Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 102 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 102 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


same state, and was thus engaged for nine years, or until the Civil War
broke out, destroying his business. Broken in health, Napoleon I. Buck
was unable to enlist in the service of the Confederate States to aid in sup-
porting the contention of his native state, but he paid a substitute, a valiant
Irishman, one thousand dollars in gold to represent him at the front. At
the close of the war he engaged in farming at Mt. Solon, Virginia, and
there he spent his last days, his death occurring on June 15, 1881. His
widow, who was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, 1828, and to



lOlS MAK^:ilALL COl NTY, KANSAS.

will 1111 he was married in 1850, survived him twenty-five years, her death
occurring in 1904. They were the ]iarents of nine children, of whom the
subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth and all of whom are
li\in<'" sa\-e one.

William T. Buck spent his early years on a farm and received his
elementary schooling in the rural schools, supplementing the same by a
course in the Virginia Polytechnic Institute. He early became interested
with his father in the paper-mill and when his father later became an invalid
took charge of the mill for him. In 1885 he left Virginia and came to
Kansas, locating at Shannon, in Atchison county, where he became a farmer
and grain dealer, remaining there until 1897, when he came to Marshall
county, locating at Vliets, where he boug'ht one of the elevators and also
helped to organize the State Bank of Vliets, of which he is now the presi-
dent. Later Mr. Buck bought the other elevator at Vliets and is now the
owner of both elevator A and elevator B at that place, long having been
recognized as one of the leading bankers and grain men in Marshall county.
Mr. Buck also is the owner of a quarter of a section of excellent land in
Shannon township, Atchison county, and has other interests, all of which
rank him as one of the substantial men of this county. He is a member of
the Merchants' Exchange of St. Louis and gives his earnest attention to
the general business affairs of this section. Politically, Mr. Buck is a Dem-
ocrat and is the committeeman for his party in Noble township.

On April 18, 1906, William T. Buck was united in marriage to Carrie
J. DuBois, wdio was born in the state of New Jersey, July 18, 1864, daugh-
ter of Louis P. and Sarah J. (Jones) DuBois, natives of that same state,
W'ho are now living at Vliets, members of the household of Mr. and Mrs.
Buck, both now being past eighty years of age. Louis P. DuBois came to
Kansas in 1858, having been sent out here as a means of seeking restoration
of his failing health, and entered upon the open, free life of the range,
presently becoming engaged as a freighter between Atchison and Denver
and was not long afterw^ard appointed captain of the "bull-whackers." He
later became engaged in mining in New Mexico, but after awhile returned
to New Jersey, where he married and where he remained until after his
first child, Mrs. Buck, was born, after which he returned to Kansas with
his family and rented a small farm in Atchison county. Leaving his family
there he returned to his mining property in New Mexico, but after some
years disposed of his interests there and settled down in his home in Atchi-
son county, where he remained until 1914, when he retired and moved to
Vliets, where, as noted above, he and his wife are now living, he at the age



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IOI9

of eighty-two and she at the age of eighty-one. Mr. and Mrs. Buck have
a very pleasant home at Vhets and take a proper part in the general social
activities of the village and of the community at large, helpful in promoting
all movements having to do with the advancement of the common welfare
hereabout.



HENRY W. KOENEKE.



Among the well-known and successful business men of Marshall county,
is Henry W. Koeneke, the cashier of the Herkimer State Bank, since its
organization on August 2, 1909. This banking institution was opened for
business on January 25, 1910, with the following board of directors: W. H.
Koeneke. George J. Hoerath. Henry W. Koeneke, Joseph Bluhm, J. G.
Schmidler and E. R. Fulton. W. H. Koeneke was selected as president of
the institution ; George J. Hoerath, vice-president, and Henry W. Koeneke,
cashier. The bank was capitalized with ten thousand dollars, and now has a
surplus of two thousand dollars and deposits of over seventy-three thousand
dollars. The management of the institution has been successful, and by their
business-like methods they have won the confidence and respect of all. In
May, 19 1 3. on the death of W. H. Koeneke, the board elected George J. Hoe-
rath, president, and Joseph Bluhm, vice-president, and E. W. Koeneke was
selected as a member of the board of directors to fill the place of his father,
and in January, 19 16, he was selected as assistant cashier of the bank.

Henrv W. Koeneke is the son of W. H. and Julia (Brockmeyer)
Koeneke, and is a native of this county. The father was born in Cook
county, Illinois, on a farm on July 15, 1852. He attended the common
schools of that county for a time and at the age of eight years, came with
his parents to Kansas. They located on a tract of wild land in Logan tow^n-
ship. Marshall county, and here, on the wild and unbroken prairie, they estab-
lished their home, amid the most primitive conditions. There were but few
settlers in the immediate vicinity at that time and the little family experienced
many of the hardships of pioneer life. The farm was developed and somie-
what improved with primitive structures, and in time they were in a position
to look forward to better days. The farm was enlarged, better and more
modern buildings were erected, and their position became one of substantial
progress. As a young man \V. H. Koeneke, in addition to his interests on
the farm, engaged in the lumber business, having associated himself with his
brother-in-law, William Winters, with whom he remained until 1888, when



I020 MARSFIALL COL'NTY, KANSAS.

Mr. Koeneke purchased tlie entire business, which he operated by himself.
Ill addition to tlie himber trade the men also engaged in the buying and sell-
ing of grain, which Mr. Koeneke continued. In 1888 he erected a large ele-
vator at Bremen and there did an extensive business in grain and lumber.
In early life he foresaw the future possibilities of Kansas land and became
owner of over fourteen hundred acres, which was in time placed under high
cultivation and nicely improved.

W. H. Koeneke was a most progressive man and possessed of much
busiriess acumen. He was not at all satisfied with having a thing partially
done, but he wanted it done right. He and his wife were prominent in the
work of the German Lutheran church, and Mr. Koeneke was treasurer of
the local society until his death on May 25, 1913- He was a member of
the Repu1.)lican party and took the greatest interest in the affairs of the town-
ship and the county. For many years he was treasurer of the township, and
served as a member of the school board. He was a strong advocate of the
best schools and good roads, and through his influence both received much
consideration.

W. H. Koeneke was united in marriage in May, 1878, to Julia Brock-
meyer, the daughter of Frederick and Fredericka (Martin) Brockmeyer,
both of whom were natives of Germany and came to the United States in
an early day, and for a time located in Connecticut, but later came to Kansas
at a time when the country for the most part was one stretch of wild prairie.
Here they established their liome on a farm in Hanover, where the father
engaged in general farming, until the time of his death. Julia (Brockmeyer)
Koeneke, whose birth occurred on June 5, 1859, ^"^'^^ the first child born to
her parents after their, arrival in Kansas. Here she grew^ to womanhood
and received her education in the local pioneer schools. Her death occurred
on May 17, 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Koeneke were the parents of eight children
as follow : Sophia, E. W., Mary, Julia, Henry W., Martha and two that
died in infancy. Sophia Kruse is a resident of Logan township, wdiere Mr.
Kruse is a successful farmer and stockman ; E. W. is assistant cashier of the
Herkimer State Bank and manager of the lumber yard at that place; Mary
Geyer is a resident of Waterville, Kansas, where her husband is manager of
the telephone svstem ; Julia Harmann is a resident of Logan township, where
Mr. Harmann is a well-known and successful farmer of the district and
Martha is a student in the schools of Logan township.

E. W. Koeneke was born in Marshall county, on February 22, 1884, and
was reared in the town of Herkimer and educated in the public schools, later
attending college at Midland for one year, after which he took a course at a



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I02I

business college in St. Joe. After completing his education, at the age of
twenty-one years, he engaged in the flour-mill business with his father, at
Shady Bend, Kansas. After continuing in the business for three years he
returned to Herkimer and for two years engaged in general farming and
stock raising. He then purchased the elevator in Bremen, which he sold
after six years. He then purchased the lumber yard at Herkimer, which he
still manages in connection with his duties as assistant cashier of the bank.

E. W. Koeneke was united in marriage on September 14, 1910, to Sophia
Scheibe. the daughter of John Henry and Minnie (Breneke) Scheibe, both
of whom were natives of Germany and there received their education in the
public schools and there lived until 1864, when they came to the United
States, and were married in Marshall county, in 1870. After coming to
this countrv, Mr. Scheibe located for one vear in Illinois, after which he
resided in ^Marshall countv, for six months, when for the next two and one-
half years, he worked on a railroad near Salt Lake, Utah. He then returned
to Marshall county, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of
land in Walnut township. This farm he developed and improved and here
he engaged in general farming and stock raising, with much success until the
time of his death on August 2q, 1906. Minnie (Breneke) Scheibe was born
on March 18, 1852, and after coming to the United States located in Cook
county, Illinois, where she lived until 1868. when she came to Marshall county
and was married two years later. Mr. and Mrs. Scheibe were for many
years active members of the German Lutheran church, and were among the
orp-anizers of the local church at Afton, Kansas, and Mr. Scheibe was the
first to be buried in the cemetery there. They were the parents of the fol-
lowing children : Anna Frohberg, of Afton, where her husband is a well-
known farmer ; the second child died in infancy : Christina Berger lives at
Afton, where Mr. Berger is a farmer ; Herman is also engaged in farming
near Afton ; Bertha Ludicke lives at Home City, where Mr. Ludicke is
eno-asred in the lumber business ; Lena Draver lives on a farm near Afton and
her husband is engaged in general farming; Sophia is the wife of E. W.
Koeneke ; Albert is a farmer near Afton and Alfred is on the home place.

Sophia (Scheibe) Koeneke was born in Walnut township, Marshall
county, on March 25, 1885. and received her education in the local schools
and was reared on the home farm, where she lived until the time of her mar-
riage. Mr. and Mrs. Koeneke are the parents of one child. Minnie Julia,
who was born on August 16, 1913. They are active members of the Luth-
eran church and are prominent in the social and religious life of the town.



1022 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Henry W. Koeneke ^vas born in Marshall county, on February 2^, 1890,
and was reared in Herkimer, where he received his elementary education in
the public schools, having completed the common-school course at the age
of fourteen years. He then attended Midland College for three years, after
which he completed the course in the Card Business College at St. Joe. For
some time after completing his school work, he was engaged with his father
on the farm. In September, 1909, he was employed by the First National
Bank at Marvsville, where he remained until 1910, when he assumed his
duties as cashier of the Herkimer State Bank. He is a young man of sterling
worth and held in the highest regard by all.



MORLEY P. ROBINSON.



*



Morley P. Robinson, one of the well-know^n and successful farmers and
stockmen of Blue Rapids City towaiship, Marshall county, and the owner of
eight hundred acres of splendid land, was born in Peterborough, Canada, on
January 30, 1869, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Neely) Robinson.

The parents of Morley P. Robinson were natives of Yorkshire, Eng-
land, and Ontario, Canada, respectively, the father having been born in the
year 181 2, and when two years of age, was brought by his parents to Can-
ada, and it was there that the father and mother of our subject received their
education in the common schools. They were reared on the home farms in
their respective communities, and were later married. As a young man,
John Robinson engaged in general farming and continued in the w^ork until
the time of his death in 1872. The widow and her children continued to live
at their Canadian home until 1878, when they came to Marshall county, and
established their home on a farm in Center township, wdiere they had an
undeveloped and unimproved farm of three hundred and sixty acres. The
mother, with the. elder children of the family erected a house, sixteen by
twenty-four feet, and in this they lived for a number of years. The farm
was improved and developed and here the mother died in 1896 at the age
of sixty-six years. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were highly respected people and
held in high regard by all who knew them. Mrs. Robinson, in her prairie
home, demonstrated her ability as a manager, and with her children met with
success as farmers and raisers of stock. Their lives for the first few years
were hard ones, and it required a strong determination for a woman, with a
family of children, to settle on an undeveloped prairie farm among strangers.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IO23

To her and her family much credit and praise are due for the magnificent
work that they accompHshed. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were active members
in the Metliodist Episcopal church and were prominent in all religious work.
They were the parents of nine children, only one of whom is now deceased.

At the age of seventeen years, Morley P. Robinson took charge of the
home farm, and though but a lad, he met with success. He remained on the
old home place until 1894, when he purchased a farm of his own, of one
hundred and sixtv acres in Franklin township. Here he engaged in general
farming until 1901, when he sold the place and moved to Logan county,
where he owned two thousand acres of ranch land, with a Mr. Suggett. Dur-
ing the time Mr. Robinson was on his ranch in Logan county, his family
remained at Garden. During the greater part of five years Mr. Robinson
was employed on his ranch, when in 1908 he purchased his present farm.
The place at that time was unimproved and undeveloped, but has since been
transformed into one of the fine farms of the district. The house is a large
and handsome residence and his barns, feeding sheds, silos and other build-
ings are all arranged with a view to economy and comfort. Mr. Robinson
is an extensive buyer and feeder of cattle for the markets, and twice a year
he ships five hundred head of the finest animals. He also keeps many hogs
and each year places many on the market, for which he receives the highest
market prices. His reputation is known throughout the county, as a suc-
cessful buyer and shipper of stock and as a salesman of automobiles. He
and his brother, Neil, are much interested in the county fair association,
being shareholders and are active in its management. In 1916 Mr. Robin-
son exhibited a Shorthorn bull, on which he won first prize, and at the same
time he won second prize on a young mule that he also had at the fair.

On November 20, 1894, Morley P. Robinson was united in marriage to
Laura McKee, who was born at Peterborough, Canada, on April 16, 1870,
and is the daughter of John F. and Sarah (Chalmers) McKee. When the
daughter, Laura, was one year old, the family left their home in Canada and
came to the LInited States and established their home in. Center township,
Marshall countv. The mother died some vears ago and the father is now
living in Elm .Creek township, and is known as one of the substantial men
of the township, and one of the well-known farmers of the county.

To Morley P. and Laura (McKee) Robinson have been born three chil-
dren : Harold M.. John Victor and Ethel. Harold M., now twenty years
of age, is now at home. He is a graduate of the Blue Rapids high school
and has completed the sophomore year at the University of Kansas. John



IOJ4 ]\rARSIl.\I.L COl'NTY, KANSAS.

Victor, seventeen years of age, is also a graduate of the Blue Rapids high
school and is at home. Etliel is fourteen years of age and is a student in the
Bhie Rapids schools.

^Iv. and Airs. Robinson are highly respected people and have many
friends throughout the county, who hold them in the highest regard and
esteem. They ha\e Itjug been active in the social life of the community.
They are broadminded and progressixe, and take much interest in the edu-
cational and moral development of the county. Politically, Mr. Robinson
is identified with the Republican party, and while he is not an office seeker,
he takes an active interest in the ci\'ic life of the township and the county.



BURTON MARSHALL WINTER.

Burton Marshall Winter, one of the best-known and most successful
stock-breeders in northern Kansas and the proprietor of a fine farm, the old
Winter homestead, in W'ells township, this county, is a native of the great
Empire state, but has been a resident of Kansas ever since he was eight years
of age and has therefore seen Marshall county develop from its pioneer state.
He was born in the city of Buffalo, New^ York, August 22, 1864, son of John
Marshall and Sarah Boyd (Goodman) Winter, both natives of that same
state, who later came to Kansas and established themselves on a homestead
farm in this county, where the former spent his last days and where the lat-
ter is still living.

John Marshall Winter was born in W'arren county, New York, May
21, 1832, a son of Moses W'inter, a native of Massachusetts, of old Colonial
stock, and on November 12, 1856, was united in marriage, in Warren county,
to Sarah Boyd Goodman who was born in that same county, April 6, 1834,
daughter of Samuel and Lovice (Tuttle) Goodman, also of old New Eng-
land stock, tracing back to the "Mayflov^^er" contingent, members of the
tamily also having rendered service in the patriot army during the Revolu-
tionary War. John M. Winter established his home in the city of Buffalo,
where he lived until 1872, when, on account of the failing state of his wife's
health, he came to Kansas with his family and settled in Marshall county.
Upon his arrival here Mr. Winter bought a piece of land near Blue Rapids,
but was not satisfied with that location and presently bought a homesteader's
right to an "eighty" in Wells township, of which he took possession in March,
1872, and later 1,iought an adjoining "eighty" of railroad land, still later buy-



a

o

W
2:








\ V,







1



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. IO25

ing another adjoining tract of eighty acres, thus giving him a fine farm of
two hundred and forty acres, which he developed and on which he for years
gave much attention to the raising of registered Hve stock, with particular
attention to Hereford cattle, and did very well. On that pioneer farm John
AI. \\'inter spent his last days, his death occurring on April lo, 1902. To
him and his wife were born three children, of whom the subject of this
sketch is now the only survivor, the others having been Nancy, who died in
infancy, and Catlin Goodman, who died at the age of twenty-six years. Mr.
and Mrs. Winter, in October, 1883, took into their home as an adopted
daughter a four-year-old girl, Madge Fay Walrath, who subsequently as-
sumed the name of \\^inter. On October 2, 1901, she was married to John
A. Boyd, and lives in Irving, this county, where Mr. Boyd is a farmer and
also rural route mail carrier.

Burton M. A\'inter was but eight years of age when his parents came to
this county and his schooling, which had been begun in the schools of Buffalo,
was completed in the school in district Xo. 7, in the neighborhood of his new
home in this countv. He grew to manhood on the home farm and has lived
there ever since, with the exception of one year spent in Arizona, in 1904,
he having gone there seeking betterment of health through a change of
climate. After the death of his father in 1902, Air. Winter assumed charge
of the old home farm and is now proprietor of the same, a fine tract of land,
with his home on the original homestead "eighty" in Wells township, the
remaining quarter section lying over the line in Bigelow township. Follow-
ing his father's example Air. Winter has continued the breeding of registered
Hereford cattle and has a fine herd, now numbering thirty-four head, the
products of his cattle barns being disposed of to special buyers and to large
breeders, the reputation of the Winter herd having- been well established
throughout this part of the country ever since John AI. Winter founded the
herd on his farm in November, 1875, the foundation of that herd having
been a registered Hereford heifer he bought at the Woodward sale on Elm
creek, th-e original stock having been l^rought into this state from Ohio about
1872. John AI. Winter continued breeding and had a large herd at the time
of his death, his sales over this part of the state having done much during-
the years of his activit}' toward improving the strain of cattle in this section.
In 1904 Burton AI. Winter disposed of his herd and went to Arizona, but
upon his return from there a year later renewed the herd and has ever since
given close attention to the same. For several years and at the time the
original Winter herd was sold in 1904, the famous "Theodore" was the head

(65)



lOjC) MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

of the herd and since rencwiiiii' his lierd in 1905, .Mr. Winter has had several
notahle sires, the present leader of his herd l)eino- "Simoon. No. 102857";
dam. "Lakeview Queen y\]\. No. 204372." i'^ormer lieads of his herd
were "Go On M, No. 219256": "Alliert. No. 368527". from the \\'iHiam
Acker herd, and "Sir SinKx.n NLMI, No. 451694". Mr. Winter has a
splendid herd of Herefords, gets good prices for his stock and makes a proper
profit on his sales.

On March 21, 1900, Burton M. Winter was united in marriage to Effie
A. "N'onng, who was born in Ohio on April 20, 1868. daughter of Albert and
Marv J. ( Bird ) Young, the former a native of the state of New York and
the L-itter of Ohio, who moved from the latter state to Minnesota in 1874
and thence, in 1876. to Kansas, locating at Frankfort, where Mr. Young
became engaged as a stationary engineer. He formerly had been engaged
as a locomotive engineer on the Rock Island railroad. His wife, who was
born in December, 1845, ^^i^d at her home in Frankfort on February 20,
1896. and the next year, 1897, he went to Arkansas, where he since has made
his home. He was born on May 31, 1845. ^^^'- ^"^^ Mr?,. Winter have an
adopted son, Donald Alarshall. who was born on January 22, 1909. They
attend the Presbyterian church and take a proper interest in the general
social activities of the community in which they live. Mr. Winter is a
member of the Farmers Union, of the Anti-Horse-Thief Association and
of the American Hereford Breeders Association, in the affairs of which
organizations he takes a warm and active interest.



HENRY BOTTGER.



Henry Bottger, the oldest resident of Vliets, former postmaster of that
village, former justice of the peace in and for Noble township, owner of
the elevators at Vliets, of which village he has been a resident practically
ever since it was established and wdiich, as a contracting carpenter, he did
much to build up, is a native of Germany, but has lived in this country since
he was seventeen years of age and is an honored veteran of the Civil W^ar.
He was born at Flensburg. the most populous city in Sleswick-Holstein,
September 11, 1834, son of Jacob and Dora Bottger, natives of that same
country, the former of whom was a millwright and miller and who spent all
their lives in their native land, and there he received an excellent education



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 102 of 104)