Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 30 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Clinical Society of the West Philadelphia General Hospital, Philadelphia Clini-
cal Pathological Society, West Jersey Homeopathic Medical Society, Public Edu-
cational Association and an honorary member of the Pi Upsilon Rho fraternity
of the Hahnemann Medical College and a member of Industry Lodge No. 131,
A. F. & A. M. He is a member of the ninth ward sectional school board.

Dr. Bernstein is the author of the following brochures on skin diseases: The
Evolution of Baldness ; Seborrhea — Its Manifestations, Diagnosis and Treatment
Methods ; Topical Cutaneous Therapy ; Tuberculo-Dermata — Manifestations,
Diagnostics and Treatment Methods ; Modern Thoughts on Eczema ; Local Bald-
ness; Internal Cutaneous Therapy; Some of the More Common Skin Diseases;
Solidified Carbon-Dioxide in the Treatment of Cutaneous Neoplasms ; Contagious
Skin Diseases, their Relation to Public Health and Methods of Prevention of
Spread; Solidified Carbon-Dioxide in the Treatment of Cutaneous Neoplasms,
with a report of sixty-three cases successfully treated ; and Epithelioma, Its Mani-
festations, Diagnostics and Successful Treatment of with Carbon-Dioxide. He
also has in course of preparation a text-book on skin diseases for students and
medical practitioners entitled A Manual of the More Common Skin Diseases^
their Diagnosis and Treatment.

Dr. Bernstein takes a very prominent part in all of the activities of the va-
rious societies, etc., with which he is connected, and his time, aside from that de -
voted to a lucrative practice, is fully occupied in attending numerous medical
meetings, in preparing and delivering the many addresses which he is called upon
to make and in pursuing other literary work along the line of his specialty.



DESIDERIO ROMAN, M. D.

Dr. Desiderio Roman, chief surgeon of St. Luke's Hospital and one of the
eminent surgeons of Philadelphia, was bom in Nicaragua, Central America,
August 9, 1870. His father, Desiderio Roman, Sr., also a native of Nicaragua,
owned and conducted large coffee and sugar plantations there and was also prom-
inent as a factor in public life. For two terms, or eight years, he was mayor of
the city of Jinotepe, and also served as a member of the house of representatives
in congress. He was the father of the agricultural laws of the country which he



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 293

instituted and established while serving in congress. During his incumbency in
the position of mayor he secured the erection of the city hall, and many move-
ments which he caused to be instituted and carried forward to successful comple-
tion made him a public benefactor. His philanthropy, too, was far-reaching and
few classes of society did not benefit in some way or another by his efforts. In
1892 he came to the United States, where he traveled extensively and later spent
six months in journeying through Europe. His death occurred in Jinotepe in
1905, when he had reached the age of eighty-one years. His wife. Carmen
(Reyes) Roman, was also a native of Jinotepe, and a daughter of a prominent
citizen there, who at one time was mayor of the town. Mrs. Roman was a most
charitable woman. She possessed unusual intellectual powers and was loved by
all because of the remarkable interest which she displayed in the poor and needy
of her town. At the time of her death it is said that she was mourned as much
by the commonwealth as by her own family. She gave most generously to the
public hospital but even more largely was hers a work of personal ministry in
assisting the needy in times of dire distress. She did not believe in letting others
do the work for her and in simply furnishing the money but went herself in per-
sonal service, her visits remaining as cherished memories in all tlie households
which she entered. She died in 1904, at the age of seventy-three years, but
though seven years have since passed away the story of her benefactions is still
told in Jinotepe.

In the family were five sons and four daughters, five of whom are yet living.
Jose Antonio Roman, the eldest of the brothers, was educated in Belgium, where
he received the degree of Civil and Agronomical Engineer. He served for eight
years as secretary of internal affairs in Nicaragua, was minister plenipotentiary
and envoy extraordinary in the settlement of the boundary question between
Nicaragua and Costa Rica, representing Nicaragua, while General Alexander,
under appointment of President Cleveland, appeared as arbitrator between the
two countries. He was also identified with the proposed building of the Nic-
araguan canal, and died in Jinotepe, October 17, 1909, at the age of fifty-nine
years. Another brother, Segunda Albino Roman, Doctor of Laws and graduate
of the University of Madrid, Spain, has been judge of the supreme court of
Nicaragua and secretary of state and foreign relations and a prefect or governor
of the department of Carazo. Jose Leon Roman, a public man and prominent
merchant, is yet residing in Jinotepe. Dr. Victor Manuel Roman, also a resident
of the same city, is a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, of Philadelphia,
of the class of 1896, and is now engaged in the general practice of medicine.
The daughters, Delores and Juana, are both at home.

Dr. Desiderio Roman, the only representative of the family in the United
States, was graduated from the National Institute of Granada, Nicaragua, which
conferred upon him the degrees of A. B. and A. M. He afterward came to the
United States and took a preparatory course in medicine at the University Medi-
cal College of New York city and in 1890 matriculated in Hahnemann Medical
College of Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in April, 1893, with the
degree of M. D. He was a resident physician at Hahnemann Hospital from
May of that year until May, 1894, and was city visiting physician from the lat-
ter date until July, 1895, when he went to Europe to pursue post-graduate medi-



294 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

cal studies, entering the University of Vienna, in which he spent one year
speciaHzing in diagnosis, pathology and surgery. He afterward went to Berlin,
Paris and London, where he studied special surgery, returning to the United
States in 1897 and then spent a year in Central America in the study of tropical
diseases, returning to Philadelphia in July, 1898.

Here Dr. Roman began the practice of special surgery in which connection
he has gained well merited distinction. For thirteen years he was associated with
Dr. Carl V. Vischer, now deceased. In 1898 he became associate surgeon to
St. Luke's Hospital of this city and succeeded to the position of chief surgeon
upon the death of Dr. Vischer in 1906. He is also consulting surgeon to the
HomcEopathic Hospital of Wilmington, Delaware, and professor of clinical sur-
gery of St. Luke's Hospital of this city. His professional memberships are with
the American Institute of Homoeopathy, the Homoeopathic Society of the State
of Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia County Medical Society, the Germantown
Homoeopathic Medical Society, the Oxford Medical Society, the Clinical Patho-
logical Society, and the Carl V. Vischer Medical and Surgical Society, which he
organized January 17, 1907, in memory of his most honored and esteemed
associate.

In membership relations other than professional. Dr. Roman is a Mason and
belongs also to the Presbyterian church of Middletown, Pennsylvania. His po-
litical allegiance is given to the republican party but lack of time and inclination
both prevent him from taking active part in political work as a seeker for office.
Pleasantly situated in his home life, he was married March 10, 1909, in Phil-
adelphia, to Miss Jessie Grange, a daughter of William Grange, a stock broker,
who is a member of the Union League and the Art Club, and also interested in
other enterprises. Mrs. Roman is a direct descendant of President Buchanan
and is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She acquired
her education in Geneva, Switzerland, and also in leading schools of Germany,
France, and Florence, Italy. She takes a deep and sincere interest in hospital
work and is prominent and active in numerous social organizations. Well de-
veloped intellectual powers and attractive social qualities render both Dr. and
Mrs. Roman popular in the circles in which they move.



LEVI B. McCLEES.



Among those who by their activity and enterprise have left their impress up-
on the business development of Philadelphia was numbered Levi B. McClees,
who for thirty-five years was connected with mercantile interests as a dealer in
school and church furniture. He died September 3, 1905, and the community
thereby lost a representative citizen.

He was born in Philadelphia, October 24, 1842, and pursued his education in
the public schools. He engaged in teaching in Wyers Military Academy at West
Chester but toward the close of the Civil war put aside all business and personal
considerations and enlisted in the Union army, rendering valiant aid to the cause
which he championed. After his return from the war he entered the employ of




L. B. McCLEES



TEE NEW YORI^
PUBLIC LiSRARY



ASTOR, LS»»OX IMS
TILDEN FSUNBATIOMe,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 297

Bancroft & Company as a salesman and remained with tliat house for a number
of years. Twenty-five years prior to his death he established a business on his
own account as a dealer in church and school furniture and conducted one of
the leading houses of this character in the east. His business grew to large pro-
portions and the enterprise became one of the important commercial interests of
the city. In addition he was also the president of the Manheim Building & Loan
Association and in matters of business management displayed keen sagacity and
splendid executive ability.

In 1876 Mr. McClees was married to Miss Susanna E. Haines, of White-
marsh, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Jacob VV-. Haines, who lived at Fort Wash-
ington. Mr. and Mrs. McClees held- membership in the Market Square Presby-
terian church and he was a member of the Bible class taught by General Louis
Wagner. In the various departments of the church work he took deep interest
and was always an advocate of any project or measure which he believed bene-
ficial to the public. At one time he held membership in Post No. 51, G. A. R.,
but later became a member of the famous Meade Post, No. i. In Masonry he
was widely known. He was a past master of Perkins Lodge, No. 402, A. F. &
A. M., a past high priest of Oriental Chapter, No. 183, R. A. M. ; a past eminent
commander of Philadelphia Commandery, K. T., also attained the thirty-third
degree of the consistory. His political allegiance was given to the republican
party. He was faithful to every trust, a thorough gentleman, always courteous
and kindly, and with unfaltering spirit supported every cause which he believed
to be for the benefit of the community at large.



FRANK PERLEY HOWE.

Frank Perley Howe, whose business associations have largely been in connec-
tion with the iron and steel industries, which constitute the chief source of rev-
enue for the state of Pennsylvania, was born September 19, 1852, in Philadelphia,
a son of the Rev. M. A. De Wolf Howe, bishop of the Episcopal diocese of cen-
tral Pennsylvania, and Elizabeth (Marshall) Howe. He is a representative of
early New England ancestry and is entitled to membership with the Sons of the
American Revolution because of representation of the family in the war for in-
dependence. In the pursuit of his education he attended Brown University, from
which he won the Bachelor of Arts degree upon his graduation in 1872, and Le-
high University, from which he was graduated in 1878 with the E. of M. degree.
Soon afterward he became connected with the iron industry at the rolling mill
in Reading belonging to the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company. Ability,
close application, laudable ambition and definite aim won him promotion, and
he eventually became superintendent of the Montour Iron & Steel Company.
Subsequently he was made general manager of the North Branch Steel Company
and afterward elected vice president of William Wharton, Jr., & Company.
His advance in business circles is indicated by the fact that he is today president
of the Cranberry Iron & Coal Company, the Cranberry Furnace Company, the
East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad Company, and the La Fol-



298 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

lette Iron Company. He is also a director of the North Pennsylvania Rail-
road. The success which has been the logical sequence of his efforts and keen dis-
cernment now places him with the successful business men of Philadelphia. He
brings to business affairs that ready discrimination that results in prompt solu-
tion of intricate problems.

On the I2th of May, 1882, in Reading, Pennsylvania, Mr. Howe was married
to Miss Katharine Scott Woodward, a daughter of Judge Warren J. Woodward,
a justice of the supreme court of Pennsylvania, and a granddaughter of Judge
Scott. Mr. and Mrs. Howe have a daughter, Christine Howe.

The political opinions of Mr. Howe lead him to support republican principles
and candidates at the polls. He is well known in club circles, being a member of
the University and Philadelphia Country Clubs of Philadelphia and the Engin-
eers Club of New York. The talents with which nature endowed him he has
wisely used and the opportunities which have surrounded him have been so im-
proved that the business world has accorded him leadership and the general pub-
lic entertains for him the admiration and high respect which are instinctively
given those who advance beyond the majority of mankind without founding their
success upon the wreck of other men's fortunes.



WILLIAM MEADE FLETCHER.

William Meade Fletcher is a lawyer of wide renown and, while residing in
Philadelphia, practices as well in New York, Chicago and other leading cities of
the country. In his practice he has specialized in the department of corporation
law and has come to be regarded as one of the foremost representatives of this
particular field of jurisprudence. A native of Rappahannock county, Virginia,
his general education was pursued at the Episcopal high school near Alexandria,
Virginia, and the University of Virginia at Charlottesville, Virginia, where he
also took up the study of law, and on the completion of the prescribed course
won his professional degree of Bachelor of Law. He was then admitted to prac-
tice at the bar of Virginia but sought the opportunity of the growing north-
west and went to Montana, where he represented professionally some of the
largest banking and mining corporations and business interests of that state. At
the age of twenty-two, Mr. Fletcher was a director of and attorney for the North-
western National Bank of Great Falls, Montana. He was also general counsel
for Conrad Brothers, one of the wealthiest firms in the west, whose interests
extended over several states and including large mining, mercantile, banking,
stock-raising and agricultural enterprises.

Desiring a larger field for his efforts, in 1895, he removed to Chicago and
became a member of the firm of Collins, Goodrich, Darrow & Vincent. Upon
the dissolution of this firm in November, 1895, Mr. Fletcher formed a co-part-
nership with its senior member, Lorin C. Collins, who for twelve years had been
on the circuit bench of Cook county, Illinois, and who had resigned therefrom
in 1892 to become a member of the firm of Collins, Goodrich, Darrow & Vincent.
The firm of Collins & Fletcher enjoyed a large and diversified practice. During



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 299

its existence it was recognized as being one of the foremost legal firms in Chi-
cago and none stood higher. In 1903 it was dissolved, and Mr. Fletcher, owing
to important corporate affiliations in the east removed to Philadelphia. Shortly
afterward Judge Collins accepted a position on the supreme court of the Pan-
ama Canal Zone.

Not only has Mr. Fletcher been accorded an extensive practice of a most im-
portant character, but he has also done work in the educational and literary field
which has commanded wide attention. He was professor of equity jurisprudence,
pleading and practice in the John Marshall Law School of Chicago from 1898
until 1901, when he resigned this position to accept a professorship in the law
school of the Northwestern University. His contributions to legal literature are
numerous. Among these is his treatise on "Equity Pleading and Practice" (1902),
a book of fourteen hundred pages, which has been adopted as a text-book in
many of the leading law schools and which is generally regarded by the courts and
the legal profession as the standard modern authority on this subject. Mr. Fletch-
er's latest contribution to legal literature is a work of thirteen hundred pages en-
titled, "Fletcher on Illinois Corporations," which was published in 1910. Al-
though he is prominently known in connection with corpbration practice, he con-
tinues in the field of general law practice with an extensive clientele in Phila-
delphia, New York, Chicago and other cities. He is solicitor for the First
National Bank of Philadelphia and for a number of other important corpora-
tions here and elsewhere.

Mr. Fletcher is a member of the Law Association of Philadelphia and the
Pennsylvania, Illinois and Chicago Bar Associations. He is also a member of the
Lawyers, Racquet, Southern. Philadelphia Cricket, White Marsh Valley Country
and White Marsh \'alley Hunt Clubs of Philadelphia, the Lawyers Club of New
York, and the Chicago Club of Chicago.

Mr. Fletcher was married in 1896 to Miss Florence Lea, a daughter of J.
Tatnall Lea, of Philadelphia, and there has been born of this union one son.
William Meade Fletcher, Jr.



WILLIAM HACKENBURG TELLER, M. D.

A graduate of the medical tlepartment of the University of Pennsylvania at
the age of nineteen years. Dr. William Hackenburg Teller has since practiced
his profession in Philadelphia, his native city. He was born August 30, 1867,
one of the nine children of David and Rebecca (Hackenburg) Teller. The
father was born on the River Rhine in Germany and came to the United States
in boyhood, making his way to Wilmington, North Carolina, but when the dis-
cussion of slavery became a general one he gave up his slaves and moved to
Philadelphia.

In the public schools of his native city, Dr. Teller pursued his preliminarv
education and was afterward graduated from the dental department of the
University of Pennsylvania. He completed the course but did not take the
diploma on account of his youth. He then entered the medical department and



b



300 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

was only nineteen years of age when he was there graduated on the ist of May,
1886. He displayed the ability of many a man of much older years, not only
in knowledge acquired from books but in that practical judgment which is so
necessary an element to the successful physician. Immediately following his
graduation he became resident physician at the Jewish Hospital, where he re-
mained until September, 1889. He then became chief resident physician of
the Jewish Hospital and assistant to the president, remaining in active connec-
tion with that institution until September i, 1892, since which time he has been
engaged in private practice, and is chief surgeon to the Jewish Hospital. He
belongs to the American Medical Association, the Philadelphia County Medical
Society, the Pathological Society, the Pediatric Society and the Philadelphia
Medical Club, and is president of the Association of ex-Resident and Resident
Physicians of the Jewish Hospital.

On the 14th of February, 1895, Dr. Teller was married to Miss Julie Espen.
They have two daughters.



JOHN H. MINDS.



John H. Minds, attorney at law with offices in the Mutual Life building, was
born in Mahanoy, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, April 9, 1871. His father,
James H. Minds, also a native of Schuylkill county, was of Irish parentage and
a son of James Minds, who came to America from Ireland when a young lad
and established his home in Schuylkill county, where for many years he was a
resident. His son James H. Minds was there reared upon the home farm but
most of his life has been spent in the bituminous coal regions as a coal operator.
For the past thirty years or more he has been operating in the collieries of Qear-
iield county and his successful management of his business interests and the wise
utilization of his time and opportunities have brought him a competency. He
has for many years been an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church,
in which he has long held office. He has attained high rank in Masonry, is a
member of the Odd Fellows society and gives his political allegiance to the repub-
lican party. In educational matters he has always taken an ardent interest, giv-
ing to all practical projects for the advancement of education his earnest sup-
port and indorsement.

James H. Minds married Julia Dorley, a native of Ireland, who came to the
United States in her girlhood days with her parents, who located in Schuylkill
county. Her father, John Dorley, was a man of means and spent the evening
of his life among his children, relieved of the necessity of further toil in the at-
tainment of a livelihood. The Gilmore family, of which John H. Minds is a
representative in the maternal line, has figured prominently in connection with
the military history of the country, its representatives participating in the Revolu-
tionary, Mexican and Civil wars. James H. Minds was also a soldier in the war
between the north and the south, enlisting in the Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania
Infantry when a youth of seventeen years.

Unto James H. and Julia (Dorley) Minds there were born twelve children,
of whom six daughters and five sons are yet living. John H. Minds, the eldest




.KIIIN II. MINDS



TEBE NEW YORK
FU0LIC LIBRARY



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 303

of this family, acquired his preparatory education in Dickinson Seminary at Wiil-
iamsport, Pennsylvania, and in the fall of 1893 entered the junior class of the
Wharton School of Finance and Economy of the University of Pennsylvania.
He was graduated in 1895 with the degree of B. S. and immediately afterward
entered the law department, from which he won his Bachelor of Law degree in
1898. He began practice the following January, entering the office of James
M. Beck, then United States district attorney and now one of the prominent
members of the New York city bar. He was fortunate in his association with a
lawyer of such distinction and profited by his instruction and advice for four
years. Since tiiat time he has maintained offices in the Mutual Life building in
an independent practice. While he is known as a general practitioner and has
been very successful in various fields of jurisprudence, his legal work has been
more especially confined to the orphans court and to corporation law. For the
past two years he has been counsel for the auditor general of the state.

Mr. Minds was for eight years regimental adjutant of the Sixth Regiment of
the Pennsylvania National Guard and is now adjutant general of the Fourth
Brigade. His political indorsement is given to the republican party and, appre-
ciative of the social amenities, he holds membership in the University Club, the
Union League, the Philadelphia Barge Club and the Le Coin D'or.



THOMAS MARTINDALE.

A man of well rounded character is Thomas Martindale. An observing eye
and retentive memory have brought him wide knowledge of life in its various
phases — the life of the city where competition is great and man seems to have
but one object in life — the attainment of wealth — and the life of the country-
side, where to him forest and plain, rugged mountain and placid stream each
have their charm. Forced to start to earn his own living at a very early age,
the book of nature has practically constituted his curriculum, and he has studied
it in all its wide range from the lowest types of vegetation to its culmination in
mankind — and in all he has seen something interesting, something good, some-
thing inspiring and something ennobling. When the individual fills his life with
these "good things" there is little room left for aught else, and thus it has been
with Thomas Martindale, whose career has been preeminently a successful one
if we regard success as the attainment of one's purpose and not the mere ac-
quisition of wealth. Mr. Martindale is a wealthy man, but business is but one
phase of his life. He knows the joys of authorship, the "pleasure of the path-



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 30 of 62)