Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 54 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 54 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Physiologic Therapeutics. In the previous September he won a thousand dollar
prize on an essay on Preventive Medicine. In February, 1903, he was elected
professor of gynecology in Temple College and was appointed gynecologist to
the Samaritan Hospital, while in November following he was made surgeon in
chief to the Samaritan Hospital and professor of surgery and clinical surgery
in the medical department of Temple College. In June, 1904, the A. M. degree
was conferred upon him by the Pennsylvania State College. His hospital and
educational work have both been of an important nature. In 1907 he was
elected surgeon to the Garretson Hospital and in the same year was appointed
professor of oral surgery in Philadelphia Dental College. In original work he
invented forms of laboratory apparatus to be used in connection with pathology
and bacteriology ; devised a new operation for the restoration of the pelvic floor
and perineum; devised a new operation for the extirpation of varicose veins of
the leg with a new instrument; devised a new method of nerve transference;
devised a new operation for the relief of certain paralytic and painful affection
of nerves ; devised a method and apparatus for use in connection with extensive
operations upon the lung; demonstrated the advantage of certain conservative
methods in treating sarcoma; conducted researches in relation to the cerebro-
spinal fluid and has derived improved methods for the production of spinal and
narcotic anesthesia; originated operative methods useful in correcting deformi-
ties of the bones, especially of the jaws; developed a successful systematic
operation for the correction of spina bifida; devised a number of original op-
erations for the correction of deformities and mutilations; and devised an im-
proved operation for ruptured ectopic pregnancy. His publications include:
(i) An Outline of First and Second Year Pathology, private publication, Phil-
adelphia, 1898; (2) Introductory Chapter on Bacteriology in Shattock's Atlas
of Bacteria Pathogenic in Man, E. B. Treat & Company, New York, 1899; (3)
joint author, Cohen's System of Physiologic Therapeutics, Vol. V, Prophylaxis ;
(4) prize essay, The General Principles of Preventive Medicines, the Maltine
Contest, New York, 1902. His monographs, addresses and short articles in-
clude: (5) Spindle-Celled Sarcoma of the Ovary, Proceedings of the Path-
ological Society of Philadelphia, and Uterus Bicornis Unicollis, Volume XVIII,
No. 318; (6) The Co-existence of Fibromyoma and Carcinoma of the Uterus,
With a Report of Three Cases, American Gynecological and Obstetrical Jour-
nal, November, 1898; (7) joint paper with Dr. H. C. Masland— A Case of
Paget's Disease of the Breast of Thirteen Years' Duration, Not Showing Car-
cinomatous Involvement of the Mammary Gland, International Medical Maga-
zine, February, 1899; (8) High Amputation of the Cervix and Vaginal Suture
as a Preliminary to Abdominal Hysterectomy, International Medical Magazine,
October, 1899; (9) Laboratory Methods of Diagnostic Tuberculosis and The
Staining of Sputum, International Medical Magazine, December, 1899; (10)
joint paper with Dr. Charles P. Noble on A New Method of Diagnosis for
Tuberculosis of the Kidney, American Gynecological and Obstetrical Journal,



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 546

December, 1899; (11) The Century of Surgery, International Medical Maga-
zine, January, 1900; (12) The Laboratory Diagnosis of Tuberculosis of the
Urinary System, International Medical Magazine, March, 1900; (13) A Con-
sideration of Certain Bacteriologic Features of Gastrointestinal Infection of
Infants, International Medical Magazine, July, 1900; (14) The Best Material
for Blocks upon Which to Mount Tissues Embedded in Cellodin, Journal of
Applied Microscopy, Volume in. No. 12; (15) Method of Removing and Pre-
paring Portions of Tissue from the Uterus for Diagnostic Purposes, Interna-
tional Medical Magazine, April, 1901 ; (16) Nephrotomy for the Removal of
Calculus of the Ureter, International Medical Magazine, September, 1901 ; (17)
A Simple and Effective Apparatus for the Treatment of Fractures of the Shaft
of the Femur, International Medical Magazine, January, 1902; (18) Common
Anomalies of the Colon, International Medical Magazine, March, 1902 ; ( 19)
joint paper with Dr. Charles P. Noble on Report of Three Rare Operations
upon the Urinary Organs: ist, Hypernephroma of the Kidney — Nephrectomy;
2d, Papillary Carcinoma of the Pelvis of the Kidney — Nephrectomy ; 3d. Stone
in the Left L-reter, Extraperitoneal Operation, Removal of the Stone, American
Gynecology, July, 1902; (20) The Treatment of Extra-Uterine Pregnancy, In-
ternational Medical Magazine, August, 1902; (21) Tuberculosis of the Gen-
erative Organs, in collaboration with Dr. Charles P. Noble, Encyclopedia of
Medicine and Surgery; (22) Cervical Rib with Resulting Gangrene of the
Fingers. American Medicine. Volume X, No. 15, October, 1905; (23) A New
Method of Obtaining Rectangular Flaps for Transference with a Pedicle, Medi-
cine, June, 1905; (24) The Osmic Acid Treatment of Tic-douloureaux, Thera-
peutic Gazette, 1905; (25) A Routine Post-Operative Treatment in Cases of
Abdominal Section, Medico-Chirurgical Journal, February, 1904; (26) Surgi-
cal Anesthesia as Produced by Narcotic Alkaloids with Especial Reference to
the Antiquity of the Method, New York Medical Journal, September 22, 1906;
(27) Spinal Anesthesia with Especial Reference to the Use of Stovaine, Thera-
peutic Gazette, April 15, 1906; (28) Transbrachial Anastomosis, and A New
Method of Surgical Treatment for Brachial Palsy, Journal of American Medi-
cal Association, May 25, 1907; (29) A New Operation for the Extirpation of
Varicose \'eins of the Leg, New York Medical Journal, July 27, 1907; (30)
A Summary of Certain Forms of Surgical Practice (from the Samaritan Hos-
pital service). Therapeutic Gazette, September 15, 1907; (31) Nerve Disasso-
ciation : A New Method for the Surgical Relief of Certain Painful or Paralytic
Affections of Nerve Trunks, Annals of Surgery, November, 1907; (32) A
Conservative Treatment of Sarcoma, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Feb-
ruary, 1908; (33) The Operative Treatment of Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Report
of an excision of over one-half of the right lung, The Journal of the American
Medical Association, April 18, 1908; (34) The Field of Osteoplastic Operations
for the Correction of Deformities of the Jaws, read before the American So-
ciety of Orthodontists at Cleveland, 1909; (35) Submucous Perineorrhaphy,
the Journal of the American Medical Association, May 15, 1909; (36) Spinal
Anesthesia. A Clinical Study of Six Hundred and Fifty-eight Administrations,
Pennsylvania Medical Journal, August, 1909; (37) The Surgical Treatment of
Certain Deformities of the Jaw Associated with Malocclusion of the Teeth,



546 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

The Journal of the American Medical Association, September ii, 1909; (38)
Anesthesia and Anesthetics with Especial Reference to Spinal Anesthesia, read
before the Philadelphia County Medical Society, April 19, 1910; (39) Spinal
Anesthesia, a new method of producing high and general analgesia, with a ref-
erence to the untoward effect noted from over two thousand injections, read
before the Philadelphia County Medical Society, May 11, 1910; (40) A Pneu-
matic Shield for Operations on the Lung, the Journal of the American Medical
Association, July 2, 1910; (41) A Modified Extractor for the Removal of Vari-
cose Veins of the Leg, the Journal of the American Medical Association, July
16, 1910; (42) The Range of Activity and the Untoward Effects of Certain
Spinal Analgesia, Based on Two Thousand Administrations, Monthly Cyclo-
pedia and Medical Bulletin, September, 1910; (43) Spina Bifida and its Sur-
gical Treatment with a Description of an Efficient Osteoplastic Operation, read
before the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, October 4, 1910; (44) A Costal
Periosteotome, New York Medical Journal, October 15, 1910.



WILLIAM WILLIAMS KEEN, M. D, LL. D.

Hon. F. R. C. S. (Eng. and Edin.)

Dr. Keen, practitioner, educator and author, to whom has come distinguished
professional honors and international as well as national recognition of his ability,
was born in Philadelphia, January 19, 1837, a son of William Williams and
Susan (Budd) Keen. His American ancestry dates back to 1642, when Joran
Kyn came over from Sweden with Governor Printz. He was the founder of
the town of Chester, Pennsylvania, then called Upland. The name Kyn was
first "Dutched" into Kien, and later "EngHshed" into Keen. Many landmarks
still survive as monuments to the memory of the early American Keens. Dr.
Keen's father was born near Tacony, opposite Keen's Lane, in an old stone
house which was built by his grandfather about the middle of the eighteenth
century, and which is still standing. Dr. Keen was educated in the Newton Gram-
mar School, Thirty-sixth and Chestnut streets, and in the Central High School
from 1849 to 1853, after which he entered Brown University, in Providence,
Rhode Island, graduating in 1859. After remaining a year as a resident graduate,
he entered the Jefferson Medical College, in i860, and graduated as M. D. in
1862. The Civil war was then in progress and before he had received his medi-
cal degree he served as assistant surgeon of the Fifth Regiment Massachusetts
Volunteers July 1-31, 1861. Immediately after his graduation in March, 1862, he
was commissioned as acting assistant surgeon of the United States army and as-
signed to duty in Washington. Later he was engaged in temporary field duty
and afterward sent to the Satterlee Hospital in Philadelphia. In these con-
nections he displayed superior ability that indicated his natural fitness for his
chosen life work and the thorough preparatory training which he had received.
Broadening experience also promoted his skill and he did work that drew wide
attention in the United States Military Hospital for injuries and diseases of



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 547

the nervous system at Christian street and later at Turner's Lane Hospital in
Philadelphia in conjunction with Drs. S. Weir Mitchell and George R. More-
house. His associates stimulated in him an interest in scientific research, for
which ample opportunity was afforded in these newly organized hospitals. They
gave to these diseases and injuries the most careful study and original investi-
gation and the opinions formed therefrom constituted the basis of the publica-
tions of "Mitchell, Morehouse and Keen" on "Gunshot Wounds and Other In-
juries of Nerves," which is the starting point for our modern knowledge of
such injuries and their treatment. The three men also conjointly published
other monographs of widespread interest to the profession.

When the war was over Dr. Keen went abroad for two years' study and
research in the medical centers of Europe and then returned to Philadelphia,
where he at once took rank among the distinguished American educators in
the field of anatomy and operative surgery. For ten years he did dissecting
work and lectured in the Philadelphia School of Anatomy as the successor of
D. Hayes Agnew, instituting the most practical and helpful courses of study,
his lectures being supplemented by the work done in the dissecting room. At
the same time Dr. Keen lectured in the Jefferson Medical College on pathologi-
cal anatomy. He was chosen to the professorship of the principles and practice
of surgery in the Woman's Medical College in 1884. Since 1889 he has been
professor of surgery in the Jefferson Medical College as the successor of Dr.
Samuel W. Gross and in this position stands as one of the foremost American
educators in the field of medical and surgical science. Original research and
investigation have combined with the knowledge gleaned from the works and
writings of others to render Dr. Keen an authority in his especial field.

He is by no means, however, a one-idea man. The broad field of general
science is one of deep interest to him and he has been active in other educational
institutions. In 1867 he became a member of the Academy of Natural Sciences
of Philadelphia. At the request of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine
Arts he joined its faculty and from 1876 until 1889 was its professor of artistic
anatomy. He instituted an entirely new system of teaching that branch, thereby
rendering an important sei-vice to a group of artists whose fundamental knowl-
edge of anatomy insured them success and in many cases brought them wide
distinction. From 1907 he has been president of the American Philosophical
Society, the oldest scientific society in America. His scholarship, his actual
work in the field of science and his helpful efforts in behalf of Brown Uni-
versity led that institution to confer upon him the degree of Doctor of Laws
in 1891. In 1873 he became one of its trustees and later a fellow of the univer-
sity. To the field of surgical literature he has made liberal contribution. He
edited and greatly improved Gray's Anatomy and published the American Text-
book of Surgery in collaboration with Professor J. William White and others.
"Keen's Surgery," of which he is the editor, is an encyclopedic system of sur-
gery in five large volumes. In addition to these works, he has written over
three hundred treatises and journal articles on surgery, including the Surgical
Complications and Sequels of Typhoid Fever, which attracted world-wide at-
tention among the profession. That his labors have touched the moral interests
of the community is indicated in the fact that he is the author of The History



548 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

of the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia, which was published in 1898 when
it celebrated its bi-centenary.

In 1900 Dr. Keen was chosen president of the College of Physicians of
Philadelphia and his labors have been of incalculable benefit to the society,
especially in the development of its library. To this he gave an endowment
fund of five thousand dollars and raised sixty thousand dollars more for that
purpose, soliciting the cooperation of public-spirited men and women, who re-
sponded liberally to his call. Dr. Keen has received recognition abroad, being
a corresponding member of the Societe de Chirurgie de Paris and to honorary
membership in the Societe Beige de Chirurgie and the Clinical Society of Lon-
don. He has the distinction of being one of the eight living honorary members
of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fiir Chirurgie. On many instances he has been
honored with election to positions of distinction by the profession. In 1898
he was president of the American Surgical Association and the following year
was chosen president of the American Medical Association, the most important
and comprehensive of all the medical societies of America. In May, 1903, he
was elected to the presidency of the sixth triennial congress of American physi-
cians and surgeons, which convened in Washington and was also chosen hon-
orary president of the first Egyptian medical congress. At the close of the
Spanish-American war President McKinley appointed him the medical member
of the commission to investigate the conduct of the war, but he was obliged to
decline the honor on account of the pressure of other duties. In 1900 he was
one of the four American surgeons elected honorary fellows of the Royal Col-
lege of Surgeons of England, and in 1905 at the four hundredth anniversary of
the founding of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh a similar honor
was conferred upon him. He has received the degree of LL. D. not only from
Brown but from Northwestern, Toronto, Edinburgh and Yale universities, the
honorary Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Greifswald, and the
Doctorate of Philosophy from the University of Upsala, Sweden.

Enrolled with those to whom fame has accorded preeminence, he yet feels
that the profession has scarcely advanced beyond the pioneer stages in scientific
investigation in the realms of medicine and surgery, and with unabating in-
terest is carrying forward his investigations and seeking for the knowledge of
the truths and the principles which constitute the great and complex mystery
which we call life.



BYRON P. MOULTON.

At times active in the business circles of Chicago, again the promoter and
manager of home interests in Philadelphia, Byron P. Moulton possessed those
qualities which made him a successful competitor of the enterprise and aggres-
siveness of the west and an able exponent of the conservatism and substantial
methods of the east. His adaptability as well as his keen insight and ready
recognition of the opportunities of large cities was one of the strong elements in
his progress and prosperity.




BYROX I'. .MorLTON



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 661

He was born in Greensboro, Vermont, on the 5th of May, 1836, and when
death called him had passed the seventy-third milestone on life's journey. His
parents, Noah and Ruth Moulton, were also natives of the Green Mountain state.
His early education was acquired in the neighborhood of his father's home. For
a time he was associated with the firm of Reyburn, Hunter tS: Company, of
whom the senior partner was the father of the present mayor of Philadelphia.
After four months spent in this city Mr. Moulton removed to Chicago to be-
come manager of the western branch of the business and remained in the latter
city for sixteen years, engaged in the iron and banking business. In 1886, when
he returned to Philadelphia he retired from active business.

His splendid business ability enabled him to see and utilize advantages that
others passed heedlessly by. He seemed to know just how to coordinate forces
so as to produce the most harmonious results and his close study of trade con-
ditions enabled him to meet the demands of the moment and look beyond the
exigencies of the passing hour to the opportunities of the future. His splendid
business ability enabled him to accumulate a large fortune and while a resident
of Chicago he was not only resident partner of the firm of Reyburn, Hunter
& Company, but was also largely interested in a number of other business enter-
prises. He was prominent in the club life of the city and closely connected with
various public instituations there. He owned a magnificent home on the south
side that is now occupied by the daughter of George M. Pullman.

Mr. Moulton was united in marriage in 1868 to Miss Elizabeth R. Hunter, a
daughter of Edmund A. W. Hunter, a native of New York and at one time a
member of the firm of Reyburn, Hunter & Company. The consensus of public
opinion placed Mr. Hunter with the prominent and representative business men
of Philadelphia, where in his later years he was identified with the commission
business of Hunter & Drennen, No. IJ South Water street. He was a member
of the Unitarian church and passed away in that faith in 1895 at the age of
seventy-nine years.

Mr. Moulton spent his last days at his beautiful home at Ardmore, where
he passed away in 1909. He belonged to the Union League of Philadelphia and
was one of the proprietary members of the Merion Cricket Club. His political
views accorded with the principles of the republican party and charity and
benevolence figured strongly in his life. Few men have realized more fully the
obligations and responsibilities of wealth nor with more liberal spirit have ex-
tended a helping hand. In his later years when the cares of business had been
laid aside he found time and opportunity to reach out into the broader realms
of literature and art and of liberal culture, and he found his associates among
men in whose lives the intellectual forces are potent. He was one of the found-
ers of the Fourth Unitarian church of Chicago, president of the Western Uni-
tarian Conference and active trustee of the Chicago Athenaeum and treasurer of
the Old Peoples Home of that city. It was under his encouragement, direction
and generous support that the "Channing Club Rooms" were opened, which be-
came the first permanent headquarters of Unitarianism in Chicago. He gave
his means without advertisement and without thought of return, so that it is

Vol. IV— 2



552 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

almost impossible to form an estimate of the amount of good that he did. There
are many persons who are happier and who will always remember the name of
their benefactor, who gave quietly and without ostentation his aid to those whom
he felt were needy. The memory of his private character will live in the hearts
of many, who will remember him long after the work which he has accomplished
in the world of industry has been forgotten in the world of circumstance. In
business life he was a man of ability and energy, firm in all his dealings with his
fellowmen and a devoted friend who will be missed by all with whom he came in
contact.



CHARLES T. HUNTER, M. D.

The success and enviable position which come as the logical result of earnest
and intelligent efifortin a chosen field of labor were accorded to Dr. Charles T.
Hunter, who from 1868 up to the time of his death was active in the practice
of medicine in Philadelphia. He was born in North Bloomfield, Trumbull
county, Ohio, January 13, 1843, and acquired his early education in the schools
of New England.

His choice of a profession fell upon the practice of medicine and in prep-
aration for that work he enrolled as a student in the medical department of the
University of Pennsylvania, where he completed the regular course and was
graduated in 1868. Upon obtaining his M. D. degree he established himself in
general practice in Philadelphia and over that broad field continued his labors
until called to his final rest. He never sought to specialize particularly but kept
in touch with the onward march of the profession in every line and gained
broad knowledge through the discussion of important questions among the mem-
bership of the College of Physicians and the Pathological Society, to both of
which he belonged. He filled the position of demonstrator of surgery in the
University of Pennsylvania and was chief of the surgical clinic in University
Hospital. He was likewise a surgeon to the out-patient department of the Penn-
sylvania Hospital and was associated for a number of years with the eminent
Dr. Hayes Agnew, who loved him as a son and looked upon him as his succes-
sor. Association with that distinguished member of the profession gave Dr.
Hunter almost unequalled opportunities for advancement according to the most
modern and scientific methods of successful practice in medicine and surgery.
His death was a great blow to Dr. Agnew, who wished in time to turn over
his extensive practice to Dr. Hunter.

In the broad realm of thought Dr. Hunter ever found his interests and the
Academy of Natural Sciences numbered him among its devoted members. He
was a man of many brilliant attainments, eminently fitted for the high posi-
tion which he enjoyed in the medical fraternity. It has been said that death
loves a shining mark, and not only the medical profession but the city at large
felt called upon at his demise to mourn the passing of one whom it could ill
afford to lose.



.iT-S*. ■.•••OX •'*'•





DE. CHARLES T. HUNTER




EDWIN HUNTER



"\^ 7^1? Tf



I TIUEki'H P&0«<DATION3.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 557

THE SUTCLIFFE FAMILY.



English Colonial and West of

"suTCLiFFE." New England States New England States

"SUTLIFFE." "SUTLIFF."

Dr. Mathew Sutcliffe, second son of John Sutcliffe, of Mairoyd, was a native
of Yorkshire and was born presumably soon after 1550. But little can be learned
of his early life, the first recorded date discovered being that of his admission
as a scholar at Trinity College, Cambridge, April 30, 1568. He took the degree
of B. A. in 1570-71. was a minor fellow September 27, 1572, M. A. in 1574,
and major fellow April 30, 1574. In 1579 he was appointed lector mathematicus
and he received the degree of LL. D. in 1581.

On May i, 1582, he was admitted a civilian, becoming one of the members
of that famous association that long occupied "Doctors' Commons." It is un-
certain as to what date or from what university he received the degree of D. D.,
but as it was necessary that the provost of Chelsea College should be a professor
of sacred theology, and as Sutcliffe held that position in 1610 it is possible that
he had already received that title.

On January 30, 1586-7, he was instituted to the archdeaconry of Taunton
and Milverton II, prebend, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. It is uncertain
how long he held this office, but his successor was in ofhce in 1604. His pro-



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 54 of 62)