Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 29 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


provisions of the war revenue act imposing taxes on companies engaged in the
refining of sugar, in which the act was sustained by the circuit court, the circuit
court of appeals and the supreme court of the United States. With the assist-
ance of Henry P. Brown as special counsel he tried the cases against Henry
Lear, of the Doylestown (Pa.) National Bank, who was convicted in the third
trial after two disagreements of the jury, and of George P. Brock, cashier of
the same bank, who was likewise convicted. He conducted the trial and secured
the conviction of Stanley Francis and Frank C. Marrin on charges of fraudu-
lent uses of mails in connection with the Storey Cotton Company swindle, and
tried and convicted Dewitt C. Hilligos, charged with aiding and abetting the
cashier of the Farmers Bank of Boyerstown in the misapplication of funds.
He has conducted many prosecutions under the interstate commerce acts against
common carriers for rebating, the most recent of these being the prosecution of
the Reading Railway, the Lehigh Valley Railway and the Bethlehem Steel Com-
pany. All this has won for Mr. Thompson well merited fame, honor and suc-
cess and he is regarded today as one of the strong, able, forceful and conscien-
tious lawyers of the Philadelpiha bar. Aside from his practice, he is an officer
and director in many local business enterprises and in charitable institutions as
well.

On the 4th of December, 1890, Mr. Thompson was united in marriage to
Miss Anna P. Williamson, a daughter of Colonel William L. Williamson, a
well known banker of Pottstown, Pennsylvania. They have two daughters and
one son : Elisabeth, Charles I., and Josephine, aged respectively seventeen, eleven
and nine years. The family residence is at Mont Clare, in Montgomery county.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 283

Mr. Thompson blongs to the Delta Psi college fraternity, to the Union
League, and to the Lawyers and University Clubs. He finds recreation in golf
and fishing and belongs to a fishing and gunning club of five members known
as the Henry Valley Club, owning a tract of five hundred acres of land in
Perry county, upon which is a fine trout stream. He is a member of the Bala
Golf Club and the Phoeni.xville Golf Club. In the hours given to social life
and relaxation he takes hold of everything with a contagious enthusiasm, mani-
festing the same forcefulness, determination and indefatigable industry that
characterizes him in his profession.



JOSHUA BERTRAM LIPPINCOTT.

Joshua Bertram Lippincott has since 1875 been connected with the publish-
ing business that, under the name of the J. B. Lippincott Company, has become
known from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He was born in Philadelphia, August
24, 1857, a son of Joshua Ballanger and Josephine (Craige) Lippincott. He
is a direct descendant of Richard Lippincott, of England, who settled at Dor-
chester, Massachusetts, in 1640, and about 1665 removed to Shrewsbury, New
Jersey. His son, Restore, married Hannah Shattuck, of Boston, Massachusetts,
and they were parents of James Lippincott, who married Anna Eves, of Wel-
lingborough, New Jersey. Their son, Jonathan Lippincott, married Anna Eves,
his first cousin, and Levi Lippincott, son of Jonathan and Anna Lippincott,
wedded Lettice Wells, of Evesham township, Burlington county, New Jersey.
Their son, Jacob Wells, married Sarah Ballanger, of Med ford. New Jersey,
and became the father of Joshua Ballanger Lippincott, the father of J. Bertram
Lippincott.

The last named pursued his education in Philadelphia, was graduated from
the Episcopal Academy in 1873 and spent a year as a student in the University
of Pennsylvania with the class of 1878. In 1907 the honorary degree of B. A.
was conferred upon him. In 1875, at the age of eighteen years, he became con-
nected with the publishing business which for many years has made the name
Lippincott one of the best known in connection with publisliing interests through-
out the country, eleven years of experience in various departments bringing to
him wide knowledge and increasing responsibilities, advancing him to the posi-
tion of vice president of the J. B. Lippincott Company at No. 229 South Sixth
street. This by no means limits the extent of his business activities, however,
for he is also vice president of the Wharton Steel Company, president of the
Hibernia Mine Railroad, vice president and director of the Wharton & Nortli-
ern Railroad Company and a director of the Farmers & Mechanics National
Bank. He is also a member of the executive council of the Board of Trade and
has been an active factor in promoting projects and measures bearing upon the
business development and industrial and commercial activity of the city.

Success, as a rule, means the acquisition of wealth and nothing more. It
becomes the Lode star for which men subordinate all that is finest and best in



284 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

life, but to Mr. Lippincott success has meant a well rounded life and his horizon
has not been bounded by phases of business. He is well known as a patron of
music and art, of the opera and drama, and he is now one of the directors of
the Academy of Music. He is also trustee of the University of Pennsylvania.
His scientific interest finds expression in his membership in the Geographic
Society, the Historical Society and in the Philadelphia Society for the Promo-
tion of Agriculture, of which he is president. He is likewise a director of the
Mercantile Library and is much interested in amateur photography. He enjoys
all outdoor sports save golf, is fond of gunning and in early manhood was a
skilled oarsman. Citizenship, too, is as important a part of his life as his other
interests and vocations. He labors for the civic and business interests of his
native city and gives stalwart support to the republican party as a "regular,"
and is a high tariff advocate.

On the 2ist of April, 1885, in Philadelphia, Mr. Lippincott was married to
Joanna Wharton, a daughter of Joseph Wharton, the well known irormiaster of
whom mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Their children are Joseph
Wharton, Marianna, Sarah and Bertram. That the social phases of life bear
interest to Mr. Lippincott is evidenced by the fact that he belongs to the Union
League, Art, University, Corinthian Yacht, Franklin, Poor Richard and Hunt-
ingdon Valley Country Clubs.



ROLAND M. EAVENSON.

Roland M. Eavenson, secretary and treasurer of J. Eavenson & Sons, soap
manufacturers, in which connection he is active in the management and up-
building of an extensive productive industry, was born in Philadelphia, January
22, 1873, ^ son of Marvin M. and Mary (Eachus) Eavenson. His entire life
has been passed in this city and the completion of the designated work of the
various grades of the public schools at length brought him to graduation from
the Central high school in February, 1890.

At the outset of his business career he became connected with the soap
manufacturing house of J. Eavenson & Sons, which was founded by his grand-
father, Jones Eavenson. He bent his energies to the mastery and successful
execution of every task assigned him and thus thoroughly acquainted himself
with the management of the business. Upon its incorporation he was chosen
secretary and afterward elected secretary and treasurer. He is a wide-awake,
progressive business man, constantly seeking out new methods for the ex-
pansion of the trade, and his energy and foresight into business situations have
made him a forceful factor in the growth of the enterprise. In addition to
his manufacturing interests he is a director of the Old Colony Building & Loan
Association.

In 1898 Mr. Eavenson was married to Miss Katharine N. Sample, and they
have two children, Marvin S. and Katharine M. The parents are devoted mem-
bers of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Eavenson served for some years as an
elder in Olivet Presbyterian church, but on his removal to West Philadelphia
placed his membership in the Princeton Presbyterian church, where he is an



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 285

elder. He is also active in temperance work and in fact stands for all that is
beneficial to the individual and the community. The Presbyterian Social Union
finds him an active and helpful representative and he is also a member of the
Presbyterian Sunday School Superintendents Association of Philadelphia and
vicinity. He is treasurer of the Christian League and for two years has been
president of the Philadelphia Union of the Brotherhood of Andrew and Philip.
He is also a member of the International Council of this brotherhood and from
1906 nntil 1908 was presiding officer of the National Division of the Sons of
Temperance, covering all North America. In politics he has acted with the
independent and prohibition parties and in 1908 was made the candidate of both
parties for the select council from the twenty-fourth ward. Fraternally he is
connected with Olivet Lodge, No. 607, A. F. & A. M., and St. John's Chapter,
R. A. M. No good work done in the name of charity or religion seeks his aid
in vain and his labors in these lines have been far-reaching and beneficial.



ST. STANISLAUS PARISH.

St. Stanislaus Parish, of which the Rev. Joseph Paul Guzik is rector and Rev.
Anthony Zickbura, D. D., is assistant rector, was founded in 1891. The first
pastor was Father Baranski. A church was secured from the Episcopalian so-
ciety and was entirely remodeled in its interior finishing. It has a seating capacity
of nine hundred. The church property also includes a school building which has
been erected by the parish and a red brick rectoiy three stories in height which
was built in the early '90s. Following the first rector came Father Miecislaus
Kopytkiewicz, who remained for seven years, and during his ministry the rec-
tory was built. Father Jozef Biela was then rector for a little more than a year
during which time a school building of eight rooms, three stories in height, was
built and also the Sisters' house. Father Biela then went to Europe and Father
Stanislaus Frug was rector for over a year, with Rev. Joseph Kuczynski as as-
sistant. Then came the present pastor, Father Guzik. There are si.x hundred
families in the parish and the school of four hundred and fifty pupils is under
the charge of seven Sisters of Nazareth. The church is worth altogether about
one hundred and forty thousand dollars.

The Rev. Joseph Paul Guzik was born in Galicya, Austria, January 30, 1859,
and on coming to the United States in 1897 made his way to Buffalo. He was
educated in the Wadowice Gymnasium University at Krakow and was there or-
dained July 10, 1886, by Cardinal Dunajewski. He celebrated his first mass on
the 17th of July, 1886, at St. Catherine's church in Krakow. He was professor
of religion at Sister St. Augustin. He then taught in the public schools of
Krakow for three years, after which he came to the United States and was as-
sistant rector of St. Stanislaus church in Buffalo for one year and two months.
He then went as a missionary to Providence, Rhode Island, and was the first
Polish priest and missionary in the Providence diocese, with which he was con-
nected for four years. He built a church at Fall River, Massachusetts, this be-



286 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

ing the first Polish parish in the diocese organized by St. Stanislaus church.
After building the church he remained there as rector for a year. He was then
transferred to Altoona diocese in Pennsylvania and organized the first Polish
parish in that diocese at Boswell, Somerset county. He built the church and re-
mained as rector for a year, after which he was transferred to Bitumen, Clinton
county, where he was rector of St. Mary's church and also built the school. He
continued there for four years, after which he was taken ill and went to Euroi>e
for a year. On the expiration of that period he returned to the United States
and was rector of St. Cunegunde, McAdoo, Schuylkill county, for five months.
On the 1st of February, 1908, he was appointed rector at St. Stanislaus parish,
where he is doing effective work in furthering the interests of Catholicism. He
built a belfry and bought a new bell last year costing four thousand dollars and
a new organ costing two thousand, five hundred dollars. He has made needed
repairs, the church being now in perfect condition.



REV. MICHAEL STANISLAUS PACHUCKI.

Rev. Michael Stanislaus Pachucki, who was assistant rector of St. Stanislaus,
was born in Russia Poland, September 22, 1878, and came to the United States
in 1892, making his way to Shenandoah, Pennsylvania. He pursued his early
education in the public schools of his native country and afterward attended
Metedius Seminary at Detroit, Michigan, for six years. He then spent four years
in preparation for the priesthood in St. Charles Borromeo Seminary at Over-
brook and was ordained May 31, 1905, by Bishop Prendergast. He celebrated
his first mass on the nth of June following at St. Hedwig's church in Chicago
and was assistant missionary in South Bethlehem for seven months, connected
with St. John Capistran. He was next transferred to St. Mary's church at Read-
ing, Pennsylvania, of which he remained assistant rector for seven months, after
which he spent two and a half years as assistant rector of St. Adelbert's church
in Philadelphia, and then came to St. Stanislaus church. He is now rector of St.
Anthony of Padua church at Combola, Schulykill county, Pennsylvania.



HENRY E. MELVILLE.

Henry E. Melville, a licensed pilot, connected all his life with marine in-
terests, was born in Burlington, Vermont, in 1837, and at the age of twelve
years joined a ship and began sailing the seas. There is something fascinating
about the life of a sailor, the sea air and the broad horizon, and although his
duties were often arduous in the earlier years he continued on the water and
his fidelity won him advancement. At the time of the Civil war he was engaged
in transporting soldiers to Fortress Monroe, and after the cessation of hostilities
went to New Orleans, from which point he ran a steamer up the Mississippi




HENRY E. MELVILLE



^UBLfC LIBRARY^



MTTon, LENOX AN*
TIL»6K ^OUNDATiewi, i;



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 289

river for a time. He came to Philadelphia through the influence of Mr. Flanni-
gan, who secured for him a position as captain on an ice boat on the river at
this point. For twenty-eight years he devoted his time and energies to that posi-
tion, giving excellent service, his knowledge of navigation proving one of the
sources of his successful work in that connection. In business affairs he dis-
l)layed sound judgment and keen discrimination. He also did valuable work for
the city in drawing plans for new boats and in giving information upon the var-
ious phases of shipping interests. He was a licensed pilot and was one of the
best known river men of Philadelphia, knowing every point on the river for
miles and having at the same time considerable knowledge of the coast from the
navigator's standpoint.

Captain Melville was married in Philadelphia in 1865 to Miss Elizabeth M.
Peel, a daughter of James Peel, who was born in Europe and after coming to
this city engaged in the grocery business and was otherwise connected with com-
mercial interests here. Later he went to Europe and purchased jewelry, con-
ducting an importing- business for a considerable period in Philadelphia. He
was an honorable and upright citizen and made for himself a creditable place in
commercial circles.

Captain Melville was a Mason in his fraternal relations and was a worthy
exemplar of the craft. He was also a man of great charity, his generous im-
pulse being manifest in his ready response to the call of the poor and needy, to
whom he often extendetl a helping hand. He died April 9, 1900, and thus passed
away one whose life had many picturesque elements from the time of his early
connection with the sea on through the period of his government services in the
Civil war and through the days of early boating on the Mississippi river at a
time when floating palaces made their regular trips between New Orleans and
points north. His long residence in Philadelphia made him widely known, es-
pecially to city officials and those connected with shipping interests, and his
death was the occasion of deep and wide-spread regret to many friends.



ST. CASIMIR'S PARISH.

St. Casimir's parish is presided over by the Rev. Joseph John Kaulakis as rec-
tor with Stanislaus Kuczas as assistant rector. This parish was organized in
1893 by Father Kaulakis and its members are all of Lithuanian nativity or
descent. Prior to 1893 the people had collected one thousand dollars. In that
year Father Kaulakis came to take charge of the parish. For a half year they
worshipped at St. Alphonse church and for six months at St. Joseph's. They
then purchased a church on Fifth street below Carpenter street, formerly owned
by Lutherans. They used this until 1899, when there arose litigation regarding
the title of the property, and they purchased the old historical Methodist Epis-
copal church on Wharton street at a cost of ten thousand dollars. This was in
1905. When the parish buildings and grounds had been purchased and fitted
up it was found that they had expended fifty thousand dollars besides ten thou-
sand dollars in improvements. The church was dedicated May 30, 1906, by



290 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Archbishop Ryan. School is conducted on the first floor, there being five rooms
with four lay teachers. There are five hundred families in the parish and two
hundred pupils in the school.

Father Kaulakis was born in Lithuania, a part of Russia, January 25, 1868,
and came to the United States in 1893. He was educated at Libau, Poland, at-
tending St. Nicholas Gymnasium, and was afterward a pupil in St. Thomas Semi-
nary at Petersburg, this being a Catholic university — the oldest in the world.
Father Kaulakis was ordained there especially for the diocese of Philadelphia by
Cardinal Gossens of Moline on the 9th of June, 1893. He celebrated his first
mass at St. Alphonse church in Philadelphia, July 16, 1893, and at once organized
the parish, which is now in good condition financially. He also built St. George
church at Port Richmond and was its rector for four years, after which they or-
dained another rector. Father Kaulakis does some other work outside the parish
among people of his nationality and is building up a strong church among the
Lithuanians of his district.



CHARLES STEWART WOOD PACKARD.

A state university graduate, Charles S. W. Packard has so utilized his time
and talents that he stands today in a conspicuous position of control and admin-
istrative direction as the president of the Pennsylvania Company for Insurances
on Lives & Granting Annuities. Otherwise identified with banking interests, he
is today one of Philadelphia's well known representatives in the banking circles
of the city.

Born in Philadelphia, June 21, i860, he is a son of Dr. John Hooker and
Elizabeth (Wood) Packard. In the acquirement of his education he attended
Rugby Academy until his preparation qualified him for entrance to the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the class of 1880, win-
ning the Bachelor of Science degree. Passing the preliminary stages in his busi-
ness career, he entered into active connection with the Philadelphia Warehouse
Company as secretary in 1883, and so continued for four years, or until 1887.
In the meantime he had made his power and ability felt in the business world and
his recognized qualifications led to his selection for the position of treasurer of
the Washington Manufacturing Company, in which capacity he continued for
five years.

His identification with the Pennsylvania Company for Insurances on Lives &
Granting Annuities dates from 1892, in which year he was appointed auditor.
The following year he was chosen treasurer of the company and in 1899 was
given a controlling voice in management when elected to the presidency. His
prominence in banking circles is indicated in the fact that he is at the head of this
corporation. Moreover, he is one of the directors of the Franklin National Bank,
the Fourth Street National Bank, the Farmers & Mechanics Bank and the Phila-
delphia Saving Fund Society. Aside from these he is one of the directors of the
Philadelphia Warehouse Company, of the Philadelphia Contributionship for
the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire. He is not unknown as a represen-



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 291

tative of transportation interests because of his connection with the Lehigh Coal
& Navigation Company, the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Company and the
Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad, of all of which he is a director. He like-
wise is a trustee of the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company.

Mr. Packard was married in 1882 to Miss Eliza Gilpin, a daughter of Samuel
McLean, of Philadelphia, and they reside at No. 326 South Twenty-first street,
in a home that is most attractive by reason of its warm-hearted and generous
hospitality.

Mr. Packard is a member of the Delta Psi fraternity and director and for-
merly treasurer of the University Athletic Association. He belongs to the
Protestant Episcopal church and is a director of the hospital which is maintained
by that denomination in Philadelphia. For eight years he occupied the position
of trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and is closely associated with many
of the organized movements which labor for the moral and intellectual progress
of the community and for the benefit of its charities and public benevolences. He
is prominent in the club life of the city as a member of the Philadelphia, Rit-
tenhouse Country, Racquet and St. Anthony's Clubs. Like all native Philadel-
phians of long residence here, he feels great pride and interest in his city and his
public spirit is manifest in active cooperation with projects and movements for
the general good. Working toward high ideals, he employs practical methods and
his theories find demonstration in substantial results.



RALPH BERNSTEIN, M. D.

Dr. Ralph Bernstein, a graduate of the department of medicine of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania and a post graduate of the Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege of Philadelphia, is a skin speciahst, having his othce and residence at No.
37 South Nineteentli street, and is recognized by the profession as a leading
homeopathic enthusiast not only in the city of Philadelphia but throughout the
state and nation as well. He was born in Columbia, Lancaster county, Pennsyl-
vania, April 12, 1877, of German parentage, being the second son of Mr. and
Mrs. Siginund Bernstein, of Philadelphia. He was six years of age when he
accompanied his parents on their removal to this city, the father having business
interests at Wayne Junction, Philadelphia, where he is still active.

Dr. Bernstein pursued his literary education in the North East Manual Train-
ing high school, where he was graduated in 1898. Having decided in favor of
the medical profession, a year later he entered that department of the University
of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1903. Possessing a desire
for a more thorough knowledge of medicine, he spent the following year in post-
graduate studies at the Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia.

He has recently had the honor conferred upon him of having been elected con-
sulting dermatologist to the J. Lewis Crozer Hospital and Home for Incurables,
at Chester, Pennsylvania. He is, in the same capacity, associated with the Wo-
men's Southern Hospital of Philadelphia. He is also dermatologist to the Hahne-
mann Hospital Skin Dispensary, the West Philadelphia General Hospital and



292 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

medical and physical director as well as consulting dermatologist to the House
of Detention for Juveniles, Philadelphia.

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the clinical teaching staff in the department of
skin diseases of the Hahnemann Medical College and is secretary and one of the
principal organizers of the Philadelphia Academy of Medicine. He is a member
of the legislative committee and board of censors of the Homeopathic County
Medical Society and also of the board of trustees of the Homeopathic State Medi-
cal Society, as well as chairman of the membership committee of the same. He
is also a member of the Bureau of Propagandism of the American Institute of
Homeopathy and in 1910 was elected honorary member of the West Branch
Homeopathic Medical Society of Union county, Pennsylvania.

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Philadelphia Society for Clinical Research,



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 29 of 62)