it may hold in the annals of the world
at large. In the same way, we attach a like idea to a speci-
fied measure of duration, — to a year or a century ; which,
when we have once fixed the beginning and the end, wears
a seeming of entirety, — becomes something that we can con-
template as one ; as though it were a piece clipped from the
web of time, and submitted, as an isolated, tangible reality,
to our deliberate inspection.

We are assembled today upon the Hundredth Anniversary
of the settlement of this town. We stand upon the confines
of two mighty conventional tracts of time, — uj)on that nai'-



4fc CENTENNIAL ADDRESS.

row belt, the living present, which divides the dead, receding
past, from the new-born, advancing century. We are the
remnant, shattered and scanty, of the generations which the
first centenary of its inhabited existence has gathered within
the borders of our town, — the balance, which, in the final
closing up of its own affairs, it now transfers to the account
of its successor.

It is fitting in us to commemorate an event which natu-
rally carries back our thoughts to the time when the history
of the town, as the abode of civilized man, takes its date ;
when the first hardy adventurer dared to brave the toils and
hardships and privations of a wilderness-life, and the sounds
of human labor were, for the first time, heard in the depths
of the primeval forest, where before silence reigned, and
nature slept, undisturbed save by the voice of the thunder,
the roar of winds, and the wild beasts' howl. And it well
becomes us to trace and contemplate the course of events, as,
from that primal day, tlu'ough the long progress of a hundred
years, it has swept adown the stream of time.

In performing the duty which, by the kindness of the
committee, has been assigned to me, I shall endeavor to
bring to view such incidents in our local history as seem to
be of most interest and importance. There are no extraor-
dinary events to be recounted. Nothing of a very remark-
able character has ever taken place in the town. With the
exception of a single individual (Dr. Amos Twitchell), who
attained to eminence in his profession as a surgeon, it has
produced no men particularly distinguished for talents or
learning or enterprise, or any other of the qualities or pos-
sessions which go to make up vulgar greatness.

Neither would we regard it as an especial calamity, that
we have in our history so little that is allied to fame. It is
but the common lot of humanity. As it is of familiar, every-
day incidents, mainly, that the texture of life is woven ; so, of
the grand aggregate of human existence, by far the greater,
and, in that view, the more important part, is lived and suf-
fered and enjoyed by humble mediocrity.



CENTENNIAL ADDRESS. 5

We claim, then, for ourselves but to be mere common
liuman people ; and as such, we are here today. We are
assembled as townsmen, kindred, friends, for our own proper
satisfaction and purposes. Dealing with common, homely
materials, I shall pretend to nothing beyond treating them
in corresponding style. I shall undertake neither to philo-
sophize upon facts, nor to expatiate upon fancies.

The tract of land, constituting the town of Dublin, was
originally granted, by the proprietors of land purchased of
John Tufton Mason, to Matthew Thornton and thirty -nine
others named in the grant. These forty grantees resided in
different towns, mostly in the middle and eastern parts of
.New Hampsliire. None of them, it is presumed, ever be-
came settlers in the township. The deed of grant, which
bears date, November S, 1749, was given by Col. Joseph
Blanchard, of Dunstable, pursuant, as the recital states, to
the power vested in him by the proprietors, by a vote passed
at a meeting held at Portsmouth, in June preceding. Tliis
grant, embracing a territory of thirty-five square miles, —
being seven miles in length and five in breadth, — was made
upon certain conditions, of which the most important were
the following : —

The whole tract of land was to be divided into seventy-
one equal shares, each share to contain three lots, equitably
coupled together, and to be drawn for, at Dunstable, on or
before the first day of July, 1750.

Three shares were to be appropriated, free of all charge,
" one for the first settled minister in the town, one for the
support of the ministry, and one for the school there, for
ever ; " and one lot of each of these three shares was to be
first laid out, near the middle of the town, in the most con-
venient place, and lots coupled to them, so as not to be
drawn for.

The lots were to be laid out at the expense of the grantees,
and within four years from the date of the grant, forty of the
shares, or rights, as they were called, were to be entered upon,



6 CENTENNIAL ADDRESS.

and three acres of land, at the least, cleared, inclosed and
fitted np for mowmg or tillage ; and, within six months then
next, there was to be, on each of these forty settling shares,
a house built, the room sixteen feet square, at the least, fitted
and fui-nished for comfortable dwelling, and some person
resident in it, and to continue inhabitancy there for three
years, with the additional improvement of two acres a year
for each settler.

A good, convenient meeting-house was to be built, as near
the centre of the town as might be with convenience, within
six years from the date of the grant, and ten acres reserved
there for public use.

All white-pine trees, fit for masting his majesty's royal
navy, were granted to him and his heirs and successors for
ever.

There was a proviso, that, in case of any Indian war hap-
pening within any of the terms and limitations for doing
the duty conditioned in the grant, the same time should be
allowed for the respective matters after such impediment
should be removed.

The township was accordingly divided into lots, making
ten ranges running through it from east to west, with twenty-
two lots in each range, or two hundred and twenty lots in
all. The lots varied considerably, especially in length. They
were drawn for on the first Tuesday of June, 1750. The
seventy-one shares, of three lots each, would, of course, leave
seven lots undrawn. Some of these, though not all, were
upon the Monadnock.

The terms of settlement and the like, imposed by the grant,
cannot have been complied with, to the extent specified, till
certainly more than ten years later than the times prescribed.
Whether the grantors dispensed with the conditions as to
time, on the score of Indian wars apprehended, or for any
other cause tacitly waived those conditions, or whether they
granted an extension of the times, does not appear.

Of the first settlement of the town, but little is known with
accuracy or certainty. The first settler was "William Thornton,



CENTENNIAL ADDRESS. 7

who established himself where Mr. Isaac Appleton now lives,
probably in the year 1752. His daughter, Molly Thornton,
it is said, was the first child born in the township. He
remained but a few years, — it is not known how long, —
when he abandoned his settlement, it is supposed through
fear of the Indians, and never returned. He was a brother
of Matthew Thornton, who was the first named, as he was
by far the most distinguished, of the proprietors of the town-
ship, and was much the largest landowner in it ; having, at
one time, it would appear, twenty-eight shares, or eighty-four
lots. Matthew Thornton was born in Ireland. He was a
physician, and settled first at Londonderry, but afterwards
resided in Merrimack. He was a colonel of militia, a delegate
to the Continental Congress, and a signer of the Declaration
of Independence. He was also a Judge of the Superior Court
of New Hampshire, and was, in short, one of the leading
men of the State.

The settlers who next came into the township were Scotch-
Irish, as they were called, being the descendants of Scotch
people who had settled in the north of Ireland, whence they
came to this country, and established themselves at London-
derry and elsewhere, and, at a later date, settled in Peter-
borough and numerous other towns. As early as 1760, or
thereabouts, there were in the town, of this description of
persons, John Alexander ; William McNee ; Alexander Scott,
and William Scott, his son ; James Taggart, and his son,
William Taggart ; and perhaps others. They came mostly
from Peterborough. Henry Strongman came at a later day.
With the exception of him, none of this class of settlers
became permanent inhabitants of the township. They left
probably at different times, but all prior to the year 1771, as
none of them are found upon the tax-list of that year. Most
or all of them returned to Peterborough. This WiUiam
Scott is the same Captain William Scott, of Peterborough,
who, in his youth, served in the French War, and who
signalized himself by gallant achievements during the war
of the Revolution, and by no less heroic deeds in scenes of



8 CENTENNIAL ADDRESS.

danger afterwards. He is said to have settled, when in
Dublin, on the lot where Mr. John Gleason now lives.

As early as 1762, several of the settlers from Sherborn,
Mass., were in the township, and worked upon the roads.
Probably none of them established themselves here that year.
During the next two years, several became permanent inhab-
itants. Among the earliest settlers were Thomas Morse,
Levi Partridge, William Greenwood, Samuel Twitchell,
Joseph Twitchell, Jr., Ivory Perry, Benjamin Mason, Moses
Adams, Silas Stone and Eli Morse.

Of the first settlers, Captain Thomas Morse appears to
have been the leading man. He was doubtless the oldest
person in the settlement, being sixty -three or sixty-four years
of age when he came to reside here. He was a man of
stability and force of character, and, it is said, of remarkable
shrewdness. Withal, he was ardently attached to the cause
of liberty. He was the first captain of the earliest military
company in the town. His commission bore date June 2,
1774.

It would seem that a road was opened through the town-
ship as early certainly as 1762, as in the record of a meeting
of the proprietors, held in November of that year, '^the
main road through the town" is spoken of; and a committee
was, at that same meeting, appointed to lay out from it a road
" from near the centre to the south part of the town, and
another from the centre to the north-west part of the town,
where the settlers are beginning," with authority to " employ
proper help to open and clear the same, so that it be feasible
travelling." The sum of ten pounds, old tenor, was assessed
upon each right (of which there were fifty), in the township,
liable to the payment of taxes, to be expended upon the
roads. As may well be imagined, the roads in those times
were of the most rude and primitive description ; being, in
fact, little more than openings cut through the dense, con-
tinuous woods, with some shght demonstration towards a
partial removal of the rocks, logs and stumps, and levelling
of the grosser inequalities of the surface.



CENTENNIAL ADDRESS. 9

At a meeting of the proprietors, held Feb. 14, 1764, a
committee was chosen " to agree with some person to build
a bridge over the Mill Brook (so called), the east side of the
town, and also a bridge over the Half-way Brook, by Thomas
Morse's, by letting out the same to be done by the great ;
and, if that cannot be 'done, to employ suitable persons by
the day, and bring in their accounts."

The two meetings of the proprietors already mentioned
were held at Dunstable. In September, 1764, their first
meeting in the township was held at the house of WilHam
Greenwood. Eli Morse was chosen proprietors' clerk ; and
he continued to hold the office ever after, and left a record,
which is still preserved, of the doings at their meetings. At
this first meeting, it was voted, that six hundred pounds, old
tenor, be raised upon the rights subject to taxation ; four
hundred pounds to be laid out on the main road and bridges,
and the remainder "to be given for the encouragement of
the person who shall erect a saw-mill in the town." It is
presumed that Eli Morse built the first saw-mill in the town,
and received this encouragement money.

In May, 1766, one dollar on each right, making fifty
dollars, was voted "for encouragement to Eli Morse for
building a grist-mill on the stream near his house, provided
he shall get it completed in a year and a half from this time."
It is likely that he complied with the condition, and that his
grist-mill was the earliest erected in the township. Samuel
Twitchell's mill is mentioned in the record of the meeting
of Dec. 22, 1768. At this time, a road was granted from
Moses Adams's to William Beal's, in the north-west part of



Online LibraryDublin (N.H.)The history of Dublin, N.H. → online text (page 1 of 43)