Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 100 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 100 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and upon coming here established a mill at Barrett, the settlement wdiich
sprang up around the same being the first considerable settlement in this part
of the state. His mill was the first saw- and flour-mill in northeastern Kan-
sas and the settlers for many miles about patronized him. Further mention
of the life of this enterprising pioneer and useful citizen is made elsewhere
in this volume and it is not necessary here to enlarge on the same, it being



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. < 999

snfificient to say that Mrs. Van VHet's parents performed nobly their part in
the development of Marshall county, that both lived to ripe old age and in
their passing left a memory that is as enduring as the community they vir-
tually established and to which for years they gave the best that was in them.
To Mr. and Mrs. Van Vliet three children have been born, Mrs. Eliza-
beth Haskins, who lives on a farm in the vicinity of the village of Vliets, in
Noble township ; Winifred, who married W. J. Schiller, of the Central Lum-
ber Company, Kansas City, and died on June 29, 1916, leaving an infant
son, George Walter Schiller, and Hiram, who died on January 15, 1902, he
then being twelve years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Van Vliet have ever given
their earnest attention to the general social activities of their home com-
munity and have been helpful in promoting all movements designed to ad-
vance the common welfare thereabout. Mr. Van Vliet is a Democrat and
has ever given a good citizen's attention to local civic affairs, bilt has not
been included in the office-seeking class. For more than twenty years he
has been a member of the Masonic fraternity and takes a warm interest in
the affairs of the local lodge of that ancient order.



KASPER WESTBURG.



Kasper Westburg, owner of the northwest quarter of section 22 in Rock
township, this county, where he has a very comfortable home, is a native of
the kingdom of Sweden, born there on December 16, 1862, son and only
child of Hans and Eva (Peterson) Johnson, who spent all their lives in that
country. Hans Johnson died in 1874 and his Avidow married again and lived
until 19 14, she being seventy-two years of age at the time of her death. By
her second marriage she was the mother of three children, Martha and
Sandra, who are living in their native land, and Carl, who came to this
countiy and is now living at Kansas City, Missouri.

Upon attaining his majority Kasper Westburg decided to come to the
United States and upon his arrival here came on out to Kansas, arriving at
Frankfort, in this county, April 17, 1886. For three months after his arrival
here he was engaged in farm labor in the vicinity of Frankfort and then
began working as a stone mason, quarrying rock at Frankfort. He then
presently rented a farm in this county and worked the same for four years,
at the end of which time, in 1892, he pushed on farther west and home-
steaded a quarter of a section of land in Wallace county, this state, taking



lOOO MARSHALL COljNTY, KANSAS.

possession of the same in 1893. building a claim shanty on the place and
starting in to develop the farm. While thus engaged he divided his time
between his homestead tract and a job he secured over in Colorado as a farm
hand, driving back and forth from the farm on which he was employed to
his homestead, under the mistaken impression that he could hold his home-
stead in this fashion. Upon losing his homestead Mr. Westburg went over
into the gold fields of the Cripple Creek country and was there engaged seek-
ing fortunes until 1897, when he returned to Marshall county and rented a
farm in Rock township, on which he "batched" until his marriage in 1899.
He then rented the old Kellberg farm and there lived for five years, or until
1904, when he bought his present well-improved farm of one hundred and-
sixty acres in section 22 of that same township, where he since has made his
home and where he and his family are very pleasantly situated.

On April i, 1899, Kasper Westburg Avas united in marriage to Louise
Carlson, who was born in Sweden, daughter of Carl J. and Petronella
(Johnson) Carlson, and who left Sweden in 1895, her parents continuing
to reside in that country. To this union one child has been born, Raymond
K., born on ^lay 2. 191 1. Mr. and Mrs. W'estburg are members of the
Lutheran church and take a proper interest in church work and in other
good works in the neighborhood of their home. Mr. Westburg is a Repub-
lican and gives a good citizen's attention to the political affairs of his
adopted country.



HERMAN JOHNSON.



Herman Johnson, one of Marshall county's substantial pioneer farmers
and the proprietor of a fine farm in section 2 of Vermillion township, where
he has made his home for nearly forty years, is a native of the far-away
kingdom of Norway, but has been a resident of this country ever since the
days of his young manhood. He w'as born on a farm near the city of
Christiania, Norway, February 24. 1847, son and eldest of the seven children
of P. J. and Karen Johnson, natives of that country, who spent all their
lives there, the former, who died in 191 5, liA'ing to the great age of ninety
years.

Reared on the home farm in his native Norway, Herman Johnson re-
mained at home until after attaining his majority, when, in 1868, he came
to the United States and proceeded on out to Minnesota, whence so many
of his countrymen had preceded him, and there he became engaged as a



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. lOOI

member of a railway construction crew. In 1871, at Preston, Minnesota,
Mr. Johnson married Lottie Nevins, of Elyria, Ohio, and presently went
with his wife to Elyria. in the vicinity of which city, in Lorain county, he
became engaged in farming and was thus engaged there for six years, at
the end of which time, in 1877, he came to Kansas on a bit of a prospecting
trip and bought a tract of one hundred and twenty acres in section 2 of
Vermillion township, this county, and in the spring of the following year,
1878, brought his family out here and settled on the farm, -where he ever
since has made his home and which he had developed into one of the best-
improved and most highly cultivated farms in that part of the county. The
land for Avhich he paid seven dollars an acre is now well worth one hundred
and twenty-five dollars an acre and he has never regretted the choice which
caused him to settle in Marshall county. In addition to his general farming,
Mr. Johnson has long given considerable attention to the raising of live stock
and has done very well. 'He has some particularly fine Percheron stock on
his place and formerly exhibited his horses at the local fairs. He has given
much attention to this line of stock and has done much to improve the strain
of horseflesh in his neighborhood.

Mr. Johnson has been twice married. His first wife. Lottie Nevins,
whom he married in Minnesota, died at her home in this county in 1895,
leaving six children, namely: Gertrude W., who is a trained nurse, now
living at Carrollton. Missouri ; Grace, wife of Doctor Olson, of Clay Center,
this state; Karina. who is a clerk in a dry-goods store at Manhattan, Kan-
sas; Edward S.. who is engaged in the hardware and agricultural-implement
business at Rockford, Minnesota; Carl O., who is a graduate architect and
is now engaged as a building contractor at Clay Center, and Mina, a grad-
uate nurse, who married Lewis Rea and is now living on a farm near Carroll-
ton, Missouri.

On October 14, 1909, Mr. Johnson married, secondly, Mrs. Sarah Eliz-
abeth (Wharton) Richards, of Olney, Illinois, widow of Henrv^ Richards,
whom she married at Olney in 1894 and who died in 1900. Mrs. Johnson
was born in Indiana on December 18, 1858, a daughter of Joseph and Cath-
erine Wharton, natives of that same state, who moved to Illinois in 1859.
Joseph Wharton served as a soldier of the Union during the Civil W^ar, a
member of a company in an Illinois regiment of volunteer infantry, and dur-
ing that period of service was captured by the enemy and was held in Libby
Prison for thirteen months and fourteen days. Both he and his wife spent
their last days in Illinois, the latter dying in 1885 and the former living until
1892. It was at Olney, Illinois, that Sarah Elizabeth Wharton grew to



1002 MAKSIl \I.I. (OrXTV. KANSAS.

womanhood and there she married Henry Richards, who died six years later,
witliout issne. Some time after her husband's death slie came out to Kansas
on a visit to friends and Iicre she met and married 'Mv. Johnson. The John-
sons have a very pleasant liome and take a proper part in the general social
activities of their home community. They are members of the Presbyterian
church and Mr. Johnson is a member of the Frankfort lodge of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Daughters of Rebekah, of which
latter lodge Airs. Johnson also is a member. Mr. Jolinson is a Republican
and has given his earnest attention to the political affairs of his adopted
country ever since accjuiring citizenship here, but has never been a seeker
after public office.



\\ILLIAM M. DRUMM.



William M. Drumm, one of Marshall county's best-known and most
substantial landowners and the proprietor of a fine farm in Bigelow town-
ship, is a native of the old Buckeye state and has been a resident of this
countv since 18S3, when he came over here from Missouri and settled on
the place where he has now been long established and where he and his
family are very comfortably situated. He was born on a farm in Logan
county, Ohio, January 17, 1848, the fifth in order of birth of the ten chil-
dren born to his parents, Samuel H. and Mary Jane (Holmes) Drumm, the
former a native of Ohio and the latter of Virginia, whose last days were
spent in Illinois. Of their ten children, five sons, are still living, three sons
and two daughters being deceased.

Samuel H. Drumm was the son and only child of John and Frances
(Hanson) Drumm. the former of wdiom was born in Germany and the latter
in tlie state of Ohio. John Drumm left his native Geriiiany with his par-
ents, en route to the United States. The parents died on board ship on
the way over and upon his arrival in this country he settled in Virginia,
later moving to Ohio. He enlisted for service upon the declaration of war
against England in 18 12 and rendered valiant service during the second
American war of independence, but was compelled to suffer the humiliation
of surrender under General Hull at Detroit. Samuel H. Drumm grew up in
Ohio and there married Mary Jane Holmes, who was born in Virginia in
1818, a daughter of Nathaniel and Betty (Whitley) Holmes, the former
of whom also was a soldier during the War of 181 2. Some time after
his marriage Samuel H. Drumm moved to Illinois, settling on a farm in



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOO3

Edgar county, where he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring
in 1901, he then being eighty-four years of age. His widow survived him
until 1904.

William M. Drumm was but a child when his parents moved to Illinois
from his native Ohio and there he grew to manhood on a farm, remaining
there until he reached his majority, when, in 1869, he went to Missouri,
where he began working at farm labor, later becoming engaged on county
bridge work. After his marriage in 1874 he began farming on his own
account, on a rented place, but the next year, in 1875, he bought a forty-
acre farm in Nodaway county, that state, where he made his home until
1882, in which year he sold out his holdings in Missouri and with his family
and some necessary household articles drove over into Gage county, Nebraska,
leading a cow behind his covered wagon, with a view to buying a tract of
Indian land that had just been opened to settlement. He found the price
of that land too high, however, and the next year, in 1883, fitted out an-
other covered wagon and drove on down into Kansas and settled in his
present location in section 16 of Bigelow township, this county, where he
bought land and where he ever since has been established, now owning two
hundred and twenty acres in the home tract in section 16 and the north
half of the northwest quarter of section 22 and the west half of the south-
west quarter of section 15. When Mr. Drumm bought his home place in
this county the same was partly broke and there was a log cabin on it. He
built an addition to that humble house and lived in the same for a year or
two, at the end of which time he moved to the village of Bigelow in order to
secure for his children better advantages in the way of schooling, continuing,
however, to farm his place and to improve and develop the same. In 1892
he moved back to the farm, built a new house and made other essential im-
provements and has lived there ever since, now having one of the best-
established fami plants in that part of the county. Mr. Drumm is a Demo-
crat and has ever given his thoughtful attention to local political affairs.
He was a former member of the school board at Bigelow and in 191 6 was
a member of the Democratic county central committee, representing his
home township.

In 1874, while living in Nodaway county, :\Iissouri, AVilliam M. Drumm
was united in marriage to :\Iary Lynch, who was born in that county on
February 14, 1852. a daughter of Thomas and Lizzie (Mercer) Lynch, na-
tives of Kentucky, and to this union eight children have been born, three of
whom died in infancy, the others being as follow : Alta. who married Charles
Phillips, now living in Garfield county, Oklahoma, and two children. Vera



T004 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

and Milton E. ; Odessa, who married Lee Fraker, a bookkeeper, living at
Kansas City, Missouri, and has one child a daughter, Helen; Charles E., who
is now conducting a gold-cure institute at Grand Island, Nebraska, in partner-
ship with Charles Judd : ]\Iary, who married Joseph Wasser, of Frankfort, this
county, and has one child, a son, Garwood, and Clarence Milton, who is
now at home assisting his father in the management of the farm. Clarence
M. Drumm was graduated from the normal school at Grand Island and
later taught in that institution. During his school days he achieved con-
siderable note as an athlete and for some time was a baseball player, attached
to the Nebraska state league of baseball clubs. Charles E. Drumm (called
Ed), taught school for ten years and in 1908 was elected county superintend-
ent of Marshall county. He served for four years before going into the gold-
cure business.

For forty-two years William M. Drumm has been a member of the
Masonic fraternity, now affiliated with the lodge of that order at Irving, and
has ever taken a warm interest in the affairs of that ancient order. He also
is a member of the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen and takes much
interest in the affairs of that order. ■



ERSKINE W. JOHNSTON.

Erskine W. Johnston, a progressive and up-to-date young farmer of.
Rock township, this county, is a native son of Marshall county and has lived
here all his life with the exception of three or four years spent in Labette
county, in the southern part of the state. He was born on a farm in Rock
township, not far from his present place of residence, January 25, 1890, son
of Henry and Laura E. Johnson, the former of whom, born in 1847, died
in April, 1905, and the latter of whom, born in 1854, is now living at Frank-
fort. Henry Johnston was a native of Canada and came from there to
Kansas in pioneer days. He was twice married and by his first marriage
was the father of two children, William, who lives four milest west of the
old home in Rock township, and Mrs. Janie Ward, of Westmoreland, in the
neighboring county of Pottawattomie. By his second marriage Henry John-
ston was the father of three children, Mrs. Bertha McConchie, of Washing-
ton, this state ; Earl B., of \\^estmoreland, and Erskine W.

Erskine W. Johnston was reared on the farm on vi'hich he was born
in- Rock township and completed his schooling in the high school at Frank-



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOO5

fort. He then engaged in the agricultural-implement business at Frankfort
and was thus engaged until 191 1, when he went to southern Kansas and
bought a farm in Labette county, where he remained until 191 5, when he sold
out there and returned to Marshall county and bought the farm on which he
is now living and where he and his family are very pleasantly and ver>^
comfortably situated. Upon taking possession of that farm Mr. Johnson
erected a handsome modern residence and his well-kept farm plant is in
keeping with the same, the plant bearing many evidences of the up-to-date
character of the owner's methods of carrying on his farming- operations.

In 191 1 Erskine W. Johnston was united in marriage to Fay Slater,
of Frankfort, this county, daughter of H. and Catherine Slater, who came
to this state from Indiana and located at Frankfort, where Mr. Slater, who
is now living at x\xtell, formerly was engaged in the laundry business. Mr.
and Mrs. Johnson have one child, a son, Clement, born on March i, 191 6.
They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a proper part
in church work, as well as in the community's general socia.1 activities, and
are interested in all measures having to do with the common welfare. Mr.
Johnston is a Republican and, fraternally, is affiliated with the local lodge
of the Knights and Ladies of Security, in the affairs of which he takes a
warm interest.



JOHN F. HARPER.



John F. Harper, a well-known and substantial farmer of Marshall
county, an extensive landowner in Vermillion township, who formerly and
for years was engaged in the grain business at Vermillion, but who for the
past fifteen years or more has made his home on his well-kept farm in the
township of that name, is a native of Virginia, but has been a resident of
this county since the days of his young manhood. He was born in that
section of the Old Dominion which since the days of the Civil War has been
known as West Virginia, October 3, 1858, son of Thomas and Margaret Jane
(Ferguson) Harper, natives of Scotland, who became pioneers of Marshall
county and here spent their last days.

Both Thomas Harper and Margaret Jane Ferguson, though born in
Scotland, were reared in the neighborhood of Belfast, in the north of Ireland,
their respective parents having moved there during the days of their child-
hood, and there both were orphaned. When about sixteen years of age they
both came to this country with kinsfolk and settled in New Jersey, not far



lOOf) T^rARSHALL COUNTY. KANSAS.

from the city of Philadelphia, where they grew up and were married, later
settling in western Virginia, where they lived until 1876, when they moved
to the state of Illinois. Three years later, in 1879, they came to Kansas
and located in X'ermillion township, this county. There Thomas Harper
bought a farm and there he made his liome until 1890, \vhen he retired from
the farm and moved to the village of Vermillion, where his last days were
spent, his death occurring in 1900, he then being seventy-six years of age.
His widow survived him but tw^o years, her death occurring in 1902, she then
being seventy-eight years of age. They were the parents of five children,
of wdiom the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth, the
others being as follow : ^hs. Elizabeth Hough, of Norton county, this state;
Mrs. Howard Schaefer and Mrs. Isabelle Oliver (twnns), the former of
whom lives at Vermillion, this county, and the latter in Norton county, and
Thomas, a substantial farmer, of the neighborhood southeast of Frankfort.
John F. Harper was reared on a farm in West Virginia and was about
eighteen years of age wdien his parents moved to Illinois. There he com-
pleted his schooling, attending school a couple of terms after going to that
state, and was about twenty-one years of age wdien the family came to Kansas
and settled in this county in 1879. Two years later, in 1881, he rented a
tract of land and began farming on his own account, at the same time en-
gaging in the live-stock business at Vermillion, and was thus engaged for
tw^entv years, at the end of which time he bought his present home farm of
three hundred and twenty acres in Vermillion township and has since made
his home there, he and his family being very comfortably and very pleasantly
situated. In addition to the farm of three hundred and tw-enty acres here
referred to, Mr. Harper is the owner of a farm of one hundred and ninety-
eight acres north of there and is cjuite well circumstanced.

Mr. Harper has been twice married. In 1883 he was united in marriage
to Hattie Dilley, who died in February, 1889, leaving two sons, Glenn and
Harry, both of whom are now living at Caddoa, Colorado, the fonner being
there engaged in the lumljer Ijusiness and the latter farming. On May 3,
1893. John F. Harper married, secondly, Rosa Crawford, who was born at
Cottage Hill, in Jackson county. West Virginia. December 16, 1863, a
daughter of James and Jane (Dudgeon) Crawford, the latter of whom died
in 1874 and the former of whom, born in November, 1831, is still living in
West Virginia. Rosa Crawford came to Kansas in October, 1888, and it
was here that she first met Mr. Harper, whom she married in 1893. To
this union three children haxe been born. Armour, who is now attending the
Salina Business College ; Mabel, a student at the State University at Law-



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. IOO7

rence, and Justin. The Harpers have a ver\^ pleasant home and take a
proper part in the general social activities of their home community. Mr.
Harper is a Republican and has ever given a good citizen's attention to
political affairs, but has not been a seeker after office. He is a Mason, a
member of the local lodge of that ancient order at Vermillion, and is also a
member of the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America, in the
affairs of both of which organizations he takes a warm and active interest.



JOHN A. WINOUIST.



John A. Winquist, one of Marshall county's pioneers, a large landowner
m Lincoln township, and who claims the distinction of being the head of
the largest family in Marshall county, is a native of Sweden, but has been
a resident of Marshall county since 1875, he having come here with his
father in that year, and has thus been a witness to and a participant in the
development of this county since pioneer days. He was born on February 19,
1855, son of Nels and Olina B. Winquist, natives of the same county, the
former born on August 15, 181 7, and the latter. March 5, 1821, who became
pioneers of Marshall county and here spent their last days.

In 1870 Nels Winquist and his two sons, John A. and Severin, then
mere boys, the former being but fifteen years of age. came to the United
States with a view to making a new home on this side of the water. Upon
his arrival here ]\Ir. Winquist located in Connecticut, where he began work-
ing in a stone quarry. The next }ear he and his two elder sons were joined

' by the mother and the other three children and the family remained in
Connecticut until 1875. when they came to Kansas and located in this county,
where they established their home. Upon coming here Nels Winquist home-
steaded a tract of forty acres in what is now Lincoln township, the nucleus
of the large farm now owned by the subject of this sketch. There he con-
structed a dug-out, sixteen by fourteen feet in dimensions, with a dirt floor,

'boarded sides and a sod roof, and in that humble abode the family lived for
three years, at the end of which time they were able to erect a modest
frame house, fourteen by twenty. There Nels W^inquist spent his last days.

"his death occurring on January 17, 1889. His widow survived him about

'seven years, her death occurring in 1896. They were the parents of five
Children, those besides the subject of this sketch, the second in order of birth,

-being as follows: Mrs. Augusta Benson, now deceased; Severin, who died



I008 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

in 1904, after having been engaged in farming in partnersliip with his brother
John: Malcohn. who died in 1872, the year after he came to this country,
and Hannah, also now deceased.

John A. W'inquist was fifteen years of age when he came to this coun-
try and was twenty when he came out to Kansas with the family in 1875.
From the beginning of his residence here he worked hard, not only he and
his brother laboring with their father in the task of developing the home-
stead tract upon which the family settled, John A. Winquist taking extra
employment as a corn-husker at ninety cents a day during the winters. His
brother Severin herded cattle during the summers, at a wage of twelve



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 100 of 104)