Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 101 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 101 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


dollars a month and with the extra money thus earned the brothers bought a
horse. For the greater part of the time after he came here until his death
Nels Winquist was an invalid and upon the two brothers devolved the task
of working the farm, the eldest brother taking care of his parents until their
death. After his father "proved up" the homestead he took charge of it
and proved not only a capable manager 1)ut a good farmer. He and his
brother Severin ever worked in partnership, an excellent arrangement, for
they worked harmoniously and to good effect and made money, John A.
Winquist becoming sole owner of their joint holdings upon the death of his
brother in 1904. Mr. Winquist is now the owner of eight hundred and
forty acres of excellent land in Lincoln township, the same having on it
two sets of improvements, the home place comprising a half section of
land in section 14. In addition to his general farming he does a good bit in
the way of raising live stock and markets about one hundred head of hogs
annually.

On July 20, 1890, John A. Winquist was united in marriage to Hannah
P. Sanquist, who also w^as born in Sweden. July 19, 1873, a daughter of
A. P. and Johanna Sanquist, who came to Kansas in 1887 and located in
Lincoln towaiship, but later moved to Beattie, where they are now living.
To Mr. and Mrs. Winquist seventeen children have been born, namely :
Martin W., born on August 4, 1891 : Elsie O. N., September 21, 1892;
Frank R.. November 15, 1893; Mabel V., November 2y, 1895, who married
Edward Doering, a farmer living wTSt of Axtell, in Murray towmship, and
has one child, a son, Ralph Willard; Lillie A., January 27, 1897; Mildred E.,
March 29, 1898; Albert S., January 13, 1900; Aaron Leroy, March 6, 1901,
who died on September 25, 1901 : John Leroy, June 21. 1903; Lila B., July
14, 1904; Clifford R., August 21, 1905; Carl E., September 10, 1906:
Hobart D. and Hannah (twins), January 14, 1909, the latter of whom
died in infancy: Winifred V. and Wilfred H. (twins) April 26, 191 1. the lat-



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. IOO9

ter dying at the age of one year, and Doris L., August 9, 1913. The Win-
quists are members of the Swedish Lutheran church and Mr. Winquist was a
former member of the board of trustees of the same. He is a RepubHcan and
for some time served as clerk of Lincoln township.



THOMAS H. LEWIS.



Thomas H. Lewis, a well-known and substantial farmer and stockman
of Franklin township, this county, was born on a pioneer farm in that town-
ship and has lived there all his life. He was born on September 18, 1871,
son of. William and Maria Lewis, pioneers of Marshall county, further
mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume, and grew to manhood
on the old homestead farm, receiving his schooling in the school in the
Brooks district. As a lad he used to herd cattle on the plains and helped
to break the sod, retaining distinct recollections of the old oxen used on the
farm. He remained an assistant to his father in the labors of improving
and developing the home place until he was twenty-one years of age, wdien
he rented a tract of land and began farming on his own account. In 1907
he bought a quarter of a section of land in section 35, Franklin township,
from his mother-in-law and has since made his home on that place, bring-
ing the same up to a high state of development. The place was well im-
proved when he bought it, but he has made numerous valuable improve-
ments to the same and now has one of the best-kept farms in that part
of the county.

In 1903 Thomas H. Lewis was united in marriage to Lena Tangeman,
who was born on a pioneer farm in Center township, this county, June 5,
1877, daughter of John and Dora (Duever) Tangeman, natives of Germany,
wdio became pioneers of Marshall county, where the former spent his last
days and where the latter is still living. John Tangeman was born in the
province of Hanover on June 22. 1835, and was trained to the trade of a
blacksmith, at which lie worked in the army. In 1866 he married Dora
Duever, who was also bcn-n in Hanover, May 31, 1837, and in that same
year he and his wife came to the L^nited States, the vessel on which they
came over being fourteen days in making the passage. They located at Chi-
cago, where Mr. Tangeman worked at his trade until 1871, when he came to
Kansas and homesteaded a tract of forty acres in section 4 of Center town-

(64^ - '



lOIO MARSHA],L COUNTY, KANSAS.

ship and there estabhshed liis home in a dng-ciut, in which humble abode a
son was presently born. Later, he built a ten-by-twelve house of cottonwood
lumber and in that little house two other children were born. During the
grasshopper visitations his small attempts at farming were thwarted by the
voracious pests, which ate every growing thing on the place. His first crop
was five or six acres of corn, for which he received twelve and a half cents
a Ijushel ; a similar price being also all he could get for a few potatoes he
also was able to raise. At that time Indians still were quite numerous in
this part of the state and the family often was annoyed by the lazy aboriginals
coming to the house and begging for something to eat. Presently, how'ever,
better times set in and Mr. Tangeman's affairs began to prosper, he after
awhile becoming the owner of a quarter of a section of land, on which he
did well and where he spent his last days, his death occurring on February
2, 1906. His widow is still living and now makes her home with her chil-
dren. There were seven of these children, of wdiom Mrs. Lewis was the
sixth in order of birth, the others being as follow : \\''illiam, deceased ;
Ernest, a merchant at the village of Home; G. J., a farmer in the vicinity
of Winifred : August, a merchant ; Airs. Amelia Reinhardt, wife of a hard-
ware merchant at Home, and Henrietta, deceased.

To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis two children have been born, Ruth, born on
November 7, 1906, and Russell C, December 22, 191 5. The Lewises have
a pleasant home in Franklin township and take a proper interest in the gen-
eral social activities of that neighborhood. Mr. Lewis is a Democrat and
takes an earnest interest in local political affairs, but has never been a seeker
after public office.



HENRY REB.



Among the old settlers of Marshall county the name of Henry Reb, one
of the real pioneers of this county, ^^■ho died in Vermillion township on March
24, 1874, is held in pleasant remembrance. He was one of the very
earliest settlers in this county and did well his part in the work of developing
that part of the county in which he settled. Henry Reb was born in Rhein-
ish Bavaria, Germany, in 1830, and was trained as a blacksmith and wheel-
wright in his native Fatherland. There he lived until after he had attained
his majoritv, when, in 1852, he came to this country and lived in the states
of Michigan and Iowa for a few years, and in 1858 came to Kansas and
settled in ^Marshall county. L'pon coming here Mr. Reb bought a quarter



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. lOI i

of a section of land in section 30 of what later was organized as Vermillion
township and there set up a smithy and wagon shop, the only industry of
tile kind for miles around, and his services were in immediate demand, soon
having plent>- of work. Some four or five years after his marriage in i860
M-r. Reb abandoned his smithy and gave his whole attention to the develop-
ment of his farm, on which he established his home and where he spent the
rest of his life, leaving at the time of his death in 1874 an estate of tw^o hun-
dred acres of rich bottom land, now owned by his widow, w^ho continues to
make her home there. During the Civil \\^ar Henry Reb gave his services
to his adopted H:ountry and rendered valuable service to Kansas as a member
of the Home Guards. He was a member of the German Evangelical Asso-
ciation, as is his widow, and both took an active part in church and other good
w^orks hereabout in pioneer days.

On September 14, i860, in this county, Henry Reb was united in mar-
riage to Anna Regina Lodholz, who was born at Wurtemberg, Germany,
November 10,1838, daughter of Joseph Frederick and Anna ]\Iary Lodholz,
natives of that country, the former of whom died in the Fatherland in 1843.
Four years later, in '1847, the elder son of the Lodholz family, Godfrey
Lodholz, came to the United States and about five years later, in 1852, an-
other son, George Lodholz, also came. Two years later, in 1854, the Widow
Lodholz and her daughter, Anna Regina, and another son, Frederick, fol-
lowed and settled at Terryville, Connecticut, wdiere they remained until 1858,
when they came to Kansas, accompanied by Godfrey Lodholz and his family
and settled on a tract of land they pre-empted six miles north of Beattie. in
this county. Upon coming to Kansas the Lodholz family proceeded by rail
and steamer as far as Atchison, where George met them on horseback and
there procured another horse and a wagon and thus hauled their household
goods over here to their new home in Marshall county, he having preceded
them the year before and selected the land on which they made their home.
Two years after coming to this county. Anna Regina Lodholz married Henry
Reb and has ever since made her home on the land he pre-empted upon coming
here, one of the honored and respected pioneer residents of Marshall county.

To Henry and Ann.a Regina (Lodholz) Reb five sons and two daugh-
ters were born, namely : George Henry, w^ho is at home farming the home
place for his mother; Anna Mary, at home; John F., a Marshall county
farmer, who married Lulu L. Jones and has two sons, James Henry and John
Maynard. who are now attending high school at Blue Rapids ; Frederick C.,
who died aged two years and nine months; William G., owner of a farm



IOI2 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

adjoining the old home place on the southwest, who married Susan J. Ander-
son and has one child, a son. Ralph William ; Helena Christina, at home, and
Louis C, owner of a farm adjoining the home place on the northwest, who
married Pearl H. Smith, to which union one child has been born, a daughter,
Christine Lenore. As noted above, Mrs. Reb is a member of the German
Evangelical Association and her children, Henry, Mary, Helena, \\niliam and
wife, Louis and wife, are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Bar-
rett; John and his wife belong to the Christian church. Mrs. Reb has a
pleasant home and has ever given her earnest attention to local good works.
As one of the real pioneers of Marshall county, she is thoroughly familiar
with the history of that section of the county in which she has lived ever since
coming out here in the fifties and is a ^^eritable mine of information on mat-
ters relating to the early settlement of the county.



HUTCHINSON JOHNSON.

The late Hutchinson Johnson, who was one of the pioneers of Bigelow
township, this county, and the proprietor of a fine farm in that township,
where his widow continues to make her home, was a native of the great
Keystone state and an honored veteran of the Civil War. He was born at
Troy, in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, December 17, 1840, a son of James
and Euphemia Johnson, the former of whom was twice married. Hutchin-
son Johnson was reared at Gallipolis, Ohio, and became a farmer in Meigs
county, that state, where he was living when the Civil War broke out. He
enlisted his services in behalf of the Union and went to the front with one
of the Ohio regiments. Upon the completion of his original term of enlist-
ment he re-enlisted in Company G, First Artillery, February 3, 1864, and
served with that command until the close of the war, his total period of
service covering four years. Mr. Johnson was the owner of a piece of farm-
ing property in Ohio, but not long after the completion of his military ser-
vice sold that farm and in 1866 went to Iowa, settling on a farm in Wapello
county, that state.

In Iowa, in 1874, Hutchinson Johnson married Amanda Reeves, who
died in 1875. In the next year, 1876, he was united in marriage to Laura
Smith, who was born in Iowa on June 12, 1857, daughter of \\^illis and
Minerva (Smith) Smith, natives of Ohio. Mr. and Airs. Johnson continued
to make their home in Iowa until 1881, when they disposed of their interests



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOI3

tliere and came to K:ansas, settling on the farm in Bigelow township, this
county, where Airs. Johnson is still living. Mr. Johnson bought a tract of
one hundred acres upon settling there, built a house and barn and presently
hac! a well-established farm plant, which he continued to develop and im-
prove until the time of his death, one of the progressive and enterprising
farmer? of that section of the county. He gave considerable attention to the
raising of high-grade live stock, with particular reference to Jersev cattle,
and did very well in his farming operations. Since his death his widow, who
has continued the operations of the farm, had added an adjoining "forty"
to the place and is now the owner of an excellent farm of one hundred and
forty acres. Mr. Johnson, who died on October 24, 1907, was a Republican
and gave a good citizen's attention to local political affairs. He attended the
ser\ices of the ^Methodist Episcopal church and was an active member of the
local post of the Grand Army of the Republic at Irving, in the affairs of
which patriotic organization he ever took an earnest interest.

To Hutchinson and Laura (Smith) Johnson eight children were born,
namely: Amanda, born on January i, 1878, who married Edgar Williams
and is now living at Alice, Texas; Sydney, May 12, 1882, now living near
Barrett, who married Edith Jones and has three children, Arline, Winifred
and Geneva; Clarence, February ig, 18S4. now living at Barrett, who mar-
rierl Nellie Hodges and has one child, a daughter, Thelma ; Effie, November
17, 1887, at home; William, January 5, 1891 ; Ray, July 26, 1893; Eva,
January 15, 1897. and Velma, August 26, 1899. Ray Johnson is serving
in the United States navy, now stationed on the "Huntington" in the Gulf
of Mexico. The Johnsons have a very pleasant home and take a proper part
i'-: the general social activities of the community.



JOHN H. HUNT.



John H. Hunt, one of Bigelow township's well-known and progressive
farmers and stockmen and the proprietor of a well-improved farm in sec-
tion 13 of that township, is a native of Tennessee, but has lived in this
county since the days of his infancy. He was born at Lebanon, in Wilson
county, Tennessee, April 17, 1870, son of Henry N. and Elizabeth (Cham-
pion) Hunt, both now deceased, the former of whom was born in that same
county and the latter in the state of Massachusetts, who became pioneers
of Marshall county.

Henry N. Hunt was born on June 13, 1813, and grew to manhood in



IOI4 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

A\'ilson county, Tennessee, the place of his hirth. On November 3, 1854,
in that county, he was united in marriage to EHzabeth Champion, who was
born at Lowell, Massachusetts, December 29, 1834, and he continued to
make his home in Tennessee until the year 1870, when he became attracted
to the possibilities that then were opening to the earnest settler in Kansas and
moved out to this state, settling on a farm of sixty-seven acres just riorth
of Blue Rapids, in the township of that name, that having been before the
original Blue Rapids township was divided into four, and there he spent
his last days, his death occurring on June 28, 1875, just about the time he
was becoming well established on his farm. His widow later married Thomas
Donahue and continued to make her home in this county the rest of her
life, her death occurring on October 25, 1895. Henry N. Hunt and wife
were the parents of seven children, those besides the subject of this sketch,
the fourth in order of birth, being as follows : Henry N., who died at Mul-
hall, Oklahoma, in 1916; William S., who is living in Oklahoma; James R.,
of Blue Rapids City township, and Carrie. Mary and Sarah, deceased.

John H. Hunt was but five years of age when his father died. He
was reared on a farm, attending the district school in the neighborhood of
his home in Blue Rapids City township, and at the age of fifteen began
working as a farm hand in that neighborhood, later working with his step-
father as a teamster in bridge-construction work. He was married in 1888
and in 1893 began farming, renting land in Wells township, where he lived
until 1907, when he bought his present farm in section 13 of Bigelow town-
ship, where he since has made his home and where he and his family are
very comfortably situated. Mr. Hunt is the owner of two hundred and
forty acres of land and his farm is well-improved and profitably cultivated.
In addition to his general farming he is giving considerable attention to the
raising of high-grade Hereford cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs and is doing
very well.

On June 4, 1888, John H. Hunt was united in marriage to Ella Davis,
who was reared in the neighborhood county of Nemaha, daughter of Daniel
and Maria (Seward) Davis, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and of Vir-
ginia, who came to Kansas about the year 1869 and settled on a farm east
of Corning, in Nemaha county, remaining there until about 1883, when they
came over into Marshall county and located in Blue Rapids City township,
where Daniel Davis farmed the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1907,
he then being seventy-two years of age. His widow is still living, being
now in her eighty-fifth year. To Mr. and Mrs. Hunt four children have
been born, namely: Daniel H., who married Cordelia Smith, of Bigelow, and



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOI5

is now farming at Bigelow : Albert C, who married Velma Carpenter, also
of Bigelow, and is now farming in the vicinity of Hoxie, in Sheridan county,
this state; Ruth R., who married Frank Morton, a farmer, of Wells town-
ship, and has one child, a son, Charles L.. and Charles Lester, who is at
home ably assisting his father in the management of the home farm. The
Hunts are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and take a proper
interest in church work, as well as in the general social affairs of the com-
munity in which they live, helpful in advancing all good causes thereabout.
Mr. Hunt is a Democrat, but has never been included in the office-seeking
class.



ROSS MANLY.



In the memorial annals of St. Bridget township, this county, there is
no name held in better remembrance than that of the late Ross Manly, who
had been a resident of that township since the days of his boyhood and who
became one of the best-known and most substantial farmers of the Summer-
field neighborhood, leaving to his widow and children, at the time of his
death in 1901, not only the inestimable heritage of a good name, but a
comfortable home and a fine bit of farm property in St. Bridget township,
where the family still make their residence.

Ross Manly was a native of Ohio, born on a farm in Harrison county,
that state, May 5, i860, son of Beveridge and Sidney (Stephens) Manly,
natives of that same state, the former born on July 14, 1819, and the latter,
September i, 1824, who became pioneers of Marshall county and here spent
their last days.

Beveridge Manly was a farmer in his native state and along- in the
middle seventies became attracted to the possibilities awaiting the earnest
homestead farmer in Kansas. He came out here with his family and settled
in the northeastern part of Marshall county, in that portion of what then was
Guittard township now comprised in St. Bridget township, and became a
well-to-do landowner, the proprietor of a fine farm of more than seven
hundred acres, on which he engaged extensively in cattle raising, in addition
to his general farming- operations. His wife died on the home farm on
January 2, 1892, and he survived her until 1907. They were married on
March 4. 1846, and were the parents of seven children, of whom the sub-
ject of this memorial sketch was the fourth in order of birth, the others
being as follow : Allen, who lives in Barber county, this state ; Robert, a



I0l6 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

resident of Axtell ; James, who died at his home in St. Bridget township;
Rachel Ann, widow of J. Gallagher, living at Boise, Idaho; Mrs. Josephine
Jennings, deceased, and Lucy, who married Walter Smith and is now
deceased.

Ross Manly was still a boy in his teens when his parents came to this
county and he grew to manhood on the home farm in St. Bridget township,
completing his schooling in the schools of that neighborhood, and remained
at home until his marriage, when he bought a partly-improved farm of eighty
acres in section 17 of St. Bridget township, where he lived until after the
death of his mother in 1892. when he bought an additional eighty, the west
half of the northwest cjuarter of section 17 of that same township, and there
established his home, his father thereafter making his home with him. Ross
Manly was a good farmer and in addition to his general farming gave con-
siderable attention to the raising of high-grade live stock and did very well,
coming to be regarded as one of the most substantial and progressive farmers
in that part of the county, and owning at the time of his death on ^lay, 2,
1 90 1, a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he had erected
a comfortable and attractive dwelling and which he had improved in excel-
lent fashion. He was a Democrat and had ever given a good citizen's atten-
tion to local political affairs, but had never been included in the office-seeking
class.

Ross Manly was united in marriage to Margaret Coughlin, who w^as
born in St. Bridget township, this county, November i. 1863, daughter of
John and Honora (Rodgers) Coughlin, natives of Ireland, who were mar-
ried in Kentuckv and who came to Kansas in 18^8, settling in St. Bridget
township, this county, where they built a log cabin and made their home,
thus having been among the very earliest settlers in Marshall county. In
that pioneer log cabin five of the nine Coughlin children were born. Of
these children Mrs. Manly was the third in order of birth, the others being
as follows : Mary, who married Robert Manly, of Axtell ; Catherine, whq
married W. Bowers and is living in Illinois; Anna, who married B. Gal-
lagher, of Stockton, this state; John, who died when five years of age;
Joseph, a well-known farmer of St. Bridget township; Bernard, of Axtell;
Jennie, deceased, and Alice, who is living at Summerfield with her widowed
mother.

To Ross and Margaret (Coughlin) Manly three children were born,
Alfred R.. Earl and Roy, all of whom are at home with their mother. Mrs.
Manly is a member of the Catholic church, as w^as her husband, and their
children have been reared in that faith, the family ever taking an earnest



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOI7

interest in parish affairs and in all neighborhood good works. Mrs. Manly
is the owner of a quarter of a section of land surrounding her home and she
and her family are very pleasantly and very comfortably situated.



WILLIAM T. BUCK.



William T. Buck, president of the State Bank of Vliets, and owner of
the grain elevators in that village, is a native of the Old Dominion, born in
Augusta county, Virginia, May 21, 1854, son of Napoleon I. and Mary M.
(Fahnestock) Buck, the former also a Virginian and the latter a native
of Pennsylvania, both of whom spent their last days in Virginia.

Napoleon I. Buck was born in Alorgan county, in that section of the
Old Dominion now comprised within West Virginia, April 9, 1822, son
of Isaac and Sarah ( Waugh) Buck, the former a native of Scotland and
the latter of England. Isaac Buck was born in 1797 and was but a lad when
his parents came to this county, settling in Virginia, and when the second
war of American Independence broke out in 1812 he ran away from home
in order to take part in that war, and served for fourteen days before his
father could get hold of him and take him back home. When he grew to
manhood he took a very active part in Virginia politics and served for some
years as a member of ihe Legislature in that state. Isaac Buck was twice
married and was the father of thirteen children by his first wife and four
children by his second wife. He died in Virginia in 1891, at the great
age of ninety-four years.

Reared on a farm, Napoleon I. Buck for some time followed farming.
He was appointed sheriff of his home county to fill an unexpired term and
was later elected to that office. L^pon the completion of his official term
he engaged in the mercantile business at Sangerville, Virginia, and five years
later sold his store and bought an interest in a paper-mill at Mossy Creek,



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 101 of 104)