Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 14 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 14 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


had been the homestead of his father and two brothers, who came to America
from France.

The family of Mr. and Mrs. Ellsbury B. Slaughter numbers eight children,
who are yet living: Louis N., a practicing physician of Pitman Grove, New Jer-
sey; Frank V., of this review; Mary, the wife of Joseph Elliott and a resident of
Delmar, Delaware; Sarah J., the wife of Albert Entwisle, a resident of Phila-
delphia ; Elizabeth, a nurse in the State Home for Girls at Trenton, New Jer-»
sey ; Susan B., who is a graduate nurse of the Homeopathic School of Wilming-
ton, Delaware, and is now living in Philadelphia; Ada S., the wife of Wilbur D.
Wiles, a farmer of Kenton, Delaware; and Edward B., who makes his home in
Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania.

In the public schools of Delaware, Frank V. Slaughter pursued his early
education and also was instructed by private tutors. He began teaching school in
1884 and continued at the profession until 1890, at which time he was principal
of the public schools of Rockland, Delaware, situated on the Brandywine, just
north of Wilmington. In 1891 he became associated with the Wilmington Den-
tal Manufacturing Company, which position he held until tlie fall of 1895. In the
meantime his attention was attracted toward the medical profession, and believ-
ing that he would find therein a congenial field of labor, he entered Hahnemann
Medical College in 1895 and was graduated in 1899, after which he became as-



130 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

sociated with the college under Dr. Snider, who had charge of the chest depart-
ment. Later he had charge of the general medical department of the Children's
Homeopathic Hospital for a number of years and has thus had important hos-
pital practice in addition to an extensive private practice. In 1899 he located
at 1429 Girard avenue, where he has since continued in general practice although
doing some special work in chest diseases. He is a member of the Philadelphia
County Medical Society and of the Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical Society
of Philadelphia.

On the 30th of January, 1895, Dr. Slaughter was married in Philadelphia to
Miss Ella S. Murray, a daughter of William H. and Mary A. (Weaver) Murray.
Her father was for many years a contractor and builder of this city, in which he
spent his entire life. He retired, however, some years prior to his death, which
occurred in 1881, when he was sixty-five years of age. He had for seven years
survived his wife, who died at the age of forty-seven years. Dr. and Mrs.
Slaughter are well known socially in this city where they have many friends. He
is not active in politics nor does he have the slightest ambition for political pre-
ferment. He belongs to the Society of the Sons of Delaware at Philadelphia
and is a member of the Automobile Club of Philadelphia, and motoring is to him
one of the delightful forms of recreation. He holds to high ideals in his pro-
fession and is one of the prominent representatives of the homeopathic school in
this city.



r HENRY CARNEY REGISTER, D. D. S., M. D.

Dr. Henry Carney Register, whose opinions in the field of dentistry are
largely accepted as authority and his work as standard, for he is today one
of the eminent representatives of the profession of dentistry in Philadelphia, was
born in Newcastle, Delaware, August 18, 1844. He is of English descent, his
ancestors having come to America from England with John Penn, preceding
the advent of William Penn. All were Quakers and in successive generations
the members of the Register family were stock farmers and millers. Jere-
miah Register, who was one of the first of the Register family born in America,
purchased a farm in Kent county, Delaware, about 1747. He died in 1773.
Isaac Register, the youngest son of Jeremiah Register, was born October 3,
1765, and died November 19, 1815. He was a teacher and farmer. At the
age of twenty-five years he married Mary Ann Hatfield, and they had four
children, Elija B., Mary C, Eliza Ann, and Isaac Hatfield.

Isaac H. Register, the father of Dr. Henry C. Register, a business man
now deceased, married Mary Ann Carney, a daughter of John Carney of
Scotch descent, who was an American soldier during the Revolutionary war
and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis. Mrs. Register died in 1856.
This union was blessed with four children, I. Layton, Henry C, John E. and
Dora Layton. I. Layton Register, who resides in this city, is the general and
financial agent of the Equitable Life Insurance Company.

Dr. Register acquired his literary education in Newcastle, Delaware, and
Elkton, Maryland, and while a student at the latter academy. In 1861 he




DK. H. C. KECilSTEK



THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY



L



MTall, LIMOX ANa
THJIO' FOUNOATtWm,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 133

enlisted for a term of three years as a private and non-commissioned officer
in tlie Union army with the Fifth Regiment of Maryland Volunteer Infantry
but on account of ill health was mustered out after about two year's service.
Following the close of his military experience he took up the study of dentistry
and was graduated with the U. D. S. degree from the Pennsylvania Dental
College in 1866. Immediately afterward he located for practice at Milford,
Delaware, where he remained until 1870, when he came to Philadelphia, where
he has since successfully practiced his profession. Upon removing to this
city he also took up the study of medicine for the better understanding of the
scientific principles of dentistry and was graduated with the degree of M. D.
from Jefferson Medical College in 1872. He is a lover of the science which
engages his attention and from the beginning has considered the profession a
scientific and not merely a mechanical one. He believes in treating the cause
and not the effects of dental ailments and believes also that a dentist should
know as far as possible the scientific principles of all that pertains to or affects
the mouth. He has been a close student of stomatology and the pathology of
the mouth and his research has enabled him to give to the profession many
scientific facts of recognized value.

For some years Dr. Register was identified with the Philadelphia Dental
College, the Pennsylvania Dental College and the L^niversity of Pennsylvania
dental department — as a clinical instructor, and he has always been a contributor
to the current literature of the profession. He has served as president of the
Academy of Stomatology and the Pennsylvania State Dental Society and is
also a member of the Philadelphia Dental Club and the Philadelphia Stomato-
logical Club. His practice has been largely along lines of dental pathology, in
which he has combined the knowledge of a private scholar with the efficient
workmanship of a skilled mechanician. Notwithstanding the keen interest he
has taken in the advancement of dental science, he is probably best known
for the mechanical inventions which he has given to the profession, and for
which he has neither sought nor received any pecuniary compensation. He
is the inventor of the fountain cuspidor, a movable device with flexible supply
and waste tubes, which has had enormous sales. He is also the inventor of
the Register dental engine, a machine involving some of the most intricate
mechanical problems all worked out to the highest possible state of perfection
and practicability. His skill has also produced the Register hand piece and
other devices and his latest contribution in this line is the Register air com-
presser for using either hot or cold water for dehydrating purposes and also
for atomizing. This, too, is regarded as a masterpiece of scientific mechanism.

On the loth of January, 1878, Dr. Register was married in Philadelphia
to Miss Sita Bartol, a daughter of Barnabas H. Bartol, a very prominent Phila-
delphian of his day. They have become parents of a daughter and two sons :
Florence, the wife of Henry A. Dalky, formerly of New York city but now
a resident of Ardmore, Pennsylvania; Layton Bartol, a graduate of the science
and law departments of the University of Pennsylvania and now engaged in
the study of international law in association with the University of Pennsyl-
vania ; and H. Bartol, who is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania,



134 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

having completed courses in classics and architecture. He is now instructor
in architecture in the State University. There is also a grandson, Allen Register
Dalley. The family residence is in Gray's Lane, Haverford.

Dr. Register is a member of General George G. Meade Post, No. i, G.
A. R., and also belongs to the Philadelphia Art Qub and the Merion Cricket
Qub. Those who know him in his home or at the club find him a most genial
gentleman, whose well trained mind makes him an entertaining companion and
host. In professional circles he has gained distinction and honor because his
work has been a forceful element in that progress which has particularly char-
acterized the dental profession in the last quarter of a century.



WILLIAM HOLLOWAY ABBOTT.

William Holloway Abbott, to whom nature's gift of strong mentality enabled
him to gain distinction in both literary and legal circles, was born in Philadelphia,
June 25, 1815, a son of John and Elizabeth (Wood) Abbott. The father was a
Quaker merchant, descended from John Abbott, who came from Yorkshire, Eng-
land, settling in Burlington county, New Jersey, in 1680, and who married Ann
Mauleverer, through whom the family history is traced back to Edward I, and
several of the barons who signed the Magna Charta. The mother was also a rep-
resentative of one of the old Quaker families.

William H. Abbott, after pursuing his education in the private schools of
Philadelphia, prepared for the bar, to which he was admitted about 1838. He
entered at once upon active practice, in which he continued until 1880, and a
strongly analytical mind was manifest in his preparation of his cases and his
presentation of his case which gave due prominence to every point bearing upon
the litigation. He was, moreover, a man of unusually pronounced literary taste
for his day and he found his associates chiefly among the writers of that period.
He himself wrote extensively, being a constant contributor to local publications.
His writings were largely in verse and were frequently a discussion of current
events. He was a thorough Shakesperian scholar and in fact had wide knowledge
of the writings of those men who have contributed most to the prominent litera-
ture of the world. He held membership with the old Washington Literary As-
sociation and his own well developed mental powers won for him the apprecia-
tion and friendship of distinguished men of letters. In early youth he became
lame and before reaching middle life his sight failed to a large extent. As a
result of these afflictions he turned to literary interests rather than to social life
and spent the greater part of his time in his library, in the companionship of men
of master minds and in literary work. At his death, which occurred May 23,
1901, he was the oldest member of the Philadelphia bar.

On the 28th of November, 1866, in Philadelphia, Mr. Abbott was married to
Miss Sarah Yarnall, a daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Coffin) Yarnall, rep-
resentatives of an old Quaker family. Mrs. Abbott, who still resides in Phil-
adelphia, is a sister of Dr. Thomas Yarnall, for many years rector of St. Mary's



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 135

Episcopal church. They had one son, C. Yarnall Abbott, of whom mention is
made below. In the wider realm of thought and all the limited boundaries of
material interests, William H. Abbott made his mark and as scholar and author
left his impress upon the literary development of Philadelphia.



C. YARNALL ABBOTT.

C. Yarnall Abbott, attorney at law, was born in Philadelphia, September 23,
1870, a son of William H. Abbott, of whom mention is made on the preceding
page. His education was acquired in the private schools of thi;; city and in the
University of Pennsylvania, where he won his LL. B. degree in 1892. His time
has been devoted largely to the management of the family estates and to literary
and artistic pursuits, and the impress of his marked individuality is felt in all
these lines.

Mr. Abbott belongs to a number of the leading Philadelphia clubs, including
the University, Racquet, Franklin Inn and Philadelphia Sketch Clubs and the
Photographic Society of Philadelphia, of which he was president for many years.
He also belongs to the Colonial Society and to the Society of Runnemede.

On the 14th of June, 1898, Mr. Abbott was married in Philadelphia to Miss
Elenore Henries Plaisted, a daughter of Thomas Merril and Emma (Henries)
Plaisted, of Maine. Mrs. Abbott is well known as an artist and illustrator. They
have one child, Marjorie Yarnall Abbott, born March 28, 1909, and they reside
at the Gladstone.



MARSHALL G. KINNEY.

Marshall G. Kinney, a representative of the Philadelphia bar at the time of
his death, on the 29th of March, 1892, was only in his thirty-ninth year when
called to his final rest. His birth occurred August i, 1853, in the town of Light
Street, Columbia county, Pennsylvania. He was a son of Marshall G. and Han-
nah Kinney, who were both of American birth, the former born in New Jersey
and the latter in Pennsylvania. The father was a millwright by trade and en-
gaged in erecting saw and flouring mills throughout the United States and Europe.

After mastering the elementary branches of learning in the public schools of
his native borough Marshall G. Kinney, Jr., continued his studies in the Blooms-
burg (Pa.) Literary Institute and at the age of eighteen years entered upon an
apprenticeship in a drug store at Hazleton, Pennsylvania. For further scientific
training in his chosen field he matriculated in the College of Pharmacy in Phil-
adelphia when twenty years of age and was graduated in 1874. He was there
afterward connected with the drug business until 1876, when he accepted a po-
sition with a collection agency, and while thus engaged took up the study of law,
to which he devoted his leisure hours until his admission to the bar. He then
entered upon active practice in Philadelphia and his careful preparation of his



136 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

cases, his clear exposition of the law and his correct citation of precedent brought
him success. His practice constantly increased in volume and importance and
won him recognition as a progressive lawyer.

In 1876 Mr. Kinney was married to Miss Annie D. Test, of Philadelphia, a
daughter of Richard W. Test, formerly a druggist of Camden, New Jersey.
They became the parents of three children, Annie Miller, Marshall G. and Edith
Test, all at home with their mother.

In his political views Mr. Kinney was a stalwart republican and, taking active
interest in the questions and issues of the day, became recognized as one of the
party leaders. He was frequently heard in the discussion of campaign issues
upon the public platform and in 1891 he received recognition from his party in
the nomination for the state legislature and was elected. It was shortly after this
that he was stricken with a fatal illness and passed away in March, 1892, in the
midst of a career of large and growing usefulness. His religious faith was that
of the Methodist church and he was popular in the Westminster Club, the Sons
of America and the Masonic fraternity, in all of which he held membership.



JOEL LANE.



While Joel Lane never sought to figure prominently in any public light, his
life history is one that contains lessons of value to those who recognize the fact
that character-building is a thing of utmost importance in the world for, as
Lincoln has expressed it, "There is something better than making a living — mak-
ing a life." Mr. Lane was born in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1819,
and his life record covered the intervening years to the 28th of September, 1884.
The family is of English lineage and was founded in America at an early period
in the colonization of the new world, representatives of the name settling in
Chester, Pennsylvania, from which place a removal was later made to Ridley
Park. The parents of our subject were William and Elizabeth (Shillingford)
Lane, of Ridley Park, where the father maintained a country home and lived
retired. In the schools of Chester and of his native town Joel Lane pursued his
education to the age of sixteen years, when he put aside his text-books. His
elder brothers were engaged in carriage manufacturing at Ridley Park, and under
their direction Joel Lane learned the business with which he became familiar
both in principle and detail. A few years later the brothers removed to Phila-
delphia and built a carriage factory near Front street on Market. Mr. Lane
became a partner in the business and so continued until about two years prior to
his death, when ill health forced his retirement. The enterprise which was built
up grew to one of extensive proportions and became one of the profitable and
productive industries of that section of the state. The methods employed in its
conduct were such as accorded with the spirit of modern business enterprise
and progress, and success followed close application and intelligently directed
labor.

On the 31st of August, 1848, Mr. Lane was united in marriage to Miss Re-
becca Pennell, a daughter of James and Mary (Robinson) Pennell, of Chester,



HISTORY OF I'lIlLADELPlllA 137

Pennsylvania, her father being a prominent farmer of that locaHty. Her great-
grandfather, William Pennell, came from Englantl to Philadelphia in 1682 with
the followers of William Penn. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Lane were born three chil-
dren : Mary E., at home; Anna, the deceased wife of Alexander K. Moore, of
this city ; and Edward P., who has also passed away.

Mr. Lane was a home-loving man, devoted to the welfare and interests of his
family. His political allegiance was given to the republican party and while he
was frequently tendered the nomination for office, he continually refused to be-
come a candidate, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs
and his home interests. He was very fond of music, was a violin player and a
member of the choir of the old Asbury church at the corner of Thirty-third and
Chestnut streets. While he did not care for public office, he recognized the ob-
ligations of citizenship and gave the weight of his influence upon the side of
progress and improvement in those lines which tended to promote the intellec-
tual, material, social and moral welfare of the community.



JOHN WESTON CHRISTMAN.

John Weston Christman, who during the later years of his life was well known
in commercial and industrial circles in Philadelphia, his dominant qualities of
energy and determination bringing to him a substantial measure of success, was
born in Limerick township, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, and was a son
of Isaac and Eleanor Christman. After attending the public schools near his
boyhood home he continued his education in the college at Collegeville, Penn-
sylvania, after which he gave evidence of his ability in imparting readily and
clearly to others the knowledge he had acquired by his work as a teacher in
the schools of Montgomery county. He afterward took charge of his father's
business and thus first became connected with the coal trade. Subsequently
he removed to Reading, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the produce busi-
ness, and later he went to northern Michigan, where he was connected with lum-
ber interests, utilizing the extensive forests which at one time covered that sec-
tion of the country. Later he returned to Philadelphia and during his residence
here was connected with the coal trade and with the operation of a planing mill,
those undertakings claiming his time and attention until his life's labors were
ended in death. He was a man of resolute purpose, who with determined spirit
overcame all the difficulties and obstacles in his path and steadily worked his
way upward. He recognized and carefully utilized his opportunities and sought
his success along the well defined lines of trade.

Mr. Christman established a pleasant home in his marriage to Miss Eliza-
beth Mintzer, a daughter of the Rev. George Mintzer of Norristown, Mont-
gomery county. They became parents of two children, but the second, George
M., died two years before the death of Mr. Christman. The daughter, Anna, is
now the wife of Dr. Andrew Cams, chief medical inspector of Philadelphia.
Mr. Christman exercised his right of franchise in support of the men and meas-
ures of the democratic party and had firm faith in its principles but never sought



138 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

or desired office. He was an Episcopalian in his religious faith and his life was
in harmony with the standards of the church. He won his success by close at-
tention to business, by earnest effort and honorable purpose, and he enjoyed in
full measure the confidence and high regard of those with whom he was brought
in contact.



THE CHURCH OF ST. ANTHONY de PADUA.

The Church of St. Anthony de Padua, of which the Rev. William Paul Mas-
terson is the rector, is one of the strong centers of Catholic worship in Phila-
delphia. The church in all of its departments is well organized, and the work
is going steadily forward under the guiding hand of the rector and his assist-
ants, Rev. E. F. X. Curran, Rev. Thomas L. Gaffney, and Rev. Charles J. Kinslow.
There are twelve hundred and fifty families in the parish numbering about six
thousand, five hundred souls. The rectory, which stands on property adjoining
the church, was completed in 1902. The church was frescoed in 1907 by Signor
Baraldi and the decorations are most tasteful. The school building was erected
in 1897 and the school opened with six hundred and fifty pupils, which number
has been increased to eight hundred and fifty pupils. There are now eleven
teachers who are Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mercy, together with three
secular teachers.

The Rev. William Paul Masterson was born in Trenton, New Jersey, Oc-
tober 19, 1854. He was educated in St. Patrick's parish school, in the Cathedral
School and in La Salle College. He was ordained on the 3d of December, 1879,
by Bishop Shanahan in the Cathedral of Philadelphia. He celebrated his first
mass in the Cathedral on the 7th of December of that year. He was assistant
rector of the Annunciation church of Philadelphia for eleven years, and on the
31st of October, 1890, was appointed rector of the parish where he has since
remained, doing excellent work for the church in holding steady to the faith
the many parishioners in this part of the city.



ALEXANDER OWEN.



Faithfulness to the trusts reposed in him was characteristic of Alexander
Owen, who for eighteen consecutive years was in the employ of the Pennsylvania
Railroad Company in an important position. He was born in Philadelphia, De-
cember 26, 1853, and died in this city, June 18, 1897, when but forty-three years
of age. He was a son of William and Sarah (Fox) Owen. His father was a
native of Wales and his mother was born on shipboard while her parents were
en route for America.

Alexander Owen was indebted to the public-school system of Philadelphia
for the educational privileges which he enjoyed and which qualified him for life's
practical duties. After putting aside his text-books he entered the service of the




;KV. WILLIAM P. MASTEESON



t-.c (NlW YORK



AOVOR, LSMOX AMU



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 141

Pennsylvania Railroad Company and his ability and fidelity enabled him to work
his way upward, successive promotions being accorded him from time to time.
His service with the company covered eighteen years and brought him to a re-
sponsible position, the duties of which he discharged most capably.

In 1878 Mr. Owen married Miss Elizabeth Sopp of Philadelphia, a daughter
of Ernest W. Sopp, a shoe dealer of this city. They became parents of six
children, Alexander Ernest, Sarah Elizabeth, Mabel, Dorothy Sopp, Theodore
Sopp and Helen. The first named is now in the employ of the Pennsylvania Rail-
road Company. Mr. Owen was an Odd Fellow in his fraternal relations and a
Baptist in his religious faith. His political allegiance was given to the republi-
can party and he took a deep interest in citizenship, greatly desiring the progress
and improvement of his city. He never sought nor desired public office but among
his friends — and they were many — was held in high esteem by reason of his
genuine personal worth.



MEYER GUGGENHEIM.

Meyer Guggenheim, merchant and manufacturer, whose constructive genius



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 14 of 62)