Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 55 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


motion from the time he became archdeacon was very rapid, and on the 12th
of October, 1588, he was installed prebend in the Exeter Cathedral, being raised
on the 27th of the same month to the dignity of dean of Exeter, which position
he held for the unusually long period of forty years, no other dean being re-
corded as having retained that office for so long a time.

As he was also vicar of West Alvington in Devon, the Archbishop of Can-
terbury, on March 10, 1589, granted him letters of dispensation allowing him
to hold the vicarage, the deanery and prebend, together with another benefice,
with or without cure. Letters patent under the great seal of James I, dated No-
vember, 1605, relate that he received such a dispensation and refer to his having
become vicar of Harberton and Lezant. He was instituted to Harberton on
November 9, 1590, and to Lezant, April 6, 1594, as well as to Newton Ferrers,
December 27, 1591. He was also made prebend of Buckland Dynham, in the
diocese of Bath and Wells, in 1592.

As early as 1590 a book appeared from under his pen entitled, "A Treatise
of Ecclesiastical Discipline, wherein that Confused Forme of Government, which
certaine, under false pretense and title of Reformation and True Discipline,
do strive to bring into the Church of England, is examined and confuted." This
title is much more condensed than those of other volumes by him ; a descriptive
title-page of about one hundred words, exclusive of Bible texts and publisher's
name and address, was by no means unusual. He was the author of a large
number of works, which are with one exception, all of a disputatious nature,
chiefly attacks upon, and replies to attacks of, such "popish propagandists" as
Bellarmin and Parsons.



558 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Dean Sutcliffe was for a long time in high favor in court; he had been ap-
pointed one of the royal chaplains during the reign of Queen Elizabeth and is
stated to have retained the office under her successor, King James.

He was early interested in the settlement of New England; his shrewd busi-
ness talent perhaps enabled him to foresee dimly the future prosperity of the
country. Captain John Smith mentions that the Dean assisted and encouraged
him in his schemes. After describing his successful voyage and giving an en-
thusiastic account of the new world, he adds : "It pleased Sir Ferdinando Gorges
and Master Doctor Sutcliffe, Dean of Exeter, to conceive so well of these projects
and my former employments there, to make a new adventure with me in these
parts, whither they have so often sent their continual losse." This must have
been about 1616, and it is thought that he was interested in that country at an
earlier date.

It can be readily imagined that the Dean was a friend of the immortal Sir
Walter Raleigh, perchance also of Sir Francis Drake, for the defeat of the
Armada took place the very year that Dr. Sutcliffe was installed dean. He may
have heard direct from them of their glorious adventures and marvelous tales
of the new world. Nor is it unreasonable to imagine this, for we know he was
friendly with Sir Ferdinando Gorges and intimate with Sir Lewis Stukeley; he
probably heard from Captain John Smith of his wonderful escape from the club
of Powhatan, and he may have seen, too, that famous Indian beauty, the rescuer,
Pocahontas. It may certainly be believed that he knew her son, Thomas Rolfe,
who lived at Farringdon with his guardian, this same Sir Lewis Stukeley. He
appears to have been one of that circle of western adventurers who paved the
way for the successful settlement of the Puritan colony and the prosperity of
their descendants. J. Wingate Thornton, in his "Landing at Cape Anne," men-
tions the Dean's interest in the early undertakings of the Plymouth Company.
He stated that Captain John Smith, in his "Generall Historic," published in
1624, referring to the proposed scheme of distributing to each member of the
company a grant of land, writes that it was "at last engrossed by twenty pat-
entees that divided my map into twenty parts and cast lots for their shares."
Mr. Thornton reproduces this map, which was published afterward in Purchas's
"Pilgrims," whereon are given the names of these patentees, with their respective
allotments, beginning with the Earl of Arundel and Sir Ferdinando Gorges, in-
cluding Dr. Sutcliffe and ending with Dr. Bar. Gooch. The portion assigned to
the Dean appears, as nearly as can be judged from the inaccurate topography,
to lie in Massachusetts, not far distant from, if it does not actually include,
Boston.

Dean Sutcliffe's will includes a reference to a share in the "Great Neptune"
which he had of Dr. Barnaby Gooch, his co-adventurer in this early patent, and
he states that the papers concerning that ship were to be found in "one of the
boxes in the great deske in my Studdie at Exeter." No doubt that box contamed
other documents which would reveal the Dean's exact connection with, and his
interest in, this early partition of New England.

He built and endowed the "College of Controversy" at Chelsea, the charter
of incorporation of which was issued May 8, 1610. It was to consist of a
provost and twenty fellows, eighteen to be in holy orders and the other two



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 559

either laymen or divines. They were granted a common seal, various privileges
anil immunities and license to possess lands in mortmain to the value of £3,000
per annum. The scheme was received with so much favor by his majesty that
lie allowed it to be called "King James, his college in Chelsea."

Dr. SutclilTe writes in his will that it was founded "principaJlie for the main-
tainance of the Catholike Apostolike and Christian Faith, and next for the prac-
tice of setting foorth and encrease of true and sound learning against the ped-
antry, Sophistrie, and Novelties of the Jesuitts and the popes factors and fol-
lowers, and thirdly against the treachery of Pelagianizinge Arminians and others
that draw towards Popery and babilonian slavery endeavoringe to make a rent
in Gods church, and a peace between hearsie and Gods true faith betweene
Christ and Anti-christ." ]>ut the college soon encountered difficulties which
finally engulphed it, and after the death of its mainstay. Dean Sutcliffe, it speed-
ily sunk into semi-oblivion. In the troublous times before the Restoration, the
college fared badly, and the property after passing from one person to another,
was purchased at last by King Charles II. in 1682, and he established there the
now famous Chelsea Hospital.

Dean Sutcliffe married Anne, daughter of John Bradley of Lowth, and
Frances his wife, daughter of John Fairfax of Swarby. They had one child
only, a daughter and heiress named Anne, who married Richard Hals, of Kene-
don, probably soon after the year 1600. Dean Sutcliffe died in 1628-9.

From the fact that the Dean was so intensely interested in the settlement of
New England and aitled so generously those who adventured there, it is very
probable that the Nathaniel Sutcliffe whom we find in Massachusetts in 1661
was the descendant of one of the Dean's brothers, presumably John, who was
groom of the bed chamber to Charles I.



DR. VAN DUYNE A. SUTLIFF.

Dr. Van Duyne A. Sutliff, physician, was born on the old Sutliff homestead
near Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, February 6, 1872. The first ancestor of which
we have record was Nathaniel Sutcliffe, of Medfield and Deerfield, Massachu-
setts, his home at Medfield being about one hundred rods west of the Plympton
homestead. Upon their removal to Deerfield with the Plymptons in 1673, the
place was sold. At the "Burning of Medfield" the house was burned by the
Indians and never rebuilt.

Sergeant John Plympton was born in Cambridge, England, in 1620, and
came over in 1640 with a party headed by John Winthrop, a prominent factor
in early American history. In 1642 he joined the Ancient and Honorable Ar-
tillery Company of Boston. In 1643 he was received into the church at Ded-
ham, Massachusetts, and was also made a freeman. In 1652 he was a resident
of Medfield, his house being located on Main street, where William Kingsbury
now lives. His valuation that year was £46, increased by 1669 to £238. While
in that town he held many public offices. In 1673 he emigrated to Deerfield,
and when King Phillip's war began he was chief military ofiicer there. In 1677



560 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

he, with Stockwell Dickinson, three women and fourteen children, was captured
and taken to Canada. Most of the party were afterward ransomed, but it is
beHeved that John Plympton was burned at the stake by the Indians, near
Shambly.

Nathaniel Sutcliffe married Hannah Plympton, oldest child of Sergeant
John Plympton, January 31, 1665. The history of Deerfield says that Nathaniel
Sutliffe (C omitted) was a resident there in 1673 on the Colonel Asa Stebbins
lot, and that he was killed in the falls fight (Pesheomsaket) May 19, 1676. Dur-
ing the observance of Old Home Week at Deerfield, Massachusetts, the last
week of July, 1903, the two hundredth anniversary of the burning of the town
was celebrated with appropriate ceremonies, and four tablets placed in
the Memorial Hall to the memory of the pioneers of Deerfield were dedicated:
among them one to Nathaniel Sutliffe, bearing the following inscription:
In Honor of Nathaniel Sutliflfe,
Of Dedham before 1661,
Medfield in 1663.
A settler at Pocumtuck in 1673,
with his wife, Hannah Plympton.
A Soldier in Phillip's War.
Killed with Capt. Turner, May 19, 1676.
Erected by B. H. Sutlift'e, of Plymouth, Conn.

To Nathaniel and Hannah (Plympton) Sutclifife four children were born,
namely: Hannah, 1665; Judith, 1669; Nathaniel, 1672; and John, 1674.

John, born in 1674, married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Wheadon, of
Branford, Connecticut. To them were born ten children, namely : Hannah, born
in 1699: Mary, 1701 ; Lydia, 1704; Abigail, 1706; Elizabeth, 1708; Deborah,
1710; Martha, 1712; John, 1713; Dianah, 1716, who married Lieutenant Joseph
Bronson; and Abel, 1720.

Abel married Sarah, daughter of Barnabus Ford, at Waterbury, Connecticut,
October 22, 1745. She died September 14, 1777. Their children were: Dianah,
born in 1746; Abel, 1751 ; Damaris, 1756, died 1776; Lucas, 1768.

Abel, born 1751, son of Abel and Sarah (Ford) Sutliffe, married Charity
Barber, November 15, 1770. Abel (born 1720), with his brother John and son
Abel served in the Revolutionary war from Plymouth, Connecticut, their home
town. After having served in the war, Abel Sutliffe (born 1751) left Plymouth,
Connecticut, and migrated to the Huntington valley, Luzerne county, Pennsyl-
vania. It was at this time that Abel, the first member of the family to move
westward, dropped the final "e," thus spelling the name "Sutliff," which is the
form since used by all descendants in and west of Pennsylvania. They spent
the remainder of their lives there where he died in 1799. He is buried in Scott's
cemetery, a burial spot five miles from the town of Shickshinny, Luzerne county,
Pennsylvania, which was given by a member of the Sutliff family and named in
memory of his wife whose maiden name was Scott. The grave of Abel Sutliflf
bears a Revolutionary marker, which, sent from Plymouth, Connecticut, by the
Sons of the American Revolution, was placed upon his grave by his grandson,
John W., and great-grandson. Dr. Van Duyne A. SutlifF, July 4, 1901, with
appropriate ceremonies.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 561

The children of Abel and Charity Barber SutlifF were: Rarna, born in 1772;
Miles, 1773; Sarah, 1776-1777; Sarah, 1778; Darius, 1784.

Miles, born in 1773, married Phoebe Culver. Their children were: Barna;
Wells, who married Abia Harrison; Abel, born in 1807, who married Lydia
Brader; Washington, who married Polly Rue; D. Styles, who married Lydia
Dodson ; Major, who married Dorcus Bronson ; Daniel, who married Claricy
Harrison; Wesley, who married Susana Dodson; Milly, who married a Mr.
Moss; Roxana, who married a Mr. Lukens; and Hannah, who married George
Souder.

Abel, born in 1807, married Lydia Brader. January 2, 1831. He died June
28, 1867. She died March 12, 1887. Their children were: Miles M., born in
1832, married Miss Arminda White and died January 10, 1908; Samuel, born
in 1833. married Anna Chapin ; Rose was born in 1835; Roxcina, born in 1836,
married Andros Zimmerman; John W., born March 12, 1837, married Elizabeth
Zimmerman; Wesley W., born in 1838, married Kate Eveland and died July 25,
1889; Millie M., born in 1840, is the widow of John Kingsbury; Sterling, born
in 1842, now deceased, married Mary Killeen ; James M., born in 1844, married
Martha Moore, and died July, 1889, she September, 1878; Barna was born in
1846; Cornelia, born in 1849, married John Fulkerson ; Emma T., born in 1853,
married Benly Franklin.

John W., son of Abel and Lydia (Brader) Sutliff, married Elizabeth Zim-
merman, June 25, 1859. He was born on the old Sutliff homestead near Shick-
shinny, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he still lives. He is a farmer by
occupation and was the first man back of the mountains to adopt and introduce
scientific fanning. He is now in his seventy-fifth year and enjoys excellent
health. He is stanch in his belief in the republican party and is conspicuous in
his community as a supporter and promoter of any public work that is for the
betterment and upbuilding of the locality. He is a member of the Baptist
church.

To this union six children have been born: Alden M., born August 25, i860,
married Delia Wolfe. They reside in Lehman, Pennsylvania. Abia C, bom
April 29, 1862, married James M. Kline (deceased) of Bloomsburg, Pennsyl-
vania. Geraldine E., bom July 18, 1864. married Elliot Williams, of Kingston,
Pennsylvania. Elsie M., bom June 2, 1869, married Martin Harrison, of Hunt-
ington Mills, Pennsylvania. Dr. Van Duyne A., bom February 6, 1872, married
Emma White. Mira A., born November 7, 1873, married Charles Zimmerman.

Dr. Sutliff began his education in the public schools of Huntington township,
Luzeme county, Pennsylvania, where he also attended the high school. His
desire for a broader education drew him to Wilkes-Barre, where for several
months he attended business college, graduating in 1893. Being determined to
continue his education but desiring to do so on his own resources he found it
necessary to tum the knowledge he had gained to a lucrative use and with that
purpose in mind he decided to teach school for a time. This he did for four
years, one year in the public school at Wentz, two years at Nuremburg, and the
fourth year the high school of Black Creek township, Luzerne county.

He then resumed his studies at the East Stroudsburg State Normal School,
from which he graduated in 1898. In October of the same year he entered the



562 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia, graduating from there May 20,
1902, with degree of M. D. He immediately engaged in general practice, his
first location being at 759 East Allegheny avenue, where he remained for about
two and one-half years. He then, in May, 1905, removed to 103 North Fifty-
second street, where he now resides.

In the fall of 1902 Dr. Sutliff was elected assistant demonstrator of anatomy
to the Medico-Chirurgical College, and after serving in this capacity for a
period of two years he was made chief demonstrator, which ofhce he still oc-
cupies. For some time he has given much of his time to the practice of gyne-
cology, nose and throat diseases and surgery. He has for several years been
the ordinary medical examiner for the Reading Mutual Life Insurance Company.

His memberships are many in number, but all of a professional nature, in-
cluding the American Medical Association, Pennsylvania State Medical Society,
Philadelphia County Medical Society, Medical Club of Philadelphia, West Phila-
delphia Medical Association, and the Society for Prevention of Social Diseases ;
also a member of the Medico-Chirurgical College Club, Medico-Chirurgical
Social Club, College Alumni Association, Philadelphia Chapter of the Ptolemy
Society, Washington Lodge of Masonry No. 59, University Chapter No. 256,
R. A. M., and has recently been appointed to the Corinthian (Hasseur) Com-
mandery of the Knights Templar. Fraternally he is a member of the Upsilon
Chapter of the Omega Upsilon Phi. Dr. Sutliff is a republican with progressive
ideas and in local affairs non-partisan.

Both he and Mrs. Sutlifif are members of the Tennet Presbyterian church,
Fifty-second and Arch streets, Philadelphia. On September 19, 1900, he was
married to Miss Emma White, a daughter of John W. and Anna (McHenry)
White, of Meaford, province of Ontario, Canada. They have two children:
Anna Elizabeth Sutliff, born July 29, 1904, now attending the Dunlap school;
and John White Sutliff, born February 27, 1906, now in kindergarten.



LEVI GARNER FOUSE.

The specific and distinctive office of biography is not to give voice to a
man's modest estimation of himself and his accomplishments but rather to leave
a perpetual record, establishing his character by the consensus of public opinion
on the part of his fellowmen. Throughout Philadelphia Levi Garner Fouse is
spoken of in terms of admiration and respect. His life has been so varied in
its activity, so honorable in its purpose, so far-reaching and beneficial in its
effects, that it has become an integral part of the history of the city and has
also left its impress upon the annals of the state. In no sense a man in public
life, he has nevertheless exhibited an immeasurable influence on the city of his
residence; in business life as a financier and promoter of extensive enterprises;
in social circles by reason of a charming personality and unfeigned cordiality;
in politics by reason of his public-spirit and devotion to the general good as
well as by his comprehensive understanding of the questions affecting state and




].. G. FUUSE



TBI KEW !^






HISTORY OF PHlLADKLri-IIA 565

national welfare ; and in the field of moral progress by his efficient helpfulness
in cooperation with movements that are designed to uplift humanity.

Levi Garner Fouse was born in Clover Creek, Blair county, Pennsylvania,
October 21, 1850. His paternal grandfather, Nicholas Fouse, was born in
Sweibrucken, Rhenish Bavaria, Germany, in 1747, and emigrated to America
in the year 1784, settling in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, where he died
in August, 1823. His wife, Mrs. Margaret Fouse, who was the eldest daughter
of Jacob Brumbaugh, was born in 1766 and died August 8, 1829. Their son,
Adam Fouse, was born January 28, 1805, and made his start in life mostly by
constructing rafts which were loaded with consignments of flour and floated
from Williamsburg, Pennsylvania, down the Juniata river to the Susquehanna
and thence to Havre de Grace._ The raft was, then towed by a tug to Baltimore.
This being in the days of specie payment and before any systematized means
of transportation had been established, he was obliged to carry the proceeds of
his trip, in gold and silver, across two mountain ranges, returning home on foot,
a distance of over one hundred miles, which journey he accomplished in from
two and a half to three days. Notwithstanding these early difficulties, he ob-
tained a competency and reached the venerable age of eighty-two years. His
wife bore the maiden name of Susanna Garner.

Levi Garner Fouse, in the pursuit of an education, attended successively the
Juniata Collegiate Institute at Martinsburg, Pennsylvania ; Heidelberg College
at Tiffin, Ohio; and Mercersburg College at Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. His
education completed, he secured a clerkship with the American Iron Works at
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and after gaining several promotions, resigned to en-
gage in the life insurance business. When but twenty years of age he organized
a local fire insurance company in Blair county, Pennsylvania, and secured its
first two millions of risks. After completing the organization, however, he
resigned and for a brief period was engaged in manufacturing and commercial
lines. Again turning to insurance, he resolved to make it his life work and in
1878, at the age of twenty-eight years, organized The Fidelity Mutual Life
Insurance Company of Philadelphia, of which he is now and has continuously
been the president. In the early days of his life insurance career he served the
Army Officers Association of the United States government in the capacity of
consulting actuary and compiled tables of recognized value from the data of
the war department, kept from its inception up until the year 1896. These
tables clearly establish the war hazard and are recognized as authoritative. He
also did important work for the subsidiary high court for Canada of the Ancient
Order of Foresters, and for a number of other institutions, especially fraternal
orders, until his duties in connection with his own company became too exacting
and onerous to allow him to devote even his evenings to the work of consultant,
as he had been doing in the early days of his insurance work.

In the year 1880 Mr. Fouse took an active part in the organization of the
Alta Friendly Society of Philadelphia, of which until recently he was vice presi-
dent and a director. He has contributed largely to insurance literature. Articles
written by him may be found in the Yale Readings of Insurance, 1909; in Pres-
ent Business Conditions, 1909, published by the American Academy of Political
and Social Science, and in other publications. He lectured on life insurance be-



566 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

fore the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, of the University of Penn-
sylvania, during the year 1904-5, and his lectures were published in the Annals
of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. He is now and has
been from its inception a member of the executive committee of the Association
of Life Insurance Presidents, of which the late ex-President Grover Cleveland
was chairman, and at the third annual meeting of the association held in Wash-
ington, D. C, January 19, 1910, presented a paper on "The Problems Arising
from Conflicting State Laws, Etc., Relating to Life Insurance" which is pub-
lished in the proceedings of that organization. He has devoted himself almost
exclusively to life insurance and has taken little interest in financial matters not
germane to the business of life insurance. He has no speculative tendency and
gets real enjoyment out of promoting the business of life insurance in general
and that of the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company in particular. He is
a director of the Third National Bank, the Central Trust & Savings Company,
and the Peoples National Fire Insurance Company.

In January, 1870, in Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, Mr.
Fouse was married to Miss Mary Belle Hause, a daughter of Harmon and
Susan (Minnick) Hause. Mercersburg for a number of years was the seat of
learning for the Reformed church of the United States, of which both her
father and mother were members, and their home attracted many of the stu-
dents. One of her sisters was the wife of Rev. W. A. Haas, and one was the
wife of Rev. B. R. Carnahan. She had four sisters and one brother. Mr. and
Mrs. Fouse have one son, Harrie Hause, who was born May 12, 1874, and was
married April 10, 1900, to Mary E. Stees, of St. Paul, Minnesota.

While Mr. Fouse has rendered no active military service, he is an honorary
member of the Veteran Corps of the First Regiment Infantry of Philadelphia.
While a republican, he is yet independent in his political views. In Masonry he
has attained the degree of the commandery and of the Mystic Shrine. A m.ost
active and helpful member of the Northminster Presbyterian church, he is now
serving as elder and was superintendent of its Sabbath school for more than
twenty years. Under his direction the school was fully graded, all departments
being represented, and it has been designated by the Pennsylvania State Sab-
bath School Association as a "front line school." In the year 1903 he became
consulting actuary of the Ministerial Sustentation Fund, established under au-
thority of the general assembly of the Presbyterian church. The calculations
upon which the fund was based involved five thousand, eight hundred and sixty-
two lives, graduates of six seminaries, covering a period of over one hundred
years. These calculations formed the basis on which the law of disability, mor-
tality, etc., pertaining to clergymen, has been fully established, as well as the
basis of all other calculations entering into the construction and conduct of the



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 55 of 62)