Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 10 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 10 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the most cultured and his conversation was always enriched by an interesting
originality.

On the 22d of June, 1885, Mr. Walker was married to Miss Juliet C. Pollock
of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, a daughter of William and Emily (Clay) Pollock.
Dr. Walker was an Episcopalian in religious faith and took very active interest
in all of the different departments of the church work. He served as vestryman



90 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

of several congregations of this city, was thoroughly informed concerning church
history and, imbued with a deeply fervent religious spirit, wrote various articles
for publication in the church papers. He was a man of broad scholarly attain-
ments and, moreover, possessed an abiding charity and deep human sympathy
which won for him the respect, confidence and high regard of his fellowmen.



HOWARD SCHULTZ ANDERS, M. D.

Dr. Howard Schultz Anders was born in Norristown, Montgomery county,
Pennsylvania, November 12, 1866, within a stone's throw of the old observatory
of David Rittenhouse. His father, Nathaniel Heebner Anders, also a native of
Montgomery county, was there eng'aged in dealing in merchandise until his re-
moval to Philadelphia in 1872, when he established a furniture store, which he
conducted until his death in 1882, when he was forty-four years of age. He
married Regina Gerhard Schultz, who is still living. Dr. Anders is by birthright
a Schwenkfelder, being descended in both the paternal and maternal lines from
Caspar Schwenkfeld, whose followers, seeking to escape religious persecution,
came to America from Germany, landing at Philadelphia on the 23d of Septem-
ber, 1734, from the ship St. Andrew, which had sailed from England. The
Schwenkfeldians came from southeastern Prussia and were German Puritans
of a very liberal evangelical and advanced doctrine. Many of the Doctor's an-
cestors on the maternal side were men of distinction, his great grandfather and
great-great'great-grandfather having been prominent theologians of that sect.

Dr. Anders was the eldest of a family of five, of whom two are now de-
ceased. He has a brother, D. Webster Anders, who is chief engineer for the
Filbert Construction & Paving Company, and a sister, Mrs. S. Maus Purple, of
Los Angeles, California. In the public schools of Philadelphia Dr. Anders pur-
sued his early education and afterward was graduated from the Central high
school with the eighty- third class (of 1885), receiving his Master of Arts degree
therefrom in 1892, on which occasion he delivered the master's address on a
subject concerning public health. For two years he engaged in business as book-
keeper for a dry-goods commission house and meanwhile took up scientific
studies at night preparatory to entering upon the practice of medicine. He was
graduated from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in
1890, on which occasion he received honorable mention for his graduation thesis
entitled. Street Width, Its Causal Relation to the Mortality of Tuberculosis.
Following his graduation he served for one year as interne at the Presbyterian
Hospital of Philadelphia, and since then has been engaged in active general and
consultation practice, specializing somewhat on diseases of the heart and lungs.

Dr. Anders has won a notable and enviable position in professional circles.
In 1892-93 he was instructor on diseases of children at the Medico-Chirurgical
College and for several years thereafter was instructor in clinical medicine at
the same institution, while since 1899 he has been professor of physical diagno-
sis. He is also the author of a text-book on physical diagnosis, containing four
hundred and fifty-six pages and published by Appleton of New York in 1907.







^^B ^


'•■Q^V^ ^^^^^^^^^^1






^^IP^' ji


c^*^"'^^^!


^^^B^^^k ' ^l^i^ijjj^^^^^^^^l






V'^^J^^H




\ X i^H


O^^fiibJ^I^^K. - .


7 '''I^^H


||^j_^^^^


# ^^^^^^1




fi'W^^tML ^^^^^^^1


■■Ik


■■m^H^^BIHI^^H



DR. H. S. ANDERS






A»TOfl, Li£«OX ANB '



HISTORY OF PIIII.ADF.I.rtnA 93

He has served as visiting physician to the Samaritan Hospital for five years and
to tlie tuberculosis department of the Philadelphia General Hospital for three
years. He was a pioneer (1894) in the agitation for the adoption of individual
communion cups and public drinking cups for sanitary reasons ; and wrote a
number of monographs on the subject. He has witnessed a notable growth in
the movement in churches; for in 1895 there were only about twenty churches
using individual communion cups, while today there are nearly fifteen thou-
sand. Dr. Anders has always been very active in tuberculosis work and was
one of the original members of the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of
Tuberculosis, serving as its president for three years. He was the first authority
on tuberculosis to urge a state sanitarium for the treatment of the tubercular
poor in Pennsylvania; and his visits to Harrisburg during three legislative ses-
sions were largely responsible for the subsequent appropriation of a million dol-
lars for such work under the splendid administration of the present health com-
missioner, Dr. Dixon. Dr. Anders was also largely in$triimental in having passed
an anti-spitting bill and having the Philadelphia- Rapid Transit Company do away
with the dust infected and disease breeding plush cushions in the old trolley
cars. He has studied the street cleaning methods of the principal cities of Eu-
rope and America and has contrasted the conditions of Philadelphia with other
cities. In the last two years he has taken a leading part in agitating against
public health dangers of dust in connection with inadequate cleaning and the
neglect of street sprinkling in Philadelphia, in a series of letters to the public
press, in which the results of his investigations were summarized and the menace
to health through the filthy, dust infected atmosphere pointed out. It was in-
sisted that public health and sanitary safety demanded that the street cleaning
and sprinkling specifications should be enforced and better, more modern meth-
ods of cleaning and allaying dust should be adopted for the future. He has
delivered many lectures on the prevention of tuberculosis in Philadelphia and
throughout the state, and few men, even among the members of the profession,
are so thoroughly informed concerning the means and processes by which disease
is spread.

Dr. Anders has recently been elected a fellow of the Royal Meteorological
Society of London in recognition of a series of investigations which he made
relating to weather phenomena and influenza epidemics, published since 1898 in
the Transactions of the American Climatological Association. He has also been
a frequent contributor to current medical literature and is a member of the
Philadelphia County and Pennsylvania State Medical Societies, the American
Medical Association, the American Climatological Association and the American
Association for the Advancement of Science.

Dr. Anders also belongs to the Pennsylvania German Society, to the Yachts-
men's Club and to University Lodge. No. 610, F. & A. M. His political faith is
that of the independent republican movement and his religious belief that of the
Baptist church. He was school director in the fifteenth ward for two years,
being elected by all parties, and was also the first candidate for city coroner on
the municipal league ticket. His favorite recreations are sailing and tennis and
hours of leisure are devoted thereto. He is greatly interested in the study of
trees and holds membership with the Pennsylvania Forestry Association. He



94 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA .

enjoys travel, and in 1909 made a trip to Europe, visiting England, France,
Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and Italy. He is also a lover of books, music,
paintings and fine rugs, and he is the possessor of one of the fiinest general
libraries of any physician in Philadelphia. The interests of Dr. Anders cover
wide scope, his investigations and researches have been extensively carried on,
his studies have covered a broad range and few men are better informed upon
a great variety of subjects than he. Moreover, he stands in all things for prog-
ress and improvement and for the beneficial and ennobling influences of life,
while in his professional work his standards are of the highest.



WILLIAM GUGGENHEIM.

William Guggenheim, capitalist of Philadelphia, his native city, was born
November 6, 1869, the youngest son of Meyer and Barbara (Meyers) Guggen-
heim, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work. He supplemented his
early education by the mastery of a course in mining, metallurgy and chemistry
in the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the class
of 1889. He put his theoretical knowledge to the practical test in a period of
thorough service in the Guggenheim Smelting Works at Pueblo, Colorado. His
father had become investor in extensive mining properties of the west and
William Guggenheim was associated with him in partnership relations. In
1890 he went to Monterey, Mexico, with his brother Solomon, to superintend
the erection of new smelting works there and later was similarly engaged at
Aguascalientes. He remained in Mexico as manager of the firm's interests in
mining and smelting in that country until 1900, when he retired as an active
member of the firm, although he is still financially interested in their properties
of the west and south. He is also connected with many other of the mammoth
business enterprises of the United States as a stockholder and director, and the
sound judgment which he manifests as a factor in the control of these interests
entitles him to be ranked with American captains of industry.



GEORGE W. CRAWFORD.

George W. Crawford, who in the years of his active connection with trade
interests was well known as a commission merchant of Philadelphia, was born
August 9, 1838, in Demerara, British Guiana, in the West Indies, and his life
record covered the intervening years to the i8th of August, 1906. His parents
were George and Sarah (Huston) Crawford. The father was born in Scotland
and from that country went to the West Indies, where he engaged in the jew-
elry business. His wife was a native of the West Indies and a daughter of Mrs.
Mary Huston, who was the owner of a large sugar cane plantation and six hun-
dred slaves, all of whom were freed in 1838 through an emancipation proclama-
tion issued by Queen Victoria.

George W. Crawford acquired his early education in the West Indies and
at the age of twenty years went to London, England, where he entered Queens



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 95

College and prepared for a surgeon's course, l)Ut, owing to financial reverses in
the family, lie was forced to abandon liis college work. He was twenty-one
years of age when he sailed for America, landing at Philadelphia. In this city
he was first employed as a confidential man by the Charles T. Ellis & Sons Com-
pany, wholesale druggists, with whom he remained for many years. Later he
became interested in the produce business with Nichols & Lehman, the firm
later becoming Crawford & Lehman and so continuing until the death of the
senior partner. The business is still being carried on under the name of the
Crawford & Lehman Commission Company. Mr. Crawford, practically with-
out funds when he arrived in America, was a self-made man, deserving all the
credit and praise that the term implies. He shunned notoriety of any kind but
possessed a most kind and loving disposition and enjoyed the friendship of
practically all with whom he was brought in contact. He delighted in literature
and was a well read man. He also took great interest in pictures and other
forms of art and found keen pleasure in those things which counteract the some-
what narrowing and ofttimes sordid interests of a life that is devoted exclusively
to money-making.

On the 22d of June, 1865, Mr. Crawford was married to Miss Margaret
Nichols, a daughter of Andrew and Jane (Dailey) Nichols, the former a lead-
ing grocer of Illinois. They had one daughter, Eva, who is at home with her
mother. In his political views Mr. Crawford was an earnest republican. He
was a stanch admirer of Robert G. Ingersoll although reared in the Methodist
faith. He held membership in Philadelphia Lodge No. 72, F. & A. M., and
was in hearty sympathy with its humanitarian principles of mutual helpfulness
and brotherly kindness. His life displayed many beautiful phases of character
and disposition, winning him the warm regard of all with whom business and
social relations brought him in contact.



HENRY FLANNERY, M. D.

Dr. Henry Flannery, whose sudden death, July 2, 1908, removed from the
medical ranks of Philadelphia a physician whose work was of growing importance,
was born in Douglassville, Pennsylvania, September 30, 1867, and was a son of
Henry and Mary Flannery, who are also now deceased.

Dr. Flannery began his education in the private school of Pottstown, Penn-
sylvania, and afterward entered the University of Pennsylvania, where he was
enrolled as a medical student. He completed the prescribed course and was
graduated with the M. D. degree as a member of the class of 1901. He then
received appointment to the position of resident physician in St. Mary's Hos-
pital, where he remained for eighteen months, during which time he enjoyed
that broad and varied experience which hospital practice brings and which con-
stitutes a splendid training for general practice. He was also connected with
the surgical dispensary of St. Mary's Hospital at the time of his death. He
first practiced at the Falls of Schuylkill and on removing to Philadelphia opened
an office on Broad street. As a general practitioner he was splendidly qualified



96 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

for the duties that devolved upon him and continually read and studied along
professional lines, thus promoting his skill and efficiency. He also belonged to
the County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the American Medi-
cal Association and was a member of the Sigma Nu, a medical fraternity.

On the 17th of October, 1896, Dr. Flannery was married to Miss Mary Dona-
hue, of Philadelphia, a daughter of Henry Donahue, who was formerly president
of the Horn & Brannan Gas Fixture Company of this city but is now deceased.
Dr. Flannery was a member of the Catholic church. A splendid young man with
a promising future before him, his sudden and unexpected death was the occa-
sion of deep and widespread regret to the many friends whom he had won during
the period of his residence in this city. His social qualities also endeared him to
those with whom he came in contact and he possessed a cheery and hopeful dis-
position that served as a tonic to those whom he visited professionally, helping
to counteract any discouragement or depression which they might feel. He was
conscientious in the performance of every professional duty and this coupled with
his scientific knowledge made his services valuable.



GEORGE M. CONARROC.

Among the lawyers who have done notable work at the Philadelphia bar, their
professional service commended by the consensus of public opinion, was George
M. Conarroc, who was born in this city in 1831, a son of George W. Conarroc, a
native of New Jersey who became a prominent portrait painter. Reared in an
atmosphere of culture and refinement and provided with excellent educational
privileges, George M. Conarroc came to manhood well equipped for large respon-
sibilities. He was educated in an Episcopal academy of this city and on the com-
pletion of his more specifically literary course entered upon the study of law and
was admitted to the bar in 1853. The possession of wealth or social position or
the aid of influential friends is no guaranty for professional advancement. Each
member of the bar must depend upon his own merits and ability for the attainment
of success and, realizing this fact, George M. Conarroc soon proved his worth
in the conduct of important litigated interests. He acquired an extensive prac-
tice, especially in the orphans' court and in the management of estates.

Soon after his admission to the bar Mr. Conarroc was married to Miss Nancy
Dunlap, a daughter of Thomas Dunlap, one of the most prominent attorneys of
his day and also very active in the affairs of the city. He was, moreover, widely
known for his generosity, being ever ready to lend a helping hand to the needy.
The mother of Mrs. Conarroc was a representative of the famous Biddle family
who were among the first settlers of Philadelphia. Mr. Dunlap was born Sep-
tember 4, 1816, and died July 11, 1867.

The death of Mr. Conarroc occurred August 25, 1896, at his handsome sum-
mer home at York Beach, Maine, when he was sixty-five years of age. He was
a man of rather retiring disposition and of domestic taste, yet he took active in-
terest in public affairs relative to the progress and advancement of the city, state
and nation. In politics he was a stanch republican, giving earnest, intelligent and



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 97

effective support to the party. He was also prominent in connection with the af-
fairs of management of the Episcopal church and for many years acted as vestry-
man at St. Mark's and also at the church of St. James the Less. He was a mem-
ber of the Philadelphia and Penn Clubs and his social prominence was no less
pronounced than his professional ability nor his patriotic citizenship. His salient
qualities were such as gave him standing among Philadelphia's foremost and hon-
ored citizens and causes his memory to be revered by all who knew him.



JOHN SERGEANT GERHARD.

Forty-three years' connection with the Philadelphia bar, characterized by
marked devotion to the interests of his clients and unfaltering activity in the
promotion of legal interests intrusted to his care, have brought John Sergeant
Gerhard to a position among the distinguished lawyers of this, his native city.
The names of his ancestors in both the paternal and maternal lines figure in con-
nection with the history of the legal profession in Philadelphia. He is a direct
descendant of Jonathan Dickinson Sergeant, who was a member of the first con-
tinental congress and attorney general of Pennsylvania from 1777 to 1780. His
maternal grandfather was John Sergeant, long a prominent and successful prac-
titioner in Philadelphia, who was admitted to practice in 1799. His father, Ben-
jamin Gerhard, attained eminence in the profession of the law, continuing in ac-
tive practice until his death in 1864. His wife bore the maiden name of Anna
Sergeant.

John Sergeant Gerhard was born December 24, 1845, and had the benefit of
early instruction in private schools. He afterward attended the University of
Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1865, with the degree of A. B.
He completed a course in the law department of that institution with the LL. B.
degree in 1867 and on the i6th of November of that year was admitted to the
bar and opened an olSce in Philadelphia where he has since remained in active
practice. With a thorough understanding of the science and the principles of the
law, he combines a readiness of resource that has prevented him from ever being
taken unawares by the opposing counsel. He draws from the storehouse of gen-
eral wisdom as well to elucidate and emphasize his points and his strength both
as an advocate and counselor is widely recognized. He has largely devoted his
energies and abilities to litigation of a civil and corporate character and during
the past forty years or more has been identified with the preparation and prosecu-
tion of a number of important cases.

In early manhood, when but nineteen years of age Mr. Gerhard enlisted in the
University Light Artillery, serving in 1864 and 1865. His career since that time
has been one of exceptional usefulness in its relation to the interests of society
and few men possess the peculiar order of ability which has enabled him, in ad-
dition to the superior management of his individual affairs, to so largely promote
matters of vital importance to the public at large.

In 1873 Mr. Gerhard wedded Miss Maria Pepper, a daughter of Dr. William
Pepper, and they reside at Overbrook. Theirs is an enviable position in social



98 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

circles where broad and liberal culture is regarded as a necessary attribute to
agreeableness. Mr. Gerhard's genial personality has secured for him warm and
sincere friendship in the various walks of life. Moreover, he is a valuable ac-
quisition to those gatherings where the significant and vital questions of the day
are discussed as relating to the individual, the community or the nation. With
a mind analytical, logical and inductive, his opinions concerning such questions
are a compelling force in molding public opinion because of his keen insight and
his habit of determining the relation of a single incident or circumstance to both
cause and effect.



ALEXANDER LAWRENCE, Jr.

Alexander Lawrence, Jr., a prominent and successful representative of in-
dustrial interests in Philadelphia, is at the head of the Lawrence-McFadden Com-
pany, filler and varnish manufacturers, conducting an extensive business in the
United States, Canada and Europe. His birth occurred in this city on the 30th
of October, 1858, his parents being Alexander and Sarah Ann Lawrence. The
father, who was bom in Maryland on the 29th of November, 1827, came to Phil-
adelphia at an early age and secured a position in the Watson bakery. Subse-
quently he was connected with Robert Riddle in the sale of mineral waters from
1859 until 1880. During the following ten years he was engaged in business as
a dealer in new and second-hand furniture and then became night watchman for
the Northern Liberties Bank at Third and Vine streets. Since 1 901, however,
he has lived in honorable retirement, enjoying the fruits of his former toil in
well earned ease. He is well known and highly esteemed throughout the com-
munity as a man whose life has been upright and honorable in all its relations.
He has been a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity for the past sixty
years and is also a veteran member of the I. O. O. F.

Alexander Lawrence, Jr., attended the public schools of this city until four-
teen years of age and then entered the silverware house of Mead & Robbins, re-
maining with that concern as office boy for two years. Subsequently he was em-
ployed as a clerk by the Great American Shoe Stores at Eighth and Vine streets,
there remaining for a year and a half. On the expiration of that period he se-
cured a position as clerk in the wholesale notion house of J. K. Mcllvaine &
Sons, in whose employ he continued for three years. Entering the service of
the firm of Young, Smith, Field & Co., wholesale dealers in notions, he was first
employed as order clerk and later became a salesman, acting in the latter capacity
for two years, when he began dealing in new and second-hand furniture as a
partner of his father. At the end of seven years he and his brother bought out
their father's interest, continuing the business for four years longer before dis-
posing of it. He was next employed as a salesman by William Waterall & Com-
pany, paint manufacturers, for two years and then became connected with the
paint manufacturing establishment of William T. Lindeman & Company, re-
maining with that concern in the capacity of salesman for eight years. On the
expiration of that period he purchased an interest in the Queen City Varnish




ALEXAXDER LAWKEXCE, .1R.



i^Hnes



■jIL:



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 101

Company and became tlie Philadelphia manager and a member of the board of
directors but sold out at the end of four years. In 1902, he became the senior
member of the Lawrence, McFadden & Elliott Company, then located at No. 324
North American street, and in 1906 they purchased and absorbed the Barrett-
Lindeman Company at the death of Mr. Barrett. The concern is now known as
the Lawrence-McFadden Company, with Alexander Lawrence as president.
Their varnish factory is located at Fourth and Bristol streets and the main factory
is at No. 1400 Frankford avenue. They employ fifty men in the manufacture of
fillers, stains and varnishes, and their business extends all over the United States,
Canada and Europe. In 1909 the business of the house amounted to a half mil-
lion dollars. No fortunate combination of circumstances aided Alexander Law-
rence in his career. On the contrary he placed his dependence upon the safe,
substantial qualities which constitute the basis of all business success and by his



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 10 of 62)