Dublin) Trinity College (Dublin.

A catalogue of graduates who have proceeded to degrees in the University of Dublin, from the earliest recorded commencements to July, 1866: with supplement to December l6, l868 online

. (page 6 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the reversal of his sentence. The House of Commons and the
Government lost no time in showing their strong feelings against
him, and alarmed by such opposition he probably found it neces-
sary to quit the country.

One good came out of the evil. The House of Commons,
to mark their approbation of the conduct of the College, and the
steady adherence of its members to " the late happy revolution,"
voted an address to the Queen, asking for a grant of money to
assist in erecting a pubKc Library in the College, according to
the beautiful plan of Sir William Chambers. We find the follow-
ing minute in the Commons' Journals,^ scarcely a year after the
expulsion of Forbes : —

University, and of Incorporation into appears that there were then separate

the College of such as are sent thence Registers, for the College and for the

to the school, lod." Again, under University.

the date of March 18, 1 689, we have " In the old Senior Lecturer's Book,

this order : — " Decretum est a Prae- his entrance is not recorded. He

posito et Sociis Senioribus ut haec probably came originally from a

censura publicis CoUegii foribus affi- Scotch University.

gatur, et in registrum tam Academic >' Quoted also in University Ca-

quam Collegii referatur." Hence it lendar for 1869 (Benefactors, p. 317).



INTRODUCTION. Hii

" Mercurii i die Junii, 1709, a motion being made that this House would
become suitors to her Majesty to extend her royal bounty to the Provost,
Fellows, and Scholars of Trinity College, near Dublin, to enable them to
erect a Library in said College : —

" Resolved, That this House — taking into consideration the proceedings
of the University of Trinity College, near Dublin, in censuring Edward Forbes
by degradation and expulsion for speaking dishonourably of, and aspersing
the memory of his late Majesty King "William the Third ; and also the steady
adherence of the Provost, Fellows, and Scholars of said College to the late
happy Revolution, her present Majesty's Government, and the succession to
the Throne as by law established, for the encouragement of good literature
and sound Revolution principles — do address his Excellency the Lord Lieu-
tenant that he will lay before her Majesty the humble desire of this House,
that five thousand pounds be bestowed by her Majesty on the Provost, Fel-
lows, and Scholars of Trinity College, near Dublin, for erecting a pubUc
Library in said College."

It is curious that this resolution was near causing a misunder-
standing between the Lords and the Commons.*

Dr. Miller, although he speaks of the Senior Master Non-
Regent as "a mere fiction," gives us a curious instance of the ex-
ercise of his veto, and of its influence upon the Vice- Chancellor.
It was at the Summer Commencements of 1793. An Act of Par-
liament had just been passed, enacting that from and after the
first day of June, in that year, it shall not be necessary for any
person, upon taking any Degree, to make or subscribe any de-
claration, or to take any oath, save the oaths of allegiance and
of abjuration ; and on the ist of March following, the King issued
Letters Patent repealing anything in the Statutes of the College,
or of the University, which stood in the way of Roman Catho-
lics being admitted as students, or taking Degrees. The Vice-
Chancellor'^ seems to have overlooked these provisions, and pro-

' See Rapin's Hist, of England, tutes of the College and of the Uni-

edit. Tindall, vol. iv., p. 215. versity, as to enable them to enter

•" It is a question whether the Vice- and take Degrees." But this was

Chancellor was not right; for the not done until March i, 1794. The

Act of Parliament had only relieved University, therefore, was not bound

Roman Catholics, "in case his Majesty to omit the old oath, until the King

shall be pleased so to alter the Sta- had altered the Statutes.



liv INTRODUCTION.

ceeded to have the oaths administered as usual, but was inter-
rupted by the veto of the Senior Master Non-Regent. Dr. Miller's
narrative is as follows : —

" It may be useful to remark, that the Senior Non-Regent, though an offi-
cer unknown to the Charters and authentic Statutes, and a mere fiction,
created in the vain attempt to reconcile institutions essentially incongruous,
has not been a mere inactive pageant, filling up the ceremonial of a public
Commencement, without asserting the prerogative with which he was invested
by these supposed Statutes.

" In the Commencement, held in the month of July in the year 179.3,, this
officer came into direct collision with the Vice- Chancellor, the late Earl of
Clare, who, after some consideration, gave way, and consented that the Com-
mencement should proceed in the manner required by the Senior Non-Regent.
The question, about which this struggle occurred, was whether persons, pro-
fessing the Roman Catholic religion, should be permitted to graduate in the
University. Before this time many individuals, known to be of the Roman
Catholic persuasion, had been permitted to pass through the preparatory
course of education, but one of the oaths, required of candidates for degrees,
and a declaration to be at the same time subscribed, had presented insuper-
able obstacles to their graduation.

"In the Session of the year 1793, an Act of Parliament was passed for
the relief of persons professing the Roman Catholic religion, and by the 13th
section it was enacted that the impediments which had hindered them from
being educated in the University, so far as they had been created by Statute
law, should cease on the first day of June in the same year. The oath and
declaration had both been prescribed by an Act of Parliament, passed in the
year 1692, but it appears from the supposed Statutes of the University that
the oath had been adopted at the Commencement in the month of February
in the preceding year, in consequence of a resolution of the Academic Senate.
The oath was therefore considered as partly supported by a Statute of the
University, the declaration* as resting wholly on the authority of an Act of
Parliament.

" Accordingly at the Commencement, held in the month of July in the
year 1793, when the oaths had been administered, and the Senior Proctor
was beginning to recite the declaration, the Senior Non -Regent declared that
if the Vice- Chancellor should persist in requiring that this declaration, which
appeared to have been abrogated by an Act of Parliament, should then be

* By "The Declaration" Dr. Miller Degrees, Feh. 8, 1691, Univ. Stat, -p.

means the Declaration against Transuh- 157 (1791). Comp. 3 "Will. & Mary,

stantiation, &c., adopted hy the Univer- cap. 2, iy,ffl,, extended to Ireland 21 &

sity and enjoined upon all Candidates for 22 Geo. III., c. 48, sect. 3.



INTRODUCTION. Iv

made and subscribed, he would exercise the authority of his station, by
suspending the Commencement, an act which he was able to perform by
merely refusing his consent to each degree. The Act of Parliament was ex-
press and unequivocal, and the Vice-Chancellor could not refuse to acknow-
ledge the authority of the Senior Non-Regent, because itwas clearly established
by the same supposed Statutes under which he was then holding the Com-
mencement.' The opposition of the Senior Non-Regent was therefore suc-
cessful ; the declaration was then withdrawn, and at the ensuing Commence-
ment the oath of abjuration was adopted, agreeably to the Act of Parliament,
in the place of one of those which had been previously administered."

Dr. Miller does not tell us who the Senior Master Non-
Regent on this occasion was. But it is very well known in
the University that this strong-minded Master, who believed
himself to be "a fiction," and yet compelled the Vice-Chancellor
to succumb to his threatened veto, was no other than Dr. Miller
himself.

It will be unnecessary to give any account here of the present
state of the laws of the University upon the subjects we have
been discussing ; almost all the questions, formerly at issue, are
now set at rest by the Charters of Queen Victoria. The Senate,''
although not the University, are now a corporation. The Provost
and Senior Fellows, with the consent of the Senate, can now
alter, repeal, add to, and enact University Statutes. There is

' It maybe added that the Let- coequalauthority. TheUniversitySta-

ters Patent (34Geo.III.), distinctly tutes are cited by their ordinary title: —

admit the validity of the Statutes "Statuta,Regul8eseuConsuetudines;"

that Dr. Miller delights to call '■^sup- so there can be no doubt what Sta-

posed Statutes." The King's words tutes are meant. They are therefore

are: — "Quaedam in Statutis Colle- either sanctioned by the Crown, or

gii, et in Statutis Academiae Dubli- they are not. If they are, why does

niensis ita immutare .... prsestitis Dr. Miller call them supposed Sta-

prius omnibus exercitiis per leges et tutes ? If they are only supposed

consuetudines Academiae requisitis, Statutes, why was it necessary to call

aliquo statuto dicti CoUegii, aut Statu- in the Royal authority to repeal them ?

to,Regula, autConsuetudinequacum- •> That is the Vice-Chancellor,

que dictae Academiae, in contrarium Doctors, and Masters. The Provost

non obstante." Here the " supposed " and Senior Fellows, being all Doctors

University Statutes are recognized or Masters, are of course included,
along with the College Statutes as of



Ivi INTRODUCTION.

no longer any such question as that raised by Dr. Miller in re-
ference to the validity of those Statutes, or in regard to the
distinct existence of the College and the University.

A very clear and concise history of the different Char-
ters and Statutes, in chronological order, will be found in the
Introduction to the University Calendar of 1 869, including the
Letters Patent of Queen Victoria, January 31, 1855 (18 Vict.),
amending the Statutes of Charles I., those of July 24, 1857,
(21 Vict.), incorporating the Senate; the Letter of December,
1858 (22 Vict.), for foundation of Studentships, and other de-
tails; the Decree of nth December, 1858, containing Amend-
ments of the University Statutes, made by the Provost and Senior
Fellows, with consent of the Senate, in pursuance of Letters Pa-
tent, 21 Vict. : with supplemental enactments, Dec. 10, 1859,
and July 18, i860. These later Charters and Decrees, from
1855 to i860, exhibit the present state of the University Sta-
tutes, with the manner and conditions upon which Degrees are
conferred.*

Allusions have been made in the foregoing pages^ to the
existence, for a short time, of Colleges or Halls, in the Univer-
sity, and some have supposed that the phrase " Mater Universi-
tatis," in the Charter of Elizabeth, indicated the establishment
of Halls or Colleges as necessary to complete the idea of an
University.'^ This, I trust, has been shown not to be the true
signification of the phrase in question.

There is, however, a difficulty as to the mention in the Sta-
tutes of Temple of these new foundations, inasmuch as they were
not in existence (with the exception of the unfinished Bridewell,

" All othei' particulars, Terms tatis as not inconsistent with a single

and Exercises, Standing required, College. " Quod ad Prasposituram

and Fees payable for Degrees, will CoUegii attinet ; Cum Collegium hoc

be found in the University Calendar. sit Mater Universitatis et unicum

^ See p. XXXV, note b. istius regni." This is given as the

" The following words of the Sta- reason why the Crown reserves in

tutes of Charles I. (cap. 25), seem to future the nomination of the Provost

speak of the words Mater Universi- to itself.



INTRODUCTION. Ivii

or Trinity Hall), until after Temple's death, in Jan. 162^. This
difficulty is easily explained. The portion of these Statutes,
which are in Temple's hand, ends with chap. 11 ; chapters 12,
13, 14, 15, and 16, are in another hand, and chap. 17, in a third
hand, with the exception of the last paragraph, which is in
Bedell's hand, and is intended to give the Vice-Provost, in the
absence of the Provost, the same veto in the Caput which the
Provost would have had, were he present.*

It is in these additional Statutes, not written in Temple's
hand, and evidently added after his death, that the allusion to
additional Colleges in the University occurs, and I shall now
give a brief account of the origin of those Colleges, or rather
Halls, and the causes of their extinction, after a brief existence.

It was in January i6of, that a petition'' was presented to the
Mayor and Corporation of Dublin, asking for a piece of ground
on Hoggin Green,*^ sufficient for building thereon a Bridewell ;
the petitioners thus state their object: — " Divers well disposed
persons considering the multitude of sundry sorts of poor, many
of them able bodied, and most resorting out of the country, who
to the great disgrace of this worthy city, and now the endanger-

* This statute is signed by" Guiliel. of Dublin, \o\. m.^ y>. i). A Monas-

Bedell, Pragpositus," [sworn Provost, tery for Canonesses of the Order of

Aug. 15, 1627,] "Joh. Floyd," Joh. St. Augustine was erected here, in

Johnson, Edw. Parry, Thos. Temple, 1 146, byDerniaidMac Murrough, i. e.

Natha. Linch, Joseph [Travers]. MacMurchadha(orsonof Murchadh)

■^ The petitioners were Dr. Challo- O'Cavanagh, Kingof Leinster, which,

ner, Sir John King, Mr. James Ware De Burgo says, occupied the site

(father of Sir James, the historian), where the widows' alms house stood in

Sir James Carroll (afterwards Mayor, 1762, in Hogges Hill, or Hog Hill,

161 2, for his father). now St. Andrew's- street {Hibern. Du-

" A considerable village, called minic. p. 735). This abbey was dedi-

Hoggis, or Le Hogges, occupied the cated to the B. V. Mary, under the

ground now known as "College name of St, Mary de Hogges, and

Green." Its exact boundary is not the religious of this house are called

ascertained, but it seems to have ex- in some mediaeval Latin documents

tended beyond St. Andrew's Church " Moniales S. Marise juxta Hogas,"

into Exchequer-street (Gilbert, Hist. or " Hoggas" (Butler, Hegist. Prio-



INTRODUCTION.



ino- of divers by contagion,^ do abound among us, do willingly
resolve to bestow the building of a place for a Bridewell or
House of Labour and Correction, for the redressing of this enor-
mity."

From this statement of the object of the Petitioners, it will
be seen, that this project was not at first directly connected in
any way with the University, or with an educational College.

The City received the proposal favourably, and on 27th Jan.
i6of agreed (William Gough, Mayor,) to grant an estate in fee
simple under their seal, to six persons (three to be named by
the Mayor in the behalf of the City, and three by the Petitioners),



ratus Omnium 88., p. 21, No. xlii.),
which gives a clue to the true meaning
of the name, for we can only regard
the popular appellation of " Hoggen
Green," given to what is now College
Green, as a corruption. Archdall is
o^ oymion (Monast. Hibern., p. 172),
that the name Hogges is from the
Irish word Og, a virgin, and so was
later than the foundation of the abbey;
but there are many objections to this
etymology. There can be little doubt
that Mr. Gilbert {loc. cit.) has given
the true origin of the word, when he
derives it from Hoga (German hoch,
Engl, high), a hill, a mound, a grave,
or sepulchre, and this is confirmed
by the word being commonly used in
the plural. These mounds, or bar-
rows, were evidently pagan (Gilbert,
loc cz7., pp. I, 2),andthegreatTAewg'-
mote, or mound of meeting of the
Norsemen, was in the neighbour-
hood. St. Andrew's Church was
called S. Andreas de Thengmote
(Butler, JRegistr. Omnium Sanctorum,
pp. 26, 118). Comp. Haliday, On
the name of Dublin, (Trans, of R. I.



Acad., vol. xxii.). See an account
of the position of Hoggin Green, in
reference to the Priory of All Saints,
in the " Charter of the Citty to the
Colledge (34 Eliz.)."— Butler, Re-
gistr., p. 94, No. vii. In the Book
of Obits of Chr. Church, p. 16, we
have the obit of " Domina Matylda,
abbettissa de Hoggys," and p. 54, of
" Domina Alicia Bron, monialis de
Hoggys." The last local vestige that
survived of the ancient Hogges was
Hog Hill, now St. Andrew's-street.
It continued to be known as Hog's
Hill to about 1772, (Gilbert, Hist,
of Dublin, vol. iii., pp. 318, 19),
and was the residence of the celebrat-
ed John Philpott Curran, " during the
early gloomy days of his professional
career" (Gilbert, ibid.).

* The beginning of the reign of
James I. was remarkable for the
prevalence of famines and pestilence
in various districts throughout the

country See Census of Ireland,

(Table of Cosmical Phenomena, p.
106, by Sir W. R. Wilde).



INTRODUCTION. lix

of SO much land of " the Hogging Green" as shall be thought
convenient by the Mayor and three City Trustees, " that the
same be converted to a place of punishment of oifenders, and
putting idle persons on work, to be named by the name of a
Bridewell, and that the same orders, constitutions, and laws
shall be established by order of the assembly, and executed in
the same place, at the charge and maintenance of the city, as
are ordained, constituted, and used in Bridewell in London."

And that the same House should continue and not be con-
verted to any other use, it was agreed by a clause of proviso
"that if by any default of the Corporation, the House (after the
Petitioners have finished the building), shall be converted to any
other use than for a Bridewell, or place of punishment, as afore-
said, then the Feoffees, their heirs and assigns, shall stand seised
of the said House, &c., for the use of the Petitioners, their heirs
and assigns, until such time as the same shall be re-established as
a Bridewell, in form aforesaid, and no longer." Vacancies
among the Feoffees, if more than two, were to be filled up by
the survivors, who were to convey the property, with the same
trusts and provisos, to six sufficient persons — three to be nomi-
nated by the Mayor for the time being, and three by the Peti-
tioners, or their heirs. This was finally agreed to, and the Cor-
poration seal affixed, 27th Jan. i6o|.

Difficulties, however, seem to have arisen with George
Breddam, the person employed to build the Bridewell, who
appears to have carried on the work so far as to have ren-
dered the house habitable, and to have lived in it himself. Then
it turned out that money was not forthcoming, and the death of
Dr. Challoner, 27th April, 1613, brought matters to a point.
Breddam appealed to the Privy Council, who appointed two
Commissioners^ Samuel Molineux, and Jacob Newman, who re-
ported (8th February, 16 if), that Breddam should be allowed
£40 English, the whole of his claim, on the condition that he
delivers the House complete, tiled, " furnished as now it is, with
wainscot, doors, &c., which will be some additional expense to
him."



Ix INTRODUCTION.

In October, 1616, the Mayor and Sir James Ware, being
now appointed Commissioners to value the House, reported
that Breddam was willing to take £30 in lieu of all claims ; but
neither the Corporation, nor the representatives of the original
Petitioners, were disposed to pay this sum ; whereupon, on
December ii, 1616, the Lord Deputy offered the Bridewell to
the Provost, Fellows, and Scholars of Trinity College for
£30. This offer being accepted, the Corporation conveyed the
house, and the parcel of ground appertaining, to the Pro-
vost and Fellows, with permission to convert it into a Col-
lege Hall, or free school. It is probable that soon after this
the name of Trinity Hall began to be given to it. The Mayor
and Sir James Ware reported that they had found the House
" much decayed at this present," and as George Breddam still
continued to dwell in it, without any covenant as to the duration
of his tenancy, or, as far as appears, under any rent, it was some
time before it came into actual possession of the College.

The remaining history of Trinity Hall is thus given in the
College records : — " Before the late warrs" [this was probably
written about 1662] " the said College employed the said Hall to
the entertainment of certain Students ; in process of the war,
the said Hall was by poor people occupied, and in a manner
ruinated, the said College being not in a condition to look after
it, or wholly neglecting it ; whereupon the City had thoughts of
reassuming it, because it was not employed to the use intended.
The pretended Provost and Fellows of the said College, having
notice hereof, consulted how to frustrate the design of the City.
Upon this Col. Markham, and Dr. John Kerdiffe * move the
said pretended Provost and Fellows for a lease of Trinity Hall,
and the ground thereunto belonging, promising to secure their
title against the City, and to repair the said Hall. This motion
was opposed by Dr. John Stearne, and was quashed by his

» John Kerdiffe was elected a Fel- restored Senior Fellow by Mandamus,

low in 1631, and went out on the 1644 See List of Fellows, Univer-

living of Desertcreat, 1637. He was sity Calendar.



INTRODUCTION. Ixi

alleging and proving that to make a lease of the premises
would be more directly contrary to the intent of the conveyance
of the premises upon the said College than any former, either
inability or neglect, and consequently give greater colour and
advantage to the City to prosecute their design."

In this strait the College were more ready to listen to a propo-
sal, made atfirstto the pretended Provost and Fellows, by Dr. John
Stearne, to the effect that he should be President of Trinity
Hall, for his natural life, on the following conditions: — "that
he should have certain lodgings there ; that he should 'keep out
the City,' and repair the Hall without charge to Trinity College,"
which the College was not at that time able to defray, and to
convert the remainder of the building after retaining lodgings
for himself, to the purposes of Medical Students.

The Puritan Provost and Fellows had agreed to this proposal,
and it was faithfully carried out by Dr. Stearne, who expended
in repairing the Hall more than £ioo of his own money.

On the Restoration, the legal Provost and Fellows renewed
this convenant with Dr. Stearne, adding only these conditions,
that he should endeavour to procure incorporation for a College
of Physicians, and that Trinity College should for ever have the
nomination of the President of the said College of Physicians.*

It appears that in or about 1680 Trinity Hall was restored to
Trinity College. Articles were agreed to, whereby each Col-
lege was bound to the other in £300, for the performance of
the said articles. In 1687, a difference began between Trinity

' See a summary of this deed, dated in the MS., caMed D''0li7i's book, in

Feb. 18, i66a^ in the valuable memoir the possession of the College of Phy-

of Dr. Stearne, by T.W. Belcher, M.D., sicians, the following entry, among

p. 21, Dublin, 1865. The Charter the accounts 1680-1683 :—"De Col-

for the College of Physicians is dated legio Trinitatis juxta Dublin, pro re-

8th Aug., 1667. Before this Patent signatione A ulae Trinitatis £070. 005.

the Society, not yet a Corporation, oorf." This proves that about that

was called the " President and Con- time (1680) Trinity Hall was given

fraternity of Physicians." — Belcher^ s up; and that the surrender realized

Register of the K. ^- Q. Coll. ofPhys.^ for the College of Physicians the sum

Introd-, p. 7. Dr. Belcher has found of £70.



Ixii INTRODUCTION.

College and the College of Physicians, arising from the election
of Dr. Crosbie, who was chosen by the Physicians to be Presi-
dent of their College, but rejected by Trinity College, as dis-
qualified, being a Roman Catholic.

The College of Physicians, upon this, made a proposal
to Trinity College, to cancel by mutual consent the articles
agreed to between the two Colleges in 1680. To this Trinity
College consented, provided the Physicians would deliver up all
papers and documents in their possession, relating to Trinity
Hall, and sign a release from all grants and deeds, made by Tri-
nity College, concerning Trinity Hall. Trinity College also pro-
posed to give a lease of 40 years to the College of Physicians,
on such terms as might be agreed upon. The Hall seems to have
been again given up to Trinity College, in 1692, when the
second Charter of the College of Physicians was obtained.*

The site of Trinity Hall continues to be the property of
Trinity College, who seem to have once more converted it into