Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 28 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 28 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


institution work, power plant installations and engineering in all of its branches.
Prominent among the structures which have been erected by this firm are the
Peoples Trust Company building, the Plaza apartments, Beth Israel synagogue,
and the sanitarium for consumptives at Eagleville, Pennsylvania, comprising
fourteen buildings. They were also associated architects on the new building
for the Packard Motor Company and laid out the new Star Garden park for
the city of Philadelphia. Mr. Sauer is also a director of various building and
loan associations.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 269

He is a member of the T Square Club, the leading architects ckib of Phila-
delphia, in which he has been active and prominent, serving as its treasurer for
three years. He belongs to the Pow Wow Club, a local literary organization,
is a fellow of the Academy of Fine Arts and a member of the Manufacturers
Club. He also belongs to University Lodge, No. 6io, A. F. & A. M., and his
political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has come to be largely
recognized as authority upon questions under discussion by the profession and
has made valuable contributions to professional literature, his writings includ-
ing papers on the Architect and the Modern Synagogue and the American Arch-
itect and the Public. He expresses himself clearly, concisely and logically, and
his views have awakened wide interest.



CHARLES SPITTALL WALTON.

Charles Spittall Walton, president and director of what is today one of the
oldest leather houses of Philadelphia and a prominent figure in the financial
circles of the city through his connection with many important corporate in-
terests, was here born on the i6th of April, 1862, a son of Charles D. and
Henrietta (Spittall) Walton. He is a descendant of Daniel Walton, who settled
in Philadelphia over two hundred years ago, or several years before the arrival
of William Penn.

His education was completed in the University of Pennsylvania, where he
won the Bachelor of Science degree in 1882, having mastered the course in
mining engineering. Throughout his business career he has been connected
with the extensive leather house of England, Walton & Company and advance-
ment through various positions in connection with the business has brought him
to the presidency. The business was established prior to the Civil war and
the present company are successors to the original firm of England & Bryan.
Mr. Walton has largely devoted his energies to the upbuilding and expansion
of the trade and has given to it the benefit of sound business judgment and keen
discrimination. Into many other fields he has also extended his efforts and is
vice president and director of the Central Trust & Savings Company, treasurer
and director of the Tanners' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and a director
of the Union National Bank, the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company, the
Employers Indemnity Company and the American Baptist Publication Society.
The value of his opinions is regarded so highly that his cooperation has been
sought in connection with these different business interests and the policy which
he inaugurates or advocates is usually that which leads to success.

On the nth of May, 1887, in Philadelphia, Mr. Walton was united in mar-
riage to Miss Martha England, a daughter of Thomas Y. England. Their chil-
dren are four in number; Thomas E., Martha, Charles S., Jr., and Joseph W.

Mr. and Mrs. A\'alton hold membership in the Baptist church, in the work
of which they are actively and helpfully interested, cooperating in many move-
ments to promote the growth and extend the influence of the church. Mr.
Walton is serving as a member of the executive committee of the American



270 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Baptist Publication Society and was especially interested in the campaign of
the Young Men's Christian Association to raise the required sum of money for
the erection of the new association building. He is one of the directors of the
local body and his cooperation has been of large value in the important work
of the society for the development of Christian manhood. His political alle-
giance is given to the republican party and he holds membership in the Colonial
Society, the Union League and the Manufacturers Club. A broad-minded man,
whose keen intellect has been guided by high principles for the benefit of his
fellowmen, he occupies a prominent place in the regard and honor of his fellow
citizens.



ROLAND S. MORRIS.



Active in the practice of law, in the management of financial interests and in
the promotion of charitable work, Roland S. Morris is well known as a repre-
sentative of one of the oldest Philadelphia families, although born in Olympia,
Washington, on the nth of March, 1874. His father, Thomas B. Morris, a na-
tive of this city, died November 8, 1885, at the age of forty-three years, leaving
Roland S. Morris as the oldest representative of the family in Philadelphia. He
is a direct descendant of Anthony Morris, who, together with Logan and Shippen,
assisted Penn in the establishment of the city and became second mayor of Phil-
adelphia. Another of the ancestors of a later generation was Captain Samuel
Morris, who organized and led the Philadelphia City Troup during the Revolu-
tion.

The professional training of Roland S. Morris was received in the law de-
partment of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in
1899, having already completed the classical course in that institution in 1896.
For eleven years he was closely associated with the Philadelphia bar and is now
a member of the firm of Duane, Morris & Heckscher. While he entered practice
in competition with many men long and well established in the profession, his
record is another proof of that fact that ability will win recognition anywhere,
for gradually he has worked his way upward, the records indicating his active
connection with much important litigation. Moreover, he is a director of a num-
ber of corporations, including the Philadelphia Contribution Ship, the oldest and
richest fire insurance company in the United States.

His interests are of a cosmopolitan character, for he is recognized as a leader
in political circles, a promoter of charitable and church work and a prominent
club man. He has labored earnestly and effectively in support of democracy in
Philadelphia and the state since age conferred upon him the right of franchise.
He has been active in the management of charitable institutions and is a director
and secretary of the Philadelphia City Mission and a vestryman of Old St.
Stephen's church. Moreover, he is a welcome visitor to the club rooms of var-
ious prominent club organizations, in which he holds membership, including the
Philadelphia, Racquet, University and Barge Clubs. He is a member of the
Society of Colonial Wars, president of the Democratic Club and a member of the
various bar associations.




ROLAXU S. MOHKIS



^THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC L18HARY



TILDeĀ« F&UNDA.TK5N8,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 273

Mr. Morris was married in 1903 to Miss Augusta Shippen West, a grand-
daughter of the late Edward Shippen, and they have two children. Mr. and
Mrs. Morris hold membership in St. Stephen's Episcopal church and are prom-
inent factors in the leading social circles of the city, both being representatives
of old and honored pioneer families here.



FREDERICK M. LEONARD.

Frederick M. Leonard, lawyer, of Philadelphia, was born in Massachusetts,
July 24, 1857, the son of Moses Hayden and Harriet Eliza (Moore) Leonard.
He prepared for college at Williston Seminary during the principalship of
Marshall Henshaw, and in the form in which were included also Washington
B. Thomas, of Boston; Charles O. Brewster and Cleveland H. Dodge, of New
York; and John V. Farwell, Jr., of Chicago. Subsequently he graduated from
Harvard College, in the class of 1879. His college chums were successively:
Robert P. Clapp, the witty and well known Boston lawyer, who had also been
one of his schoolmates at Williston ; Albert S. Brandeis, the general solicitor of
the Louisville & Nashville railroad ; and William B. de las Casas, creator of the
Metropolitan park system of Boston and for many years chairman of the park
commission. Entering the law department of the University of Pennsylvania
in 1880, Mr. Leonard planned and cooperated with others in the establishment
of the Sharswood Law Club, secured the preservation and publication of the
lectures of the distinguished lawyers who were then the lecturers to the school,
and upon graduation in 1882 delivered the law oration and was admitted to
practice in the courts of Pennsylvania. Afterward on motion of William H.
Taft he was admitted to the bar of the supreme court of the United States.
Beside contributing to many law publications he assisted J. I. Clark Hare and
William Henry Rawle in the compilation, revision and publication of their legal
works and was from its inception the Philadelphia editor of the series of Penn-
sylvania County Court Reports.

Throughout his practice he has been especially identified as a lawyer with
the organization, extension and operation of transportation, mining and manu-
facturing undertakings, beginning with fifteen years of the early development
of the Norfolk & Western Railroad system and the Pocahontas coal field, when
he was the assistant general solicitor for the railroad, in association with Joseph
I. Doran as solicitor, and under the successive presidencies of Frederick J. Kim-
ball and Henry Fink. During that period the railroad was constructed over
the Alleghanies and across the Ohio river. It was the period of the awakening
of southern industry. Subsequently, in general practice, Mr. Leonard has
for many years had as his law partner Albert B. Weimer. Their professional
library is a notable collection.

In politics Mr. Leonard is a republican but has never been a candidate for
public office. He is a member of the Rittenhouse, University and Art Clubs,
the Corinthian Yacht Club, the Law Association of Philadelphia, the x-Vmerican
Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and many other societies, etc.



274 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

The wife of Mr. Leonard, Mathilde Irvin, is through her father descended
from early Pennsylvania and Virginia families and on her mother's side (Car-
dot) is of Norman French descent. In Mr. Leonard's own origin are counted
John Leonard, of Springfield, the founder of the family in America, who was
killed by the Indians in King Philip's war (1676); the Mayflower Pilgrims,
Brewster and Hopkins ; and members of those families whose names, like Wins-
low and Prence, belong to the story of the Plymouth colony, or like Dunster
and Willard, to the beginnings of Harvard College, or like Willcockson, Hay-
den, Winchel, Adams, Kent, Griswold, Phelps and Sears, to the intimate his-
tory of the establishment, defense, government and growth of those numerous
communities of colonists which now form the greater part of Massachusetts,
Rhode Island and Connecticut.



GEORGE C. KIEFFER, M. D.

Dr. George C. Kiefifer, well known in hospital and private practice, was born
in Philadelphia, July 10, 1878. His father. Colonel Lorenzo M. Kieffer, who
was born in Schwabsang, Luxemburg, and came to America in 1835, was a son
of Mathias Kieffer, mayor of the city of Luxemburg. He married Emma Kolb,
a native of Philadelphia and a daughter of Sebastian Kolb, whose father, Se-
bastian Kolb, Sr., was a son of Jeremiah Kolb, a first lieutenant of the Second
South Carolina Infantry in the Revolutionary war. Lorenzo M. Kieffer during
his active service in the Union army in the Civil war rose to the rank of colonel.
His death occurred in May, 1910, in Luxemburg. Four of his sons were also
identified with the military interests of the country, including Major Charles F.
Kieffer of the Medical Corps, U. S. A., now deceased; First Lieutenant Pierre
Victor Kieffer, of the Coast Artillery Corps, U. S. A.; Cadet Philip James
Kieffer, of the United States Military Academy at West Point; and George
C, of this review, who was first lieutenant of the Medical Reserve Corps,
U. S. A.

Dr. Kieffer, whose name introduces this record, is a graduate of the Roman
Catholic high school of the class of 1896. The Bachelor of Arts degree was
conferred upon him in 1898, the Master of Arts in 1902. In the meantime he
had taken up the study of medicine and was graduated from the Jefferson
Medical College of Philadelphia in 1900. He was chief resident physician of
St. Mary's Hospital in 1900 and 1901 ; chief of the dispensary at the Polyclinic
Hospital from 1902 until 1908; chief of dispensary at St. Mary's Hospital from
1903 until 1907; and visiting chief at St. Mary's Hospital since 1907. He is
a thorough and discriminating student of matters relative to his profession and
his successful work has won him wide recognition and well earned fame.

On the 9th of January, 1907, in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, Dr. Kieffer was
united in marriage to Miss M. Juanita King, a daughter of Hon. Charles F.
King. She was born at San Antonio, Brazil, in 1878, while her father was
engaged in the attempt to construct a railroad from that place to Bolivia in
association with Colonel Church. She was the first white child born three thou-



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 275

sand miles inland in Brazil. Dr. and Mrs. Kieffer now have two children,
Juanita King and Charles Mathias.

In politics Dr. Kieffer is independent and his military experience embraces
service as first lieutenant of the Medical Reserve Corps, U. S. A. He holds
membership in the Nu Sigma Nu, a medical fraternity, the Association of Mili-
tary Surgeons, the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, the County Medical
Society, and the American Medical Association. He also belongs to the Medical
Club, the United Service Club and the Anny and Navy Club.



JACOB FREDERICK NASCHOLD.

Jacob Frederick Naschold, an architect of Philadelphia, is numbered among
the men of foreign birth who Ijave found in the freedom of this great and grow-
ing western world the opportunities for business development and the attainment
of success. He was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, March 24, 1854. His
father, Carl Naschold was judge of the courts in the district of Germany in
which he lived and his death there occurred in 1868. The mother, who bore the
maiden name of Charlotte Brackenhammer, died in 1906.

Jacob F. Naschold was the third in a family of four sons all of whom are
yet living. His brother Carl is a retired civil engineer of Wurtemberg, while
Frederick is a high-school teacher and Heinrich, the youngest of the family, is
inspector of waterworks at Wurtemberg.

In the public and high schools of his native city Jacob F. Naschold pursued
his early education and supplemented it by a course in the Building Academy of
Stuttgart, from which he was graduated in 1872. He then passed the state ex-
amination and was admitted to practice in the profession of architecture. He
worked as a draftsman there for three years, the last two being spent in the
employ of the government, and later served for a year in the army. On severing
his connection with military affairs and finding no business in his profession open
to him, he went to Switzerland and soon afterward made his way to Paris, where
he spent three years as a draftsman.

In 1880 he sailed for the United States, landing at New York, and during the
succeeding nine years he followed his profession in New York and Boston, after
which he came to Philadelphia, entering into business association with the late
Thomas P. Lousdale, one of the leading architects of this city whom he succeeded
in business upon the death of Mr. Lousdale in 1900. Mr. Naschold has engaged
largely in residence and church work and has been the architect and builder of
some of the most prominent edifices of the city, including the Grace Baptist
Temple, Temple College, North Baptist church, Belmont Avenue Baptist church.
Mount Airy Methodist Episcopal church and Covenant Methodist Episcopal
church of Philadelphia, together with the Duke Street Methodist church of Lan-
caster, Pennsylvania, the Holy Cross Methodist Episcopal church of Reading.
Pennsylvania, the Bethany Presbyterian church, the Albert Barnes Memorial
church of Philadelphia, the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes at Overbrook, the
Church of Our Lady of the Holy Family at Manayunk, Temple of Truth at



276 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Wellington, the Methodist Episcopal and St. Agnes Hospitals, the Methodist
Episcopal orphanage, the Pennsylvania Railroad Young Men's Christian As-
sociation building, of Philadelphia, the Young Men's Christian Association build-
ing at Reading, the city hall and market house at Norristown, Pennsylvania, the
Pennsylvania building of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Denny Hall at
Dickinson College, the Manhattan Life building and the William Mann building
of Philadelphia. His work is the visible expression of his ability and his high
standing in the profession. He has become widely known in trade and profes-
sional circles as an architect of prominence, and the fame and success which
have come to him are the merited recognition of the skill which earnest and in-
defatigable effort has developed.

On the I2th of June, 1882, in Boston, Mr. Naschold was married to Miss
Sophia Liebler, a daughter of Fred Liebler, formerly of Stuttgart. They have
five children : Max P., a contractor and builder ; Hans A., a fresco painter ; Paul
J., a solicitor ; Carl F., a high school student ; and Matilda Charlotte, who is also
attending school. The family residence is on East Gravers Lane on Chestnut
Hill.

The parents are members of Christ's Evangelical Lutheran church and Mr.
Naschold is serving on its council. He has never had occasion to regret his deter-
mination to seek a home in America and in the period of thirty-one years which
has since elapsed he has won success and honor in business and by fidelity and
high manly principles has gained the high respect and esteem of his fellowmen.



JOHN H. DYE.



John H. Dye was for many years one of the best known surveyors of Phil-
adelphia, doing much important work in this direction. He was born in Ken-
sington, Pennsylvania, September 9, 1833, a son of William and Christiana
(Egglington) Dye, the former coming to Pennsylvania from Rhode Island. In
the public schools of his native town John H. Dye pursued his education and
afterv/ard took up the study of civil engineering under his maternal uncle James
P. Davis. Later he entered the office of Strickland Niece, chief engineer of Phil-
adelphia, for whom he did valuable work. He was appointed by the government
to organize and establish a registrar bureau in Philadelphia and, placed at its
head, he remained as its chief for thirty-one years. Long a member of the old
board of surveys, important work which he did is to be found in all parts of the
city. He it was who made the survey for the Lincoln drive, of which idea he
was the originator. He worked out and perfected this and lived to see it com-
pleted. He also compiled a volume showing all the city lots and where they were
located from the time of William Penn. This was of great value in proving
titles and required much time in its compilation. It was a work of which he had
every reason to be proud. Mr. Dye also had charge of the surveys for the sewers,
did much work in connection with the surveying of the cemeteries and, as stated,
stood as one of the foremost representatives of surveying in Philadelphia.

On the 28th of December, 1872, Mr. Dye was married to Miss Qarissa F.
Jones, who had previously been a school teacher. She was a representative of




JOHN H. DYE




MES. JOHN H. DYE



PUBLIC LIBHARV j



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 281

an old family of Welsh lineage and her father, Thomas Jones, took great inter-
est in the welfare and advancement of the Welsh people. Mr. Dye's children
were bom of a former marriage and were three in number: Strickland Niece,
deceased; John H., a mining engineer of West Virginia; and Mrs. Emily M.
Howard.

Mr. Dye was entitled to wear the Grand Army button in that he was for a
short period a soldier of the Civil war, later becoming a member of Ellis Post,
No. 6, G. A. R. In Masonry he was prominent and active, attaining the thirty-
second degree of the Scottish Rite. He was also a member of St. Paul's Method-
ist Episcopal church, in which he served as treasurer for many years. Deeply
interested in the welfare of his fellowmen. he gave firm support to those meas-
ures and movements which he believed would prove of general benefit. Because
of the innate refinement of his nature he rejected everything opposed to good
taste. He was a man of the highest type of moral character, honored and re-
spected wherever known and most of all where best known. Always consider-
ate of the rights of others, he never neglected an obligation nor failed in the
performance of any duty, and his genuine personal worth gained him a circle
of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.



JOSEPH WHITAKER THOMPSON.

Joseph Whitaker Thompson, United States district attorney, was born at
Stroudsburg, Monroe county, Pennsylvania, August 19, 1861. The family is
of English origin. His grandfather, Dr. Anthony C. Thompson, was a physi-
cian of Cambridge, Maryland, and a well known practitioner on the eastern
shore. His father, the Rev. Charles Inpey Thompson, was a native of Dor-
chester county, Maryland, and a member of one of the old families of that
state that were founded there in the early part of the seventeenth century. The
Rev. Thompson became a Methodist minister and lived in Maryland until he
came north about 1852, spending most of his life in Pennsylvania. He died
at Mont Clare, this state, in 1883, when sixty-three years of age. He married
Gertrude K. Whitaker, a daughter of Joseph Whitaker, a well known iron
master of Bucks county, Montgomery county and Phoenixville, Pennsylvania,
conducting business for many years as a member of the firm of Reeves & Whit-
aker, predecessors of the Phoenix Iron Company. He was a representative of
the Whitaker family of Lancastershire, England. His daughter, Mrs. Thomp-
son, is still living at the old Whitaker homestead at Mont Clare, opposite Phoe-
nixville.

Joseph Whitaker Thompson was the only son in a family of five children,
of whom four are yet living. In the acquirement of his education he attended
the Rugby Academy of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania, being
in the class of 1883 of the department of arts and graduated from the law de-
partment with the LL. B. degree in 1887, having in the meantime studied law
in the office of Samuel W. Pennypacker, his cousin, who was afterward gov-
ernor of Pennsylvania. In June, 1887, he was admitted to the bar and entered



282 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

at once upon practice in the office of Mr. Pennypacker, with whom he was asso-
ciated until the latter went upon the bench of court of common pleas No. 2 in
1890. Mr. Thompson then continued in practice alone until after the expiration
of Judge Pennypacker's term as governor in the latter part of 1907, when the
firm of Pennypacker & Thompson was organized and still continues. Their
attention is devoted to general civil practice, with offices in the Franklin Bank
building and their clientage is of a most distinguished and representative char-
acter.

Mr. Thompson is a member of the Pennsylvania State Bar Association and
of the Philadelphia Law Association. He has been active in republican politics
in Montgomery county, where he has resided since 1892, and has always taken
a keen interest in matters of local moment, especially in the welfare of the
public schools. For twelve years he has served as president of the school board
and has done effective work in advancing the cause of education. He has served
as a member of the republican county committee and of the executive committee
for many years. Almost the only positions which he has filled have been in
the strict path of his profession. In August, 1900, he was appointed first as-
sistant United States attorney under District Attorney Holland, and when the
latter was appointed district judge Mr. Thompson was appointed by President
Roosevelt district attorney on the 29th of April, 1904, and was by him reap-
pointed on the 29th of April, 1908. While assistant to Mr. Holland, he de-
fended suits brought by the Spreckles Sugar Refining Company and the Frank-
lin Sugar Refining Company, to determine the validity and constitutionality of



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 28 of 62)