Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 45 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the Young Men's Christian Association. He has ever regarded life as some-
thing more than the opportunity for the attainment of success and the advance-
ment of individual progress. He recognized the obligations and responsibilities
of life and has ever been ready to extend a helping hand where aid is needed —
not alone the aid that ministers to the material wants, but that aid which en-
courages and inspires to personal effort and the development of all that is best
in the individual. He has been for many years an enthusiastic motorist.



FRANK ASBURY SHUTE.

Frank Asbury Shute, deceased, was the proprietor of the first steam laundry
in Pennsylvania and was long numbered among the enterprising and success-
ful residents of Philadelphia. His birth occurred at Mullica Hill, New Jersey,
on the loth of July, 1840, his parents being Joseph and Sarah Ann (Campbell)
Shute, of that place. He acquired his early education in the schools of his home
locality and subsequently attended the Annapolis Naval Academy. After leav-
ing that institution he was engaged in the book publishing business for a time,
while in 1864 he became the proprietor of the first steam laundry in Pennsyl-
vania. His undertakings in this connection were attended with a gratifying
measure of prosperity, for he was a man of excellent executive ability and
sound judgment. He was likewise a director of the Jefiferson Insurance Com-
pany of Philadelphia. In 1861 he joined the Third New Jersey Volunteer In-
fantry and participated in several battles, ever proving a most loyal and valorous
defender of the Union cause. He was wounded and was discharged from the
convalescent hospital after having been connected with the army for two years.

On the 25th of November, 1868, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr. Shute
was united in marriage to Miss Anna M. Maxwell, a daughter of Andrew R.



448 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

and Emily (Maull) Maxwell. Unto them were born the following children:
Emelie S., now the wife of G. Wilbur Taylor, of Camden, New Jersey; Andrew
M., who wedded Miss Minnie Cooper, of Edinburgh, Scotland; Frank A., who
married Miss Flora Packard, of Boston, Massachusetts; and Mabel Estelle,
who gave her hand in marriage to William W. Levering, of Philadelphia.

Mr. Shute gave his political allegiance to the republican party, while in re-
ligious faith he was a Methodist. He was a worthy exemplar of the Masonic
fraternity, belonging to the blue lodge, the commandery and the shrine. He
was likewise identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and held a
high office in the local lodge. His widow, who makes her home at No. 2015
Mount Vernon street in Philadelphia, enjoys a wide and favorable acquaintance
here.



GEORGE WASHINGTON SMITH, M. D.

Dr. George Washington Smith, whose death occurred December 14, 1910,
was engaged for more than a third of a century in the general practice of
medicine in Philadelphia and was a representative of one of the oldest Phila-
delphia families, his ancestors having settled in this city in 1682. Only re-
cently had William Penn founded his little colony in the midst of the wilderness
of the western world.

Dr. Smith was born in Haverford, Pennsylvania, April 20, 1843, ^ son of
Hon. Bartine Smith, a prominent judge of Delaware county. While spending
his youthful days in his parents' home Dr. Smith pursued his education in the
public schools of Haverford, after which he took up the profession of teaching
and manifested such ability in that field of labor that he was advanced to the
principalship of the Swedesboro Academy. He also became principal of the
Friends high school of Woodstown and the Oxford high school of New Jersey.
He regarded this, however, merely as an initial step to other professional labor
and with the determination of becoming a member of the medical fraternity
he came to Philadelphia in 1874 and matriculated in Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege, from which he was graduated in 1876. Immediately afterward he was
appointed to a position in the dispensary and later was appointed on the medi-
cal staff of the Children's Homeopathic Hospital of Philadelphia, in which
position he was the incumbent until his demise. Moreover, he had a large pri-
vate practice and, unlike many members of the profession, did not specialize
in a particular line but continued in general practice with ability that qualified
him for the onerous and varied duties that devolved upon him in that con-
nection. He kept in touch with the most advanced scientific investigation
through his membership in the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, the Phila-
delphia Medical Society and other organizations. He was at one time president
of the Germantown Medical Society and at the time of his death was president
of the Carl V. Vischer Medical and Surgical Society, also holding membership
in the Voenninghausen Medical Club and the Oxford Medical Club.

In 1868 Dr. Smith wedded Miss Mary Fairlamb, a daughter of John Fair-
lamb, belonging to one of the most prominent families of Delaware county.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 449

Pennsylvania, her ancestors having been members of the Pennsylvania colony
in 1685. Unto Dr. and Mrs. Smith were born a daughter and two sons, Mrs.
Agnes Zelley, Dr. Ernest B. Smith and Lynnley G. Smith, now a student in the
Hahnemann Medical College. The older son is a graduate of Hahnemann Medi-
cal College of the class of 1900 and is now practicing medicine in this city.
He married Miss Clementine Balfour and they have one daughter, Margaret
Balfour Smith.

Dr. Smith was a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the His-
torical Society of Pennsylvania. While he studied broadly in professional lines,
he was also well versed in literature, especially in poetry, and the reading and
writing of poetry constituted for him a diversion from the onerous professional
duties which devolved upon him. He was the composer of considerable poetic
verse but indulged in this only for his personal pleasure. His scholarly attain-
ments rendered him a favorite in cultured circles, while his close conformity to
a high standard of professional ethics gained him the unqualified regard of his
fellow practitioners of the city.



JOSEPH FITHIAN TATEM.

Joseph Fithian Tateni, attorney at law, was born in Haddonfield, New Jer-
sey, August 20, 1869, a son of Joseph B. and Mary E. (Ware) Tatem. Both
the Tatem and Ware families have been identified with the history of southern
New Jersey for more than two hundred years.

In the public schools of Haddonfield Joseph Fithian Tatem began his edu-
cation, which was continued in the Rittenhouse Academy of Philadelphia and
in the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was
graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1889. His professional course
was pursued in the Harvard Law School, which in 1894 conferred upon him the
LL. B. degree. Pie had been admitted to the New Jersey bar as an attorney in
1893 and as a counselor in 1897.

In 1894 he was admitted to practice before the courts of Philadelphia and
since that time has maintained an office in this city, being located in the Drexel
building until 1897, when he removed to his present offices in the Stephen
Girard building. He has also maintained an office in Camden, New Jersey,
since 1893, and has always continued in the practice of mercantile and corpora-
tion law. As counselor and advocate he has been connected with many im-
portant professional cases, a large number of which have been decided before
the courts, and his strong and forceful presentation of his case, combined with
the correctness of his position has won for him many favorable verdicts. Aside
from his profession he has been interested in various connections in real estate
and in the development of a number of sections in southern New Jersey. More-
over, corporate interests have benefited by the soundness of his judgment and
his active cooperation. He is one of the directors of Collingswood National
Bank, the Marine National Bank of Wildwood, New Jersey, and the Ocean



450 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

City Title & Trust Company. He is also solicitor and counselor for these com-
panies and other well known corporations and financial institutions in the
southern part of New Jersey.

On the lOth of September, 1896, Mr. Tatem was married to Miss Minnie
A. Moore, a daughter of Henry D. and Mary J. Moore, of Haddonfield, and
they are the parents of five children: Joseph M., who was born in 1898; Mary
T., in 1900; Antoinette W., in 1904; Sylvia J., in 1906; and Robert M., in
1909. The family reside at No. 35 Grove street, Haddonfield.

Mr.Tatem served as an ensign in the United States navy from May until
November, 1898, and participated in the battle of Santiago de Cuba on the 3d
of July. He is a member of the University and Poor Richard Clubs of Phil-
adelphia and is a communicant of the Presbyterian church, in the work of
which he has for many years been active, particularly in connection with the
Presbyterian brotherhood, acting as president of the New Jersey state organi-
zation for some years. Choosing a profession in which advancement depends
entirely upon individual ability, he made steady progress therein, and his suc-
cess as a lawyer enabled him to extend his efforts into other fields, so that he
is now a well known representative of real estate and financial interests.



GEORGE H. McNEELY.

George H. McNeely, engaged in the manufacture of glazed kid as a member
of the firm of McNeely & Price, and well known in financial circles as the vice
president of the Central Trust Company, was born in Philadelphia, October 12,
1870. His parents were William T. and Catherine (Hummel) McNeely. The
father was engaged in the manufacture of glazed kid under the firm name of
McNeely & Company. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent and was established
in Philadelphia in the latter part of the eighteenth century.

George H. McNeely was sent to the public schools and afterward became a
student of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in
1889. He then turned his attention to business pursuits and was associated with
the firm of which his father was a partner from the time of his graduation until
1895, during which period he gained extended knowledge of the business in its
various phases and was well qualified to carry on an undertaking of his own
when, sixteen years ago, he joined with N. G. Price in forming the firm of Mc-
Neely & Price, manufacturers of and dealers in glazed kid. Their business has
grown along substantial lines and has reached gratifying proportions. Mr. Mc-
Neely has thus won recognition as a leading representative of trade interests in
Philadelphia and, extending his efl^orts into other fields, he is now vice president
and one of the directors of the Central Trust Company. All recognize the sound-
ness of his business judgment as well as the spirit of enterprise that actuates him
in the conduct of business affairs. He is now president of the Morocco Manu-
facturers Association.

Mr. McNeely was married in Philadelphia and has two children. His political
allegiance is given to the republican party and his fraternal relations are with




GEOKCE II. McXEELY



"OX AMIS



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 453

Corintliian Lodge, F. & A. M. He is a member and director of the Manufacturers
Club and vice president of the Athletic Club of Philadelphia. He also belongs
to the Union League, the Racquet, the Philadelphia Country Club and the Corin-
thian Yacht Club. He is very fond of athletics and outdoor sports, especially
of golf, but he never allows such interests to interfere with the capable and effi-
cient management of his ditTerent affairs. He knows the joy and pleasure that
comes through the accomplished task in business circles and the correct solution
of intricate problems, and with unremitting energy bends his efforts to the ac-
complishment of what he undertakes.



JOHN HERR. MUSSER, M. D. LL. D.

John Herr Musser, professor of clinical medicine in the medical department
of the University Pennsylvania, was born in Strasburg, Lancaster county,
Pennsylvania, June 22, 1856. He is a son of Benjamin and Naomi (Herr)
Musser. His father and also his paternal grandfather, Martin Musser, and his
paternal great-grandfather, Benjamin Musser, were physicians of Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania. They were the descendants of Benjamin Musser, of
Swiss origin, who, emigrating to America in 1714, bought land of William
Penn. On the maternal side the grandfather. Bishop John Herr, of the Men-
nonite church, was also descended from a Swiss family.

John Herr Musser attended the grammar and high school of Strasburg and
took his classical course at the Alillersville State Normal School. He then en-
tered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, where he took
the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1877. Dr. Musser's career has been that
which is usual in a professional career and may be divided into that of a prac-
titioner of medicine, hospital physician, teacher of medicine, writer, participant
in medical societies pertaining to the practice of medicine and teaching, and
to the organization of the profession. After one year as interne in the Phila-
delphia Hospital (Blockley) he was devoted to general practice for the first
fifteen years. Internal medicine was then taken up as special work and con-
sultation practice began. The latter and office practice has been the character
of his work for the past fifteen years. Because of consultation work, many
hospitals and institutions have made him consultant, notably the Jewish Hos-
pital of Philadelphia, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women, the Woman's
Hospital of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Hospital, the Germantown Hospital,
the Chestnut Hill Hospital, and various homes of a charitable character.

As hospital physician. Dr. Musser served as dispensary physician, patholo-
gist and visiting physician consecutively to the Presbyterian Hospital of Phila-
delphia, as registrar, chief of the medical dispensary and physician successively
to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, holding at present in these
institutions the last positions named. He was twenty years physician to the
Philadelphia Hospital, resigning to become consultant to that institution. In
the hospital work his studies were chiefly along lines of morbid anatomy and



454 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

diagnosis. As teacher, Dr. Musser began as quiz master, later demonstrator of
clinical medicine, associate professor and then professor of clinical medicine in
the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania. The professorship
of clinical medicine was the highest honor Dr. Musser aspired to, as it was
his aim to be a clinician and that alone in his career. He is director of the
department of medical research of the University of Pennsylvania.

Dr. Musser was elected corresponding member of the Sixth International
Anti-Tuberculosis Association in September, 1907. An honorary fellowship of
the Institute of Hygiene, London, England, was conferred upon him in July,
1908. He was appointed first lieutenant of the Medical Reserve Corps by Presi-
dent Roosevelt in September, 1908, and was- elected president of the American
School of Hygiene Association in June, 1909. The same year he was elected
honorary member of the Budapest Royal Society of Physicians. In April,
1910, he was elected vice president of the Pennsylvania Society for Prevention
of Tuberculosis. Dr. Musser served as president of the Pathological Society
from 1893 to 1897, and as president of the Philadelphia County Medical So-
ciety in 1899, while in 1904 he was honored with the presidency of the Ameri-
can Medical Association. Dr. Musser was president of the Philadelphia Medi-
cal Club; is president of the National Medical Library Association; is a mem-
ber of the board of trustees of the Drexel Institute of Philadelphia and of the
Phipps Institute for the Study of Tuberculosis, representing the faculty of the
University of Pennsylvania in that board. He is also a member of the board
of managers of the University Settlement House. Among the various other
societies and associations with which Dr. Musser is identified may be named
the following: National Geographic Society; honorary member of the South
Carolina Medical Association ; Virginia State Medical Association ; New York
State Medical Association ; honorary member of the Academy of Medicine,
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; American Association for the Advancement of
Science; fellow of the College of Physicians; Philadelphia County Medical So-
ciety; Pennsylvania State Medical Society; Association of American Physi-
cians; American Climatalogical Society; and Philadelphia Neurological Society.

In addition to contributions to current literature and scientific organizations,
Dr. Musser is the author of a Medical Diagnosis (6th edition in preparation)
and of articles in Hare's System of Therapeutics, and of the article on pneu-
monia in Osier's System of Medicine; editor of the volume on Diseases of the
Lungs, Nothnagel's Encyclopedia; editor with Dr. A. O. J. Kelley of a System
of Therapeutics.

Dr. Musser started social service work in the hospital of the University of
Pennsylvania and is the president of the organization. He likewise started
tuberculosis classes in the Presbyterian Hospital and has been active for a
number of years in the settlement work of the University of Pennsylvania.
In recognition of his many contributions toward science and literature, Frank-
lin and Marshall College conferred upon him the degree of LL. D. He is a
member of the following clubs : Rittenhouse, Union League, charter member of
Franklin Inn, charter member of Philobiblon Club, Country Club and Century
Club of New York city.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 455

On September 16, 1880, Dr. Musser was united in marriage to Miss Agnes
Gardner Harper and to them have been born four children; John Herr, Jr.;
May Harper, the wife of Professor Richard Mills Pearce; Naomi, who mar-
ried Ralph Evans, a prominent attorney of Philadelphia ; and Agnes G. The
family residence is at 2047 Chestnut street, Philadelphia.



HENRY R. SHOCH.



The name of Henry R. Shoch has long been a familiar one in building and
real-estate circles in Philadelphia, nor is it without substantial significance in
public affairs for Mr. Shoch has been for a number of years to a greater or
less degree an influential factor in the life of the city. He was born in Upper
Merion, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, September 16, 1844, and his father,
Joseph R. Shoch, a man of high character, was one of the best known residents
of this part of the state. The family name indicates the German origin, al-
though the ancestors of our subject have long been American citizens, his
grandfather and his great-grandfather having both Jjeen born at Frankford,
Pennsylvania. Each bore the name of Henry R. Shoch, a name that has stood
for several generations as a synonym for progressive citizenship and business
reliability in Pennsylvania. Henry R. Shoch, the grandfather, married a Miss
Roberts, a member of a Welsh Quaker family. In the maternal line the sub-
ject of this review is descended from a family represented in the military his-
tory of the country, his maternal grandfather having shouldered the musket
when but seventeen years of age. His daughter, Mary Thornton, was born
near Huddersfield, England, and when eight years of age crossed the Atlantic
with her parents to the new world. Her mother bore the maiden name of
Dyson and was also a representative of an old English family.

The youthful days of Henry R. Shoch of this review were largely devoted
to the acquirement of an education in the public schools of Upper Merion. His
home training, too, was such as developed in him self-reliance, enterprise and
integrity — qualities which have been numbered among his salient features
throughout the entire period of his manhood. When but eighteen years of age
he left home and came to Philadelphia, where he learned the carpenter's trade,
applying himself with such thoroughness that he soon became an expert work-
man. For ten years he devoted himself entirely to carpentering in the employ
of others but when twenty-seven years of age he embarked in the building busi-
ness on his own account. He soon demonstrated his skill not only as a builder
but as a supervisor of the labors of others and his contracts became more nu-
merous and important. He remained in the building business from 1871 until
1891, and in that time constructed some of the most beautiful residences of the
city. He has continuously studied constructive points of architecture and his
buildings combine at once substantial features with comfort and beauty. He
has operated also in real estate, becoming the owner of desirable property, and
his holdings class him now with the men of affluence in Philadelphia. Becoming
interested in property a few years ago he is at present one of the largest deal-



456 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

ers in and promoters of building lots in the eastern part of the state. He is
one of the directors of the Tenth National Bank of Philadelphia and takes
active and helpful part in its management. He is also one of the directors of
the Commonwealth Title & Trust Company and secretary and treasurer of the
Automobile Sales Corporation of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Shoch has not only gained for himself a creditable position in business
circles but has also left his impress upon the political history of the city, in
which connection he has been made the recipient of many honors, his fellow
townsmen warmly appreciating his worth, ability, patriotism and public spirit.
In 1884 he was chosen to represent the twenty-ninth ward in the select council
and remained a member of that body for three terms, exercising his official pre-
rogative in support of various measures for the general good. He was elected
and served one term as city treasurer and was chosen first member of the select
council from the new forty-seventh ward. Outside of office he is equally loyal
to the best interests of the city and his labors are of a practical character which
produce substantial results not only for the present but also in recognition of
the needs and demands of the future.

On the i8th of December, 1870, Mr. Shoch was married to Miss Sarah E.
Myers, a daughter of Tobias and Paolita Myers, well known German residents
of Bucks county, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Shoch now have two daughters
and a son, Nettie Aurelia, Bessie Claire and James R. Mr. Shoch is a man of
strongly domestic habits and is seen at his best at his own fireside, where he is
a devoted husband and father and a genial host who delights in the entertain-
ment of his many friends.

In social circles and club life he is highly popular and is an active member
of several leading social organizations of the city, including the Union League
Club. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to William C. Hamilton
Lodge, A. F. & A. M. ; Oriental Chapter, R. A. M. ; and Kadosh Commandery,
K. T. His life history is an illustration of the fact that merit and ability will
come to the front anywhere and although he started out in a humble apprentice-
ship at the carpenter's trade, he is today a prosperous resident of Philadelphia,
recognized as a man of considerable weight and influence in municipal affairs.



JOHN BEDFORD SHOBER, M. D.

John Bedford Shober, physician and surgeon, who, actuated by high ideals
to his profession, has come to be recognized as one of the most able practitioners
of Philadelphia, his native city, was born August 28, 1859, a son of Samuel Lieb-
erkuhn and Ann Bond (Cochran) Shober, the latter a daughter of William G.
Cochran, of Philadelphia. The father was a successful merchant and the son
was provided liberal educational privileges, attending St. Paul's school at Con-
cord, New Hampshire, in preparation for a university course, which he pursued
at Princeton College, being graduated therefrom with the degree of Bachelor of
Arts in the class of 1882. His professional training was obtained in the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, where he completed a course in 1885.




hlf. .11 111 X v.. SIIDP.KK



.-.^i-iAHY






HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 459

The same year Dr. Shober was appointed resident physician in the Children's
Hospital and served as resident physician in the Pennsylvania Hospital in 1886
and 1887. In the latter year he took up post-graduate medical courses in some
of the most famous centers of learning of the old world, devoting his time be-



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 45 of 62)