Edwin Orin Wood.

History of Genesee county Michigan; her people, industries and institutions, with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of many of the old families online

. (page 29 of 89)
Online LibraryEdwin Orin WoodHistory of Genesee county Michigan; her people, industries and institutions, with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of many of the old families → online text (page 29 of 89)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Ella (Wilcox) Ball, natives of Langston, and to this union three chil-
dren have been born, Laura, Mable and Edna, all in school. Doctor Davis is
a Republican and is active and influential in the alifairs of that party. He
has several times been a delegate from his county to the state conventions of
his party and has been elected to several town and township offices. Vnv the
past four \ears he has served as trustee of the village of Flushing. He is a
member of the Masonic lodge at Mushing.



CHARLES CALVL\ LUCE.

Charles Calvin Luce, a well-known and successful farmer, was born one
mile east of Flushing on January 5, 1878, the son of Calvin W. and Florence
(Sutton) Luce, both of whom were natives of Michigan. Calvin W. Luce
was born in Hillsdale county on October 7, 1846. His very early life was
spent there, but his mother died when he was but a child, and his father,
owing to ill health was compelled to return to the state of New York. Young
Calvin was bound out until he was twenty-one years of age and was brought
to Genesee county, where he grew to manhood. On reaching his majority,
he began work for himself, with the farmers of the county. He later bought
a farm, on which he lived for some )ears. He then worked on farms for
others before he purchased the farm east of Flushing, where he made his
home until his death on September 6, 191 2. He was a stanch Republican
and he and his wife were active workers in the Methodist Episcopal church.
Fraternally, he was a member of the Maccabees.

Florence Sutton was born in Flushing township on March 28, 1850. It
was there that he received her education and grew to womanhood and was
later married to Calvin W. Luce. To Calvin and Florence (Sutton) Luce
were i)orn the following children: Ira, a farmer of Mt. Morris township;



278 GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN.

Jennie, the wife of O. Eugene Soper, of Mt. Morris township: Clarence, a
fanner of Flushing township, and Charles C.

Charles C. Luce received his education in the schools of Mt. Morris
township and in the high school at Mt. Morris. After completing his school-
ing he remained at home until 1 898, when he worked on farms for others for
a number of years. He then returned to the home place which he worked
with his brother, Clarence, for one year. He then was engaged by the
Standard Oil Company at Mt. Morris for some time, but owing to sickness
was compelled to resign his position. He then went to the home of his
father and later worked by the day for one summer. In the winter he re-
:turned to Mt. Morris where he was engaged l)y Christopher Green to drive
a dray team. In the spring he returned to the home farm and worked for
his father for one year.

On October 29, 1902, Charles C. Luce was married to Florence A.
Bump, who was born on November 2, 1877, in Flushing township, daughter
of Henry and Delecto (Richardson) Bump, and to this union four children
have been born, namely : Gladys, born on January 22, 1904 ; Harold W., June
7, 1909; Hazel Delecto, August 19, 1910, and Rena May, June 19, 1912.

After his marriage, Charles C. Luce rented his father's farm for three
years, and in connection with that he also cultivated an adjoining farm. He
then, in 1905, bought the farm of eighty acres in section 23, where he now
lives and where he is engaged in general farming and stock raising. He
also buys many cattle to feed and raises and feeds quite a bunch of hogs each
year. The farm is well improved, the improvements including a large barn
and silo.

Politically, Mr. Luce is a Republican and, fraternally, he is a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Luce and his family are
active members of the Methodist Episcopal church.



WALTER C. BAILEY



It matters little what vocation a man may select as his life occupation
as long as it is an honorable one. Certainly no calling is more honorable than
that of farming — the most ancient of man's varied lines of work. Walter
C. Bailey, of Monroe township, is one of Genesee county's energetic farmers.
He was born in Niagara county, New York, October 12, 1874, and is a son
of Nathaniel and Sarah L. (Layland) Bailey. The father was born in



GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN. 279

\erinoiit, June 3, 1847. He worked at farming until the breaking out of
the Civil War, when he enlisted in a Vermont infantr)- regiment in which
he served for some time, then moved to the state of New York and enlisted
a second time, in Company F, Eighth New York Heavy Artillery, and served
until the close of the war, taking part in many important engagements. He
was honorably discharged, after which he returned to New York and bought
a small farm, and there married his first wife, Caroline Lay land. He con-
tinued to live on his farm there until the death of his wife, then came to
Michigan and settled in Mt. Morris township, Genesee county, where he
married Sarah L. Wayland. A year later he returned to the state of New
York where he spent five years, then removed to Russell, Kansas, where he
spent one year, then went back to New York for three years, after which
he returned to this county and settled in Mt. Morris township. Three years
later, in 1886, he moved to Montrose township, buying forty acres on which
he spent the rest of his life, dying on April 4, 1907, at the age of sixty years.
He was a Republican and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
His last wife was born on March 6, 1854, probably in the state of New
York, and when young came with her sister to Michigan. Her death occurred
on August 28, 1914, at the age of sixty years. Two children were born to
Nathaniel Bailey and his first wife, Nellie, who married Joseph Love, and
Hiram. Three children were born by his second wife, Walter C, the sub-
ject of this sketch; Edward and Frank.

Walter C. Bailey wsa educated in the public schools. He worked out by
the month when a young man, finally buying forty acres in Montrose town-
ship, where he was living when he married Ella M. Carpenter on March 18,
1899. She was born in Mt. Morris township, this county, June 3, 1878, and
is a daughter of Henry and Lillian (McDowell) Carpenter, the former of
whom was a successful farmer. His famih^ consisted of seven children,
those besides Mrs. Bailey being as follow : Maggie, who is the wife of
Frank Donnelly; Elmer, who is employed in the government mint at Wash-
ington, D. C, a twin brother of Edbert, who lives in Flint; Esther, the wife
of E. J. Cuddeback, of Owosso; Claude, who married Florence Leyrer and
is living on the old homestead, and Murel, the wife of J. C. Cuddeback, of
Flushing. To Mr. and Mrs. Bailey four children have been born, namely;
Earl, born on January 4, 1900; Carl, January 27, 1901 ; Archie, January 30,
1904, and Beatrice, May 2^, 1909.

After his marriage, Mr. Bailey continued to live on his farm for four
years, then sold out and bought forty acres, later buying fifty acres adjoin-
ing. In 191 5 he bought the old homestead of forty acres and is now oper-



280 GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN.

ating unt luindred and tliirty acres, all under cultivation. He is raising an
excellent grade of live stock, including thoroughbred Holstein cattle. He
Ijuilt a good house in 191 1, which he recently remodeled. Politically, Mr
Bailey is a Republican. He ser\etl as township treasurer in 1909 and 1910.
He has also served as township constable, as justice of the peace and as
treasurer of his school district, giving eminent satisfaction in all these jxisi-
tions of public trust. He is a Ro\'al Arch Mason, a member of the blue lodge
and the chapter at Montrose, and is also a memljer of the (ileaners.



FR.WK C. HITCHCOCK.

Frank C. Hitchcock, a well-known and progressive merchant of Genesee,
this county, dealer in general hardware, implements, builders" supplies and
the like, is a native son of Michigan and has li\ed in this state all his life.
He was born in the cit\- of Saginaw, in the neighboring county of that name,
June 12, 1869, son of Henrv .\. and Catherine ( Macy ) Hitchcock, the former
a native of (^hio and the latter of Michigan, for many years well-known
residents of (ienesee to\A'nshi]_), this count}-, where the former i'; still living.

Henrv .\. Hitchcock was born on a farm in Lorain county, Ohio, in
August, 1841, and was but a youth when his parents, Samuel and Phoebe
( White 1 Hitchcock, the latter of whom was a direct descendant of Peregrine
White, came to Michigan and settled in Genesee township, this county.
Samuel Hitchcock was a blacksmith and started the first blacksmith shop in
that ])art of th.e county, at I\ears!c\'. where he continued in business for
years and where he spent the rest of his life, a useful and influential pioneer
resident. He organized the first school in Gene.-ee townslii]!. in the Tanner
district, and also organized the lirst Sunday school. Henry .\. Hitchcock
grew to manhood in Genesee township, becoming an expert blacksmith and
mill man. There he married Catherine Macy, who was bom in Lenawee
county, this state, February 22. 1844, 'i"<-l ^^h" was l>ut two or three Acars
of age when her parents, Richard and Catherine (Dallott) Macy, came tc
this countv and settled on a homestead farm in section 24, Genesee town-
ship, where they spent the remainder of their lives. i)rominent pioneer
citizens, .\fter his father's death, Henry .\. Hitchcock went to Saginaw,
wiiere be installed the machinery in R. J. Hennett's first ])laning-mill there.
He remained there as superintendent of \arious millv until ;8,So, when be
ret\irne(l to ( ienesee county, bought a forty-acre farm in section 24 of Gene.-iee




MPi. AND MRS. FItAXK C. HITCHCOCK



GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN. 281

luwnshi]), adjoining that of his wife's old home, and there estahhshed his
liome. He still retained his practical connection with the mills after moving
there, however, and his sons managed the farm, he being thus engaged until
his retirement frum active labor some years ago. He is a member of the
liaptist church, a Republican and a member of the Knights of the Maccabees.
His wife died on April ii, 1915. at the age of seventy-two years. They
were the parents of two children, Samuel, who is living on the old Macy
homestead in section J4, Genesee township, and I'Vank C"., the subject of
this biographical sketch.

Frank C Hitchcock was alxnit eleven years old when his parents
returned to this county from Saginaw, the ])lace of his birth, and he cum-
i.'leted his schooling in the schools of Genesee township, after which he
became engaged in the milling business. He was thus engaged for about
ten years, for two x-ears with the Wright Lumber Gompan\- ; for two \ears
with the G. K. luldy Lumber Gumi)any ; for three }'ears with the Temple-
Lmory Milling Gompany and for some years with the Jackson Manufactur-
ing Company. In the meantime, in 1890, Mr. Hitchcock had married one
of his Genesee county neighbor girls and in 1897 he returned to this county
and opened a blacksmith shop south of the railroad in the village of Gen-
esee. In 1903 he moved that shop to the site now occupied by his hardware
store in the village and opened a store with a small stock of hardware. His
business grew from the very start and presently he erected a new store
JAiilding, moving the old luiilding to the rear, and he since has made other
additions to his store building, doubling its former capacity. He now carries,
in addition to a general line of hardware, a full line of agricultural imple-
ments, saddlery, paints, fencing, building supplies, auto supplies and the
like and is doing a very good business. Mr. Hitchcock is an enterprising
and energetic liusiness man and constructed the first cement sidewalk laid in
the village of Genesee. He has a fine white-brick residence, electrically
lighted, and he and bis family are \ery pleasantly situated. Mr. Hitchcock
is a Republican and is a member of the local school board. He is a member
of the Masonic lodge at Otisville and takes a warm interest in Masonic
affairs.

In 1890 Frank C". ?Iitchcock was united in marriage to Nettie Wert-
man, who was bom in Niagara county, New York. June 14, 1869, and who
was twelve years old when her parents, George and Mary Ann (Leib) Wert-
man, came to Michigan and settled on a farm in section 18, Richfield town-
ship, this county, where they lived until their retirement from the farm and
removal to Flint, where George \\'ertman died in 1914. His widow is now



282 GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN.

niakinti^ lier home with her daughter, Mrs. Hitchcock, in Genesee. Nettie
\\'ertman grew to womanliood on the parental farm in Richfield township
and remained there until her marriage to Mr. Hitchcock. To that union
t\\ o children have heen bom. Mabel, born on September i8, 1892, and Royal,
July 6. 1893.



CLARENCE LUCE.



Clarence Luce, the son of Calvin W. and Florence (Sutton) Luce, was
born in Flushing township, this county, on November 7, 1875.

Calvin W. Luce was born on. October 7, 1846, in Hillsdale county. He
lived there but a few years and was bound out until he was twenty-one years
of age, to a family in Genesee county. After serving his time he began to
work for others on his own account. After a time he lx)Ught a farm just
■east of Flushing, where he lived for some years, after which he lived on
several different farms 1)efiire he located on the one near Flushing, where he
died on September 6. 191 2. He was a stanch Republican and an active
worker in the Methodist Episcopal church. He also was a member of the
order of Maccabees.

Florence (Sutton) Luce was born on March 28, 1850, in Flushing
township and in the same house where Clarence Luce was born, twenty-five
years later. She and Calvin W. Luce were the parents of four children :
Ira, a farmer of Mt. Morris township; Jennie, the wife of O. Eugene Soper,
of Mt. Morris township; Clarence, and Charles C, the latter of whom also
is a farmer of Flushing township.

Clarence Luce received his education in the schools of Flushing, Flint,
and Mt. Morris townships and later attended the normal school at Flint.
After completing his schooling he returned to the home farm, where he
assisted his father for one year, at the end of which time he purchased a
farm of eighty acres in section 25, Flushing township. He then married
Frances M. Hackney, who was born in Mt. Morris township on April 25,
1874, a daughter of Johnson and Mary (Pailthorp) Hackney.

Johnson Hackney was lx)rn in Lincolnshire, England, on May 13, 1836,
and when twenty years of age, came to the United States, with his sister,
locating in Mt. Morris township, this county, where he lived until his death
in 1905. On November 9, 1864, he was married to Mary Pailthorp, who
was born in Mt. Morris township on February 13, 1845, spent all her life
there and is l)uried on the farm where she was born. She was the daughter



GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN. 283

ui William and Frances ( Sisson) Pailthorp, natives of England and early
settlers of this county. Johnson Hackney and wife were the parents of five
children, those besides Mrs. Luce being as follow: Edward, of Flint; Clar-
ence, of Mt. Morris township; Eugene, of Vienna township, and Reuben, of
Flint. Mr. and Mrs. Hackney were active members of the Methodist Episco-
pal church and took much interest in all church work.

Frances Luce received her education in the schools of Mt. Morris town-
ship. It was there that she grew to womanhood and was married to Clarence
Luce on December 12, 1900. To this union three children have been born:
Beatrice Mary, born on July 8, 1902; Mildred Hackney, December 14, 1904,
who died on May 27, 1914, and Marguerite Johnson, December 3, 1913.

Clarence Luce lived on his original eighty-acre farm for seven years,
during which time he added forty acres to the place. In 1908 he purchased
one hundred and ten acres in section 23, Flushing township, and there made
his home for five years. In 191 2 he bought a home in Flushing, where he
lived for two years, after which he purchased fifty-eight acres in section 25,
Flushing- township, where he has since made his home. He manages all his
farms and engaged in general farming and stock raising. He specializes in
pure-bred Holstein cattle, of which he has about twenty-five head. He raises
and feeds many hogs and sheep. Besides his other interests he owns a half
interest in the Flushing Butter Company and is a stockholder in the com-
pany that is operating the canning factory.

Politically, Mr. Luce is a Republican and takes an interest in local civic
affairs. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He and his
wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Flushing and take
much interest in church work.



GEORGE E. MUNDY.



George E. Mundy was born in Clayton township, Genesee county, Mich-
igan. December 23, i860, the son of Thomas and Mary Jane (Darling)
jNIundy. Thomas Mundy was born in Devonshire, England, November 16,
1838. In July, 1850, he came to the United States with his parents, John
and Sarah (Butcher) Mundy, also natives of Devonshire. The other two
children of this family who came with their parents at that time were John
and Charles. John Mundy bought eighty acres of land in section 15, Clay-
ton township, this county, from a man who had just taken it up as govern-



284 GENESEE COUNTY, AIICHIGAN.

nient laml. It was all wild land and he began the work of clearing it up and
getting it in shape for cultivation. He built a log house and made that place
his home until his death, which occurred four years after coming to the
United States. His wife continued to live there after the death of her hus-
band, her son, Thomas, taking charge of the farm and taking care of his
mother until her death at the age of ninety-two years.

Thomas Mundy was married in March, i860, at the age of twenty-one.
He continued tt) make his home on the old home farm for many years, buy-
ing more land, from time to time, but always kept the old homestead. He
was engaged in general farming and st(3ck raising. He was township drain
commissioner for ftmrteen years, and laid out and overhauled all the drains
in Clayton township. He lield the office of justice of the ])eace and other
township offices, was administrator of se\eral estates and sersed as district
school officer and director. He was a member of the Baptist church and his
pohtical affiliation was with the Democratic party. After the death of his
first wife he married Anna Brown, now in Canada. Soon after his second
marriage he sold his homestead to his younger son, reserving only forty acres
for himself, and practically retired from active work. He is still living.

Mary Jane (Darling) Mundy, mother of (ieorge E. Mundy, was born
in Lockport. Xew York. Xovember 21, 1842, a daughter of Dr. Serenis and
Mary ((ioyer) Darling. Doctor Darling was a native of Connecticut. His
father was also a doctor, and his lineage on his mother's side, runs back to
the physician who accompanied General LaFayette to this country. His
wife was a nati\e of X'ermont, also with an ancestry dating from colonial
times. There w ere eight children in the family of Doctor and Mrs. Darling.
IClecta. -\nna, George. Serenis, Clarissa, Mary Jane, Henry and Hiram.
.Mar\- Jane Darling came to Genesee county with an uncle, William Goyer,
and li\ed on the Goyer fanu now owned by James Bendle, in Clayton town-
ship until her marriage to Thomas Mundy. To that union twelve children
were ixirn, three of whom died in infanc\-. The others are: George E., sub-
ject of this sketch; Henry, who died in Se]>tember, 1912; Sarah, who married
John 11. Callender and lives at Vpsilanti, Michigan; Charles, who lives on
the old Mundy homestead: .\nna, who married Daniel Rose, a farmer in
Clavton township; Juna and Chauncey. both deceased; Clara, who died from
accident when young; Ray, living at f'ontiac, Michigan, and 'Sla.ry Jane, who
died in 1890, aged forty-seven years.

George E. Mundy was educated in the district schools of Clayton town-
shi]). When twenty-three years old he bought forty acres of wild land in
Clavton township, which he cleared and jnU in condition for cultivatitm. He



GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN. 285

remained on that farm until a1)out 1899, having added sixty acres more land
to his original purchase in the meantime. He sold out then and removed to
Flint, where he engaged in the produce business for about eight months, at
the end of which time he purchased one hundred and twenty-one acres of
land in Cla}"ton township and again engaged in farming, continuing thus
engaged for aliout two years. In 1902 he sold out and moved to Flushing,
where, in partnership with E. L. Bucher, he engaged in the buggy business.
.\fter five years this partnership was dissolved and George E. Mundv bought
the hotel in Flushing then known as the Eggleston House. He changed the
name to Hotel Mund}' and conducted it for seven years and two months,
at the end of which time he sold out and has since continued to look after
his farm that he has owned and operated himself for eleven years, hiring the
work done, but still living in the village. Mr. Mundy has made a success in
business, starting, as he did, in a log house on forty acres of wild land.

On November i, 1883, George E. ]\Iundy was married to Mary Vernon,
daughter of Enoch and Hannah ( Bailey ) A'ernon, who were among the early
pioneers of Flushing township. Mrs. ^Iimdy was educated in the district
fchools of the township and in the Flushing high school, and then was engaged
in teaching up to the time of her marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Mundy have
been liorn two children, Floy, who died at the age of fourteen years, the
result of an accident, and Hazel May, a graduate of the Flushing high school
;uid of the Michigan .\gricultural College, who taught domestic science in
the Midland high school in the year 1915. Mr. Mundy's church affiliation
is with the Presbyterian church. In politics, he is a Republican. He has
served as township treasurer of Clayton township and as drain commissioner
of Flushing township. Fie is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the blue
lodge and of the chapter at Flu.shing.



CL.\UDF. HOLDEN.



One of the most enterprising of the younger farmers of Thetford town-
ship, is Claude Hoklen, who is now the efflcient treasurer of the township.
He was born in the abo\e-named township on November 11. 1890, and is a
son of A. ]. and b'lizabeth (Craig) Hoklen. The father was born in this
countv in the vear 1849. The mother was born in Canada in 1864, and
when }-oung in A-ears she came to this county, where she met and married
Mr. Holden. Here they have engaged in general farming and are living in



286 GENESEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN.

Alt. ]\[orris township. They are parents of four children, namely: Bertha,
who is the wife of Bert Tryon; Carrie, wife of Otis Cook; Winnifred E.,
the wife of Elias Berkman, of FHnt, and Claude, the subject of this sketch.

Claude Holden was reared on the home farm in Thetford township,
where he worked when a boy, and he received his education in the district
schools, which he atterided until he was eighteen years of age. Mr. Holden
has always followed farming, and is now owner of sixty acres in section 3.
Thetford township, on which he is making a very comfortable living.

On March 2. 191 5, Claude Holden was married to Blanche Whitman,
who was reared in that same locality and attended school there, her par-
ents having settled in that part of Genesee county many years ago. To Mr.
and Mrs. Holden one child lias been born, Claude ]Max, whose birth occurred
on February 28, 10 16.

Politically, Mr. Holden is a RepubHcan and is active in the work of his
party. He was elected treasurer of Thetford township in the spring of 19 16
and is discharging the duties of that ofifice in a very creditable manner.
Fraternally, he is a member of Lodge No. 91. Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and Clio Lodge Xo. 205, Free and Accepted Masons.



CHARLES W. MINTO.



Charles W. Alinto, the proprietor of the "West Flint Stock Farm," in
Flint township, and supervisor of that township, was born in Caledonia
township, Shiawassee county, this state, on Jul\- 7, 1872, the son of William
B. and Almeda J. (Hanna) Minto.

William B. ]\Iinto was born in Scotland on March 15, 1846, while Mrs.
I\Iinto was a native of the state of New York, born un Augtist 20, 1847,
in Genesee county, that state. Mr. and Mrs. Minto are residents of Union
City, Michigan, where Mr. Minton is engaged in the clothing business. They
are members of and active workers in the Methodist Episcopal church. They
are the parents of the following children, those besides the subject of this
.sketch being Mattie, the wife of S. T. Blackmer, of Fowlerville; Blanche, the



Online LibraryEdwin Orin WoodHistory of Genesee county Michigan; her people, industries and institutions, with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of many of the old families → online text (page 29 of 89)