Ellis Paxson Oberholtzer.

Philadelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) online

. (page 6 of 62)
Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of a banking concern, an insurance company and a water company.

In June, 1867, occurred the marriage of Theodore Armstrong and Miss Fan-
nie Karr, a daughter of Daniel Karr, of New York. They became the parents
of six children: Mary, the wife of William Moyn, Jr., of Philadelphia; Clara,
the wife of H. Townsend Alexander, of Elizabeth, New Jersey; Edward; Wil-
liam; Robert DeRonde, and Theodore. Mr. Armstrong's membership relations
indicate the nature and breadth of his interests and in large measure are indi-
cative of his public spirit. He is a member of the Union League, the Manu-
facturers Club, the Society of Chemical Industry, the American Chemical So-
ciety, the National Association of Manufacturers, the Geographical Society of
Philadelphia, the National Geographic Society, the Historical Society of Penn-
sylvania, the Franklin Institute, the Academy of Fine Arts, the Ancient Order
of United Workmen and the Bookkeepers Beneficial Association of Philadel-
phia. He is also connected with the Veteran Corps of the First Regiment In-
fantry of the National Guards of Pennsylvania. He belongs likewise to the
Fairmount Park Art Association, the Mercantile Beneficial Association and the
Civil Service Reform Association. At no time in the stress of business, in his
relations as a citizen or in his associations in social life has he ever forgotten
the duties and obligations which he owes to his fellowmen, who find him broad-
minded and generous in thought and purpose. The story of his life is the story
of energy and enterprise, stimulated by laudable ambition. It is true he did
not have the humble origin or experience the early privations of some men who
have achieved success, but on the other hand not one in a thousand who have
enjoyed his modest advantages have turned them to such excellent account.



COLLIN FOULKROD, M. D.

Collin Foulkrod, physician and surgeon, at No. 4005 Chestnut street, was
born, in Frankford, Philadelphia, May 5, 1874, a son of George and Annie
(Mills) Foulkrod. In tlie maternal line he is descended from the MacMillans
of Paisley, Scotland, at one time manufacturers of Paisley shawls, and today a
MacMillan church stands as a memorial there to one of the family. In the
paternal line Dr. Foulkrod is a representative of a family of which Senator
Foulkrod in the '50s was the most prominent member — a family which is purely
American for some generations. The old farm house was standing some years
ago near Foulkrod street in Frankford, Philadelphia.

After attending the Central high school, in which he completed his literary
education by graduation in 1891 with the Bachelor of Arts degree, Dr. Foulkrod
entered business life and from 1892 until 1897 was connected with the firm of
Caldwell, Antrim & Company, umbrella manufacturers, as assistant to the manu-
facturer. Thinking to find professional pursuits more congenial, however, and
determining upon the practice of medicine as his life work, he matriculated in
the Jefferson Medical College, from which he won his degree upon his gradua-



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 53

tion with the class of 1901. Immediately afterward he spent a term as resident
physician at the Presbyterian Hospital in I'hila(lel[)hia, remaining incumbent for
two years. He then put his theoretical knowledge to a practical test and added
largely to his efficiency by the broad and varied training received in hospital
practice. On the expiration of that period he opened an office at 4022 Chestnut
street and has since given his attention to the general practice of medicine, al-
though several official positions which he has filled indicate his tendency toward
specialization. In 1903 he became dispensary gynecologist to the Presbyterian
Hospital and has since served in that capacity, and since 1906 has been assistant
obstetrician to the same hospital. From 1903 to the present day he has been
assistant demonstrator of obstetrics at the Jefferson Medical College. He be-
longs to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.

On the 13th of June, 1906, in Philadelphia, Dr. Foulkrod was married to
Miss Gertrude Allen, a daughter of Thomas and Mary G. Allen, and they now
have one child, Marie. Dr. Foulkrod was a member of the Hermon Presbyterian
church of Frankford from his childhood until 1903, since which time his mem-
bership has been in the Tabernacle Presbyterian church of West Philadelphia.
He is a member of the Lister Club and is well known socially as well as profes-
sionally. With a nature that could never be content with mediocrity he has
passed beyond the ranks of the many and stands among the successful few in
his profession.



HON. JAMES GAY GORDON.

Hon. James Gay Gordon, who resigned as judge of the court of common
pleas after thirteen years' service on the bench, to resume the private practice
of law and is now accorded a large and distinctively representative clientage,
was born in Philadelphia November 11, 1855. While spending his youthful
days in the home of his parents, Andrew and Mary (Caldwell) Gordon, he pur-
sued a public-school education, which was completed by graduation from the
Central high school with the class of February, 1873. Five years later the Cen-
tral high school conferred upon him the Master of Arts degree in recognition of
the creditable work which he had already done as a member of the bar. Hav-
ing qualified for the profession, he was admitted to practice in Philadelphia in
February, 1876. No dreary novitiate awaited him. Wisely and conscientiously
using the talents with which nature endowed him, thoroughly and carefully pre-
paring his cases, he soon established himself at the bar as one who is master of
intricate problems of the law. His professional strength was indicated by the
number of forensic victories which he won and which early gave to him rating
with the strong representatives of the legal fraternity here.

At the same time he became a recognized leader in political circles, and in
1880 was elected on the democratic ticket to the position of state senator. His
success in the upper house of the general assembly is a matter of record, and
the value thereof is further attested in the fact that on the 17th of October,
1885, he was appointed judge of the court of common pleas. His service on



54 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

the bench received indorsement in his election for a full term of ten years in
November, 1886, and in his reelection for a second term in November, 1896.
He continued to preside over the common pleas court until October, 1898, when,
believing- that the field of law rather than the bench offered wider opportunities,
he resigned to resume legal practice in October, 1898.

On the 14th of November, 1883, Judge Gordon was married to Miss Kate
LeCompte Woolford, a daughter of Colonel James H. and Kate LeCompte
(Jones) Woolford. Her father was a grandson of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas
Woolford, commanding the Fifth Maryland Regiment in the war for American
independence. Her father was a colonel in the Mexican war and comptroller of
the Confederate treasury during the Civil war. The children of Judge and Mrs.
Gordon are John Douglas, James Gay, Mary Caldwell, Charles Caldwell, Kate
LeCompte Woolford and Andrew Woolford Gordon.



THE LOVETT MEMORIAL FREE LIBRARY.

The Lovett Memorial Free library is an institution of which Philadelphia
has every reason to be proud. It was built through the munificence of Mrs.
Charlotte (Lovett) Bostwick in memory of her brother Thomas R. Lovett, who
died December 23, 1875. Lie was greatly interested in libraries and the work
accomplished thereby and, therefore, at his death his sister, Mrs. Bostwick, built
the library as a memorial to her brother. For this purpose she gave a tract of
land extending for about three hundred and fifty feet on Germantown avenue at
the corner of Sedgwick street, and in 1887 she erected the building, which is a
fine stone structure. She also gave a large number of books for the establish-
ment of the library, and in addition to giving the land and buildings, she turned
over to the trustees an endowment fund of thirty-five thousand dollars. The
library contains some excellent reference books, but is largely a circulating li-
brary, and is well patronized throughout this section of the city. It is a splendid
memorial to one who recognized the value of giving to the public reading matter
which should serve at once as a means of recreation and education.



WILSON EYRE.



Wilson Eyre, an architect with a large clientage, was born in Florence, Italy,
October 30, 1858, a son of Wilson and Louisa (Lear) Eyre. He pursued his
education in Italy until 1869, when, following the removal of his parents to the
United States, he continued his studies in Newport, Rhode Island, until 1872.
During the two succeeding years he studied in Lenoxville, Canada, and in 1875
pursued a preparatory course in Woburn, Massachusetts, after which he qualified
for the profession which he has made his life work by taking a general course
in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston. After leaving that
institution he became associated with J. P. Sims, an architect of Philadelphia,
with whom he continued until 1881.



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 55

Since that time Mr. Eyre has practiced independently and in many of the
finest structures found in the leading cities of both the east and the west are
seen the evidences of his handiwork. He has erected many buildings in and
around Philadelphia and New York, also several buildings for the Newcomb
Memorial College at New Orleans, and the Detroit Club in Detroit, Michigan.
His fame as an architect has spread afar and he ranks prominently among the
more successful representatives of the profession. He is a member of the Amer-
ican Institute of Architects, of the Social Science Association, and in more
strictly social lines is connected with the T Square Club and the Philadelphia
Club.



LOUIS PLUMER POSEY. M. D.

Dr. Louis Plumer Posey, physician and surgeon of Philadelphia, is a native
of this city and a son of Dr. David Root Posey, deceased, by whom he is de-
scended from the Root, Cochanour, Longacre and Landis families. His mother
before her marriage was Emily Jewel Campbell, and in the maternal line Dr.
Posey traces his ancestry from the Hinkle, Hughes and Levering families of
Pennsylvania. His preparatory education was acquired at the Protestant Epis-
copal Academy of Philadelphia, and subsequently he became a student in the
college department of the University of Pennsylvania. His more specifically
literary course completed, he determined upon the practice of medicine as his
life work and in preparation therefore entered Hahnemann Medical College of
Philadelphia, receiving his Doctor's degree in 1883. He subsequently pursued
a post-graduate course in the Philadelphia School of Anatomy and throughout
his professional career has remained a close student of the science of medicine
and surgery, as does every progressive and successful practitioner.

For two years following his graduation. Dr. Posey occupied the position of
chief resident physician at Hahnemann Hospital and broad experience of hos-
pital practice well qualified him for the work which he undertook when he en-
tered upon the private practice of medicine in his native city in 1885. A quarter
of a century has since passed and his advancement throughout these years has
been continuous, bringing him to a leading position as a representative of the
medical fraternity of his native city. His standing among his fellow practition-
ers here is indicated in the fact that he was honored with the presidency of the
Philadelphia County Homeopathic Medical Society. Important professional
work has been entrusted to him and aside from his private practice he is serving
as a trustee of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, is visiting physician
to the Children's Homeopathic Hospital of Philadelphia, is a member of the
board of medical examiners of the state, is civil service medical examiner for
the city of Philadelphia and holds membership with the American Institute of
Homeopathy, the Pennsylvania State Homeopathic Medical Society, the Ger-
mantown Homeopathic Medical Society, and is one of the board of directors of
the Alumni Society of Hahnemann Medical College.



56 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

Dr. Posey's interest along scientific lines outside the strict path of his pro-
fession is indicated in the fact that he is a member of the Pennsylvania Society,
the Sons of the Revolution, the Pennsylvania Historical Society and he is also
a member of the Union League, Philadelphia ; the Lincoln Club ; the Merion Cricket
Club of Haverford ; and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is also one of
the trustees of the Second Presbyterian church of Philadelphia.

Dr. Posey was married on the 2d of May, 1901, to Miss Mary Elizabeth
Fuller, a daughter of the late David Fuller, of Fayette county, Pennsylvania.
Theirs is one of the hospitable homes of the city. Dr. Posey is ever appreciative
of the social amenities of life, yet regards his professional duties as paramount
to all else and broadening experience and research have made him the able and
distinguished physician whose position is established by the regard of his fellow
practitioners and the consensus of public opinion.



L. O. MILLER.



L. O. Miller, whose rise in the business world has been marked by that or-
derly progression which indicates the wise use of each opportunity and advan-
tage, is now the president of the Pilgrim Laundry Company and as such the
head of an extensive enterprise, second to none in Philadelphia. He maintains
his residence in Germantown, one of the most beautiful suburbs of the city.
His birth occurred in Wyoming county, New York, June 24, 1871. His father,
Lyman Miller, of Middleburg, New York, was born in 1825. His mother,
Loraine (Ewell) Miller was born in 1831. They were representatives of pio-
neer families of Vermont and became early residents of western New York.

L. O. Miller, after attending the district schools, became a high-school pupil
in Warsaw, New York. His father died when the son was but twelve years of
age, leaving the family in somewhat straitened financial circumstances, but
Mr. Miller made good use of his opportunities to secure an education, realizing
that it is the best possible preparation for life's practical and responsible duties.
Putting aside his text-books he was employed by the Empire Salt Company of
Warsaw, New York, under N. S. Beardsley, the president of the International
Salt Company, a shrewd, able and enterprising business man, whose example
constituted a stimulus to the efforts of the boy. Later Mr. Miller chose the
laundry business as a profitable field of labor and, going to Brooklyn, New York,
was employed by the Pilgrim Laundry Company. In 1898 he came to Phila-
delphia, was instrumental in organizing the American Laundry Company and
accepted a position in connection with the conduct of the business. Shortly
afterward he was instrumental in organizing the Pilgrim Laundry Company
under entirely different ownership and in executive control and active manage-
ment he has developed what is now the largest enterprise of this character in
Philadelphia.

On the 7th of February, 1901, occurred the marriage of Mr. Miller and Miss
Florine Fargo, the niece of William G. Fargo, at one time mayor of Buffalo
and also president of the Wells Fargo Express Company. Their two children



HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA 59

are Marian Fargo and Harrison Fargo, aged respectively eight and six years,
now students in the Friends school of Germantown.

The family residence is an attractive home, in addition to which Mr. Miller
is the owner of other valuable real estate and is likewise a shareholder in various
business concerns, his investments therein indicating the soundness of his busi-
ness judgment. His political views are thoroughly in accord with the principles
of the republican party, but he votes more for the man than the party, believing
that the best interests of the country will be conserved by honest and capable
officials. He attends the High Street Methodist Episcopal church, and is deeply
interested in the welfare and progress of Germantown as his place of residence,
as well as the larger city with which his extensive industrial interests are allied.



OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL.

The parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel, of which the Rev. Angelo Caruso
is the rector, was founded on the 9th of January, 1898, and was entrusted to the
Italian fathers of the order of St. Augustine. Father Caruso is superior of the
house. The first rector was Father William Repetti, who died eighteen months
after his appointment as pastor and was succeeded by Father Caruso, O. S. A.
The church owned no parish at that time. Father Caruso purchased land and
an old school building of the St. Paul Catholic church. It was immediately put
to use and was occupied until the 26th of November, 1899, when the new church
was dedicated by Cardinal Martinelli assisted by Archbishop Ryan and Bishop
Prendergast. The sermon was preached by Father McDemort of St. Mary's
church. The church of Our Lady of Good Counsel has a seating capacity of
eight hundred. The first floor was dedicated in November, 1899, and in 1901
two upper stories were built for school purposes and were dedicated in Sep-
tember of that year by Cardinal Martinelli. The school opened with three hun-
dred and seventy children in attendance. In 1902-3 there were four hundred
and eighty-five children. The following year another school building was erected
and was dedicated in March, 1903, by Bishop Prendergast. In the school year
of 1903-4 there were eight hundred and forty-seven children in attendance. The
following year there were nine hundred and twenty-one ; in 1905-6, eleven hun-
dred and ninety ; and in 1906-7, eleven hundred and forty-two ; while during the
year 1908-9 there were eleven hundred and nineteen pupils, the decrease being
accounted for in the fact that another school had been opened at St. Paul's parish
within two blocks. There are now sixteen school rooms and eighteen teachers,
who are sisters of St. Francis. The pastor has four assistants. There are now
one thousand families in the parish.

Father Caruso was born at Allavilla, Ispina, Italy, April 10, 1870, a son of
Emilio Caruso, a civil engineer who was born in 1834 and died in 1902. Angelo
Caruso pursued his education in the college of St. Monica in Rome and was
ordained in June, 1892, by Bishop Benini in the Pescia diocese. He was first
assistant in St. Augustine church in Rome and then came to the LTnited States,
after which he acted as assistant in the parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel



60 HISTORY OF PHILADELPHIA

until appointed rector. In addition to various other lines of church work, the
parish maintains a kindergarten, which was estabhshed in 1900 at 744 South
Tentii street. They started with fifteen children. There is also a day nursery
with one hundred and twenty children. A school of music for boys has an at-
tendance of forty pupils and its well trained band attained such efficiency that
they were engaged to play at Washington Park in 1900. These boys are on an
average of thirteen years of age and many of them are displaying rare musical
talent. In 1908 Father Caruso organized a Musical Society of St. Cecilia with
eighty-five members between the ages of nine and sixteen years, who are under
the direction of C. Pupilla, one of the best band directors of northern Europe.



CHARLES SOWER POTTS, M. D.

In private and hospital practice, in important professorships and in author-
ship Dr. Potts has given evidence of knowledge and ability that has placed him
far beyond the ranks of mediocrity among those whose labors have been factors
in the enlightenment of the race concerning scientific facts which have been re-
vealed through diligent investigation and discovery. He was bom January 30,
1864, in Philadelphia, a son of Francis Cresson and Emma (Bilger) Potts. The
father was a lineal descendant of David Potts, who came from Montgomery-
shire, Wales, and settled in Pennsylvania, near Bristol, about 1690. The com-
plete ancestral history of the family has been written under the title of "The
Potts Family in America," edited by Thomas Maxwell Potts, of Canonsburg,
Pennsylvania. The ancestors of the Bilger family came from Wurtemberg, Ger-
many, prior to the Revolutionary war. The grandfather of ]\Irs. Potts was a
soldier of the war for independence and her father, Isaac Bilger, was a veteran
of the war of 1812. Francis Potts was well known in business circles as a mem-
ber of the firm of Sower, Potts & Company, schoolbook publishers and the prede-
cessors of the Christopher Sower Publishing Company at 614 Arch street.

Charles S. Potts in the pursuit of his education completed a course in the
Central high school with the B. A. degree in 1882 and obtained his professional
degree in the University of Pennsylvania in 1885. He then entered upon the
practice of medicine and in addition to his duties as a private practitioner he has
been connected with much important hospital work and has also occupied several
professorships. He was resident physician of the Philadelphia Hospital from
October, 1885, to October, 1886, and through the ensuing year practiced in Lu-
zerne county, Pennsylvania. He afterward assisted as interne for short periods
at the State Hospital for Insane at Norristown, Pennsylvania, and at the Uni-
versity Hospital at Philadelphia, and was assistant physician at the dispensary
for nervous diseases of the University Hospital from 1888 until 1892. In the
latter year he was made chief physician, which position he filled until July, 1907,
and from 1893 until July i, 1907, he was assistant neurologist at the University
Hospital. In addition to his services as a practitioner in hospital work he was
made instructor in electro-therapeutics at the University of Pennsylvania in 1890,
was instructor in nervous diseases from 1892 until 1902, associate in neurology



HISTORY OF PHlLADELl'llIA 61

from 1902 until July i, 1907, and on the latter date became professor of neu-
rology in the Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia. He served as con-
sulting alienist to the Eastern Penitentiary of Pennsylvania from March, 1897,
until 1901 inclusive, has been consulting physician to the Hospital for Insane in
Atlantic county, New Jersey, since December, 1897, and neurologist to the Phila-
delphia Hospital and consulting physician to the department for insane of the
Philadelphia Hospital since December, 1900. In 1907 he was made a member of
the advisory board for the department for insane of the Philadelphia Hospital.
His opinions have largely come to be sought as authority upon mental and nervous
diseases and the best methods of treatment. His studies have been carried for-
ward along constantly broadening lines and the results of his researches have been
given to the public in various published papers and reviews. He is also the author
of a Manual of Nervous and Mental Diseases, which was published by Lea &
Febiger and is now in the second edition. Dr. Potts is a member of the local
medical societies and a member of the American Aledical Association, is a fellow
of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and a member of the American
Neurological Association.

Dr. Potts has always been a republican where national issues are involved
but in municipal politics is independent. In 1883 he became a member of the
Phi Delta Theta, a college fraternity, and in 1902 of the Nu Sigma Nu, a medical
fraternity. He belongs to the Undine Barge, the Philobiblon, Medical and Uni-
versity Clubs of Philadelphia and has taken considerable interest in athletics,
especially rowing. He was a member of varsity eight of the University of Penn-
sylvania in 1884 and 1885, and has served on the committee of rowing at the uni-
versity. He is likewise a life member of the College Boat Club and he believes
in stimulating an active and helpful interest in athletics and all manly outdoor
sports. Laudable ambition and love of scientific research have been the salient
elements in his professional career, prompting his progress in lines that have
brought him honor and success and at the same time have made his labors a val-
uable contribution to science.



WILLIAM B. S. FERGUSON.

William B. S. Ferguson, engaged in the general practice of law in Philadel-
phia, his native city, was born in 1885, the eldest of the three children of John
and Mary L. (Scott) Ferguson, also natives of this city. The father is of Scotch-



Online LibraryEllis Paxson OberholtzerPhiladelphia; a history of the city and its people, a record of 225 years (Volume 4) → online text (page 6 of 62)