Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 56 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


fund. He is a member of the Presbyterian Social Union, Presbyterian Sunday
School Superintendents Association, and various organizations for the promo-
tion and dissemination of scientific knowledge. His name is on the member-
ship roll of the Geographical Society, the Archaeological Society, the American
Statistical Association of Boston, the American Academy of Political and Social
Science, the Museum of Industrial Art. He is likewise a member of various



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 567

benevolent and philanthrojjic organizations and few men have realized as fully
the obligations and responsibilities of wealtli.

In addition to the prodigious amount of labor which Mr. Fouse performs
in connection with his business enterprise, his church and benevolent work, and
the scientific associations to which he belongs, he has not only instituted, estab-
lished and conducted extensive and important business enterprises but has also
been a cooperant factor in many lines of activity wherein the public has been
a direct beneficiary. No good work done in the name of charity or religion seeks
his aid in vain, and one who knows him well said of him that "His life has
been that of a high-souled. large-minded, noble-hearted Christian gentleman."



SPENCER KENNARD MULFORD.

S{)encer Kennard Mulford is the vice president of the corporation known
as England, Walton & Co., Inc., now the largest tanners and curriers of leather
in Philadelphia. He was born in this city on the 4th of July, 1854, being the
second son of John Brantley and Emma Matilda (Kennard) Mulford. The
family is of English Quaker origin. John B. Alulford was one of the three
sons of John and Maria Conover (Bertron) Mulford, his father being the
senior partner of the wholesale grocery firm of Mulford & Alter. From his
paternal grandfather our subject is descended through eight generations of
John Mulfords, the founders of the American branch, John and William Mul-
ford, having settled in Easthampton, Long Island, in 1645. The original grants
of land are still held by the family. Spencer Kennard Mulford holds his mem-
bership in the Sons of the Revolution through several distinguished ancestors,
among them being the following: Captain Thomas Reading, captain in the
Revolutionary army, justice of the peace and judge of the court of common
pleas, son of John Reading, governor of New Jersey by the king patent previous
to the Revolution; Hon. Joseph Hugg, delegate from New Jersey to the first
provincial congress; Jacob Coxe, of Colonel Somers' battalion; and Captain
Thomas Mulford, of the Essex troop. Rev. Joseph Hugg Kennard, the ma-
ternal grandfather of the gentleman whose name introduces this review and
one of Philadelphia's most eminent Baptist divines, was the founder and for
twenty-nine years pastor of the Tenth Baptist church, from which the Grace
church, best known as the "Temple," was an ofTshoot. Kennard Hall, the
theological seminary of Temple University, is so called in his memory. Dr.
Kennard was also one of the founders of the Baptist Publication Society. Rev.
J. Spencer Kennard and Rev. John B. Mulford, the former the uncle and the
latter the brother of our subject, were likewise prominent in the denomination.

After attending a private school for two years Spencer K. Mulford removed
to Albany, New York, in 1864. Returning to Philadelphia in 1868, he entered
the Hancock grammar school and in 1869 became a student in the Central
high school. In 1872 he entered business circles as an employe of the firm of
England & Bryan, curriers and jobbers of sole and harness leather. His ability
and fidelity won him steady promotion and in 1896 he was given an interest in



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

the concern. In 1904 the firm of England & Bryan was dissolved and a corpora-
tion was formed under the name of England, Walton & Company, Inc., of which
Mr. Mulford was chosen vice president. In this capacity he has contributed in
no small degree to the growth and success of the company, which is now the
largest concern of its kind in Philadelphia. In 1876 Mr. Mulford became a
member of Company C, First Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania, and
two years later became a non-commissioned officer, serving four years.

In 1880 Mr. Mulford was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Blanche Harley,
a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Makin) Harley. Their union has been
blessed with three sons, namely : William Harley, who in 1907 wedded Louise
Levick, a daughter of Howard R. Levick, of Ogontz, Pennsylvania; Spencer
Kennard, Jr.; and John Brantley. For a number of years Mr. Mulford has
resided at "Penrythe," his country place near Jenkintown in Montgomery county.

In the late '70s Mr. Mulford was a member of the Republican Invincibles
and took an active part in the campaign. He belongs to the Union League, the
Penn Club, the Harris Club (of which he has for many years been president),
the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the Sons of the Revolution, the Public
Education Association of Philadelphia and the Academy of Fine Arts. With
the Baptist church he has always been closely identified, his family having
taken an important part in the growth and history of that denomination in
Philadelphia. Mr. Mulford was for years a member and trustee of the Tenth
Baptist church but became affiliated with the Jenkintown Baptist church after
removing to Montgomery county in 1898. In manner he is entirely free from
ostentation or display, yet there is not about him the least shadow of mock
modesty. He readily recognizes his opportunities and his duties, utilizes the
fornier and fully meets the latter. He knows that man's best development
.comes not through the concentration of one's energies upon selfish ends, and a
deep and sincere interest in his fellowmen and their welfare has prompted his
active cooperation in various movements which have contributed to reform,
progress and improvement.



JOSEPH PRICE REMINGTON.

Joseph Price Remington, professor of theory and practice of pharmacy in
the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy since 1874, and one of the most dis-
tinguished representatives of the profession in America, his broad and compre-
hensive knowledge making him an authority upon intricate and involved ques-
tions connected therewith, is a native of the city in which he makes his home.
He was born March 26, 1847, his parents being Isaac and Lydia H. Remington,
the latter a daughter of John Hart and a descendant of Townsend Speakman,
one of the earliest Philadelphia apothecaries. For three generations the an-
cestors of Dr. Remington in both the paternal and maternal lines had been resi-
dents of Philadelphia and members of the Society of Friends. From both sides
of the family, too, he inherited a liking for science, particularly in the direction
of chemistry, and in a little laboratory which he equipped when a boy he made




JOSEPH r. REMINfiTON



[the MW YDRXl

'fUBLic library!



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 571

many experiments. Moreover, he displayed a marked mechanical ingenuity in
constructing much of his own apparatus.

After acquiring his preliminary education in private schools he largely di-
rected his studies along those lines which were of chief interest to him. After
attending the Central high school of Philadelphia he began the systematic prep-
aration for a professional career as a student in the Philadelphia College of
Pharmacy, from which he was graduated in 1866. His studies, however, were
not pursued without interruption. He was fifteen years of age when his father
died and his plans regarding an education were necessarily changed. Many of
his friends and relatives hoped that he would follow in his father's professional
footsteps and engage in the practice of medicine, hut he recognized the fact
that his talents as well as his tastes were in other lines, and, arguing that the
best way to become a good physician was first to become a good pharmacist, he
was allowed the opportunity of following out his natural tendencies.

On the 1st of January, 1863, he began his pharmaceutical life with Charles
Ellis, Son & Company, entering that establishment through the influence of his
brother-in-law, Henry M. Troth, whose warm friendship with Charles Ellis led
the latter to take more than an ordinary interest in the young man who entered
his services. In those days the wholesale drug business meant the real manual
labor of preparing the crude drugs and many chemical and pharmaceutical prep-
arations that in these days are produced by large chemical and pharmaceutical
manufactories.

While serving his employers in the store, which brought to him broad, prac-
tical experience, Mr. Remington also attended lectures at the Philadelphia Col-
lege of Pharmacy and, as previously stated, won his first professional degree
in 1866. His advancement in the field of science is indicated by the fact that
the degree of Master of Pharmacy was conferred upon him in 1888 and Doctor
of Pharmacy in 1899, while in 1886 he received the title of F. C. S., in 1887 of
F. R. M. S. and in the same year that of F. L. S.

Only a few months after his graduation — on the ist of January, 1867 — Mr.
Remington entered the service of Dr. E. R. Squibb, who was probably the most
painstaking and conscientious member of the pharmaceutical profession in this
country. He made his home in the Doctor's family for nearly three years,
during which time he acquired a practical knowledge of analytical and manufac-
turing work which was rendered doubly valuable by the daily discussions with
his preceptor and the interest Dr. Squibb took in his pupil. He gained broad
practical experience, his duties including drug milling, the manufacture of
chemical salts, spirit of nitrous ether, oil of wine, purification of chloroform and
the manufacture of ether for anesthesia.

When Mr. Remington returned to Philadelphia following the death of his
mother, he entered the employ of Powers & Weightman, with whom he con-
tinued until 1872, when he established business on his own account, opening a
pharmacy at Thirteenth and Walnut streets. He remained there for thirteen
years, during which period he showed himself to be equipped with practical busi-
ness qualities seldom seen in combination with the high degree of professional
knowledge of which he was possessed. He has been connected with the edu-
cative work of the profession since 1871, when he became assistant to Professor



572 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Edward Parrish, who then occupied the chair of pharmacy in the College of
Pharmacy. He was retained as assistant by William Procter, who succeeded to
the chair on the death of Professor Parrish in 1872, and when Professor Proc-
ter passed away in 1874 Professor Remington was elected to the chair of phar-
macy in April of that year. His progressive spirit and his sincere love for his
Alma Mater have led him to constantly exert his efforts for increasing the
equipment and raising the standard of education in the institution with which
he has ever since been associated. It was largely through his instrumentality
that the method of practical instruction in pharmacy was inaugurated and
brought to its present high degree of efficiency. In 1877 he was chosen a direc-
tor of the pharmaceutical laboratory and in 1893 was elected dean of the college.

Since becoming a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association in
1868 Professor Remington's services in that organization have been varied, con-
tinuous and valuable. He served as chairman of numerous important commit-
tees, including the committee on the Centennial Exhibition in 1876, at which
time he was recognized as a central figure in local pharmaceutical affairs, owing
to his high professional standing both as a teacher and as a practical pharmacist.
In 1892 the profession honored him with election to the presidency of the Ameri-
can Pharmaceutical Association and at Chicago in 1893 he presided over one of
the most important meetings in the history of the association, during which time
there was also held the International Pharmaceutical congress, of which he was
likewise the presiding officer. During his many years of membership in the
National Association his numerous contributions of papers to the annual meet-
ings have been valuable and interesting. In 1878 he became one of the organiz-
ers of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association and seldom has he missed
one of its annual meetings, while his interest in all subjects pertaining to the
advancement of pharmacy has been continuous and effective. In 1896 the Penn-
sylvania association elected him to the presidency and it was largely through
his activity that the society in 1903 added five hundred new members, through
the organized effort of the auxiliary committee on membership of which he was
the chairman. His diplomatic skill has frequently led to his appointment as a
delegate to the various medical associations and it is largely due to his instru-
mentality that the most cordial relations exist between the organizations of these
two great professions.

In connection with his professional work in a contemporary publication ap-
peared the following: "Professor Remington's contributions to the literature
of pharmacy have not been confined to the writing of papers, but he is the
author of the best known text-book on pharmacy in the world, the Practice of
Pharmacy, first issued in 1885, and used at present in every college of phar-
macy in America, besides being widely and favorably known abroad, and the
fourth edition of which has been published. He has also been an associate edi-
tor of the United States Dispensatory since 1879. During the period of his con-
nection with that important work of reference, four editions have been issued,
each of which has been successful in the highest degree. In 1897 he became the
pharmaceutical editor of Lippincott's Medical Dictionary, a standard work of
reference. From his prominence in association matters Professor Remington
has naturally been looked to for assistance in all matters pertaining to pharma-



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 573

ceutical legislation. That he has hecn a willing and able worker in this direc-
tion is attested by the fact that he was a prime mover in the efforts to have the
college diplomas recognized by the various state authorities, and when the time
became ripe for prerequisite legislation he was one of the hardest workers in
securing the passage of the prerequisite amendment to the pharmacy law in the
state of Pennsylvania in the spring of 1905. In 1886-1887 Professor Remington
was elected a fellow of the Chemical, of the Linnean and of the Royal Micro-
scopical Societies of Great Britain. He has been a recipient of the honorary de-
gree of Master of Pharmacy (Phar. M.) of the Philadelphia College of Phar-
macy and that of Doctor of Pharmacy (Phar. D.) from the Northwestern Uni-
versity of Chicago. He is an honorary member of the College of Pharmacy of
the city of New York and of the State Pharmaceutical Associations of New
York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Nebraska, Ohio, Colorado, Virginia, Geor-
gia and others. He is a member of the American Philosophical Society, the
American Chemical Society, the American Geographical Society, a life member
of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia and of the Historical Society
of Pennsylvania. He was appointed to represent the United States at the eighth
International Pharmaceutical Congress, held at Brussels in 1896; was a dele-
gate to the Pan-American Medical Congress in 1893; also to the second con-
gress in Mexico in 1896. He holds honorary membership in the Pharmaceutical
Society of Great Britain; the British Pharmaceutical Conference; Pharmaceu-
tische Gesellschaft zu St. Petersburg; Institute Medico Nacional, Mexico; So-
ciete de Pharmacie d' Anvers ; Societe Royale de Pharmacie de Bruxelles. He
also holds membership in the Art Club, the Society of American Authors, the
Franklin Inn Club, the Church Club, all of Philadelphia, the Chemists Club of
New York and Authors Club of London. The Eighth International Congress
of Applied Chemistry in 191! elected him president of the section on phar-
maceutical chemistry, and in the same year he was elected member of the Fed-
eration Internationale Pharmaceutique, which meets at The Hague, Holland.

"Professor Remington's connection with the United States Pharmacopoeia
commenced in 1877, when he was appointed to serve on an auxiliary committee
of revision appointed by the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. The following
year the same institution appointed him as a delegate to the National Conven-
tion for Revising the Pharmacopoeia, which body met in Washington, D. C,
in 1880. The report of the committee from the Philadelphia College of Phar-
macy was of such great value to the revision committee that he was elected a
member of the final revising committee and chosen first vice chairman of that
body. In 1890 he was again sent as a delegate by the Philadelphia College of
Pharmacy to the national convention which met in Washington, and was agam
elected to the position of first vice chairman of the final committee of revision,
and it was while serving in this capacity that the lamented death of Charles Rice,
chairman of the national revision committee, occurred on May 13, 1901.
Although elected first vice chairman for the purpose of succeeding- to the chair-
manship. Professor Remington felt that such an important position should not
be filled by succession, and, after serving a short time until the office was in run-
ning order, he asked for a special election to fill the position of chairman, for the
enormous amount of time and labor which this position demands was not wholly



574 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

at his disposal. Of the twenty-six members of the committee of revision twenty-
two voted for the election of Professor Remington, and he felt that, under the
circumstances, it was his duty to accept."

In May, 1910, he was unanimously elected chairman of the committee of re-
vision of the United States Pharmacopoeia, a position of great responsibility
since the national food and drugs act and all of the state food and drug legis-
lation of the country makes the book of which he is the editor the "law of the
land."

On the 3d of June, 1874, was celebrated the marriage of Professor Rem-
ington and Miss Elizabeth B. Collins and they have three sons and two daugh-
ters. Eminent in his chosen field, he is not without those qualities of good fel-
lowship which make for popularity, his friends finding him a congenial and en-
tertaining gentleman whose friendship is a stimulus to intellectual activity and
to the attainment of higher ideals. He maintains a delightful summer home in
Longport, New Jersey, and does not a little work at the seaside, his judicious
system of combining both business and pleasure in the proper proportions en-
abling him to accomplish a wonderful amount of work without loss of the buoy-
ancy of manner and cheerfulness of disposition which have always been char-
acteristic of him and which have won him the warm regard and friendship of
all with whom he has been brought in contact. He is a fluent and forceful
speaker upon any subject pertaining to his professional work and thousands of
pupils who have come under his instruction speak of his remarkable ability as a
teacher. Moreover, he is a man of fine personal appearance, his broad fore-
head giving indication of his strong intellectuality, while the light of his eyes
is also proof of the geniality of his nature which has won him friends wherever
he has gone and gained him the close companionship of many distinguished men.



ISRAEL WISTAR MORRIS.

It is seldom that a man turns from activity in business affairs which has
included the control of interests of great magnitude to devote his life to the
quiet pursuits of literature and gained in the latter field a renown equal to the
success which he achieved in the former, but such was the history of Israel
Wistar Morris, to whom was accorded "that blest accompaniment of age, honor,
riches and troops of friends." Passing from life at the age of eighty years, his
name was enrolled with Philadelphia's most distinguished dead. His fame
rested not alone upon his successful achievement in the development of the
anthracite industry of the country but also on his labors as a historian.

His own ancestral record is one of close connection with the history of
Philadelphia since Anthony Morris came to Pennsylvania and as the associate
of Penn, Logan and Shippen laid out this city. He was appointed justice of
the provincial court by Penn and became the second mayor of Philadelphia,
presiding as chief executive officer for a number of years. From that time to
the present representatives of the name have borne an active and prominent
part in moulding the destiny and promoting the development of the city. Samuel
Morris, the great-grandfather, was captain of the first troop of Philadelphia




ISKAKl, W. .\|()1;KIS



:^ Lie:



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 577

cavalry serving as a bddy-guard to General Washington during the Revolu-
tionary war in the campaigns in this neighborhood.

Israel Wistar Morris was born in Philadelphia in 1835. Ilis liberal educa-
tional privileges were supplemented by a thorough business training and in
early manhood he became interested in the development of the anthracite coal
regions of this state. He devoted his talents as an engineer to that industry
and was quickly recognized as a leader. He operated extensively in Schuylkill
county prior to the Civil war and at a time when the use of anthracite coal for
domestic purposes was unknown west of the Alleghany mountains. During the
progress of the Civil war Mr. Morris became associated with Robert Hare
Powel in both the anthracite and bituminous coal trade and spent much time in
Washington in connection with the preparation of tariff bills bearing upon the
industry. Subsequent to the war he was chosen to the presidency of the Locust
Mountain Coal Company, the Coal Ridge Coal Company and a number of lesser
companies connected with the operations of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. He
made an examination of coal properties for the railroad and purchased many
of their most valuable holdings of that character. He remained in charge of
the company's coal properties until he had reached the age of seventy years,
when he retired from active business.

Mr. Morris thereafter devoted his time to historical research, writing and
the management of his private affairs and to active participation in charitable
and philanthropic work. He had a wonderful knowledge and memory regard-
ing all local historical matters of interest to Philadelphians and had long been
a collector of books, prints and data relating to the history of the city. His
library included a unique copy of Watson's "Annals of Philadelphia," extended
from the original two volumes, as published, to several volumes by the insertion
of rare engravings, prints and illustrations of all sorts of the history of the city.
He was one of the most prominent, active and interested members of the His-
torical Society of Pennsylvania, serving on its board of councilors and making
daily visits to its headquarters. He belonged, moreover, to the American Philo-
sophical Society, the Society of Mining Engineers, and various literary and
scientific organizations. He was also a director of the Girard Trust Company,
of which his son, Effingham B. Morris, has been president for nearly a quarter
of a century.

The residence of Mr. Morris was the old ancestral home which had been in
possession of the family for many generations. He wedded his cousin, Annie
Morris Buckley, a daughter of the late Effingham Lawrence Buckley, of New
York. At three different times at intervals of a generation, four generations of
the Morris family have lived in the old house at the same time. Its fine old
antique furniture has kept the same place in the same room for more than a
century nor has the home ever changed in the character of its hospitality, for
which it was famous even before the Revolutionary war. Long a devoted mem-
ber of the Episcopal church, Mr. Morris was for many years an active manager
of the Episcopal Hospital, succeeding his father. Dr. Caspar Morris, who was
one of the founders of the institution. No good work done in the name of
charity or religion sought his aid in vain. His life history proved that old age
need not suggest as a matter of course idleness or lack of occupation; there is



678 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

an old age which grows stronger and brigher mentally and morally as the years



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 56 of 62)