Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 11 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 11 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Marysville is the best location in Kansas for a steam saw-mill from the
fact that it is located immediately on Big Blue river, where the timber can
be rafted to the mill, and the lumber rafted below to supply the great Kansas
river valley. So you bring on your mill, set it running, and I will give you
the stock.

"Signed. F. J. Marshall."

The above liberal inducement was accepted by Messrs. Shibley and
Ouarles. who erected a steam saw-mill in the spring of 1857 and operated it
until 1 86 1, when it was destroyed.

There is no doubt that the first man who lived on the townsite of
Palmetto was Dr. J. P. Miller. Pie also had the distinction of being the
first physician in the city and it is said became very proficient in dressing gun-
shot wounds. Pie died here in 1862.

F. J. Marshall kept the first store in Marysville. It was located near
the ferrv and he sold supplies to the travelers, among other commodities,
whiskey at eighteen cents a gallon.

The first hotel was built by A. G. Barrett in 1859. It was called the
Barrett House. Afterwards the name was changed to the American, then to
Tremont House. It was the stopping place for a number of years for the
members of the bar and other celebrities who visited Marysville. Pater it
was dismantled to make room for the brick building of White Brothers,
erected in 1896.

In 1859 Ballard & Morrall opened a drug store in a small building on
the present site of Waterson's block and in 1870 moved to the site of the
building now occupied by C. Panglitz.

BRIDGE ERECTED.

On November 30, 1863, a meeting was held at the court house by the
citizens of Marysville and vicinity for the purpose of organizing a company
to build a bridge across the Blue river.

A month later stock subscriptions were t?ken at twenty-five dollars each
for three hundred and twenty-five shares. In April, 1864, the following
officers were elected: J. Samuels, president; A. E. Povell, treasurer; J. D.
Brumbaugh, secretary; directors, T. W. Waterson, J. S. Magill; architect,



Il8 M AKSIIAI.L COUNTY, KANSAS.

A. G. Jones. This bridge was completed in Xovcml)er, 1864, and served
until 1S82. when it was rci)lace(l by an iron structure hy Alarysville town-
ship.

FOURTH OF JULY, 1 862.

The first celebration of the h'ourth of July was held at Alarysville, July
4. 1862.

About five hundred people gathered in the town and a procession was
formed and marched to Spring Creek, preceded by a band.

J. H. ^IcDougal read the Declaration of Independence and Rev. Charles
E. Parker delivered a stirring address. A fine picnic dinner was served, at
which R. S. Newell acted as toastmaster and prominent citizens who were
present responded. The toast, "The Union Forever," was responded to
v, ith rousing cheers.

The festivities of the day closed with a ball in the evening.

NOT "bone dry."

In 1857 and 1858 many rough and even desperate men harbored in the
towns of ]\Iarysville and Palmetto. Liberty to them meant license and
revolvers were handy and brought into action at the least provocation. There
was no "bone-dry" law in those days and whiskey was sold as a commodity
in all the stores, besides being retailed from saloons. Liquor in those days
was as much an article of merchandise as flour or meat. Practically all of
the men engaged in business in Marysville sold hquor along with other sup-
plies. Advertisements in the Blue Valley Union of 1864 contain, "Foreign
and Domestic Liquors for sale."

Open saloons w-ere plenty and it may be truly said that a number of
the fortunes which were later achieved by residents of the city had their
beginning in the profits from sales of liquor. Then it was not an uncommon
sight to see a would-be "bad man" riding wildly through the streets shooting
in all directions but the right one, and yelling furiously and defiantly at the
onlookers. Indian squaws rode astride their scrawny ponies, their little
beady eyes glancing furtively about, the papooses swaying on their backs',
from one side to the other, all dirty and repulsive. When it is recalled that
hundreds of people passed through daily, and that sensational scenes of
gambling, shooting and fighting were constantly occurring, it is not difiicult
to believe that Marysville was a "noted," even "notorious" stopping place on
the o-reat Overland trail.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I I9

Andreas' history of 1883 says: "When Marshall established a ferry
at Marysville he did not abandon the ferry at Independence Crossing, but
continued it for several years, the travel being divided between the two
points. At the ferry at Marysville teams would gather by the hundreds
waiting tlieir turn to cross. Some impatient ones would ford the stream at
considerable risk. The capacity of Marshall's ferry was only three wagons
at a trip for which he charged five dollars per wagon. In June, 1856, the
county commissioners fixed the rate of ferriage as follows : For crossing a
loaded wagon, three dollars ; an empty wagon, one dollar and fifty cents ;
man and horse, fifty cents : footman, twenty-five cents, and all stock, twenty-
five cents per head. The board again decreased the rates of ferriage to one
dollar for crossing a six-horse wagon, and other vehicles in like proportion."

The Marysville ferry v^^as in operation until the bridge was built in
1864. This was a wooden truss toll-bridge, costing eight thousand dollars,
located where the present steel bridge now spans the river. After the bridge
was built the ferry was dismantled and discarded.

INDUSTRIES.

Marysville has always been to some extent a manufacturing city. Before
the days of prohibition, P. H. Kalenborn owned a brewery on the site now
occupied by the residence of Mrs. John Tracy. The storage cellar for the
brewery was under the bank south of where Mrs. Elliott now resides.

At the foot of the bill west of Airs. Elliott's home, John McChesney
manufactured coarse pottery, crocks, jugs and jars.

In close proximity Thomas Cooper had a brick yard. The clay not
proving of good quality, the pottery plant was abandoned and Cooper moved
his brick yard near where O. W. French lives. Later he moved it to the
western part of town near R. Y. Shibley's, in the bottom land. In time he
sold out and the Clayes Brothers operated the plant.

The VVakefields owned and operated a brick yard in the north part
of town for awhile. The brick never proved of first-class quality. At pres-
ent Marysville is without this industry.



%



EXCELSIOR MILLS.

One of the largest manufacturing industries of Marysville was estab-
lished in 1864 and known far and wide as the Excelsior Mills. No man in
northern Kansas was better or more favorably known than genial, whole-
souled Capt. Perry Flutchinson.



I20 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

He was a keen, careful Imsiness man and his mill was patronized by
farmers within a radius of seventy-five miles. Probably no industry added
more to the rapid growtli and prosperity of the county than the Excelsior
Mills.

Captain Hutchinson's death was deeply deplored. His widow and their
two sons. Frank and Wallace, are citizens of the city he helped to build up.
Wallace and Frank Hutchinson have lived all their lives in this community.
Wallace succeeded to his father's business, but owing to ill health was obliged
to retire from business. Frank conducts a general grocery and supply store
at the corner of Ninth and Broadway.

PROMINENT BUSINESS FIRMS.

Emil G. Draheim arrived in Alarysville October i8, 1874, and was in
the employ of T. W. Waterson for one year, when he took a position with
George C. Dargatz. In 1876 he entered into partnership w'ith a Herman
Dargatz, the firm of Draheim & Dargatz having purchased the store of the
senior Dargatz. This firm sold out to Arand & Ziegler in 1877, and the
same year Mr. Draheim bought out Mr. Rommel of the firm of Hohn &
Rommel. The firm was then Holm & Draheim and so remained until March
21, 1890.

On the loth of November, 1890, Mr. Draheim opened the present busi-
ness house under the name Emil G. Draheim and in February, 191 2, Mr.
Draheim associated his two sons, Walter E. and Arthur G., as partners and
the firm name is now E. G. Draheim & Sons.

The firm conducts a general store and employs four lady clerks in the
dry goods and three men in the grocery department. Air. Draheim is one
oi the popular mercliants of Marysville and has always stood for the best
things in the life of the citv.

The drug store of David von Riesen was established on October 15,
1897, and has, by the time that this history will get into the hands of the
subscribers, a career of twenty years. Mr. von Riesen has been a resident
of the state since 1876, when he landed with his parents from Germany at
Halstead in Harvey county. From liis report the outlook after opening his
store was everything but glorious on account of unclean competition. The
family of Mr. von Riesen is composed of bis wife and five children, the eldest
a son, Waldemar, has heen in constant connection with the store ever since
he was eight years old, and lias now for a long time taken care of the active
part of the business, commercially as well as scientifically. Waldemar was




BROADWAY, MARYSVILLE.




EXCELSIOR MILLS, MARYSVILLE.



MARSHALL COUNTY^ KANSAS. 121

at the time he passed the state board of pharmacy examiners less than eighteen
years old, and was the youngest American licentiate. Besides conducting the
pharmacy, Mr. ^'on Riesen has been a consistent and patriot citizen, has served
the city as councilman, and in other capacities. In 1908 the Kansas Pharma-
ceutical Association honored him for valuable service rendered, with the
presidency, and for the last six years he has been the active secretary of that
association.

THE COMMUNITY HOUSE.

Marysville has solved the community house problem in a practical man-
ner. The building, which was first erected under the auspices of the Christian
church as an athletic hall, soon grew in favor beyond denominational limits
and owing to the kindness of Alex. Schmidt, the women of Marysville took
the initiative in making it a community center. At a public meeting called
for the purpose of putting the project under proper business management, Mrs.
E. E. Forter presided as chairman and appointed a committee, the members
of which, George T. Mohrbacher, Erskine Davis and W. D. Holloway,
formulated a set of rules which have been the basis of management since that
time.

The following item appeared in the New York Independent, October
20, 1916:

"The town of Marysville, Kansas, has tried out this plan in a practical
manner, and the Marysville idea deserves careful study. It is especially
instructive because in tliis case the experiment was first launched under the
auspices of a church, a wealthy banker furnishing nineteen thousand dollars
for the erection of the building. Fully equipped and admirably managed, it
failed as a social center because it was looked upon as a religious enterprise —
though not at all so intended. After two years of experiment it was turned
over to the citizens of the town, who established a community house associa-
tion, non-sectarian, non-partisan, with a managing board of eleven men and
eleven women, with membership dues ranging from ten dollars a year for
men and boys to two dollars and fifty cents a year for girls, with trifling fees
for the pool and skates. Its success was immediate and it has become the
center of social activity for all ages and all classes. This typical community
house is located in the central part of town, which is the place where such
a building should be located.

"It contains a large reception room, with piano, reading tables and easy
chairs. Off this is a dormitory where farmers' wives may leave their babies
while shopping, a bovs' room, a library, a county Y. M. C. A. secretary's



122 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

room, toilet rooms, and a room for the women's clubs. In tlie basement is a
white tiled swimming pool, twenty Iw fifty feet, with filtered water; shower
baths are provided, and in the rear there is a large gymnasium whose floor is
used also for a skating rink.

"After eighteen months of trial it has been found that the running
expenses of such a building averaged one hundred seventy-four dollars and
twelve cents a month. A hostess and janitor are included in this expense."

The present officers are : C. M. Chandler, president ; W. W. Hutchin-
son, vice-president; J. H. Cavanaugh, treasurer; L. R. Broderick, secretary.

MARYSVILLE TURNVEREIN.

This branch of the American Gymnastic Union was organized on August
29, 1874, with the following original membership: P. A. Kalenborn, presi-
dent ; Romeo B. Werner, vice-president ; August Hohn, secretary ; Nickolas
Kalenborn, assistant secretary; Fritz Baeuerle, treasurer; Martin Piel, turn-
wart; Jacob Kuoni, assistant turnwart: Robert Boehme, custodian, and
]\Iathias Bendel, Franz Weber, John Bohner, John Kempf and Carl Rohde.
Of these only two are now living, August Hohn, Marysville, and P. A. Kalen-
born, Tacoma, Washington.

In the "Annals of Kansas," published by Hon. D. W. Wilder, this state-
ment appears :

"To Leavenworth City, the future giant city of the ^^^est, after the terri-
tory of Kansas was organized, flocked a large German immigration. The
dark and troublesome border-ruftlan days of 1855-56 drove them from their
homes, Imt they returned with increased numbers during the year of 1856,
and endured all the difficulties throughout that year.

"In the spring of 1857 a few young Germans met and organized the
Leavenworth Turnverein. As yet it was dangerous in those days to express
even Free-State sentiments. But the nucleus was formed, around which the
freedom-loving Germans of Leavenworth could gather.

"The Americans were not long in feeling the work of this association.
They are a unit and always ready to defend the right and their cause.

"We cannot here enumerate the acts of the Leavenworth Turnverein;
.suffice it to say that no action, political or otherwise, was had in Leavenworth
county without their power being felt.

"The time had passed when Free-State men could be driven from the
polls ; there was always one company ready to protect the ballot box. Kansas
now ranks the most loyal of all the states, and with pride can the Turners



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 1 23

of Leavenworth point to their acts in that struggle which made Kansas what
it is today.

''The memorable 'Kickapoo", the cannon which was used to destroy the
Eldridge House in Lawrence, is a trophy of the Leavenworth Turners and
is )et in their possession." This cannon is now in the museum of the State
Historical Society at Topeka.

GROWTH OF THE GYMNASTIC UNION.

The American Gymnastic Unirm lias, since its first appearance, in the
L'nited States in 1842. been pledged to the advocacy of liberty for all regard-
less of creed or color. Only citizens of the L^nited States, or those who have
declared their intention, to become such, can l^ecome members of the organ-
ization.

A leading object of the Liiion is the teaching of rational physical cul-
ture in the public schools along with, and parallel to, culture of the mind,
an object which has been accompli-shed to a great extent.

With this object in view the ^larysville branch of this organization
immediately set to work and in 1S75 it established its first turning school in
the building, 1004 Broadway, then an empt}- store building, now the resi-
dence of L. H. \\ ban. but at that time owned by Doctor McCall.

By 1880 this societ}^ had grown to thirty-seven members, who proceeded
to build the brick "Turner Hall", forty-two by eighty feet, at a cost of ten
thousand dollars, at the corner of Eighth and Carolina streets. This then
stately new building was dedicated with considerable ceremony on April
26, 27, 188 1.

A trades display pageant was held on one day, in which ever}' business
house in town vras represented by handsome floats, preceded by a full-rigged
ship of state, the work of Henry F. Dryer, who in his younger days had
"sailed before the mast." on all the seas of the globe.

The evening of this memorable day closed with a very creditable rendi-
tion of "Queen Esther," under the direction of William Becker, later editor
of the Marys^'illc Post (German) and of the Democrat (English), and post-
master of the city.

From the time of the finishing of this building to the present day, the
Turnverein has always furnished a well-equipped gymnasium and competent
teachers free of charge to children and adults.

In 18S9 a new brick gymnasium, thirty-six by sixty feet, was erected
and fully equipped, an addition to the original building, at an expense of



124 MAUSIIALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

twelve thousand dollars, and this oyninasium has ncxcr heen without a com-
petent director, nor has it ever heen closed for any time other than summer
vacation.

The society has spent thousands of dollars for teachers' salaries, hut
has never charged tuition for tlie prixilege it extended in its school. It has
sent its classes to all of the district and to many of the national Turnfests or
field days, where they have always taken high rank in athletics.

PRESENT OFFICERS.

At its hest this society had a memhership of more than two hundred
and fifty. On January ist, 191 7, it had one hundred and twenty-five mem-
hers with officers as follow : President, Charles F. Woellner ; vice-president,
August Hohn ; secretary, A. W. Kersten ; assistant secretary, Carl Hanni;
treasurer, George T. Mohrhacher; Anton Kienlen, financial secretary; Walde-
mar von Riesen, first turnwart ; Charles Wiedemeyer, second turnwart ; John
Luther, Jr., custodian, and Hugo A. Hohn, H. Ackermann and August
Leifheit, trustees.

The Turners were the pioneers in the field of physical education in the
United States and have to a great extent accomplished their purposes in
the firm estahlishment of physical culture in our puhlic schools and the
Marysville 'j'urnverein was no small factor in fostering the same in its
sphere of usefulness.

Hugo Rohde. now a farmer near Herkimer, was the first instructor
for the Turners at Marysville. Twice a w^eek for several years, he came seven
miles from his father's homestead to donate his services.

Paul Witte, now of Home City, a graduate of the Hanover, Germany,
College of Phvsical Culture, had charge of the school for two vears.

Samuel Porter, of Alarysville, A\as the instructor for fourteen years.
At one time during his tutelage a class of thirty ladies attended the school.

^Ir. Carl Hanni, of Marysville, was for several years the instructor.
Emil Heuler is in charge of the school at present. August Holm has served
as president of the Marysville Turn\-erein for a ])eriod of twentv-five years
and has at all times given freely of his time and energy to the upbuilding of
the society.

PROMINENT PERSONS WHO HAVE VISITED MARYSVILLE.

The citizens of ]\Iarysville have for many years liad the opportunity of
hearing the best speakers of all political parties who have visited Kansas.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 1 25

All the governors for the past forty years have included Marysville in their
campaign itineraries.

Hon. \V. J. Bryan and Theodore Roosevelt have addressed our citizens
here, and state candidates never fail to give Marysville a call.

The citizens support an eight-day Chautaucjua course.

In the year 1892 Alary sxille was visited by a detachment of Coxey's
Army en route to Washington, D. C. Among the "unwashed throng" was
a youth with deep-set, inquiring eyes, who afterwards became known to the
people of two continents. His name was Jack London. He died in October,
1916.

OLD-TIME THEATRICALS.

Prior to the erection of Turner Hall, traveling troupes were obliged to
produce their dramas in the W'aterson Hall.

In the fall of 1873 a number of people came out from Boston. The
men were going farther West hunting buffalo and the ladies came to see the
Western country. They put up in Alarysville at the Tremont House and
during the week gave the citizens their first real taste of fine dramatic talent.
With that company was "Cy" Robinson, a son of Yankee Robinson, the
great circus man, and McDermott, who starred as "Marks," in "Uncle Tom's
Cabin."

The plays gixen were standard and the hall was crowded at every per-
formance. Kendalls from Boston also "made Marysville." After the Tur-
ner Hall was erected many leading actors looked in on us. John Dillon
played "The Road to Selzerville," and Louie Lord appeared in "Leah, the
Forsaken," in that hall.

Since the erection of the Theater Grand the people of the city have had
presented many of the leading dramas and traveling artists express surprise
at finding this bijou theater in a town of this size. Mr. Frank Yaussi, the
owner and proprietor, is one of the big, public-spirited men of the city, and
the theater is always under excellent management.

MARYSVILLE BANDS.

One of the first men in tlie city to plan for the systematic study of music
was Capt. W^illiam Lofinck. who is still a resident of Marysville.

In the summer of 1872 Marysville began putting on metropolitan airs.
Captain Lofinck at that time owned and operated a saloon in the building
now occupied by the farm bureau agent.



126 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

The sunken i;ar(!cn on the east afforded a cool, retired place for practice
and also was near the saloon. Captain Lofinck agitated the formation of a
band and tlie ubi(jnitons Pete Peters, editor of the Locomotive, pushed the
idea and soon the band was an institution.

William Becker, then of Sabctha, was the leader and made semi-
monthly visits to Alarysville as band instructor.

In January, 1873, John D. Walters, who for the past forty years has
been actively associated with the great Kansas State Agricultural College at
AFanhattan and who is at present dean of architecture and drawing in the
college, became the leader of the band. The members were : P. H. Peters,
William Lofinck, Smiley Waterson, AL W. Samuels, Billy Linn, Billy Cott-
rell, H. .S. Clark, Sam Ryser, AL J. Duigenan, Henry Kauzman and "Buck"
Swearengen. The band, which gave open-air concerts in Lofinck's garden,
was very popular and lived several years. Finally, Walters went to the col-
lege ; Ryser, Samuels and others left and the band ceased to meet.

LYON POST HAND.

In the winter of 1879 Lyon Post band was organized and Captain
Lofinck W'-as responsible for this band. Eugene Scherer was the leader, but
pro\-ed a failure.

MA.RYSVILLE CORNET BAND.

Tn January, 1880, Sam Foi"ter hunted up the members of the first band,
found some new talent and B. Price was the leader.

In the spring of 1881 C. F. Barks and his son, Herman, came to Alarys-
ville. Both were professional musicians of good class. The Marysville
Cornet and Lyons Post bands were consolidated, with Herman Barks as
leader, under the name of Lyon P^ost band, Lyon Post, Grand Army of the
Republic, having furnished some of the instruments. Herman Barks was
a strict taskmaster and the band made rapid progress. In 1882 W^illiam
Barks, brother of Herman, arrived in Alarysville and accepted the leadership
and from that time the band became known as the Barks Military band.

The Barks Military band had a long and successful career and its mem-
bership reached thirty-six in number and its reputation extended beyond local
limits. It w^as by far the biggest and best band at the Grand Army of the
Republic encampment at Grand Island, Nebraska, and played in many of the
larger towns in northern Kansas and southern Nebraska. For three suc-
cessive years this band was called to Enid, Oklahoma, to play for the "strip



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I27

opening celebrations." The membership of this band consisted of Wilham
Barks, leader ; Herman Barks, second leader ; C. F. Barks and William
Barks, Jr., Sam Forter, president; Arthur Hohn, secretary; N. S. Kerschen,
treasurer; William Becker, B. Price, H. W. Hagar, J. R. Allen, Auldice Hale,
William Binding, Nick Grauer, Walter Draheim, E. J. Fehrenkamp, John
and Frank Moser, Charles Shaw, F. E, and Charles Davis, Henry Wolff,
Henry Bodenner, Frank Knipp, IF Selz, Scholl Brothers, Thromm Brothers,
G. Brauchi, Flerbolsheimer Brothers, Theo. Hammett and H. E. Clark.
Ernst Fange was drum-major.

In 1900 William and Herman Barks moved to Tacoma, Washington,
and since then the band has been kr.own as the Marysville cornet band. It
has had many different leaders and an ever-changing membership.

MARYSVILLE CEMETERY.

"The clock beats out the lives of men."

The Marysville cemetery was incorporated with a capital stock of two



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 11 of 104)