Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 50 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 50 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


army during the Rebellion. After receiving his honorable discharge he returned
to the employ of the railway company. His death occurred on the 12th of Au-
gust, 1874, at Columbus, Ohio, while on business for the company in that city.
His demise, at the age of forty-eight, was deeply regretted by his widow and
a circle of friends and acquaintances, as he would undoubtedly have achieved
an enviable reputation as a railway officer had his life been spared. The mother
of our subject was born at Baltimore, Maryland, November 16, 1834. She re-
ceived her education in the private school of Harriet Beecher Stowe and was
married to Mr. Gillette at Baltimore, April 20, 1856.

After acquiring his preliminary education John R. Gillette entered Hahne-
mann Medical College, where he was graduated with the degree of M. D. in
1892. He served as resident physician of the Children's Homeopathic Hospital
and then went to Lowell, Massachusetts, where he began general practice but
returned to Philadelphia in 1893 and has ever since continuously made his home
in this city. He is a constant student and a close and accurate observer and
keeps well abreast of the times as to the advances in his profession, being one
of the well established and highly respected practitioners of the city. He was
for ten years a district physician of Philadelphia and has taken an active in-
terest in professional organizations, being a member of the American Institute
of Homeopathy, the Pennsylvania State Medical Association and the Philadel-
phia County Medical Society.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 601

On the 27th of October, 1892, Dr. Gillette was united in marriage to Miss
Reba A. Barkley, a daughter of George S. Barkley, of Philadelphia. On the
maternal side she is a lineal descendant of John Hart, the New Jersey signer
of the Declaration of Independence. One daughter has blessed the union of
Dr. and Mrs. Gillette, Dorothy Irene, who is now seventeen years of age.

Dr. Gillette is a stanch believer in the authority of the Bible and holds
membership in the Fourth Baptist church, being a liberal supporter of that
organization. As an intelligent and patriotic citizen he is deeply interested in
public affairs and in 1906 was elected to the Pennsylvania legislature and served
with great acceptance to his constituents. He has been urgently solicited to
accept nomination on two later occasions, but professional duties did not permit
him to reenter politics. He is a member of the Independent Citizens' Club and
for two years has been a member of the thirty-second ward sectional school
board. As a physician he ranks high among his professional brethren and his
patrons include many of the well known families of the city. His continuous
advancement has been highly gratifying to his friends and they prophesy for
him many years of increasing prosperity and usefulness.



JOSEPH LEVERING JONES.

Joseph Levering Jones, a practitioner at the Philadelphia bar has been, since
1875, in active general practice. He was born July 26, 1851, and is a son of
John Sidney and Catharine Elizabeth (Riter) Jones. His early education was
acquired near Boston. Upon his return to Philadelphia he was connected with
mercantile pursuits for a time and in 1871 registered as a student at law in the
office of Barger & Gross. He entered the law department of the University of
Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the degree of LL. B. in 1875.
In 1877 he became associated with Hampton L. Carson and Horace Castle as
editors of the Legal Gazette. Two years later he formed a law partnership with
William A. Redding, now of the New York bar, and Mr. Carson. Subse-
quently his partners included Alfred I. Phillips, Dimner Beeber, Hon. Joseph
F. Lamorelle, now a judge of the orphans' court, John Douglass Brown, Jr.,
Esq., and William MacLean, Jr., Esq., the firm for many years being known as
Jones, Carson & Beeber. It was dissolved by Mr. Beeber's promotion to the
bench, and Mr. Carson's withdrawal to individual practice.

His studies have been especially directed to commercial law, the law of
partnerships, of building associations, of trade-marks and of corporations. He
is interested officially in a number of corporations, some quasi public and some
benevolent. He edited Binney's reports, with notes, was editor of Finlason's
edition of Reeve's History of the English Law, published by Murphy in 1879.
He has delivered many addresses upon legal and other subjects.

On October 26, 1887, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Elizabeth Mercer
MacLean. They have seven children. His domestic life has not interfered with
considerable interest in movements and measures for the public good. He is
a trustee of the Chestnut Hill Academy, the Ri'dgefield Academy, the Univer-



502 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

sity of Pennsylvania, the Thomas W. Evans Museum and Institute Society and
other institutions. He is quite a student of poHtical and sociological problems.
He is a member of the University Club, the Penn Club, the Rittenhouse Club
and Union League, of which he was a director and secretary for several years.
No better estimate of a man's character can be given than by one who has
long been his close and intimate associate and has seen him tested by the duties
and delights which each day brings. He said: "He is modest and gentle, but
of great physical and moral courage. There is no limit to his natural capacity
as a lawyer; he makes a profound impression on all with whom he comes in
contact and gives abundantly of his ready stores of wisdom. He can quote old
English authors with aptitude. He is a man of very unusual qualities, com-
bining an affectionate imaginative nature with the jurist's and financier's clear
logical mind. He is a friend as true as steel and a charming companion."



GEORGE JACOB ROESCH.

It is fast becoming an acknowledged fact that the strongest and most force-
ful men today are those whose business affairs find a balance in recreation
or interests which give a different trend to thought and activity. While George
J. Roesch as president of the Consolidated Dressed Beef Company has made
for himself an enviable position in connection with the conduct of a colossal
enterprise, he is equally well known as an enthusiastic motorist and one whose
interests reach out in a familiar understanding of important municipal and
political questions of the day yet with no desire for political preferment. He
was born at Philadelphia, May i6, 1864, a son of Charles and Marie (Klee-
feld) Roesch. The family is of German origin and has been represented in
Philadelphia for sixty years or more, throughout which period the name has
been connected with the meat industry of the city.

In the public schools George J. Roesch pursued his education until he en-
tered Pierce's Business College where a commercial training fitted him for the
duties that have since devolved upon him. In 1887, when twenty-six years of
age, he became connected with the packing industry, and the development of his
interests and his ready ability to solve intricate business problems have brought
him to the position of president of the Consolidated Dressed Beef Company,
which has its offices at the West Philadelphia Stock Yards. Its trade has
reached colossal proportions and no representative of business circles in Phila-
delphia is held in higher esteem by his contemporaries and colleagues than
George J. Roesch. He is also president of the Philadelphia Animal Product
Company and the Consolidated Agricultural Chemical Company. These com-
panies were organized about 1906 and Mr. Roesch was prominent in their de-
velopment in the east. Moreover, he is connected with several banking institu-
tions. He is also vice president and a director of the Abraham Lincoln Mutual
Life Insurance Company, is a director of the F. A. Poth Brewing Company, a
director of the Ridge Avenue Bank and also of the Bank of Commerce.




GEORCiK J. KOESCH



[THE NEVv' Vr^l7
i PUBLIC LiSRARYl



I
i



f i



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 505

On the 30th of November, 1902, Mr. Roesch was married to Miss Mathilde
H. Poth, a daughter of F. A. Poth, president of the Poth Brewing Company.
Their children are Claire H. and Helene M. Mr. Roesch is a high tariff re-
publican and his efforts have been effective in support of party principles, yet
he can in no sense be called a politician. He has labored also for municipal
progress, and his energy is a resultant factor for the public good. He belongs
to Excelsior Lodge, F. & A. M., the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks,
and the Alanufacturers, Columbia, Philadelphia and Yacht Clubs. He is a
patron of art, music and the drama and is particularly fond of the opera, having
the characteristic German lovf .oLmJiaic He gr^tly enjoys outdoor sports and
many of his most pleasant lTt>OT«' are 'spent in tjie automobile as he speeds over
the country, finding in this 'extiilafating pastiriie the pleasure that counterbal-
ances the effect of strenuous business cares.



DAVID WALLERSTEIN.

David Wallerstein, a corporation lawyer confining his practice particularly
to that department of law relative to street railways, was born in Philadelphia,
March 23, 1863, and is a son of Edward and Caroline (Simons) Wallerstein,
the former a native of Prussia and the latter of Philadelphia. Coming to
America in 1859, the father settled in this city and here reared his family of
five children, of whom David Wallerstein is the eldest. Pursuing his educa-
tion in the public schools the son completed a course in the Central high school
with the class of June, 1879. He then studied law in the office of the Hon.
Richard Vaux and Michael Arnold and afterward attended the law school
of the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1883 when
twenty years of age. Admission to the bar cannot be secured until a man has
attained his majority and, therefore, it was 1884 before David Wallerstein was
admitted to practice.

In 1886 he removed to Kansas City, Missouri, where he continued in active
practice until 1892. In the summer of 1893 he returned to Philadelphia, where
he has since engaged in the practice of law. Of late years his attention has
been largely confined to corporation practice, particularly with reference to
street railways. He has taken part as counsel in litigation of much interest to
the public, the first case of the kind being the Commonwealth versus DeCamp,
in which he succeeded in having a councilman who was interested in city con-
tracts removed from his seat in the councils for that reason. Among other
cases of the kind with which Mr. Wallerstein has been connected was one which
involved the question of the right of the governor of the state of Pennsylvania
to veto a proposed constitutional amendment, the trial resulting in the verdict
that the governor had no such authority. Many of the cases on which Mr. Wal-
lerstein has been retained as counsel or advocate have been of widespread in-
terest, affecting the public welfare in considerable measure. His preparation
of cases is very thorough and his retentive memory as he cites fact, precedent
and principle has often excited the admiration of his contemporaries.
Vol. rv— 2 4



506 - - HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Mr. Wallerstein has long been interested in municipal politics and for many
years has been a member of the board of managers of the Municipal League.
He was also chairman of the Municipal League campaign committee in the
year 1898, was associate counsel for the mayor of Philadelphia in the summer
of 1905 and became assistant district attorney in December, 1905, remaining
as the incumbent in the office until January i, 1907.

On the nth of September, 1889, Mr. Wallerstein was married to Miss
Helen Coons of the city of Philadelphia and unto them have been born five
children, all of whom are now living. He belongs to the University Club and
the Philadelphia Cricket Club and is appreciative of the social amenities of
life. His reading and research have covered a wide range, including those
topics which are to the statesman and the man of affairs of vital import.



JESSE T. VOGDES.



Jesse T. Vogdes, chief engineer to the commissioners of Fairmount Park,
which position he has filled for thirteen years, was born in Philadelphia, June
27, 1858, a son of Jesse T. and Emma (Helmbold) Vogdes. The father, also
a native of this city, was a builder and for many years a well known figure in
the public life of Philadelphia. He was the first member of the select council
from West Philadelphia after the consolidation in 1854 and for many years was
closely, actively and helpfully identified with municipal affairs. He died in
1893, while his widow passed away in 1903. The Vogdes family is one of the
oldest of Philadelphia, the first representative of the name in this country hav-
ing come here previous to William Penn.

Jesse T. Vogdes acquired his education in the public schools and under pri-
vate tutors. Wishing to make civil engineering his life work, he pursued a
course of study to that end and entered upon the practice of his profession in
1878. He made continuous progress as experience developed his ability, and in
1878 he entered the survey department of the city service, there remaining until
April, 1883, when he became a member of the engineering corps of the Fair-
mount Park commission. In this department he was continually promoted as
he gave proof of his ability and fidelity until he was made head of the depart-
ment, having been appointed chief engineer and superintendent of Fairmount
Park on the nth of February, 1898, so that he has now held the office for thir-
teen years. The development and beautifying of Fairmount Park, the largest
municipal park in the world, is largely the result of his skill, care and high
ideals in this line. He takes just and commendable pride in making this one
of the most beautiful parks of the world and the work done is carried on along
the most scientific lines.

On the 13th of November, 1884, Mr. Vogdes was married to Miss Emma
C. Thomas, a daughter of Thomas and Emma Thomas, of Philadelphia. They
have five children: Joseph Johnson, Dorothy T., Russell Thayer, Mary E. and
Jesse T., Jr. The family residence is in West Fairmount Park.

Something of the nature of his interests and activities is indicated in the
fact that Mr. Vogdes is a member of the Franklin Institute, the American So-




JESSE T. VtXiDES



THE NIW YSmi I

PUBLIC imms\

;TOH, LINOX Aft?
0'.« F0UNDAT<eN6,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 509

ciety of Political and Social Science, the Union League, and the Masonic fra-
ternity. In both public and private life he is uniformly respected and his per-
sonal worth and merit have gained for him the responsible position which he
now occupies as a representative of municipal service.



CHARLES YOUNG AUDENRIED.

The Audenried family, origiriatmg" in Swabia, came to Pennsylvania toward
the end of the eighteenth century from the canton of Basel in Switzerland,
where it had long been domiciled. William Audenried, the grandfather of the
subject of this sketch, after having been engaged extensively in flour milling
and lumbering in Schuylkill county, for which district he had for a number
of years held a seat in the general assembly, first as representative and subse-
quently as senator, settled on a plantation in Cumberland county, opposite Har-
risburg, where he died in 1850. On his death his family moved to Philadelphia,
where his brother, Lewis Audenried, then resided. There his son, John T.
Audenried, engaged successfully in the business of mining and shipping an-
thracite coal and became well known as a man of affairs and a public-spirited
citizen.

Charles Young Audenried was the eldest child of John T. Audenried and
his wife Emma, the daughter of Charles Young, a wealthy merchant of Phila-
delphia, and was born in that city, December 9, 1863. After a preparatory
course at Rugby Academy, he entered the University of Pennsylvania in 1879.
In 1883 he graduated from its department of arts and, three years later, from
its law school. Having read law in the office of John G. Johnson, Esq., he was
admitted to the bar of Philadelphia in July, 1886. On his graduation from the
department of arts of his university he was awarded the H. LaBarre Jayne
prize for his Latin essay, "De Plebe Romana." While his only literary work
beyond this has been the annotation of the American editions of Lewin on
Trusts and Lindley on Partnership, he has always maintained an interest in
literary matters and is a director in the Athenaeum of Philadelphia. In 1892
he was elected one of the vice provosts of the Law Academy of Philadelphia
and in that position served for five years.

The death of his father in 1884 cast upon him at an early age the respon-
sibility of caring for large family interests and gave him an experience in active
business affairs such as seldom falls to the lot of a young lawyer. He became
secretary and treasurer of the Macungie Iron Company, treasurer of the Gas
Company of West Chester, president of the Frankford & Bristol Turnpike Com-
pany, director of the Upper Delaware River Transportation Company, director
of the State Line & Sullivan Railroad Company, and director of the National
Bank of the Northern Liberties.

His career in the service of the public began in the common council of his
native city, where from 1891 to 1894 he sat as representative of the eighth ward.
He represented the same ward in select council from 1894 to December 9, 1896,
when he resigned in order to accept from Governor Hastings an appointment



510 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

to fill the vacancy on the bench of court of common pleas No. 4 of Philadel-
phia county caused by the resignation of Hon. M. Russell Thayer. In 1897 he
was elected to serve in that position for the term of ten years from the first
Monday of January, 1898, and in 1907 was reelected for a further term of ten
years. Since his appointment to the bench Judge Au'denried has been concerned
in the disposition of many cases of the greatest importance, some of them in-
volving serious questions of municipal law or the application of constitutional
principles. Among them may be mentioned Commonwealth versus Hill ; Penn-
sylvania Railroad Company versus Philadelphia ; Bullitt versus Philadelphia
et al. ; Croasdill versus City ; and Commonwealth Title and Trust Company
versus Seltzer.

In 1898 Judge Audenried was married to Mary, daughter of Warren H.
Corning, of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1910, six years after her death, he married
again, his second wife being Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen Benton, of Phila-
delphia. He is a member of the Radnor Hunt; the Philadelphia Country Club;
the Lawyers' Club of Philadelphia; the Law Association of Philadelphia and
the Pennsylvania Historical Society. His residence is Lancaster House, at the
intersection of Lancaster and Drexel Roads in the suburb of Philadelphia known
as Overbrook.



WALTER HATFIELD.



Walter Hatfield was born in Philadelphia January i, 1852. He was a son
of Dr. Nathan Lewis Hatfield, who for nearly sixty years was a distinguished
practitioner of medicine in Philadelphia, having been graduated in 1826 and in
1875 president of the alumni of Jefferson Medical College.

The subject of this sketch has a patriotic ancestry. His paternal grand-
father and great-grandfather were respectively officers in the war of 1812 and
in the Revolution. The family plantations in New York and New Jersey ap-
pear among the lists of taxable estates as early as 1670. In 1682 one of his an-
cestors. Colonel Henry Pawling, who came to this country with Governor
Nichols in the service of the English crown, was given a grant of several thou-
sand acres of crown land in Ulster county near Esopus in the state of New
York, for meritorious military service rendered in the colonial wars and in
amicable settlements with the Indians. Subsequently John and Henry Pawling,
his descendants, were justices of the peace with Isaac Norris, Samuel Mifilin,
Thomas Willing and others, in Philadelphia county, from December 3, 1733,
the date of one of the commissions, until 1761, when the list of gentlemen
recommended for justices to the governor on February 28 of that year con-
tained the name of Henry Pawling. Another branch of the family operated the
old forge called the Valley Forge, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, made
famous as the headquarters of General Washington during the Revolution.
John Hatfield, an ancestor, in 1734 had a plantation in Hatfield township, Mont-
gomery county, which took its name from the family.

Walter Hatfield was from boyhood industrious and persevering. He was
prepared for college at the Classical School of Henry D. Gregory on Market




WALTKU IIATFIKI.n



PUBLIC LlgRARV



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 511

above Eleventh street, Philadelijliia, as were his elder brothers Nathan and
Douglass, and which his younger brother Henry Reed also attended. At school
he applied himself to his studies and won many prizes for proficiency. At the
age of sixteen he passed his examination for the full classical course at the
University of Pennsylvania and was matriculated in the department of arts in
the class of 1872. Among his classmates were Richard C. Dale, J. Rodman
Paul, Edward Hopkinson, Henry C. Olmsted, Samuel H. Thomas and Hood
Gilpin. All of these became prominent members of the Philadelphia bar.
Throughout his life he kept up his affiliation with his classmates and his alma
mater and was a regular attendant at the class reiinions.

On leaving college his fatlier took -hiflf^tS 'California, over the newly con-
structed Union Pacific Railroajd, to attend a convention of the American Medi-
cal Association. On his retutm he visited the \'alley Forge above referred to
and also an old forge on the'; Bra-txlywmc; ^vhich had been operated in early
times by his family. This put liihi in the notion of the career in which he was
afterward most successful. He entered an establishment known as the Dela-
ware Rolling Mills, located on the Delaware river in the district of Kensing-
ton, which had been started only the year previous. He gave to this industry
ability and enthusiasm rarely found in a boy just from college. He labored in-
telligently with method and with success. He adopted improvements in the
management of the office work and made himself master of the art of producing
the best grades of refined iron.

As a financier as well as a practical iron master, he gave to this his life
work, his entire time and attention. At times he volunteered to assume the
position of manager of the rolling mills. He had studied the practical elements
required for the production of high grades of metal such as for bolts and nuts
and the stay bolts of locomotives and so perfected the quality that the repu-
tation of the iron was unexcelled. He experimented and improved in the meth-
ods of manufacture, reducing the cost and improving the quality. It was in
the mill and among tlie high-class workmen that he showed to great advantage
the finer lines in his character. His tact, his kindness, his courtesy, made him
beloved from the head roller to the laborer. In times of labor troubles, he was
so popular with the workmen that there was never a strike among them from
the time that he became the head of the establishment. At all times he listened
to their committees and adjusted their demands with broad-handed justice and
liberality. When in the fulness of time he was called upon to assume the
responsibility as head of the establishment, which occurred during the panic of
1893, a time of severe business depression, he not only proved a bulwark against
failure but achieved such an unparalleled success in spite of untoward circum-
stances and conditions that he was recognized throughout the city of Philadel-
phia as one of the ablest and most highly respected iron masters in the country.
All this he accomplished in his early manhood and he lived to enjoy for the
rest of his life the pleasure of having realized his early ambition to be at the
head of a prosperous iron industry.

Throughout his life he was uniformly considerate of the feelings of others.
In his relations with his associates, whether business or social, he maintained



512 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

a dignity of bearing and kindness of heart which made him very attractive. He
was fond of travel and gratified this taste during his latter years by frequent
trips abroad. He was also an intelligent collector of works of art and brought
home curios and jewelry from Russia and some fine specimens of oriental art



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 50 of 62)