Emma Elizabeth Calderhead Foster.

History of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions online

. (page 15 of 104)
Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 15 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Lumber and coal yard — Peter McMahon.
Implements— D. C. O'Neil, W. E. Bachoritch, L. E. Helvern.
Grocery and meat market — Burnside and Falk.
Shoe repair shop — A. D. Stoz.
Restaurant and bakery — O. Krotzinger.
Bakerv — George Giles.
(11')



l62 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

Hotel— Mrs. M. B. \\\iters.

Dentist — Dr. J. E. Eden.

Garage — C. F. Earhart.

Printing office — The Bcattic Eagle; Fred Reed, publisher and owner.

Physicians — Dr. W. E. Ham, C. F. McFarland and E. H. Gist.

Produce market and feed store — M. McMahon.

Photo studio — Charles Lenington.

Gents' furnishings — George Schneider.

Blacksmith shops — M. C. Giles, F. A\\ \Veis, Bishop Barber.

Beattie Electric Light Company, David Hockman, owner, furnishes
Beattie and Home City with light and power.

The Farmers Mutual Telephone Company operate one hundred and five
telephones in town and has fourteen country lines.



BTGELOW.



Bigelow is a sm.all village in Bigelow township, on the central branch
of the Missouri Pacific railroad, between Barrett and Irving, named for Gen-
eral Bigelow, an official of the Missouri Pacific Railroad.

In 1 88 1 Jacol) Inman opened v.ork in the fine limestone quarries. A
few houses were built and in order to provide homes for those who operated
the quarries, Inman platted forty acres of liis farm into town lots and sold
the lots at a nominal price, on condition that the purchaser of one lot, on
putting up a house, should receive free of charge an adjoining lot. This
was known as Inman's Addition. Corner lots were reserved by the owner.
Alany men took advantage of the offer and secured homes. Some of the
original settlers li\e on the property thus acquired. In 1883 a school house
containing two rooms was liuilt from the native limestone. The first teacher
was Thomas Colliers and only one room was used. The next year E.
Carrico taught the grammar grade and a Miss Tweedy, the primary. Since
that time two teachers have been regularly employed. The present teachers
are Robert Shope and Eva Johnson ; enrollment, forty.

In 1884 Christ church was built. Jacob Inman and DeWitt Grift'es
were the men who were foremost in the eft'ort and they contributed largely
to the cost of the building. In memory of their faithful work and gifts,
the doors of this church are never closed on the Lord's day and services
are held at all times possible.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 1 63

In 1894 Mrs. T. \V. Mead agitated the question of building the First
Alethodist church, and it was largely through her efforts that the fine build-
ing, of limestone taken, from the quarries, now is enjoyed by members of
that faith as a church home. The church is thirty by forty feet in dimen-
sions, and is a building of which the citizens of the town are justly proud.

H. A. Carpenter built and lived in the first house in Bigelow. John
W'atters was the first blacksmith.

The quarries have been exhausted and many of the old settlers have
gone to tlieir rest, Init Bigelow has grown and at present has the following-
business houses: J. W. Seldon, general store; J. P. Canaday, general store;
J. E. Chitty, president, State Bank; C. O. Musser, lumber and coal dealer;
Griffee Chitty, grain and stock buyer; .A. J. Turley, blacksmith; Mrs. James
Milgate & Son, hotel.

A. J. Harvey, a prominent young man of Bigelow, was elected county
clerk of Marshall county, November 7, 191 6.



TOWN OF BREMEN.

Bremen is located on the St. Joseph & Grand Island railroad, nine miles
northwest of Alarysville and one mile from the Washington county line, in
the center of as rich a farming community as there is in the county. The
latest census gives it a population of one hundred. In 1886 Henry Brenneke
laid out the town and built tlie first house on the southeast corner of his farm,
adjoining the railroad. He named the new tov.n after a seaport in Ger-
many, near which he was born. The same year he erected a store building
in which he carried on a general mercantile business and was appointed post-
master. For a time. Otto Peicker was his partner in the store, but Mr.
Brenneke carried on an extensive live stock and grain business on his own
account.

Carl Schultz built a blacksmith shop in 1888, which he has been con-
ducting continuously ever since. In 1890 Joseph Sedlacek built a hardware
store with a spacious hall in the second story. Charles Fischer started a
restaurant and lodging house soon after, and Louis Pralle built a store for
seiieral merchandise. William Raemer, from Herkimer,, opened a lumber
yard, which he later sold to the Dursee brothers, and which was still later
owned and conducted by Gus. Dursee until his death.

In August, 1907, the State Bank of Bremen was organized and did a



t64 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

flourishing" business in the l)U''kling formerly occupied by Mr. Fischer, who
had dieib

During tlie night of ^larch 17, igo8. the little town was entirely wiped
out by lire causing a loss of more tlian twenty thousand dollars. But undis-
n:ayed l:y this calan.ity, the good people proceeded at once to rebuild in a
more substantial manner an.d soon a much better town was erected.

largf: sum in bank notes oestroved.

'ilie f()ll(j\\ing incident growing out of this fire is well worth recording"
in this history. On the close of business the day before the fire, the banker
placed all of the paper currency, several thousand dollars, in the little wooden
box where it was always kept, and placed it in the safe wdiich was burglar
proof, but did not prove to be fire proof. When the safe was opened it was
found that the wooden box containing the paper money had burned to ashes,
but that the currency, though burned to charcoal, was still intact and not
e\'en broken.

William H. Smith, of Marysville, who was a stockholder in the bank,
carefully jjacked this charcoal in cotton and in a leather satchel, which never
left his hand until he placed it on a table at the treasury department in Wash-
ington, D. C, where the chief of the redemption division turned it over to
Mrs. Brown for identification. After working on this little pile of charcoal
for four days, Mrs. Brown reported that every bill could be redeemed except-
ing one fi\ e-dollar lank note, on which neither the number nor the name of
the bank was discernible. Needless to say that when Mr. Smith left Wash-
ington with the lot of brand new treasury notes, which were given him for
the charcoal, whicli he carried all the way to Washington so gingerly, lest it
might go to pieces, he was a very happy man.

BUSINESS INTERESTS.

The following are the business interests represented in Bremen in 1917:
Postoffice, fourth class, money order office with two rural routes, John
Sedlacek, postmaster.

Sedlacek & Son, hardware, furniture and auto supplies.
Rengstorf Brothers, hardware, implements and autos.
Prell Merchandise Company, general merchandise.
Bremen State Bank, F. H. Pralle, cashier.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 165

Elevator, Fred. Crome.

Blacksmith, Carl Schiiltz.

Lumber yard, Airs. Diirsee & Son.

Hotel, Fred. Prell, proprietor.

Telephone exchange, Hanover and Odell, Nebraska connection.

Bremen Farmers Mutual Insurance Company, William Rabe, president;
F. H. Fralle, secretary, and F. W. Stohs, treasurer.

The latter company was organized on March 26, 1888, at which time
a few German farmers associated themselves for mutual protection against
fire losses. From this \ery humble beginning the organization has grown
to be one of the biggest and most reliable mutual insurance concerns in the
state, v.'ith agents in thirteen counties, insuring farm property against fire,
lightning and tornado accidents. On Deceml)er 31, 1916. the company had
one thousand five hundred and forty-one members and carried three millifrn
two hundred sixty-eight thousand eight hundred and fifty-two dollars in
risks.



TOWN OF GARDEN.

Carden is a busy little town, located on the Union Pacific & Grand
Island railway, four miles east of Marysville. It was founded about fifteen
years ago on the farm of Mrs. Ottilia Carden. now Mrs. Peter Dugdale.
Tiie town was named Carden in her honor.

The first building in town was the elevator erected by J. E. Andrews.

Ed. Crevier next built a store and a blacksmith shop. A few years later
Andrews took possession of the store and a Mr. Thomas, the blacksmith
shop. Later, J. E. Andrews sold the store to T. J. Menzel, who conducted
it up to three years ago, when C. A. Taylor bought it and is still the owner.

The postoftice has been established fourteen years and fifteen families
are served with mail. The office does about seven hundred dollars worth
of business a year.

Carden has twenty-five daily trains and ships from two to three hun-
dred cars of grain and stock each year.

There are four families living in the town. There is no church, but
a fine school, with Mabel Tays, of Marysville, in charge.



1 66 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.



CITY OF FRANKFORT.

Frankfort is the third city in size in Marshall county and is located
eighty-seven miles west of Atchison an.d twenty-three miles south of Marys-
ville.

In 1867 the F'rankfort Town Company was organized in Marys\-ille
with the following members : F. Schmidt, C. F. Koester, J. S. Alagill, John
AlcCoy, P. H. Peters, John Bollinger, Perry Hutchinson, R. S. Newell and
James E. Smith. In August, the same year, the company purchased section
16, township 4, range 9, and laid out a townsite, which they named Frank-
fort. In consideration of receiving a depot and a side track, the town com-
pany ga^•e the Central Branch Railroad Company one-half the townsite.
The railroad reached Frankfort in 1867 and that fall a depot was built. The
first houses in Frankfort \\ere built by Frank Schmidt, J. S. Magill and R.
S. Xewell. O. C. Horr built and operated the first store in 1867. In 1868
seven dwellings were built and two business houses were erected, which were
owned by Jacob A\'eisbach and O. C. Horr. In 1869 fifty-four substantial
buildings were erected and one of the best hotels in the country was built
and opened to the public. The town made rapid progress and from that day
to this has been a splendid business center. The residence portion of the city
was for man}' years far in advance of any town in the county and the sub-
stantial farmers of the Valley of the Vermillion ga\-e the town strong
patronage.

ORGANIZATION.

Frankfort was organized as a city of the third class on July 24, 1875.
The first city election was held on August 10, 1875. R. S. New'ell was
elected mayor. The first city officials were : R. S. Newell, mayor ; E. Brady,
I. C. Legere. J. Marksman, W. Schmicker and F. B. Taylor, Sr., councilmen;
J. Gano, police judge: S. B. Todd, city clerk: S. D. AIcKee, treasurer: G. D.
Osborne, marshal.

A postoftice had been established two miles southeast of the present
townsite of Frankfort, and was called Nottingham. D. C. Auld was the
first postmaster : he was succeeded by O. C. Horr. The postofifice was moved
to town and the name changed to Frankfort.



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 1 67

SCHOOLS.

School district Xo. 35 was organized in ]\Iarch, 1869, at the home of
O. C. Horr. At the first election held, W. Trosper was elected director;
J. Weisbach, treasurer, and R. S. Newell, clerk.

In the spring of 1870 bonds to the amount of one thousand six hundred
dollars were issued and a frame school building, twenty-four by forty feet,
was erected. This building was used until 1880, when it was sold and used
for a private residence. During this same year a new edifice built of lime-
stone was completed at a cost of four thousand dollars. In 1884 an addi-
tion was made to the main building and it was used for primary purposes.
Since then many impro\-ements have been made and Frankfort now has a
well-equipped school, with a full high school course and a splendid corps
of teachers. R. S. Hazard is the present superintendent, with seven high
school teachers and six grade teachers.

The high school includes college preparatory, general and commercial
course, domestic science and art, and a course in agriculture.

The present board of education is: Dr. M. A. Brawley, director; J. M.
Rhodes, treasurer; George B. Heleker, clerk. G. B. Heleker, the clerk of
the board, is a practical educator, having served as superintendent of the
Marysville and Hanover schools for several years. He is at present engaged
in the mercantile business in Frankfort and always takes a deep interest in
the schools.

BUILDINGS.

One of the finest buildings in Frankfort is the garage recently built by
James Kennedy, present county commissioner. Mr. Kennedy is a son of
William Kennedy, one of the early settlers on Irish creek. The garage was
opened in December, 191 5, and is one of the best in the state. It is open
day and night; trained mechanics are employed and an extensive business is
done. In connection with the garage, which is modern in every particular,
is a well-furnished rest room, with Catherine Ryan in charge. Aliss Ryan
is a daughter of J. FI. Ryan, one of the early settlers.

An art studio is conducted by C. E. Koentz, who is a son of Dr. J. P.
Koentz, a pioneer Kansan.

Tlie Crevier elevator is owned by AA'illiam Crevier and managed by
George Gano. An extensive business is done.

C. J. Haskett owns and operates the elevator built in 1901 by William
Perkins. It ships four hundred thousand bushels of grain annually.



l68 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.

ELECTRIC LIGHT PLANT.

Frank Dwindell owns and manages the light plant which is one of the
best industries of the town.

J. C. iMason, who is a brother of the poet. Walt Mason, of Emporia, is
a resident of Frankfort and a big property owner. Mr. Mason travels for
Hawk Brothers, of Goshen. Indiana, but maintains business interests in
Frankfort and has been a resident of that city since 1882.

William Raemer, a former resident of Herkimer and a member of the
state Legislature some years ago, is now a resident of Frankfort. He is
engaged in conducting a modern garage and automobile business.

D. C. Brodbeck is one of the influential citizens of Frankfort and has
been a member of the city council for years and is always interested in public
affairs.

Dr. V/illiam M. Green is one of the practising physicians of the city and,
with Dr. J. L. Brady, has a large practice. Doctor Brady has served as
vice-president of the Marshall County Medical Society and served as coroner
in 1916.

C. W. Brandenburg is one of the leading Democrats of both county and
state. Fie is a dentist by profession. His wife is the present postmistress
of Frankfort.

COMMERCIAL CLUB.

Frankfort has a live commercial club of one hundred members. The
meetings are held in a large room in the Mason block. This room is also
used by the Frankfort band for a practice room. Another room of the same
block is used for the ladies library.

HOTELS.

The Savoy Hotel, which was built by Doctor Bailey in 1869-70, is now
managed by Mrs. A. J. Lewis and continues to be a favorite stopping place
for the older residents of the county and surrounding territory.

The Blodgett House is owned by Charles W. Blodgett, and is the family
hotel of Frankfort. The host is a genial and kindly pioneer.

BUSINESS FIRMS OF FRANKFORT, I917.

Robert G. Nichols, jeweler and optometrist.
David W. Shearer, furniture and undertaker.




;T^r*i^:»;..:i . ^-^


-■'"^'''^'t.n.




mm^^m



CITY PARK, FRANKFORT.




BUSINESS SECTION, FRANKFORT.



I PUBLIC I



Tii



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 169

Dalton, Dalton & Adams, bakery and groceries.

Radcliffe, harness maker.

L. V. B. Taylor, drugs.

Scholz, general store.

C. H. Curtis, hardware.

\\\ J. Gregg, attorney-at-law.

H. \\\ Freed, men's furnishings.

P. E. Boniface, bakery.

Howard Reed, county agent for Studebaker autos.

F. W. Sylvester, lunch room.
Etta \V. Chamberlin, millinery.

J. R. Wasser, manager, Farmers Union Produce Company.

W. F. AIcKeon, Kansas cash store.

W. H. Hardman, tailor.

L. E. Luckens, jeweler and optometrist.

T. B. Bolton, variety store.

W. C. Brown, clothing store.

R. vS. McGhie & Company, hardware.

Gregory & Stevens, dry goods.

Brawley & Son, physicians.

J. J. Drummond, physician.

\V. H. Barrett, meat market.

Anderson & Smith, laundries.

Candy kitchen, W. H. Scott.

Pantatorium, R. H. Stever.

G. W. Fundis, implements.
F. V. Rankin, drugs.

P. Al. Rathbun, Central Lumber Company.

George H. Coons, Searle & Chapin Lumber Company.

The building of the Topeka-'AIarysville branch of the Union Pacitic rail-
road gave Franfort a new railroad. It also opened easy communication with
the county seat and with the north generally. The new depot is a neat,
modern structure.

The number of cars shipped from the Union Pacific station for the year
ending ist of January, 191 7. is as follows:

Hogs, 86 cars; cattle, 62 cars; horses and mules, 8 cars; sheep, 12 cars;
wheat, 12 cars; corn, 21 cars; emigrants, 10 cars; hay, 12 cars.



170 MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS.



THE STUDY CLUB.



The Ladies Literary Study Club of Frankfort was organized twenty-
five years ago, its first president being Mrs. McGillivary, wife of the Pres-
byterian minister, who was the resident pastor of that church. The mem-
bers donated five dollars each for the purchase of books for the library and
secured many books from friends. The liljrary has grown and is well patron-
ized. The city council donates the use of a room and shelves for the books.

The membership of the club is thirty and the present officers are:
President, Mrs. A. P. Hampton; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. L. V. McKee.
The meetings are held every two weeks.

Other clubs in the vicinity of Frankfort are: West Fork Mutual
Improvement Club, Country Club, Sunshine Club, Jayhawkers Club, Mothers
Club.



TOWN OF HERKIMER.

Herkimer is a town of one hundred and thirty inhabitants, located on
the St. Joseph & Grand Island railroad on Raemer creek, five miles north-
west of Marysville. The first white men to select claims for homes near
where Herkimer is located, were the Friederichs brothers and H. Lenker,
who settled on Horshoe creek in 1858; Henry Heppermann and George
Goelitz came in 1859 and settled on what became Raemer creek. They were
followed in i860 by Fred Philip and William Raemer; I. and N. Holloway,
James Bartlow, Thomas Koeneke and others. When the war broke out in
1 86 1, George Goelitz went back to St. Louis, Missouri, to "fight mit Siegel,"
returning to Marysville after the war.

In 1878, Adam Keller, who owned land adjoining the railroad, laid out
a town and named it "Bryan" in honor of Billy Bryan, a very popular pas-
senger conductor on the railroad. The postofiice department refused a
postoffice by that name and so Mr. Keller named the office and the new
town "Herkimer," after his old home town in the state of New York. As
early as 1874, a Mr. Funk was sworn in postmaster of "Raemer Creek" at
the home of Fred Raemer, at which time a few letters were mailed and the
stamps canceled by writing the name of the office and the date across them,
just for the novelty of the thing, and tliat was all that this office ever did.
Funk was a shoemaker and he was promised the postoffice provided he
would build and operate a shoeshop and start a town; but when he learned



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. I7I

what the duties of a postmaster involved, he disappeared, leaving the locality
minus a shoeshop, a postoffice and postmaster.

The first postmaster at Herkimer was Adam Keller, succeeded by V. W.
Emmert, Dr. R. L. Tayes, Christ. Huber, R. L. Tayes, Henry Dursee and
Albert Stengelmeier, the present incumbent.

In 1879 the neighboring farmers contributed a lot of work for a side-
track, doing the scraping and leveling, and in 1880 a depot was built, with
Charley Tobias as agent.

SOME FIRST EVENTS.

The first residence on the townsite was built by Adam Keller; the first
business house — a general store — by Wesley Ulsh in 1880; H. Amelunxen
built a double one-story frame store on the east side, soon after. John
Huber built a hardware store and tinshop, and Aug. Fisher a blacksmith
shop on the west side. In 1881 V. W. Emmert started a lumber yard, and
erected a warehouse for handling grain. Dr. R. L. Tayes built a drug store
and office in 1883; Herman Engel was the first harness maker in town, he
came in 1884. About that time Charles and Anton Huber erected a two-
story double frame store, the second story being used for theatre and public
gatherings. A steam-grain elevator was moved from Hanover to Herkimer
in 1889 by W. H. Koeneke, Hon. William Raemer joining him in the grain
business in 1892. The German Evangelical church was built in 1890 at a
cost of two thousand five hundred dollars. The German Lutheran church
was built in 1892, costing (including parsonage and parochial school house)
about five thousand dollars.

On April 26, 1902, a fire destroyed every business building in town
except the elevator and Doctor Tayes' drug store, causing a loss exceeding
forty thousand dollars, and to this day the town has not fully recovered.

Business firms represented in Herkimer on January i, 191 7, are Herki-
mer State Bank, G. J. Hoerath, president ; H. W. Koeneke, cashier ; general
mercliandise, George J. Hoerath ; hardware and postoffice, Albert Stengel-
meier; garage and automobile, J. H. Krug; barber shop, Fred Woellner;
shoe shop, George Burger; implements, Nick Miller; blacksmith, Christ
Peterson : meat market, Henry Schierkolk ; restaurant, Mrs. John Prell ;
drug store, R. L. Tayes ; lumber yard, Ernest Koeneke ; electric light plant
and pool hall, John Krug; grain elevator. Farmers Union.

Herkimer has alwavs maintained an excellent school. From a one-



lyZ ArARSTTAT.I^ COUNTY, KANSAS.

teacher school with intermediate grades, it has grown to a two-teacher school,
carrying pupils through the preparatory high school work. The comfortable
building is thoroughly e(|uii)pe(l and trained teachers emjjloyed.



VILLAGE OF HULL.

Hiis little village, located on the Union Pacific raitway, six miles north
of Marysville, is named for a great manufacturing city in England.

It was laid out on section 3, township 2, range 7, by John Nesbitt, on
the above-described land, which originally was the Paddy Donovan home-
stead. Donovan came here in i860 and was a well-known character in the
north half of the county. Pie sold his land to John Nesbitt, who induced
the railway company to put in a switch in 1884. Nesbitt sold the land to
Perry Plutchinson, who later sold it to H. P. Benson. S. C. McCarter built
the first residence in Hull and John King erected the first store. R. G. Will-
iams built the second store in 1886 and H. P. Benson having been appointed
postmaster and R. G. Williams, deputy, the postoffice was kept in William's
store. Benson served as postmaster until 1895, when H. C. Small was
appointed. The railway station was built in 1898. William Schwindamann
is the present station agent.

In 1867 a log school house was built on the original Paddy Donovan
farm. Ruth Bigham was the first teacher. There were ten pupils in attend-
ance. Once a week William Burroughs walked from Marysville and taught
singing by the old do, re, mi method. Literary societies were held and once
in awhile, a spelling bee.

There were five resident families. There was no bridge and a ferry
was used for crossing the Blue river.

The first elevator was built in 1891 by David Daikers and operated by
him until 1894, when he sold out to the Nebraska Elevator Company, which
built a much larger elevator, which they own now. The foreman is John
Wassenberg.

C. H. Travelute and wife were among the first settlers of Marshall
county. They lived in Hull from 1889 until their death in 1899.

Among other early settlers were Charles Emery, who lived in a log
cabin for many years. He was badly injured by the falling of a platform
in Frank Schmidt's grove, while attending a centennial celebration on July
4, 1876, and later died from injuries received then. Peter Blodgett, Frank



MARSHALL COUNTY, KANSAS. 1 73

Bntterfiekl, \\'ilHam Helms. Finla_y McDojiald, were other early settlers,
who homesteaded near the present site of Hull.

In 1 89 1 Hull having become a logical shipping point for the surround-
ing country, the commissioners were petitioned to build a bridge over the
Blue ri\-er, which they refused to do. The farmers were obliged to ferry
their grain across the river from tlie farms on the west. So three energetic
men united their efforts, donated lijjerally, and secured donations from others,



Online LibraryEmma Elizabeth Calderhead FosterHistory of Marshall County, Kansas : its people, industries, and institutions → online text (page 15 of 104)