Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 21 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 21 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mentioned above. At the conclusion of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Mr.
Sellers was informed by letter from the chief of the department of machinery
that he had been awarded a "Grand prize as collaborateur in recognition of your
(his) genius as a pioneer in the development in America of machine tools of the
highest class." This grand prize is a distinction awarded to a few of the most
distinguished men of science and is quite distinct from the awards given for
exhibits at the exposition. Since the death of Mr. Sellers an official card of
announcement of this award granted by the International Jury of Awards has
been received from the secretary of awards.

Mr. Sellers was a man of iron constitution and commanding presence, his
words were direct and forcible and his manner was gracious. His opinions
and counsel were sought in times of difficulty by men in all walks of life, and
his judgment was regarded as of the greatest value, not only in engineering mat-
ters but in civic and governmental aflfairs of importance. He never sought nor
accepted public office.

Soon after the visit of the Iron and Steel Institute of Great Britain to Phil-
adelphia in 1904, Mr. Sellers received the following letter: "We, the president,
council and members of the Iron and Steel Institute, desire to convey to WilHam
Sellers our sincere and cordial thanks for the very great personal services as-
siduously rendered with such exceeding kindness and marked courtesy to the
members of the Institute during their visit to the United States of America in
1904." Signed by the president, Andrew Carnegie, and others.

Several years ago the late Sir Joseph Whitworth said of William Sellers
in conversation that he was "the greatest mechanical engineer in the world."
This was a high tribute, indeed, for Sir Joseph Whitworth was himself one of
the leading mechanical engineers in the world.

Mr. Sellers' labors in connection with the Franklin Institute constituted but
one phase of his earnest and eflfective force whereby the public has been largely
a direct or an indirect beneficiary. His sympathies were entirely with the Fed-
eral government at the time of the Civil war and he did much toward molding
public opinion and in securing the enlistment of Union troops. He became one
of the charter members of the Union Club, organized by a few of the leading
patriotic citizens of Philadelphia and developed afterward into the Union League.
He was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of the Centennial Exhibition and
as one of the two vice presidents of its board of finance devoted so much at-
tention to his duties that those competent to speak upon the subject have largely



200 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

attributed the success of the exhibition to him. He served for thirty-seven years
as a trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and in many other ways gave
.tangible manifestation of his interest in projects and movements for the public
good. He was a commissioner of Fairmount Park from 1867 until 1872 and his
time, means and keen intelligence contributed to the successful outcome of
many municipal projects.

He was ever interested in scientific research and in 1864 became a member
of the Philosophical Society and of the Academy of Natural Science in 1873,
serving for many years on the finance committee. He was also connected with
various societies more directly representing his life work. He became a mem-
ber of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Institute of Mechanical Engineers
of Great Britain, the Iron and Steel Institute of Great Britain, a corresponding
member of the Societe d' Encouragement pour L' Industrie Nationale in Paris,
and at the close of the Paris Exposition in 1889 the decoration of Chevalier de
la Legion d' Honneur was conferred upon him. He was also a member of the
American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical En-
gineers, the Philadelphia Contributionship and numerous other associations.

The death of WiUiam Sellers occurred January 24, 1905, when he was in
his eighty-first year. He stood as a splendid example of the power of industry,
system, earnestness and thoroughness. Not only was he commander in the iron
and steel trade but of equal force and influence as a judge of men and a molder
of character. He left the impress of his individuality upon all with whom he
came in contact and by the force of his example and his influence gave an impetus
to mechanical engineering which constitutes an ineradicable chapter of its history.



THOMAS HAMILTON HOGE PATTERSON.

Thomas Hamilton Hoge Patterson was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania,
March i, 1849, ^ son of Joseph and Esther Holmes (Hoge) Patterson. His
great-grandfather, Robert Patterson, was born in Hillsborough, County Down,
Ireland. The grandfather. Rev. Joseph Patterson, was the fifth son of Robert
and Jane (Walker) Patterson, a granddaughter of Governor Walker of Lon-
donderry, Ireland, and was born at Ulster in the north of Ireland, March 20,
1752. The Rev. Joseph Patterson was the brother of Dr. Robert Patterson,
director of the United States mint and brigade major in the Revolutionary war.
He became a resident of Philadelphia in 1772 and until the Revolutionary war
devoted himself to educational work. He was one of those who listened to the
first public reading of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia. At the
outbreak of hostilities between the colonies and the mother country he entered
the army as a soldier and served until 1777, in which year he removed to York
county, Pennsylvania, where he again engaged in teaching. Two years later he-
went to what was then the wilderness of Washington county, Pennsylvania, which
was so sparsely settled that the inhabitants did not venture any distance from
their homes without the protection of firearms on account of the Indians. Being
of a profoundly religious spirit, he was encouraged in his desire to devote his-



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 201

life to the church by the presbytery of Redstone. After pursuing theological
studies under the Rev. Joseph Smith, he was licensed to preach in August, 1788,
and in April, 1789, received a call from the united churches of Raccoon ana
Montour's Run, Washington county, Pennsylvania. For twelve years he acted
as pastor of that church and then resigned. He was the first Presbyterian min-
ister ordained west of the Alleghany mountains and was one of the founders of
the Western Missionary Society. He was also extensively interested in the
academy at Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, now Washington and Jefferson College,
of which he served as a trustee. He is said to have preached the first sermon
to a congregation of white people north and west of the Ohio river, and he de-
livered altogether nearly twenty-six hundred sermons and lectures, thus sowing
broadcast the seeds of truth which brought rich fruit in the lives of many who
heard him. In 1802 he made a missionary tour to the Shawnee Indians on the
banks of the Miami river and in the course of his labors met the hardships and
privations incident to service on the frontier. He retired from pastoral labors
in 1816 and spent the remainder of his days in Pittsburg, where he died Feb-
ruary 4, 1832. He was married first on the 7th of February, 1772, to Miss Jane
Moak, of Irish Protestant family. She died February 4, 1808, and on the 9th
of May, 1812, he wedded Rebecca Leech, of Abington, Pennsylvania. His
children, all born of his first marriage, were Robert, Nancy, Benjamin, Martha,
Joseph, Jane, Samuel and Esther. The last two were twins.

The father of Thomas Hamilton Hoge Patterson, whose birth occurred near
Pittsburg, April 10, 1783, studied law in the office of Obadiah Jennings, of Steu-
benville, Ohio, and later abandoned the practice of law for commercial pursuits,
establishing and conducting a steam paper mill, which was the first one west of
the Alleghany mountains. In this he was quite successful, building up a business
of considerable proportions. It enabled him to invest largely in real estate on
the present site of Pittsburg, and through his operations in the realty field he
amassed a large fortune. On account of his many business interests, which de-
manded his attention, he refused the offer of a colonelcy in the war of 1812.
He was, however, in many ways identified with the public welfare, giving his
cooperation and aid to various projects that were factors in the upbuilding and
improvement of western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio. He was the builder
of the Western Theological Seminary and also of the St. Clair Hotel of Pitts-
burg, which at that time was the largest hotel in the west. He was likewise one
of the promoters of the Pennsylvania canal and the Portage Railroad, which
superseded the stage coach and the wagon of the early day, at the time the only
means of conveyance between Pittsburg and Philadelphia. The death of Joseph
Patterson occurred in Philadelphia in 1868, while his widow survived him until
the 9th of April, 1909, and died at the remarkable old age of one hundred and
two years. Their children were : Elizabeth Holmes ; Joseph Nelson, of New
York city; Jane and Mary, who died in childhood; Thomas H. H. of this review;
and Robert Wilson, of Pittsburg. Joseph Patterson's first wife was Jane Mc-
Crea, sister of John McCrea, shipping merchant of Philadelphia.

On the 8th of September, 1896, Thomas Hamilton Hoge Patterson was mar-
ried to Antoinette de Coursey, of Philadelphia, a descendant of Colonel Henry
de Courcey, who in 1654 sailed from England and became a resident of Queen



202 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Ann county, Maryland. The family trace their lineage to the most ancient no-
bility of Great Britain and Normandy. The first Lord Kingsale was the son
of Sir John Courcy, a valiant warrior of the time of Henry II.

Mr. Patterson is interested in various lines of research and is a patron of
the arts and sciences. He belongs to St. Andrew Society, Scotch-Irish Society,
the Pennsylvania Historic Society, the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania,
the Geographical Society of Washington, and the Philadelphia Society of Fine
Arts. His g'enerous support of many of these has been the salient feature in
their promotion.



FRANK RODMAN SHATTUCK.

Frank Rodman Shattuck, continuously engaged in the practice of law for a
quarter of a century, was born in Philadelphia, February 19, 1864, a son of
Francis E. and Mary (Colesberry) Shattuck. He comes of English extraction
in the paternal line and of Swedish ancestry on the mother's side. The history of
the Shattuck family is traced back to 1621, when representatives of the name
flourished in England. The first of the family to come to America made the
voyage across the Atlantic in 1630, settling in Watertown, Connecticut. The
Shattucks became land proprietors of that locality, were active in formulating
colonial history and were participants in the Revolutionary war. David Shat-
tuck, the great-grandfather of F. R. Shattuck, was a member of a Connecticut
regiment and was present when Washington took leave of his army. It is thus
that F. R. Shattuck is entitled to membership in the Colonial Society and in
the Sons of the Revolution. Francis E. Shattuck, engaging in business for many
years as a fire insurance adjuster, came to Philadelphia about 1867 and is
still quite active at the age of eighty-two years.

Educated in the public schools of this city, Frank R. Shattuck pursued his
studies to his graduation from the Central high school in the seventy-seventh
class, in 1881. In 1883 he matriculated in the law department of the University
of Pennsylvania and in 1885 was admitted to the bar. He has been engaged con-
tinuously in law practice to the present time, steadily winning that recognition
which is given ability, fidelity and earnest purpose. For fifteen years he has
been engaged particularly in fire insurance, telegraph and telephone law and is
accorded an extensive clientage in that connection. He is legal representative
in Pennsylvania for the Postal Telegraph Company and is connected in his pro-
fessional capacity with the Keystone Telephone Company and all other inde-
pendent telephone companies in Pennsylvania. He is vice president and direc-
tor of the Continental Telephone Company and a director of the Consolidated
Fire Alarm Telegraph Company of New York. He has also been connected
with the Pennsylvania Cold Storage and Market Company, which is the largest
concern of its kind in the state, since its organization in 1889. He is still a
director of that corporation and also a director of the D. B. Martin Company,
packers.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 203

In his practice Mr. Sliattuck has given his attention entirely to civil law
and has won notable success, the legal fraternity as well as the general public
acknowledging his ability and force as a representative of the bar. He has also
been a successful practitioner before the United States supreme court and for
nine years has been a member of the Philadelphia County board of law ex-
aminers of applicants for admission to the bar. He belongs to the Law Assc^-
ciation of Philadelphia and is a member of the law library committee — an elec-
tive office.

In 1886 Mr. Shattuck was married to Miss Ella Woodward of Philadelphia and
thev have two daughters: Mildred W., born in 1889; and Kathlyne M., in 1895.
The family are members of the First Presbyterian church and Mr. Shattuck
holds membership in the Art Club, the Germantown Cricket Club, the Racquet
Club, the Philadelphia Country Club, the Huntingdon Valley Country Club, the
Clover Club, the New England Society, the Sons of Delaware, the Colonial
Society and the Sons of the Revolution. His political support was given to the
democracy until 1896, when he joined the republican ranks. He was nomi-
nated by the democratic party in 1895 for city solicitor but failed of election
with the others on the ticket. His ambition in the line of political preferment,
however, has been but slight. He regards the practice of law as his real life
work and considers it a field abundantly worthy of his best efforts. His devo-
tion to his clients' interests is proverbial, his preparation of cases thorough and
painstaking and his presentation of his cause clear, forcible and convincing.



FRANZ DE MERLIER.

Franz de Merlier is numbered among those whose canvases are winning for
"America the distinction in art circles that has long been accorded to the old
world. Maintaining a studio in Philadelphia, his time is devoted to his work, in
which connection he has gained wide fame. He was born in Ghent, Belgium,
on the 28th of October, 1878, a son of Edouard and Elizabeth de Merlier. His
father was a musician of wide renown. The son was educated in Belgium, com-
pleting his course by graduation from the college at Bruges. His college days
over, he entered upon an apprenticeship in the famous lithographing establish-
ment of Van de Vyvere in Bruges and subsequently returned to his native city
to study art at the Royal Academy. Five years were devoted to the task of mas-
tering the principles which govern the finest art productions. Later he studied
art at Brussels, thence went to Paris and eventually came to the United States,
soon afterward opening a studio at Louisville, Kentucky.

The year 1902 witnessed his arrival in Philadelphia and he established an art
studio at No. 1305 Arch street. He soon won favor here, both through his per-
sonal qualities as well as his talent. His entire time is devoted to his art and
"Contemplation" and "La Vallee Dormante" are regarded as among his greatest
productions. Combined with the technique which he displays there is manifest
a deep sympathy for and understanding of the various phases of human nature
in form and color. Mr. de Alerlier has specialized in decorative colors and has



204 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

designed covers for magazines, including The Ultra Modern Style, The Camera
and musical magazines. He is now arranging for a private exhibit in Chicago
some time during the year 191 1. A young man whose life has not yet covered a
third of a century, Mr. de Merlier may well feel proud of what he has accom-
plished, for his labors have been a valuable contribution to the art work of Phila-
delphia. He is a member of the French Club and other literary and art
organizations.



BISHOP CYRUS DAVID FOSS.

Rev. Cyrus David Foss, one of the most widely known and highly honored
ministers of the Methodist Episcopal church, whose labors were a far-reaching
and potent force in the upbuilding of the denomination and the high and exalted
purpose for which it stands, was born in Kingston, New York, January 17,
1834, a son of the Rev. Cyrus and Jane (Campbell) Foss. The father was a
Methodist minister of the old school. The family numbered five sons and the
salary of an itinerant minister was scarcely adequate for their support, but both
father and mother made heroic effort and sacrificed to give their children such
physical, intellectual and moral training as might prepare them for the per-
formance of life's duties and the development of a noble, manly character. Each
in turn did well his part but none achieved the distinction that came to Bishop
Foss, whose work goes on in the lives of those who came under his teachings
and influence.

He attended Wesleyan University. His financial resources were extremely
limited, but close economy enabled him to continue in college to the comple-
tion of his course, and with the class of 1854 he was graduated. Sixteen years
later his alma mater conferred upon him the D. D. degree, while the degree
of LL. D. came from Cornell College of Iowa in 1879 and from the University
of Pennsylvania in 1889. Immediately after his graduation he was appointed to
the chair of mathematics in Amenia Seminary of New York and in 1856 was
elected principal of that school. He was in the meantime "growing in grace
and in the knowledge of God," and feeling that he was called to the ministry he
became a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1857. He received con-
ference appointment to the pastorate of the church at Chester, Orange county.
New York, where he remained until 1859, when he was transferred to the New
York east conference. His pastoral habits and preaching ability attracted the at-
tention of some of the leading churches of the state, and he was called to Brook-
lyn, New York, where he remained from 1859 until 1865, while during the suc-
ceeding ten years he occupied the principal pastoral charges in New York city.
He was a delegate to one of the most memorable general conferences known
to the church which met in Brooklyn in 1872 and was also a delegate to the
general conferences of 1876 and 1880. In 1878 he was fraternal delegate to the
general conference of the Methodist Episcopal church south, and in 1886 to the
British Wesleyan conference. In the meantime, in the year 1875, Dr. Foss was
elected president of Wesleyan University and for five years served its highest




CYRUS P. F08S



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 207

interests. He did a great work for that institution and was honored and re-
spected by all the members of the faculty and the students. Soon acknowledged
as a leader, he became conspicuous for his masterly methods and consummate
skill in administrative work. In 1880 he was elected one of the bishops of the
Methodist Episcopal church which, with singular devotion and fidelity, he served
in that capacity for thirty years.

In 1886 Dr. Foss went abroad, traveling quite extensively in Europe and vis-
iting the Methodist Episcopal missions. He was also in Mexico in 1893 and
visited India and Malaysia as official representative of the church in 1897-8.
In the fall of 1906 he started on a trip around the world, spending the winter
months in visiting missions and otherwise investigating the work of the church.
He was a man of broad scholarly attainments to whom a recognized need or op-
portunity was a call to duty.

At the time of his death Dr. Samuel W. Thomas, long a close personal
friend of Bishop Foss, wrote: "For the last five years he has been in labor
abundant, sometimes greater than his bodily strength would indicate. With a
heroism born of a holy ambition to get the best results out of life he overwrought,
but never undervalued, his opportunity. He was a particular star in that galaxy
of the great men in church and state. As an expounder of the word of God
he was confessedly of extraordinary ability. As a scholar he ranked among the
best. As an administrator of church affairs he was keenly alive to the interests
of the church and community at large. His high conscientiousness sometimes
drew the line to what some thought severity, though his disposition was kindly
and compassionate. He, however, was inflexible and could not be induced to
swerve to the right or left, but had the courage of his convictions, which often
brought him up against the most delicate and trying conditions. Jealousy, partial-
ity or favoritism was foreign to his nature. He formed some very strong friend-
ships. He took men at their worth and weighed them in a very even scale. He
shaped much of the legislation of general conferences. His hand was ever on
the helm and his eagle eye penetrated into deepest designs, especially those of
impending danger, and with surprising skill he turned aside the shaft. He dwelt
in the shadow of death, frequently. His vitality was amazing, as was his grip on
life, for he much desired to live and take his full part in the interests of his
fellowmen. His tactfulness served him well when he in company with Bishop
Whitaker and Archbishop Ryan conciliated and harmonized the views of both
the striking trolleymen and the company, bringing great relief to the community
at large. He had reached his seventy-sixth year on January 17, in his usual
health, but when least expected he was again stricken with paralysis, affecting
his entire right side. What the result may be none can tell, but in any event,
living or dying, he's the Lord's, and should he die it can be truly said a great
prince in Israel has been crowned a victor over death and his unblemished and
glorious record will become more luminous as the years go by. It may be said of
him what Channing so well said:

'Thou art not idle in thy higher sphere.

My spirit bends itself to loving tasks.

And strength to perfect what is darkest

Is all the crown and glory that it asks.' "



208 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

In 1856 Dr. Foss was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Bradley, of Salis-
bury, Connecticut, and following her demise he was married in 1865 to Miss
Amelia Robertson, of Peekskill, New York. Four children survived him, a son
and three daughters. The family home was established in Philadelphia in 1888
and through the intervening years to the time of his death, Bishop Foss was in
close contact with the civic, religious and social affairs of the city, being at all
times an inspiring force in the tangible and practical efforts which were put



OLIVER ALBERT JUDSON, M. D.

A connoisseur of art, a devotee of music, Dr. Oliver Albert Judson was also
made of that sterner stuff which enabled him to face the horrors and hardships
of war when as army surgeon he utilized his talents and ability in the field of
medical and surgical science for the service of the country. Bom on the 28th
of September, 1830, in Connecticut, he was a son of Rev. Albert Judson, D. D.,
a minister of the Presbyterian church. His mother was Mary (Burnham)
Judson, and the family numbered three children : Oliver A. ; William F., an
attorney; and Emily.

Determining upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he supplemented
his specifically literary course by study in the Jefferson Medical College and is
numbered among its alumni of 1851. Immediately thereafter he entered upon
active practice and his skill and ability had won him recognition ere the outbreak
of the Civil war. Soon after the inauguration of hostilities between the north
and the south he was commissioned brigade surgeon of the United States Vol-
unteers and went at once to the scene of hostilities as staff surgeon with the
army of the Potomac. He served successively at the headquarters of Generals
Nagle, Hooker, Casey, Groves, Peck and Emery. He proved at the seven days'
battle in front of Richmond that he was ready for any emergency, making a
splendid record there when day after day the wounded were brought in from
that field of carnage. The winter of 1861-62 was spent at Budd's Ferry and
in September of the latter year he was assigned to the Carver Hospital in Wash-
ington, where he remained until the close of the war. He was in charge of the



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 21 of 62)