Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 22 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 22 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


administrative department as superintendent of the hospital, where he showed
marked ability as an organizer and in surgical practice. In November, 1865, he
resigned and was afterward brevetted lieutenant colonel, while later he was made
colonel of the United States Volunteers by brevet. His constitution was hope-
lessly undermined by exposure and overwork in camp and hospital during the
war and his semi-invalid condition in later life led him to spend much of his
time in European travel. He did not enter business after the war but lived re-
tired and, having ample means to follow his fancy, he indulged his love for art
and music in the centers of Europe, where those things have reached their high-
est state. He was a connoisseur of art and many of his most pleasant hours were
passed in the galleries of the old world or in the temples of music where the
finest work of the composers was heard.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 209

Dr. Judson was united in marriage April 19, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Boyce,
of Washington, D. C, a daughter of William M. and Mary (McEuen) Boyce,
the latter a daughter of Thomas McEuen, an early resident of Philadelphia.
Dr. and Mrs. Judson were parents of two sons and a daughter, OHver Boyce,
Charles Francis and Mary. Both sons are graduates of Harvard and the for-
mer is also a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania law school, while the
latter completed the course in the medical department of the same.

Dr. Judson was for many years a vestryman in St. Stephen's Protestant
Episcopal church. He held membership in many societies and organizations for
scientific research, for the promotion of art and also those purely of a social
nature. His membership was with the Loyal Legion, the Sons of the American
Revolution, the Rittenhouse Club, the Pennsylvania Historical Society, the Re-
form Club and the Social Art Club. He was also a fellow of the College of
Physicians, a member of the Academy of Natural Science, one of the directors
of the Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, consulting physi-
cian at Blockley Hospital and one of the managers of the Children's Hospital.
His broad humanitarianism prompted active and resultant cooperation with many
organized charities and benevolent institutions. His life, unrestricted by the
demand for continuous and absorbing effort in the field of business, his interests
went out into the vast reaches of knowledge and of art and touched the general
interests of society through the investigation of sociological and economic con-
ditions, while his nature also found expression in his highly developed and dis-
criminating taste in music and the arts. His death occurred March 30, 1898.



REV. BERNARD DORNHEGE.

Rev. Bernhard Dornhege is pastor of St. Elisabeth's parish of Philadelphia
and in this connection is doing important work to further Catholic interests in the
locality in which he labors. He came to America from Westphalia, Germany,
with Archbishop Wood in September, 1867, making his way direct to Philadel-
phia, after which he entered St. Charles Seminary at Eighteenth and Race streets.
He was ordained to the priesthood on the 5th of April, 1869, by Archbishop Wood
and he is the only priest now living who was ordained on that date with the ex-
ception of Rev. Dr. Luke McCabe. Originally there were seven students who were
together in the same class of theology in St. Charles Seminary. His ordination
took place at the cathedral from St. Charles Seminary, which was then located at
Eighteenth and Race streets and which is now located at Overbrook. His first
charge was at St. Clair, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, where he remained for
three years and three months, when he was transferred to his present pastorate
at St. Elisabeth's church in July, 1872. He has here been located for more than
thirty-eight years and the growth and development of the Catholic religion in this
part of the city is attributable in very large measure to his efforts and his ability
to secure the cooperation of the members of the parish. When the parish was
organized no streets were laid out in this district. A chapel was built in the fall
of 1872 and dedicated on Christmas day. It was a combination of school and



210 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

church. The corner stone of the present house of worship was laid in 1883 and
the church basement was completed and dedicated on Christmas day of 1884.
When Father Domhege began work here there were but six people who were
members of the church and were present at the celebration of solemn high mass
on Christmas day of 1872. The church has steadily grown in numbers and has
made rapid advance spiritually as well as numerically. The property is now
worth about six hundred thousand dollars and has nearly all been paid for, there
being only a small indebtedness. The cost of conducting the church and its sub-
sidiary interests is about twenty thousand dollars per year. In 1903 a school
building was erected at a cost of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars.
It is built of granite and is the finest school building in Philadelphia. It is a fire-
proof structure, the corridors being of cement and the floors and roof of steel
construction throughout. There is a large auditorium on the third floor with a
seating capacity of one thousand and six and a second hall is in the basement.
There are various pool rooms, reading rooms and a number of meeting rooms for
the diff^erent societies of the church. The building has four stories and a base-
ment, and on top of the building is a roof court. In 1908 the church was re-
modeled and improvements made both in the interior and on the exterior. It
was replastered and refrescoed, marble wainscoting was installed and marble
tiling placed in the aisles, and the entire building is now lighted by electricity. All
this has wrought a wonderful transformation and improvement in the church.
The church has a good organ and a splendid male choir of eighty boys and twenty
men. The church building is erected of granite, the parish house of brick with
stone front and the parish property also includes two houses which are rented.
The three assistant pastors are Rev. Michael Brady, Rev. John E. Bradley
and Rev. Alexander B. McKay, D. D. In charge of the school there are four male
teachers — Christian Brothers — and twenty-four Sisters of St. Francis, while the
attendance numbers fourteen hundred pupils. Five parishes have been formed
out of the original parish and the work of the church is continually growing in
extent and importance.



EDWARD BOWMAN LEAF.

The splendid success which made Edward Bowman Leaf one of the most
prominent representatives of business interests in Philadelphia came to him
largely as the result of the fact that he always continued in the line in which
he embarked at the outset of his career, never dissipating his energies over a
wide and varied field, but concentrating his forces upon the successful accom-
plishment of what he undertook in connection with the iron and steel business.
Thus he gradually advanced step by step and with definite aim and resolute pur-
pose pushed forward to the goal of prosperity, which is the legitimate reward
of all earnest and persistent endeavor.

He was born at Pottstown, Pennsylvania, on the 3d of March, 1866, and,
although he came to be ranked as one of the prominent business men of Phila-
delphia, passed away November 23, 1910, when but forty-four years of age. His




K. B. lp:af



,ENEV/TOPT



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 213

father was the Rev. Edmund Leaf and liis early home training was such as
awakened in him principles of honorable manhood that bore fruit in all his later
life. He had been well trained along educational lines, for after attending the
Hill School at Pottstown, Pennsylvania, he became a student at Yale. His
initial business experience was as a member of the firm of Potts & Leaf of
Philadelphia, and his association with that house was uninterrupted until 1900,
when he left and organized the E. B. Leaf Company, of which he was president
until his death. He was also president of the Spring City Bloom Works and a
director of the Longmead Iron Company, of Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.

On the loth of October, 1894, was celebrated the marriage of Edward B.
Leaf and Miss Elizabeth Trenchard, of Bridgeton, New Jersey. They became
parents of two daughters, Harriet Clay and Frances Trenchard.

Mr. Leaf was a member of St. Mary's church of West Philadelphia, of the
Pennsylvania Historical Society, the University Club and the Merion Cricket
Club, and his political allegiance was given to the republican party. He never
sought nor desired the honors or emoluments of office, however, but preferred
to concentrate his energies upon his iron and steel interests and, being a man
of acceptable and superior business ability, advanced to a position of prominence.



JOSEPH ALLISON STEINMETZ.

Joseph Allison Steinmetz, of the firm of Janney, Steinmetz & Company, iron
and steel merchants and engineers of materials at Fourth and Market streets
in Philadelphia, was born in this city, March 22, 1870. His father, John Stein-
metz, who died in 1877, was the grandson of John Steinmetz, signer of the "Non-
importation Resolutions" of 1765, which document was the forerunner of the
Declaration of Independence. The father and grandfather of Joseph A. Stein-
metz were both connected with the iron and steel business in Philadelphia. The
mother of Joseph A. Steinmetz bore the maiden name of Frances Morris Janney.
She is a native of Philadelphia, where she still resides, and is a descendant of
Thomas Janney, a companion of William Penn and the first minister of the
Society of Friends in Pennsylvania. In the maternal line Mr. Steinmetz is also
descended from Dr. Thomas Wynne, who came to America with William Penn
on the ship Welcome and ministered to the officers, crew and passengers on that
vessel when smallpox broke out on the voyage. Mr. Steinmetz is likewise a
descendant of Anthony Morris, who was William Penn's counselor, and of John
Cadwalader of the Welsh colony in Pennsylvania. Through the Steinmetz fam-
ily he is connected with the Kepelles and the Wistars.

Joseph A. Steinmetz is indebted to the public school system for the early
educational privileges which he enjoyed. After mastering the elementary
branches of learning he attended the Central high school and subsequently pur-
sued a special course in Lehigh University in metallurgy, having chosen as his
special life work the use and application of the metal aluminum in the arts and
sciences. He received his early business training with the firm of Thomas H.
Parvin & Company, iron and steel merchants of Philadelphia, and remained with



214 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA^

them for some time or until about 1893, when he joined Joseph A. Janney, Jr.,
in a partnership that has since been maintained under the present firm name of
Janney, Steinmetz & Company. In the field in which they have operated they
have built up an extensive business and the house sustains an unassailable repu-
tation. They have recognized that the excellence of their products and the
promptness and efficiency of the service of the house are the chief elements in
success and are meeting requirements in these particulars, and they have been
enabled to develop their trade, the extension of which has placed them with the
leading iron and steel specialties merchants of Philadelphia. Aside from his
connection with the iron and steel business Mr. Steinmetz is an officer and di-
rector in many corporations which profit by his valuable counsel and business
discrimination. Moreover, he has given particular study to the future develop-
ment and improvement of the Delaware and Schuylkill water fronts in Phila-
delphia and has closely investigated the possibilities of progress and improve-
ment in other ways leading to the further growth and expansion of Philadelphia
and her trade interests.

On the 7th of January, 1903, Mr. Steinmetz was married to Miss Oma F.
Fields, a daughter of Judge Fields, of Colorado Springs, Colorado. They have
become the parents of two children : Joseph Janney, born in 1905 ; and Frances
Margaret, born in 1909.

Aside from business connections Mr. Steinmetz has figured prominently in
public affairs in many ways. He was one of the organizers of the Naval Militia
of Pennsylvania and for seven years was actively identified with that organiza-
tion, rising to the commission of paymaster. During the Spanish-American
war he acted as recruiting officer for a Battalion of Engineers with office in
Philadelphia and afterward became detailed for Red Cross relief work in Cuba.
He immediately took an active part in gathering up and caring for reconcen-
trado orphans, which work was concluded under the direction of Miss Clara
Barton, assisted by the Associate Society of the Red Cross of Philadelphia.
Since his return from Cuba Mr. Steinmetz has been active in Red Cross work
and during the several years in which President Taft has been head of the Red
Cross Society Mr. Steinmetz has held the position of secretary for Pennsylvania,
and at the present writing he is chairman of Philadelphia Red Cross. A spirit
of benevolence and broad humanitarianism has prompted his active work in this
connection and in other relations whereby his fellowmen have been benefited.
He has ever been interested in historical research and in the perpetuation of the
memory of those who have taken an active part in formulating and shaping the
history of the nation. He belongs to the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the
Revolution, the Colonial Society of Pennsylvania, the Historical Society, the
Welcome Society, the Down Town Club, the Philadelphia Cricket Club, the
Aero Club of America, and for many years has been a trustee of the Fairmount
Art Association. Numerous patents of wide application have been granted him
for mechanical devices. He is greatly interested in stamp collecting and has
one of the largest and finest collections in the country. His interests, travels and
activities are sufficiently wide and varied as to make him a man of well rounded
and well balanced character. While in business life he has carefully directed his
interests so as to attain a high measure of success, he has readily recognized the



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 215

responsibilities and obligations of wealth and, appreciative of his duty toward
his fellowmen, he has put forth a helping hand, not only in organized effort, but
also in private charity, prompted only by a recognition of need and a desire to
alleviate suffering.



HENRY LIGHT REINHOLD, Jr.

Henry Light Reinhold, Jr., is a practicing architect of wide experience who
has for many years labored persistently and conscientiously to encourage a de-
mand for the higher architectural ideas. He has been conspicuous for his splen-
did work in the designing, planning and building of suburban and city homes as
well as in the planning and construction of business, manufacturing and
office buildings of every description and of public buildings of every
ing and office buildings of every description and of public buildings of every
character. He has been one of the leading exponents of the "home beautiful"
and a sturdy opponent of the meaningless eccentricities that at times appear in
architecture. Many of the handsome homes in and near Philadelphia bear evi-
dence of his rare artistic judgment and as an architect he needs no introduc-
tion to the readers of this volume.

Philadelphia numbers Mr. Reinhold among her native sons, his birth having
here occurred June 27, 1869. He comes from old Pennsylvania German stock
of Lebanon and Lancaster counties. His father, Henry L. Reinhold, was born
in Lebanon county and when twenty-one years of age became a resident of Phil-
adelphia. For over fifty years he has been associated with Joel J. Bailey &
Company and the Joel J. Bailey-Davis Company, dry goods and notions. He
married Mary Emma Coffin, of one of the old families of Pennsylvania who
were very prominent in New England in Revolutionary war times.

Henry L. Reinhold, Jr., attended the public schools of his native city, from
which he was graduated with the class of 1886. He continued his studies in a
private school, his course embracing the study of architecture, and at different
periods he was a student at the Dre.xel Institute, the Spring Garden Institute and
the Public School of Industrial Art. During his last year at the latter in-
stitution he was instructor in wood carving and at different times he has done
important work as an educator, acting also as student instructor in drawing,
modeling and wood carving at the Saturday morning class of the Ladies' Deco-
rative Art Society and serving for one year in Colonel Johnson's Art Studio on
Liberty (now Sansom) street. After three years devoted to pattern-making he
entered the drafting rooms of the Novelty Iron Works of Philadelphia, where
he remained for four years, when he became connected with the Petit Iron Com-
pany of Philadelphna as superintendent of their building and construction de-
partment. During these years he gained a vast amount of knowledge concern-
ing iron and steel construction, both theoretical and practical, which has been of
incalculable value to his clients as well as to himself. After several years with
the Petit Company Mr. Reinhold entered the office of a prominent architect
and in 1895 he became a member of the firm of Schermerhom & Reinhold. This



216 ^ HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

firm subsequently succeeded to the practice of the late Stephen D. Button, one
of the pioneers of up-to-date architecture in Philadelphia. Mr. Reinhold de-
voted his time exclusively to the designing and planning of buildings and the
best evidence of his success in this direction is in the fact that a large number
of contracts won in competition were awarded upon his plans. In 1901 he with-
drew from this firm and resumed the private practice of his profession in which
his success has been marked. He makes a specialty of public buildings such as
courthouses, town halls, fire houses and especially school buildings. He has
also designed numerous hotels, apartment houses and college buildings. He is
a resident of Ardmore, Montgomery county, and has always taken a deep interest
in the business affairs and the public welfare of his county. When the proposi-
tion for a new county courthouse was first brought forward it was determined
that a Montgomery county man should be selected to prepare plans and the honor
was conferred upon Mr. Reinhold, who at that time was junior partner of the
firm of Schermerhorn & Reinhold. The courthouse at Norristown has been
completed according to his plans. It is classical in style and is perhaps the most
notable evidence of his skill in the designing of public edifices. Every feature
of the plans and designs was his personal exclusive work and his original plans
were accepted and approved by the board of judges of Montgomery county,
the bar association and the county commissioners. Mr. Reinhold is now com-
pleting the library building, the divinity school, graded school, boys' dormitory,
dining hall and power plant at Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania. He is also making
a specialty of reinforced concrete buildings, having just completed a large manu-
facturing plant for the Bateman Manufacturing Company at Brenloch, New
Jersey. He has likewise designed a number of bank and trust company buildings,
together with Young Men's Christian Association buildings, store and office
buildings and churches. He has likewise done considerable designing of dairy
and other farm buildings, built along scientific principles. He does a great deal
of expert work in and out of court along lines of general construction and handles
considerable engineering work. He has made it a rule never to lose sight of the
utility and economical phases of architecture in his quest for the artistic and
never overlooks the commercial interests of his clients. In addition to his pro-
fession he is connected with the First National Bank of Ardmore, having been
one of the prime movers and chairman in its organization and now one of its
directors.

Mr. Reinhold was married at Altoona, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of March,
1902, to Miss Margaret Gwin Riley, a daughter of Andrew J. Riley, of Altoona,
and a great-granddaughter of Michael Hilligas, founder of the Bank of North
America of Philadelphia, and first treasurer of the United States. Mr. and Mrs.
Reinhold have four children : Andrew Gwin, Margaret Riley, Henry L., Ill, and
Richard Hilligas, aged respectively eight, seven, five and three years.

Mr. Reinhold is known in military circles, having been one of the organizers
of the Second Troop, Philadelphia City Cavalry, with which he served for ten
weeks during the great anthracite miners' strike of 1902. He belongs to all of
the Masonic bodies, including the Mystic Shrine, and is a member of the Bene-
volent and Protective Order of Elks. He is interested in civic affairs and is a
director of the Lower Merion Civic Organization of Montgomery county. He



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 217

also belongs to the First Presbyterian cliurch of Arihnore, in the work of which
he is very active, serving as president of the Bible class. He was one of the or-
ganizers of the Young Men's Christian Association at Ardmore and since its
establishment has served as one of its directors and is now vice president. In
strictly professional lines he is connected with the American Institute of Archi-
tects, the I'hiladelphia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, the
T Square Club of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Sketch Club. He has hardly
yet reached the prime of life yet has established himself in a position among
the foremost architects of Philadelphia, the simple weight of his character and
ability carrying him into important professional relations.



JAMES C. STIRK, M. D.

Liberal preparation in America, supplemented by comprehensive study abroad,
has qualified James C. Stirk for a life of extreme usefulness in the practice of
medicine, and he has won wide recognition by his successful attainments in this
field in Philadelphia. He was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1869.
His father, George W. Stirk, a native of Lancaster, was engaged for about thirty
years in the business of pattern making for machinery, following that pursuit both
in his native city and in Lancaster. He died in 1895 at the age of sixty-nine years.
His wife, who bore the maiden name of Helen Cafifrey, was born in Lancaster,
Pennsylvania, and is now living with her son, Dr. Stirk, at the advanced age of
eighty-one years. The family numbered two sons, the older son being John F.
Stirk, representative at Los Angeles, California, for the United States Glass Com-
pany of Pittsburg.

Dr. Stirk pursued his education in the public schools of Philadelphia and
afterward entered Hahnemann Medical College in 1888, completing a three years'
course by graduation with the class of 1891. He was resident physician at the
Children's Homeopathic Hospital for eighteen months, after which he engaged
in general practice at No. 4700 Chester avenue, in Philadelphia, where he re-
mained until 1902, when he went abroad, spending two years in travel and study
and research. He acquainted himself with some of the advanced methods of the
most eminent members of the medical profession of the old world and with
broader knowledge, resulting in greater facility in practice, he returned to Phila-
delphia in 1904 and once more opened an office. He does not specialize and yet
his practice has to a considerable extent been confined to the treatment of dis-
eases of the heart, lungs, kidneys and stomach, for his efforts along those lines
have been attended with splendid success. He keeps in touch with the advanced
thought of the profession through his membership with the American Institute
of Homeopathy and the Philadelphia County Medical Society.

In 1896 Dr. Stirk was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Ivins, who died in January,
1909. He resides at No. 1437 North Fifteenth street and is well known socially
as well as professionally in Philadelphia. He attends the Presbyterian church,
holds membership in the Union League Club and the Philadelphia Country and
Golf Club and gives his political support to the republican party although he is



218 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

not an active worker in its ranks. Extensive travel has given him the ease and
culture of a man who knows the world and his friends, who are many, find him
a genial, companionable gentleman, while his contemporaries in the professional



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 22 of 62)