Dwight Hall Bruce.

Memorial history of Syracuse, N.Y., from its settlement to the present time online

. (page 81 of 110)
Online LibraryDwight Hall BruceMemorial history of Syracuse, N.Y., from its settlement to the present time → online text (page 81 of 110)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Jacob, jr., were admitted to partnership, under the firm name of Jacob
Amos & Sons. In 1878 they bought the Barker mills in West Water
street, which constitute the present Amos mills, and increased their capacity
to 400 barrels per day, and in 1881 substituted the old four runs of stone with
the best Hungarian roller machinery, necessitating an outlay in both mills
of $7S,ooo. They were the first to adopt this system in this section. Mr.
Amos died in 1883, and his sons continued the milling business as Amos
Brothers till 1887, when Charles L. died, and the firm became and still is
Jacob Amos. The motive power is furnished by two Corliss engines and
four boilers. The total output of the two mills in 1890 was 130,460 bar-
rels of flour, besides a large quantity of farina and mill feed. The value of



Manukacturing Industries. 675

the business that year amounted to over $1,500,000, and sixty people were
given employment.

Hughes Brothers. — This firm (all born in Syracuse) was formed in 1877
b)' the two older brothers, Charles and James Hughes, to which the younger
brother, Kugcne Hughes, was admitted in 18S0. Their father, James
Hughes, founded the business in 1850, where the Phcenix I-'oundry now
stands. He removed to the present location in Gifford street in 1861, and
died in 1869. The yard was rented to other parties till his sons became old
enough to assume its management. Their business has grown steadily till
tliey have become the heaviest operators in Central New York. They built
the Court-House in Scranton, Pa.; the Paulus Church, Sixtieth street. New
York city; numerous locks on the canal ; and the present City Hall. But a
contract they are now engaged in ech'pses all others. They are building in
Chippewa county, Michigan, a lock in the famous Sault Ste. Marie ship canal,
around the rapids in St. Mary's River, that connects Lake Superior with
Lake Huron. The growing importance of this canal, which already does a
third more business in eight months than the great Suez Canal does in a
whole year, demands a larger channel, and the Hughes Brothers, and E. T.
& A. M. Bangs, of Fayettcville, are under contract with the United States
government to have completed within three years a lock 1,200 feet long,
100 feet wide, with side walls 45 feet high, and a water lift of 23 feet, which
reaches the enormous quantity of over 80,000 yards of solid stone, and
costing $1,300,000. When completed it is believed it will be the finest
lock in the world. For several years past their stone quarries at Split
Rock, the Indian Reservation, and Fulton, with their contract work, have
furnished labor for 200 men, and their annual business has exceeded
$300,000.

The Syracuse Nurseries and Stock Farvi. — The Syracuse Nurseries,
Smiths & Powell, proprietors, were established in 1830, by Alanson Thorpe,
and are doubtless the oldest nurseries west of the Hudson River. W. Brown
Smith purchased a half interest in 1845, the firm name becoming Thorpe
& Smith. The nurseries then consisted of about four acres, nearly all apple
trees, and so extensive was this establishment considered at that time that
Mr. Smith's friends endeavored to dissuade him from making the purchase,
for the reason that, in their judgment, such a large quantity of trees could
not be sold in this country. Mr. Smith became sole proprietor by pur-
chase about i860. The business was gradually enlarged and e.xtended, and
at various times new and younger members were added to the firm, the
firm now consisting of W. Brown Smith, Edward A. Powell, Wing R.
Smith, and W. Judson Smith. The greenhouse department and the fine
live stock department were added, until the business assumed its present



6j6 Memorial History ok Syracuse.



large proportions. The area of land now owned by this firm and the vari-
ous members thereof, and kept under a high state of cultivation, is about
1,200 acres, the most of which is located on the west shore of Onondaga
Lake. There are probably 3,000,000 trees and shrubs now growing in these
nurseries. Nearly i ,000,000 stocks are planted each spring. The business
is nearly all wholesale, and the trees are shipped by car-loads to all parts of
the United States. The department of blooded live stock, which was added
about twenty years ago, has gradually increased and developed until the
" Lakeside Stock Farm " is known to breeders of fine stock the world over.
At almost any time within the past few years from 300 to 500 head of pure
bred Holsteiii-Friesian cattle, all recorded, and all black-and-white, could
be seen on tliis farm. It is undoubtedly safe to say that no herd of dairy
cows, either in Europe or America, has ever equalled this in actual pro-
duction of milk and butter, as shown by well authenticated records, and no
other, probably, has so wide a reputation. The horse department consists
of from I 50 to 200 blooded animals, of the various improved breeds of
America and Europe. Shipments of cattle and horses are frequently made
to various foreign countries, including Europe, Canada, Mexico, South
America, Central America, Australia, Japan, etc. The greenhouse de-
partment is carried on under the name of P. R. Quinlan & Co., Mr. Quinlan
having purchased in 1884 a one-half interest and assumed general super-
vision. From a small beginning this branch of business has grown year by
year until its various houses now contain about 40,000 square feet of glass.
The growing of choice roses has been made a prominent feature, and sev-
eral large greenhouses are now entirely devoted to this popular flower.
The Warners Portland Cement Manufacturing Company. — This enter-
prise was organized in December, 1888, and the work of construction was
soon afterward begun. Later the capital stock was increased and the
capacity of the works much enlarged. The works are situated at Warners,
ten miles west of Syracuse, the business office being located in the city.
The output is about 350 barrels per day, and has no superior. It is univer-
sally used by those who understand its qualities, and the demand for it is
constantly increasing. Employment is constantly given to seventy men.
The company is represented in its Board of Directors as follows: W. B.
Cogswell, Hon. George N. Kennedy, John L. King, Frederick D. White,
Edward N. Trump, Henry O'Neil, Edward Joy. Mr. Cogswell is the Presi-
dent; Burnet Forbes, Secretary ; and Frederick D. White, Treasurer. The
process of manufacture with the aid of extensive yet simple machinery,
made expressly for these works, is interesting. There is an abundance of
marl and clay, from which the cement is made, on the land purchased by
the company. This is the most extensive plant of its kind in this country.



Manufacturing Industries. 6^^

It is a somewhat curious fact tiiat Onondaga county once furnished nearly
all the water-lime used in this country, and that now it should be su[iplyin{^
the best cement. The industry is likely to grow into much larger propor-
tions with the constant increase in the demand for the product.

Syracuse llcat and Poivcr Company. — This company is one of those de-
velopments which may be credited to the push and business enterprise of
the community — an enterprise demanding a large investment and sagacious
confidence in the final outcome. The company was organized in 1888, with
a capital of $2O0,OOO and the following incorporators: Wilber S. Peck,
William K. Pierce, E. P. Bates, Edward Joy, Clarence Kellogg, William W.
Cox, and Frank J. Webb. Land was purchased in Pearl street, a large
building erected for boilers, and the plant for 2,500 horse-power jnit in-
Two miles of street mains were laid, and the patronage by power users and
those desiring heat has rapidly increased until now about thirty-five tons of
coal are used daily. The plant is fitted up with everj' modern improve-
ment of value, and is one of the best in the country. The officers of the
company are Wilber S. Peck, President; William K. Pierce, Vice-Presi-
dent ; M. J. Myers, Secretary ; Ira A. Holly, Superintendent.

Petin & Lee. — Carriage springs is one of the important articles of man-
ufacture in Syracuse. In the year 1881 George Penn and Henry M. Lee
entered into partnership for the manufacture of carriage, car, and locomotive
springs, under the firm name of Penn & Lee. They purchased a lot on the
corner of Canal and William streets, and erected a building 316 x 66 feet,
which they still occupy. Only one other establishment of the kind in the
State of New York exceeds this in capacity, while .in the quality of their
product they have no superior; all of their work is tempered in oil and
guaranteed in quality. They give constant employment to 100 nun, and
their annual output is 1,500 tons of manufactured goods. Before he came
to Syracuse Mr. Penn had works of the same character in Bridgeport,
Conn., and Gananoque, Can. An interesting feature of their establishment
is its splendid brass band, which is composed wholly of their employees.
It was organized in 1885, now has twenty-five members, and is under tlie
leadership of Prof Charles I"". Walcott, of Boston. In October, 1889. this
band accompanied the Knights Templar to Washington, and was the escort
of the combined order of this State on that occasion.

Syracuse Specialty Manufacturing Company. — This company was or-
ganized in May, 1889, for the manufacture of hardware specialties in gen-
eral, and especially patent buckles for overshoes, rubber coats, and horse
blankets. The factory is on the corner of West Fayette and Geddes streets,
and about fifty hands are employed. The officers of the company are :
A. R. Dickinson, President and Treasurer; F. C. Howlett, Vice-President;



678 Memorial History of Syracuse.

A. R. Dickinson, E. D. Dickinson, John Dunn, jr., F. C. Hewlett, and John
Nase, Directors.

T. D. Green. — The manufacture of pickles was begun in Syracuse
about 1854 by the late C. C. Loomis, and was conducted by him until
about 1878, when it passed to the control of Thomas D. Green, and he has
ever since carried it on. He now manufactures more than three-fourths of
all the local product. His product has secured such a hold on the markets
that about 400 acres of land are required to grow the raw material, and
employment is given to a large number of people. The prejudice against
commercial pickles has almost disappeared, and the industry is still in its
infancy. The brand adopted by Mr. Green is the " Royal," and it is con-
sidered a guarantee of excellence.

Kemp & Burpee Manufactiiritig Company. — This company was estab-
lished by the present proprietors in 1881, for the manufacture of the Kemp's
patent manure spreader, a device of great utility to farmers, and then the
only one of the kind. In 1891 the company erected a new building on the
corner of West Fayette and South Geddes streets, I20x 56 feet, and three
stories high with basement. Steam-power is used, and a force of thirty
men employed.

Jolin Marsellus Manufacturing Company (Limited). — John Marsellus
came to Syracuse from New York city in 1877, and began the manufacture
of coffins, caskets, and undertakers' supplies at 79 and 81 South Clinton
street. In 1878 Oscar D. Byers, who came from New York with Mr. Mar-
sellus, became a partner, under the firm name of John Marsellus & Co.
A factory was established in 1883 on the corner of Geddes and West Fay-
ette streets, and two years later Charles B. Kiggins purchased an interest
in the business. In 1888 a new brick factory was built, with office and
salesroom, on the corner of Van Rensselaer, Richmond, and Tracy streets,
the building being 60 x 220 feet, four stories high, and the present company
was then organized and incorporated, with John Marsellus, President;
F. S. Wicks, Vice-President; Oscar D. Byers, Secretary; and Charles B.
Kiggins, Treasurer. These executive officers have ever since remained in
charge of their constantly increasing business, and are qualified by a long
experience to fully meet the various demands of the trade. The goods are
sold throughout the States of New York, Pennsylvania, and New England,
and also in Canada. The manufactures of the company include cloth-
covered caskets, robes, wrappers, habits, linings, pillows, embalming tables,
and undertakers' supplies generally, their factory being equipped with all
the modern appliances for the successful and rapid production of these arti-
cles. They also handle a large variety of cabinet hardware and upholstery
goods. It is the only establishment of its kind that has succeeded in Syra-



Manufacturing Industries. 679

cuse. Similar concerns have been started, but owing to lack of necessary
experience, and the fact that the trade cannot be forced, they have proved
disastrous ventures for those who invested their money.

E. J. Eddy. — Mr. Eddy came to Syracuse in 1867 from Pharsaha,
Chenango county, where he was born in 1848. His first employment was
as a clerk, in which capacity he continued four years. In i 87 i lie opeiud
a Iiardware estabhslrment in the First ward. He soon built up a prosper-
ous trade, and won for liimself a prominent place among the substantial
merchants of that part of the city. In 1878 he bought his present site in
North Salina street, and for ten years carried on his business in buildings
then standing. In 1888 he built his brick block, which is 60x80 feet
and five stories high. In 1890 lie bought 1,000 tons of rags, and iiis manu-
facture and sale of tinware has become so extensive that he employs tliirt)-
wagons on the road, ten of which are his own, and the remainder furnished
by tlie drivers. He employs five tinners, twenty-five women, besides his
oflice help and men on the wagons. His business amounted in 1890 to
$100,000. Mr. Eddy was Supervisor of his ward in 1885-86.

A. E. Alvord. — The water-lime and plaster-mills on the corner of Lock
and Catawba streets were built by their present owner, A. Iv Alvord, in 1 884,
who succeeded his father in this business in 1875. Water-Iinic is ground
from stone quarried and burned in Manlius and brought by rail to the mills.
Quick-lime is also burned at Manlius in nine large kilns, which have a ca-
pacity of 600 barrels daily. Stone for land plaster is quarried on Mr.
Alvord's farm in Onondaga Valley, from which about 2,000 tons of plaster
are ground and sold yearly. Two years ago Mr. Alvord expended several
thousand dollars in a plant at his mills for the manufacture of calcine plaster,
or plaster of Paris. This was the introduction of a new industry in Syra-
cuse, and has proven very successful. It is made from the same stone as
the land plaster, and the works have a daily capacity of from 200 to 300
barrels. The quality of this new product is most satisfactory, and orders
already exceed the production. One hundred people are required to oper-
ate the quarries and mills. Mr. Alvord's father, E. B. Alvord, was the pio-
neer in this business in Syracuse. In 1848 he built a lime and plaster-mill
on the corner of Lock and Canal streets, which he operated till 1872 or 1873,
when he converted the building into a packing-house and moved the ma-
chinery for grinding water-lime and i)laster to a new mill in Pearl street,
which was removed to make room for the West Shore Railroad.

The Oitoudagn County Milk Association is a stock company, incorpo-
rated March 21, 187 1, with twenty- four charter members, eighteen of whom
were milk producers and stockholders. The scheme was the invention of
B. Austin Avery, a dairy farmer a few miles north of the city. No sys-



68o Memorial History of Syracuse.

tem had ever been devised which embodied his idea of bringing milk pro-
ducers and milk consumers into mutual relations. The financial results of
twenty years have proved the wisdom of his plans. At the organization
Mr. Avery was chosen President ; James L. Hill, Vice-President and Man-
ager; and Cyrus D. Avery, Secretary and Treasurer. The original capital
stock was $50,000. The old Park Hotel standing on their present site was
rented, horses and wagons were bought, drivers hired, and milk routes
established in the city. Stockholders brought their milk, which was weighed
and credited, put into a common stock, and sold to the best advantage. At
the end of one year 1,505,000 quarts of milk had been sold at a saving of
over one cent per quart to consumers, and at the same time the receipts
had paid the producers more money than they had been able to realize
when each man made his own sales. The Park Hotel property was bought
the second year, and at the end of tlie third year the growing prosperity of
the enterprise demanded more room and better facilities. Experience had
taught just what was wanted, and the present handsome and commodious
building was designed and completed in 1875, at a cost of $17,000. Since
then two lots with dwelling houses in Onondaga street have been purchased
to make room for stables and shops, in which the association keeps its
horses, makes and keeps in repair ail its wagons, and does all necessary
blacksmithing. In the milk trade ice is in constant use, and 1,500 tons are
consumed yearly, all of which is stored on the premises. During 1890 28,-
000 pounds of milk were handled daily. All milk not disposed of before
2 P. M. is made into butter and cottage and factory cheese the same day.
This large quantity of milk is obtained of stockholders, and of those who
rent stock, and so are entitled to the co-operative benefits. Two years ago
the association began making ice cream, selling since that time from 75
to 100 gallons per day. In June, 1890, lunch parlors were fitted up, and
this branch of the business has become very popular. A large boiler
and a twenty- horse- power engine furnish the motive power, and hot water
and steam for general uses. In 1891 4,550,368 quarts of milk were han-
dled, netting the milk producers two and three-fourths cents per quart.
The year's business amounted $136,812.92, to do which required forty
horses, twenty- five wagons, and forty-three people. The stock has been
increa.scd to $100,000, of which $63,450 has been paid in, and the property
is valued at $100,000. The Presidents succeeding B. Austin Avery have
been John Wells, Hiram Kingsley, and George C. Gere. Cyrus D. Avery,
the first Secretary and Treasurer, was succeeded in a few months by Irani C.
Reed, who was also made General Manager, which positions he has held for
the past twenty years. The officers of the association, with six others, con-
stitute a Board of Trustees as follows : George C. Gere, President ; J. C.




^. ',J^^iU)^y



7/



'/ -



Hotels. 68 1

Miinro, Vice-President; Iiam C. Reed, Secretary, Treasurer, and General
Manager; J. S. Jerome, John Wells, George Geddes, V. S. Knapp. P. P. Mid-
ler, and H. F. Scott.

HOTELS.

T/ie Globe Hotel was erected in 1846 and 1847 ^Y Henry Stevens, and
inimediately opened as a temperance house. Two years later it was given
up, and the next landlord was William Winton, who was followed by Win-
ton & Butler. This firm conducted the house till 1854, when they were
succeeded by Ira Garrison, who ran it about ten years, and sold to Austin
& Dickinson, under whose manas^cment the corner facing Washington and
Salina streets was remodeled and the west portion of the hotel built.
Messrs. Austin & Dickinson were succeeded by E. D. Dickinson, and he by
Dickinson & Austin, and later the firm of Dickinson, Austin & Bacon be-
came proprietors. A. R. Dickinson was their successor. The firm of Dick-
inson, Bacon & Ellis was then formed and assumed control, and continued
in that capacity till Mr. Dickinson withdrew, and the proprietorship passed
into the hands of Bacon & Ellis, the present landlords The Globe is one
of the best appointed hostelries in Central New York. It is conveniently
located, substantially built, and a general favorite with the traveling [)ublic.

The Vande7-hilt House was built in 1867 by John L. Cook & Son, who
opened it in 1868, and kept it for ten or twelve years, when Oliver \\. Allen
became the proprietor. He was succeeded two or three years later by P. B.
Brayton, who sold to G. W. Day, and he to George W. Taylor. In the
spring of 1891 Mr. Taylor disposed of his interest to J. H Fife, of New \'ork
city, the present proprietor. In compliment to its name Commodore Van-
derbilt presented this house with an excellent oil painting of himself, which
has been admired by thousands of guests. During their bridal trip the
Commodore and his second wife spent a night here. The hotel justly en-
joys the reputation of being first-class in all respects. In 1879 Daniel Can-
dee, Horace Candee, and the estate of Earll B. Alvord bought and still own
this valuable property.

The Empire House was constructed in 1844-45 by John L. Tomlinson,
a son-in-law of James L. Voorhees, of Lysander. Mr. Tomlinson lived in a
house where the County Clerk's office now stands, and he owned the whole
block except the Onondaga Hotel and one dwelling house. He was killed
by the cars at Little Falls in 1848, and the property soon after was bought
by James L. Voorhees, who traded that part on which the Court- House now
stands for the old court-house lot between Syracuse and Salina. The new
owner called it the Voorhees House. A few years later it came into the
possession of Horace and Hamilton White, and is now owned by Horace
m



682 Memorial History of Syracuse.

K. and F. D. White. The Empire House was opened in the fall of 1845 t>y
Mr. Miller as a temperance house. He remained one year. The succes-
sion of landlords since then has been Captain Joel Cody, Philo N Rust,
Mr. and Mrs. Barent Filkins, Barney Becker, Lucius Wright, Sprague &
Gage, Mrs. Gage, Hose Rockwell & Carpenter, Mr. Carpenter, Mr. Patten,
Mr. Satterlee, and C. E. Talbot & Co., the present occupants. The name
of the hotel was ciianijed from the Voorhecs House to the I'-mpire while
Sprague & Gage were in it. The Empire is one of the largest hotels in
Syracuse, and contains a spacious hall in which almost every society and
organization in this State, and some national organizations, have repeatedly
held annual meetings.

Hotel Burns. — About 1870 I'eter Burns bought the block now known
as the Hotel Burns, on the corner of West Fayette and South Clinton
streets. A hotel had been kept in it for many years by Hutchinson, I'Last-
man, and others. Mr. Burns remodeled the building, and leased it to
Elias T. Talbot, who opened and kept a first-class temperance house for
eleven years, when he leased his interest in it to Oscar L. Brownell. Mr.
Talbot again assumed the management, and was succeeded in 1888 by the
present proprietors, Messrs. Townsend Brothers. The hotel still belongs to
Mr. Burns, and has always been kept as a temperance house.

Congress Hall, located on the corner of West Washington and South
Franklin streets, was erected about 1876 by Jacob Crouse, and opened the
following year by Copley A. Nott, who has ever since conducted the house
with great credit to both himself and Syracuse. In 188S his son, Claude R.,
was given an interest under the firm name of C. A. Nott & Son. The build-
ing is five stories high, is located near the principal railroad depots of the
city, and is altogether a most admirably appointed house.

Hotel Caudee. — In 1864 Charles E. Candee opened the eastern half of
the present Hotel Candee, formerly known as the Brintnall Hotel. Two
years later he sold to Wagner & Sweatland. Mr. Sweatland soon after sold
his interest to Horace B. Castle, and Mr. Wagner sold to Jerome Vromati,
who in turn sold to Mr. ]5e!den, and he to Mr, Hiscock. The latter dis-
posed of his interest to James H. Burke, and 1869 Mr. Candee repurchased
the house and has been its proprietor ever since. In 1887 he leased the
upper part of the old Talbot House, extending to the corner of I-'ayette and
Warren streets, thus giving him 150 rooms Mr. Candee is the oldest con-
tinuous hotel-keeper in Syracuse. In 1882 he was elected Alderman of the
Sixth ward, and has by successive re-elections held that office ever since.

The Jervis House, corner of East h'ayette and Mulberry streets, was built
in 1854 by Harvey Sheldon and Charles A. Wheaton. The block was sold
to the old -Syracuse City Bank, antl afterward [)urchased by General William



Reminiscences. 683



J. Hough. It was first known as the Sheldon RIock, and for many years the
upper part was rented by Mr. Coblcigh, of R



Online LibraryDwight Hall BruceMemorial history of Syracuse, N.Y., from its settlement to the present time → online text (page 81 of 110)