Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 3 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of outdoor life, particularly horseback riding and through travel. He has
crossed the ocean eight times and is almost as familiar with Europe as with his
native land. Because of the innate refinement of his nature he rejects every-
thing opposed to good taste. His appearance discounts his real age at least
twenty years, notwithstanding the prodigious amount of work he has done in
the field of his chosen profession and in the wide realms of study and research.



AUGUST H. JAEGER. Jr.

Augi:st H. Jaeger, treasurer of the Jaeger Automatic Machine Company,
was born in Philadelphia, November 20, 1870, a son of August and Wilhelmina
(Fischer) Jaeger. He passed through consecutive grades in the public and high
schools to the age of nineteen, when he crossed the threshold of the business
world by engaging as clerk with the firm of Gaskell, Bauer & Condeman, with
whom he remained for six months. He afterward accepted a clerical position
in the newspaper office of the Philadelphia Record, where he remained until
1891, when he went to West Chester, Pennsylvania, and engaged with the Demo-
crat, a newspaper of which he acted as associate editor for six months. Return-
ing to Philadelphia, he spent two months as clerk with the Star Engraving Com-
pany and later devoted one year to the duties of associate editor with the firm
of Bioren & Company. The succeeding year was passed as stenographer for
V. Clad & Sons, and he later became stenographer for the American Telephone
& Telegraph Company, so continuing until 1901. In that year he engaged with
his father in the manufacture of slot machines and, the business prospering as
the years passed on, in 1904 it was incorporated, at which time Mr. Jaeger be-



22 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

came one of the directors of the Automatic Clerk Company, manufacturers of
automatic machines and hardware specialties. They have been very successful
in the conduct of the business to the present time and its trade is constantly in-
creasing as the value of their output is recognized by the public.

Mr. Jaeger was married in Philadelphia April 28, 1903, to Miss Nellie Mc-
Donnell. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans and in his political views is
a republican, keeping well informed on the questions and issues of the day but
without ambition for office. He finds that a growing business makes full de-
mands upon his time and he is continually seeking out new methods for the
expansion of the enterprise, which is now classed with the leading productive
industries of Philadelphia.



HENRY P. SAUERS.



Henry P. Sauers attended the Beck Quaker school to the age of sixteen
thus connected with one of the large productive industries of the city, was born
in Philadelphia, October 12, 1862. He is a son of Harry and Adeline Sauers.
The father was a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and at the age of two
years was brought to Philadelphia by his parents. His education was acquired
in the public schools and later he engaged in the saloon business, in which he
continued until his death.

Henry P. Sauers attended the Beck Quaker School to the age of sixteen
years, after which he spent two years as a pupil in St. Peter's German school.
He entered business circles as an employe of Philip J. Lauber, with whom he
continued for eight years, and in 1888 he established a saloon at the corner of
Third and Reed streets, where he continued until 1900, when he sold the busi-
ness to his brother. He then traveled for pleasure all over the United States and
also went to Alaska. Seven months thus passed and on his return to Philadel-
phia he became a director in the Louis Bergdoll Brewing Company. In the fall
of 1900 he decided to make a trip around the world and was absent for eleven
months, and upon his return again became actively connected with the business
and in October, 1902, was elected president of the Louis Bergdoll Brewing Com-
pany, controlling one of the largest enterprises of the kind in Philadelphia. There
has been notable progress made in the methods of brewing and the Bergdoll
brewery has been a leader in the trend of general improvement. The plant cov-
ers more than three acres, extending from Twenty-eighth to Twenty-ninth
streets and from Parish to Poplar. Standing apart from factories, they occupy
a section of the city where it is not difficult to maintain a wholesome, clean and
sanitary brewery. The business was founded on a small scale that has been
gradually developed until today it has an output of two hundred thousand bar-
rels annually. The enterprise was founded by Louis Bergdoll, a German, who
came to Philadelphia in the early '40s. He had made a thorough study of brew-
ing in his native country and in the fall of 1849 he established a small brewery
as senior partner of the firm of Bergdoll & Psotta. In 1876 the junior partner
died and Mr. Bergdoll became sole proprietor. As chief executive he introduced



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 23

many improvements and in 1881 incorporated the business. The plant is com-
posed of a group of buildings such as are necessary for the manufacture of the
tinest grades of beer. The company has one hundred and seven head of horses,
forty-two wagons and employs one hundreil and twenty-five men. Since Mr.
Sauers took charge the business has greatly increased, and through all the years
the house has maintained the highest standards in manufacture and in quality.
Mr. Sauers was married in Philadelphia to Miss Katharine W. Schoening,
a daughter of Charles F. Schoening, a former president and now one of the
directors of the Louis BergdoU Brewing Company. They became the parents of
two children : Katharine, now deceased ; and Henry Schoening, a lad of seven
years. The family residence is at No. 1216 North Broad street, and they also have
a summer home on the eastern shore of Maryland, where Mr. Sauers owns one
hundred and eighty acres of land. He there has a fine yacht, eighty feet in
length. He enjoys boating, hunting, fishing and motoring, and belongs to the
Belmont Driving Club, the Philadelphia Driving Club, and the Road Drivers'
Association. He is a stockholder in the Philadelphia Schuetzen X'erein, a mem-
ber of the Elks lodge, the Union Republic Club and the Young Maennerchor.
He is also identified with the leading German societies of the city and is very
influential among the German-American population of Philadelphia, and also
widely recognized as an enterprising, forceful and clear-sighted business man
whose ability is manifest in his successful control of one of the city's large pro-
ductive industries.



CHARLES BARTH.



One of the most extensive brewing establishments of the east is that operated
under the name of the Louis Bergdoll Brewing Company, of which Charles
Barth is the manager. He was born in Baden, Germany, April 28, 1857, a son
of Christopher and Wilhelmina Barth. At the usual age he was sent to the
public schools, which he attended to the age of fourteen. He then served a
three years' apprenticeship in the wholesale grocery and produce business, after
which he accepted a position as bookkeeper in a cigar factory, where he re-
mained for two years. According to the laws of his native land he served for
three years in the German army, after which he crossed the Atlantic to America
that he might enjoy the wider business opportunities offered in this land, where
competition is not so great and where advancement is more quickly secured.

Establishing his home in Philadelphia, Mr. Barth engaged with the Louis
Bergdoll Brewing Company as brewer for two years, on the expiration of which
period he removed to Scranton, Pennsylvania, and spent one year as brewer with
the Robinson Brewing Company. On the expiration of that period he returned
to Philadelphia, where he engaged with the Rothacker Brewing Company for
three years, driving a wagon. He was afterward driver for the F. A. Poth &
Sons Brewing Company for nine years, and in 1896 reentered the employ of the
Louis Bergdoll Brewing Company, which he represented as collector until 1898.
He then served as superintendent until 1899, in which year he was elected sec-



24 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

retary and treasurer, thus serving until 1901, when he was chosen to the presi-
dency. In 1903 he was appointed general manager and now has general super-
vision of a business of large and extensive proportions, for the Louis BergdoU
Brewing Company is one of the most important industries of this character in
Philadelphia.

On the 5th of February, 1886, was celebrated the marriage of Charles Barth
and Miss Elizabeth Rebstock of Philadelphia. They became parents of five chil-
dren: Carl, eighteen years of age; Elza, fifteen; Anna, thirteen; Frederick,
eleven ; and Alvine, nine years old. Fraternally Mr. Barth is connected with the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is a member of the leading Ger-
man societies of Philadelphia. He has never had occasion to regret his deter-
mination to seek a home in the new world, for on this side the Atlantic he found
good business opportunities which he fully utilized and which have brought him
a substantial measure of success.



RANDAL MORGAN.



In the discussion of some abstruse problem — and he never enters upon such
a discussion unless he is well informed concerning the subject- — Randal Morgan
woidd seem to be a philosopher whose attention is claimed by the themes of wide
general interest. In business hours, however, he is an alert, enterprising man,
who, cognizant of every detail, gives his attention to specific ideas and brings
to every intricate problem involved a practical and correct solution. The analyti-
cal trend of his mind, developed through the study and practice of law, enables
him to take cognizance of every point in a business transaction and give to each
its due relative importance.

Born in Philadelphia on the i8th of October, 1853, Randal IMorgan is a
son of Charles Eldridge and Jane Bowen (Buck) Morgan, who in earl}- life
were residents respectively of Blackwoodtown, New Jersey, and Bridgeton,
New Jersey. Both were representatives of old families of that state and the
year 1844 witnessed their removal to Philadelphia, where Mr. Morgan engaged
in the wholesale dry-goods business. After mastering the elementary branches
of learning, Randal Morgan attended the Germantown Academy of this city,
from which institution he was graduated in 1869. He next matriculated in the
University of Pennsylvania and won the Bachelor of Arts degree upon his
graduation with the class of 1873. During the succeeding year he occupied a
position in connection with the Lancaster Iron Works at Lancaster, Pennsyl-
vania.

In 1874 Mr. Morgan returned to Philadelphia to take up the study of law
in the office of his elder brother, Charles E. Morgan, Jr. His thorough course
of reading qualified him for admission to the bar in 1877 and he later became
a member of the firm of Morgan & Lewis. He won success as a lawyer, and
in his practice devoted his attention largely to corporation law. In 1882, when
the legal business of The United Gas Improvement Company required the indi-




RANDAL J[OEGAN



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 27

vidua! attention of one man, its officers decided upon Mr. Morgan as the best
equipped man for the office. He has since been continuously connected with the
company, first as its counsel and later as general counsel, while in 1892 he was
elected third vice president, one of the conditions upon which Thomas Dolan
accepted the presidency. He continued in that position until 1904, when he was
chosen second vice president. While he has always guided and closely followed
the affairs of the legal department of The United Gas Improvement Company,
his attention has not been entirely confined to the legal features of the business.
On the contrary, his field has greatly been extended and he has assumed a lead-
ing part in the financial affairs of that corporation and of the many corporations
in which The United Gas Improvement Company is a shareholder. Mr. Mor-
gan's abilities in this line have been appreciated by many of the leading financial
institutions of Philadelphia, as is attested by the fact of his having been chosen
a director of the boards of such institutions as the First National Bank of Phila-
delphia, the Philadelphia National Bank, thei.jGirard Trust Company and the
Western Savings Society. In all business matters he looks beyond the exigen-
cies of the moment to the possibilities of the future and coordinates seemingly
diverse interests into a harmonious whole. One who has long known him, when
asked for the secret of his marked success, answered : "To a greater degree than
any man I have ever known Randal Morgan couples with the genius which sees
visions and dreams dreams, the ability to make tangible his dreams in the shape
of practical and profitable commercial undertakings."

On the 17th of June, 1880, Mr. Morgan was married to Miss Anna Shap-
leigh, who was a daughter of Marshall Spring Shapleigh, and died July i, 1905.
On the 30th of April, 1910, Mr. Morgan was again married, his second union
being with Miss Frances Biddle Williams, a daughter of Charles Williams, who
was a prominent insurance man and to the time of his death senior member of
the firm of Williams & Walton at No. 416 Walnut street. Of him mention is
made elsewhere in this volume. By his first marriage Mr. Morgan had a son
and daughter, Marshall Shapleigh and Jane Buck. The former, now interested
in street railways, married Miss Louise Johnson, a daughter of Dr. Russell John-
son of Chestnut Hill. Miss Jane B. Morgan was married November 22, 1910,
to the Hon. Cecil Vavasseur-Fisher, the only son of Lord Fisher, of Kilver-
stone, G. C. B., Admiral of the Fleet and until recently First Sea Lord of the
British Admiralty. On that occasion the bridegroom was attended by his uncle.
Sir Frederick William Fisher, a Vice Admiral of the British navy. Mr. Vavas-
seur-Fisher is the inheritor of the manors of Thetford, Croxton and Kilverstone
Hall, as well as of a goodly fortune, received from Josiah Vavasseur, who was
one of the directors of the firm of Armstrong, Whiteworth & Company, gim-
makers.

The home of Mr. Morgan is a beautiful country place at Chestnut Hill, one
of Philadelphia's most attractive suburbs, the development of which has fur-
nished Mr. Morgan rest and recreation in the midst of the arduous and onerous
affairs of his active career. While his business duties have made heavy de-
mands upon his attention, he has yet found time to devote to the interests of
the University of Pennsylvania, of which he was elected a trustee in 1896,



28 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

serving now as chairman of its standing committee on finance and property.
He is never unmindful nor neglectful of the obligations of citizenship and the
weight of his influence is thrown on the side of progress and improvement,
while it is a uniformly accepted fact that he occupies a most prominent position
in business and financial aft'airs of the city.



GEORGE G. ROSS, M. D.

Dr. George G. Ross was born in Philadelphia in 1866, a son of Joseph and
Mary (Bowman) Ross. On the paternal side he is descended from Scotch and
German ancestry and in the maternal line comes of German and Holland Dutch.
The history of the Ross family in its connection with America is traced back
to an early period in the eighteenth century when settlement was made in the
vicinity of Philadelphia. Representatives of the name have largely been physi-
cians and merchants. Dr. Ross' great-grandfather, Christian Kunkel, was one
of Colonel Slagel's Associators, who came from York and Harrisburg to defend
Philadelphia at the battle of Germantown and participated in the engagement.
He was burgess of the borough at Harrisburg in 1796 and was also one of the
directors of the Harrisburg branch of the Bank of Philadelphia. His daughter,
Catherine Kunkel, became the wife of Joseph Ross of Elizabethtown, Pennsyl-
vania, who was a distinguished lay preacher in his locality and lived at Middle-
town.

Joseph Ross, the father of Dr. Ross, was a leading merchant of Philadelphia
for a half century and was the brother of Christian K. Ross, the father of
Charlie Ross, whose kidnapping in early boyhood aroused the entire country.
Joseph Ross was a very successful business man. He spent a fortune, however,
in assisting his brother to find his stolen child, and, failing in this, he then turned
his attention again to business, paid every creditor dollar for dollar and once
more built up a comfortable fortune. The history of the Bowman family in
America dates back to the early part of the seventeenth century. In the maternal
line Dr. Ross is also a descendant from the Gorgas family, a name figuring in
connection with the annals of Philadelphia and the Revolutionary war.

In the Philadelphia public schools Dr. Ross acquired his early education and
afterward entered the University of Pennsylvania, in which he completed the
biological course in 1888. He then continued in the university as a medical
student until his graduation in 1891. For almost three years thereafter he was
interne in the German Hospital and later he pursued a post-graduate course in
Austria and Germany, receiving instruction from some of the eminent physicians
and surgeons of those countries. Thus splendidly equipped for his chosen life
work, he returned to Philadelphia and was elected assistant surgeon to the Ger-
man Hospital in 1896 in which capacity he has since served. He was chosen
surgeon to the Germantown Hospital in 1902. In his practice he has always
made a specialty of surgery, and his eminent ability is evidenced in the terms in
which his profession speak of him. He has instituted new methods of practical
value and throughout his entire career has been a close student of everything



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 29

bearing upon his profession, keeping at all times in touch with the most ad-
vanced ideas as promulgated by surgeons of America and of Europe. He is a
member of the Philadelphia College of Physicians, the Philadelphia Academy
of Surgery, the American Medical Association, the Philadelphia Obstetrical So-
ciety, the Pathological Society and the Northwestern Medical Society.

Dr. Ross is also a member of the Psi Upsilon and was one of the charter
members and organizers of the Tan Chapter of the University of Pennsylvania.
He belongs also to the University Club, the Bachelors Barge Club and the Union
League, while his political indorsement is given to the republican party.

In 1899 Dr. Ross wedded Miss Fannie Jennings, of Harrisburg, and they
have two children : Elizabeth and Frances Jennings.



ALEXANDER R. CRAIG, M. D.

Dr. Alexander R. Craig, recognized as one of the ablest members of the
medical fraternity of Philadelphia, his large and growing practice testifying to
the confidence and trust reposed in him by the general public, was born in Co-
lumbia, Pennsylvania, July 31, 1868. He supplemented his early education by
a course of study in the Franklin & Marshall College at Lancaster, from which
institution he was graduated in 1890, winning the degree of Bachelor of Arts,
while later the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him. Having de-
termined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he took up the study of
that science in the University of Pennsylvania and won the degree of M. D.
in 1893.

After some hospital and office practice in Philadelphia he settled in Columbia
in 1895, there following his profession until November, 1906. He was surgeon
to the Columbia Hospital and the Pennsylvania Railroad, likewise served as
secretary of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia and in 1900
was elected assistant secretary of the American Academy of Medicine. In
November, 1906. he removed to Philadelphia and this city has since remained
the scene of his professional labors. He has demonstrated his ability to suc-
cessfully cope with the intricate problems of health and disease and his practice
has steadily grown until it has reached extensive and profitable proportions.



LOUIS COPE WASHBURN, D. D.

Rev. Louis Cope Washburn, rector of Christ Episcopal church, was born in
Pottsville, Pennsylvania, January 25, i860, a son of the Rev. Daniel Washburn,
who was rector of Trinity Church, Southwark, during the period of the Civil
war and for several years thereafter. His life was devoted to this holy calling
and his influence was of no restricted order. He died in 1897 at the age of
seventy-five years.

Provided with liberal educational advantages, Louis C. Washburn attended
St. Stephen's College at .A.nnandale and Trinity College at Hartford, Connecti-



30 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

cut, being graduated in 1881 from the latter with the degree of Bachelor of
Arts, and in 1884 the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him. In
the Berkeley Divinity School at Middletown, Connecticut, he pursued a three
years' course under the direction of the Rt. Rev. John Williams. His studies
being pursued with the purpose of entering the priesthood, he was ordained a
deacon by the Rt. Rev. M. A. deW. Howe, at Reading, Pennsylvania, and was
assigned to his first charge at St. Peter's church, Hazleton, Pennsylvania, where
he remained for four years. St. Peter's was then a struggling parish in the coal
regions. The membership was small and the communicants were poor in this
world's goods, but during his pastorate the annuity of the church increased from
six hundred to forty-six hundred dollars, the house of worship was rebuilt, be-
ing doubled in size, and a mission church was established and paid for at Weath-
erly. On the 2d of July, 1885, he was raised to the priesthood by the Rev. W.
S. Rulison, and in December, 1887, he was called to the pastorate of St. Paul's
church, Rochester, New York, in which city he remained for nineteen years.
He became recognized as one of the representative clergy of the Episcopal min-
istry in western New York and his labors in Rochester were of far-reaching
effect and importance, upbuilding the church numerically and spiritually and
giving an impetus to denominational influence that has not ceased to be felt to
the present day. The Rev. Washburn began his work in Rochester on the ist
of July, 1888, and for nearly eighteen years remained at the old location
During that period he succeeded in greatly reducing the church debt and
doing other important work. In 1895 he resigned the rectorship and was
elected first archdeacon of Rochester, in which ecclesiastical position he re-
mained for nine years, being chosen for four terms of three years each but
declining to serve when last elected. He was an aggressive worker in that posi-
tion for nine years, doing most excellent service for the church. In 1896 Hobart
College conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity. In
1901 he was largely instrumental in raising thirty-five thousand dollars for the
erection of Coxe Memorial Hall of Hobart College. In 1903 he was elected a
member of the general board of managers of the Foreign and Domestic Mis-
sionary Society of the Episcopal church and in 1904 he was chosen a delegate
to the general convention of the church to serve for a three years' term. He was
vice president of the board of trustees of the Church Home of Rochester, rais-
ing eleven thousand dollars with which to erect a chapel and cottage.

In 1905 Dr. Washburn went abroad, accompanied by his family, and spent
more than a year in European travel, during which he visited the art centers of
Europe and many places of ancient, medieval and modern historical interest.
He then returned to Rochester and resumed his labors there, but even broader
fields of labor called him when, in February, 1907, he came to Christ Episcopal
church in Philadelphia, where for four years he has conducted the services of
the church, instituting and reviving the work on modern institutional lines and
laboring for a closer identification of the historic building with the neighborhood

needs.

In 1890, in Rochester, Dr. Washburn was married to Miss Henrietta Sal-
stonstall Mumford, and to them have been born three children, namely: Hen-
rietta Mumford Washburn, at present in college; Helen Carpenter Washburn,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 31

just graduated from Miss Irwin's school; and Louis Mumford Washburn, of
the sixth form in St. Luke's School, Wayne.

At this point it would be almost tautological to enter into any series of state-
ments as showing Dr. Washburn to be a man of broad intelligence and genuine
public spirit, for these have been shadowed forth between the lines of this re-



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 3 of 62)